Consequences Of Ego

Printer-friendly version

Characters

Rahul (Main Character) [Age: 15 ]
Sakshi (Rahul’s big sister) [Age: 19]
Aruna (Rahul and Sakshi mother) [Age: 40 ]
Akash (Rahul’s best friend and classmate) [Age: 15]
Shilpa (Rahul’s Classmate) [Age: 15]

{NOTE: Images and links are used only as the reference to the character in the story}

Chapter 1: The Promise

Teacher: Rahul why haven't you had a haircut didn't I told you last week to get a haircut. Your hair is touching your shoulders now. How long are you going to grow them?

Rahul: Sorry ma'am, I will cut them soon.

Teacher: It better be soon or you will be punished.

Rahul: Yes ma'am.

Screenshot (334).png
[link: https://ibb.co/Q9vgx36]

As you guys assumed I am the one who is getting scolded for my hair which I was growing for the past 4 months because I wanted to try having the same hairstyle as Eren from my favourite Anime attack on titans. My sister supported me by saying that I should try new things now and then & My mom said that I will eventually get a haircut due to the strict rules of the school. (In India boys are needed to have short hair.)

It was Lunch break me and my friends were sitting and chatting,

Akash: Rahul you got scolded again by the teacher for your hair I guess you gonna get a haircut now.

Rahul: I think so, But I really wanted to try growing them a bit longer.

Then from my behind, I heard a familiar girl's voice it was Shilpa.
She shouted...
Shilpa: I knew you were gonna get a haircut because you are scared of your mom and the teachers.

Rahul: I am not Scared of anyone! It's just that...

Shilpa: It's just what they are excuses you are just a pussy.

I heard whispers around my class as everyone heard our quarrel.

Rahul: I am not a pussy I can even grow my hair longer than yours.

Shilpa: haha! can you even see? My hair is till my hips and I think I have the longest hair in our class. You can't grow your hair that long. You are too scared. Just admit it.

The whole class was watching me waiting for my response.

Rahul: Hey, you know what? I am gonna grow my hair way longer than yours. I Promise.

Shilpa: Ok lets say, if you get a haircut, you are a pussy. Do you agree?

Rahul: I agree and as you know I don't break Promise.

After we agreed she went outside with her friends and I sat down and started thinking how will I do This.

And Just like that 5 months passed and my hair grew past my shoulders till my armpits. I used to wear my hair in a ponytail or keep them open. I was scolded by my teachers a lot due to my hair but I used to make excuses and bunk my classes to ignore them. Even my mom and sister were shocked as I didn't get a haircut after a certain period But my classmates were impressed.

But all that changed one day.

It was Lunchtime when I was talking with my friends our homeroom teacher came to our classroom She looked at me and said...
Teacher: Rahul come with me.
Rahul: But why ma'am?
Teacher: Just follow me.

I stood up went to the teacher and started following her. When I was following her I was thinking of excuses as I thought it was the usual scolding I get.
When we entered the teacher's meeting room I saw many teachers and even the principal sitting in the room. They were all looking at me I was scared.

Teacher: Principal ma'am this is the student we have talked about.
Principle: So you are Rahul.

Rahul: Yes sir (scared)

Principle: So Rahul let's get straight to the point you are not only breaking the rules and regulations set by the school by growing your hair and not getting a haircut but also ignoring other teacher's repeated warnings in past months. You my boy deserved to be punished for this. I called your mother about this even she agrees. Do you have any excuses now?

I was so surprised, scared, and nervous I was not able to speak up.

Principle: Didn't think so. Since you like to have your hair long, According to the rules and regulations regarding hair longer than shoulder length one has to wear their hair in twin braids. (braided pigtails) Teachers are you ok with this?

Every teacher noded.

Rahul: But Ma'am I am a boy I can't wear a girl's hairstyle.

Principle: So what you have long hair like them. Even your mother agreed to this when I spoke to her earlier. Starting now you will have to wear your hair in twin braids.

My homeroom teacher and other lady teacher came to me grabbed my hand and sat me on the chair. My homeroom teacher started brushing my hair then parted it from the middle and then both of them started braiding each of the sides at the end they tied it with ribbons and rested both of the braids on my shoulder. Then they presented me to the principal.

2016.jpg
[LINK: https://ibb.co/kmKHj8v]

Principal: You look so good in this. From now on every day you have to keep your hair tied like this ok.

I was red from embarrassment due to this. I said "ok" very silently.

Principal: Say it loudly.

Rahul: YES ma'am!

Lunch Break was over my homeroom teacher escorted me to my classroom. When I entered the classroom I put my head down to my embarrassment. Everyone was shocked and laughing. Even my friends. The teacher said no one will tease Rahul from now on for this he is only following rules regarding long hair. After school ended Shilpa came near me and said "You can get a haircut if you like but remember you made a promise & after all this, I hope you are not a coward!" She said this and left.
I went home hiding my hair in any way possible.
When I reached home my Mom opened the door. I was embarrassed facing her so I put my head down. My mom looked at me and hugged me. Than she said

Mom: Oh my sweet son don't be sad I know about your situation in school.

Rahul: Umm Hmm

Mom: we will talk about this later first go freshen up and change your clothes.

As I was going towards the bathroom my sister said...

Sakshi: Rahul is that you...OMG! I knew about your situation but you look so Good in braids.

Rahul: Sis don't tease me now (embarrassingly)

Sakshi: No really you do look good.

I ran towards the bathroom and closed the door then I saw myself in the mirror. I was surprised at how girly and cute I looked in braids. It was probably because how I looked more like my mother than my father and I don't have even a hint of facial hair on my face. I was admiring how the braids looked so cute on my face. Just then I realized what I was doing and said to myself "What the hell was I doing." After that, I quickly freshened up change my clothes, and went to my mother and said...

Rahul: Hey mom can you help with my hair? (As I was still wearing braids with ribbons.)

Mom: Ok come here sit down. By the way, your sister is right you look really good in braids.

Rahul: Mom!!

Mom: ok ok now sit straight.

Then she started undoing the braid and she said...

Mom: I was surprised when I got a call from school but I saw this coming when they talked about your hair. Why are you still growing your hair I thought you were gonna get a haircut.

When she asked about this I remembered my promise to Shilpa but I can't tell her this or she will think I am mad or something and force me to get a haircut so I lied to her.

Rahul: Mom to tell you the truth I really don't like short hair now I hate to keep them short. Please understand me mom I like them longer now.

Mom: If you say so, any way you look better in longer hair but you have to wear braids not only for school but here too as they are good for long hair Ok.

Rahul: Yeah (embarrassingly) and sorry you have to deal with my school problems.

Mom: Don't worry about that It's ok.
When she undid both my braids she started brushing them straight.

Rahul: Mom I want to ask you something?

Mom: Yes what is it, Rahul.

Rahul: How long does will it take to grow my hair till hips?

Mom: (surprised)Looking at your current length at least 2 to 3 years I think.

I have to wear braids for 3 years in school OMG I thought to myself.
After brushing my hair she put it in a ponytail and said...

Mom: Do you want to grow your hair till your hips?

Rahul: Yes Mom.

Mom: Then start taking better care of them.

Sakshi: I can't wait for your hair to grow that long.

Rahul: Sis you've heard everything?

Sakshi: Yes & I am so excited, I can wait to dress you up as my little sister and do your hair.

I turned red for embarrassment and started running after my sister as she teases me. Looking at both of us mom also started laughing.

And like that my Journey to grow my hair longer begins...

up
120 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You have an interesting

You have an interesting writing style. Reminds me a bit of manga. I like these stories where small changes snowball into bigger ones. Thanks for posting.

Thanks For Reading!

Tomi's picture

I really like slow & small changes because it seems more real to life to me.

Encouragement

crash's picture

I wanted to let you know how much I love your story. The script style for dialog seems pretty effective. I love your work and am looking forward to seeing more of it. Just one small item on word choice: The principal is your pal. You seem to use both words for the same person.

Your friend
Crash