Easy As Falling Off A Bike part 2

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad.
part 2.

The shower had returned me to some degree of normality and I was beginning to recover from the hypothermia or shock, or both. I grabbed the yellow bath towel and began to gently pat myself dry. I was covered in bruises and scratches, none were too deep and I'd suffered more from falling off the bike on earlier occasions.

The bandage I'd worn around my breasts had protected them. I dried them carefully. They were still relatively small but I was proud of them, all my own work plus some help from conjugated oestrogens. I wondered how I was going to talk my way out of this discovery by my hostess.

Hardly anyone knew of my preparation to eventually transition as a woman. My doctor did, she'd given me the hormones on the advice of a local psychiatrist. That was six months ago, and at last the effects were beginning to happen apart from the initial morning sickness, which had now passed. I was growing boobs, my waist was smaller and I think my bum was a bit bigger, but that could be wishful thinking.

My university professor knew about things and was pretty laid back about it, provided it didn't interrupt my studies. I had a bachelor's degree and was reading for a masters. I planned to change over after that when I found out the uni would alter the name on the degree diplomas. Then I'd need to find a job.

As I finished dressing a hand holding a towelling robe came around the door. "This might be useful," said the voice from outside. I took it with a muted thanks.

I looked down at my painted toenails and blushed. It was always a risk that someone would see them, now it was a certainty. My shaven legs, well I'm a cyclist - they all do it. I drew on the robe and tied up the belt, it emphasised my relatively small waist and protruding chest. I took a deep breath and opened the door.

"Like the colour," she said.

I looked confused and asked, "What?"

"The toe nails," she smiled. I just blushed to the roots of my long fair hair.

"Cuppa? I've just made one."

I nodded and she led me down the stairs to a comfortable dining room.
As we sipped the tea, she smiled at me and said, "I suppose I'll have to do a claim form for your bike."

"Yes," I agreed.

"I'll need you name and address," she continued, "and the value and damage to the bike."

"The bike's worth about four grand."

"What!" she exclaimed, "A bloody push bike, four thousand. You're joking?"

"Fraid not," I replied, "It's a top of the range Scott carbon fibre."

"Christ that's more than my car is worth!"

"Sorry, but I didn't ask you to hit me off it."

"Well I couldn't see you in the rain, it was so dark and you didn't have any lights on."

"It was day time and sunny when I set out," I argued, "I didn't need lights, besides if I had been using them, they could have hiked the repair bill up a few more hundred."

"I don't believe this. Your stuff is dearer than a car's."

"Depends on the car, but yes it can be, depending on the bike of course. Top of the range Trek is worth nearly six grand. My racing skins are about a hundred quid, too."

"What for a bit of lycra?"

"Well lycra in the team strip of Saunier Duval, yeah!"

"Bloody hell!"

"Sorry," I piped apologetically as I could see she was working out what things would do to her insurance premium. "I know the back wheel is smashed and the tyre is wrecked but until the bike has been examined, I won't know what the damage is and how much your insurance is going to have to pay out."

Now she blushed and looking at the table she said quietly, "I might have a slight problem there."

"You are insured?" I asked feeling a sudden coldness sweep over me.

"Not exactly," she said so quietly I could hardly hear her, almost lip reading it. Then she began to sob and I felt helpless, so I cried as well.

"What are we going to do?" she asked eventually.

"I don't know, but somehow I've got to get home and I can't go like this;" I pointed to the bath robe.

"Your cycling stuff is all wet and torn, you can't wear that."

"If I can use your phone I might be able to get a friend to bring me some stuff."

"The line is out of order and my mobile is out of credit." She shrugged her shoulders.

"So what am I going to do?"

"You'll have to borrow some of my stuff, we're not too different in size. I get the impression it won't be the first time you've worn womens' clothes."

Now it was my turn to blush, and I went a deep scarlet and felt very warm.

She nodded at my chest, "I don't know many boys who have a cleavage," I glanced down and drew the edges of the robe together. "Hormones?" she asked and I nodded.

"We had a student nurse who was a trannie, used to turn up in drag at any opportunity. A bit over the top with his make up and clothing, mini skirts and white stilettoes, looked a bit of a tart."

I felt myself blushing again, "I'm not a transvestite," I said trying to keep calm.

"No, why you growing tits then?"

"I'm transsexual and eventually I'm intending to live as a woman."

"What have a sex-change operation?" she said her eyes growing larger.

"Eventually."

"You won't be able to ride your bike for a few weeks then," she said dead pan.

"What?" I said and caught the twinkle in her eye, then began to chuckle. She did too. "No, you're probably right," I said as we both laughed.

After talking some more she suggested we find some clothes for me to wear. She led me to her bedroom. "What size are you?"

"Twelve," I answered.

"Crikey, you are the same size as me. Do you wear a bra?"

"Depends on what clothes I'm wearing. I don't under my boy stuff."

"No I saw the bandage. I don't have any boy clothes, so maybe you'd better try one of these," she handed me a black bra. I turned my back and after removing the robe put it on. "Wow, a man who can put on a bra properly, most of them can't get them off let alone on!"

I blushed and said, "I don't actually see myself as a man."

"No, perhaps not. Let's see then."

I picked up the robe and held it covering my waist and below.

"That's a B-cup, you nearly fill it, here pop these foam pads in they'll help."

I took them from her and asked, "Do you have any knickers I can borrow," and coughed.

She laughed and said, "Oh yeah, course," and pulled a black pair out of a drawer.

I thanked her slipped them up my legs and tucking myself between my legs, pulled them up tight. I then positioned the pads in the bra, my breasts nearly filled the cups with their help.

"Jesus, if I didn't know, I'd think you were a woman," she said looking at me critically.

"I am," I replied, "It's just the plumbing that needs fixing."

up
247 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Super Writing Angharad!

...for onthe fly writing, this ranks great! Great everything!: plot, characters, mood, environment... all of it! Although I would have hoped, Especially in the UK, that car drivers mandatorally had car insurance in order to even get behind the wheel. Oooohhh. That is going to hurt our herione.....

Hugs

Sephrena Lynn Miller

Not surprising

Insurance or proof of the ability to pay -- I forget what the minimum is -- is required to drive In Wisconsin -- we are a *no fault* state. You are also suposed to carry a valid drivers licence and drive a registed vehicle. Yet I worked with lots of folks in autoparts and retail who drove with revoked licences, no insurance and no assets worth suing for.

Great stuff so far. I hated rain too when I used to ride. Thanks for plugging Trek -- made 40 miles west of me in Waterloo.

I say, go for the happy ending. Get the nurse arrested for trying to conceal a moving violation, sue her butt off, take her car and home and leave her to walk the streets.

Ahhhh! I've been posessed by a personal injury lawer. Call an exocist!

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

re: Not surprising

What's happy about that John? A happy ending would be the nurse and the biker are both attracted to each other and eventually get together and the nurse through her contacts in the hospital gets the biker's op moved up. Now that's a happy ending.

Nothing in Life is Free, if the cost is not monitary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

National Estimates

The number of uninsured vehicles on the U.S. highways is on the rise and stands at around 16%. It is a statement of lack of will on the part of the government to enforce the law, because it would be a simple matter to interface insurer's computers with the government to identify those who aren't carrying proper insurance.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

When I got knocked off ...

... by an uninsured, unroad-taxed, unMoT'd driver in the UK 20 years ago, the Motor Insurer's Bureau coughed up the £1000 or so I needed to replace my custom-built bike frame and my kit. Fortunately I was on my way home from work so the Union paid for a solicitor, so it wasn't all bad, though I missed the 300km event I'd been due to ride the following weekend :o(

Aardvark - in the UK, motorists are required to drive in such a way as to be able to stop in the distance they can see to be clear. If the obstruction hadn't been a cyclist but a slow moving tractor and trailer or a large stray farm animal the consequences may have been more serious for the driver.

I wonder if transgenderism is common amongst British cyclists? A transgendered woman used to race a trike; Robert Millar, a former winner of the polka dot jersey in the Tour is said to be living as a woman in SW England; a Lancashire cyclist I knew slightly is also transgendered. I wonder if it's the ability to shave ones legs without raising suspicion :o)?

To the main issue - this brave attempt is still maintaining its momentum. I'd prefer longer episodes, but that's because I'm not a fan of serials rather than a fault of the writer.

Geoff

Shaving one's legs is only one advantage

Yes, cyclists can do that without raising suspicions. I have to admit, my cycling was a welcome excuse to start doing it. But cycling is also a lot of fun at times, especially after a rather long marathon.

Anyway, I need to praise the authoress too. Angharad you started an excellent series. I really love it, and even feel with you protagonist. I can hardly wait for the next part.

Saphira
--
>> There is not one thruth only out there. <<

--
>> There is not one single truth out there. <<

Odd...

I'm surprised that a nurse who has met a transvestite whilst in training uses the words 'trannie' and doesn't know the difference between one and a transsexual. My sister who's a nurse (sorry Jonny Briggs quote), knew the difference almost before I did and I thought for a while I was one (transsexual not TV). I have no idea if she went looking for information about her odd sibling or if it was covered on her course. (She trained in Scotland.)

Thats all by the by of course, another interesting chapter. :)

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja

Medical training doesn't guarantee an open mind

Or even an inquisitive one. Just based on my experiences, I've discovered the the level of ignorance displayed by various medical professionals in areas outside their expertise or even outside the norm can be as great as the average lay person. Case in point: a couple of years ago I was getting a flu shot and in the course of filling out the paperwork I happened to mention I have CF. The nurse, an RN no less, had no idea what I was talking about and even when I explained that CF stood for Cystic Fibrosis I ended up having to inform her of it's effects and what they meant for a person with the disease.

But I suspect this incident in the story will result in the protagonist getting to do some "show & tell", so to speak. ~snicker!~

Great one, sis!
Karen J.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity." Anonymous


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

re: Medical training doesn't guarantee an open mind

No kidding Karen. The last time I was put in a psyciatric ward, I am a suicidal depressive, they refused to acknowledge me as female and I had to petition the Administrator just to be able to use the ladie's and even then I had to use one that was not being used by other patients. The best part was they never even heard of Harry Benjamin.

Nothing in Life is Free, if the cost is not monitary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Collecting

It has nothing to do with the story, but the protagonist may have a problem collecting for the damage on the bike. If the protagonist was driving in blinding rain and the dark, regardless of whether or not it was day, due to conditions, the appropriate thing to do was to get off the road unless she had the proper equipment (lights at a minimum) and was using it.

I imagine that in US traffic court, they would fine the nurse for not having insurance but not award damages to the cyclist because she was not following the law herself -- maybe even give her a ticket for reckless driving (seriously).

Nice sweet story. I have a Trek myself that I did triathlons on. Nothing fancy, steel frame and tube tires, but I put in thousands of miles on it -- and had many a sore butt after long rides. The Tour de France was definitely not one of my life goals. Thanks, whoever you are, who invented gel seats.

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

Reckless not likely

A citation for careless driving would be more proper, as the bike was fit for the conditions expected at the time the rider set out, and changed afterward. If she had set out at night without proper equipment, or under conditions of poor visibility, then her behavior might be considered reckless, but the exact charges would be up to the DA. But neither is likely.

As a former LEO, I can tell you that when somebody is struck from behind the fault is usually (in fact almost always) assigned to the overtaking vehicle, regardless of the circumstances. Only if the person struck was behaving in a reckless manner (such as pulling out in front of traffic, which would be a failure to yield to oncoming traffic) would the other vehicle be considered at fault. In this case, the driver of the overtaking vehicle clearly has the responsibility. At least that's how it would be in Oklahoma. A traffic citation for Driving Too Fast For Existing Conditions would be issued, with Careless Or Inattentive Driving citation possible also. The cyclist could be cited for improper equipment, which would normally lead to dueling insurance companies; and ultimately a finding of shared liability would result.

(FYI: In Oklahoma, a bicycle is only required to have a light OR reflector visible to the front and rear.)

But this is in the U.K., so I can't speak for their laws.

Karen J.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity." Anonymous


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

UK rules/laws

The rules and laws governing anybody who uses the road is covered in a rather nice publication called the highway code. Segments dealing with cyclists can be found on: http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/03.htm

Driving without insurance is illegal and not that easy to do if you are the car owner(apart from letting your insurance lapse mid year). You need your insurance to get items such as road tax. If you are involved in an incident with someone driving without insurance there is a fund that will pay the claim - though this would be handled by the claimee's insurance (easier if it is two cars than a car and a cyclist [unless he has specialist insurance])

Hugs

Karen

UK Laws

Thanks for the info, Karen. I figured there might be some differences. Here in the U.S. (in most states) proof of insurance is required for registering or renewing the license tag. The states and Feds nick us for road taxes in other ways rather than a direct tax. But it's entirely possible to get a shortterm insurance policy, get your tag, and let the insurance lapse; then drive for a year or more until caught.

No special funds here, your only recourse is a civil suit. This actually happened to me a few years ago. A young man made a left turn in front of me and we collided, wrecking my little VW. He was underaged and his mother a divorcee with a minimal income. My lawyer advised me there was no use to file a suit against her as we'd never get a dime. I was only carrying the state-required liability (most insurance companies will not write comprehensive policies on vehicles over about ten or so years old unless they are high value vehicles) so my insurance wouldn't pay either. Scratch one 1973 VW Beetle!

KJT

"Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity." Anonymous


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

This is a good story...

and I am sorry that I have been lax in reading a lot, but I have a novel I am working on for publication. My publisher said the first few chapters were good, and let her know when I was finished.

I have read parts 1 and 2, and I think you write very well. I will read the entire series, but my writing comes first. I don't know how I missed this entire series though, but I promise I won't now.

The images and the dialogue are very real to life. Being hit by a car in a drenching downpour is very realistic. I'm going to read part 3 now.

I also read your blog about that you feel you may stop writing and posting.

Please don't stop writing or posting. Take some time off for a bit to enjoy life's pleasures, then come back and write some more. That is what I do when I feel I can't write any more, or that my writing isn't appreciated, or I get writer's block.

But I have enjoyed the first two parts. You are a very talented writer, and it would be a crime if you were to stop writing and posting.

Be strong, because it is in our strength that we can heal.

Love & Hugs,
Barbara

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Welcome Catherine Watts (aka)

Welcome Catherine Watts (aka) Cathy Watts, (aka) soon to be known to all of us as "Lady Catherine Cameron"; mistress of Help; and agee that is now a whole person, yet it seems among friends, and Cathy will not willingly be closeted again.

To keep a job don't care too much

Rhona McCloud's picture

No surprise that Stella isn't the most sensitive of observers. Nurses and teachers split into those who care too much and burn out and those with the manners of an armoured tank.

Rhona McCloud

Addicting, you say? And it's no wonder...

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

Start with a TS woman in transition, and every single contrived and tired-out TG trope that attempts to make plausible or palatable the stuffing of an unwilling protagonist into a skirt becomes immediately and completely irrelevant. Add to this premise a situation possessing elements that actually happen in Real Life™, with ramifications that are just as ambiguous as they often are in Real Life™; and dialogue that reads the way people actually speak in Real Life™… In two brief parts I am already hooked, and I say it is no wonder.

I think the most common advice offered to new authors is “Write what you know!” This goes to Suspension of Disbelief: in general, the less SoD asked of an audience, the better. Write about characters and a universe that bear no resemblance to anything familiar, and create your own rules (so long as they are internally consistent). Write about human beings (and other familiar creatures) that occupy a known time and place on Earth, and they had better behave within reasonable bounds for the given situation and for their nature, or the audience may well take insult and depart in disgust.

Louisa May Alcott is still widely read (in spite of her constant moralizing) because she described the interesting lives of ordinary people who exhibited an uncommon day-to-day heroism. Most of her stories are barely fictionalized accounts of real people and events, sometimes with only the names changed. Henry Rider Haggard’s African romances are amazing because it is hard to know where the (historically accurate) background material leaves off, and the fiction begins. His settings are authentic because he was present in South Africa to witness the inter-tribal conflicts, the Zulu-Anglo wars, and the conflicts between Dutch and British colonists (such as the voortrekkers) that eventually lead to the Boer Wars. So far, Bike has a very similar feeling of the sort of reality that comes from experience.

I am interested and amused to note that most of the discussion here in the comments section for this part read much more like the comments that usually follow an online news story than they read like the usual commentary that follows TG fiction at these various sites. I think that’s brilliant. :}

in response to the comments

I'm not sure of laws in GB,but in most US states, bikes are a vehicle, and should obey all vehicle laws. But in reality, no local police dept enforces them with re-guard to bicycles. Especially in Massachusetts.

Carbon Fiber Scott?!?

Wow - you were riding a carbon bike in 2007? You are one serious dude...I mean, girl, I mean....cool! I hope this is fiction and you really didn't get hit by a car.

Janice