The Soul Does Not Perish (part 4)

Printer-friendly version
The Soul Does Not Perish (Part 4)
by:
Lilith Langtree


Chase Moynihan boarded the flight to Hawaii with his four friends with the intention to spend the summer at his parents beach house, just like every other year. When the storm diverted their flight fate, or something else, stepped in and made the experience a fight for his life.

Author's Note: My posting over the very near future will probably be sporadic. 'll try to get the rest of these out at once a day until caught up. Past that, I don't know. Someone close in my life has developed ovarian cancer and I was with her most of this morning. The next few days will be demanding on my time to say the least.

Chapter 4

Usually when I needed time to think, I played video games or dusted my room. This time, I was out on the patio with my staff, formally the walking stick. Since my Druid revelation, I realized exactly what it was. Magic users didn’t necessarily need a staff or a wand or whatever to do their magic, but sometime using it as a focus helped them concentrate better. If there was one thing I lacked, it was concentration.

I was never any good at it. I simply thought about things too much. Over analyzing was a personal habit; that being good or bad has yet to be determined.

In other words, I needed the staff at that point. It was firm and real, something tangible in the new world of intangibility.

Over the course of the few days I’d had it, the splintered ends became rounded. It had thinned in certain places and thickened in others, and after the Create Water spell I intentionally called, Druidic symbols began appearing, burned into the wood. This culminated during the Greater Scrying spell. Sometime during my transformation, my staff changed along with me. It was on the thin side now; I suppose to match my thin figure. It was also virtually covered in runes.

Each one represented a specific spell that a Druid was able to cast. From the head of the staff through most of its length, they were burned in, etched for lack of a better word. That was confusing.

The Scrying spell I used wasn’t for that purpose. It was to spy upon a certain person or creature at any distance. It wasn’t for the all-encompassing Druidic data download that I received. It wasn’t for scanning the entire island. And it certainly wasn’t for merging however briefly with that thing that caused this whole fiasco to begin with.

Something bumped my leg while I was lost in my thoughts. I leaned forward and looked down to see an overgrown black cat circling and rubbing itself on my jeans. I reached down and brushed its hair.

“Hey there, kitty, you remind me of someone.”

I’d left the panther on the island, of course. It would be impossible to explain and truthfully, he was probably better off without me.

You cannot be rid of me so easily, friend.”

My mouth stretched wide and I set my staff aside before lifting the black cat onto my lap. “Is that you in there, panther?”

He purred at me as I stroked the length of his body over and again. “We are companions. We cannot be separated for long, even by great distances.”

Something came out of my mouth. It sounded vaguely like a giggle, but I’m not ascribing to any particular descriptive term at this point.

“But how did you turn into a small cat… well, you’re still big for a common cat, but you aren’t a panther anymore.”

He stretched up, placing a single paw on each one of my breasts and looked me in the eyes. “I am all that I was. You grant me the ability to transform as I grant you some of my traits.”

I kept forgetting about some of the really cool magic that a Druid can perform. Natural abilities that come with an increase in level and power were now within my grasp. I can transform my body into that of pretty much any creature. If I wanted to be a cat or a bird, I could. It’s called a Wild Shape.

“So you’re in disguise. That’s brilliant.” Leaning forward I brushed my cheek against his. “I missed you.”

As I did you, friend.”

Evelyn stepped out to the patio, holding a cup of coffee, and grinned. “Who’s your new friend? He’s a cutie.”

She petted the cat’s head and briefly scratched behind his ears.

“He’s the panther using my Wild Shape ability.”

Ev’s eyes widened in delight. “Oh my god, that is too cool for words!”

I nodded with a smile. We spent a little while giving the cat a lot more attention. I’m pretty sure he was in his own little nirvana, much like when Zach was stroking my hair. Then I rolled my eyes. Of course, that’s where I got it from. The panther had already gifted me with some of its traits. However as far as useful abilities go, it was pretty much down there on the lame scale.

“The plane landed. Our parents should be here soon.”

I swallowed. “Do I look okay?”

Ev gave me a dubious eye. “You’re freaking gorgeous, Chase. You make me sick. Don’t ever ask that question again. Even when your hair was fried this morning, you still looked better than any girl should look under the same conditions.”

Looking down, I stroked the cat some more. “I don’t look anything like I used to.”

“That’s not true.” Evelyn sat up and set her coffee on the patio table. “It’s mostly in your face. You could be your own sister. If that makes sense, I mean.”

Giving her a doubtful face was my only response, so she redoubled her effort.

“You’re looking at this all wrong, Chase. You’re not a female version of the boy you were, you’re like a genetic sister would be if you actually had a sister. You used to resemble your mother a lot in the face, now it’s more like your father. You have his angular jaw and…” She stopped and giggled. “And his cat-like eyes.”

I’d need a mirror to verify that, but I guess I could see what she was talking about from my own memory.

“You’ve definitely got your mom’s hair. Did I tell you that I hate you?”

The cat lifted his head and looked toward the front of the house. Ev and I looked at each other.

“They’re here,” she said. “Look. Why don’t you go have a walk and let me tell them about what happened. Come back in about thirty minutes and make sure you have your staff. They’re going to need a demonstration.”

It wasn’t because I was a coward, well maybe a little bit. I just couldn’t live with the disappointment on their faces. I might as well have died on the island. The cat jumped down and I stood, brushing off the errant hairs.

“I need my pack.”

Evelyn frowned. “I got you a purse. Use it.”

Rushing to my room, I stuffed my wallet and a few essentials in the purse before I heard the knock on the door. Ev rushed me out the back while Zach answered the door.

“Go hurry!” she said.

“I’m going down to the corner store.”

She nodded and then closed the curtain about half way.

Looking down, I said, “You coming, kitty?”

The cat jumped up to the hand rail and walked along with me. The familiar thump of my staff let me create a rhythm that I grew comfortable with the further I got from home.

A jeep drove by with a bunch of shirtless boys filling it, some of them hanging out the side. I heard whistles and an attempt to say something at high speed that sounded vaguely like words. I was glad I wasn’t wearing shorts. Baring skin to those idiots would have only encouraged them more.

The corner store was ten minutes away, by foot. A couple of younger teen boys were out front reading through a magazine, drinking Cokes and eating candy. It was pretty much what I used to do with Derrick while we grew up.

One of them looked up and froze when he saw me. I smiled and gave him a nod as I walked past. Before I entered the store I heard, “Whoa, babe alert!”

That brought a smile to my face. It wasn’t because of them locking their eyes on my butt. It was because that was the exact same thing that Derrick used to say to me.

The cashier’s eyes were on me as I entered and the cat waited at the door. I toured the aisles and stopped at the cooler to retrieve a Coke. Figuring I’d wasted enough time, I made my purchase and exited.

The boys were busy petting the cat which was probably an excuse to get to talk to me. I remember all the stupid things I used to do as a hormonal thirteen year-old.

They looked up at me, grinning. “Your cat’s gigantic. What kind is he?”

“I think he’s got some panther blood in him.”

The boy’s eyes widened until he realized I was playing with him.

“Come on, kitty; time to go.”

Their voices were hushed but busy as I left and followed the same road back to the beach house. When we approached, I sent the cat ahead to let Evelyn know that I was there. It was easy to be stealthy while wearing sandals.

Voices were raised. I could hear my father, not exactly yelling, but definitely louder than normal.

“Evelyn, it’s not that I don’t think you all believe what you saw, but magic isn’t real. Maybe it was hallucinogenic plant spores or something in the water.”

Ev came back at him. “Then why is Chase a girl still?”

“Evelyn…” That was her mother scolding her. “Enough of… oh, where did this cat come from. Did one of you leave the door open?”

That’s when I stepped through.

All eyes were on me at that point. Evelyn sighed. “Finally. You took long enough. I was done ten minutes ago.”

Setting my Coke on the table beside the door, I watched as Dad stood up from one of the many armchairs looking at me oddly.

“I hear we might need a demonstration?” I said.

“Please,” Evelyn begged.

“Something flashy I think. Come to the door.”

As I exited, I could hear the older adults start in on the question to Zach and Ev. The who is she and what’s she doing here sort of questions. The one answer I was interested in was the one that came from my dad.

“She looks like my mother. Well, a much younger version anyway.”

Looking around, I saw that we were completely alone. Waving everyone out, I pointed up. “Totally clear sky, right?”

The only clouds up there were a couple that were mere wisps amongst the blue background.

“Does anyone see any storm clouds?”

Evelyn’s father frowned. “This is ridiculous.”

Lifting my staff in the air I pointed it off shore. “Levitas Tempestas!”

Within a matter of moments dark clouds started forming themselves out of nothing, they were thick and grew thicker by the second. Thunder rumbled above, but I concentrated and pushed it off shore where there were no ships or boats to harm.

Every rune on my staff lit up, steadily growing brighter and brighter. The energy that I was calling with the storm was heady at the least. I felt a charge run through me, making the tiny hairs on my arms stick up.

Turning around, I looked at the others. “Do you believe now?”

They looked at me, in total confusion.

Impingo!”

A hundred yards off, into the Pacific, a blast of lightning struck the water. Static electricity filled the air.

Impingo!” Another crash further out.

I yelled out the incantation for five more strikes, one after the other, before I eased back, pulling the energy back into me and dispersing the black clouds. Within a single minute the sky was right back to where it was only minutes before.

Even Zach and Ev looked impressed. The others looked terrified.

“Everything that Evelyn told you was true,” I said as I approached the patio, walking up to Mom and Dad. “I’m Chase. I used to be your son, now I’m your daughter.”

With that announced, I walked past them through the house and to my room.

~O~

Laying the staff on my bed, I sat on the floor and the cat came to stand in the clearest portion of the room. In an instant, his body shifted and in its place was the great panther I knew from the jungle.

Peace, friend.”

I sighed and stretched my legs out. He came and stretched out beside me, laying his head on my lap.

You are their cub. They worry for you and the power you possess.”

With a smile, I stroked his neck. “You’re all knowing now?”

It is a simple thing to see.”

When I nodded, I heard a soft knock on the door. Trapped as I was underneath the panther, I called out. “It’s open.”

Mom’s eyes widened when she saw the panther.

“It’s okay,” I said. “He won’t hurt you.”

She didn’t seem so sure. I saw Dad looking over her shoulder, so I prodded the panther. “Turn back into the cat. Quit freaking my parents out.”

With liquid grace he stood and in the next moment, the large regular-sized cat was in its place. He jumped up on the bed and made himself comfortable on one of my pillows.

I watched as Mom swallowed and then edged into the room. They both stood there as Dad closed the door. Then we stared at each other for a few moments. I was getting edgy and wrung at my neck.

“Chase?” asked Mom.

My eyes darted to her. “It’s me, Mom. I know I look different, but it’s still me inside.”

Dad slid his arm around her shoulders. “You have to see things from our perspective…” he left it hanging there. Usually he’d end that type of sentence with the word, son.

“What do you want me to say? We can play twenty questions and you can ask things that only I would know. Or you can believe what you saw with your own eyes and heard from Evelyn’s story.” Thumbing back to the cat on the pillow, I said, “How often do you see a black panther turn into a cat?”

They still looked unsure, like they wanted to believe, but were still blindsided about what they saw. I stood up and came eye to eye with my mother. It looked like I lost a few inches in height. I thought I had. Everything seemed a little bigger now, but it wasn’t proof enough to me until I was faced with the reality that was.

“The last thing you said to me before I left was don’t forget to call as soon as we landed and not to wait until we got to the house then you said, bye sweetie, I love you.” Turning to my father, I continued. “You were in the garage looking for the sewer snake because you clogged up the toilet that morning. You shook my hand and told me to be safe and stay out of trouble.”

Throwing my hands out, I let them drop by my sides. “There, unless you want to get into serious specifics about other things, I got nothing else for you.”

Mom didn’t wait for me to finish before she stepped forward and hugged me. The wall I’d been holding up since they got there came crumbling down and the breath rushed out of my body. Mom’s arms were like steel vises and they’d never felt so good. Tears ran freely down my face. I’d thought I’d never see them again and that they’d never know I was alive.

Dad joined in soon after, and for the first time since the first bolt of lightning hit the plane, I felt hope.

~O~

“You said I look like Grandma?”

Dad chuckled a little. “You’re eerily similar. I’ve seen pictures of her as a teenager. She’s going to be stunned when she sees you.”

I dabbed at my eyes with a tissue. “That pretty much falls in line with what Evelyn said about why I don’t look anything like myself. She said it’s genetics and not just the female version of me.”

Mom hadn’t let go of my hand since the hug. “She seems to know a lot, from what she said anyway.”

I nodded. “Yeah, well I got the female Druid, Zach was turning into an Elf and Ev was the Dungeon Master. They’re supposed to be all knowing, so it makes sense that she’d be more intuitive than the rest of us.”

Dad shook his head, and then palmed his face, dragging his hand down. “I just don’t understand, what in the world could do this.”

With a deep breath, I told him a little of what I knew from the scrying I performed.

“I haven’t told the other this, so keep it to yourselves for now.” When I saw them give agreeing nods, I began. “A long time ago, I’m talking two to three thousand years or so, magic was active in the regular world. With the rise of intelligent, civilization, it began to recede a little at a time until eventually all that was left was an uncharted island in the middle of the Pacific.”

Dad glanced at Mom to see if she was buying my story then he looked back at me. “Magic, real magic?”

I nodded. “It’s been sitting out there, conserving itself, building its energy, waiting for someone that had the talent and perseverance to wield it again. The game… D&D was just the catalyst. When we got close enough to the island, it recognized something in me and in Zach, Evelyn too I guess. So it took steps to bring us to the island.”

Mom covered her mouth, finally realizing what I was saying, and then Dad twigged. “You’re saying it crashed the plane on purpose?”

With regret, I nodded. “It killed twenty-three people including Derrick and Carrie, all so it could get me, Zach and Evelyn to the island. It even went so far as to endanger Zach’s life so that I would heal him, and kick start the whole transition process. It was just a matter of time, after that. If we hadn’t been rescued, Zach would probably be well on his way to becoming an Elf. He’s already changed some, but it’s just cosmetic.”

Dad blinked. “What? He looks just the same.”

Giving him a short shake of my head, I explained. “Take a closer look at his skin. He’ll never need to shave again in his life. I haven’t seen the rest of his body yet, but I’d be willing to bet that his hair is pretty much gone, or at the very least not growing anymore. Elves don’t have body hair.”

Mom squeezed my hand. “What about Evelyn?”

“I don’t know. As far as I can see, her change was subtle, a mental thing only.”

At this point Dad was doing his finger tapping on his lips routine which meant he was deep in thought. “So, what happens now?”

I looked down at my hands, one of them being squeezed by my mom. “I’m a Druid. It’s embedded itself in me.”

“What does that mean?” he asked. “Are you supposed to run off to Ireland and live in the woods or something?”

“No, it’s… I’m…” I was becoming tongue tied. “There are different kinds of Druids. Some live in the forest and defend their Sacred Groves, others defend unspoiled nature, some are friends to animals of all types, protectors of villages, and some are advisors to people in power like kings. I’m here for a little bit of all of them. Since I’m the only Druid in existence, I’ve got a big job ahead of me.”

Mom let go of my hand and slid it around my shoulders. “I don’t understand, sweetie.”

“Neither do I,” I admitted. “The thing that lives on the island, it wants magic back in the world. It’s angry that so much technology has taken over and people have forgotten about what is possible with their imagination and will. I’m here to change that.”

Dad huffed. “I think that thing that lives there needs to be smacked around a few times. What it has done is reprehensible. Chase, you’ll do what you want to do.”

“I can’t. It’s either me or it’ll find someone else. More people will die if I don’t act. We can’t exactly tell the government and make sure no other plane goes in the area. It’ll find a way to make it happen.”

“What do you mean?” he asked.

“It’s a true neutral being, Dad. It doesn’t care about good or evil, only what it has to do in order for things to go its way. If that means a thousand people have to die to make this happen then it will gladly kill them. If it means that it saves a million lives then it’ll do that too. Can you see what would happen if a cruise ship decided to change its course, how many could die?”

“I don’t like this,” Dad said. “You being forced to do this, whatever it is…”

“I’m doing this of my own free will. I choose this because the alternative isn’t something that I’m prepared to ignore. But, make no mistake, it’s my choice.”

~O~

We all went out to dinner, minus Zach and his parents. They were busy making arrangements for their daughter’s body to be taken back to the mainland and insisting that their son return home with them. Zach was less than helpful.

He wanted to stay with me and Evelyn too. He was under some assumption that whatever happened, I could protect him. His parents weren’t so sure. In fact, they didn’t want him anywhere near me. With the death of their only daughter and the display they saw from me, they thought being about ten thousand miles away wasn’t enough, but it would have to do. They were moving to Tennessee.

I understood. If I had a kid and they wanted to hang out with me, I’d probably strangle them. Even as understanding as I was, I didn’t want to lose Zach.

They were leaving the following morning. That left the night for us.

“I don’t want to go.”

“Zach, I’m not so sure that they’re wrong.”

He picked up a broken sea shell off the beach and tossed it into the ocean. “Well, I am.” He frowned in the direction of the house where his parents stood guard, watching us so he couldn’t run away, I’m sure.

“Look once we get to Tennessee,” he said the word like it was just fifty miles north of hell. “I’ll find a tree. All you have to do is find one similar and do a Transport via Plant spell, pick me up and we can come back. I can go with you; all I have to do is touch you.”

It was a good plan. They’d just assume he ran away. Who would actually think he’d be able to join me anywhere? There was only one problem. “Your parents just lost their only daughter and you’re going to take away their only son as well?”

Zach ran his fingers through his hair. “It’s not fair.”

I agreed. “No, it’s not. It sucks that you have to be punished for living, and in a little over a year, you’ll be free to do whatever you want.”

He paused and started searching my eyes for something. Looking back at his parents one more time, Zach shoved his hands in his pockets. “The way I see it is that you’re a thirteenth or fourteenth level Druid, right?”

Apparently it was time for a topic change. “Uh… yeah.”

Zach nodded thoughtfully. “That makes you an Archdruid or possibly even a Great Druid.”

I shrugged. “Well I’d like to think I’m pretty good, but great might be exaggerating a little.”

He rolled his eyes at my attempt with humor. Totally ignoring what I said, he moved on. “That means you need Acolytes.”

I wasn’t exactly familiar with the term, but as I thought about the position, it came to me. Going over the particulars in my head, I already found a flaw in his plan. “You’d have to be an Initiate of the Ninth Circle, eleventh level if I’m not wrong.”

As one increases levels they ascend Circles. Basically it’s all one big circle-jerk.

“Exactly.”

I blinked. “Wait, what?”

“I was listening at your door when you told your parents about the thing on the island.” He saw the expression on my face. “I was worried about you and I was about to knock when I heard you talking. Afterward, I had to think, so I left you alone.”

Once I figured out where he was going with this I confronted him. “We don’t know that it’ll work, Zach. What happens if I do the zappy on you and you turn into an Elf?”

He took a breath, looking all noble. “Then I turn into an Elf.”

I turned around, shaking my head. “No.”

“It’s not your decision, Chase. It’s my life.”

“You’re sixteen, Zach.”

“I’m almost seventeen and you’re eighteen, so what?”

Whipping back around, I planted my staff in the sand and tried to look threatening. “Do you even have a clue what it means to be an Acolyte?”

He shrugged. “Pretty much.”

My eyes narrowed. “You will have no secrets from me… none. You have to do what I say. There’s no room for argument. If that means I send you to Zimbabwe to work for a month, you’ll have to go. If you don’t then you’ll be banished and I won’t be able to see you… ever again.”

He countered my arguments. “I’ll also learn from you. I can help you. Plus, at that level, I can do this from Tennessee for the next year. If you need me or I need you, I can do the Transport via Plant spell. This way I’ll still be there for my parents, but I can be there for you too.”

He had the advantage of time to think about his arguments. Me, I had squat. “We need privacy. Meet me back here at midnight.”

His grin almost split his face, so I had to break that off of him immediately. “Zach, if you’re happy all of the sudden, don’t you think your parents will know you’re up to something?”

“Oh, sorry.”

I sighed. “When you go back, don’t look mad or broken. They’ll keep a closer eye on you. Just act disappointed, maybe give them a pleading look or two, but don’t overdo it.”

~O~

I counted the minutes and tried to think of a suitable way out of doing this, but Zach had covered all of his bases as far as I could see. It was the last part of his argument that sealed it for me. He would stay in Tennessee until he was eighteen. After that I would feel no guilt for taking him away from his parents.

A tapping at the door alerted me. I looked at the cat.

It is your woman friend.”

“Oh.”

After she came in I gave her a what’s up look.

“If you’re trying to make people think you’re not up to something then you might want to turn off your light.”

“Sue me. I’m not used to lying to people.”

Evelyn hopped on my still made bed and started scratching my cat. “So, swords at dawn? What’s going on?”

“I’m making Zach my Acolyte tonight.”

She digested that for a few moments. “I guess I’m not invited.”

Shaking my head, I shifted a little. “It’s a Druid thing.”

“And you can’t tell anyone or have outsiders at the ritual, yeah, I get it. That sucks.”

Five more minutes and I had to leave. “Can you cover for us if his parents wake up? Tell them I’m blessing him or something, protection spell, so he’ll be safe.”

Ev’s lips quirked to the side in amusement. “Isn’t he afraid of turning into an Elf?”

I cringed. “You think he will?”

She shook her head. “He won’t. You’ll be pulling magic from the island and channeling it through you. That means it’s your intent that matters most.”

“How do you know all of this?”

She shrugged and then started doing baby talk to the cat. “Who’s the cutest kitty in the world?”

Make her stop.”

“Ev, you’re annoying a black panther and I have to go.”

She frowned. “Fine.”

I made sure she was in her room before I turned my light out and opened the window to slip out. The cat was right behind me and shifted to a panther before hitting the ground. Zach’s room was on the other side of the house so I didn’t know if he made it out or not. The panther led the way to the beach, staying in the shadows where possible.

Fear that he hadn’t made it was whisked away when I saw him already waiting for me. He was wearing shorts and a tank top. Oh, by the way, I was right. His legs were smooth. I hoped he didn’t get any crap for that in gym class when he reached his new high school. Who was I kidding? He would be able to call down a lightning strike on whoever messed with him.

“How long have you been here?” I asked.

“Two or three minutes. Not long.”

The panther led us away from prying eyes, wherever they may have been. A cove a couple hundred yards away was our destination. It was private and fairly loud so we couldn’t be overheard.

“Are you sure you want to do this? You remember the down sides to being an Acolyte?”

Zach nodded. “I’m sure. What do we need to do first?”

I pursed my lips. “Strip.”

His nervousness level shot off the charts. “What?”

I was already slipping off my sandals and unbuttoning my jeans. “This is a Druidic ritual, Zach. That means no clothes. If you can’t do that then…”

He swallowed and looked around. “Uh… no, I’m cool.”

Damn. I was bluffing. The naked thing was all bullshit. I actually thought he’d bail when he found that out, but before I could tell him that, he dropped his shorts… and panties and stepped out of them. That pretty much required me to follow suit or look like the biggest ass in the world.

So I swallowed my embarrassment and slid my jeans off, followed by my top and bra. My panties were last. Thank god I shaved. That would have been awkward. Hey I have more bush than you! Yeah, that would have gone over well.

Zach was poleaxed. A dazed expression was etched on his face, and I felt the heat of his stare run down my body. Trying to keep this businesslike was going to be difficult. Judging by the way he was looking at me, it was probably the first time he’d seen a naked girl, and of course it had to be me.

“Zach.” I tried to snap him out of the daze he was in, but I had to repeat myself. “Zach!”

He flinched and his eyes focused on mine. Now he was mortified. “Sorry.”

It was difficult for me to not notice his reaction — I’m talking about down there — but I kept my eyes on his. The next portion of the ritual came out of my mind and I nearly stopped the whole thing right there. In for a penny in for a pound.

“Kneel on both knees.”

The cool sand shifted between my toes and I felt my connection to the Earth. The light breeze felt nice against my skin as I stepped forward and set my staff between us. Perhaps he’d look at that instead of the something else that was now at his eye level.

“Take hold of the staff, Zach. One hand.”

He reached forward and grasped it. That’s when I saw that he’d closed his eyes. It seemed as if his noble side had finally made an appearance. I appreciated that more than he would know.

“Zachery Ewellynn do you swear by the magic that you hold dear to be loyal and obedient, to listen and learn, to keep no secrets from me, and to guard my secrets.”

The runes on my staff lit up. Zach flinched but held firm. “I do.”

“Zachery Ewellynn, do you swear by your loyalty to me your term of service shall last until midnight at the time of your eighteenth year of life.”

The runes flashed again and he was faster with his answer. “I do.”

Something from me reached out, far off in the Pacific to the island where my talents were awakened.

“Zachery Ewellynn, do you swear to take my mark and renounce fealty to all others and proclaim your fealty to me during the time spent in my service.”

The staff flashed a third time, it’s brightest yet. “I do so swear.”

The connection was made between the presence on the island and me, and through me, I felt a rush of power enter Zach. His grip on the staff intensified, then his head snapped back and he looked up at me, pain in his eyes.

I dropped the staff and took hold of him. His body shook as I pulled him to me, his back to my front.

“Shh, it’ll be over in a minute. Shh.” I brushed his hair back, stroking it gently. It took a few minutes for the spasms to slow and then stop. All the while I brushed my fingers through his hair and held him.

When everything seemed back to normal, I felt him, a small presence in my chest. It wasn’t some sort of soul bond or anything new-agey like that. It was simply something that I recognized as belonging to me. I would always know where Zach was at. I would know if he told the truth, and I would always know if he was loyal to me. They last part I didn’t question. The second part kind of merged with the last, and the first part was kind of neat. It made me feel better about having him so far away from me. I’d always be able to find him.

“You okay?” I whispered.

He nodded. “I’m just committing this moment to memory. I never want to forget it.”

I knew he was serious, but I also knew that my arms around him and two breasts pressing against his back was part of what he wanted to remember. Such was the way of a teenage boy.

He turned his head and looked at me somewhat seriously. His eyes flicked down to my lips, and I twisted them to the side.

“You’re sixteen. I’m eighteen.”

Zach’s disappointment didn’t seem long spent. “Does that mean you’re not freaked out about the idea of kissing me?”

I opened my mouth to answer, but stalled. Instead, I let go of him and started to stand up. “You’re my Acolyte. That would be improper.”

Moving over to my clothes, I brushed off the worst of the sand and started to slide my panties on.

“That wasn’t a no,” he said.

“And that’s all you’re going to get, so it’s best not to think about it. Get dressed.”

Without a second thought, Zach stood and started dressing. He didn’t try to hide the fact that his panties were sexier than mine. There weren’t any more secrets. If I was to accept him, then I would accept all of him. I’d already done that, and he knew it.

This time, I wasn’t able to avoid looking at him as he dressed. Let’s just say that he was in very good shape for a teenager, and leave it at that, shall we?

Zach was still brushing sand off of his legs when I finished. He had more to hide than I did, and he wouldn’t be able to take a shower until the morning.

“Should I call you master or mistress?”

Realizing that those were the proper terms for our relationship, I decided against it. “Call me Chase, just like before. New rules for a new age. People would probably freak out if they overheard you calling me mistress. I’d rather not be thrown in jail for statutory rape if you don’t mind.”

He nodded seriously.

On our walk back to the beach house I briefed him on what Evelyn was going to tell his parents if he got busted.

“When you get to Tennessee, I’m sure you’ll be able to spend some time out in the woods. Find a staff, call your animal companion and get to know each other. Practice your spells, but keep it sane. I don’t want to hear about freak lightning storms on the news every day.”

He agreed. “We need some way to talk. Just in case.”

“I’m your patron now, Zach. I’ll provide. Keep an eye out for packages in the mail. Until then you have my email address and phone number.”

We stopped by my window and hugged. He was a little taller than me. That would change over the next year. It felt nice looking forward to that.

Pulling back he snuck in a kiss to my cheek and then turned away heading to his own window to sneak back in. I sighed, not in a dreamy way. It was more of a what am I going to do about him way.

When I slid into the window I found mom sitting on my bed with a disappointed look on her face. “How long have you two been sleeping together?”

The panther jumped through the window in cat form.

“We’re not sleeping together.” I closed the window and pulled the curtains. “We were saying goodbye.”

She gave me a very doubtful look.

“Really. I did some magic that will offer him some protection, but that’s it.”

“Is that why you’re covered in sand, Chase?”

I nodded and pulled off my top. “Yes. It is. See, no hickeys anywhere, no sweat, and no scratches. My lips are not red and puffy from kissing. I’m still a virgin in this body, Mom.”

She was staring at me. Oh. I’d forgotten that she hadn’t seen the goods yet. After a few moments she blinked and refocused.

“You can get pregnant now. You know that.” I didn’t bother giving that any thought because it didn’t deserve any. That didn’t keep her from talking. “We need to get you an appointment with my gynecologist and start you on birth control.”

It was like talking to a wall. “Mom, would it make you feel better if I spread my legs and let you look? I’m clean, nothing happened. And forget the doctor. I’m not running out to find the first boy I meet just to bed him.”

She was on edge and that just pushed her over. Lowering her head into her hands, she burst into tears.

The whole conversation was just thrown into the works when I finally realized that Mom had probably spent the better part of a week scared that I was dead and then I turn up vastly different that I was before. It would probably make me a little crazy too. I didn’t want to sit on the bed and get sand everywhere, so I kneeled in from of her and set my head in her lap for an awkward hug.

She leaned down and returned it, brushing my mounds of hair out of the way.

In due time, she calmed and apologized before leaving. It was somewhat abrupt, so I tried not to think about what was going on in her head. After a quick shower to rid myself of the sand I slipped into bed and promptly fell asleep.

~O~

They were gone when I woke up, Zach and his parents. I felt for him and found they were already over the Pacific, well past the island, and bearing down on Los Angeles. I was disappointed, or perhaps hurt would be a better word that his parents might be blaming me for what happened. It was irrational, sure, but they’d also lost a daughter recently and people tend to be irrational at times like these.

Instead of moping around, I donned a pair of shorts and one of those shirts that girls always wear with the tiny straps that were almost always too tight. Another thing to mention, since I was on the subject of clothes. Why is it that girls shorts are always tiny? I was used to wearing knee draggers and the next thing I know, both of my thighs are on display for the world to see. Not that I was a big prude or anything, I did just strip in front of Zach last night for a magic ritual, and I really like watching girls legs appreciating how much skin they always showed.

Rolling my eyes, I realized exactly why their clothes were so revealing. If you haven’t figured it out then I’m not saying.

Taking my hair out of its bindings, I fluffed it up to a respectable facsimile of what it looked like the day before and the shuffled out to the kitchen.

Mom was there already whipping me up something to eat as Dad was sipping on his coffee and eyeing me with a strange look on his face. Evelyn was talking to her parents and gave me a little wave from the living room.

After pouring a glass of juice, I retreated to the table and attempted to wake up. Dad kept eyeing me oddly until I got fed up in my semi-conscious state.

“What?” I didn’t snap the words out, I was just curious about what he found so strange. Hopefully it was something other than me being a girl. I thought I’d received more than enough gawking at the day before.

He shook his head like it wasn’t anything important. “It’s strange seeing your old mannerisms in an unfamiliar body. You act the exact same way as before.”

Mom slid a plate in front of me. “Yes, we need to work on that. You have a lot to learn about being a girl now.”

Oh god, somebody shoot me. I did not need to learn the mysterious ways of the female creature. It didn’t matter how I crossed my legs, or properly extended my pinky finger when sipping my coffee. I wasn’t going to become some little Barbie doll for my mother to have something to do.

“Evelyn’s helping me. You don’t have to worry about that.”

Mom sat and nodded. It seemed as if all the worry about me being dead was thrown to the wayside since they’d confirmed I was still alive and kicking. Now they had all new things to deal with. “Your grooming is acceptable, but you need some work.”

Another reason to thank Evelyn for making me shave my legs. Mom has a serious problem with women that try their best to look like men. She grew up in a very conservative home where girls had long hair and rarely wore anything other than dresses, and then only because there was physical labor involved. Her nails were always immaculate and she was rarely seen outside of her bedroom without makeup.

With me sitting there in shorts with my legs spread apart, slouching in the chair beside her was probably setting off every red alert bell in her head. It was readily apparent that I was soon to become Mom’s new pet project.

Looking over at her, I tried to be gracious. “Mom, I have more important things to worry about right now.”

Her serious face was already firmly in place. “The subject’s not up for discussion, Chase.” She lowered her voice so only Dad and I could hear. “From what you told us last night, you are in a position of power. Nobody respects those that don’t respect themselves enough to put on a proper face to the public.”

My brow did something funky as I stared at her incredulously. “What public?”

“Chase,” Dad interrupted. “Listen to your mother. She knows what she’s talking about.”

She pointed at my plate. “Eat your breakfast, sweetie, and I’ll explain.”

Reluctantly I settled myself in for the siege.

“Some people think all that’s important is the message that people give. Substance is what matters, everything else is secondary. That couldn’t be further from the truth. Appearance is most important. Charisma is most important. If you walked into a room, half your battle is determined within the first thirty seconds.”

I was about to argue, but she pointed at the plate again.

“You know I’m right, Chase. How often have you formed an opinion about someone simply from the way they dress and groom themselves? Always. It may not be fair, but it’s a fact of life. We can go out and I can point to someone. You’ll give me an opinion about what kind of person you think they are: rich, poor, sanitary or not. Do you understand what I am saying?”

I nodded, and finished my eggs. I was about to push the plate away when Mom reminded me to eat my toast.

“Now think about this. If you saw a stunningly attractive woman enter a room with tight jeans and a tight top and no makeup, what would you think of her?”

It was obvious where she was taking this. I was that woman, but I wasn’t going to take her bait. “Fine, Mom. I understand. But you’ve also got to understand that I can’t be overly feminine. I’m a Druid. That means physical activity almost all the time. High heels and cocktail dresses aren’t going to be in my future.”

She shook her head. “I wouldn’t presume. You’ll need your own personal style, something that exudes power, but also reminds those around you that you are a woman and are not to be treated with disrespect.”

I received a knowing and devious smile after that. Somehow I knew I was in for a very long summer.

TBC...

up
229 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Soul Does Not Perish (part 4)

So, does this mean that Chase is to be the first of many druids?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I Absolutely Love this

I like this story and others you have written.

I wish I could write a story with D&D Elements, Being a D&D Geek. Problem is what Race and Class/or Combination of Classes/Prestige Classes do i go with.

Also what age should the character be before/after the transformation.

ahh, real life intrudes.

It's good to see that Chase doesn't just have the magic to contend with. The more mundane things should help ground her in the future.

I liked what she did with Zach, too.

Maggie

She needs to ask

She needs to ask the feline what his name is?

Why? if the Panther has a

Why? if the Panther has a name, it's probably a scent.

He knows who he is, so why would he worry about anyone else.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

The circle grows

Another wonderful chapter. Chase still has much to learn about her new abilities and will have to learn (suffer through her mother's lessons) about what it means to be a woman. Now, that Chase realizes that she can travel freely by Transport she can counter the Islands need to draw in people by bringing people to the Island herself. I was glad to see the panther return to Chase in the chapter, and having it begging Chase to make Evelyn stop the baby talk was too precious. I will be waiting for more, but realize that you will be focused on more important things for awhile.

Usagi

I'm wondering why Chase's

I'm wondering why Chase's Mom and Dad, or Evelyn for that matter, have not brought up the issue of a new name for their new daughter. Chase doesn't sound very girl to me.

Uh...

Don't tell that to Chase Masterson! :)

-Star Trek DS9 and some anime voice work (and quite attractive too!)

-sb

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

a long summer....

learning how to be a woman is going to take some time.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

The Soul Does Not Perish

I will keep your friend in my thoughts and prayers Lilith may they get well soon!!

Okay, what game is Ev playing here....

She shrugged and then started doing baby talk to the cat. “Who’s the cutest kitty in the world?”

“Make her stop.”

“Ev, you’re annoying a black panther and I have to go.”

So... if Ev is the all-knowing GM, then what is her purpose in antagonizing the Panther? Is there some message she is sending to Chase???

-sb

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

Chase is a self-willed

know it all, or so s/he thinks. I do not think what it means to be a woman has really sunk in yet for him. He acknowledges his physical change but being a woman requires that the foundation be set within her psyche as all us trans people know else her 'presence' will lack authenticity. He has to imho be willing to become more womanly then he could possibly be comfortable with at the moment.

*cackles gleefully*

Kim

3.5 or 4?

Drakira's picture

Which DnD version are you using for material to spin off of?

Drakira

Drakira

Yes.

Yes.

By which I mean, all editions are considered in this story. I'm picking and choosing what rules to go by. In the later editions they don't really use the ranking system so much as simply relying on skill levels. In this chapter alone I use material from 2nd, 3.5 and 4th editions. As you're starting to see, not all magic is working like it does in the game.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Question...

...since my knowledge of D&D details is relatively vague.

Going over the particulars in my head, I already found a flaw in his plan. “You’d have to be an Initiate of the Ninth Circle, eleventh level if I’m not wrong.”
“Exactly.”
I blinked. “Wait, what?”

Chase is telling him, if I have this right, that Zach isn't advanced enough in game terms. Zach's saying otherwise, but based on what? Is Zach just assuming that the magical entity will boost him sufficiently to accomplish this in order to support the spread of magic, even if Chase seems doubtful about going through with it?

In one way, that makes sense, since the entity has its own agenda. (And I gather Chase jumped ten levels in record time.) Further, unlike a DM who's expected to follow the overlying rules, the entity seems to be using D&D as a convenience since his contacts are familiar with it.

(Which sort of makes me wonder what happens when it runs into shamans, voudoun practitioners, some varieties of neo-pagans and wiccans, etc. It might be interesting if one of the latter was among the other 20+ passengers: Chase's scrying spell probably would have uncovered the fact, but not necessarily seen significance there.)

Eric

I should have explained that

I should have explained that better.

Yes, you're correct. What's going on through her head is that Zach isn't a Druid and can't be a high level Druid at the snap of his fingers, so it wouldn't work. But we know different now.

Think of it along the lines of the Pope and his Cardinals. Although there's still a higher positions for Chase to achieve. She's not all powerful or anything close to it yet. It would be like a person that's just entered the priesthood becoming a Cardinal. It's just not done.

Other forms of magic will pop up later.

~Lili

Blog: http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lilith_langtree

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Druids used Ogham not a Runic alphabet

Angharad's picture

our mixing Celtic druidic culture with Germanic magic. The druids didn't occur in German or Scandinavia, they were mainly centre on Britain, especially Anglesey, which was where the Romans slaughtered them.

Angharad