Rainbow Girl - Part 3 - Villain?

Printer-friendly version
rainbow_girl2.jpg
           I prepared myself to be taken out of the taxi and arrested. My salvation was unexpected.

 
Rainbow Girl - Part 3 - Villain?

by Alys


Part 3
 

The huge, tooled up special group policeman looked in through the window of the car. What could I say? What possible explanation could I have for being in this cul-de-sac other than to be visiting someone, and I didn't know anyone apart from my parents here. I searched my mind for a possible way out of certain arrest.

"Um..," I mumbled, looking up at the piercing eyes of my potential arresting officer of the law.

"Well Singh, can you tell me why you are in this restricted area?," the cop asked the driver of my taxi.

I prepared myself to be taken out of the taxi and detained. My salvation was unexpected.

"I'm really sorry officer," said the taxi driver, "I took a wrong turn, the young lady wanted Manor Villas not Manor Road"

"Ah I see," said the policeman stepping back, "that's the next on the left. Be careful about when you turn next time, some policemen and militiamen can be a little too quick to shoot, especially when they see someone who looks like a terrorist", said Mr Huge Ego, staring pointedly at the taxi driver's turban.

Mr Singh reversed the taxi to manoeuvre past the police car and then drove past it and back up to the main road. Once we were out of sight of the police I slumped back in the seat in relief feeling exhausted by the tension and stress.

"Thank you so much for that Mr Singh" I said quietly.

"It's no problem, Miss, if he didn't want to respect me than why should I help him?"

"I'll have to take a little detour to get back to Casnewydd, in case they notice me coming back," continued the driver.

"That's OK, can you drop me back at the station?" I asked.

We went a little further on the road to Casgwent and then turned up past the Gwesty Celtaidd hotel to reach the back streets of Casnewydd.

"You look too young to be in trouble with the police," said Mr Singh after we reached the centre of Casnewydd and the traffic slowed to a crawl.

"I didn't think I'd be in trouble with the police Mr Singh," I responded

He laughed, "Mr Singh sounds so formal, my first name is Amarjit"

"Mine is Enfys", I said in reply

"That's a nice name, is it Welsh?"

"Yes"

"What does it mean?"

"It's the Welsh word for Rainbow. What does your name mean?", I asked

"It means 'forever victorious' but I think my parents must have made a mistake"

"Why?"

"Because I do the lottery every week and never win!", he said, laughing

I laughed along with him and it was such a pleasant sound after the stress of the day. I looked carefully at Amarjit. He looked about forty, he was a little overweight, which I guessed was an occupational hazard of being a taxi driver, having to sit for such long periods. He had an attractive round face with hair that was beginning to go grey at the edges. He wore a large wedding ring.

"There were a lot of police there for a raid, it must have been something big. I suppose it must be that Mudiad terror lot again. They seem to do so much killing and destruction. Poor Gordon Brown, is no-one safe?," continued the driver.

"That wasn't Mudiad," I said interrupting his monologue.

"How do you know, they said on the tele that it was"

"Mudiad isn't a violent group, they are a group for networking information"

"No, it says in the newspapers and tele all the time, it must be them, how do you know anyway?"

"I can't tell you more it might put you in danger, just keep this thought in mind, very soon the government will blame a teenage boy for being involved in the murder. It wasn't him, he was a witness not the killer.

We reached the station. Mr Singh only wanted to charge me for the journey to Langstone village but I insisted on paying for the whole trip and added a substantial tip, as an expression of my relief. He gave me his card and told me to contact him if I ever wanted a taxi again. I bade him farewell and made my way into the station onto the westbound platform.

I was in a quandary about what to do next . At least I knew my parents had fled before the raid. The garage door had been open and the car gone. I hoped that they would have made it to the first safe house. My attention was attracted by an announcement on the platform megascreen. A older man dressed in funeral black with New Hope insignia appeared on the screen

"This is channel New Hope 1, and this is Jonathan Fox, we have an important announcement. Our Welsh correspondent, Einir Williams, has just been granted access to the scene of the murder earlier on today of Gordon Brown, the deputy leader, we are going over to her now..Einir what can you tell us.."

Tne megascreen showed a very attractive young woman in a black skirt and jacket standing outside the disused factory that was too familiar to me.

"Jonathan I am here at a derelict factory on an industrial estate just outside Casnewydd. The murder of Gordon Brown took place less then two hours ago, according to the authorities. They have released some pictures of the murder scene that are very shocking..back to you in the studio to show the pictures that have been released by New Hope militia Welsh section."

The picture on the screen brought the studio announcer back and a new graphic appeared to the side of him on the screen. "Murder scene pictures"

"Thank you Einir we will return to you soon....I have to warn you viewers that the pictures we are about to show you are very graphic and show dead bodies, please look away if you think you will be affected by them"

A series of pictures, similar to the ones I had taken earlier from the train, but from much closer and a different angle appeared. The dead deputy leader slumped on the pole and the other bodies with guns in their hands. The close ups revealed something that I hadn't noticed before in my pictures from further away. All of the supposed murderers were wearing the familiar dragon 'Mudiad' logo on their clothes, either as scarves or as badges. Their faces looked strangely familiar.

"The startling news from these pictures are that the murderers of the Right Honourable Gordon Brown were in fact the missing leaders of the opposition Conservative, Labour, Liberal Democrat, SNP and Plaid Cymru parties. All are clearly shown to be members of the Mudiad terrorist group. We go over to our political correspondent, Alex Smith, outside Parliament now..Alex what has been the government reaction to this incredible development?....."

The train to the west arrived and I jumped on, not completely sure where I was heading but glad to get away from the danger of being too close to the scene of the crime. I found a seat and sat back in it, feeling safe, although I wasn't safe. I noticed that the special broadcast was continuing, I closed my eyes and I listened to it droning on.

"...police and militia are in the process of detaining all leading members of the opposition parties. The controversial Consolidation Act, that will enable Mrs Blair to rule by decree, is now expected to be passed on the hour by parliament. The police have just released this picture obtained by electronic intelligence gathering of a young man who is suspected of being the ringleader of the assassination of Mr Brown. this person is armed and extremely dangerous and should not be approached under any circumstances"

I looked up at the picture, it was me!


To Be Continued...

 
End of Part Three

up
94 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice Work.

You've put together a good futuristic setting for a thriller. Not the usual TG thing. It really draws me in.

This is my comment for all three parts.

marie c.

marie c.

Run, girl, run!

I'm glad the chapters are appearing so frequently!

Oh dear, poor Enfys.

Angharad's picture

I think I'm glad I didn't live in Casnewydd when this happened. You have sown the seeds for how Enfys can't return to being her male self for the time being, but how different is her appearance from his? Enough, I hope. Keep the dystopian tale coming, much enjoyed.

Cofleidiau,

Angharad

Angharad

Rainbow Girl Is In A Pickle Indeed

How long can she run? What will happen now? Very well crafted story of intrigue and mystery set in an alternate reality.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I can't help thinking ...

... you're reading Henry Porter's articles on the surveillance society in the Observer each Sunday. I think he exaggerates but this dystopia is well drawn so far and I'm looking forward to the following chapters. I wonder if this will end up as a Scots v Welsh saga. If so, this cowardly Englishman will offer to stand by and hold the coats ;)

Geoff

I Always Knew

joannebarbarella's picture

That that Blair woman was rotten to the core!! The big question though is who would be insane enough to want to take over Britain in the state that it's in? Afghanistan starts to look attractive. Emigration, anyone? Awaiting the next episode with bated breath,
Joanne

One of the Better...

...dystopian dramas I've read in awhile.

It has all the right paranoid/fascistic elements. Control of the news media, militaristic uniforms for party loyalists, slander of the opposition. And, a clever and somewhat vulnerable protagonist, being hunted.

Keep up the good work!

Just a note on the pace of modern information flow, and what's available to a ruthless fascistic regime these days: Did you know that taxicabs in New York City now have cameras as a deterrent to robbery of the driver? And that automobile manufacturers now include little black boxes in their cars to help defend against lawsuits? Just add a link to the becoming-ubiquitous GPS navigation systems and/or an On*Star-like remote maintenance monitoring system, and oy vey! -- total tracking of every vehicle, and real-time pictures of every taxicab passenger.

Good thing our protagonist has a secret identity!

re: Rainbow Girl - Part 3

Yes, I really appreciate how different the setting is for this story. A good Orwellian conspiracy is always fun, too, of course :)

V for Vendetta

This story reminds me very much of a movie called 'V for Vendetta' which I found very disturbing and actually quite real. I don't really consider myself being paranoid, but certain developments here in europe are surely leading into that direction.

Still it is a great story, and definitely worth the read. Please keep it going Alys. Maybe some more people are waking up...

A thinking Saphira
--
>> There is not one truth only out there. <<

--
>> There is not one single truth out there. <<