Sarah Carerra - 2.41 - The Mid-State Fair

Printer-friendly version
sc2.jpg Each step toward the stage brought the level of the rush I had been feeling all day closer and closer to the storm that I knew was coming. Each step closer provided me with a louder and louder roar from the crowd.

Sarah Carerra
Chapter 2.41 - The Mid-State Fair
by Megan Campbell
Copyright  ©2011 Megan Campbell
Released: June 20, 2011

Editor Note: The images used for this story were purchased and used under royalty-free license* from iStockphoto.com . ~Sephrena
Author Note: Please email me at AngelJediGirl (at) gmail (dot) com before posting this story to any other site. Posting to a pay site is prohibited.

Comments and suggestions are also welcome at the above email address.

*  *  *

Sarah Carerra Book 2: Summer Medley

Chapter 2.41 - The Mid-State Fair

I woke up the next morning already feeling a slight buzz of excitement. The last day of July would also be the first day of my debut concert tour. I still couldn't believe how much my life had changed this summer!

After taking a shower and getting dressed in one of Sarah's outfits, I made my way to the kitchen where a very familiar smell was wafting through the air. Mom had apparently decided to return the present I had given her yesterday and had made me a big breakfast to celebrate my first concert. I was very appreciative, if the amount of food I ate was any indication. Then I grabbed my guitar from Sarah's room and made my way out to Dad's car where the rest of my family was already waiting for me.

I had hoped that Ethan or Emily would be travelling with us today, but both had other commitments. Emily had to work, which she was starting to get tired of, especially because it was keeping her from a concert. At least she had asked for time off so that she could go to the OC Fair concert. Ethan had gone to his uncle's house for the weekend with his family. He had failed to convince them to drive the additional two hours to the fair for my concert, mostly because his family didn't know the truth about me and they already had tickets to the OC Fair too. He told me that his Mom just thought he wanted to see his crush in concert more than once. I'd laughed heartily at that statement.

The drive to the parking lot where the bus was parked didn't take very long. There was another small crowd looking at the bus when we arrived. I figured that it was parked where it was for both marketing purposes and as a place to store it when it wasn't in use. The same security guard greeted us and let us into the parking lot. The first thing I noticed was that all of the other buses had left. Dad parked his car near my bus, and we all got out.

I waved at the few people who were looking at the bus when we pulled up, but Dad wouldn't let me sign any autographs. Apparently we had a schedule to keep. Instead I grabbed my guitar out of the trunk and stepped onto the bus. Dad said that it was going to be nearly a four hour drive up the coast, but having a comfortable place to spend that time like the bus would make it a lot more bearable.

Eddie was waiting for us in the driver's seat, and I greeted him warmly. I stepped into the bus proper and I found Amy waiting with Cole. Mason had apparently already gone ahead to set up security, but they wanted to have at least one of them with me all day today.

The drive up was long, but it wasn't too bad. Dad had decided to take the scenic route, and soon we were traveling up the 101. We watched a movie on the big TV above the fireplace and played some games to help pass the time. I even enjoyed looking out the window and watching the reactions of people in the cars that passed us. Many of them waved and hoped for a glimpse of me, but I knew the windows were too dark for them to see me inside. I waved back anyway.

But even more importantly, I finally got to press the button to turn on the fireplace. It was really cool to see the flames dancing around as we drove, and I could even turn off the heat if I wanted to. That was really cool!

It was shortly after noon when the bus pulled off the highway and slowly started to make its way toward the fairgrounds in Paso Robles. They were just off the 101, and we made a full loop around the fairgrounds to get to the backstage area.

The backstage area was between the stage and a camping area full of campers. As Eddie pulled the bus down the small street that led to the area where he was told to park, I saw the few people around stop what they were doing and watch as we passed.

Soon Eddie parked the bus in its designated area near the other buses that had already arrived. The area was situated where everyone could see it, yet it would still provide me easy access between the backstage area and the bus.

When I stepped off the bus, I immediately noticed how hot it was. I hadn't expected it to be hotter here than in LA, but it was. I gave a silent prayer of thanks to Julia for selecting a wardrobe that would keep me cool while performing in this venue. I was also glad for the shorts and lightweight top that I had chosen to wear this morning.

The next thing I noticed was Rosemary standing there waiting for me.

"Sarah," Rosemary greeted me warmly. "I trust your trip up was okay?"

"Yes," I replied. "That bus is amazing."

"Good," she said with a chuckle at my enthusiasm. "We're almost ready for your sound check. The band is setting up their equipment now."

"Okay," I said and let her lead me toward the stage. Having the bus was already proving to be a lifesaver, because I didn't feel like I'd been cramped in a car for the four hour drive. I actually felt pretty good to be stepping out of the long drive and going straight to work.

The first thing that struck me as I stepped up onto the stage was just how many seats there were staring at the stage. I knew that this was one of the bigger venues I would be playing at on the tour, but it still amazed me to see the 14,000 empty seats that swarmed the area between the stage and the grandstands on the opposite side! That was double what had been at my first concert if the lawn wasn’t included. The Staples Center was much bigger, but it had been dark enough in there that I never really got a good impression of the seats around the swirl of emotions that Josh had put me through. The only venues that would be larger than this one were the Indiana State Fair and the Gorge Amphitheatre at the end.

The band was still assembling their equipment. After I greeted them, I opened my guitar case and pulled out my own baby and then I plugged it into the system where I was directed to. Then we proceeded to go through the sound check with only a few workers finishing the setup of the venue as an audience.

It was slightly surreal to realize that I would be playing to a large crowd once again. I'd had a small rush surging throughout my body since I'd left the bus, and I couldn't wait to feel it explode inside of me when the crowd was sitting in front of me.

It was going to be a good day.

*  *  *

After the sound check, the band and I headed back to the buses to escape the heat until we were needed again. They gave me a tour of their bus, and I was surprised at how small it seemed. It was the same model bus as mine, but the interior felt more cramped. I definitely got the better end of the deal with my own bus, a feeling that I knew they had when I took them on a tour of mine.

The band and I collapsed on the chairs and couches at the front of my bus while the rest of my family went to take in the fair. I really wanted to join them, but I now had to cram a bunch of the interviews and other obligations that I would have normally done this morning into the time we had before the show. We hadn't come up the night before because we wanted to spend time at home for Mom's birthday, but now I was paying the price for it.

I didn't get to spend much time with the band before Amy came to get me. The interviews and other media appearances fell under Amy’s jurisdiction. So Amy, who was essentially my manager now, got the honor of ordering me around much the way Dad had done for most of the summer. Officially Dad was still my agent and manager, but I knew that he had delegated much of the work to her, and that she was being compensated well for it. Truthfully, I was happy to have her on board because it was a lot easier to say no to her.

After the interviews and photo shoots were completed in a small backstage area, I was almost ready for a nap. It was only 4:30 in the afternoon, and I still had three hours before the opening act took the stage before my own concert. The media could certainly be draining.

I made my way back to the bus. Mason had one of his security guys watching it, and I found the bus empty when I stepped inside. With no more responsibilities before my concert I was once again tempted to take off my wig and find my family, but I knew that was not a good idea. Instead I went back to the bedroom and laid down on the bed while turning on the TV.

*  *  *

"Sarah," I heard and then someone was shaking me lightly. I started and my eyes flew open.

Amy was standing next to the bed, where I had apparently drifted off. She picked up the remote to the TV and turned it off while I shook the cobwebs out of my head. I knew that the interviews and photo opportunities had left me feeling slightly drained, but I never expected to fall asleep! The only good thing was that the short nap hadn't left me feeling groggy, and instead left me feeling energized. When I swung my legs off the bed, I could tell that Amy was smiling at the confusion that waking up had invoked in me.

"I hadn't meant to fall asleep, but that certainly was refreshing," I told her, eliciting a short chuckle from her.

"I'm sorry to awaken you," she replied a moment later. "But you have some guests waiting."

I nodded and stood up before walking over to the mirror and making sure that I looked okay. Stephanie would be here later to do my makeup for the concert, but I still looked presentable. I ran my fingers through the wig quickly to even it out a bit from where I had been resting my head on the pillow, but otherwise felt that I looked okay.

"Who is it?" I asked her.

"A few fans who have All-Access passes," Amy replied. "They're waiting in the front of the bus."

I nodded again and then turned toward the door. Soon I had a large smile on my face at the sight of the two women and the young girl who were waiting for me.

"Dr. Holbrook!" I greeted her excitedly while walking the rest of the way and giving her a short hug. I had forgotten that I had asked Dad to get her tickets for tonight's concert!

"Hi, Sarah," she said with a smile after we had let go of each other. "It's nice to see you again. And please, call me Jenny."

I returned her smile before turning to the bundle of joy who had her arms wrapped tightly around my waist. "And this must be your granddaughter," I said while looking at the young angel who was staring up at me in awe. She looked like she was about 7 or 8, and had the cutest little face with big, wide eyes. I knew immediately that she was one of my "special" fans. She held on tightly until I bent down to her eye level. "What's your name?"

"Bethany," the girl replied. She looked like it was Christmas morning and she had just seen all of the presents sitting under the tree.

"It's nice to meet you, Bethany," I told her before standing back up and turning toward the only person on the bus I still didn't know.

"This is my daughter Andrea," Jenny said by way of invitation. Andrea held out her hand and I took it and smiled at her.

"It's nice to meet you too, Andrea," I told her while shaking her hand. Then I gestured toward the couch that they had been sitting on. "Please, have a seat." I did the same and took a seat on one of the chairs facing the couch. "Have you been enjoying the fair so far?"

"We come every year," Andrea said. "But today has been extra special. Bethany has never been so excited, and I'm sure she is in heaven meeting you."

I smiled at the young girl once again, and her face broke out in another large smile. She was slightly embarrassed at the attention, but I knew her mother's words were true.

I talked with the three of them for quite a while. I would have played them a song, but I wasn't entirely sure where my guitar was. It had been given to one of the sound techs for safekeeping until the concert, and I hoped that it was still okay.

I could have spent all day with Dr. Holbrook and her family. They were really nice people, and I was super glad that I'd had Dad get tickets for them. But eventually Amy had to interrupt us.

"Sarah," she said from where she had been sitting and talking with us on the other chair. "I hate to interrupt, but you have a few people you need to meet before they go on stage, and time is running out."

"Okay," I said before turning back to my guests while standing up. "I'm sorry we have to cut this short, but before you go, I have something for Bethany. Come on back."

I then led them back to the bedroom where I went straight to one of the drawers in the small dresser. I entered the small code that Dad had given me into the small keypad and pulled open the drawer to reveal a number of items that I could give away to fans, including what Dad and Amy had now officially dubbed the "Carerra Bears".

When Bethany first caught sight of the soft pink bear that had my signature stitched on its tummy, her face took on the same excitement that she had first shown when she saw me. I smiled and then crouched down until I was on my knees and at her eye level once again.

"This is a Carerra Bear," I told her while letting her take it from me. She hugged it to her chest immediately. "My dad gave me one just like this, but bigger, when I was younger. Whenever I feel scared or sad I hug it really hard until everything is okay again. You can't buy these in stores, and this is only the second one I've given out. It means that you are one of my special fans. I want you to remember that you can do anything in the world, and if you ever feel you can't, just hug the bear until you can, okay?"

She nodded enthusiastically before wrapping her arms around my neck in a big hug. I squeezed her back.

"Thank you," Andrea said softly after we had parted. I nodded, and then we walked back toward the front of the bus. I was sad to see them go, but I knew I would be able to see them from the stage later. It was fans like Bethany who made this so much fun.

*  *  *

The members of 'Poptacular' appeared to be really happy at the size of their dressing room. I knew that the big tent had originally been designated for my use for the day before Dad had elected to have me use the bus instead. I didn't fault his decision. The room was nice and comfortable, but it couldn't compare with the thought and design that had gone into my tour bus.

I had not previously met the people who would be opening for me for most of the tour. They looked excited to meet me though. None of them displayed the same enthusiasm that Bethany had, but it was obvious they were excited to be touring with me.

Poptacular consisted of a brother and sister vocal team that sounded really good together. The four piece band that backed them up was also quite good. They had been gaining in popularity over the last year and I knew that Scott hoped to push their album sales even higher by having them open for me. It seemed so weird to be popular enough to have someone riding MY coattails. After all, I didn't even have a contract myself three months ago.

I spent some time getting to know them before they had to head for the stage. Then I returned to my own bus once again. At least this time my family had returned and it wasn't just Amy and me hanging out together. We played a few card games and just had fun while I waited to be called to the stage with the music of Poptacular as a backdrop. Of all the concerts I had performed to date, the wait for this one to start definitely had been the best.

Soon Stephanie showed up to get me ready, and not long after that Rosemary appeared to escort me to the stage. Darkness was quickly falling as I followed her through the maze that led to the stage. I once again admired Julia's ability to dress me. At first look, the pale yellow dress I was wearing was gorgeous, and seemed to fit in with the whole "country" theme that most fairs usually had despite their locations. Yet the sparkles that glittered as I moved around proved that I had the glam portion covered as well. My favorite part, however, was how cool it felt on me. Even in the shorts and top I had been wearing all day I had felt hot, but the dress had some way of letting the cool breeze brush across my body as I walked. Even though the sun's light had already faded well below the horizon, there was still plenty of heat to keep me warm. The next time I saw Julia, I would make sure that I would thank her for doing her homework on what the weather would be like at each venue.

Each step toward the stage brought the level of the rush I had been feeling all day closer and closer to the storm that I knew was coming. Each step closer provided me with a louder and louder roar from the crowd. The crowd here would be comparable to the crowd in Salt Lake, and the background noise of that many people talking and passing time until the beginning of the show was just as noisy. In Salt Lake it had made me really nervous and scared to take the stage, but today all it did was pump me up and get me more and more excited.

The band was waiting for me just off stage, and they looked nearly as excited as I felt as I approached them. I was also happy to see Amy standing nearby with the package I had asked her to retrieve.

"Are you guys ready?" I asked them. Choruses of excitement were returned, and I saw the fire in their eyes that I knew was already shining in my own. I then turned to Amy who handed me the box.

"What's the box for?" Sophie asked curiously.

I smiled. "I've told you guys about the Carerra Bears, right?" I asked them. They shook their heads, which surprised me. I thought I had told them. I opened the box and pulled out a large bear that was a replica of the one I had at home. This one was slightly different because it had my signature embroidered on it like the bears I had given to the two little girls already. But even more importantly, it also had the signatures of every single band member embroidered next to mine.

I got a couple of curious looks as I passed the bear around so each of them could get a closer look. They knew immediately that it held some significance, but it was also obvious that they didn't know what that significance was.

"I was in a really bad car accident when I was 10," I told them. "I was in the hospital for a while. My dad gave me a bear just like this one while I was there. Since then I have always hugged it tightly when life got hard. I've hugged it when I needed to find comfort. And I've hugged it for good luck before big events in my life."

I reached out for the bear and Stacy handed it back to me. "This is the band's Carerra Bear," I told them. "It will be kept in a display case on my bus if you guys ever want to see or hold it. I had it made to help give us luck and to help us succeed whenever we go on stage."

I closed my eyes and hugged the bear to my chest as tightly as I could for a moment, imagining having an amazing performance. When I opened my eyes the band was looking at me, and I could see the understanding in their eyes. I passed the bear to Sophie, and she hugged the bear tightly to her chest for a moment before passing it to Holly, who passed it to Jason, to Connor, and eventually to Stacy before he handed it back to me.

I then held the bear out in front of me at arm's length, and each of them reached out and placed one of their hands somewhere on the bear. I mouthed a few words at them, and when everyone understood what to do, we spoke.

"Let's get this party started!" we yelled before we all broke out in laughter at the absurdity of what we were doing.

"You are such a little girl," Sophie told me, causing me to laugh even harder. I continued to laugh as they headed for the stage to take their places.

I handed the bear to Amy and then looked at Rosemary for my cue. She nodded at me, and I started for the stage. The music from the intro video started playing, designed to create anticipation. The crowd started to roar. I was immediately blown away by the noise! I had never felt that much power and noise directed my way before!

The big screen at the back of the stage provided the light I needed to walk to my designated spot. It also kept the venue dark enough so that the audience couldn’t see me. The crowd roared even louder as words started flying across the top of the screen, and I heard my voice ask "Are you ready to have some fun?" while a countdown appeared on the screen. I only had seconds to get into position.

Over the roar of the crowd I could vaguely hear the countdown start at 10. When it reached 8 on the screen, I heard a second countdown start at 10 in my earpiece. I took a deep breath, trying to control the burning fire that was already raging throughout my body, fueled by the noise coming from the crowd. The two seconds between when the large countdown ended and my own came to a conclusion were almost surreal. I closed my eyes and basked in the roar of the crowd.

Then the loud boom of Stacy's drums and Connor's bass blared throughout the entire venue for a moment before Jason joined in with his own riff. They continued playing in the dark for a moment before light burst forth onto the stage and from the large screen behind me as I started singing 'I Just Wanna Have Fun' for the crowd. Two seconds later I was already moving to the well-rehearsed choreography that Kate had drilled into my head over the last two weeks.

I didn't believe it was possible, but the roar of the crowd increased again as they got their first glimpse of me. While I continued to sing the high-energy song, some of the screaming died down as the crowd settled in to listen to the show. But the fire inside me never left because the rush continued to grow as I performed.

Then the most amazing thing happened. The crowd’s roar started to change, and I almost stopped singing in surprise as they started singing along with me! They were having just about as much fun as I was!

I continued to sing and dance for them, mesmerized at how everyone seemed to know the song. 14,000 fans singing along with me was something I never expected to have happen, but it was one of the coolest things I had ever experienced!

When the last big boom of the band's instruments marked the end of the song, there was a moment of pure silence before the crowd roared again, fueling the fire that was burning within my veins even more. I basked in the heat for a moment while I waited for them to calm down enough for me to speak. Eventually it was quiet enough to continue.

"Are you having fun yet?" I yelled into my microphone, the same white one that Dad had given me at my first concert. The crowd roared to show me that they were.

"Do you want to have more?" I yelled after they had started to die down. They roared again.

Their screams proved they wanted to have more fun, so that's what I gave them. I did all I could to give them the best performance possible. I knew I was pushing my limits when I was breathing heavily during the few "rest" periods where I had to change my outfit, if that could be called rest.

By the time I climbed into my bed in the back of the bus it was well past midnight. I was so exhausted that I wondered if my family would even be able to wake me after the four hour trip back home. But the response from the fans during the concert and afterward backstage had shown me that it had been well worth the effort.

The last thing I remembered as the bus started to pull onto the highway and my eyes drifted closed was that I couldn't wait for Tuesday, when I'd get to do it all over again.

*  *  *

Chapter 42 - Paramount Theatre
Coming Soon...

*  *  *

Want more Sarah Carerra?
Hear the song that inspired this piece of the concert at sarahcarerra.com

up
308 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sarah Carerra - 2.41 - The Mid-State Fair

Carerra Bears are so wonderful.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

tour kick off

sounds like she definitely kicked off her tour on a high note.
great chapter, thanks

Powerful music

I like it!

Martina

Been there, done that!

As someone who's been performing on stage since 1973(!), I've always known when the first gig of a concert series is a good one, then those feelings will make up for the days when a gig will be nothing but headaches: flat tire, broken string, broken drum head, bad weather, dead battery in the microphone, etc.

Megan, I know you want to have Sarah's first tour go well, but please add in those minor goofs and such to make it seem more realistic.

Let's not forget that she's going to have fans rush the stage, and possibly have another stalker on her hands, too.

On a brighter note, the idea of the Carrera Bear for the band, as well as the little ones are a great idea! Please just make sure those little fans who get one don't have them stolen by bigger, jealous fans.

I worried about that too

but as she is very careful on when and where she gives out the bears the risk is low, for now.

As to glitches and things that go bump in the night. A flat tire on the bus. Someone gets food poisoning or the flu. A slip on stage from spilled beer or rain or whatever and one of the band ends up with a broken arm or sprain. Sarah is a big risk for that due to her dancing.

But this is a fairly big name show now so I would hope her crew is super prepared with their own floor squeegees, mops, water removing shop vacs, high velocity drying fans, lots of spares for the sound system and so on etc.

I assume she has good security even she does not know about. Drunks or worse, even well meaning fans rushing the stage is dangerous both for fans -- getting trampled in a panic -- or for the star.

RAIN!!!! Uncomfortable for the fans, dangerous for the performers due to falls and potential for electrocution. Obviously not the risk it as in the past what with all the battery wireless stuff these days.

Or a electrical blackout. Uml do her roadies carry their own emergency power generators hooked up and ready to fire up and switch on at a moment's notice??

But in the Mid West in summer rainouts have been a problem True in late June early July when Summerfest is on in Milwaukee e or late July early august when the Wisconsin State Fair is on.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

You'll never believe it.

I live in south East Queensland Australia near a place called Surfers Paradise.
One of the suburbs of that city is Carrara where there's a huge football (rugby league)stadium - and you'll never guess the name of the team that plays at home there - yep you got it!! the Bears!!!

Good story - you manage to inject the joy and emotion of this young performer.

Another great Sarah chapter

Renee_Heart2's picture

This was another great chapter Megan I espicaly like how Sarha gave the band their own large Carerra Bear that the could see or hug while it was on her bus. Sharah really does care about people & her fans I hope to see that throughout her music.

I know her dad has severl other big clients he has to take care of but he also has to rember he has only one daughter & now she is a teen pop star sensation just like Hanna Montana.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Didn't Realize...

...that the Paso Robles venue was so large. (I've been to the town a few times, but never to the fairgrounds.) I wouldn't have figured there were enough people in San Luis Obispo County and environs to support something like that.

Great chapter -- nice to see the first concert go so smoothly. Plenty of time for complications later (g).

Cute idea on the bears, though I'm sure they'll be hearing from the Care Bears legal team before too long if they keep the name.

Eric

Another great episode

Thanks Megan.

This continues to one of my favorite stories. The tour should be fun and I can't wait to see how things go when she starts back in school.

Luv an Peace,

Connie

Outstanding Chapter

The attention to the small details really make it real. Loved the bears, especially the band one. A wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

A groaner!

"I could even turn off the heat if I wanted to. That was really cool!" Really? Had to go for the cheap on, huh?


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Definitely having fun

Wendy Jean's picture

The very definition of a good life being good at what you do for a living and loving it.