Mutation - Part 25

Printer-friendly version

 

Mutation - Part 25
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2023 Melanie Brown

Switcher Mutation

 


 

“Stand still, brat,” growled my soon to be official aunt Catherine.

“I don’t want to wear make-up!” I complained.

My aunt glared at me. “Of course you do. All little girls want to wear make-up. I couldn’t wait to start.”

I frowned. “I’m not you. Thank God.”

“Look, brat,” growled my lovely and sweet aunt, “You’re the ring bearer and you’re going to have rosy cheeks. We can either pinch your cheeks or we can use make-up. I can tell you which one I’d enjoy more.”

I narrowed my eyes at my aunt. “Okay. You win. This time.”

As she started brushing on my make-up, Aunt Catherine said, “You should be happy for your mother. This is the biggest day of her life. Aside from giving birth to you, I guess.”

I like to think I was grown in a lab.

It was D-Day… Doom’s Day. Otherwise known as Mom’s wedding day. It was chaos at my new grandparents’ house. The house wasn’t new. The grandparents were. Sort of. Mom was getting ready at our house. Claire was helping her cry and get dressed. She was also Mom’s Maid of Honor.

Oliver was getting ready at the grandparents’ house. Something goofy about the bride and groom can’t see each other before the wedding. We all had dinner last night, so what’s the big deal? Pee-Paw buying us all dinner at Catfish Hill after the wedding rehearsal was probably the best part of this whole sordid ordeal.

Oliver stepped into my room, otherwise known as the guest room. Aunt Catherine shouted, “Hey, dork! Women only in here!” We were both in a state of undress. “Do you know how to knock?”

“Sorry!” apologized Oliver. “You guys need to hurry it up in there. We need to leave for the church soon.” Mom decided to have the wedding at ‘that cute little church’ we’ve been going to each Sunday since we first went on Christmas Day. I wanted to do it at Chuckles the Rat Pizza. Mom’s reaction was negative to say the least.

Aunt Catherine looked over at me. “Hey squirt. Can you zip me up, please?”

As I walked over to her to zip up her dress, I asked, “Can you imagine the arrogance of a clothes designer to create a garment that requires more than one person in order to wear it? And what about the wedding itself? Celebrating a woman surrendering her independence to a life of indentured servitude to a man with permanent mommy issues?”

Aunt Catherine just stared slack jawed at me. She shook her head and said, “You’re going to be fun at parties.”

As I was putting my earrings in, Oliver knocked on the door and then opened it without waiting for a response. “You guys ready? We need to go.” He looked over at me and asked, “Hey sport. Do you have the rings? I can’t find them.”

I folded my arms and said, “I sold them on e-bay.”

Looking deeply annoyed, Oliver growled, “I’m serious, Chrystal. Do you know where they are?”

I frowned. “Of course I do. I put them in my purse for safekeeping.”

Oliver sighed. “Finish getting dressed and let’s go.” He closed the door.

I started looking under things and said to Aunt Catherine. “Have you seen my purse?”

*          *          *

After a half hour of cheek pinches, being talked to as if I’m a two year old, being told how pretty I was and what a little heartbreaker I’ll be and a scary Uncle Ralph asking if I was old enough to date yet, I was finally positioned next to Oliver holding a pillow with two rings resting on it. I was nervous as hell. In just a few moments, my life as I know it will be over. The shit just got real.

I looked up at Oliver. Sweat was beading up on his forehead and it was good he was wearing a dark suit. I looked over at Claire. She was quickly dissolving into a blubbering mass. Looking directly ahead, I could see Mom decked out in her beautiful wedding dress getting ready to walk down the aisle. She had no one else to walk with her, so Pee-Paw was going to give her away.

The organ began playing and Mom and Pee-Paw took their positions. Pee-Paw leaned over and said something to Mom. She laughed and then they both got serious. Holding the pillow with the rings, I just wanted to run away. I glanced over at Oliver. I think he wanted to run away too.

I sighed heavily as I looked at the people sitting on Oliver’s side of the church. I couldn’t believe that this band of illiterate inbreds were going to be my family. Actually, they weren’t hillbillies. That’s just how I thought of them. But I’m not exaggerating my dislike of having to associate with this group I don’t know and have to call them family. I swear though. If Uncle Ralph touches me, I’m going to scream.

Everything felt like it was in slow motion as Mom stepped slowly up in her wedding march.

Pee-Paw promised to take me to Dairy Queen after the reception.

As they almost reached the dais, the preacher asked in a solemn tone, “Who gives this woman to be married to this man?”

Pee-Paw grinned and said, “She gives herself.” Well, Mom and Dad aren’t around.

Mom stepped up onto the dais with me between her and Oliver. I’m mere seconds away from having to call this clown “Dad”. I looked up at Mom as she was repeating her vows. Call me an old softie, but Mom really did look radiant. She was glowing and she really did look beautiful in her wedding dress. She carefully lifted Oliver’s ring from the pillow and a chill ran down my spine as she recited, “With this ring, I thee wed.” I closed my eyes. Oh my God, we’re at the halfway point. Mom ran her fingers through my hair.

All eyes shifted to whats-his-name… oh, Oliver. Mom had stopped breathing. Claire had stopped breathing. I think I was the only one breathing. Oliver droned on through repeating his vows. Oliver winked at me as he picked up the ring for Mom.

I had really hoped that at this point, someone would jump up and shout, “Stop the wedding! Denise, you can’t marry this scoundrel. You must marry me, your one true love!” Sadly, that didn’t happen.

Oliver slipped the ring onto Mom’s finger. “With this ring, I thee wed…” Make it stop!

The preacher smiled at Mom and Oliver and said, “By the power vested in me…” This can’t really be happening!

*          *          *

To be continued…

up
112 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It could be worse, Chrystal

Slacker1's picture

I had the pleasure of watching my mom wed again…and again…and again. I think that makes four ex-husbands. Were any of them as tediously boring as Oliver? You betcha. Really enjoying Chrystal. One of your best characters, Melanie.

Make it stop!

I guess not everyone will get what they want. lol.

Come on, Melanie

You are having too much fun with this. You used just about every line possible.

Two of my wife's sisters were just under 10 when we married. Now they are both grandmothers, but I still remember two wide eyed little girls from that time.

Ron

Understanding

Melanie Brown's picture

I guess I don't understand this comment. By now we know Chrystal isn't a regular little girl who would be wide eyed and awed by her mother in a wedding dress getting married. She didn't have 10 years of romanticized stories of princesses finding their Prince Charming. She views this as a catastrophe; a paradigm shift in her life. She's being tossed into a family that only sees her as a little girl with those expectations. She could get away with saying and doing things when it was just her and Dede. But now her parents will expect her to conform to being a little girl.

Melanie

Chrystal isn't a little girl yet

But as time goes on and is treated as a "little person (female variety)" she will become one and grow. We all grow into our roles even if we do a course correction. The knowledge of the 62 year old is already dimming.

She will need parents when she discovers boys and they all will act "in the present" when that happens.

Ron

She Could Do Worse

joannebarbarella's picture

Oliver at least understands that Chrystal is not your normal 10 year-old.

Nice chapter

Nice chapter
You seem to be having fun destroying Chrystal's life
I have a feeling Chrystal is not going to be happy being left with the grandparents when Denise and Oliver go on their honeymoon

Honey moon

Melanie Brown's picture

Ya think? :)

Just catching up...

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

Good to see our little heroine making her way through childhood. This chapter kind of had the flavor of a finale, but you did offer more...

Looking forward to it!

- iolanthe

Someone

And I'm not saying who is seriously antisocial. Wonder if she will grow out of it?

All Chrystal needs to do...

is move that last set of quotation marks over a little bit.

The preacher smiled at Mom and Oliver and said, “By the power vested in me… This can’t really be happening!"

Thank you for the chapter!

Chrystal could still have all kinds of fun causing mayhem and chaos if she manages to hold onto her personality and the rest of her memories.

The “Catastrophe”

Robertlouis's picture

…isn’t a joke for Chrystal. Once Dede and Oliver are married and she becomes part of their wider family - remember her snark about them in the church - the pressures on her to conform to their expectations of her as nothing but the ten year old she appears to be will become unbearable. They may well break her.

When it was just Dede and her, she could still bring their mutual past into play. No more. Her sense of loss must be overwhelming. And she’s completely alone with no one to turn to. Dede, the one person who knows the truth, is now the chief denier. It’s a hideous nightmare.

I keep saying it, but at its heart this is one of Melanie’s bleakest and darkest stories, in spite of the humour.

☠️