Nowhere To Go... But Here - Chapter 6: Memories

Printer-friendly version
Chapter Six
Memories

“Working on a house for my kids to live in is backbreaking work. But because they need a place now, I have to do it,” said a man named Mr. Greenfield.
“I remember when my children were born, Cory was my first. I remember the day. When I heard them say 'It's a boy', I jumped for joy because I was a proud father.” He kept working on the building.

“It is always nice when you become a father, and a father again when you have a second,” said George, one of the workers of the house. “I believe it's about the same when you become a mother.”

Mr. Greenfield chuckled, “Yeah, but I wouldn't know that, because I am not a woman.”

They both laughed.

Mr. Greenfield sighed. “I sure wished I could have taken Cory out hiking and fishing when he turned five years old, but I couldn't do that. I had to leave him and Mikayla.”

“Don't worry about it now.” George patted dad on the back. “You have your children now. You can always take your son out fishing and hiking here.”

“Yeah, but Cory isn't my little boy anymore.” Mr. Greenfield sat down on a bench. George sat next to him. “The reason why I left Terra and the kids was because I found out Rita was a Goahirian.”

“Oh, that's got to be tough on you.”

“It's tough on Cory now.” Mr. Greenfield sighed some more.

“George was a bit confused.”

“You see, Cory had half Goahirian DNA. The only way to have it removed was...”

“Oh, I see,” George gazed at James in silence. “Hey, you might have lost your son, but you gained another daughter. Besides, you can still take him... I mean her out to go hiking and fishing. She hasn't died and she is still the same person she was before.”

They both were about to have lunch, when another man came rushing up.

“James,” the man yelled. “We need you in the hospital, it's Courtney.

“Oh dear god!” Mr. Greenfield jumped up and started running to his car.

~o~O~o~

In the hospital, I was laying in the bed watching a movie called “Space Zombies from Planet Blorp” when someone stepped into the room.
I glace up and saw my own father. I can't believe he's here. I was so delighted. I haven't seen him in over seven years. But I am a bit mad at him for leaving us. I understand now. I hated it that he didn't tell us where he went.

“Daddy!!” I screamed. I tried to climb out of bed. “Ow!”

I held my stomach. I couldn't get out. It hurt. I guess the adracot I ate causes the pain. Daddy walked over to me and gave me a hug.

“Owwy!” I cried.

“You're a big girl, you shouldn't be crying,” dad noted.

“I am a boy!” I whined.

“Sorry to say this to you, but you look like a girl to me.”

“No, I look like Mikayla,” I grunted.

At that same moment, Mikayla ran into the room.

“Courtney, are you...?” She stopped when she saw dad. She didn't know who he was. She stood there and stared up at him. Mikayla has never seen dad before. Well, actually she did, but at two years old at the time. Usually no one would remember who someone looked like at that age. I sure wouldn't. Luckily, I was five years old when he left. I remember what he looked like, even though it has been seven years.

We had a long time talking. I had to explain to Mikayla that he was daddy. It took a lot of convincing before she understood. During the visit, we played a game. It was this new card game I never played before. The game's name is called spit.

I won a few times, and Mikayla won at least twice. It was challenging, but I had fun playing the game.

The game was created by King Calvin of Bermin. He was their third king. Bermin is a small country on Saclaurilia. We live in the country of Grandi, east of Bermin.

~o~O~o~

I finally got out of the hospital a few days later. I was considered normal again. I was glad for that, because the house daddy was making was finished. Which means we can finally move in, but we didn't have any furniture.

“Daddy, where is all the furniture?” I asked when I stepped into the kitchen.

“They are being delivered as we speak,” he pointed out. I gazed out the window. No one was there.

“How can they deliver it?” I was puzzled. “I don't even notice a moving van.”

The doorbell rang. A man was at the door, which I opened. The man was friendly. He had a smile on his face.

“I got a delivery for Mr. Greenfield,” he chimed.

“Um, come on in,” I said, confused. The man stepped into the living room. “Where is all the furniture that was supposed to come?”

The man chuckled and then threw a small capsule of some sort on the ground. Right away, it opened up, and a couch came out of it. I was shocked.

“How...?”

He threw another capsule and it did the same thing, but this time it was a lamp.

“Where is the TV?” I asked? He took out a remote and pointed it to the wall, which turned on the TV in the wall. I smacked myself in the head. “Why didn't I think of that?” Everywhere I go, the TV is hidden. Even at the hospital. I guess it's an easy way to keep your TV from being stolen. “Wish they had that on Earth.”

“Earth?” the man asked. He talked into a small device on his arm. “Where is Earth?”

The next thing I hear is a lady's computer voice speaking from that device. “Earth...” It spoke. “Earth, also known as Terra, is the third planet from the Star called Sol, the densest planet in the Sol System, the largest of the Sol System's four terrestrial planets. A part of a Galaxy called 'The Milky Way' This planet is inhabited by 'Terran' or 'Earthlings' and many non-terranean, like Goahirian and Saclaurilians. It is the youngest inhabited planet in the universe.”

The man eyed me for a second, and then continued his job. I gaze at him with those capsules. Is he Merlin from Sword in the Stone, or did the whole idea come from the show Dragon Ball? I must have not been paying attention, because the man left and the house was filled with the furniture that wasn't there before.

I ran upstairs. I didn't know which room was mine. It didn't take long. On a door read, 'Courtney's Room'. I went into the room and saw the prettiest room I have ever seen. It was light blue, like the colors of Cinderella's dress. It was a princess style room. I even noticed a small cylinder thing on a desk. What was it. I touched it and a hologram screen flashed in the air. “Wow! It's a computer. I wonder if I can touch the hologram?” I thought. Which I touched it. It was almost like a Apple computer, but without a screen or keyboard attached. Plus, it was larger.

“So cool. Way better than those on earth. My friends would be so jealous of me.” Then it hit me. “My friends? I will never see my friends on earth again. I started crying. There were good things about being on another planet, and there were some nasty things. And losing my friends were some of the bad things.

I lay on my new bed. I figured out how to use my computer to make a hologram around my room. I sat there watching animals from earth roam around. It was a bit depressing. I will never see a real live elephant again, except by pictures and holograms. The elephant was one of my favorite animals. Will I find another animal that will replace it?
I doubt it.

I smelt the air. It was food. I ran downstairs and saw the table was filled with lots of foods. Well, at least the food hasn't changed. I sat at the table with my family again. Except this time, daddy. Mommy will not be with us anymore.
I sighed.

up
126 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So it is possible my synapses

So it is possible my synapses quit working and I missed why the mom couldn't go to this other planet with the girls? Just wondering I guess.

Motherly love

Mother will alway be mother no matter who they are. I pity both missing their mommy.