Rhapsody in (T)G Major ~ Part 8

Printer-friendly version

Part Eight: Give Me a Cheer!


Rhapsody in (T)G Major ~ Part 8


Bethany giggles and I say, “Remember, we know the truth. They don’t know the complete truth, although Emily will have SOME subconscious knowledge. We will have to go with the flow…”

Bethany nods and the group of five girls in pink comes over to the table. Emily speaks up, “Hello, girls…” They all sit and none of the other ‘cool girls’ object, so it seems that the ladies in pink are a accepted part of our elite group.

I speak up and say, “Hey, Emily. Looking great, as always.”

She looks over at me and has a haunted look in her eye. She nods and says, “Thank you, Layla. Do you have a minute to talk before practice?”

That is when I figure out that Emily and the other (new) girls are all a part of the cheer squad…the jackets are their ‘status emblem’. I say, “Sure, let’s meet at the back exit after last period. I am walking home today, so I can hang around for a few minutes.”


I wait at the back door and listen to Jayda on my phone. After a few minutes, Emily shows up in her cheerleading uniform. Somehow, I just ‘know’ a detail now… I smile and say, “Congrats, Emily! I hear you will be cheer captain when Sheena graduates this year. That is quite an accomplishment.”

She blushes and says, “Ummm…thank you. But that is not what I wanted to talk to you about… You are the head of the LGBT society, right?”

I nod and think to myself, “Another thing that I didn’t know until just now…” I say, “Yes, I believe strongly in everyone feeling safe and comfortable in making the right choices for themselves. Why do you ask?”

She shuffles her feet. Finally, she says, “Well…I may…have some…issues…”

I stand there quietly, biting my tongue…

She continues and says, “First, I really have the hots for you. I…I…I guess that makes me a lesbian? And…and…and… I feel like I may be boy inside… I can’t explain it and I am sure you don’t understand…”

I giggle and say, “I understand better than you might think.” I glance at the very feminine, sparkly ring on her right ring finger. I ask, “So…are you asking for help, a date, or both?”

She blushes and says, “Well, mostly help… But…you would consider a date? I didn’t think you were actually, well…you know…?”

I smile and ask, “A lesbian? Well, technically, I am not. I am bi, I think. I haven’t REALLY explored my sexuality yet… I would be open to a date or two to find out, though. As for your other ‘issue’, I know some people you can talk to. Being transgendered, if that is indeed what you are, is a terrible thing from what I hear. There is hope, though…”

She smiles and looks deeply into my eyes. I still see the haunted look of Edward, hopelessly trapped in Emily’s body, in her eyes. She asks, “So, maybe after practice?”

I say, “Well, I have plans with Bethany and Lewis. If you don’t mind a double date?”

She gives me a shocked look and asks, “You don’t think they would care…? And I am not sure I am ready to go ‘public’ yet…”

I shake my head and say, “I can guarantee you that they won’t care. And we can downplay it as ‘we are just going out to have some fun’. We will see where it goes from there. Beth and Lew will be cool about it…and discrete…until you are ready… I promise.”

She nods and agrees to meet me at my house at five and hurries off to practice. I watch her, Rhonda, Misty, Carol, and Gemma practice their cheers among the other ‘real’ cheerleaders for a bit. To think that just a few hours ago, these were all homophobic boys… Now they are all in a girl’s body… It remains to be seen whether they will see the light, though…


The doorbell rings at a few minutes before five. I check myself in the mirror and make sure that I have some extra tampons in my purse. I hurry down and get to the door just as Mom answers it. I say, “Mom, you remember Emily, right? She is going to hang out with Beth, Lew, and me at the mall. Then we are going to watch a movie. We will be back by ten. My homework is done.”

Mom smiles at Emily in her cheerleading outfit and says, “Of course I remember the best cheerleader on the squad. I hear you will be next captain?”

Emily blushes and says, “Yes, Ma’am. I hope I can lead the squad as well as Sheena.”

I say, “You will be great at it, Emily. I am sure. Bye, Mom! We need to go…”

We hurry the three houses down to Bethany’s house. On the way, Emily says, “I hope you don’t mind that I am still in uniform. Practice ran late. Are you sure they won’t mind?”

I giggle and say, “For a future captain, you sure are insecure.” I think to myself, “Nothing like Edward…” I say, “You look great in that uniform and, yes, I am sure they won’t mind.”

I ring the doorbell and Bethany opens the door almost immediately. She says, “Hi, girls! Come on in. Lew will be here in a minute. He is running a tad late… I guess there was a ‘discussion’ between him and his brother about who would get the car tonight. He won.” She giggles and says, “I am glad you decided to come, Emily. I always feel bad for Layla when she goes out with us—all alone… You know that I am a stark supporter of the LGBT society, as is Lew, so…don’t worry about us. K?”

Emily nods and says, “Ummm…sure… I am not ready to out myself, though. This can stay between us? I just am not ready for the consequences of letting it be known. Gregory and his anti-LGBT thug league can be so mean…”

Bethany just nods and says, “Tell me about it! But, you know, things have a way of coming back around on people like that.”

Beth and I giggle. Emily gives us a funny, almost hurt, look. I say, “No, Hon. We are not laughing at you. It is a bit of a private joke.”

Lewis pulls up that moment and the three of us hurry out to the car. Beth gets in front and Emily and I get in the back. Beth leans over and gives Lew a kiss. I just take Emily’s hand and give it a squeeze.

Lew looks in the mirror and whistles. He smiles and says, “Wow, I feel like I am with a harem! I will be the envy of the joint, tonight! You two look HOT! Err…so do you, Babe!”

Beth slaps his arm and I giggle and say, “In your dreams lover boy. Now, to dinner, James!”

He shakes his head and takes off. We get to the local teen hangout in about ten minutes and Emily sits there, undecided on whether to get out. I say, “Come on, Emily. We will have fun. No one is going to know we are on a date.” I gently grab her hand and pull her out.

We find a large round booth and Emily sits between Beth and I. Everything is going fine until Rhonda, Misty, Carol, and Gemma walk in. Emily stiffens up immediately. The group of four see us and come over. Rhonda says, “Hi guys! Fancy meeting you here! Do you mind if we join you? You have plenty of room and there aren’t any more seats.”

Lew says, “Sure, the more the merrier, I always say!” He wiggles his eyebrows at Beth and sits back smugly enjoying being surrounded by seven REALLY pretty girls. I squeeze Emily’s hand under the table—something that does not go unnoticed by Rhonda. To her credit, she doesn’t say anything, though.

I gaze at the four new girls and notice the same haunted look in Carol and Gemma’s eyes as is in Emily’s. Rhonda and Misty, though, seem to be at complete peace with themselves. I smile and think I have an answer as to why Ralf and Mark were a part of Edward’s posse. The best disguise is to hide among the enemy… I have a feeling that Rhonda and Misty may be here to stay…

Carol notices that I am holding Emily’s hand under the table and asks, “So…are you two an item?”

Emily blushes and tries to take her hand back. I gently, but firmly, hold onto it and ask, “Would that be a problem, if we were? I can tell you for sure that Emily and I are not an item. I am just consoling her on a personal issue, but would it be so bad if we were?”

Carol and the rest all shake their heads. Gemma speaks up and says, “Look, I know you are the head of the LGBT society, so that raises flags when you are with anyone. You are always so hard to read about your own…persuasions… though, while you openly and staunchly stand up for others. None of us in this group has an issue with anyone in that capacity…”

I look at Carol and Gemma and ask, “I can see that… So, is there anything else you want to say?” Carol looks at Gemma and she nods. Carol speaks up, “Well…ummm… Gemma and I are sort of an item… I…I…I am only interested in girls, at the moment, for whatever reason. Gemma…”

Gemma takes over the conversation, “I… Well, I am a boy. I am sure of it. I guess that means that I am TG, right? I am strongly attracted to Carol. But, it is a bit of an enigma. If I am really a boy and she is really a lesbian, how does that work? What does that make me?”

I roll my eyes and ask, “Do you really like each other?” They both nod their heads without hesitation. I ask, “Then why are you worried about labels…? It is the result that matters, right?”

They both give me a shocked look and then smile. Gemma says, “I can see why you are the head of the group… I think you should become a shrink, or something…”

Beth says, “Nope! She is definitely going to be a famous pop star!”

Rhonda giggles and says, “I have no doubt, with a voice like that! Carol, Gemma, you know that you just outed yourselves to this group. Does that mean you are ready to go public? You know that Misty and I are as straight as they come; but you also know that we have NO problem being associated with you as a couple.” She looks at Emily and says, “And something tells me that Em won’t have a problem, either…”

Emily blushes bright red and quietly says, “No. I have no problem with that…”

Carol and Gemma both look at each other and shrug. Carol kisses Gemma in full view of anyone looking and asks, “Is that good enough?”

Beth and I giggle at Lew’s face. Rhonda says, “I think that will do… So, Em… Is there anything YOU want to get out in the open?”

I squeeze her hand in encouragement. This was not planned, but it is definitely leading her down the right path…

Em, as I now know her best friends call her, tries to shrink below the table. Finally, she says, “OK… I am not really ready for this… But…well, I am sort of in the same shoes as Gemma. I mean, I think I MAY be a boy… I am not sure… What I DO know is that I am REALLY attracted to Layla… She agreed to give it a chance and see where it goes… What I ALSO know is that I don’t want to be fodder for Gregory’s anti-LGBT campaign…”

And right on cue… Gregory walks in…

up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Seems like a never ending

Seems like a never ending stream of jerks in Layla's life. Wonder if she has more than one ring to use, or if she gets the ring from Edward to use on Gregory, does that reverse what has happened to Edward and his cronies?

Gregory only exists because...

Edward left a void when he became Emily...

So, yep... It all depends on what ultimately happens to Edward and his cronies...

Interesting twist

Bobbie Sue's picture

Shauna,

As always, you stop at very good places.

Bobbie Sue

Well, I have to...

...keep up interest as best I can... *GIGGLE*

HUGS!

Life is a vicious circle.

It seems one group has met their fate, and now another group is on the prowl for trouble. Oh well, we will see just where Gregory and his ... friends end up. This is a good chapter.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."