Rainbow Girl - Part 9 - Revelations

Printer-friendly version
rainbow_girl2.jpg
          

"So you're a boy pretending to be a girl!" he yelled, "That's disgusting, and I thought you were my girl friend!"


 

Rainbow Girl - Part 9 - Revelations

by Alys

Part 9


 

I sat back on the sofa in utter shock.

What was I to do? My parents would be executed in twenty four hours unless I gave myself up. Maybe they would be killed whatever I did and what would my fate be? I would be tortured no doubt using something akin to the 'water-boarding political remediation method' as the militia so pleasantly renamed something that even the Spanish Inquisition used to call 'Torture with Water'.

"Those poor parents and their son," said Hywel looking at the TV.

"What do you want to eat Enfys?" he asked turning to look at me.

I didn't respond, I just sat there staring at the TV screen, which by now had replaced the images of my battered and bruised Mum and Dad with one of the usual evening staple diet of reality TV programmes.

"Welcome back to Big Sister and today in the two hundredth day of series twleve we have found out that......................"

"What's wrong Enfys?" asked Hywel, " why didn't you answer my question?"

I sat motionless, what could I say, anything I that I gave as an explanation would lose me Hywel's friendship on top of the terrible dilemma I was in.

"Mum do you have any idea what's wrong with Enfys, so suddenly?" said Hywel turning to Mrs Thomas.

"Yes I know what has happened, Enfys has something she needs to tell you and your Father, but you're not going to like it," replied Hywel's Mother.

"Enfys, my dear, let us help you," she said, turning to look at me," but first Hywel and Mr Thomas need to know what is going on"

Hywel sat down next to me and took my hand.

"Please Enfys tell me what has happened to upset you," he pleaded.

I looked at Mrs Thomas, she nodded her assent to me telling Hywel. I looked him in the face and then looked away, fearful of his response.

"It's my parents" I said simply.

"What do you mean, your parents?" asked Hywel.

"The couple who will be executed in twenty four hours. They're my parents"

"I see, so Llyr, the boy they're looking for, is your brother? He is very brave taking on the state, although I don't like his methods, killing innocent civilians is never justified, even if they are not the target," Hywel stated.

"No he doesn't do that. He is not a terrorist, the state is trying to pretend that he is one. But he's not my brother," I said turning to look at Hywel again, he looked very confused after my last statement.

"What do you mean? You said these are your parents but you say that Llyr is not your brother, that doesn't make sense"

"I'm sorry there is no easy way to say this Hywel," I said as I placed his hand on the sofa, stood up and looked at him," I am Llyr"

"What?! That's impossible!" said Hywel in complete astonishment.

"Don't be silly young lady," said Mr Thomas," stop playing these silly games and tell us what is wrong"

I said nothing in reply. Hywel looked at me and then looked at his Mother, who nodded her head.

"It's true Mum? But how come? You're a girl, Enfys," he said.

"Sometimes I'm a boy, sometimes a girl," I responded quietly.

"No way!"

I moved away from him and sat down on a chair next to Illtud.

"It's a precaution, having 2 identities," my parents are in Mudiad the opposition movement," they wanted to protect me if anything went wrong"

"They knew someone who worked in the ID database centre who was able to create new identities for people. It was expensive though. But it was impossible to get another male idnentity. The authorities must have been checking up and the only other option was to be a girl"

Hywel sat back in his chair a range of emotions playing across his face, confusion and anger being the main ones.

"Enfys stop this silliness now, I don't know why you are doing this, you are upsetting Hywel. Anyone can see that you are a girl and not a boy," said Mr Thomas ostentatiously looking at my breasts.

"Ah these," I said indicating my boobs," I've taken hormones to make me look more convincing"

This interchange between Mr Thomas and I suddenly triggered a response from Hywel.

"So you're a boy pretending to be a girl!" he yelled, "That's disgusting, and I thought you were my girl friend!".

He ran off to the toilet and the sounds of him throwing up cut through the silence in the living room.

"I think I'd better go," I said to the others, "I'm really sorry that this has happened.

I got up and walked over to get my bag and my few belongings. I took out the few things I had bought earlier on, while shopping with Hywel, out of their store bags and packed them away in my bag.

"Yes I think you should go," said Mr Thomas," you have caused enough damage here"

I picked up my rather full bag and put it on my shoulder and made for the door.

"Where will you go, my dear?" asked Mrs Thomas.

I shrugged my shoulders.

"Don't go Enfys," said Alun, "stay here and we will think of a way of saving your parents"

"I don't think you can, it's better if I give myself up"

I made my way across the room and noticed that for some reason Illtud was replaying the earlier broadcast with the ultimatum. He was slowing it down and zooming in on something. I wondered why. I walked quickly through the corridor to the front door. I had no idea where I could go, but the least I could do for Hywel, after my revelation was to reduce the danger that my presence would involve for everyone else.

I opened the door and looked out at a grey, wet winter's evening in Caerydd. Maybe I could find some bushes to hide in. I stepped out into the unknown.

"Wait!!" came a shout from inside the house.

I ignored it and turned to close the door.

"It's not your parents!" shouted Illtud running towards me.


To Be Continued...

 
End of Part Nine

up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Rainbow Girl 9, WOW

Alys, What a cliffhanger you have here!! Now to see if Enfys can save the day. Will be interesting to see if Hywel will accept the news.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Suspense

joannebarbarella's picture

First you have me crying. Now you've got me biting my nails. I have to forgive you for Meryl and Celyn. I'm rooting for Enfys now. Don't you dare let her come to a sticky end, do you hear me? Or else!
Hugs,
Joanne

Short but Sweet.

Gwen Now, I understand why your chapters are so short. If they were longer then I'd swoon, or fall out of my chair and hurt myself.
Gwen Brown

Waterboarding

Hell and I thought we were sending our middle eastern terrorist friends surfing or boogie boarding.Ya know like that waves gnarly dude.Thats a terible thing to find out and I thought we were the good guys.Just kidding I'm an infantry vet and I think it's terible to turtore a prisoner of war.Much better to just shoot a terrorist then everyone except the next one loves ya.War stinks but it happens.Great job Alys and I enjoy your writing.