What’s It’s Like for A Girl Part 21

Printer-friendly version

Sentra Hospital:
Laura holds Max’s hand as she sits next to her daughter’s bedside. The doctor removed a 12.7mm (1/2inch) ball bearing from Max’s forehead. He also removed the bone fragments caused by the ball bearing when it hit her head.

The police found the slingshot that had been used in a nearby trashcan. The detective in charge of the investigation was waiting on the forensics for prints and such. Laura and coach Karr were concerned about who attacked Max. All the girls on the girl’s swim team were concerned as well.

Laura looks up when she hears someone knocking on the hospital room door. She wonders who it could be “come in.”

Joy and her mother walk into the room. Joy was concerned about Max and wanted to see how she was doing. Betty looks at Max laying on the hospital bed and at Laura sitting by Max’s bed. They walk over to Max’s bed “how is she, Laura?” Betty was concerned.

“As far as the doctor can tell, she is going to be okay.” Laura was relieved when the doctor told her that as far as he could see from the CAT scan. Max hadn’t suffered any other damage.

“That is good news.” Betty was relieved to hear that Max was going to be okay.

“Do they know who hurt, Max and why?” Joy wanted to know why they went after Max.

“They are still investigating who did it. The detectives on the case are classifying it as a hate crime.” Laura hopes detectives Barnes and Moby find the kids responsible for hurting Max.

“Max doesn’t deserve this. She is always nice to people, even when they gave her the cold shoulder.” Joy knew a few kids in school didn’t like the fact that Max was going into the girl’s locker room and bathroom.

A few minutes later, several more girls and guys that knew Max arrive with their parents. Max’s best friend Greg and his mother show up as well. Mrs. Collins walks over to Laura and puts her hand on her shoulder.

Laura looks up at Grace and was glad she was here. They have known each other since Max and Greg were small and went to the same elementary school.

“How is Max doing, Laura?”

“She’s going to be okay. She’ll just have a small scar from where the ball bearing hit here.”

“That’s good to hear. If there is anything me and my family can do for you. Don’t hesitate to let us know.”

“Thanks, Grace.”

“You’re welcome.”

The nurse tending to Max after a while has to shoo everyone out of the room. Once all of Max’s friends are gone. She goes about getting Max’s vitals.

Nurse Lucy looks at all the teddy bears and flowers that were brought in. She was glad that her patient had a lot of people that cared for her. She didn’t care that Max was transgender.

Laura had stepped back and watched as nurse Lucy took care of Max. She learned that Lucy herself had two young kids at him.

“Are Max’s vitals okay?”

“They are fine, Mrs. Puscat.” Lucy looks at Max’s mother.

“Thank goodness.” Laura was relieved, that Max was still okay.

“You’ll be cleared to take your daughter home in a few days, Mrs. Puscat.” Lucy hopes Max’s vitals stay the way they are.

“I know she’ll be happy to be back in her bedroom.” Laura knows Max will be happy to be back home.

“I know I would.” Lucy smiles at Mrs. Puscat.

“I just want my daughter to be okay, after this brutal attack. I also want the people who did this to her arrested as well.”

“You just have to have faith and hope, Mrs. Puscat.” Lucy met the detectives assigned to the case.

up
164 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Slingshot

Well hopefully the slingshot wasn't wiped clean of prints. I would hate for the shooter to get away. There is also a chance of the projectile having a partial print on it. Can't hardly wait for the next chapter of course it will raise as many questions as it answers.

EllieJo Jayne

Slingshot is classified as a weapon

BarbieLee's picture

Most don't realize how deadly a slingshot may be. They think of little boys knocking cans off the fence. Like guns, bow and arrows, knives, etc, slingshots are classified as weapons. If the ball had hit Max in the eye instead of her forehead it would have been instant death. If it was a high end slingshot and the owner had enough strength to pull it back she would be dead.
https://www.pricepulse.app/umarex-x-shot-slingshot-wrist-roc...
A different kind of slingshot is the one Daniel used to slay Goliath. I used one for years. Even though it could be folded up and put in my pocket, it also is a deadly weapon. Ask Goliath. Every image, every Youtube video is wrong on what it looks like and how it's used. The only thing they got right was smooth rocks. My swing was 45 degrees from horizontal or vertical. A hundred yards was max for any accuracy and that's stretching the truth a lot. I'll always believe my brother took it when he left home.
Hugs LadyDragon
Barb
Life is meant to be lived not worn until it's worn out.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Not just a hate crime, but attempted murder

Jamie Lee's picture

The person, kid or adult, who shot Max with that ball bearing not only did so in hate but could also be charged with attempted murder.

It's one thing to verbally assault Max, it's totally a different matter using weapons to attack her. And is in a totally different level of the law.

It's good to see all the support Max has from those who know her.

Others have feelings too.