Mutation - Part 30

Printer-friendly version

 

Mutation - Part 30 - Final
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2023 Melanie Brown

Switcher Mutation

 


 

The week of Aunt Christine taking me to school wasn’t as horrifying as I initially imagined it to be. Several times we went to Dairy Queen after she picked me up and we got some ice cream. On occasion, she’d threaten to make me wear a dress to school, but she never did. But the best part, and yes I’ll admit it; was when Aaron would come by each afternoon to go bicycling together.

Aaron is the only boy I’ve allowed myself to like. I haven’t given up my rule against liking boys. I’ve just carved out an exception for Aaron. Most boys are still icky and loaded with boy cooties. Not very scientific, but it’s still accepted when I explain it adults. But it’s different with Aaron.

I like him. A lot. I get excited when he shows up on his bicycle. And it bothers me that when Mom comes home Friday, I probably won’t see him again. I’ll miss our philosophical discussions about anime, science fiction movies and books. And… and I’ll miss our visits to the hill. I don’t like boys, but being kissed by Aaron is somehow different.

“So your mom comes home tomorrow?” asked Aaron as we lay beside each other on top of the hill. We were watching the traffic pass by on the street below us while we chewed on a piece of grass.

I sighed. “Yep. I’m so not looking forward to that. Oh, don’t get me wrong. I love my Mom. I’m just not excited about having a step dad. And we won’t get to go riding together anymore.”

Aaron removed the piece of grass he was chewing and studied it a moment. “School ends Wednesday. Didn’t you say once that your mother might let you stay with your grandparents during the summer?”

“That idea was kicked around by Mom and Oliver before they got married. Getting married was a definite game changer. So who knows?” I still can’t bring myself to call Oliver “Dad”.

Aaron tickled the back of my hand with the grass he’d been chewing. “I’m not going to lie, Chrys. I’m going to miss seeing you. You’re smart. You’re funny. And you know a butt-load of shit even I don’t know.” He gave me a knowing look. “And you kiss good.” We both giggled.

I tickled his nose with the piece of grass I was chewing. “I’m pretty sure that now that Mom has married into Oliver’s family, we’ll probably visit and I know Me-maw wants me to come over. There’s just not enough room in that house for all of us to live there.”

I extended my little finger towards him. “Let’s pinkie swear we’ll be friends forever.”

Aaron hooked his little finger with mine. Looking serious, he said, “I have been, and always shall be, your friend.” He leaned over and kissed me.

*          *          *

I was sitting in the back seat with Pe-Paw. Me-Maw was sitting up front with Aunt Christine. It was just after twelve noon and I was hungry, but it was decided we’d pick up Mom and Oliver from the airport first and then all have a big lunch together at Golden Corral. Yee haw.

“So Chrys, are you excited?” Aunt Christine turned around slightly in the driver’s seat to look back at me. “It’s just not your mother returning, but you’re getting a new dad as well.”

I shrugged. “It’s not like I’ve never met him before.”

Me-Maw turned to look at me. “This will open a whole new world for you. A new adventure!”

I folded my arms. “It’s just Oliver.” I know he’s her son and she loves him and all that. But he’s an interloper to me. Mom and I were doing just fine ourselves…well mostly. He’s not blood. He doesn’t really know me. We don’t share a common past. He’s still basically a stranger. And now I’ll fall under his authority. And even though he knows the truth about me, to him I’m still only just a kid.

Pe-Paw patted my leg. “Don’t worry. It’ll all work out for the best. I raised my son well. Ollie has told me he fully intends to treat you as if you were his own flesh and blood daughter. He does love you.”

I actually pouted. “No he doesn’t. He loves my mom. I’m just baggage.”

Me-Maw frowned at me. “Don’t you dare say that, Chrystal. Joining an existing family always has its problems, but your father is committed to you and your mother. Your Pe-paw and I welcome you into our family. Never forget that we love you, Chrystal.”

I have to admit, my new grandparents have been really nice to me. Am I just being a dick? And then I looked at my Aunt Christine.

Rather than parking and waiting inside, we instead drove around the passenger pick up loop about three times before I spotted Mom exiting the terminal. I pointed and shouted, “It’s Mom! It’s Mom!” Aunt Christine quickly pulled her car over by the curb near where Mom was standing.

I jumped out of the car and ran over to Mom shouting. Mom grabbed me in a giant bear hug. She kissed my cheek and exclaimed, “Chrys! I missed you so much! I’m so glad to be back.” I got another hug. I watched Pe-paw get a massive hug from Oliver. Mom held onto my hand.

Aunt Christine hugged and kissed her brother. She grabbed an item of luggage and said, “Welcome home, Ollie! Let’s get your bags loaded in the car so we can get out of the airport.”

“Right,” agreed Oliver. “Just one thing first.” He ran over to me and Mom and picked me up. “It’s great to see you again, munchkin!” He kissed my cheek and gave me a hug. I hugged him back.

I smiled and said, “Welcome home.”

As everyone except for me (sometimes there’s an advantage to being a little girl) grabbed some luggage, I wasn’t supposed to, but I heard Oliver say to Mom, “I was kinda hoping for a ‘hi Dad!’ or a ‘good to see you, Dad’.”

Mom quietly said, “Give it time.”

I stood there, feeling tears of anger well up as I watched the car being loaded with luggage. I wanted to shout, “You’re not my Dad!” But for Mom’s sake, I’m trying hard not to be a dick about it. She’s married to him. But I’m not.

The car was a bit crowded as we all piled into it. My aunt, Me-maw and Pe-paw all sat squeezed into the front seat. Oliver, Mom and me all got into the back seat with me sitting between Oliver and Mom.

Oliver looked down at me. “So, sport. Did you miss me?”

I gave him a blank expression. “Were you gone?”

Oliver’s face fell. I poked him in the ribs and giggled. “I’m kidding!” Maybe.

Oliver’s smile returned and he said, “So, what have you been up to?”

Before I could answer, Aunt Christine said with a grin, “Chrys has a boyfriend!”

“I do not!” I shouted.

Mom smiled broadly. “A boyfriend! That’s great! What’s his name? Have I met him?”

I felt suddenly numb. “I don’t have a boyfriend.”

Aunt Christine said cheerfully from behind the steering wheel, “His name is Aaron. He’s the little brother of my boyfriend. He’s perfect for Chrystal. He’s cute. He’s smart. He’s into Star Trek and all that anime bull shit.”

Mom grinned at me. “That’s great, sweetheart.”

Not finished assassinating my character, Aunt Christine said, “And they’ve kissed.!”

Looking surprised, Mom said, “Oh my! This is serious! Two weeks away and Chrystal gets a boyfriend. Good thing I wasn’t away for three! She might have gotten married!”

I folded my arms and pouted. “Please stop!” Aunt Christine must be referring to the kiss at the picnic. She wouldn’t know about the hill…

Oliver ruffled my hair and grinned at me. “They’re just teasing you. You should be used to that by now.”

Mom scowled at Oliver. “And what does that crack supposed to mean?”

Looking in the rearview mirror, Aunt Christine grinned. “Awww. Their first fight!”

With a shell-shocked expression, Oliver said, “Hardly.” Mom huffed at him.

Chuckling, Aunt Christine, successful at destroying everyone’s happy mood, drove the car into a parking space at Golden Corral.

*          *          *

“Hey Munchkin. Happy to be back in your own bed?”

I smiled at Mom as I burrowed into my covers. “I am, Mom. It’s so nice to be back home. Are you happy to be home?”

Mom nodded with a smile. “I am. I had a good time while we were gone as well. Your aunt has told me you’ve asked to spend more time with Me-maw and Pe-paw this summer. Is that something you want?”

I nodded. “Not the whole summer. But I like riding my bicycle over there. And Me-maw is nice.”

Mom smiled. “Yes she is. She let you cook dinner a few times, didn’t she?”

“It wasn’t anything complicated. Only Pe-paw gets to use the BBQ pit. Same as with Dad. Do you remember?” I asked Mom.

Mom poked my nose. .”Of course I remember, sissy. Seems every Saturday during the summer, Dad would be grilling some burgers.”

I giggled at the poke. “Good times.”

Mom looked serious for a moment. “Your father likes to grill too.” I knew she meant Oliver. I just nodded.

Mom smiled at me. “So, tell me about Aaron.”

I shrugged. “What’s to tell. He’s a boy.”

Mom brushed her fingers through my hair. “You met him at a picnic with your aunt?”

“Yep.”

“Do you like him? Your aunt says he’s cute.”

I shrugged again. “I guess he’s cute. I like him. We like a lot of the same things.”

“You saw him a lot this past week. What’s this hill?” How the fuck did she know about the hill?

“We’d go riding when he’d come over. We’ve been all over the place. The hill? It’s just some random hill. It’s not very high. It’s just a nice place to sit and look around.” That’s all you’re getting out of me.

Mom pulled my covers up over my shoulders. “Okay, honey. I’m glad we’re all home, but you need to get to sleep. You need a bath in the morning before church.”

I groaned. “Do I have to?”

Mom asked, “Bath or church?”

I frowned. “Yes.”

Mom chuckled as she stood up. “You’re so silly. See you in the morning sweetie.” At my bedroom door, she paused a moment and then to someone standing outside the door, she said, “Next.”

I saw Oliver enter my room. I tried to pretend to be asleep.

He chuckled. “I know you’re not asleep, kiddo.”

I snuggled more into the covers. “I could be.”

Oliver patted my back through my covers. He combed my hair with his fingers. “I missed you, sport. I’m glad to see you again.”

I sighed. “I bet.”

“You know, this would all be better if you’d stop hating me. I’ve told you before that I have no intention of replacing your real dad in your heart. I know you miss him. I know you two had great times together. I know you’re sad he’s gone. This sounds weird, but I know he was your mother’s dad too. But you know, as much as she misses him, she’s decided she needs to move on. She believes your dad would have wanted that. That he’d want your mother to be happy.”

I rolled over slightly so I could look up at Oliver. “I know Dad would want Dede to be happy.”

Oliver nodded. “And what about you? Wouldn’t he want you to be happy too?”

“My dad is dead. You’ve never met him. You can’t know him. And you sure as hell can’t speak for him!” Oliver winced when I said “hell”. “It’d be perfect for you if my memory would just fade away, wouldn’t it?”

Oliver’s eyes moistened. “You’re right. I’ve never met him. I wish I had. Your mother and I watched a bunch of your home movies. Your dad and your Pe-paw would have gotten along great. They’re a lot alike. And you’re right. It would be easier for me if your memories just faded away.” He fell silent for over a minute. “I flushed all those pills down the toilet.”

I looked up at him. I didn’t say anything. He pulled my covers up and said, “Good-night, sport.”

*          *          *

“We’re letting y’all out early today! Children, have a fun and safe summer vacation!” exclaimed our fifth grade teacher. The classroom was immediately filled with squeals and cheers. Above the din, the teacher added, “Be sure to take home any papers you have left.”

I stepped outside into the brilliant noon sun. I couldn’t believe it! I managed to survive a second tour of fifth grade largely intact. All my fellow inmates were running and shouting from the school’s exits. I stood under the shade of one of the school ground trees, enjoying a rare moment of solitude. Well, as much as I could get with screaming kids around me.

I opened my backpack and extracted my cell phone. I didn’t have these the last time around. I had to walk home. How gauche! Actually, walking might be the better option as I was told to call Aunt Christine the moment I was released from school. Mom and Oliver were both at work. She was able to take the day off from her job so she could pick me up. I guess I don’t rate that high a priority for Mom to take time from her work.

“Yeah, squirt,” said my aunt when she picked up my call.

“I require your assistance as I’ve just been released from my imprisonment. Please retrieve me posthaste.” I chuckled to myself in the belief I was being funny.

Sounding annoyed, Aunt Christine said, “You’re such a little princess. We’re already on our way. See ya in a few.” What did she mean by ‘We’?

A few minutes later when she arrives, I learn why she used a plural. Her boyfriend Pete was in the front seat with her. In the backseat was Aaron!

As I ran up to the car, Aunt Christine stuck her head out the window and shouted, “Backseat, squirt!”

As I climbed into the backseat, I wanted to shout a greeting to Aaron. I’m not sure why I was so excited to see him. I haven’t even talked to him since Mom and that other person got back home. Instead I sat demurely and said, “Hey, Aaron. Good to see you again.”

Grinning at me, Aaron said, “It’s great to see you again, Chrys.”

From the front seat, Aunt Christine said, “I thought… and Pete agreed, that we should celebrate the last day of school by having lunch at Chuckles the Rat.”

Both Aaron and I shouted “Yay!” because it meant we were getting pizza for lunch and their arcade games usually aren’t broken. The rumor and I’m not sure if it’s true or not, is that they use real rat meat in their hamburger pizza. Good marketing ploy for adolescent boys as their buffet can’t keep up with demand for hamburger while the pineapple/strawberry pizzas just sit there and rot.

Pete didn’t seem to enjoy shelling out for the expensive but sub-par pizza. After we got our hands stamped, Aaron and I ran to the buffet and got our pizza slices and cups of soda. The place was filling up quickly with kids whose parents had the same idea as Aunt Christine.

“So. Whatcha been up to?” I asked as I took my first bite.

Aaron shrugged. “Same-o, same-o I guess.” After he took a bite, he said, “Oh, you remember Willy?”

I took another bite and swallowed. “The guy with the pool table?’

Aaron chucked. “Yeah, him. His mother made his dad get rid of the pool table. She wanted to park her car in the garage instead.”

I shook my head. “That sucks. I’ve never been back since my time. I guess I won’t go back now. I decided I felt uncomfortable around Willy if I was alone.

Aaron shrugged. “He’s alright.”

The curtain hiding Chuckles opened and the animatronics rat began singing.

Aaron nudged me. “I think this is a good time to hit the games. Pete said he didn’t want to stay at this place more than an hour.”

I looked at Chuckles and laughed. “I agree. Let’s go!”

My aunt and Pete’s brother got us each a cup of tokens to spend on games. We grabbed out cups and started to run towards the games. Aunt Christine shouted to our retreating selves, “Remember, no refills on those cups.” I waved an acknowledgement.

We both headed to the same game Xenomorph Exterminator II. It was a two player game. I don’t know about Aaron, but back in my college days, I dominated at this game.

As we plopped in our tokens, Aaron grinned and said, “Prepare to get pwned!”

I took my stance while holding my electronic pistol. “In your dreams!”

To lure you in, the game starts in an easy mode and Aaron and I were easily blasting the targets. We handily cleared the next three levels. The game set up the next level which is a lot more challenging.

Aaron glanced over at me. “Okay girl. This is where the shit gets real.”

I laughed. “You’ll be lucky if I leave you any targets.”

As we played, we actually had a crowd gather around us to watch. I was actually starting to sweat, though my younger body gave me quicker reflexes. Aaron was damned good.

While the game was changing the level, a boy standing next to me said, “You’re pretty good. You know, for a girl.” I ignored him.

This is a twelve level game. I’d never gotten beyond level seven. From what I’ve read, most never get that far. The game has been around for years and few have beaten it. Aaron and I were going to give it a shot.

We high-fived each other as we reached level ten. Our cups of tokens was dwindling fast now as we kept using up all of our game lives and had to plunk in another token to continue. We had managed to gather a large crowd of on-lookers. I looked at Aaron as we approached the end of level ten. His face was a mask of grim determination. I’m sure I looked much the same. In movies and TV shows, they always show kids playing games while laughing and giggling. In reality, having fun is serious business.

In horror, I watched my character go down just before we entered the twelfth and final boss level. I had one token left in my cup. Aaron was shouting for me to hurry to drop in my last token. I don’t think the game was happy with us reaching the boss level. The combat became royal bitch. People were cheering us on. Even the Rat management came over to see what was going on.

Aaron went down as we entered the final arena. As he dropped his token in, he said, “I only have one token left.” I had none.

The boss was about to go down when both of us managed to die. The countdown started on the screen counting the seconds we had left to drop in another token. Aaron picked up his last token, hesitated a second and then dropped it in my coin slot.

“You’re closer, girl. Take that bastard down!” I thought Aaron was crazy.

Almost as soon as I respawned, my health was knocked down by half. My focus was solidly set on this game. I was aware of nothing else around me. Drenched in sweat, my health down to two percent, I wasn’t even aware at first of the final boss exploding. The kids who had gathered around us cheered. Aaron slapped my back. “You did it, girl! You won!” He hugged me in my moment of glory.

Feeling slightly numb, I had a dopy grin on my face. I said, “Holy shit! I’ve been trying to defeat this game since my college days!”

Aaron looked at me funny. He said, “You’re only ten.”

I said, “I… I uh. It feels it’s been that long.”

Aunt Christine and Pete stepped behind us. My aunt said, “What are you guys doing? It’s time to go.” Aaron and I looked at each other and shook our heads. Two boys who had been watching jumped up to the game and started dropping in tokens.

A Chuckles employee walked up to me and handed me a game token. He said, “You won a free game.”

Aaron and I burst out in a fit of giggles. Aunt Christine said, “Oh. Isn’t that nice? You can use it next time. Come on, let’s go.”

*          *          *

Mom shook my shoulder gently. “Come on honey. You need to get up and get dressed. I’ve laid out a nice dress for you to wear.”

Not opening my eyes, I groaned, “What? Why? It’s summer. Leave me alone!”

Mom pulled my covers from me and said, “Get up, squirt. You have an appointment in an hour.”

Feeling groggy, I sat up in my bed. “Appointment? What appointment?”

Mom sat on my bed. “Don’t you remember, honey? The DHS wants to perform a one year evaluation.”

I laid my head back on my pillow. “DHS? They can just go fuck themselves!”

Mom slapped my bottom and exclaimed, “Young lady! What have I said about using language like that?”

I sat up again and rubbed my eyes. “I’m sorry Mom. I don’t like those people. I want them to leave me alone.”

Mom said, “They doing this for all the girls like you. It’s been a year since you became a little girl. They want to check how everyone is progressing.”

“Can’t I just phone it in? Hey, I’m fine. Now go away.”

Mom shook her head. “I think it has to be a bit more scientific than that. Now hurry up and get dressed. I want to put a little make-up on you too.”

I frowned at Mom. “I don’t think so. I don’t like make-up.”

Mom chuckled. “In a couple of years, you’ll be begging me to let you wear make-up because all your friends wear it.”

Shaking my head, I said, “I sincerely doubt that.”

Mom frowned at me. “Will you get dressed already? We have to drive all the way across town.”

An hour later, we were driving up to the lab the DHS was using for their testing. I was dressed in a pretty, light blue dress and light make-up. Mom always manages to win. As we got out of the car, Mom took my hand and led me to the lab entrance. Oliver declined to join us and went to work instead. I probably would have done the same if I were him.

A woman dressed in a lab coat walked up to us after Mom had let them know we were here. To me she said, “We’re going to interview your guardian first. It’ll probably take twenty minutes.” She turned and she and Mom left the room.

Dollars to donuts I was being monitored to see how I acted. I pulled my cell phone from my purse and turned on the Kindle app. I then sat in one of the big soft chairs and began reading.

After about twenty-five minutes, Mom returned. The woman held the door open and looking at me said, “Miss. Please come with me.” We walked into a room resembling a lab of some kind. She pointed at a chair, indicating I should sit.

I smoothed the skirt of my dress under me and sat. A man in a lab coat approached me. He looked a little familiar.

Smiling at me, he said, “Good morning Chrystal. You may remember me from last time. I’m Dr. Kimble. How are you doing?” He took a seat at a large desk with a computer sitting on top.

“I’m doing okay. I guess,” I said, fidgeting.

Dr. Kimble continued to smile at me. “Please relax. I’m going to be mainly asking you questions. We will have to draw some blood and take a stool sample. First things first though. Congratulations, Chrystal! You are officially eleven years old. Today’s date will officially be noted as your birthday.”

I looked around the lab. “Do I get a cake?”

Dr. Kimble shrugged. “You’ll have to ask your mother about that.” He shuffled through a stack of papers on his desk. “You have been a little girl for a year now. How do you feel about it? Like most of you in your situation, you initially rejected the whole concept.”

I shrugged. “I’ve gotten used to being a girl. I don’t like being treated as a child. Especially now.”

Dr. Kimble leaned forward as he interlaced his fingers. “Ah yes. You have a new authority figure in your life. Your guardian who adopted you has gotten married. From what I understand, you don’t accept this person as your new father. Why is that?”

I frowned. “He insists I call him Dad. I don’t. He’s not my dad.”

Dr. Kimble thumbed through a few papers on his desk. “Actually, miss, he is legally your father. He’s officially adopted you. He’s now legally responsible for you. And will continue to be so even if your parents’ divorce. Do you not like him? Does he mistreat you?”

I shook my head. “No. He’s okay, I guess. He’s not my dad and he’s clueless about being a parent. I no longer have my original family name.”

Dr. Kimble said, “This resentment towards a new father is more common that you think. And if in the future you were to marry, you’d lose your family name anyway.”

I scowled at Dr. Kimble. “Who says I’m getting married?”

Smiling, Dr. Kimble pressed his finger tips together and said, “Let’s talk about that for a moment. According to your mother, you now have a boyfriend?”

Looking confused, Dr. Kimble said, “So there’s no boy you recently started enjoying the company of him? Go riding and exploring on your bicycles?”

I sighed. “Well yes. There’s a boy I hang out with when I’m visiting my grandparents. He likes a lot of the same things I do.”

“And you’ve kissed?”

I nodded.

Dr. Kimble studied me a moment. “Did you enjoy it? I’m told you have kissed this boy more than once.”

My scowl deepened. “You’re getting a bit personal there, aren’t you bub?”

Dr. Kimble smiled slightly. “We’re just trying to measure your progression from child to young woman. Earlier, we had some concerns about your development.”

There was a long pause while Dr. Kimble jotted down some notes.

“Can I say something?” I asked while Dr. Kimble was studying some charts.

“But of course, miss. I’ll try to answer all of your questions.”

I looked down at my hands. “I know I tend to be snarky and flippant. But I’ll be honest, doc. I’m scared. I’m scared about where I’m going and what I’ll become.”

Dr. Kimble nodded. “Go on, miss. What exactly do you find frightening?”

I sighed and closed my eyes for a few moments. “I’m going to become a woman.”

Dr. Kimble nodded. “That’s what happens when little girls grow up.”

My eyes widened. “That terrifies me, doc!”

Dr. Kimble narrowed his eyes at me. “Can you explain?”

I looked away and stared at some equipment. “I’ll try to be clear. I’m sure you’ll say it’s irrational. Look. If I’d been a girl since birth, becoming a woman would have always been the goal. You get dolls to play being mommy. You wear ribbons in your hair and wear cute dresses and even toy cosmetics. And I know you have options in life, but just look at my mom as an example. She’s felt for a while now that to be complete, she needed a husband.”

Dr. Kimble said, “She told us she was hoping to grow the family. She wants to add a sibling for you. How do you feel about that?”

I sat up straighter. “That’s the first I’ve heard of that. But there you go. I’ll be relegated to second class status while the new baby who is actually genetically hers will get all the attention.”

Dr. Kimble studied me a moment. “So. Is it attention or independence you want?”

“You’re twisting my words!” I exclaimed. “That’s not what I meant.”

Smiling slightly, Dr. Kimble said, “Let’s get back to your fear of becoming a woman. Let’s try to get to the meat of your fear. You don’t have to wear make-up or wear dresses or even be feminine. You just started a relationship with opposite sex. Is that what you fear?”

I nodded. “That’s it in a nutshell. I didn’t want to have anything to do with boys. Nothing! Nada! Most of my friends felt the same. But something happened. I like Aaron. I mean I really really like Aaron. Not just as a bud. As a guy, I never felt a desire to kiss my friends. But it’s really nice to kiss Aaron. Mom says I can’t date yet. But she knows and approves of me liking Aaron. What’s worse is that I’m noticing other boys. There are a couple of boys at church who are really cute! I don’t understand why I suddenly have these feelings!”

Dr. Kimble chuckled. “It’s called growing up, miss. You’re on the cusp of becoming a young woman. As your hormones start to kick in, your emotions and experiences are going to explode.”

I sighed. “Terrific. That’s all I need…”

*          *          *

We sat on the top of the hill, holding each other’s hands. It was a chilly November afternoon. The sky was a deep, dark blue. A slight breeze disturbed my hair.

“I really wish your parents weren’t moving away. I’m going to miss you so much.”

Aaron pulled me closer to him. “Oh, I’m going to miss you too. But Dad found his new job opportunity was just too good to pass up.”

“We have each other’s phone numbers,” I said. “I’ll call you every day.”

Aaron nodded. “Me too.”

He leaned in and kissed me. We kissed for a long time.

After a week of Aaron moving away, I never heard from him again.

Replacement ending

*          *          *

It’s been over three years since Aaron moved away. But I still come to the hill to do my deepest thinking. It’s a good place for it. I’m sure other people come here, but I’ve yet to see anyone else. And did I need to do some thinking! So many things on my mind today.

Today I turn fourteen years old. Well, according to DHS who we thankfully don’t hear from anymore. We had my birthday party last Saturday where Mom and Dad popped for the cost of movie tickets for me and my six closet friends. That of course included my current boyfriend, Jack. I chuckled to myself thinking of Jack. He’s my third boyfriend since the first of the year. He’s a great kisser.

It’s weird to realize I’m a teenage girl now. School starts in a few weeks and I’ll be in high school. High school! More dating. Going to dances. And in a couple of years, there’s prom. My life has really picked up since I finally accepted who I was. But never forgetting who I used to be. Honestly, I’m so glad I’m not a boy! I grinned at the memory of when I was almost thirteen, begging -- begging mind you, for Mom to let me start wearing make-up. I’d sworn I’d never lower myself to wearing any make-up and now I’m single handedly keeping Maybelline in business. And of course that was followed from both Mom and Dad, lectures about the dangers of boys. They didn’t have to. I have a unique perspective about boys having been one.

I heard the sound of grass being crunched behind me. A moment later, Jack was sitting on the grass beside me. He put an arm around my shoulder.

He grinned when I turned to look at him. He’s so cute with his blue eyes and longish sandy blond hair. He said, “I thought I’d find you here.”

I laughed. “Yep. This is a great place to come to be alone. Operative word being ‘alone’”

Jack shook his head. “Fine. I’ll leave.”

I grabbed his arm. “Stay, dork. You know I was kidding.”

Jack chuckled. “That sarcastic humor of yours is going to get you in trouble someday.”

I laughed. “Someday?! Where have you been, boy?” Jack knows my history and doesn’t care that I was once a sixty-five year old fart. He correctly calls it another existence.

He rubbed my leg for a moment. He said, “Cheerleader tryouts are next Wednesday. Are you still going to try out?”

I grinned at him. “Are you kidding? I can’t wait! I’m sure to make the squad. I’ve been practicing all summer.”

Jack nodded. “I’m sure you’ll do great.”

“You’re coming to watch, right?”

With a grin, Jack nodded. “Wouldn’t miss it for anything.” I leaned over and kissed him. I do love having a boyfriend.

I sat back and we both fell silent for several minutes. I idly watched the traffic from our little hilltop view.

With his fingers, Jack brushed my hair back. “Whatcha thinking about?”

I didn’t answer right away. I sighed heavily. “What I usually think about. The future, and what it means for me. This has been a wild ride for me. I mean, when I left college, being a high school girl wasn’t on my BINGO card of possible futures.”

Jack put his arm around me and drew me close to him. He nuzzled my neck. “Well, I for one am glad you are.”

I smiled as I leaned my head against his. “Me too, Jack. Me too.”

We sat on top of the hill until well after sundown.

The End

********************************************
Original ending
********************************************

“Mom. What do you think?” I asked Mom as I pirouetted in my prom dress and heels. I spent the afternoon at the salon getting all glammed up. I was expecting Jeremy to arrive any minute. I was so in love with him!

Mom was beaming. “Oh honey! You are absolutely gorgeous! My little girl is all grown up! If only your father could have seen you!” Dad had been killed two years ago in a freak accident at a party wearing a sumo wrestler suit.

The doorbell rang. “Oh my God! Oh my God! There he is! Is my make-up okay?

Mom smiled. “You look beautiful, Chrystal. Go have a great time but be back before midnight.”

I stood straight and smoothed my dress. “I will Mom.” I smiled at her. “Thanks for everything, Mom.”

Grinning, Mom said, “Go answer the door!”

I nodded and nervously opened the door. There before me stood my handsome boyfriend looking gorgeous in his rented tux. He grinned when he saw me. He was holding a wrist corsage.

With a silly grin, Jeremy said, “You look totally beautiful, Chrystal. This is for you.” He held out the corsage. It was so beautiful.

As he started to slip on my hand, I felt as if I’d been punched in the gut. I felt dizzy and the world began to spin. My legs got weak. And then everything went black.

*          *          *

I slowly opened my eyes. I felt nauseous. At first I couldn’t tell where I was. My eyes had trouble focusing. I seemed to be surrounded by bars. Had I been arrested?

Mom’s voice said in almost a whisper. “You’re awake! You’ve been in a coma for four months!”

I looked around. My eyes still not focusing. “Where am I? What’s going on? Where’s Jeremy?” My voice sounded odd. And the words weren’t sounding the way I heard them in my head.

Mom looked down at me. Why was she above me? “Now honey. You’re not going to like this. But the virus has mutated again. Yes. Again. You are now…uh…you’re now a one year old baby boy. I gave you your old name back. You’re back to being Harry.”

“I’m what?!” I squealed. “Are you fwucking serlious? I… I’m hwafing twuble tokking.” Shit! If I mutate again, will I become a zygote?

Mom looked at me with a pained expression. “The doctors said to expect a rapid cognitive decline after awakening. They expect your mental state to return in a year or two.” Based on what data!?

I shook the rails of my crib and began to cry. I’m a baby? Damn the fates! And damn Ron Simon! May he wut in in… oh! Shiny things!”

The End

up
110 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

ouch, ouch ouch

NOT the ending I was expecting or hoping for at all.

What a cruel fate!

DogSig.png

I have to admit

SammyC's picture

I'm a little disappointed at how things ended up for poor Harry/Chrys. What a bummer! Nonetheless, this was another great story, Melanie. I hope there will be more Switcher Universe stories from your keyboard. It's a brilliant concept, above and beyond the original TG impetus.

Hugs,

Sammy

Note to self:

Don't complain about where you are in life.

Ron

Such a twist for the ending + edit

Julia Miller's picture

Chrystal was just getting used to being a girl and then zap! She’s now mutated into an infant. I doubt her (his) memories will survive this time around. An infant brain just won’t have the synapses to hold everything. Great story though. It makes me wonder if Harry will make it to adulthood or if he will mutate again…

The second ending is much better. It’s more congruent with the story.

Not A Happy Ending

joannebarbarella's picture

Poor Chrystal/Harry. The fates seem to have him/her in their sights.

Ah well

Robertlouis's picture

So Chrystal has lost all her battles and in the cruellest way possible.

But the moral and ethical questions for society as a whole remain unanswered. The entire Switcher concept is a brilliant sci-fi concept worthy of Le Guin, with a central moral premise which is as profound as it is dangerous.

Plenty of scope for further exploration, Melanie, but I can easily understand you wanting to walk away from it for a while. It’s both dark and heavy.

☠️

Nice story

Nice story overall
Had a feeling Aaron wasn't going to call
Saw Chrystal finally accepting Ollie as Dad
Interesting ending

A disease

That will just not stop giving, apparently you will never get over it either. I prefer the new ending much more.

New ending is much better

The new ending is so much better than the original
Less time skipping and no age regression

Ok,

The second ending for me thank you. We don't go through life's trials for practice

Ron

I'm a sucker for happy endings

I like this ending better than the first but to me the real ending is what the author thinks is best

Boys will be girls... if they're lucky!

Jennifer Sue

The original ending was a gut

The original ending was a gut-punch for all the readers who were rooting for Crystal to be successful in her unwanted transition. It was a brilliant twist but oh, so dark. The revised ending went all the way to really sweet but I'm sure most readers wil prefer it. Thanks for the ride, Melanie!