Casual Conversation - Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version



Casual Conversation
 
Chapter 6

by Torey


 
"Where do you want this?" I said, bringing a couple of boxes of Chinese food into Frank's office.
"Just put it right here on the desk," he said as he cleared the desk of blue prints. "Thanks for bringing this, I'm starving."
He rewarded me by giving me a kiss on the cheek.
"So what are you workin' on my man," I asked.
"We won a major contract this morning," he said. "We're building a hotel and conference center down by the waterfront."
"The Hilton hotel contract you were telling me about?" I asked.
"That's the one," he said. "It's going to be a lot of work. It's also going to mean a lot of money for the company. That's why I asked you to pick us up some Chinese. I didn't have time to come home for lunch. But I also wanted us to celebrate a little."
"Well, I would have brought us some champagne if I had known," I said. "But you don't need to be working on the job."
"Enough with my big news," Frank said. "How did things go with your appointment with Craig this morning."
"Oh Dr. Barnes is quite charming," I said. "In a couple of weeks, I'm going to feel like Franken Cignetti's monster."
"Franken Cignetti's monster," Frank asked. "I would prefer Bride of Franken Cignetti?"
"Bride of Franken Cignetti?" I said. "I hope that's not a proposal. If so, that's pretty lame."
It brought a chuckle from Frank.
"So why do you refer it to Franken Cignetti's monster?" Frank asked. "You're just getting breast implants."
I shook my head no. I told him I was also opting for facial feminization surgery.
"You're face looks OK to me," he said.
"Well, if I'm going to do this, I want to do this right," I said. "I'd like to get the vaginoplasty, too. But I want to go through a few therapy sessions first."
"I know that's going to be a little more than what you were expecting to do," Frank said. "I'm glad you're doing all of that. But I want you to know, I don't want you to rush it."
"I appreciate that, dear," I said. "But I think the timing is right, although I am a little nervous about it."
He did everything to reassure me. He told me he was going to be there for me, every step of the way.
"So what are your plans for the rest of the day?" he asked.
"I've got a few errands to run," I said. "I may also squeeze in a yoga class."
I wiped off his face. He had rice on his lip.
"I've got to run," I said, giving him a kiss on the lips before leaving. "Don't work too hard."
He gave me a pat on the butt before I walked out the door and stole another kiss.
"Did I tell you you looked sexy in that dress," he whispered.
I smiled.
"You get to work, my man," I said.
***
"Cassie..or Dave, is that you?" I heard a voice say as I was looking through dresses.
I decided to do a little shopping. Marie's clothes were great, but I sort of wanted some clothes of my own.
"Gina?" I replied. Gina D'ambrosia was one of the "real" girls who worked at Grande Illusions. She was a featured performer with hopes of becoming a Vegas showgirl. She always put on a tasteful show.
"My God it is you," she said. "You look great, I hardly recognized you. Mona told us what you're doing. I think it's awesome. How's it going?"
"Going well," I said. I didn't tell her about the surgery coming up. "Oh my God, luck at you...and this can't be Reid?"
Reid was her son. She was a single mom who sometimes brought him to the club while she was working. He hung out backstage.
"It is, can you believe he's 11."
"No, you've really grown up," I said, patting him on the head. "So mom dragged you along while she's looking for dresses?"
"Oh, we're shopping for the both of us," she said, picking up two black matching sequined dresses.
"Really?" I said, noticing Reid blushing.
"Saturday's my last show," Gina said. "I finally landed a job in Vegas. I wanted to do something special and include him in the act. I was surprised when he said he wanted to dress up like the girls. Mona gave us the OK."
I held up Reid's chin.
"I'm sure you'll do fine," I said. "Maybe I can talk Frank into going with me to watch it."
***
"14," I said as I reached the end of the pool. "And I beat you, Caesar!"
He jumped in when I started doing laps and tried to keep up.
"Good job you two," Frank said before I climbed out of the pool.
"I didn't hear you pull up," I said as he handed me my towel. "Hope you had a productive rest of the day at work."
"I did indeed my dear," he said, handing me a drink after I wrapped the towel around me.
"How long do you think it will take you to get dressed?" he asked.
"Well it depends, why do you ask?" I replied.
"I've booked us reservations at Lombardi's," he said. "Then I thought I would take my girl dancing, if she feels up to after doing so many laps in the pool."
"Oh, I'll feel up to it!" I said. "You better hope you can keep up, old man."
Lombardi's was the nicest Italian restaurant in town. I went there a couple of times, but it was years ago. I couldn't afford it while I was working at Grande Illusions.
I picked out a red dress after grabbing a shower. I didn't take me long to do my hair. I just kept things simple.
We rode to Lombardi's in the Rolls. Frank was going all out.
There was a long line when we got there...but we walked right in. Frank had a table waiting.
The candles were already lit. He pulled my chair out for me like a perfect gentleman and ordered our food.
I was completely shocked when a man with a violin came up and serenaded us.
"Give me your hand," he said. I reached across the table and saw his face aglow in the candlelight.
He pulled out a box.
"Oh my!" I said as he opened the box.
"I've got a confession to make," he said. "I was mourning when I went to Grande Illusions. But the moment I saw you, you took my breath away. I knew I was in love."
For me, it was a little more gradual. It wasn't how he looked, but how he carried himself. And how he cared for and treated me. He saw me as a woman even before I was willing to accept it myself.
"I love you too, my man," I whispered, fighting back the tears.
"Debra, I know its really soon, and you'll think this is probably too quick."
"Oh my," I said again.
"Will you marry me," he asked on one knee.
"You know we have a long journey ahead before we can do that," I said.
"I know," he said. "I promise you I'll be there for you every step of the way."
I smiled. I cried...I said yes.
And the whole restaurant applauded.

up
128 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Torey,

ALISON

'just beautiful!I'm so tearful I can hardly see the
keyboard.Can't wait for your next post.

ALISON

Interesting circumstances

Two people who know what they are doing and know what they want.
Not much conflict here but the circumstances are fascinating enough to keep us interested anyway.
I like this a lot.

- Moni