Birthday List

Printer-friendly version

Just a short story I needed to write.

 
Birthday List
By Sara D.
 

“Andy it’s time to wake up” mom yelled through my locked door.

“I’m up, I’m up” I said sitting up stretching my arms above my head. I wiped the sleep from my eyes as I opened my door and walked into mom at the bathroom.

“Don’t doddle I want to get your school clothes shopping done so hurry it up” mom said as she swatted my but as I went into the bathroom to shower.

I was quickly done in the shower and dressed to go with mom for my ‘back to school’ shopping’ ugh. It’s too soon I grumbled to myself as mom drove us to the mall.

Mom parked just outside of JC Penny, and like every time before we had to walk past the girls section to get to the boys and men’s sections. As was now just big enough at 5’2” to fit into both boys large and men’s small we would most likely be shopping in both sections.

I let an audible sigh as I tried not to look at all those lovely clothes hanging on the racks. “Huh.”

“I know you don’t like shopping honey, but you need new clothes, you are starting high school after all.” She said with a smile.

I thought to myself ‘I just hate shopping in the wrong section’ but I schlepped along and got new clothes for the ninth grade.

Once our shopping and my terror of having to pass by girls clothes in each store it became clear to me what I had wanted, no needed I needed girl’s clothes. I would never openly admit that to my parents in a million years, they would kill me.

So with a heavy heart I helped mom load my new wears into the back of the car and we headed home.

As we pulled into the driveway mom asked me “Andy I want you to make a list for your 14th birthday for me. I know it’s still a month away but now that we’ve got the school clothes you need you can make a list of what you really want for your b-day.”

‘What I really want’ I thought to myself Hmm... “Ok” I simply answered.

After I had all the new clothes stripped of their tags and put away I logged into Face book to see what all my friends were up to. It seems all my friends’ parents; mostly mothers had the same idea.

Shawn wrote: Don’t you hate school shopping; I mean WTF is with new clothes every year.

Tim commented back: I know I hate that too. I just wish my mom would let me be. She is always excited about shopping and I shudder every time she takes me.

So I commented too. Andy: I know what you guys mean, ugh. IDK what I wear just as long as it fits. Now she wants me to make a list of what I want for my b-day. Mothers are so needy.

We went back and forth for a while in chat and then decided we would use our last few weeks of summer left to goof of as much as possible. The hills just outside our subdivision of houses provided us with entertainment for hours. On previous visits Tim, Shawn and I made jumps, turns and mud holes for our fun. So that afternoon we met at the park and rode our bike for the rest of the day.

Once we were done and I had put my bike back into the garage I went back into my room and played around for a bit. After about an hour I was interrupted by my dad yelling at me that dinner was ready.

“Be down in a sec. dad” I answered back.

“How was your day?” Dad asked us both.

“OK, I guess” I said quietly.

“I heard about your shopping trip with mom, I know you had fun with here didn’t you?” Dad said with a laugh, knowing full well I hated it.

“Oh Richard stop teasing him, you know he doesn’t like shopping with me.” Mom scolded him playfully.

“I know Mary, I’m sorry Andy.” Dad looked at me a smiled; I knew he was just hounding me for a laugh; he and I shared the same sense of humor. “Mom also tells me you’re going to make a birthday list.” He continued his ribbing. “Make sure you put what you really want.” He said in a serious tone. “You’ve done well in school and around the house, don’t ask for anything too over the top but ask for it if you want it.” He said with a smile and continued.

After helping dad with cleaning the kitchen and dishes I went back to my room and played on the computer some more. While I waited for the game to load I thought about the list, so I opened up a word document and thought ‘what the hell’ and began typing.

I started typing.

Andy’s Birthday List

Mom and dad this list is what I really want for my birthday. I am being totally serious and truthful. Please don’t be mad at me, this is who I wish to be.

I would love to come home one day and find my boy’s underwear replaced with the prettiest girls panties.

I would love to find that my shorts had been replaced by skirts and girly shorts.

I would love to find a new bikini and one piece swim suit waiting for me and our pool.

I would love to open up presents containing my own make-up and jewelry.

I would love for mom to really take me shopping and get a few dresses, and at least one that was beautiful.

I would love to open an envelope and find a gift certificate for a manicure and a pedicure.

I would love to call you mommy and daddy, and you to call me Andrea or Andie for short.

So I finished up the list and printed it out. I gave out a chuckle as I read what I had printed. Who am I kidding; I thought as I crumpled it up and threw it away in the garbage can in my room.

The next morning I was again rushed awake to help my dad clean up after a water leak at my grandmother’s house. When we returned home after a long day we all sat and ate dinner while watching television. As I brought the first bite of chicken to my mouth my mom spoke.

“I found your birthday list today Andy” she said looking at me for a reaction.

“That’s good” dad simply said.

“Are you sure this list is exactly what you want?” She asked smiling.

I turned bright red and I wished the floor would open up and swallow me and take me away. Mom continued to stare at me for an answer. I swallowed hard, found the courage.

“Yes it is mom” cringing from the beating I was to get but did not.

“Ok, I’ll see what you and our father can come up with.” She said simply as she handed the list over to dad.

Dad just read the list to himself for a few minutes then asked. “Is this list for real son?”

“Yes dad” I simply replied.

“Ok then, now let’s go clean up the kitchen for mom.”

I was walking on egg shells the rest of the night, was she being serious. I thought about that list all while helping dad with the dishes again. I looked at him for some sort of reaction to the list; all I got was a friendly smile. Once we were done with the dishes and I put up the towel from drying them dad looked at me then gave me a hug.

“No matter what Andy, your mom and I love you.”

“I love you to daddy.” I answered testing the waters of the list.

“Now off to bed with you,” he said releasing the hug “Night.”

“Good night dad.” I said as I headed to my room.

I ran into mom in the hallway and she stopped me for a minute.

“Just a sec Andy,” she said holding the list out “what are your favorite colors?”

I thought about is for a second “Peach, purple, blue, red, pink, yellow” I answered; “anything pretty.”

“Ok, you’re sure about this, there’s no turning back once we start down this road. You need to understand that.” She said giving me a hug.

“I understand perfectly mother, I need to do this I need to find out why I want the things on that list.” I answered truthfully.

“Ok honey, get some sleep.” Nothing else was said and I undressed and went to bed.

The next morning I woke up feeling that last night was just a dream. I got myself dressed and ready for the day. As I sat with my parents eating Sunday brunch nothing was said of the past evening. It must have been a dream I reassured myself.

up
127 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

hopefully, not a dream

or at least a dream that comes true, one day

Dorothycolleen, member of Bailey's Angels

DogSig.png

Will we the rest of the day

RAMI

Will we see the rest of the day, and more importantly, what he gets for his birthday.

Rami

RAMI

*sigh* How many times I

Gwendolyn's picture

*sigh* How many times I wrote something like that for my birthday or Christmas, and then wiped away all possible evidence. I'd love to read at least up to the birthday if you have the story in you. :) If not, it did give me a very nice daydream that I thank you for.

More

The little girl inside comes alive

"More please! More story Please" I cry as I bounce up and down with my pigtails bouncing and the skirt of my dress swishing.

Birthday List

Birthday List needs to continue.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine