A Glass Half-Full (Chapter 11)

Printer-friendly version

(Removed to make Glass available via Kindle Unlimited)

up
104 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I haven't been able to give

I haven't been able to give kudos for a while (on this computer, cloudflare is locking up every time I try to load a page), so I definitely had to leave a comment.

I'm _very_ glad you're back and writing again - looking forward to the rest of the tale (and the next three.. or more)

BW


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Very happy to see this continue...

Very happy to see this continue...

Do hope you release the next segment soon... darn cliff-hangers...

Let the flames of inspiration blaze within, and the sky be less of a limit, and more of a challenge

Great to see this tale continued

but of course I'm going to have to read from the start to make any sense of the new chapter. Oh no, such a chore ;-)

Well damn, this was a

Well damn, this was a cliffhanger. It seems the forces of heaven are playing a weird game. First David and his former girlfriend. Who apparently cancelled their relationship to get more drama into their lives (okay cynical) and now she gets roasted by a deamon. How did that happen anyway? I guess I'll need to reread it or something.

Um... I thouht you wanted to publish this on Amazon. What happened to that plan?

Anyway, thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi

Nice!

I hope the next part doesn't take as long. :)
hugs
Grover

A Glass Half-Full has been in progress for about a decade

I am so happy it is moving forward again.

Bless you. Though CURSE YOU as I will have to reread it all to make sense of it,

GRRRR!

-- GRIN --

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

For the record, this is one

thliwent's picture

For the record, this is one of my favorite stories and when it stopped I was shattered.

When I saw an update today... I giggled like a schoolgirl.

And then I read it and want MORE.

New Record?

terrynaut's picture

This series has certainly been running a long time. I'll still keep watching and hoping for more chapters though. I thoroughly enjoy this story. Dawn is one of my favorite characters.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Super Yay!

Ignore the haters. I love this series, it's an epic contemporary fiction in the Susan Cooper mode.

Thanks for being awesome and continuing to share.

So... When the Dark comes

So... When the Dark comes Rising, Six shall turn it back?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Yes!

That series was one of my early favorites, along with Lloyd Alexander's Prydain stories, the Narnia series, and a handful of other early fantasy sagas.

When the Dark comes rising six shall turn it back;
Three from the circle, three from the track;
Wood, bronze, iron; Water, fire, stone;
Five will return and one go alone.

Iron for the birthday; bronze carried long;
Wood from the burning; stone out of song;
Fire in the candle ring; water from the thaw;
Six signs the circle and the grail gone before.

Fire on the mountain shall find the harp of gold
Played to wake the sleepers, oldest of old.
Power from the Green Witch, lost beneath the sea.
All shall find the Light at last, silver on the tree.

God, I need to unburry these

God, I need to unburry these books from my bookshelf and reread them. Maybe thrice :)

This was one of my favourite fantasy series. Even if the end was a bit disappointing.

Kristin, will you also use some non-magical protagonist like darkness rising did, or is this basically about magical people?

If it gets there

The police officer, Tom, plays a larger part in the second book. And while he now wields Whispering Wind, he's got no magic of his own. But other than that, the planned stories are very much about this 'secret world' and as Dawn explained: the world has a tendency to 'fix' things in ways that most people don't become aware of it. A bit like how you remember dreams. You know that the dream was a serious of insane images, emotional moments, etc... but you remember it almost in a story context, or like watching a film. Dreams rarely play out like that... but its the best/simplest way for our conscious mind to interpret and make sense of the subconscious experience of a dream. We fill in the blanks, blunt the edges on the emotional extremes... and in the world of these stories, the rational mind deals with experiences with the supernatural in the same way. Even, sometimes, for believers.

So that means that there won't be many non-magical protagonists involved. Mostly, like in Harry Potter; the magical world happens all around them... and they just don't see it.

don't think its haters

I don't think anyone's 'hating' ... they all just want to smack me in the face for taking two or three years between chapters. Which is understandable. I mean, seriously, look at how people feel about R.R. Martin's delays between books. It's the same sort of thing, interruption of a story that they want to see finished... of course, the difference is that he's selling millions of copies. Any I'm... not. :)

Selling

I would gladly pay 30$ for a story like this.

But please please, i beg of you, dont wait 4 more years for another chapter, not with a cliffhanger like that. I can probably wait 1 or 2 more hours.

The story is so great that when i saw this chapter, i re-read the whole thing.

30? Nah

Well, if I do get things rolling for the Amazon publishing thing; it'll be more like 3 or 4, not $30. But mostly, the stories will be more 'mainstream' urban or high fantasy without TG elements. That'd be the only way to get the volume of sales to make it a viable job instead of just something I do when time and inclination sync up.

But I'll take the willingness to pay $30 for this story as the compliment I'm sure you meant it as. :)

Actually it is worst for non-paid authors

Since people do not have any money vested in the previous chapters it is a little cheaper to say 'ferget about it' and move on. So if the non-paid author wants to have as much of an audience as possible (and hopefully a bubbling sea of discussion that a story with momentum brings) it really behooves them to be more productive about it as the reward is an active discussion instead of people scratching their heads and shrug. OTOH if the author can live without that *shrug*

Ellen Haye's Tuck is like that for me. She wants contributions but her output is *meh* and consequently momentum is lost and she has lost some fans (like me) who get tired of waiting. Now it is my understanding that it is not necessarily all her fault but Ellen does do the my-way-or-the-highway thing when it comes to her works. That is her privilege but there is a price for that kind of control.

No, the absolute worst are

No, the absolute worst are people like Pete Abrams (Sluggy Freelance).

Paid for their work, claim to be 'professional', but have no buffer, no emergency plan in place, and have the absolute gall to think that's how it should be. (Compared to, say, Howard Taylor, who has only missed a day by a few hours in YEARS, and that's when we had a complete server meltdown - I then had to move the strip to another hosting provider while repairing the problem) Even better, compare to Bill Holbrook, who has been running up to four strips at a time on a daily basis for decades (I think it's been 20 years for one or two of them)

I detested 'T-Shirt Guy' so much I just stopped reading the strip completely.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

The voice of experience

Is thus heard. Server failure or other extenuating circumstances are always a possibility, and professionalism is always appreciated. I remember the 3AM calls when I was working for hosting in Philly. I don't envy you that.

And there's reasons why everyone loves Sluggy and Baen picked them up. Art is hard, and creativity is a skill and a talent, but if it's your job, there are expectations. There's respect for the people who can deliver.

wow , what a cliffhanger

I really don't know what I want to see first, chapter 12 of this or part 3 of "Like a Brick" please don't leave us hanging long.
really great job here. thanks