Sarah Carerra - 2.19 - The Jive

Printer-friendly version
sc2.jpg I'd spent the whole week living Sarah's life alone when I had a perfectly good friend sitting at home bored out of his mind. I was going to get Ethan off his parents' couch and into my car if it was the last thing I did. Calling him wasn't going to get me anywhere; he probably wouldn't answer anyway. But he couldn’t really ignore it when a #1 recording artist was ringing his doorbell.

Sarah Carerra
Chapter 2.19 - The Jive
by Megan Campbell
Copyright  ©2010 Megan Campbell
Released: December 6, 2010

Editor Note: The images used for this story were purchased and used under royalty-free license* from Istockphoto.com . ~Sephrena
Author Note: Please email me at AngelJediGirl (at) gmail (dot) com before posting this story to any other site. Posting to a pay site is prohibited.

Comments and suggestions are also welcome at the above email address.

*  *  *

Sarah Carerra Book 2: Summer Medley

Chapter 2.19 - The Jive

The next morning, I found myself standing in Sarah's closet once again. I'd been spending so much time as Sarah lately, that I had almost forgotten what my own closet looked like. I knew that we were packing a lot of Sarah time into this summer to help promote my career, but there were times I wished I could take a break and just learn how to be myself. I've been doing the Sarah thing nearly as long as I've been doing the Megan thing. I really, really wanted some time to get to know myself without the need to worry about how to be Sarah too. I almost wished that school would start so that I'd have more Megan time.

I berated myself instantly. Nobody wanted school to start! This summer was going by fast enough without jinxing myself like that! Before I knew it, I'd be sitting at my desk in Mrs. Carson's class wishing that I was on stage.

At least I had the weekend to look forward to - two glorious days of nothing but Megan. Sure, I'd have to contend with Mom's family, but they had taken the news pretty well at Aunt Judy's party. And I had Tracy and Katy on my side. Everything would turn out all right and we'd have lots of fun. We always did when we got together with the rest of the family.

But I still had one more appointment I had to keep as Sarah before I could take off the wig and enjoy myself. The Jive marketing people were supposed to be giving me a demonstration at Dad's office just before lunch. I'd also be receiving my own Jive to use if we accepted the deal. Sarah Carerra wouldn't be using her iPod anymore if she was endorsing the Jive. The thought of using something other than my iPod was just plain weird. I'd had an iPod of some sort since I was 11.

I quickly chose an outfit and started getting ready for the day. Dad had already left for his office, where he would meet me later after I drove down. Dad's offices were near our beach instead of being located in downtown Los Angeles. Most of his clients lived in the area, and it made for a shorter commute if they ever had to go to his office. Perhaps that was why he felt okay about letting me drive myself, because it was close to home.

I decided that I wasn't going to go alone when I started putting on my makeup. I'd spent the whole week living Sarah's life alone when I had a perfectly good friend sitting at home bored out of his mind. Emily had to work, but I vowed that I was going to get Ethan off his parents' couch and into my car if it was the last thing I did. I missed him, and that ended today.

When I stepped out of Sarah's room, I knew exactly what I needed to do. Calling him wasn't going to get me anywhere; he probably wouldn't answer anyway. But he couldn’t really ignore it when a #1 recording artist was ringing his doorbell. I knew for a fact that his little sister and his mother were at swimming lessons and his dad would be at work, so there shouldn't be anybody else there. It was a good plan.

"Hi, Austin," I said when I reached the end of the hall.

He was watching TV in the front room and didn't even look up. All I got from him was an uninterested "morning."

"Want to go down to Dad's office with me?" I asked him. "We're going to look at the Jive."

"No," he said. He seemed content to sit there and rot his brain for a while longer.

"Where's Mom?" I asked when it became apparent that he had no desire to join me.

"Aunt Judy picked her up a while ago," he replied. "I think they were going shopping."

"Oh, okay," I said. That sounded like fun. I hadn't had a chance to do much shopping with Mom since the first time she had taken me to the mall the day I had made the decision to live my life as Megan. I would have loved to have the chance to shop with her. But that wasn't in the cards today. Perhaps I could convince Ethan to swing by the mall for a while. "I'll be back after lunch if you want to go down to the beach or something," I told him. All I got was a shrug in return.

I headed for the garage and soon I had pulled out and was on my way down to Ethan's house. I pulled into his driveway, and looked around to see if anyone was nearby. I didn't see anyone, so I quickly got out and headed for the door. I rang the doorbell and stepped back to wait, nervously looking around. Many of the people on the block had seen me dressed as Sarah as Dad and I had come and gone. It was common knowledge on the street that Sarah was often at our house. But that didn't mean that I wanted to increase the chances of one of my neighbors coming up to talk to me. They might start to get suspicious if we started a conversation.

Thankfully, the door swung open quickly. The look on Ethan's face had me laughing instantly. He looked about as surprised to see me as I had been when I had kissed him.

"Hi," I said, trying to break the ice. He just stood there for a moment before he pulled the door open and stepped aside to let me in.

"What are you doing here?" he finally asked. "My mom and Cary could be home any minute."

I chuckled. He seemed to be worried, but I knew we were safe. "You know as well as I do that they won't be home for another hour. By that time we'll be long gone."

"Gone where?" he asked. He seemed hesitant as he considered the possibility of entering Sarah's world again. But that wasn't an option today.

"I've got a demonstration of a new MP3 player down at my dad's office," I told him. "And you're coming with me."

"No, I don't think so," he said immediately. Little did he know that an answer like that wasn't going to sway my mind!

"Well, I do," I said firmly. "Look, I know I goofed up at the concert. But that doesn't mean you have to avoid me. I'm not going to start making out with you, Ethan. We're just friends, and that means that we can still do things together. I know you've been sitting here bored all week. Emily told me she was sick of getting text messages from you while she was working. You need to get out of the house. Now go and get ready. We have to be there in half an hour."

He hovered on his feet, still holding onto the door handle. He was probably holding it because he had hoped that I would be leaving soon. I emphasized my point by walking to the small couch that was near the door and took a seat. I wasn't leaving until he was walking out the door with me.

Finally, he sighed and started walking toward the hall that would lead to his room. He didn't say anything. I knew he wasn't exactly happy about what I was doing, but I knew that it was something that I needed to do if we were going to get our friendship back on track.

Eventually, Ethan reappeared, dressed as Xander. I smiled at him and I was happy to see him smile back. That was the first sign that my plan might be working. We didn't say anything to each other as I led him back out to my car. But I saw his smile widen when he realized he'd finally get to ride in my car. I was just happy that I had gotten him out of the house. Anything else was just a bonus.

*  *  *

I pulled into the parking lot of Dad's office about 15 minutes later. It wasn't a long drive, but it seemed longer with the silence that had enveloped the two of us. I tried to start up a couple of conversations while we drove, but all I could pull out of Ethan were one syllable answers. I had really messed up this friendship.

It was with a small measure of relief that I stopped the car in one of the four parking stalls that my dad's company had reserved out front for clients. It felt nice to get some preferred treatment while visiting him here. Dad owned the company, and his employees were always nice to me when I was here with him, but there was always a feeling of intrusion when they talked to me.

Now that I was somewhat of a celebrity myself, I began to understand why. Dad had good employees. He, and in turn his company, had always prided themselves on providing their clients with privacy. I didn't know how many of his employees Dad had told about me. Knowing my dad, I hoped that none of his employees knew. Dad was in charge of all of my affairs, which meant that there probably weren't many who knew the truth about me. I just hoped that it stayed that way.

I walked to the front door with Ethan, or Xander, two steps behind me. I tried to wait for him to catch up to me, but he never did. I was starting to wonder what I needed to do to get my friend back. Everything I had tried so far hadn't seemed to make a difference.

Once we were inside the building things started to get weird for me. I knew most of Dad's employees. I'd spent enough time at his office over the years that I could remember each of their names. But some of them I knew pretty well.

Like Lucy. Lucy was the receptionist. She was one of the nicest ladies I'd ever met, and I'd spent many days with her in the reception area when I was younger, while I was waiting for Dad to finish a meeting before we could go down to the beach or whatever else was planned for the day. She was old, like in her fifties or something. But she was as kind to Austin and me as my mom was.

I had to catch myself when she looked up as we entered. I had almost greeted her by name, but Sarah had never met her. As a matter of fact, Megan hadn't met her either — only Brett had met Lucy. That last thought really depressed me. I hadn't been to Dad's office since my life had changed so drastically. I didn't doubt that she knew about Megan. Dad was only too happy to share that knowledge. However, I didn't know how much she knew about Sarah Carerra’s secret. She had been with Dad since the beginning, but that didn't mean he was going to tell her my secret.

The smile that spread across her face as I approached her desk told me that I didn't have anything to worry about, though. She did know who I was! The glint in her eye and the wink that she gave me only helped to reinforce that realization. I found myself smiling while quickly looking around the reception area. We were alone.

"Hi, Lucy," I said first. Her smile widened when I called her by name.

"Hi, Megan," she replied after her own glance around. "It's so nice to finally meet you. You are so beautiful!"

I felt myself blushing at her comment. I ached inside a bit every time someone new found out. But Lucy was someone I would never worry about leaking my secret. And to meet her like this for the first time, I was glad we didn't have that secret standing between us.

"Thank you," I replied. I wasn't sure what else to say, and she seemed to be staring at me like she couldn't believe her eyes. It was an awkward moment before I turned to see what had happened to Ethan. He was still standing by the door. I waved him forward. I wanted my friend back, but with the way he grudgingly stepped toward me, I wondered if it was worth all of this effort. He sure wasn't making it easy. Eventually, he made it next to me at the reception desk. "Lucy, this is one of my best friends, Xander."

She smiled at him. Neither Emily nor Ethan had ever come down to Dad's office with me, so there wasn't any way that she could make a connection with his real identity.

"Hello," Ethan said.

"It's nice to meet you," Lucy replied. Then she looked back at me. "Let me call your dad and let him know you are here."

"Okay," I replied. She picked up the phone, but before she got the chance to say anything, Dad appeared from the hallway that led to the offices.

"Oh good, you're here," he said and gave me a smile. Then he turned toward Ethan. "It's nice to see you again, Xander."

"Mr. Campbell," Ethan replied. He was a man of many words this morning. Not.

"Sarah, if you'll come on back, I'll introduce you to my team," Dad said to me. "The Jive guy should be here any minute."

I nodded, but I asked the question that I needed to have answered before I followed him. "How many people know?"

He didn't need any clarification about what I was asking. "Just Lucy," he said while glancing briefly at her. "I needed at least one person who could help me with confidential information, and I thought Lucy would be a good choice. Nobody else knows."

I nodded again, and he turned and started for the hallway. This time I followed after a small wave to Lucy.

Dad then walked me around his office, introducing me to the people whom I already knew. But it was completely different meeting them as a client. They were just as nice to me, but some of the concern they previously displayed when I was Brett wasn't there when I was Sarah.

Once I had been to each of the offices and Dad had introduced me, I found myself standing in front of 'The Wall'. I had spent a lot of time staring at 'The Wall' as a youngster. It was located in the small lounge that could be used by employees or clients for taking a break or waiting for an appointment. Small plaques adorned the entire area, each with a picture, a name, and a signature.

I'd stared at each and every one of them, amazed at some of the people whom my dad's company represented. And when he pointed out where my plaque had been placed, I smiled. Dad had been reserving a prominent area for a 'special' artist for as long as I could remember. He said that some day he would represent somebody whom he was so proud of that they would have the honor of having her or his picture displayed there.

That's where I found my plaque.

I felt tears start to creep into my eyes, and I sniffed quickly to hold them back. We were alone in the lounge except for Ethan, and before I knew it Dad had his arms wrapped around me. That made it even more difficult to keep the tears from spilling out.

"I'm so proud of you, Princess," he said quietly. I sobbed, but tried in vain to hold the tears back. I didn't want to have to fix my makeup.

I was lost for words for a moment. Eventually, my dad released me, and then handed me a permanent marker. I smiled at him, stepped over to the plaque, and signed my name.

*  *  *

I had to use the bathroom to fix my makeup before joining my dad and Ethan in the conference room. When I finally arrived, I found Dad, Ethan, and another guy sitting around the table.

"There she is," Dad said with a big smile. All three of them stood up, making me blush slightly. "Sarah, this is Michael Stott from the company that makes the Jive."

The man to whom he was pointing wasn't much younger than my dad, perhaps in his early thirties. He had blonde hair and a grin on his face that instantly put me at ease. He was dressed in a nice pair of tan slacks and a navy blue polo shirt.

"It's nice to meet you, Michael," I said while taking the hand that he had proffered to me.

"The pleasure is mine, Ms. Carerra," he replied. He had a firm handshake.

"Sarah, please," I corrected him. I always thought that Ms. Carerra made me sound old.

"Have a seat," Dad said and pointed to a chair between Ethan and himself. I noticed that Michael had been sitting in a chair on the other side of the table. I nodded and walked around to my chair and sat down. The guys did the same.

Michael didn't waste any time before starting his presentation. "We're honored that you are considering our offer, Sarah. I have a Jive here today that we want to present to you. It is yours to keep whether you endorse us or not."

He handed me a box about the size of a book. Emblazoned clearly on the front was the word 'Jive' followed by a picture of the device I had first seen on the endorsement papers. I happily accepted it from him. I wanted to open it up and start playing with it, but he had other ideas. Instead, he took fifteen minutes to show me how the Jive worked using another demo model that he had brought with him. I truly was impressed. It would be weird not using my iPod anymore, but I really liked what I was seeing.

After showing me what the device could do, he started talking to me about what they expected of me if I accepted the contract. Obviously, I was asked to use the device instead of any other music player. That condition would be easy to meet. It was the photo shoot and the commercial that they wanted to shoot in less than two weeks from now that made me cringe. I had spent the last two weeks in front of cameras and recording equipment getting ready for the album and the new music video. I knew that I was going to be in front of the camera again on Tuesday for the makeup endorsement. And sometime in the near future I would also be doing a photo shoot for the perfume I'd be endorsing if the meeting we had on Monday went well. That was a lot of time in front of the camera, and I was starting to wish that I could pull back from Sarah's life for a while. I needed a break. I hoped that this weekend would be enough.

In the end, though, I was ready to take the endorsement deal. The Jive appeared to be a cool device, and I was truly impressed with some of its features. However, Michael wanted me to take it home and use it over the weekend before making a final decision. Even though he was making me wait to give him my answer, I knew he felt confident I was going to say yes.

After Michael had left, I said goodbye to Dad and dragged Ethan back to my car. I'd had high hopes at the beginning of the day of reconciling our friendship. But at nearly every turn, Ethan tried to push me away instead of working to become closer. I had a feeling he was still struggling with his feelings about me, and I didn't know how to help him. I had my own issues to deal with when it came to him.

I was relieved after I dropped him off at his house and then drove home. I was going to need some help to get him out of his funk. I could see the friend I had known most of my life in his eyes. I knew he still wanted to be my friend. I wished there was something I could do to help him realize that we didn't have to be boyfriend/girlfriend in this relationship. I was fine just being his friend.

As I stepped into my house, I sighed. I'd wanted to go to the mall and see Emily and perhaps do some shopping. But I had failed to talk Ethan into going with me. Instead, I had a long afternoon and evening ahead of me with no plans to keep me occupied.

At least I had my new Jive to play with.

*  *  *

Chapter 20 - Beach Party
Coming Soon...
up
342 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Megan's Frustration (Lack of Feedback)

I am Megan Campbell’s editor of ‘Sarah Carerra’. For over a year, I have been blessed to be able to read drafts of the chapters. I have also been privileged because Megan has been sending 5-10 chapters to me at a time, so I can see more quickly how Sarah's life is unfolding.

I almost never go online to read the chapters or the comments. My goals are to offer suggestions to Megan, and to encourage her to continue to write.

Megan tells me that in an average week, there are 1,600 – 1,700 “hits”. I’m impressed with the number of fans she has!

Megan loves to write, but Megan is like all of us – she craves feedback. We like to be occasionally told that we’re doing a good job. But the feedback has dropped to well below 1%. Last week she received only 3 comments (less than two tenths of 1%), and she is very discouraged.

I don’t expect anyone to comment every week – that would be stupid of me and unfair to you. But I am asking that each of you consider posting a comment every month or so.
Megan is more than frustrated – she considering “taking a break” for a while, by ceasing both her writing and her posting. I hope that does not occur, because her writing talent is awesome, and I believe her potential is unlimited. We will all lose if she stops.

Thank you,

JP

I'm glad you posted this...

Andrea Lena's picture

...I find Megan to be a great author. My comments tend to be on the motherly side or reflect the counselor in me in that I am always more concerned about Megan the character and her development as a human being, which I feel is being played out so well in the story. I grow worried at times, caring about Megan the character as I do, when she is more involved with the music of Sarah rather than the music as performed by Megan or even the interaction of Megan and her family. This episode is a good example of how she (Megan the author) balances both worlds. I've followed this tale fromt he beginning, and it's really one of my favorites. Being prejudiced, I'd love to see what Mary her counselor has to say about all the pressures, and I know that Megan will write that eventually in a way that will satisfy my curiosity. As always, an excellent chapter by a terrific writer. Thank you!



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Feedback

I must admit I rarely leave comments on stories. I don't very often have anything constructive to say, but that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the story. I do frequently use the kudos button.

I think that Sarah Carrera is a very well written and obviously enjoyed story. I personally love reading this story and I hope it continues. Please keep up the good work Megan.

I have recently posted a series to this site myself so have been paying attention to the kudos and readership levels. My story only reached about two thirds of the hits and kudos as Megan's and I considered I was doing well to get that much. The number of comments do seem to drop down over time, unless you force the issue and ask specifically for comments. I suspect you will get plenty of feedback this time.

D.L.

Sad...

Well it is sad, that someone who so consistently writes such good stuff and nobody -- myself included -- seems to comment. :(

I can't answer for anyone else but for myself it is entirely down to not feeling the need to say good story after every chapter (I do hit the button). I tend to only comment when especially moved or have something specific to say.

So... um... Great story... :/

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja

Please keep writing this story Megan!!!

I just wanted to say that I been reading and enjoying this story from the very first chapter! so please keep writing Megan !!!

Sarah Carerra - 2.19 - The Jive

Me, I read, and comment every time. I think that Ethan still sees Brett when he looks at Megan. Once he sees Megan, he might just become HER best friend. He might need to have Emily scold him about how he is hurting Megan.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

On the Money

I think you hit it just right. I don't follow the story like I use
to but things change. All it takes is an honest comment, or your
honest opinion and you got an E-mail from some "prima donna" wanting
to know why you contradicted her/his opinion. There are people out there
who believe they are the only one's entitled to an opinion. So I believe
if there is a drop in comments it is the result of some people thinking
it is not worth the effort. I use to comment a lot at one time but I
feel it is no longer worth the effort. But you Stanman bring joy to
all the authors of BCTS because no matter how humble our effort is you
are there to offer a comment and that does a lot for a person.

Getting back to the subject of Ethan and Megan. You have a good friend
that is a boy who starts living as Megan and you support the effort
because he is your friend. He becomes Sarah, a beautiful talented
women, and while you understood your feelings for Megan the feelings
for Sarah are hard on you. Because something has happened,you now
have romantic feelings, and you feel you are betraying your friend by
viewing her in a romantic and lustful manner. Your right, Ethan is
dealing with his feelings, feelings that involve a friendship that
was at a different level. His feelings for Sarah may make him feel he
is betraying a friend, and worse yet, if he accepts those
romantic feelings and is later not accepted as her boyfriend he
will feel betrayed. It is hard on both of them if Sarah has
strong feelings for Ethan. What she needs to do is stop being his friend
and start being his girlfriend by telling him how she truly feels. I think
she is fooling herself and Ethan if she has strong feelings for Ethan then
tells herself she is willing to accept only friendship.

Kudo

S.L.Hawke's picture

I don't really have much to say... other than that this series is the highlight of my Monday mornings. Keep up the good work!

Keeping in mind...

Andrea Lena's picture

...the time frame from when Brett discovers he's really Megan to the present chapter, Ethan has to deal with 1) discovering that his best friend is a girl; 2) discovering that his best friend is a celebrity; 3) having understandable feelings of grief over the loss of his best friend - yes...Megan may be the same person, but she's quite different in personality and obvious presentation than Brett; 4) conflicting feelings of attraction and feelings of betraying the memory of Megan's former self, perhaps; 5) the very real lack of availability of Megan as her career as Sarah has her involved so much with music and concerts and recordings, etc.

Now,read what Megan says to herself...
I could see the friend I had known most of my life in his eyes. I knew he still wanted to be my friend. I wished there was something I could do to help him realize that we didn't have to be boyfriend/girlfriend in this relationship. I was fine just being his friend.

There is something she can do, but she has to resolve to set aside the time, and resolve to do it: She needs to talk directly to him and say to him exactly what she just expressed...He needs to hear from her how she feels and thinks about their relationship as friends; no one is at fault or to blame and no one needs to be scolded. Megan may have unrealistic expectations about their relationship; perhaps because she has always thought and believed and emoted as a girl, even if she was raised into her teenage years as a boy. Ethan is concrete in his thinking and needs to hear from her alone about their relationship. Perhaps with Emily there for support for both of them, but Megan needs to reach out to Ethan to reassure him that everything is okay, no matter how their friendship is finally expressed.



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

The one problem that has no remedy..."Comments"

People do comment on stories, but rarely do they keep commenting. Megan has had comments left for each and every chapter she has posted! Not many authors get this attention. My longer series have more than a few chapters without any comments left for them at all.

Many commenters comment on the story and the writing, but not for each chapter. How many times and ways can one say "Great story, great writing?"

Sadly, many read and never comment at all, but at least we now have a "Kudos" button to click on! She should be happy with how many readers are clicking on that button praising her for her writing.

Comments ALWAYS dwindle for the longer series, they always have and they always will! That does not mean the readers are finding the story less entertaining or enjoyable. What it does mean is that most of the readers believe that everything has been said before in the prior comments left for the story.

Keep your head up Megan! This IS one of the great stories and will be a classic one day to be read and reread by many!

I for one save each and every chapter to my hard drive in a folder labeled "Megan-must be read"

Huggles and fine editing you do so here is a kudos for you editor in chief!
Angel

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

Thank you

Greetings

Thank you for the new chapter about Sarah.

Brian

I've read.......

KevSkegRed's picture

.......every chapter and rarely comment, I always hit the kudos button though, I look forward to monday evening for the simple fact, I know Sarah will be waiting for me when I get home from work. I love this story, I've told you that before and I'm now telling you again Megan. Keep up the good work.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

It's not easy being a girl.

Let's see, Megan was in a car accident and lost her bits, but later they found out that she had been intersexed and had like her own girl bits? Is that right? Ethan may just be gone for good. Guys are weak like that; so much rides on their image and machismo; he may not want to risk it. Here is hoping that Megan will make more friends at school, or meet someone nice on the beach, or in a Music store, or at MacDonalds flipping burgers?

She's genetically female, so there should not be that hidden vulnerability that T folk feel.

Much peace

Khadijah

comments

I often find that the "Good story Button does not work for me, and I am not comfortable leaving comments ( with my being a still very closeted TG person myself, if an openly pro LGBT one). The "Sara Carrera" series has had me hooked from the first Paragraph, so Please PLEASE do not stop writing and sharing this AMAZEING talent. I only wish Sarah was real and that she could have a UK venue or 2 on her tour!

The Jive & friends

Renee_Heart2's picture

Well at least things are on track for Sarha She has a spot of Honer in her dad's office & this is something. I'm glad the meeting with the Jive people went well. Eathin on the other hand I know he has mixed feelings but he needs to take a big step back & relize what he is doning to Megan his friend she is trying everything in her power to patch things up but he keeps pushing her away.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Popularity

First up, a comment on the episode. Megan's certainly having a hectic time as Sarah, with all the photo shoots, video productions, product endorsements and TV interviews! Depending on the distance between locations on her tour, she may be able to get some rest and relaxation (although nowhere near enough "me" time). Although obviously Sarah time will diminish when she returns to school, hopefully she can fit in a few days / weekends here and there between now and then to spend purely as Megan. Besides which, she needs "Megan time" not only for her sake but for the sake of maintaining her friendships with Emily and (especially) Ethan.

-oOo-

Now, onto the popularity issue. Being a bit of a statistics freak, I've looked at the current kudos and comments for the past ten episodes:

2.10 - 78 kudos, 10 comments
2.11 - 86 kudos, 20 comments
2.12 - 98 kudos, 11 comments
2.13 - 106 kudos, 40 comments (the new car episode)
2.14 - 110 kudos, 10 comments
2.15 - 105 kudos, 17 comments
2.16 - 96 kudos, 12 comments
2.17 - 99 kudos, 8 comments
2.18 - 100 kudos, 3 comments
2.19 - 48 kudos, 9 comments 58 kudos, 14 comments by the time I'd finished writing this one!

So you're currently averaging about 100 kudos and 10 comments per episode. That's not bad - in fact, it's pretty darn good! Just because the number of comments dips slightly one week, it doesn't necessarily mean people are losing interest! Take this episode for instance - the extra volume of comments is at least partially because of the comment about popularity, but if you look at kudos, 48 kudos in the first 7 hours of posting is a pretty decent figure! Bear in mind that unlike the original voting system (1 vote for readers, 2 votes for authors, 4 votes for admin), kudos works on a strict one account, one vote basis - so represents the minimum number of people who read it and liked it. The view count is only really useful as a traffic indicator - if you visit the page, it increments by one. Hit refresh, it increments again. That's one way in which the view count for previous episodes will increase without the kudos / comments increasing as well - people referring back to it from a more recent episode.

Additionally, comments tend to operate by a positive feedback mechanism - someone posts an interesting comment, and a few others are motivated to reply. Some of those replies will be in themselves interesting enough to generate further replies, and those further replies may provoke yet more replies, and so on...
The classic example of this was the new car episode, which reached a staggering forty comments!

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Thank you!

First, I want to start by thanking everyone that posted today. I had an inkling that my editor was going to post this after I vented some of my frustrations to him, and I hoped that it wasn't taken the wrong way. I don't think it has been.

I have truly been blessed with amazing fans and, as has been pointed out, amazing numbers when it comes to the story. I don't want anyone to think that I'm ungrateful if you don't comment. That is purely untrue. I see the kudos each week and I watch the hit count. I know that the popularity of this story hasn't dipped at all. I appreciate and cherish every single one of you for reading this story.

I wanted to take a moment and comment on my thoughts and why I was frustrated to help clear the air a bit. There has been a gradual decline over the last two months in comments. Like others have stated, that is to be expected on a continuing story like this. However, there are two things about this decline that led to my frustration.

First, this second book in the series is all about getting to know Sarah. The first book was an awakening, and the third book will be about getting to know Megan. But this part had to be told before I could look at who Megan is as a person. Unfortunately, most of the people that Sarah works with has no idea she is anyone else. This leads to very few opportunities for TG related material. Which leads me to my worry: Sarah Carerra is not a transgendered book, but is a book with a transgendered sub-plot. That is how I've written it, and it worries me that I may veer away from the target audience on this site. With the declining number in comments, I was mildly worried that this was occurring.

Second, and more frustrating to me, was the selfish nature of comments when read by an author. Someday I hope to publish Sarah Carerra through a publication company or through self-publishing. I would like to see it make some money. But until that time, I am content to be paid in feedback and comments and kudos. When I get depressed, I like to read through the comments and they always give me a boost in self-confidence. The last couple of months have not been the best months in my life, and having a smaller number of comments on the chapters didn't help.

Please know that I am not asking you to post a comment every week. Like my editor said, that would not be fair to you and I wouldn't want people to feel that was the case. I too have not commented on all the stories and chapters I've read, and I have first-hand experience on how uplifting that can be for an author.

Please don't think I was berating my readers or other authors on the site by wanting more. Everyone wants more, and I'm no exception. I'll be the first to admit that I am addicted to feedback, good or bad. I do know how blessed I am to be able to write a story that has such a great fan base, and I want you to know that I couldn't do it without you.

My sincere apology goes out to anyone that may have been offended by what happened today. I'm truly honored to have the opportunity to share this story with all of you and I hope that you can continue to enjoy it for as long as I continue to write it. When it ends, I hope I have something to take its place if your heart so desires. And if you ever want to leave a comment, even if it just says "Good Job" or "I didn't like it" then I will humbly be grateful. But if all you want to do is hit the Kudos button or navigate away from the page, I understand that too.

I thank you all sincerely,
Megan Campbell

To follow up with what we discussed in a PM

Andrea Lena's picture

...this story has a great plot, with intrigue and adventure coupled with wonderful characters, making for a compelling tale. I would love to see this sitting on a shelf in the Youth section of Barnes and Noble or offered as an E-Book for so many more to enjoy. This story has captured the imagination and hearts of so many here, and it has a huge appeal that could go far beyond the great support you have here. I look forward to great reports!



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Gotta love those comments

Gotta love those comments, the addictive little buggers.

I’ve loved this story form the first episode and am not only impressed that Megan works 5 or more parts ahead but rather jealous too. I wish I had her talent and discipline. Megan is a true talent and I agree whole heartedly that this story will be a classic.

I too was surprised by how few comments were left after the last episode and could only explain it by the holidays limiting everyone’s time to leave one. I know that that’s a failing of mine, I use the kudos button whenever I find a story I enjoy, but given time constraints, I don’t always have time to leave a comment. Given the number of Kudos, that's my guess. You’d think I’d be better at leaving comments as I absolutely can’t wait to read the latest comment left on one of mine and am disappointed when there isn’t one.

Now on to the story. First Megan/Sarah needs some time off to be just Megan. That will also defiantly give her the opportunity to corner Ethan and get their relationship resolved. Ethan needs to realize that his actions are hurting Megan and they need to resolve whatever is going on. If he doesn’t do that, he could end up losing a great friend, something, I don’t think, either one of them will want to see happen. Common Ethan, snap out of it! You know you want to.

Keep up the great work Megan. You make Mondays so much brighter. If you need to take a break, do it because you need it and not because of a slump in comments. If you take one, rest assured that I and many, many others will be here waiting to see what happens next in your great stories.

Luv and Hugs,

Connie

I would like to believe that

I would like to believe that Ethan and even Emily, would be allowed to get the "JIVE" also, just because they are very, very close friends of Sarah's and that friendship could be used in ads and commericals. This could also have the effect of bringing Ethan out of his personal funk over Megan/Sarah, as it would show him that she still wants and needs him as one of her best friends. Jan

re:story

wow megan, you brought in the comments today. im reading this late monday. im a little behind on stories today. this is a wonderful story. i hope to see many more chapters. keep[ up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

The first thing that I read.....

Megan,
Sorry that you've felt "stiffed" due to the lack of comments on your stories. Like others here, I tend to drop my commenting when a series is well established. "Sarah" falls into that group, unfortunately.

However, I want you to know if I see a new chapter that's been posted, it's absolutely the first thing that I read (before I continue to the other stories).

I want to encourage you about publishing Sarah's stories as a book, or as a series of books. The quality of your writing is more than good enough to be accepted as a work for young people. I think that young people would benefit so much from the story, it's hard to imagine that any publisher wouldn't be impressed enough to publish your work.

I just want to wish you the best. Merry Christmas.

Elizabeth Marie

Bossy girl! :D

I had this image when Sarah confronted Ethan of this fashionable confident blonde on the porch having a confident look and smile, arms crossed at the chest, and slightly tapping her right foot as an emphasis of having limited time and patience. :)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Sarah is an excellent story

that captivates a lot of people. I for one don't really tend to leave comments unless there is something in the story that I think could use changing and I feel compelled to say so to the author. Look at it as no news is good news.

Megan, I love your story

and I don't particularly care that we have passed out of the TG zone. We care about Sarah/Megan and Ethan and Emily, etc. And we care about you. No, we don't know you personally, but we know what you write. And what you write is special. The great problem with us readers is that we have become used to your ability and the great story that you are writing and we...ahem, have begun taking you for granted!

So we will try to do better, and remember that a writer working for less than peanuts needs a different currency to survive. Please do continue. We love this story and I for one would be ever so sorry if you gave up because of our thoughtlessness.

SuZie

SuZie

Eleven years later

I read this when it first came out. It is good enough that I've come back to reread from the very beginning. So my comments now aren't likely to mean much. I've also changed over the years, so my opinions regarding the characters as people are a bit more pronounced these days. But that in no way reflect on the writing of this story, which is just as good a read as when it was first posted.

So my comments about Ethan are him as a real person, not a reflection of the writing of him as a story character. Frankly, he is nothing but a dead weight to Megan. The general consensus is that Megan has to adapt, change herself to be more acceptable to Ethan. It seems to me that Megan is always the one that has had to change to be acceptable to her "so-called" friends. Time for that shit to stop! She has gone more than halfway to be acceptable to Ethan. If he isn't happy with all her efforts, then she should dump him at the side of the road, "This free ride is over. Grow up or get out." A one-way friendship is no friendship. It isn't even a truce.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin