Sarah Carerra - 1.22 - Happy Birthday, Aunt Judy

Printer-friendly version
My nervousness turned to outright anxiety when the door swung open and the inviting smell of a roast wafted out past my cousin Katy.

Sarah Carerra
Chapter 22 - Happy Birthday, Aunt Judy
by Megan Campbell
Copyright  ©2010 Megan Campbell
Released: February 15, 2010

Editor Note: The images used for this story were purchased and used under royalty-free license* from Istockphoto.com . ~Sephrena
Author Note: Please email me at AngelJediGirl (at) gmail (dot) com before posting this story to any other site. Posting to a pay site is prohibited.

Comments and suggestions are also welcome at the above email address.

*  *  *

Chapter 22 - Happy Birthday, Aunt Judy

"He's going to let you come to school as Megan?" Emily asked incredulously on our way home.

"Yeah, can you believe it?" I replied.

"No!" she exclaimed. "He was so upset on Friday!"

"I know. I need to thank my mom for whatever she said."

"You guys want to go to a movie tonight?" Ethan asked in an attempt to change the subject. I think he was still uncomfortable with the Megan situation.

"Sure," Emily replied cheerfully.

"I can't. I have to go to my Aunt's house for her birthday party," I said with a frown.

"Aww," Emily moaned. "We never get to hang out with you anymore!"

"I know," I told her. I felt the same way. "Let's do something together tomorrow. I don't have to do anything for the record company."

"How come you are doing so much if you aren't going to be on the radio for months?" Emily asked.

The pang of regret I felt at her question must have been visible on my face. Emily immediately looked concerned.

"I'm sorry, Em," I told her, near tears once again. "But my dad won't let me tell you."

It always came back to the same thing! I still wasn't sure why my dad felt this was the best way. He still hadn't given me a reason that I could believe. 'Trust me' could only go so far.

Emily stopped walking and wrapped her arms around me. "I'm sorry, Megan. I don't know what it is you are keeping from us, but I know it must be hard."

*  *  *

"Megan?" my mom asked when I entered my house. "Is that you?"

"Yeah," I replied while I stepped into the kitchen where she was putting the finishing touches on the food that she had been preparing for the party.

"Good," she said. "Hurry and get dressed. We need to leave in 45 minutes. I put a nice dress on your bed."

"Okay," I replied with a slight worry. "But they don't know about Megan. Do you think a dress will be alright?"

My mom smiled at me like she knew something I didn't before she spoke. "Honey, it isn't about what they think, it's about who you are."

She seemed too calm about this. I mean, I could be ostracized by my extended family, or at least Mom's side. Yes I wanted them to know about Megan, but I was still somewhat scared to tell them.

"I guess," I replied, not nearly as confident as she had sounded.

"Anyway, I talked to Judy after I talked to your principal this morning," Mom continued. "She said that it was about time she got to meet Megan. Katy will probably feel the same way."

I'm not sure what shocked me more, the fact that Aunt Judy already knew about Megan or that she was okay with me showing up that way! Katy was my cousin. We were the same age and hung out a bit, but it was Derek, her older brother, who always seemed to want to hang out with me at family gatherings. He was a year older than me, but I was the closest boy to his age in the family. I figured he probably wouldn't take my change very well.

"Go get dressed!" Mom interrupted my thoughts. "We can talk about it in the car."

"Okay," I said, but I still needed a few answers first. "But what did you tell my principal? He was actually nice to me today!"

Mom sighed. I don't think she wanted to discuss this now or we would be late, but it was something I needed to know.

"I told him the truth," she said. "After you left this morning, I started to worry. I wasn't sure if there was anything we could do if the principal decided to punish you. So I did some research on the internet."

She really must have been worried. Mom isn't exactly the most computer literate person I know. She usually only used the computer for basic things like checking her email and following a couple of our family's blogs.

"What did you find?" I asked her, intrigued.

"What he threatened to do to you is against the law," she replied. "California law prohibits any discrimination or punishment based on gender identity or gender presentation. From what you've told me, he's already broken the law. I just pointed that fact out to him."

I was stunned! I hadn't expected to have the law on my side! Was he only being nice to me because he had to? I wasn't sure. While his smile had seemed forced, it still seemed to be partially genuine.

"Get dressed!" Mom interrupted my thoughts again. I smiled at her and rushed out of the kitchen.

*  *  *

An hour and a half later we were pulling into Aunt Judy and Uncle John's driveway. It looked like the party was already in full swing by the number of cars parked in front of their house. I reluctantly exited the car and followed my parents to the door.

These family get togethers weren't formal by any means, but Mom always insisted that we look nice. Austin looked irritated by the collar of the polo shirt he had been forced into wearing, but I found myself happy to be wearing a nice sundress instead. Okay, so it was pink, but I didn't really mind. Mom thought it would help to reinforce who I now was.

Dad rang the doorbell. Girlhood certainly had its benefits. Dad was holding a crock pot full of something my mom had cooked, and Austin had a cake in his hands. Even Mom was holding a thing of Jello. Me? I was only holding the small clutch purse my mom insisted I bring.

Eventually my nervousness turned to outright anxiety when the door swung open and the inviting smell of a roast wafted out past my cousin Katy. She anxiously started scanning each of our faces until she found mine hiding behind my family and down a step.

"Megan!" She sounded excited to see me, and it looked like she was going to push right past my family to get to me before she realized what they were holding. Stopping only long enough to let my family into her home, she immediately rushed me and gave me a hug.

"I'm so glad you came!" she exclaimed. "Mom said you might not, and I was worried I wouldn't get to meet you."

"Hi, Katy," I said, finally finding my voice. I'd always liked Katy. We seemed to share a lot of the same interests. Maybe that should have been an indicator of where my life was going to lead me, but I never saw it before we met that evening. Something had definitely changed in our relationship, and I felt that we were going to be closer than ever.

"Katy!" I heard Uncle John yell from inside the house. "Come in and close that door, you'll let all the flies in!"

He then appeared behind her at the doorway. His mouth dropped slightly when he saw me, but he managed to motion us inside.

"Come on," Katy said excitedly while grabbing my hand and pulling me through the doorway. Once we were inside she yelled toward the kitchen, "Mom! Megan's here!"

I looked around the front room. Most of my extended family was already there, and they were gathered around the large TV set that Uncle John kept in the room.

It was also apparent that most of them had not been told about me. Some of them looked confused, wondering who I was. Some of them looked shocked at how I was dressed. My cousin Kyle was staring at me in a way I thought one cousin should not stare at another.

"Great, the fag's here," I heard someone say. I glanced around the room again and my eyes settled on the piercing eyes that were glaring at me. Derek had definitely not taking the news about me well.

"Derek!" I heard Aunt Judy yell from the other side of the great room, where she was standing. "I told you none of that! Go to your room!"

"Whatever," Derek said. He was obviously not chastised by his mother's yelling. "Come on, Kyle, let's go."

"But..." Kyle started but couldn't find the words he needed to finish. It was obvious he didn't want to leave the room while I was still there.

"Dude!" Derek yelled at Kyle. "It's Brett! Even if he was a real girl, you can't date your cousin!"

That statement seemed to get through to Kyle. I was saddened by the look of disgust that appeared on his face before he quickly followed Derek down the hall.

"Brett?" I heard Tracy ask. She was Kyle's older sister. She was sitting on the couch holding little Heather, the first grandchild in the family. She was also sitting next to Grandpa Jones, my mom's dad. It looked like he was ready to have a heart attack at my appearance.

"Come here, Megan," I heard Aunt Judy say from where she was still standing in the kitchen. "Let me get a look at you."

I must admit, I thought as I stepped around Katy to meet her mother, I was hoping for a better reaction from my mom's family. They knew about the accident. Most of them knew what it had cost me and the decision that had been placed before my parents. I hoped most of their reactions were only because of the surprise of seeing me before hearing about me.

"Wow!" Aunt Judy said when I had reached the kitchen. "You are beautiful!"

She then proceeded to wrap me in a comforting hug. With her mouth next to my ear, she whispered the words I was more than ready to hear: "You're always welcome here, Megan, no matter what."

"Thank you, Aunt Judy," I whispered back. When we separated I had a smile on my face.

"Everyone," I heard my dad say behind me and I turned to look at him. He was speaking in the tone of voice he used to command attention, but I think everyone was already giving it to him.

"You all know about the accident we were in six years ago," Dad continued. "You all know about the decision we were given about where Brett's life should go. You all know that we decided to leave it up to him."

Dad looked over at me and motioned me toward him. He continued to speak while I walked over and stood next to him. "Both Linda and I, along with a counselor, have been helping Brett find the path that his life should follow."

He looked at me and smiled warmly. The coldness that had taken hold of my heart at the reactions of my family started to thaw. Even if I lost my extended family, I had Mom and Dad to take care of me. Austin wasn't too bad either.

"Megan did not come into existence recently," Dad kept saying. "Our little girl came home from the hospital that fateful day six years ago. She's only learning that now, but it was soon after she came home that it became apparent to us. I know many of you have expressed your concerns about her behavior over the last few years, and about how girlish she was starting to look. What you didn't know is that she was already a girl. She's been developing just like any girl her age would, albeit slowly."

"Dad!" I squeaked at him. I could feel the heat rise in my face again as I started blushing. This was not the type of information that he should be sharing with the family!

My reaction seemed to break the tension that was floating around the room. It seemed like most of the guys seemed uncomfortable at the news my dad had shared, but the soft knowing chuckles from the ladies and older girls seemed to put them at ease. I realized then that my dad was not trying to embarrass me. He was trying to make the family understand how deep this decision was.

"Megan has been happier the past week since she made this decision than she has at any other time of her life," Dad kept talking. I noticed Mom standing on my other side and I felt even more comforted by her presence. She was nodding agreement with what my dad was saying. "I hope that you will accept her for who she is, because she is going to be around for a long time to come."

I had to hold back the tears as he bent down and gave me a hug.

"You're going to make me cry," I said aloud after he had let me go. That got another round of chuckles, and as I looked around the room it seemed like I was generally going to be accepted. Only a couple of the younger boys and Uncle Steven seemed to feel otherwise, judging by their faces.

Alright, everybody," Aunt Judy said, breaking the silence that had fallen after Dad's speech. "This is a party, so start having fun!"

That seemed to break the tension, and everyone seemed to return to what they were doing. At least the guys did. I noticed Tracy get up and a number of my younger female cousins follow Mom and me into the kitchen behind Aunt Judy. I knew the night was just beginning.

The first person to get me once we were safely in the kitchen was Grandma Jones.

"You look lovely, Megan," she told me with the sweetest smile on her face. Her smile was so genuine I could feel its warmth when she wrapped me in one of the hugs only a grandmother can give.

"Thank you, Gran," I replied. "That's so good to hear you say."

I'd managed to keep the tears back when we were in the front room, but Gran's acceptance was more than I could bear. The relief that I felt at her words broke the dam that was holding them back.

"Don't cry, honey," she said when she noticed my tears. "This is a good thing. Your Grandaddy and I have been praying that you'd find your happiness. You deserve this."

"I can't help it, Gran," I told her. "I'm just so happy right now."

She gave me another smile, one of understanding.

"So," Tracy said, breaking the moment I was sharing with Gran. I turned around to face the small crowd of women and girls who were standing around the kitchen. I knew that I was going to have to answer their questions if I wanted to get out of there alive. "You're a girl now?"

I thought my dad had been pretty clear on that statement. I nodded, but a sudden thought had me reaching into my purse. I pulled out the small compact that was inside and opened it to examine my face. Luckily I had gone light on the makeup, and I didn't look any worse for wear after the tears I had shed with Gran.

"I guess so," Kendra, one of the younger girls said. That got most of them laughing, and I blushed slightly as I replaced the compact in my purse.

"And this is real?" Tracy continued. She was waving her hand over my small chest and the slight glimpse of cleavage the dress gave.

"Yeah," I answered with a nod of my head. It seemed weird to be talking about this, but they were family, and I knew they cared about me.

"How long have you been on hormones?" Tracy continued her questioning.

"I haven't been taking hormones," I replied truthfully. She looked skeptical at my answer, so I continued. "Without any testosterone in my body, I've been developing this way for a couple of years."

She still looked skeptical when she said, "That seems like pretty generous development. I know that both men and women have some of the hormones of the opposite sex, but this seems like more development than you should have expected."

I was fairly stunned at her statement. Tracy is a Registered Nurse, and had quite an extensive medical knowledge to back it up. I didn't know what she was implying. I looked over at Mom, and she seemed to be stunned too. Could there be more to my condition than just the accident?

"I'm sorry," Tracy said almost immediately. "I didn't mean anything by that. I was just curious."

It was Mom who was able to voice our shared question. "Do you think there could be more to this than just her accident?"

"I honestly don't know," Tracy said. "I've heard of men who have been castrated developing larger nipples or a little puffiness, but nothing like this."

"Should we get it checked out?" Mom asked. I couldn't help but hear the worry that was in her voice.

"I guess it couldn't hurt," Tracy replied, juggling Heather into a new position on her hip. "I doubt there's anything life threatening involved, but it might help explain some things. I guess the real question is, are you happy?"

This one I could answer with assurance. I'd had plenty of time to think about it.

"Yes," I told her. "I am."

I had a warm feeling spread throughout my chest when I saw the smiles on all the women in the room.

*  *  *

After the novelty of me had faded somewhat, the family managed to settle down to a very delicious family meal together. One thing I could always count on when Mom's family got together was the good food. There were so many good cooks in her family we could open a chain of restaurants. It might be kind of nice to have Mom teach me a thing or two. I've never really cooked before, but I've always wished I knew how.

After dinner the family started to break apart into various groups. Most of the men were back in front of the TV, many of the women were talking around the dining table, most of the kids were running around in the basement playroom, and Katy and I found ourselves in her room.

Katy was showing me everything that she thought I would need to know to be a good girl. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I knew most of what she was trying to teach me.

She felt that I needed to have a good fashion sense. What she didn't know, and what I was reluctant to tell her, was that Julia had done a very good job of drilling into me the "rules" that I would have to live by. Katy was becoming frustrated when she would ask me a question she thought I couldn't answer, but I'd get it right anyway.

"I guess you truly are a girl then," she finally admitted when she couldn't stump me. She flopped down on her bed next to me. We were silent for a bit, the only sound in the room our breathing and the quiet song coming from her radio.

Before either of us could say anything else, the DJ started speaking.

"Stay tuned," he said. "After the break we've got a brand spankin' new song from an up and coming artist that you don't want to miss. After the break I'll introduce you to Sarah Carerra."

I bolted upright on Katy's bed.

They were going to play my song!

"What?" Katy asked.

I would have replied, but I was already off the bed and out her door.

"Mom! Dad! Come quick!" I yelled as I entered the great room. Everyone was staring at me, but I found my dad and motioned for him to follow me back to Katy's room.

"What is it?" he asked with concern.

"They're going to play Sarah's song on the radio!" I exclaimed as I continued to motion for him to follow me.

That was enough for him. I noticed that he was out of his seat quickly, and Mom wasn't far behind.

"Who's Sarah?" Katy asked as I turned to head back down the hall and almost ran over her.

"Come on!" I told her and raced back into her room. Fortunately it was still a commercial when I got there.

"Who's Sarah?" Katy asked again when I had sat myself back on her bed in anticipation.

"She's one of my clients," Dad replied for me. "She and Megan hit it off pretty well when they met the other day."

I knew that he wasn't going to tell the family my secret. If I couldn't tell Emily, why would we tell the family?

I noticed that quite a few people had followed us into Katy's room. Tracy was there along with a couple of the other older girls.

But it was the look on Aunt Judy's face that surprised me. She had a grin on her face that was nearly as long as mine! She knew! Her wink at me proved it!

I felt my jaw drop. I didn't understand how she knew. There's no way that Dad would have told her. But Mom...It HAD to have been Mom! Mom and Aunt Judy were like twins. They were born a year apart, and if Gran was to be believed, they were nearly inseparable while they grew up. Of course Mom would have told her!

Then I was surprised by the jealousy that overcame me. I was furious that Mom could tell her best friend, but I couldn't tell Emily! It was MY career!

I glanced over at my mom. She had seen my reaction. Her warning glance told me that I had better not tell my dad.

"Did I miss it?" Austin yelled at that moment as he came barreling into Katy's room.

"No," Dad said, and the warning glance he gave to Austin made sure that he didn't give anything away.

Before anyone could say anything else, I heard the intro to ‘Intuition' come through the speakers. Katy thankfully reached over and turned it up.

I closed my eyes for a moment, and I could almost see the music. I'd sung this song so many times by this point that it was ingrained in my head. This would hopefully be the song that jump-started my career as a teen pop sensation.

The chorus started, and I found myself quietly singing along...

It's just my...
In-tu-i-tion
I know it's meant to be,
When you are here with me.

In-tu-i-tion
All my dreams come true,
When I feel this love for you.

I realized what I was doing and closed my mouth. The last thing I needed was for someone to realize that my singing matched the actual song!

The song continued to play, and I settled for quietly humming along. When it was over, I was left with a joy that I had never felt before. My song was on the radio!

"That was really good!" Katy exclaimed from next to me on the bed. "How do you know the words?"

I blushed at her question. I shouldn't know the words to a brand new song, right?

"I was in the studio with her when she recorded it," I said and turned to my dad, looking for confirmation. He thankfully nodded. I mean, I WAS there when Sarah recorded it, so it wasn't exactly a lie, right?

"That was ‘Intuition' by Sarah Carerra," the DJ interrupted us. "If you didn't see her during the Tween Awards last Saturday, you better look out. Josh Holliday promised us she has a long career ahead of her."

I was blushing again at the mention of Josh. At least only my parents knew about that. Or so I thought, the confusion on Aunt Judy's face reminded me that she knew the truth. She obviously hadn't seen the Tween Awards or heard about Josh from my mother either.

Everyone started to wander off and I laid back down on Katy's bed, enjoying the afterglow.

*  *  *

Later that evening I was sitting on the couch with some of the family. They were watching TV, but I was mostly watching Heather.

Tracy seemed convinced that I was a girl and had left Heather in my care while she went to help with the birthday cake in the kitchen.

There was something about the infant that gave me a funny feeling. It was a good feeling, but I'd never felt it before.

Heather was only about six months old, but she was the cutest little baby I had ever seen. She seemed to be so full of energy, and her wide eyes wanted to take in everything they could see.

I was playing peek-a-boo with her, and she was really enjoying it. But apparently her squeals of delight were annoying some of the others.

"Would you shut up!" I heard Derek yell at me from the other side of the room.

"Yeah!" I heard Kyle quickly agree.

I looked over at them and they were both glaring at me.

"Cake!" Tracy yelled from the kitchen, interrupting any altercation that would have started.

Derek and Kyle seemed to forget about me immediately and raced toward the kitchen. By the time I was able to get Heather situated on my hip and made my own way there they were already singing to Aunt Judy.

After the song the pandemonium started as everyone tried to get their cake first. I decided I'd better keep Heather out of the melee and leaned against one of the walls to wait my turn.

"You'll make a good mother yourself someday," Aunt Judy said. I turned to find her standing next to me. I also felt myself blush again. "You look like a natural with Heather."

"Thank you," I managed to reply.

"That was a wonderful song," Aunt Judy told me with that knowing smile. "I'm really proud of you."

My blush wasn't going to go away if she kept this up.

"Thank you," I told her again. "Dad won't be happy if he finds out you know."

That got her to chuckle. "I know, dear, but your mom and I share everything with each other. It was eating her inside not to talk about it."

"I know," I said. "But it seems unfair that you know, but I can't tell my best friend."

"I'm sorry, honey," Aunt Judy said. "Your dad is just doing what he thinks is best for you."

"I know, but it still hurts," I replied.

"It'll only be for a little while," she explained. "Before you know it you'll be enjoying the secret together."

I've heard that before, but it didn't make me feel any better.

Luckily, birthday cake could.

*  *  *

Chapter 23 - Ripples in the Water
Coming Soon...
up
246 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank goodness...another ally...

Andrea Lena's picture

...I hope she says something to her brother in law...but this almost makes up for it all -
"That was a wonderful song," Aunt Judy told me with that knowing smile. "I'm really proud of you."As always...great story! Thanks


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I Would Tear Dad A New One!

jengrl's picture

I would tear dad a new one over this whole situation! Her mother tells her sister about Sarah and yet she can't tell Emily! He is a total control freak and it is long past time that Megan puts her foot down and calls him out. She needs to tell Dad about Mom blabbing to Judy and let him know that he is not going to stop her from telling who she wants. He is a total idiot to think that he should have the right to expect her to keep a secret like that! Emily is her best friend and best friends don't keep secrets like this. What a jerk! Hopefully, Megan will go ahead and tell Emily. It just makes no sense because Emily knows she got a recording contract and there is no reason to keep it from her.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

I fully agree

I can imagine that Emily has likely heard the song as well, and so when it comes up in the conversation Megan will decide to do what is best for her and share this with her best friend.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Both parents

Athena N's picture

Poor woman, "It was eating her inside not to talk about it", as if it was any easier for Megan. And even more, "Her warning glance told me that I had better not tell my dad."

So, dear mum has shown that her feelings and best friend are more important than Megan's, and in doing this she has taken from Megan the opportunity to make Emily the first one outside the 'inner circle' to know. She also knows she's been bad, and seems to be bullying the daughter she'd wronged to help with the cover-up. I hope someone rubs her nose in just what this means, and that she is bright enough to learn something.

Bullying her daughter,

Bullying her daughter, that's a bit strong.

I would say, she is showing the way to do to her daughter. She can tell her friends because they are important to her but keep it quiet for dad :)

I really do hope that the secret will be out soon.

Sarah Carerra - Chapter 22 - Happy Birthday, Aunt Judy

I can see that her cousins will be a problem, later on. Megan needs to learn how to defend herself.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The two boy cousins and the

The two boy cousins and the other males who gave nasty looks at Megan when she arrived really give me a desire to pound them. They all know about her accident and what it "cost" her, yet they are down on her for actually choosing a way to have a real life for herself as a girl. What a bunch of losers they are. Jan

Homophobic Cousins

ALISON

What sort of a weak wimp is Megan's Dad to let the cousins abuse her like that,especially as they know her history.Any father who wouldn't protect his daughter in a
situation like that does not deserve to be a father.As for the cousins,the less said the better for my blood pressure.We know what the catalyst was,Megan,when will we find the cause?Soon,I hope.A really great story!

ALISON

Seems a pivotal chapter to me

Lots of clues in this chapter.

One, NAIL the principle and those teachers that obeyed his directive to the wall. That he backed off so fast after learning Megan's mom knew what he had done and threatened to do to Megan was illegal tells me he knew it was illegal WHEN he did it. He broke the law knowingly as likely did those teachers. A half-assed apology in private after PUBLICALLY outing Megan, IE encouraging her possibly being assaulted, is not acceptable. Actions have consequences. They need to be suitably punished. The Principal is a bully and those teachers hardly any better. So serious fines or better yet suspensions are in order as are their actions being put on record. If they don't act now someone else will get hurt, maybe worse, in future.

The cousin worries me as does possibly the uncle. They are loose cannons. I don't think they would assault her, I hope, but they could out who he/she was and cause her life and career harm.

As to dad and mom, Megan/Sarah needs to talk to both, with her therapist present. They are at risk that the moment she turns 18 she is out the door. I mean, crap, her *loving* mom can blab the secret to her friend but not Megan to her closest friends? The friends heard her sing at that party,, they know her singing voice. She is at risk of losing their friendship once they hear that recording. Dad is an ass as a manager. If this is how he treats his *real* clients, do any stay with him for long? And as to dad setting her up on dates and other promos like she's a GG girl and at no risk of being outed? Is he nuts?

Mom is too lax in her protection of Megan. Her letting dad trample all over her feelings is one problem. Megan needs her *support network* now more than ever yet dad has effectively isolated her. Why isn't mom objecting? Yes he is the entertainment agent here but this is their child not some faceless client. She blabs to her sister yet, it is apparent in the six years since the horrific accident she has not had Megan/Brett medically re-evaluated. Only the psych sessions it would seem. I love how nicely flawed these people are, very Real World.

A potentially BIG clue in this chapter no one has mentioned so far. I quote.

>>
"And this is real?" Tracy continued. She was waving her hand over my small chest and the slight glimpse of cleavage the dress gave.

"Yeah," I answered with a nod of my head. It seemed weird to be talking about this, but they were family, and I knew they cared about me.

"How long have you been on hormones?" Tracy continued her questioning.

"I haven't been taking hormones," I replied truthfully. She looked a little skeptical at my answer, so I continued. "Without any testosterone in my body, I've been developing this way for a couple of years."

She still looked skeptical when she said, "That seems like pretty generous development. I know that both men and women have some of the hormones of the opposite sex, but this seems like more development than you should have expected."

I was fairly stunned at her statement. Tracy is a Registered Nurse, and had quite an extensive medical knowledge to back it up. I didn't know what she was implying. I looked over at Mom, and she seemed to be a little stunned too. Could there be more to my condition than just the accident?

"I'm sorry," Tracy said almost immediately. "I didn't mean anything by that. I was just curious."
It was Mom who was able to voice our shared question. "Do you think there could be more to this than just her accident?"

"I honestly don't know," Tracy said. "I've heard of men who have been castrated developing larger nipples or a little puffiness, but nothing like this."

"Should we get it checked out?" Mom asked. I couldn't help but hear the worry that was in her voice.

"I guess it couldn't hurt," Tracy replied, juggling Heather into a new position on her hip. "I doubt there's anything life threatening involved, but it might help explain some things. I guess the real question is, are you happy?"
>>

Hum? Could be nothing really significant, IE he was castrated very young which is unusual so Tracy may be wrong, it was time and his being so young when mutilated that made the feminine development seem unusual. OR it's a tumor producing female hormones?

OR was he partially intersexed -- yes that is the Dux Ex Machine of TG lit these days, still I wonder -- and his being emasculated so very young caused the vestigial female reproductive organs to start to mature in the absence of the testes and testosterone. Their hormone output accelerated their growth and it created a positive feedback loop. Whatever it is we don't know. Seems like the family stuck their heads in the sand. Time for a thorough medical re-evaluation of Megan, it's six years or more now, she's over due to be re-evaluated. If she has part of a female reproductive system that may help her but in any case they need facts not supposition.

The shit is nearing the fan. great stuff. Will it be smelling like a rose time or something far less enjoyable for our dear Megan?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Enhanced development

The funny thing is, ever since I wrote that blog post with a bunch of TG tropes, there seems to have been a glut of stories featuring my self-identified "Intersex shocker" trope.

It'll be interesting to see if this is the case with Megan (the character), or if Megan (the author) devises another explanation (perhaps her body has started naturally producing elevated levels without any apparent underlying cause)

-oOo-

Meanwhile, with the song now released on the radio, it hopefully won't be much longer before the digital download becomes available, so then hopefully the secret can be officially revealed.

However, there's another possibility no-one seems to have worked out yet - that Emily and Ethan figure it out for themselves. They know Megan's a singer, she's going to have a song on the radio at some point, and as I'm sure they've heard her sing, once Sarah's record starts getting more airplay they might notice that Sarah sounds suspiciously similar to Megan...

Especially if she accidentally-on-purpose starts duetting with herself :)

 
 
--Ben


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Why Ben...what are you implying?

Andrea Lena's picture

...is it odd to duet with oneself? I shouldn't think so...

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

what your s'gesting

do what ! with one's self?

I Agree

jengrl's picture

Megan's mother is too lax in not standing up to her husband. He seriously needs to be taken down a peg or two. It is long overdue . Mom could help Megan gang up on him and tell him that she told Judy and Megan should be allowed to tell her friends. Like I mentioned before, Emily and Ethan were there when she was discovered so it made ABSOLUTELY! no sense for this to be kept from them in the first place. Unless he gets the message and changes, I would fire him as my manager once I turn 18 if I was Megan. The cousins are going to have to have someone sit their homophobic asses down and explain to them what the consequences will be if they continue to cause Megan problems.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Can't See Where You Can Draw That Inference...

That he backed off so fast after learning Megan's mom knew what he had done and threatened to do to Megan was illegal tells me he knew it was illegal WHEN he did it.

I don't get it. If I were ignorant of a law and was then told about it and informed that I was in violation and people knew it, I'd back off as fast as I could, as the principal obviously has.

That doesn't mean he WAS ignorant -- only that his reaction ought to have been the same whether he previously knew about the law (or knew the law applied to him) or not, so there's no inference to be drawn there. And in either case one would be hard pressed to prove anything in court that would produce fines or suspensions for a first offense. (A temporary restraining order and/or preliminary injunction against a repeat performance, OK. But that doesn't seem to be the immediate problem, since the principal and the teachers did in fact desist.) And while granting that neither ignorance of the law nor "just following orders" is a suitable excuse for misconduct, I still wouldn't feel that going after the teachers would be just or productive here.

Eric

That really sucks!

I mean, mom teaming up with dad to "make" Megan keep the secret from her Best Friend, while at the same time, she's told someone. IMO, the double standard's likely to cause problems eventually. *sighs* Or, it should.

Yeah, Mom's known "Aunt J" longer than Megan's known her friend, but there was no word about "excuse". Interesting nobody noticed that not only did she know the words, she sounded JUST LIKE the girl singing - as she sang along.

Interesting that Brother Austin wanted to be there to hear the singing too. Glad she has so much support from her family. So far, I've not gotten any "rejections" from mine - but then, nobody in the family, outside my wife and kids, have seen Annette in the flesh. I hope that when they meet her, they'll continue to be so supportive.

Things seem to be going nicely here... Wonder how the Record Producer's son'll take the playing of the song... And, whether "Best Friend" heard it on the radio... And will wonder why Megan didn't introduce her to her "good friend" Sarah... That could well cause some strain between them as well. Specially if she (&/or the 3rd friend Ethan) recognize Sarah's voice, for that of their friend Megan. Others at the party are also possibilities for recognizing things. Could be a bit of a "sticky wicket".

Thanks,
Annette

It's terrible that

Megan has not been allowed to tell her best friend about being Sarah. The problem I see is that dad is concerned that once Megan/Sarah is unveiled, Megan/Sarah/Brett is sure to follow. What he hasn't really conveyed to his daughter are those fears. While Megan may be convinced that Emily would never blab her secret, it is awfully easy to slip up. And once Megan tells Emily, won't she soon be telling Ethan as well? Then who is next? Most of the people at school are--or will be--aware of the Megan/Brett connection and, despite some confusion on the part of many, the whole tale would soon be out once Sarah is connected to Megan.

The whole problem is that Sarah Carrera is just starting a career and her transformation from supposed boy could do serious harm to it if her secret is let out anytime soon. Frankly, I do not see how Megan's father thought he would be able to keep that a secret long enough to "establish" Sarah.

All we can hope for is that Megan's gradual development is found to be caused by an intersex condition, and that information becomes available before the paparazzi get wind of the rest of it. It will be hard enough to get people to treat her fairly in that instance. I fear that "Sarah Carerra, Transsexual Pop Star" is unlikely to survive the moral outrage of parents and many young people. Few people seem to be inclined to listen before passing judgment when this subject is raised.

SuZie

SuZie

It Just Sucks

I agree that it hurts Megan a lot to not be able to tell her best friend, and were it me, I perhaps would have shared it with her. I hope that she does not have to keep this under her hat for too long.

Khadijah

PS: Fun story.

Now we wait

For the public reaction, hopefully it will be a good one.