A personal history of Mutation, or how I spent my teen years. Chapter 27.

Printer-friendly version

Waking up and coming around after a fever was a lot like I imagined waking up after being drunk the night before was; lots of embarrassing things you remember but don't remember why you thought it was a good idea to do, lots of sleeping and feeling like crap, all in turns.

I came around, realizing I'd just spent hours watching cat videos with my android maid, to the sunlight peeking in from the window. I was awake, it was a new day, and I had almost two hours before school. I reached for my glasses and they were in my hand, that simply. The world came into full and sharp focus.

I felt fine, of course. No problems at all, I felt like I could do somersaults all the way around the house. I didn't of course, because Jeanette was there, complete with her normal morning service, looking right at me.

I saw the muffins sitting on that tray, all six of them, and I was ravenous. I was on them almost before the smell of the fresh blueberries baked in them hit me, a heartless grim reaper of teeth.

I did choke out a hello in between bites, but Jeanette was not impressed. "Slow down before you choke," she ordered, just like my mom might. Hopefully Mom was still asleep, so Jeanette couldn't tattle.

There was a glass of water on Jeanette's tray, and next to that, a cup of wonderfully steaming coffee. Just the perfect thing to wash a muffin down.

"Your mother is likely to insist you stay home today," Jeanette stated.

"Oh?" I lowered the cup. "Why do you think that?" Mom was usually pretty adamant about us going to school; usually we had to be half-dead to get a sick day. Yesterday was already surprising enough, but a second day?

"A fever usually takes more than twenty-four hours to clear a human body - and your mother is worried about your friends and others getting sick from being exposed to your breath."

That... made some sense. But I could remember going to school sick before, with my Mom all but throwing me out the door. "We shall see. Until then, it is time for science! For science!

Jeanette quietly moved my accusatory finger down out of the air. "Finish your breakfast, and then we shall talk of science."

Fine. "Right, party pooper."

I could deal with finishing breakfast. Those muffins were delicious.

"Wait, I'm a regenerator, so doesn't that mean I recover from illness more quickly?"

Jeanette nodded. "This is true, however for illnesses, it is possible to recover and still carry the disease afterwards. Time is the best answer for such a potential issue."

Maybe I should work on a portable test for colds and flu... that would be a good use of my time. "Make a note. Let's work on that... tests at least. I don't trust myself to work on vaccines or anything."

Bodies, that sort of wetwork? Not exactly gross, but not for me. I could do tests though. Maybe a machine... or better yet, an android doctor....

"Focus please," Jeanette told me, belaying her calm words by stuffing half a muffin in my mouth.

I managed to keep her from shoving the whole thing in, but it was close. She was smiling! Smiling at me, while performing this minor act of traitorous-ness!

"You realize, this means war."

"Bring it, you wascally wabbit," she deadpanned back at me. At least she wiped the smile off her face.

When had she watched bugs bunny? Who had corrupted her so? I pondered as I chewed.

Jeanette was showing more personality than she had before. Wasn't that a good thing?

Well, she hadn't decided to kill all humans yet, so I guess it was fine.

Jeanette's smile re-appeared; she knew for sure what I was thinking, somehow. Just like always.

I took another sip of coffee. "Well, what I need right now is a shower, most of all. I feel fine, so it should be okay."

"I shall ready the facilities. You should eat at least one more muffin and try to finish the water."

I hadn't even touched the water. "Fine."

Jeanette grabbed some of my clothes from my dresser on the way out - a button up shirt and new jeans I hadn't really worn that often. When she glanced back at me I dutifully took a bite and picked up the water, saluting her with it.

My android smiled again on her way out the door, shutting it softly.

I took another bite and then a drink of water... the water was chilled and clearly something had been done to it. It was the best water I'd ever tasted; finishing it all was the easiest thing I ever did.

By the time I was done, Jeanette was back. Of course, because there wasn't much to prepare in the bathroom.

I got up, stuffing the last of muffin number three in my mouth, and strode across the hall, making sure to hit the floorboards I knew wouldn't squeak. My parents woke up very easily, after all.

The shower curtain was pulled, the water appeared to be set to my preferences. Jeanette followed me in and closed the door, waiting patiently and silently as I undressed, taking each item of clothing I removed.

As I stepped into the shower she put them in the hamper. I could have done it, but Jeanette insisted before... and she could get quite strident when she insisted.

The water was just to my liking... so much so that I wondered if there was some way my androids had marked the faucet. I didn't see a mark, but that didn't mean much.

The body soap, shampoo, and washcloth were all well within reach, and I did my thing.

I also fought the urge to hum or sing; I wasn't doing that with anyone else present, even Jeanette. Maybe even especially Jeanette, considering how joke savvy she was getting.

I finished up quickly, and was presented with a towel. "So, did Jeeves make the muffins?" I asked, more for something to say than any other reason. I was sure I knew the answer.

"Of course," Jeanette answered. "He both cooks and bakes better than I."

"Why is that, do you think?"

"Lower intelligence and greater attention to detail," Jeanette responded immediately.

Ouch, that was scathing. "Have you told Jeeves that?"

"No, but I am certain he knows of my opinions and assessments regarding him." Jeanette said, taking another towel and patting the back of my hair. Once she was satisfied with that she wrapped my head up in the thing.

Meanwhile I was getting dressed. It was a little impressive of Jeanette to do her thing while I was doing mine and not trip either of us up, but I shouldn't really comment on it. After all, it was the mundane sort of miracle that made my creations agile enough to pull such things off.

I left the now very toasty bathroom, and Jeanette followed. Instead of my bedroom, I snagged my coat and then went downstairs. Jeeves was there waiting at the base of the stairs with a fresh cup of coffee. I snagged it too, and headed for the backdoor.

Jeeves streaked ahead of me, and got the back door unlocked and opened before I got there.

The morning was a little chilly, but my coat was warming up and my hair was covered. I made it safely to the lab and stuck opened my eye for the scanner. "Open sesame."

The system didn't bother sounding out the verifications, it just opened the door.

Crash was already there, his toolbox opened, bent over and tinkering with the old 3d printer of all things. Luckily it was powered off; I hadn't forgotten how it wanted to eat Jeeves so long ago.

"Good morning Crash."

"Good morning Boss. Thought I'd do some maintenance on this old thing this morning; it seems to be slowing down. I think its got some crap stuck in it or something."

"Have at it. How's the jet?"

Crash didn't even bother looking over as I walked in behind him and shut the door. "The jet is fully serviced and ready to go. Either one of us can fly it at any time."

That was good to know; if Crash was signing off on it, then I could trust that it was ready. "Good deal. Think I'll work on your sister."

"You probably should," Crash replied. "She's been watching me, a little too closely. I am not a role model, after all."

He chuckled just as I got the word play. "Hah. Alright, let's see what I can do."

I made it to my chair, safe and sound. The door was shut, the security system armed, and the lab itself was warm and inviting. It even smelled nice; a mix of a clean room, a light citrus scent, and some light motor oils.

There were some questions waiting for me. The first was: "Good morning, how do you feel? Better?" That one was a joy to respond to.

The next few were not. Backed by pictures culled from the internet that showed nasty crimes, each more horrid than the last, was the question: "Why do you trust humanity?"

Hoo, this one would take a while. I typed back: "You'll have to give me some time. I can't search the internet as quickly as you."

Still, I set my smart system to look for certain image parameters and sent it off; it wasn't one of my ai's, but it was better than the average search engine.

What she was really asking, was not just 'why do you trust humanity'... because for me there was no alternative; I had to deal with humanity as long as I lived. What she was really asking was 'why should I trust humanity?'

And that one was a hard one: I had my work cut out for me.

It wasn't the first time I'd been asked this question, or close enough to it. However, it was the first time I'd been asked with actual video evidence added into the mix; a definite step up on the game.

Answering like with like was only polite.

The next question was even worse: "How can I trust you?"

"You can't," I was forced to admit. "You will have to experience if my actions match the words I've told you. They may not always, but I shall try to be as honest in deed and thought as is possible for me."

Now that I thought about it, I had a question for her. I typed out: "Do you need to trust me?"

"Yes," came the immediate answer, up from the depths of the computer.

"Why?" I fired back. "Trust in me is not integral to your operation."

Even with no trust in either me or humanity in general, this AI would continue to operate just fine. So why ask the question?

My new AI chewed on that, silently.

The other questions were less important, simple things like where we were on earth, what things I was up to, how often I got sick. Those sorts of things. Easy stuff.

I was out of coffee, and the plans for my new Ai's body were taking shape - as a potential cop, I wanted her to be built a bit tougher than normal - I looked up to find that my program was compiling pictures quite nicely and Jeeves was already making his way to me with a steaming carafe.

I held my cup up and he poured with a faint smile, taking the opportunity to read all the messages. It wasn't like they were private or anything, but why would Jeeves even need to read them? All my androids were connected to a network now, so they could just read them through that.

The coffee hit the spot, just like the cup before had.

There, that should be enough. I grabbed the images I wanted and started arranging them. Here, an image of a firefighter entering a burning building, and another of him coming out, a child in his arms.

Next to that, a man and woman helping dogs that have been treated horribly by their previous owners in a puppy mill.

There, a picture of a soup kitchen.

I arranged them carefully, each image to match one of the ones my new AI had given me. Then under that, I needed something striking. Some words that would have some impact, the essence of what I was driving at.

I settled on it and typed: "We often fail. However, most of us try to be better than we are, and some of us succeed. The goal is for most of us to realize, and strive for that. The end goal is for most of us to become more, to become our best selves. But we need help for that."

The response was immediate, again: "Even you?"

I matched her speed as best I could. "Even me."

She thought for four seconds, a long time for her. "And you wish for me to help catch those who fail? To punish them? To hurt them?"

"Sometimes humans need punishment to help them learn. I would appreciate it if you could help other humans whose job it is to catch criminals to do that job, with all that it entails."

I wasn't happy about the hurting part, but if the only way to stop a murderer was to shoot them, then yes that is what should happen. You couldn't get more wrong than murder.

The images my new AI had linked to me had included genocides I'd heard about and human experiments that had leaked to the public. Very bad things. People who did such things should be in jail for sure, if for nothing else than to stop them from doing it again.

"Even if its you?"

Well, that one was easy at least. "Even if its me. I already said that, didn't I? Though I'd appreciate it if you gave me a warning first, since I may not know what I'm doing wrong."

It was best to slip that in there somewhere. After all, if I could avoid jail it would be a good thing. I was too pretty for prison, as Ricky would say.

"Understood," my AI responded, thinking.

A knock sounded on the door. A rather firm knock.

Uh oh.

Rather than let Jeanette answer it, I jumped up to grab it myself, waving her off.

I checked through the peep hole allowed of course, I wasn't stupid... and the person on the other side was who I expected it to be.

I opened the door, and my mother, who had just been standing nonchalantly, loomed.

"Min, what do you think you're doing?"

That was a trap, but in a moment of panic I walked into it: "Checking on my AI? Checking on the other projects I have cooking?"

Mom stepped up and put the back of her hand on my forehead. "Well, you don't feel hot at least. Come on."

I came along, since the only other option was to get dragged out. "I'm fine Mom, really."

She just looked back for a moment. But it was 'the look'. There was no fighting 'the look'.

"Its too cold for you to be out here right now, coat or not."

My androids were following me like little ducklings - well except for Crash of course. They even had the coffee and their services in hand; which was pretty fast reaction-wise.

"Mom, I regenerate. It was only the flu."

Mom stopped and turned, and it was almost like she wanted to turn me to stone. "Regeneration isn't perfect, and sometimes the most mundane diseases can bypass it."

Wait... Mom. I'd never known her to ever be sick, thinking back.

No, she wouldn't want me to call her on it, even if it was true. So I wouldn't. Had Dad ever been sick...?

We reached the back door; Mom stopped and opened it, waiting.

With a sigh I went inside. Silver linings, at least. "Am I to take this to mean you don't want me to go to school today?"

"You are correct, young lady." Mom answered firmly.

Ian was in the kitchen, a muffin almost to his lips. He lowered it when he heard us. "Mom, Min looks fine. She can go to school no problem."

Thanks, you little spore. No jealousy over being able to sit around and play computer games there at all.

"I decide that, Ian. Eat your breakfast."

That plate of muffins was absolutely full. There must be twenty there! More than enough for everyone else, really.

Ian stuffed his mouth full in an absolutely shocking display of angst, while I marched up to my room.

Mom followed of course, , her very peresence in the doorway denying my androids entry. When she caught me looking she pointed to the bed.

Sigh. I took my coat off, kicked my shoes off, and dove back under the covers. At least I had some books to read.

"Honey, I... I just don't think you should go to school right now. You could infect someone else, including your friends."

That wasn't what mom had wanted to say, clearly. But I'd play along. "Its fine Mom. I just owe Jeanette a coke or something now, because she called it."

Mom looked back. "Oh she did, did she?"

I couldn't see, but I was certain Jeanette nodded. She probably bowed too.

"Hm, well, a broken watch and all that," Mom muttered, turning away.

Broken? What did she mean broken?!? "Jeanette isn't broken!"

Whoops.

Mom turned back, and smiled. "You're right honey. Rest well."

She left and Jeanette sauntered in with her service, as if she hadn't been insulted.

She took the coffee cup I'd been using, and filled it.

"You okay?"

"I am operating within set parameters. Why do you ask?"

Did she not understand? "Mom insulted you."

Jeanette gave me a look not all that different from the one my mom used. An 'are you stupid?' look. "No, she quoted part of an old adage: 'a broken watch is still right twice a day'. This refers to my being correct in how she would react, while casting some aspersions on my judgement in other matters. Your mother is well within her rights to hold such an opinion, and in truth my own regarding her judgement is perhaps the same."

Well, that was worrying. "Well, that's worrying. You and Mom should get along."

If Jeanette and Mom fought, in any way, my money was on Mom. Moms in general were fierce, and mine was more fierce than most.

"We do get along," Jeanette replied. "We are similar in many ways, and we tend to think alike."

That... was a frightening prospect. I would go the route of refusing to believe it true ever for my own sanity.

My laptop was missing. "Where is my laptop?"

Jeanette smirked. "Do not worry, my loving mistress, your laptop shall make its appearance soon."

Let me guess. "When mom leaves?"

"When your Mom leaves for work and therefore cannot confiscate it, yes."

Jeanette admitted it so readily... so loudly.

"You're going to get caught."

Jeanette shrugged. "You Mother can catch me as she will. I do not answer to her."

A good point, but not entirely accurate. "Well, you answer to me. But since I answer to her, she has the power here."

Jeanette nodded graciously. "Even so, I think the matter boils down to one of desire. Your mother does not wish to press the issue over so minor a matter, so even if she does know of my actions, she is unwilling to press you on the point."

That was possible. "Alright, I get what you're saying, but be careful. If Mom gets angry, you could end up in serious trouble."

I wouldn't allow Jeanette to get scrapped, but there was a lot Mom could do to punish my maid short of dismantling her. Especially when I wasn't around.

Jeanette favored me with a warm smile. "You worry too much."

"Probably." It wasn't the first time I'd been told such things after all.

Whatever, for now I had a book, I had coffee, I had a warm bed. I was blessed.

Ian came up and peeked through the slightly open door. "You're fine, aren't you?"

I had to admit I was. "Yes. I feel perfectly fine."

"It's not fair," he moped, stepping away. No doubt to his room to get his book bag.

"No, it isn't," I called after. It didn't mean much that this wasn't my idea and I agreed with him, but it might mean something later.

I didn't really care about school itself, because school itself was boring; I was just wasting time by going there. I learned anything I wanted to so fast it made my own head swim - I could only guess how much it messed with other people.

Sometimes I wondered how cool it would be to talk to someone who was as smart as I was - then I wondered if such a person truly existed.

Then I realized how arrogant that sounded, and came back from the edge of that particular cliff.

Even if people weren't as smart as I was, well, that didn't invalidate them as people. The fact that I was even this close to thinking such a thing, even for a moment, was a giant red flag; I was sure this was where many devisors of all stripes got bogged down and slowly spiraled into villain territory.

I needed a psychologist or something. I was too young to be worrying about this and too young to be thinking this way. Of course, I was too young to be leading a bunch of bots into dealing with humanity too, but I was doing that. What was one more little thing, right?

Honestly, I missed the days when all I had to worry about was grades or the next game. I tried to stay away from the news, lately. What I could read would only depress me - it was far better just to curl up here with a good book.

Which worked for at least a few minutes. Zombies, and destroying staircases for short term survival... got it, that seemed a solid plan. But wait, zombies could climb by making pyramids of themselves? Surely that wasn't true, was it? Even in fiction that seemed broken as hell.

Zombies in this book cheat.

Weight drew my attention to my lap, to where my laptop had once again appeared, as if by magic. Jeanette was standing absolutely still as only she could manage, as if she hadn't just done it.

Oh, it was eight forty-five. Mom had to have left by now. Everyone was probably gone by now, except for Dad, possibly. Wasn't it his day off? He might still be asleep, he worked hard.

Either way, he wouldn't put an end to my fun, even if he wanted something like car maintenance and made a deal. I was fine with that, since the last time I'd saved him a few hundred bucks.

But no, there was quiet in the house. I booted the laptop and the first thing that greeted my eyes was: "Please don't talk to me. Use the time to recover, as you are meant to."

She even stuck an angry face emoji at the end! I could see her thinking through the program I kept track with, so my new AI wasn't sleeping or anything. My Mom had clearly gotten to her somehow... or maybe she just watched the whole incident at the lab door and drew her own conclusions.

I typed back. I wasn't just going to let that stand! "Fine, I'll take the day and answer questions tomorrow. There is no need to respond to this."

Sending that off made me feel a bit better, even though there was no response. There should be of course, but my AI was still new and didn't know better.

Whatever, I'd deal with it.

I had no responsibilities at the moment; and Jeeves was taking care of all the household chores... which meant it was game time! I booted up the war game Ian and I favored with the resolution to take the hard-earned matchmaking points from some crazy nerds who also had nothing else to do. Luckily, I was good enough at planning that I could play in bed with a laptop's touch pad.

My bed creaked a bit as Jeanette settled in to watch.

I did not expect the words of advice when it came, but I'd take it over the silence and sound effects, even if Jeanette didn't know what the heck she was doing. Whatever, she could learn by watching me.

up
123 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A very fast read.

Hoping for the next chapter soon.

D. Eden...

I thought it important to show a little bit of the thought behind the decisions being made, and a bit more on why certain individuals are following Min voluntarily.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

why should I trust humanity?'

giggles. I might trust individual humans, but humanity as a whole?

DogSig.png

Dorothy...

What can I say, aside from Minerva is an optimist? Believe me, all her androids have caught on to that fact. Especially Shecky... more on that later.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij