What Maisie Knew: 26. The Noises The House Makes At Night

Printer-friendly version

Here it was, the first time I was ever face to face with an actual ghost, and it was clear as clear could be: She was afraid of me.

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
26. The Noises The House Makes At Night

 

When I was small, I was afraid of bugs and frogs and lizards and things like that. Over and over my father would tell me, "They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

Of course, it never helped. How can you tell if a spider's afraid? It doesn't make a sound, and you can't see its face. Then too, the things move so fast, one second you notice them on the wall and the next second they've jumped halfway up your arm.

Scared or not, they never seemed afraid of me.

On the other hand, here it was, the first time I was ever face to face with an actual ghost, and it was clear as clear could be: She was afraid of me.

Of course, I was afraid of her, too. I was scared to death! I'm still surprised I didn't wet the bed when it happened.

And yet, the confusion and uncertainty on Misty's face didn't make me brave. I couldn't unlock my throat and get any words out. I tried to get a grip on myself.

After a couple gulps of air I managed to clear my throat, and finally croaked out "Marcie."

Then, before she could reply or I could make another sound, there were footsteps in the hall. Another ghost?

In the same moment, Misty and I turned to look toward the sound, then back to look at each other. We were equally startled. She didn't know who it was either!

Then it connected; I knew those fast-approaching feet. "It's my mother," I whispered. The footsteps arrived at my door. The doorknob rattled, then turned. Misty faded out and was gone before the door was even open a crack.

Mom glared at me. Her hair was a mess. She looked like she'd just woken up. When I say she didn't look at all pleased with being awake, I'm putting it mildly. She was loaded for bear. "Who were you talking to?" she demanded. "What in the world were you thinking, using your cell phone at this hour of the night? Was it some boy?"

I gaped at her. What was she talking about? My phone? Why was she talking about my phone? I'd just woken up, too, and her words didn't make sense — they barely registered as words.

"We'll take that phone away from you if you can't be responsible. Where is it? Who were you talking to?" She walked to the middle of my room and looked around her. There wasn't much to see.

"Well?" she demanded. "Answer me!"

I gestured at my backpack. "My ph-phone's in there," I told her. "It's off. I wasn't using it."

She picked up the backpack and fumbled clumsily with it.

"It's in the little outside pocket," I offered, "the one on the strap–" just as she found it and pulled it out.

"It's cold," she said.

"I told you: I wasn't using it."

"I heard you talking. You woke me up."

"I must have been talking in my sleep," I lied. "Sorry."

She drew a heavy sigh and stopped moving. Then she looked down, as if she'd forgotten what she was holding: my backpack in one hand, my phone in the other. She shoved the phone back in its pocket and set my backpack on the floor.

"I'm sorry," Mom said, sounding a little calmer. She came over, sat on the edge of my bed, and took my hand. "I guess I'm still not used to sleeping in a new house. You know all the noises the house makes at night?"

I shook my head.

"No? Oh, it's just the house settling: those creaks and snaps and weird sounds. There's one noise I can't even describe... I don't know what it sounds like or what it is.

"The problem is, that they're just sounds, but they sound like all kinds of things... like somebody opening a door, or footsteps...

"One day when I was here all alone I could have sworn that somebody ran up the stairs. But it was nothing. There was nobody there."

Even though Mom was trying to be reassuring, I could feel the little hairs on my arms standing up in alarm.

"Still, even though I know it's nothing... that it's just an old house... well, you'd think that if it had to settle, it would have been finished and done with it a long time ago... and even though I know that it's nothing, it's keeping me awake at night. Eventually I'll get used to it. You're lucky you don't hear it.

"Anyway... I'd just fallen asleep — finally — and then I heard you... talking... oh–" She looked at my windows, struck by a sudden idea. "Maybe it wasn't even you, maybe some girl was walking by the house, talking to her friend. Maybe she was out there on the sidewalk, and I thought it was you."

She looked in my eyes and ruffled my hair. "I don't think you talk in your sleep. You never did before."

I shrugged.

"So why were you awake?" she asked.

"I don't know," I said. "But I was sound asleep until a couple minutes ago. I like it here. I didn't — I don't hear any weird sounds."

My face felt like it had a wild, guilty look, but Mom either didn't notice or put it down to my just having woken.

"Good," she said. "I'm glad. I like it here too, but I just have to get used to another house's noises. This one doesn't sound like home to me yet."

I smiled. She smiled back, and said good night.

After she left, I lay there for a while, wondering about what happened. When I saw Misty, I thought I was awake, but it could have been a dream. It was exactly like what Maisie said... so it could have been suggestion, you know? She told me about seeing the ghost of Misty Sabatino. I believed it, it made a big impression, and so I dreamed about it that night. When I first woke up, it seemed so real that I could feel the fear on my skin, but now, especially after talking to my mother, it was fading, the way dreams do.

But maybe it wasn't a dream...

I thought about looking around the room and under the bed, but I drifted back to sleep instead...


The next day Maisie was out sick. It turned out to be the flu, and I wondered if maybe she'd just worked too hard last weekend.

When Maisie didn't show up Wednesday, Susan sullenly joined me for lunch. She ate in silence, looking down.

"Susan?" I asked. "If I tell you something, will you promise to not tell Maisie?"

She looked up, but didn't answer. I could see she was interested, but her curiosity hadn't overcome her resentment. "Why don't you want Maisie to know? I thought she was your best friend."

I let that little conversational landmine just slide on by. "This is something serious, and Maisie doesn't take anything seriously."

Susan nodded. "So I'm the serious one."

She wasn't making this easy at all. "Do you believe in ghosts?" I asked.

At first, she wasn't sure how to process that one, but after a couple of chews she said, "Yes, I do." Then she stopped, and turned to me. The full light of her attention was on me, and she got it: she knew exactly what I was saying. "No!" she said in a low voice. "You didn't!"

"I think so," I said, "but I'm not sure." I told her the whole thing: from Maisie's joke to my mother walking in.

"Wow," Susan said, both hands flat on the table. "This is incredible!"

"What do think I should do?" I asked. "Is there anything I can do?"

"I don't know," she answered. "Do you mind if I ask my grandparents about this?"

I was confused. "What? Your grandparents? Why?"

"Yes, my grandparents," she said, as if it was the most natural thing in the world. "They might know something that would help. If it happened to me, I'd go talk to them about it."

"Uh–"

"They're not going to laugh, and they're not going to tell anybody."

"Well, sure, okay then."

"Good!" she said, smiling brightly again.

The old Susan was back.

© 2007 Kaleigh Way

up
167 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Made It Through the Weekend at Least

terrynaut's picture

I made it! I nearly decided to wait until the series was fully posted before continuing to read but I couldn't help myself. The last cliffhanger was too much. I'm glad I didn't wait.

Wow! Cool. I love the guest/ghost appearance. It was a bit strange how Marcie's mother woke up and came so quickly to Marcie's room but I'll get over it. I think it actually added to the surrealism of the chapter.

So now Maisie is out with the flu. I still suspect she has an eating disorder and I suspect she overdid the work at the house. I don't think she has the flu at all. Poor Maisie. She must be the friend who needs help that the psychic mentioned in your previous tale. I hope Marcie can help her.

Thanks so much for this story and please keep up the good work.

Hugs

- Terry

Yes and no

I think it is more than that.

I think Marcie is needed to help her friends, plural. Susan needs help with her parents and maybe with Marcie and Susan's grandparents talking that might do it. Maisie and her mom desparately need help. If Maise has an eating disorder, a sadly common thing in girls with low self esteam and withthis divorce she has that in spades, Maise could be the next Misty.

Marcie's mom needs help coping and accepting her new daugter. And then there is Misty, her guilt-ridden sister and the french teacher. Misty's ghost, if it is a ghost and nor some elaborate trick by Maise, has not passed on, but why? She is unfullfilled on Earth and needs help or so one school of thought would have it. Maybe Marcie can reconcile the three women one last time, get Misty to the afterlife and in exchange Misty grants her full womanhood, that which fate and those pills deneyed her. Misty may never be a mother but maybe she can make it possible for Marcie to be one? Maybe she can even be reborn as Marcie's daughter or as her sisters?

I also wonder, if the split is because the future french teacher teased the twins, niether of whom was overweight then and they took the pills from ther mom? Maybe they were the surviving twin's pills and that is why she feels guilty?
And lately, in helping all these others, possibly also Sister Honoaria and her pompous brother, Marcie is helping herself.

I'm sorry but this is what happens when I go a whole day on almost no caffeen.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Oh John,

I don't think it is just missing the caffine. There is more to it, as you seem to live in Wisconsin; you having Bret Farve withdrawals! (Giggle)
Marcie's adventures are adding to your "pain". This is a really sweet story tho, and I do love it so. I also love to read your comments when you post them.
Take care, A California girl, Hugs, Janice Lynn

Maisie-26

It looks as if Misty just might need Marcie, SHE might be the friend that the psychic was talking about. Then again, it could be Maisie, Susan or Sister Honoria. There are possibilities in each case.
Misty might need Marcie to help her find peace, Maisie needs her to help bond with her Mother, Susan needs Marcie's friendship and Sister Honoria might need Marcie too.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hmmm... Did Susan have her nose...

... out of joint from the mom swapping?

Seems having something she can share with Marcie but NOT Maisie took care of it, if that's the case. I wonder who her grandparents are?

It IS interesting to be gaining another girl in the story, even if she IS a ghost. Or is she? :-)

Thanks, or to quote some characters from Finding Nemo "more, more, more". :-)

Annette