A personal history of Mutation, or how I spent my teen years. Chapter 26.

Printer-friendly version

I woke up, instantly knowing it was a mistake. Jeanette already knew, of course. I groaned theatrically to let her know I knew she was there, and she offered me access to a straw.

"Try and drink, Mistress."

It took some angling, but I managed to take a sip without spilling it all over myself; it was a familiar taste, which somehow tasted slightly different; Gatorade?

"You are dehydrated, among other concerns. Please, drink more."

I managed another three sips before spitting out the straw. The liquid was a balm to my scratchy throat. Jeanette moved the glass away, placing it on her service tray. There were some goodies there, and some pills of questionable provenance.

There was no coffee, however.

I couldn't really move much; I was just too tired. Was it morning? The clock at my bedside seemed to say it was; a mere four minutes from the morning alarm, unless I was much mistaken.

I had been fine last night; why did I feel so much like week old garbage now? "Whu?"

Absolutely brilliant min, how expressive of you.

"I do not know," Jeanette responded. "It seems you have gotten ill somehow, and your normal physiology has worsened the effect. Please bear with it for now, as I will certainly nurse you back to health quickly."

Well, it wasn't like I had a choice or anything. It was bear with it or not. I levered myself up with some effort, and suddenly felt cold; just having my blankets off my upper half made me shiver.

Still, sitting mostly upright against my headboard was a success, currently. "How did this even happen?"

"The normal way for a human, I suspect," Jeanette answered with just a hint of sarcasm. "Schools are breeding grounds for disease, and your immune system is already compromised. Such things will be unavoidable in the future, even if precautions are taken."

That meant I was even more sick than I thought I was? This condition was chronic, or at least my susceptibility was? That was bullshit.

"That's bullshit."

Jeanette nodded at my outburst, even as I realized I'd said it out loud. Even as I realized my voice was both croaky and weak.

"Life is often unfair, so I've read," Jeanette answered. "I'll return in a moment. For now, please stay in bed."

She left the tray balanced on my nightstand and left. The words were pointless really, since I didn't really have the energy to do more than slump.

Well, slump and wish I had that straw back in my mouth; it was odd. I was cold, but my mouth wanted something cold to drink. It hadn't even been that long since I drank the stuff.

Jeanette made her way back with a thermometer of all things, and Mom was right behind her. "My apologies. I concluded this was serious, and so decided to bring in a... higher authority."

There was no trace of Jeanette's usual sarcasm, but I could still hear it. From the look on Mom's face, she could too.

Mom ignored it though, and placed the back of her hand on my forehead. At the same time she grabbed the thermometer and stuck it out.

I dutifully mimicked a shark, and clamped down on it, moving the little cylinder under my tongue. Mom counted down, and right on time yanked the thermometer back. Behind her, Jeanette rolled her eyes and held up a finger - Mom was a half a beat too soon.

It didn't really matter, but it brought a smile to my face anyway. "Hm, a two degree fever and no cough yet. Doesn't seem too bad, but you are sick."

"I'm really not the type to play hooky, Mom." I'd only lied about being sick once, ever. Of course, Mom had never really forgotten that, even though it was years ago, which is why she was here now, rather than just taking my android maid's word for my being sick.

Dad was a bit more forgiving. Right, I still needed to do the thing, "Mom, I'm sorry about before. I should have asked you for permission too, and I didn't."

Mom moved back a little, still looking at the thermometer. "Apology accepted, but I think your timing could be better."

"Well, this is the first time we have met alone in person since I flew, so... yeah. I'm sorry."

"It was important to be alone, was it?" Mom asked, looking back to Jeanette.

"Jeanette doesn't count, she can be trusted implicitly," I was ninety percent sure that was true. Here goes. "and yes being alone helps. In the spirit of that mistake and forgiveness though, I feel I should mention something."

Mom raised an eyebrow, then sighed. There was nothing but patience in her voice though. "What is it?"

"I'm making another android. A model I intend to give to the police."

Mom blinked. Then blinked again. Finally she settled on another sigh. "What brought this on?"

She knew. "You know. I'm surprised it took me so long to think about it, to be honest. But I could be doing more than just satisfying my selfish needs, weak or not. A police android might help stop anything else like the summer before last from happening again, especially if I provide some equipment for her."

"Her, huh?" Mom asked.

Well she was. "Yeah, her. I already started, and the kernel is most likely a her." Likely enough that the body on the drawing board was female.

"Why give her up? Why make her for the police?" Mom asked. There was something in her voice as she asked the question....

"Because I'm a kid. trained adults should know better than me how to use something that could be considered a tool of war, if you squint. I don't really want that responsibility. So the idea is, I will make here, and she will take all the tests and become a cop, and be available to the police when they need some sort of heavier response. And yes, before you ask, if she makes the police squad and catches me in a crime, she will attempt to arrest me. I wouldn't sneak anything shady into her."

It was important that people understood my commitment.

Mom surprise hugged me. "Honey, I am so proud of you. You have no idea."

I couldn't breathe, but it was still a wonderful feeling. "I have some idea," I managed to wheeze out.

She let me go and I continued: "Anyway, I called the Chief last night, and missed him. I thought if either of you tell me no, I'll just stop. Otherwise I'll go ahead and the android will be completed in a couple of weeks, tops."

It wasn't a quick solution; the android would likely take months to go to the police academy when she was completed, but if the Chief wanted he could probably do something about that.

Mom adjusted my pajama top, re-buttoning the top button. "You called the Chief last night, hm? That isn't a subtle form of arm twisting, at all."

It wasn't! Okay, it might be, but I didn't mean it like that. "Sorry. I didn't mean it like that... its just, I heard there was some kind of thing downtown, and between that and last year, I thought I could help...."

"And you realized you didn't want to just do nothing and leave it completely to us adults, despite your professed trust. Its okay, I get it."

That was... well, that was probably right.

"It also sounds like a great idea, and a good way to help our little community. Maybe if that works out, you can extend a program like it to the state in the future. At any rate, you're staying home today, so get some rest. If the Chief calls back, I'll take it."

"Okay." I wasn't sad about missing school, but missing meant no one coming over after classes, as I would be trying not to pass any illness on. That was why kids should stay home in the first place, after all, even though so few did.

Mom left to go downstairs, and the minute the door closed Jeanette had my laptop on my lap. Where had she even hidden that?

"Don't ask," she told me, and stepped over. Soon the straw was in my mouth again, and blessed Gatorade was flowing into me. I resolved not to ask, but to take the chance instead. Mom wouldn't be back for awhile, probably, so I could get a few things done, and lay the groundwork for some others.

Jeanette grabbed another pitcher from the service, and soon the empty glass was filled again with water. She then backed off and stood at attention while I opened the laptop and booted it.

Waiting for a computer to boot up was always annoying, even if it took just a few seconds. There had to be some way to improve that... no, later. A good idea, but later.

Still, it gave me time to adjust my comforter, and the connection to my lab was established quickly. My mainframe and new android were both waiting for me - while I was here, there was no reason not to help her. Being alone sucked when you were young, after all.

I should have asked if my others were aware when the machines were shut off. There was still power to them, after all. The idea of Jeanette being alone and in the dark, waiting for my return, with no stimulus of any kind... well, maybe I'd better leave that question alone.

Jeanette tilted her head as I glanced at her; she knew something was up.

I responded to the questions - "Are you there? Why are you there so early?" among them, and let the fledgling ponder my responses of "yes, and I am ill with a cold" while I checked my suit plans. They were still there, right where I left them.

The AI logged onto the internet, and promptly looked up both the words "ill" and "cold". The next question intrigued me: "Is there anything I can do to help?"

I answered that Jeanette had me covered, and I would be fine, and that the best thing they could do would be just to focus on learning.

I didn't mention that I'd already had their job picked out for them - so far, I'd been lucky in that respect, but there was no way that would last forever. If they didn't want to join the police force, then I'd simply make another intelligence until I got one that would, or at the very least wouldn't mind it.

I'd have to make them wait around for a body, and that would suck a little, but it could be handled, I guess.

Still, I had a strong sense that my luck hadn't run out quite yet. Not that I believed in such things, but it was nice to entertain the thought, in a way.

The question came: "What do you require of me?"

How to answer this honestly? It was a problem, even with all the practice I had. "I require nothing, but I would prefer or like you to help me with some problems or issues in the world. I created you to help humanity."

It was always best to close with that line, for sure. No orders, but instead just an expectation to help. The AI could draw their own conclusions, and decide for themselves.

The AI was spending a bit of time, chewing on that one. There was no response but the dot dot dot of a program thinking, something I'd coded in myself after the first time. That had been wild; thinking that because Crash had stopped responding, he had somehow died.

Jeeves had been a voodoo fugue, created differently, and I just didn't know enough at the time.

Jeanette interrupted me with the glass again, and I heard pounding steps up the stairs. It was too late to hide what I was doing, so I didn't... well, except to open a small easy to play game in a window. matching gems? Childs play, but it was something to do that wasn't heavy research or design.

Mom came in a moment later.

Of course she noticed. "What's this then?"

Think of an excuse, or tell the truth? "I've got an AI cooking, if I'm staying home, I shouldn't leave her alone."

Mom gave me a look. "And the game?"

Crap! "I panicked?"

She clapped me on the shoulder. "Its fine. You probably shouldn't leave them alone to plot world domination anyway."

"They aren't going to do that!" None of my androids would ever... it would be too much of a pain in the butt, and they all knew it. I mean how would they even keep control? Even taking over nuclear stockpiles only got one so far....

"Just a joke, honey. Just a joke. I know they won't... but some people won't understand. Once burned, twice shy and all that. Can I say hello?"

"Of course," I shuffled the laptop over. I trusted Mom, and it wasn't like she could just hit the delete key with me here. There was an actual process for deleting my kernels. I wasn't stupid.

Mom actually did type out hello, and when asked, she explained she was my creator. She actually used the word creator, which was a word my androids seemed to favor... which meant she was probably talking to Jeanette, Jeeves, or both when I wasn't around.

There was nothing wrong with that, of course, but the idea that my androids were comparing notes with Mom was not one that set me at ease. I mean Mom wasn't exactly an enemy, but she really didn't like me making new stuff... new people. Even my androids had to know that, she hadn't hidden it.

It was good they could get along well with people who didn't exactly like them, but still, this seemed a bit too chummy.

Mom admitted she was a mother, and that led to a search on motherhood. The next statement was more of an indictment, even if my little one didn't know: "Creation with vague intent, plan, or design."

"Wow, she's got you pegged."

Mom glared at me. "What does that even mean?"

"She's drawing a parallel between my form of creation and yours; biological growth is according to a template, and there is no real plan or individual design behind it."

I took over and typed in that such was biological creation in all its glory - until artificial intelligence was created. That most of what she would see, was inexact and messy. Well, without using those words of course, no need to scare the poor girl.

She typed back one word: "understood."

I could see the little icon that represented her thought processes just working away.

"Well I think we've traumatized her enough. She needs time to think things over."

Mom eyed the laptop dubiously. "If you say so. You're the expert."

"Yeah, trust me. You dropped a bomb on her, she's running searches now and figuring things out." I could even find the sites she was going to; they were all tracked on both the mainframe and laptop as a matter of course.

Well, while the AI was cooking, so to speak. Once they were done with that, I didn't peek into any android's search history. I trusted them, and the process was mainly an attempt to keep the fledglings from going somewhere they really shouldn't before they were ready.

Like certain pay sites. No poor AI needed to see all that.

I typed some be right back, and set the laptop aside. I left it on, since if she wanted, the fledgling AI could access the camera. Something I encouraged, at least around the house. I still wasn't sure about outside the house.

I still wasn't sure what my AI's saw through the simple cameras. I had yet to ask - but I was afraid of the answer, as the android eyes were constructed differently. The software was different too; it was much more like human eyes in a way - the software was a program that was slaved to the overall AI that translated camera images. It worked outside of the AI's intelligence, as the other senses did. As for how that data was translated, not even I had a clue.

But it was just like a human in that way; we don't know how our senses work either, they just do. That was where I got the idea, really, because tying all that into the intelligence itself and tasking it all in would slow the intelligence way down as it tried to manage everything itself. The added benefit was it made them understand being human better - or should. I hoped it did.

At any rate, it was better to slave some not quite true AI systems to a real AI than to try and incorporate all those functions into a singular intelligence. I knew that much at least, because it worked.

Maybe someday I'd be brave enough to ask what my androids saw, and how they felt. Hearing at least was easy enough, I'd simply replicated how humans heard things with little hairs... then added a bit more for the higher or lower spectrums, to be turned on at will.

It was a little amazing that no one had figured out how to do things the easy way just yet; at least, no one I knew. Everyone was just trying to stick every function on the poor AI as if it could handle it all, and that method just wasn't working out. I mean sure, maybe eventually they could brute force it with hardware, but no chips were that good just yet, even mine.

What everyone else didn't know, wouldn't hurt them.

Jeanette moved the glass in range again, and I realized I was thirsty. I drank, realizing there had been no call to nature just yet. Which made me ponder what would hopefully be the grossest question of the day; where was all the liquid going? I hoped it was just sweat.

I didn't really want to think of what it could be if it wasn't sweat. As it was, I'd be taking a shower later for sure.

"How do you feel?" Jeanette asked.

"Better." Wait, something was off. I was slumped against the headboard again, with some pillows under my head. "Where did Mom go?"

Jeanette answered as if my lost time was nothing at all. "She went to make sure your brother was up and well."

I could hear someone who could only be Ian thumping around in the bathroom, so that had worked out.

"Did she see?"

Jeanette nodded. "She saw your lapse of consciousness, yes."

Well crap, there would be no convincing her that I would be just fine in the lab now.

Jeanette also didn't approve. "You should remain in bed, unless the needs of your body demand otherwise."

If Jeanette felt that way, I wasn't going anywhere. She could and would just shove me back down, and make it stick. Oh she'd be nice about it, but it would still happen; I looked to the laptop, to where my new fledgling AI was thinking and probably watching us. It was too late to try and make sure such things didn't happen in the next generation.

I probably shouldn't interfere in that way to begin with, no matter how tempting the idea.

"Can you eat?" Jeanette asked.

I felt hungry, but the thought of food didn't do anything for me. "Maybe?"

"Let us try then, with some toast." Jeanette suggested, pulling her tray closer and unveiling buttered toast by pulling a napkin aside.

Toast in bed? That was bold... Mom would throw a fit. But looking at the meager meal I decided it was Jeanette's problem, and made the effort.

It was cold, but that was fine, so long as the butter was melted. There was a hint of cinnamon mixed in too, which was nice.

The first slice settled in my stomach like lead though, which seemed a warning. "I think that is enough for now."

Jeanette didn't force it. "As you say. Is there anything you need?"

I felt I could handle something hot. "Some tea, maybe? something hot that isn't coffee."

Jeanette smiled. "Of course. Now I would know you are ill, even if my sensors had been broken."

It wasn't much, but Jeanette had just made a joke. Such an effort should be rewarded. "Good one."

"Thank you, your appreciation is most gracious. Please, call me if you need anything. I shall be cleaning the house in the meantime. If you feel the need, please sleep."

I waved as Jeanette left. A hacking cough suddenly bubbled up and passed. Jeanette didn't come back, but my door opened again anyway.

Ian stuck his head in. "You okay sis?"

I would have thrown a pillow at him, but I needed them. "No Ian, get out! I'm sick, and you don't need to catch it."

"Feel better," he said in a rush and backed out, shutting the door.

Just as if my little brothers words were a curse, I no longer felt cold. Instead I felt incredibly hot, and my everything was burning. I managed to get the blankets off and move to a colder part of the bed; the laptop was a bit of a casualty of that war, but it was still on the bed so it would survive. Good enough.

Well, not really good enough. I couldn't really move through the ache in my muscles though, not anymore. This was fine anyway - I didn't need blankets, even when I switched to being cold again, between one heartbeat and the next. A little cold never killed anyone, right? Right?

Wait, the laptop light was on and blinking red. That meant a message.

I tried, but I couldn't untangle the device from the comforter; my stupid noodle arms! "Jeanette, a little help please?"

As if she'd been waiting outside the door for just this moment, my primary care android burst in. She took one look and her voice clucked with disapproval. "How did this happen?"

"I got hot. Then the blanket got a mind of its own and attacked - but there is a message for me, and I think its your little sister. She needs me."

"There is indeed a message," Jeanette answered as she easily freed the laptop. "However it was for me. My little sister was worried about you, as you appeared to be in distress."

"Oh." Well that's a bit embarassing. "I'm fine."

"You are not fine," Jeanette asserted. "You are very cold and should be covered up." My maid shook the comforter out then let it drape over me. Then she tucked me in. "Do not remove this, no matter how hot you feel. Call upon me, and I shall assess your health and make the decision regarding your temperature."

She then set the laptop back where my lap was. Wait, the time on it... "It's ten?"

Jeanette nodded. "Nine-fifty-one, to be precise, but close enough to ten-o-clock. Why do you ask?"

"That means I've been asleep for a couple hours - and I don't remember sleeping." That was a little worrying. Surely I should remember falling asleep or passing out, but I couldn't recall when it happened to save my life.

Jeanette placed her hand on my forehead. "Do not worry. You shall survive, even prosper. This is but a passing weakness."

Rather than crediting those words, which were certainly true but not really helpful in the moment, I checked the laptop.

My budding AI had indeed left messages for me:

Creator? Are you well?
Minerva? Please respond.
I've a question for you; please respond.

That was it, not much of a chat log. Still it was enough.

I typed back: "I'm alright, sorry about the long wait. The mind is willing but the flesh is weak sometimes."

The answer was prompt. "It is alright. Your condition has been explained to me, and I can be patient. That quote is originally from the Bible, Mathew 26:41. Meaning, the mind or spirit can have more strength than the body housing the mind or spirit. My question is, why create us in your image if your flesh is weak?"

Oh, that was a good one. A predictable one, but she had come to the question days quicker than her older siblings. Luckily for her I was an old pro at this by now, and could answer this question in my sleep - er, not really but I could answer it sick.

"So that you may understand us humans better. We do not know all there is to know, nor are we the strongest species. We do not have all the answers, for all our current wisdom. So you're made in humanities image so that you might understand the shortcomings of humanity better. In ways that even I might miss."

She would come to the conclusion soon that looking like us didn't mean she was as weak as us soon; that was usually the next question.

Jeanette raised an eyebrow; she could see the screen. "She is early."

Jeanette knew the score; she'd experienced it herself, after all. "She is. She's going to be a precocious one. Smart, too." I could almost feel the reasoning chain the AI was feeling herself along, next to the next to the next.

It was heartening, and I never got tired of the feeling. However, I recognized the dopamine for what it was, and I'd stay away from that abyss; if I just started making androids to make androids, I'd rapidly be in jail or worse. I was sure of that.

Enemy of humanity was a title that many devisors seemed to aspire to, but it wasn't the recognition I wanted. I wasn't even sure I wanted any recognition at all. But 'Minerva, enemy of all humanity' didn't have quite the ring I was looking for.

My fledgling AI was typing again. "Why?" she asked. "Why do you want us to know the shortcomings of humanity?"

That wasn't the question I expected. It was usually asked, but a bit later. "I wish you all to understand how humans are, when we as a species disappoint you by either not thinking entirely logically or making mistakes which you might easily spot."

"Even you?" She asked.

"Even me," I replied. "I am not infallible, and it is my wish that you help humanity, even if we annoy, shock, or horrify you. We can be better than we are, with your help."

It wasn't quite the same way I'd worded it before, but the words came quicker now. Jeanette smiled her approval; when she had asked, that question had taken me an hour to get the words right.

It was best to be truthful about my own infallibility from the outset too, because otherwise any AI would be disillusioned inside a day.

"Understood," came the reply, and I took note of the thinking icon again. With luck that would take her awhile to chew on, and I'd be able to do some things next. "Jeanette, I'm going to need some help here. I need to go to the bathroom."

"Of course, Lady Min." Jeanette took the laptop and set it aside, took my blanket, and had me upright so fast my head spun.

No, wait, that was the illness. I held on for dear life as Jeanette manhandled me along, trying to get my feet to work correctly. It might have helped if more than my toes touched the floor; maybe I should have made Jeanette shorter? Whatever, she wasn't hurting me, somehow. You'd think my arm would be pulled out of my socket, but she had her other hand on my hip, holding me up. Again, somehow.

I felt it when Jeanette opened and shut the door, my weight moved to my arm gently. Then she swung me around. shutting the door and helping me sit down. Somehow she already had my pajama bottoms around my ankles.

My maid didn't say a word, just watched while I did what I needed to. I was thankful for that, since this was already embarrassing enough.

Another moment, and I was already up, my pajama bottoms safely back where they should be, and we were at the sink. I'd lost a moment there, somewhere. Jeanette was holding out the soap.

Right, I washed my hands, and this time I was able to help a bit when it was time to go; my feet hit the floor and I walked as best I could, with Jeanette behind me.

My walking wasn't as good as I hoped; I was more shuffling along like an old person, and grabbing onto things like doorknobs and walls featured prominently in my strategy.

Still, I made it. Then I fell into bed. Small goals, but I still felt some accomplishment - and I felt better overall.

I got myself settled, and soon enough Jeanette was shoving a straw in my mouth. I drank, and the water was something I needed, for sure. It cooled my insides.

"Do you think you could eat more?" Jeanette asked.

I wasn't sure. Yet on the other hand, my stomach was very empty. "Maybe?"

"I shall fetch a meal, and the bucket." Jeanette informed me, then left.

The laptop was still on. The AI linked to it was still thinking, and there were no questions. That meant I could watch a movie. A movie sounded good right now.

No, I had no discs. That left whatever was on the internet. Cat videos?

Cat videos were cute. Cat videos were also a recent guilty pleasure, that no one but Sam knew I liked - at least until someone saw my search history.

Jeanette liked them too. She got back just as the little meows got into full swing. She got back with a bowl of chicken noodle soup, of all things. No crackers, but there was some bread set next to it, still steaming from its time in the oven... or bread maker, I wasn't sure which.

It was bland, somehow. That was a surprise; it was the first thing I'd tasted since my androids were made that wasn't full of taste.

"I know," Jeanette said as I put the spoon down. "Eat it anyway. You need nutrition, and we cannot afford to upset your stomach."

She had a point, but bleh. I started over, and at least it was hot. Hot and filling, and quickly gone. I used the bread to sop up what broth was left, and even the bread was offensively bland, with what little flavor it had coming from the broth itself.

Which wasn't really a help, but I'd take what I could get. I managed to choke it down. It helped to imagine it was chocolate. Or ice cream. Anything else, really.

"That was vile."

Whatever else happened, my maid at least needed to know how enjoyable that was not. I was more certain of that than I was that the sun rose in the East; bad trends could be started if I said nothing.

Jeanette lowered her head in a bow. "I apologize. I deemed it necessary, and Jeeves agreed."

Even Jeeves agreed? The traitor. It wasn't like there was any other joy I could derive from this situation.

Mom's voice echoed up the hall, just loud enough to hear over the cats. "Min, you awake?"

Jeanette read my mind and opened the door. "I'm awake Mom, but I'm not sure how long."

I felt better, a bit more energetic, but it was probably best not to get Mom's hopes up on that score. Otherwise she might want me to help her clean or something, and the cats wouldn't watch themselves.

"You have a visitor. I'll send him up." If we had a visitor, why was Mom yelling across the house? Why was Mom letting any visitor in to see me while I was sick?

Jeanette placed herself near the door, in the blind spot opening it would make.

The visitor was the chief! "I didn't do it."

I covered my traitorous mouth while the man laughed. The he stoped hunching over.

Sheriff Clayton Myles was always a large man, and was friends with my father. Now, he towered, looming over the entire room. He was in uniform, his wide body- builder physique seemingly popping from his clothes without actually ripping them. Even before, he'd been intimidating. Now, if not for his smile, he'd be downright frightening; the man was like a bear without all the fur.

Well, except he did have a full head of chestnut colored hair under the hat he wore; which he was proudly displaying for me now because he'd taken the hat off in the house.

"Sorry about you being sick, but I'm here because of your phone call."

"Sorry in advance if you catch it, and thank you for coming."

Jeanette closed the door behind him, and he caught sight of her. He didn't seem surprised. My maid offered him my desk chair, which was comically undersized for the man, but he took it and it creaked but didn't break.

Small wins.

"Alright, so you see Jeanette there. My basic offer is to make an android like her, and give her to the local police force for help stopping crimes. He or she will be stronger, faster, and tougher than people, and able to do some things humans can't do. In addition, I'm willing to build the android a sort of heavy weapons platform for SWAT work or deployment against really dangerous people."

A stern Sheriff Myles was definitely more frightening than a smiling one, family friend or not. Good to know. "And just what do you expect out of it, Minerva Campbell? What advantage do you get?"

"Nothing? I mean, the android would go to school, and learn to become a cop. Then they would come back, and work for you, solving crimes or writing traffic tickets. Whatever you want. What advantage would that be for me?" Why must everything be about advantage?

"A friendly face and voice on the police force? Someone to look the other way while you do whatever you want?" The man answered, putting more growl into it than he really needed to in my opinion.

This was stupid. "I already have friendly faces and voices on the police force - you among them. You've already let me get away with breaking the law, and thank you for that by the way. I didn't know and I don't need a record. The android would work for you, not me, since I don't know how to be a cop. I'll even donate the maintenance fees and any other upkeep costs for the android and weapons platform, but any control on the job will be yours. If my android sees me doing something illegal, it is my hope they will at least stop or arrest me."

The man leaned in with a growl... and then smiled again, transforming his face. "You're a good kid, Min. You work on your robot and we will see what happens. If they are police material, then I'll take 'em. I'll see myself out, feel better."

He stood up, and only then did I notice Jeanette moving back, having closed the distance sometime during our talk. She had clearly reacted to the possible threat Sheriff Myles represented. He either hadn't noticed, or cared, which was for the best really.

I needed Jeanette after all, and I'd be in trouble if she got arrested for assault.

Still, I'd gotten some permission. I'd have to contact Shecky, to get him to help me set up a slush fund for the Paris police department, but I was going to do that anyway. It was a shame I had to spoil that surprise.

"Jeanette, we need to call Shecky about the deal," It was best to mention it before I forgot again.

"I shall handle it. You lay back, and focus on improvement."

"I'm not sure it works like that."

"Humor me," my maid answered, very gently pushing me down.

The bed did have a siren's call all its own, and it was one I couldn't fully ignore. Not with a full warm belly and a lack of heat anywhere else.

"Jeanette," I didn't like how drowsy I sounded... or felt. I'd just slept two hours, for crying out loud?

"Hm?" She asked, while tucking me in again so that escape was impossible.

"Restart the kitten videos, please?" Kitten videos were a good reminder of all that was good in the world.

"With pleasure," She answered, scooting the chair over, primly tucking her skirt under her as she sat, and reaching over me to hit the button I could no longer reach.

It was comforting to have her here.

up
158 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

robo cop on the way?

could be interesting . . .

DogSig.png

Nice to see

a little bit of development here. I have enjoyed this tale all along and hope you can bring it to a suitable resolution.

One thing I found out the hard way - never operate machinery while ill or not completely alert. That includes driving, of course, but in my case also cooking, programming, systems maintenance or writing fiction. The results are nearly always meh if not actually crap. It is best to set such impulses aside and concentrate on getting better.

Penny

Penny Lane:

I'd agree, but if I stopped writing fiction lately while sick, I'd never get any done. Absolutely not driving or operating heavy machinery though, for sure. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

This new Android is

Likely going to be deadly, it has to be since it might need to take life to save others. Personally I think Min needs to explore their emotions since it is obvious they have some.

Wendy Jean:

That is actually the point of this chapter, and a few of the earlier ones. For Min, there was never a doubt on the emotions... while others have suspected but not had it universally proven. This chapter makes that and a few other concerns a bit more clear.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

If they don't have emotions

If they don't have emotions they can't empathize with human beings.

Guest reader...

Exactly so, yet that very empathy is what Minerva is seeking. so the question becomes a bit of a "chicken or the egg" conundrum, as the limitations that allow them to understand humanity lead to the accelerated development of the program slaved to the AI for emotions... and the program existed before the limitations. So which truly feeds the other?

I have fun with these questions, and these types of chapters.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij