Julina of Blackstone - 084 - Decision, of a Sort

Printer-friendly version

Julina makes a decision in order to help her make a decision

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles, Book 2

by Julia Phillips

084 – Decision, of a Sort


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2018 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
084 – Decision, of a Sort

SENIDET??? Again???”

“What do you mean ‘again’?”

“Hah! It seems to me that every day now, every hour or bell almost, something or someone reminds me of Senidet, or her name is mentioned, or something else happens that brings her to the front of my mind.”

I didn’t know quite why it was happening, but it was. It had been building up it seemed to me over the past week or so.

I was in the Office that morning, the one in my Market Place Mansion, with Davvy and a sweaty Surtree who had just finished his morning session with the Rangers. Sookie was due any moment to discuss my ever-increasing orders with her for beers and wines. And Pyor had asked to see me that morning as well.

There came a knock at the door. I called to whoever it was to come in. When it opened, I was surprised to see Uncle Steef enter.

“Those men of yours at the main door are frighteningly efficient, I have to say.”

I laughed at him, but just a little bitterly: “That idiot Gobitoo has now thrice attempted to come in. He just seems to disregard the ban I and the Town have placed upon him. He tries the other places too – The Frayen over there ...” (I jerked a hand in its direction and all heads turned to look at it through the window) “… the Salon as well and the Tree and the Stoop - even as far down as the Bunkhouse. I know not when he has time to do any gainful work, he must live his life in a saddle for I have now banned him from bacs and any of Blackstone Wagons.”

“Hmmm – he will prove troublesome, I declare. I have met, fortunately only rarely, his sort before. They do not believe normal rules apply to them, they never forget a slight, and they always try to find ways around any situation that they feel offends them. He won’t rest until he has found some way to consider himself superior to you.”

“He shall have a busy life then I deem. He has declared himself against several other people too, Sheriff Fedren, Deputy Suril and Goodman Filagor amongst them. And I had heard that he was also against the Steward and the Assembly for their backing up of my bans and the Sheriff’s enforcement of them.”

“And now you have told me that, I warn you most sincerely that he is even more dangerous. Expect hints to be spread around about some negatives in your character, that’s how those types start. Then he shall start to try to organise some sort of opposition. A few protests against you, perhaps suggesting you have too much influence. He might then open another restaurant and try to undercut you there, or open some hostelry and spread rumours of inefficiencies in yours. It won’t matter to him about actually sticking to the truth and facts.”

“And how do we combat that sort of aggression?”

“You must hope that your qualities speak for themselves. And that therefore these unfounded rumours are proven wrong. Or catch him red-handed as he commits some other act that would discredit him. If the entire Town witnessed his wrongdoing, and laughed at him or destroyed his precious ‘reputation’, he would almost certainly require to remove himself from Town. To start his nonsense again somewhere else entirely and against someone else entirely.”

There came another knock on the door which this time heralded the entrance of Pyor. The introductions were swiftly concluded, all agreed to drop titles and the conversational subject changed to what the men wanted.

There was the to-be-expected spoken dance between the two, and eventually Steef was elected to go first: “Julina, I find I have to visit just north of Haligo to see something about the barges we have ordered. I was hoping that I could hire one of your pack frayen for the trip. I would ride a beast rather than a wagon, for I am required up here as well, and wish to reduce the time of my absence. And not only that, the rains usually start two to three weeks after the Longest Day, I would desire to be back here before then.”

Pyor laughed and jumped in then: “’Tis strange, ’Lina. That is EXACTLY why I am here. I too have to visit just north of Haligo. And I too require a pack animal, for I too desire haste. Don’t tell me Steef, you wish to depart on the morning after the Longest Day? On the 1st?”

“Indeed so, Pyor. Indeed so,” he replied laughing. “Shall we then descend together? ’Twould be more companionable. I was intending to make Tranidor my first overnight, could you manage that distance from up here? I would be starting from the Roadhouse of course.”

“Such a schedule would be tight, but doable I would expect. Perhaps you should await me with say some cheese ’twixt two thin hunks of bread, that I might eat as we progress along the road and not drop sloppy food all over me and my beast.”

“Now that’s a good idea,” I jumped in suddenly, loudly and very enthusiastically. “May I steal that idea and develop it in my catering interests? I deem that might start an entirely new trend.” The more I thought about it, the more keen I became.

Which I deem Pyor picked up on: “With the greatest of pleasure. ’Tis but an idea that I just had, I know not whence it came. Feel free to grab it.” He laughed. “Feel free to take out an Exclusivity Licence if you wish, for all I care. I can do nothing with it.”

“Heard and witnessed!” said Davvy, to a burst of merriment from all around. Davvy was very enthusiastic too, which, she then explained to us all, was because she realised immediately that it would make her task of eating with only one good arm a lot easier.

I thought more deeply about it, saying slowly: “We can slice meats and vegetables, why on Anmar shouldn’t we slice loaves of bread? Make them all the same thickness, just enough to stop the grease and sauces from coating the eater’s fingers. Oh! But it’s bad enough keeping loaves fresh for a long time, a thin slice would harden almost immediately ...” My voice petered off as I started thinking ever more deeply about it. But if the bread was cut only immediately before making the … the … bread pie-let, I suppose that is a good enough name for now, then it wouldn’t have time to harden? And if the loaf was stored cut face downwards, then that would delay ...

I was brought back to the room and my ‘guests’ when there came a further knock on the door. This time, Sookie came in along with Brydas. I realised with a shock that I had then run out of chairs. Should anyone else arrive, they would have to sit on the floor or the desk or the storage units along the walls!

“Good morrow, you two. Have we all been introduced? This is ...”

“Oh let’s stop with all that nonsense,” rumbled Brydas’ deep voice. “We have all met before and have all worked together in some or other fashion. I am Brydas.”

“And I am Sukhana, but most call me Sookie – if they’re being polite!” She grinned engagingly as she said that. And then she gave Davvy directly an extra grin, which only the three of us understood.

Davvy blushed as I said: “Now, now, Sookie – behave!”

We three all waved away the demands for an explanation, knowing that ’twould take longer to give the necessary background to the story than it would to tell the story itself.

We did, however, (that’s another grouping of ‘we’ by the way) take a little time to bring Sookie and Brydas up to date with what we had been discussing earlier, with the emphasis upon the travelling rather than going too much into the bread pielets.

Brydas broke in to the explanations by saying: “Hah! I deem you could leave in a week’s time and still overtake the Princes and their large party!”

“How so?” asked Pyor.

“The last of them left Blackstone thirty days ago, thirty, I tell you! Their first day’s travel, with side trips for the mounted ones off to see the coke plant, and the stone quarry, and the works behind Strettalm, took them as far as the Forest Roadhouse. Then the next day, they only just made Brayview for the night, a close inspection of Bezlet all the way down to the river end and the works at Kord’s Peak having been declared to be required.

“And the last semaphore we had from Senidet ...” (Davvy and Surtree both dug me in the ribs, the ingrates) “… told us they were only just about to leave Haligo to get to Teldor. Apparently, there has been incredibly much to inspect, enquire upon, view and talk about with various nobles on their dreadfully slow passage downvalley.

“They were in Brayview for nearly a week, inspecting Bezlet, Brayview and Tamitil, …” (I tried hard to control my start at that news) “… and a day trip back into Ptuvilend. They passed on, at last, to Tranidor. Only reaching there some twelve or so days after leaving here.”

All of us gasped with shock at that. I knew that a small party of us had previously managed to ride that distance in a single day!

“They then stayed in Tranidor for no less than four nights and decided to follow the west bank of the Palar all the way down to Haligo. There is such development on that side, that they scarce made 10 marks in a day! Then, when they camped roughly opposite Holville, Prince Keren decided that they must needs take a ferry across to there and inspect the efforts made to clean up the town and the surrounding area. With most of their equipment on the far bank, the three nights they stayed there without moving on were a logistical nightmare. A ferry crossing each morning and each evening.”

“Senidet ...” (I glared to either side of me which succeeded in averting another elbow attack from the two youngsters) “… also said that the Countess Merizel was not travelling easily. Count Terinar and the others were worried about her. Prince Keren is considering splitting up his party, maybe sending Prince Torulf and his Einnlanders forward to the Palace, whilst the rest of them continue to go so slowly.”

He paused for breath as if inviting comment, but the rest of us were still sitting there gawping at his news.

“And then they had no less than three nights in Haligo. Apparently the count has founded a new castle and the old one is being partially demolished to make way for one of those railroad track laying whatsits.”

“I am uncertain of any distances beyond Tranidor, Uncle,” I said. “Can you make it more real for me please, somehow.”

“Let me think a while on’t. I deem that ...”

Sookie broke in then and, grasping Brydas’ hand whilst giving him an apologetic side look, said: “From Haligo to Dekarran is just about as far as it is from here to Tranidor, but there are ferries to be used around Teldor, which is very roughly halfway along that stretch of the journey, so ‘tis perchance unrealistic to expect to do it in one day. Haligo is in a way a sensible sort of stopping point between Tranidor and Teldor. It lies downvalley from Tranidor about as far as Brayview is from here. If a frayen rider was really determined, then they could leave here and get to Tranidor for the first night, then get to between Haligo and Teldor for the second night, and make Dekarran for the third night – but that would be a hard, hard, hard ride.

“Much better would be to get to Brayview, then to Toomer’s Gulley, then to Teldor before having an easy access to Dekarran on the fourth day. Of course, weather and time of the year - more accurately, length of the days - also affect these sorts of timings.”

“I thank you most sincerely, dear Sookie. Now I have a clearer idea in my head. So the Royal Party have taken nigh-on thirty days to do what COULD be done in a mere three. Maker, but that really is slow.”

Pyor interjected then: “But I happen to know full well that His Highness has been keen to use some diplomacy to ease the building of the railroad way, or ways, actually, as there shall be a way down each bank of the river. I deem he has spent his time wisely, if this makes the building of the ‘steel road’, as we at the head of the valley now call it, more easy and efficient.”

“Ah! I had not thought of that. That makes it slightly more comprehensible, I suppose.” Everyone in the room nodded wisely at that, even the two younger ones.

In an attempt to change the emphasis of our talking, Sookie politely enquired of the men: “So when shall you actually leave, Masters?”

“We have determined to get on our way early in the morning of the day after the Longest Day celebrations ...”

Pyor was interrupted by Steef: “Maker! I had forgotten about the celebrations to be had up here, we shall not make such a spectacle down at the Roadhouse. I shall stay up here then, enjoy the day and we can leave together at first light. Will that do for you?”

“Indeed! So shall we do it. I look forward to the companionship and thank you for the consideration.”

“Likewise.”

The men reached over to clasp hands to ‘seal the deal’ and turned to me – well, they were in my office so I was technically their hostess – to take their leaves.

Just as Sookie started up again: “Now Julina, I must talk to you about your orders of beers for all your vast empire of guesthouses and restaurants.”

I suppose the important word there must have been ‘beer’ for the two men sat down again, looking interested. Even Sookie grinned at that as she flashed me glance whilst raising her eyebrows and rolling her eyes. Brydas’ deep rumbling laugh made us all smile.

“A serious subject, then!” I said, which made Surtree and Davvy snigger behind raised hands.

“As it happens, yes!” replied Sookie. “We only have a limited capacity for production and this has been strained recently. I shall have to somehow find coin to expand it. And we can see that the waters in the Bray stream are not quite so clear as those in the Blackstone stream coming from the dam, so we nowadays have to employ wagons to bring us casks of the fresher water from somewhere above the bridge. Which means that we have increased costs.

“What started as almost a hobby has now become a serious and expanding business. And the population here is continuing to grow, every day there are men and families arriving hoping to find work. We have plenty of work of course, that is not the problem, but the accommodation is getting strained and the people – well, the men really – are also getting thirstier by the moment, particularly as the days warm up. I myself ran out of ale last evening, which wasn’t particularly popular. Fortunately, ’twas nigh-on time to close, so ’twas a very short time we went beerless. The next batches were ready this morn, so there shall be some available for this evening, and we had some for the small beers we served at breakfast and will require at lunch.”

“Shall you have enough for the Longest Day celebrations – they are only three days away after all?” There was a collective in-drawing of breath from the men, Brydas included, as I asked that.

“That is very much debatable,” replied Sookie – to audible groans from the three. “I had catered for the expected demand, and even had arranged for a hand of casks in reserve. Now I have a mere two for use ‘in case’. I had anticipated, and indeed produced a brewing schedule for all that I then knew about, but now I have sent two barrels across to the Stoop, two up to the Frayen over there, and one to your Salon. That has taken three out of my planned reserves. And you sent a message that perchance there should be one here for the people enjoying the Park to be able to access during the days.”

“This is true! The back of this building is now opened every day from noon for two bells, and we are already providing much drinking water to those that request it. Davvy, Surtree and I spend most of that time washing up the drinking vessels. We also get many requests for pies and so on, which we cannot fulfil since the kitchens are not yet completed. That’s one of the several reasons I was so interested in Pyor’s idea of the bread pielets – I really must find a better name for them – for then we could swiftly prepare those and provide some light food, as was always envisaged.”

“My! You always see things about four paces before anyone else, ’Lina. How do you do it?”

All the others, I noticed with some surprise, started nodding as Sookie made that unexpected pronouncement.

“Kallisthena, Sookie. I just wish that was true. All I’m doing is finding solutions to the problems I have, or which crop up as the day progresses.”

Davvy snorted at that: “You’re not doing too well at finding solutions to your big problems, though!”

“And what are those?” demanded Sookie, to the utter fascination of the three men.

“She has been asked to open her Consociation downvalley which would mean her leaving Blackstone. Sure, she could return sometimes, for very short visits, but essentially, whilst the thing is being built up, she would be downvalley, probably in Dekarran. She doesn’t know whether or not to accept the Prince’s … invitation to do that. And that is her greatest problem, a problem she is patently NOT solving.”

“You said she had more than one ‘Great Problem’, though?”

“Ah! The other she has not revealed. She is apparently waiting to talk with Master Bezan before she reveals any details...” She pouted, quite prettily actually. “She hasn’t even told ME.”

Sookie smiled at that, Davvy’s slightly annoyed jealousy being plainly apparent. At least it was to us, that was. As usual, the men just smiled politely, probably missing the full details of the exchange.

“This is all getting away from the beer shortage,” I said firmly. “How are we going to deal with that?”

And so the discussions went back to the short-term possibilities and the long-term ones.

The short term solutions really just boiled down to ‘making do’. I agreed that, should there become a shortage, we would first react by not making beer available in the Park garden shop, the next emergency measure being drawing back a cask from the Stoop, then, if really, really necessary, taking one of the Frayen’s casks. We chose the one from the Frayen since the Bunkhouse was so distant. Sure, the Stoop was actually farther away, but the Bunkhouse was certain to be crowded that night after a complete day of no work.

As for the long-term, then the solution we found was for me to have another half-share in a company. I would provide the coin for building a brewery, Sookie would staff and run it. We would share the profits. We agreed to get it all signed and sealed and ‘heard and witnessed’ and all the rest on the morrow, when we could get Representative Jepp to draw up all the documents. We decided that we should harken to our princess and her words, her encouragements to ‘think big’, so we anticipated demand for the drinks to come from the Roadhouse, maybe even Bezlet, as well as the Town up here.

Taking all matters into account, well all of which we could think, and the two ‘extra’ men were of great assistance there, we decided that we should create the Blackstone Brewery astride the first large side-stream just down in the trees, to the east of the road. There was little likelihood of housing being built there, so therefore far less likelihood of any water contamination, trees were to be removed nearby for the railroad way, and when the railroad was working, then it could be used for distributing the casks to their hopefully many destinations. ’Twould also be cooler there, in amongst the trees rather than in an outhouse behind the Claw.

Sookie and Brydas seemed a little taken aback by the scale of my thinking, but had to agree that it fell into line with the Princess’ oft-worded directives. We despatched Surtree to see if he could find out when Master Bezan would be next in town, for he would have the final say as to the location, and as to the priorities to be applied to the new building, yet another that would needs be thrown up in this never-ending town and county expansion.

As we waited for the lad to return, the subject of my potential move was brought up. None of the four adults had left, they all seemed determined to assist me to come to some end to my indecision. We discussed things forwards and backwards, my frustrations growing with every passing heartbeat. Nothing new came out and I told them, through gritted teeth, that I had been over all this just a few million times in my head.

“So really your problem,” said Sookie slowly, “is that you feel you require more information before being able to commit yourself one way or the other?”

“That is the conclusion to which I have come,” I agreed.

“Very well then. So what extra do you need to know? Mayhap my experiences could be useful?”

I felt something break inside me at that moment and I had to fight back a sudden surge of tears – Sookie and Davvy both realised that and came and hugged me.

“I must (*sniff*) try to put aside the emotional (*sniff*) questions that are worrying me (*sniff*). Things like: ‘What shall the people I live and work with be like?’ ‘Where shall I be based?’ ‘Who will ...’”

“Hold there a moment, young lady! Did you say ‘Where shall you be based’?”

“Indeed, Sookie. The Prince suggested that Dekarran would be a better location for ease of access from all of Palarand, but went on to suggest that mayhap Brikant would be even better for he even suggested that others in the Great Valley might attend!”

“Oh Maker! No wonder you are confused and torn. That is indeed a big unknown to be carrying around.”

Such was her tone, such was her compassion, that what little self-control I had retained up to that moment was swept away. Once the dam inside me had broken, I found myself pouring out all my hopes and fears and concerns and misgivings.

Tearfully.

Amidst much wailing.

I let it all go and thereby raised a lot of eyebrows during my outpourings, sometimes all together, sometimes individually.

My tears wracked my body as weeks and months of accumulated tension was released.

I found myself feeling as if all my internal cords had been cut.

I found myself apologising over and over again, but Davvy and Sookie reassured me and the men, as one part of my brain noticed, seemed uncomfortable witnessing such a huge emotional storm. But, to give them their due, they stayed and muttered encouraging words from time to time.

I suppose my melt-down lasted mayhap a half bell and then ’twas over – but not suddenly as that previous phrase might imply. I apologised again to them all, but this time with some metal in my voice. I could FEEL myself recovering. There were people relying on me and I simply could NOT let them all down.

I was brought back to some further degree of sense when Surtree returned. We were all somehow amazed that Master Bezan was actually with him. A fact that helped me dry my tears and stiffen my resolve. He took one look at me, glanced round the whole room, eye-contacting the others to acknowledge them and then switched his attention back to me. His gaze held mine to such an extent that I was conscious of the fact that I could not look away.

“So, young Mistress, you have broken that iron determination and self-control at last. We on the Assembly have long been expecting it. You may not believe me right now when I say that this is a good thing ...” (I could feel Sookie nodding in agreement and heard Brydas mutter an ‘Aye!’) “… but I daresay that come tomorrow you will begin to realise that. You need a break, Mistress, you need to just back off somewhat from all that you currently do and let something new take over your life for a bit. Throw away the old concerns and find something totally different to occupy yourself with. I have seen this happen so often in my life so far, and it has happened to me as well – at least twice! You SHALL emerge stronger from this.”

His kindly tones, his warm words, along with the unlimited encouragement from all the others in the room kick-started that healing process.

Maker! I felt lighter somehow, and could also feel myself starting once again to get my thoughts and actions going.

It must have been visible to the others for Davvy said, to a great burst of laughter from all: “Oh oh! She’s starting up again! Shall we have no rest?”

I found my own lips stretching as I smiled at that.

And so we discussed the location of the new Brewery, an idea that Master B found to be sensible, and then I took him outside for a private chat.

We left the office and walked across the floor to look out of the south-facing windows above the Park. He laughed at my idea, thought about it briefly and concurred with my conclusions. Then he said: “Would you mind so much if I became your neighbour? This would be excellent for development in a few years’ time and I thank you for giving me the idea.”

“Are you serious, Master? That would also be a great boon, more security down there, if you see what I mean?”

“And I will get it marked out and noted in the records and all that.”

“Excellent! I shall tell Master Schild then to transfer the necessary coin – once the Assembly have decided what that amount shall be, of course! And allow you to choose the best spot.”

“Very well! So be it.”

As we returned along the otherwise deserted upper floor of my Mansion, I pointed out to him where the markings showed the expected design for my private quarters and explained about the rounded piece that would be cut out of the roof to allow light down, and where the floor here would be cut away.

“Hmmmm!” he said, obviously deep in thought. “Again you give me furiously to think, Mistress. To think furiously, that is. Again, I am in your debt. Shall it upset you if I use that basic idea in other designs in other houses?”

“Not in the slightest! ’Tis yours to play with as you see fit. Just don’t let neighbouring buildings to here overcrowd my part of Town!”

By then, we had returned to my Office and I couldn’t keep the smile from my face.

I decided there and then to let those gathered there into my ‘secret’ plan – the one that I had been dithering about: “My burden has been further lightened somewhat by Master Bezan, here, as I have now come to a decision to go ahead with what Mistress Davabet there knows as my ‘secret’ idea.” The formality in my use of terms of address, made them all sit up and take notice.

Davvy’s face split into a delighted grin as she hopped up and down in excitement – even though she had no clue as to what it might be.

“I shall purchase a strip of land, about the same size as that down at the Retreat, but further down the river bank, ’twixt Kord’s Peak and Tamitil. This shall be my own private ‘Retreat’ somewhere to go to let off steam as I have learnt this morning I must do. Once the nose of Kord’s Peak has been cleared ...”

“If I might be so rude as to interrupt, Mistress Julina?” stated Master B.

I looked over at him and nodded, the obvious question drawn equally obviously on my face.

“The nose of Kord’s Peak has in fact been successfully removed, yesterday. There is now just room for walkers and for frayen to squeeze between the rock and the river. Work is continuing, of course, but the way has been made open and the footing, as far as is possible, has been made even.

“A tow path for the barges to come must now be cleared as a matter of urgency, all the way down to Tamitil, below which I am told there exists such a path already. As regards the stretch where your land shall be, Mistress, a track that follows the river winds along there and it should not be too difficult a job to clear it sufficiently for the towing. We are cutting a more direct route to Tamitil from Kord’s Peak through the trees since the river has bends on that stretch; in fact, it nigh-on doubles the distance – however, there are foresters’ tracks down there, a bit of a maze of them actually, although there IS a route through them.”

“Thank you, Master Bezan. That is indeed interesting news. I deem I have something new to go and investigate. Overnight in Bezlet, investigate the river bank and those foresters’ tracks, back to Bezlet for a further overnight and then back here.”

“Julina! You are back at it again. Listen to yourself, already arranging tasks to be done. Slow down, girl!”

I looked across at Brydas and saw him wagging a paternal finger at me. “Oh Uncle, I cannot but say I feel so much lighter. That decision has been taken, it weighs no longer around my neck. I feel energised.”

“Maker! What have we allowed to be unleashed?”

And so our discussions continued, everyone being generous with their time just to help little me! A very humbling morning, I deem!

We did discover why the Senidet thing had arisen in my mind. ’Twas simply because my subconscious was telling me I should discuss with her about the difficulties of moving from Palarand downvalley and starting there anew. Of course, she had her Tedenis, but she had managed it successfully.

I felt an idea start to grow in the back of my head, one of those unformed ones that couldn’t yet be described. I knew from experience that I should not push it just then.

We shortly afterwards broke up our meeting and my guests all left with my sincere thanks ringing in their ears.

I did, though, immediately find something else to worry about! Would I be embarrassed next time I saw any of them?

… … …

“Venket! Can you finish this sauce for me, I deem you are the one most able to relinquish your current task?” I squeaked as a sudden enthusiasm for something else entirely struck me.

“Of course, Julina. What have you done so far?”

I told her what steps I had already achieved, all the while flapping an urgent hand at Davvy. She took one look at the excitement in my eyes and just rolled hers back at me. As soon as we could, we moved across into the family room at the front of Em’s house. There, my idea, the one that had tickled me that morning, came bursting out of me and into dear Davvy’s ears.

“Davvy! Remember when we spoke with the Countess? Didn’t she say that the Royal Party would leave Dekarran in a week’s time in order to get to Palarand City in time for the Harvest Festival? Today is the 28th of Lemilat, didn’t she say that they would depart from Dekarran on the 4th or 5th of Choth?”

“I deem that she said they would leave Dekarran on the 5th, as the Harvest Festival is on the 7th. They would overnight part way on the 5th and complete the journey on the 6th, arriving the day before the festivities.”

“Do you realise what that means?”

“Not yet, ’Lina, but I’m sure you are about to tell me.” She grinned cheekily as she said that.

“We have unavoidable duties during the upcoming celebrations but we could leave with Pyor and Steef, early in the morn of the 1st. That night in Tranidor. The next night beyond Haligo. And get to Dekarran on the 3rd, if we travel a full day each day, and swiftly, like when we went that time to Tranidor in one go. Sookie said it could be done. I could then ask of Senidet all that I would need to know, I could answer the Prince in person and then we would have time to return more leisurely before the rains. Once we get to Tranidor, even if there the rains have started, we usually have a few days before the rains start up here. And actually, once we get on the east bank of the Palar, we could make our way home, even if the rains are early this year. There are no ferries required, no river crossings, so we could do it – but ’twould be most uncomfortable, I deem.”

Her face lit up. “Oh yes!” She breathed. “I would dearly love to see more of our land, and you are right, we should have time to spare. Oh ’Lina, let’s do it!”

“I deem you are as enthusiastic as Gy… Hold! We could also ask Gyth, and maybe her mother too, as Waxerwet is now one of our keenest riders. She would also provide some respectability to a party of young women. Let me call Gyth in now.”

And so I made the decision as to try to catch Senidet and ask her my burning questions, in an attempt to make the answer to the Big Question. This I felt was a further lightening of the stressful ‘load’ I was carrying.

… … …

“I’m sorry, Julina but I must try to forbid you from so doing.”

“But Papa, why not? We shall be four, we shall be gone only a week or eight days, we shall have our frayen. And pack frayen. We can all ride. What is the problem?”

“The problem, my dear, lies not with you, but with others. The roads of our land are generally peaceful, but all the same there are sufficient bands of robbers to be cause for concern. Why do you imagine the wagons usually employ guards? ’Tis true the coal ones don’t have cargoes that are of any much use to robbers, but others do. Mayhap these robbers are not as cruel as Hasad, or Trogan as he called himself up here, but nevertheless they exist.

“If you do not believe me, then ask the Bailiss. She was injured the first time by a band of highwaymen. I have always been concerned at your travelling almost alone, but for some reason I have built in my mind a limit to your excursions of Tranidor. From here to Tranidor, I deem the roads to be relatively danger-free. Beyond Tranidor, I have not such faith.”

I felt my heart sinking, for I knew in all actuality, he was right. I glanced at Davvy, and she was almost in tears.

We were startled by a knock at the door, and surprised that the one who came in was Captain Subrish.

“Captain?” I asked.

“Ah! Excuse me Julina, I was told that Representative Jepp was here. I went originally to the Claw for that was where I was directed, but missed him by a moment or two. He and Mistress Sukhana must have taken a differing route to get here.”

“I understand! Yes, I am indeed awaiting them at the moment. Sookie and I reached an agreement yesterday, and today is the time to formalise it all, with contracts drawn up and so on and so forth.”

A small sniff came from just behind me, just loud enough to direct Subrish’s attention to my companion. “Mistress Davabet, are you alright? You appear to be distressed?”

She just twisted her head in the universal sign of denial, and waved her hand in front of her face. I actually doubted that she could have spoken just then. Subrish looked to me for an explanation. I held up a hand to Papa to stop him from stepping in, such behaviour being, I knew, deeply ingrained into his character. He had the grace to let me deal with the question.

“We had planned a mad dash down to Dekarran, so that I might make some more enquiries of members of that caravan in order for me to fulfil my promise to the Prince of giving him an answer before the rains. Davvy, along with Gythy and her mother, were all most enthusiastic to see more of our land and we four intended to depart on the morning of the 1st, the day after the celebrations here. Countess Merizel told me that the Royal Party planned to leave Dekarran on the 5th to cross the Sirrel, so we deemed we could make the journey, intercept the Royal Party, ask my questions, make my decision and then get back here before the weather intervened.”

“I see! That is a somewhat ambitious schedule, I deem – but again doable if sufficiently determined. ’Tis after all downhill all the way, so it could be possible in that direction, but certainly not coming up to here. But the beasts shall be sorely tried, I warn you. What is the actual problem, then?”

“We would travel as far as Haligo in the company of Masters Steef and Pyor, but after that we would be alone. Papa here suggests that would be too dangerous for four unescorted females to progress unescorted.”

“And you know, deep down, that your father is right, do you not?”

“Sadly, Captain, I do.”

At that point, there was another knock at the door, and Jepp and Sookie came in, the former laden with paper, reeds, parchment, wax, seals and goodness knows what else. It appeared that they had detoured to the office in the Community Hall to fetch such stuff, which is why Subrish had managed to get here before them.

Once the introductions had all been made, I allowed Subrish to deal with his business with Jepp first, correctly determining that he would be swift and probably had more important things to do than sit around listening to a boring session in which a company was to be set up.

“Representative, I have need of some access to the Assembly records, searching for some things that must have happened before I arrived. I was hoping that I might prevail upon you to allow me to peruse them – and was hoping now to be able to make a firm appointment so to do.”

“Is there a degree of urgency, Captain, or can it wait until after the Longest Day street party?”

“I deem that it can even wait a week - or even two, come to that.”

“Very well then,” said Jepp as he wrote himself a reminder. “I shall let you know when shall be best. Do you wish to find any particular subject, that I might be able to cut shorter your searches?”

“Perchance we should discuss that a little more privately, Representative. I would hate to divulge anything that might be considered secret, or not for general knowledge, due to my ignorance of historical events.”

Jepp caught the Captain’s meaning immediately. “I shall attend you then, over in the Barracks, in, let us say, three-quarters of a bell?”

“That would be most considerate. I thank you.” So saying, Subrish bowed to us all, said his farewells and departed.

And we all got down to the forwards and backwards of the terms of the contract and the signatures, and the ‘heard and witnessed’s and all of that stuff. Papa was the ‘independent’ witness, along with Davvy. Finally, it was done. I had yet another half share in a company that was starting out.

And then came another knock on the door. I was surprised to see Subrish accompany Surtree back from his training session. Surtree used his hands to indicate that the Captain should be the first to speak.

“Master Kordulen, Mistresses Julina and Davabet, I deem I have a solution for your problem. The Representative here can confirm that we have need to send some documents, messages and the like down to His Grace at Dekarran, and to receive some replies to our queries. I can therefore allocate you a guard of four men. That should be sufficient to allay your father’s fears and to achieve our desires too. I have spoken with the men involved and they are all prepared to ride that distance as swiftly as the party can manage. I shall send the file leader to you here on the morrow, if that shall be alright with you.”

Davvy I knew had to hold herself back from running over and hugging him. I felt some grateful tears spring to my lids, which I cuffed away with the back of my hand. Papa looked relieved and yet unenthusiastic. Surtree had a look on his face that I could not interpret. Representative Jepp just smiled indulgently.

Thus it was that our journey – I always referred to it ever after, but only in my head you will understand, as the ‘Downvalley Dash’ – was finally settled.

And then I had a whole bunch of semaphores to send, and needed to get hold of Haka as Davvy would require a ‘for best’ dress if we were going to look presentable, after a hard journey, to the Royal Party. I felt bad about asking Haka to do it, but I could think of no other solution in the limited time we had. She was still adamant that I should not hesitate to ask her such things, continuing to maintain that she was evermore in my debt. I tried my hardest to remember not to ask her such things in the future.

The semaphores were sent, and indeed one was answered – yes, we would be welcome at Epp’s, the two men as well, but the guards would need to sleep over at the ‘Iron Spear’ in West Tranidor, rooms being limited in Tranidor that night – we had hardly given them much notice after all. Epp would think of other places we should stay on our journeyings.

… … …

The next morning, File Leader Mompik stood the other side of my desk, refusing all my blandishments to take a seat. This I deemed was due to the need to be ‘military’ in front of his immediate superior, Quadrant Ponstib, and in front of the Ranger they had brought with them - a fresh-faced young man called Vakter. I say young even though he was older than I, it was just that he was younger than the file leader.

“And we shall be in a great hurry, for we need to overtake the Royal Party before they cross the Sirrel. Despite the fact that four of our party are women, and that means we shall require more frequent ‘natural breaks’ than you men, we shall descend as fast as is humanly and frayenly possible. Now you two, and your two colleagues ...”

“They shall be called Kabarad and Rakshak.”

I frowned at Mompik’s interruption and his lack of title used to address me, which Quadrant Ponstib picked up on, as did Em.

“… if you so say. But to get back to what I was saying, you two are to be ...”

“Are you leaving out the other two then?” Mompik again interrupted. This time, Davvy, Ponstib, Em, Surtree and I all frowned openly. I looked over my shoulder to where Gyth and her mother were sitting. They too were disturbed, I could tell.

I tried again: “As I was trying to say, you two are very much ...”

“Just us two, then! That is the clarification I required.”

“Mompik! Attend!” came a very commanding order from the now-standing Ponstib.

“Sir!”

“You are bordering on being replaced for this mission. You shall address the woman opposite you as Mistress Julina and shall remember that this mission is hers and ’tis she who shall be making the decisions. Is that clear?”

Mompik had paled as the facts of the matter were made abundantly plain to him. “Yes, sir! So shall I sir!”

“Then apologise man, be quick about it, and don’t let it happen again!”

“Yes, sir! No, sir!”

Mompik turned to me: “I apologise for appearing impolite, Mistress. I was overly concerned about the men I shall be commanding. And I had not fully appreciated the … conditions of this mission. I had assumed that you civilians were just attaching yourselves to our group, taking advantage of our Ranger-required trip to Dekarran.”

“I deem, Mompik, that actually the boot is, as it were, upon the other foot. You four have been assigned to protect us in our mission, and the delivery of documents has been added to your burden to take advantage of THAT situation. Your apology is accepted. Let me hasten to add that we shall all obey your orders in the event of an emergency, but that OUR mission is the reason for the trip happening at all. You should know that ’tis I who is paying the costs of this all, so I am in effect hiring you and your men. We have to travel swiftly, as mentioned, so there shall just be us on frayen, with some pack beasts too – no wagons. There shall be four females, three males, and each shall trail a pack frayen. I trust this information is sufficient for you to lay your plans accordingly?”

“Thank you, Mistress. I shall not make the same mistake again.”

“That you won’t!” growled Ponstib. “I want a word with you when we are finished here.”

… … …

For a week or two now, we had been using the old VMS building as a sort of preparation kitchen for all those who catered in Town. This was something that had proven to be an excellent idea, for we had a generally much cooler building (the summer weather was becoming increasingly hot by then) and we had in there space for many more of the zeers. We also found working with so many others to be mostly much freer somehow, more laughs. Yes there were some conflicts and some who could not work with others, but these people were easily separated, so large was our working space. Deliverers professed themselves also pleased as they had mostly just one drop-off point. Mousa had decided that she would use that building as her kitchen, now that the Community Hall was mostly empty and this building was more centrally located.

I confess we in the Salon team picked up some useful tips and tricks from the others but must say, I dare hope not too immodestly, that they picked up far more from us. Which gave me useful insights that I could use in the Consociation teaching sessions, if, when and wherever that ended up being.

I need to first go back a little in time though.

At my last detailed session with Master Schild I had learnt that I was getting even more coin, this time a great increase from Papa and Pocular, for the nationwide sales of hand mirrors and Beam Lanterns had shot up. Master Schild urged me to invest my steadily growing riches in property for he was certain that prices of houses and land plots would never be so cheap as they were at the moment. (He also urged me to do something else sensible that I shall come back to a little later.) Which is why I had been spending quite so much recently – the Brewery, the riverside plot near Tamitil, and … the old VMS building.

Yes, that building now belonged to me.

But only His Honour, Representative Jepp, Masters Bezan and Schild, Davvy and I knew.

Mousa was to be told as well, since she would have to pay me a small rent, and that way she would tell Epp, for, you shall remember, her catering company was partly owned by Epp, being as how it was a copy of Epp’s successful operation down in Tranidor. These were several of the reasons I charged such a low rent!

So on the Day of Celebrations, the longest day of our year, I found myself presiding over a huge number of cooks in the Communal Kitchen as we had now termed it. I arranged a roster such that the others could have a bell at a time off, allowing them to depart in threes, others covering their tasks during their absences. That way, all of us got to enjoy some of the festivities as the day progressed. I made sure that Davvy had a lot of time off, for she was of limited use to us in the actual preparations. In effect, she took over Surtree’s role for I had given the lad a day off (with pay) so that he could enjoy the day with his family.

Quite early on, there was a hand of visitors who provided me with a great and welcome surprise: “Legbato! Are you here for our celebrations? When did you get in? How long are you here for?”

He smiled as he said: “We arrived last night and have some tumbling tasks today to keep your crowds amused. We shall do a short play as a sort of warm-up for Berdon and Bettayla’s troupe later. The weather is set fair for a warm and clear evening, so it shall be up there on what used to be the Parade Ground, next to where the huge bonfire has been built.”

I finished hugging him as he explained his presence and stood back to study him. He was doing the same to myself. I could indulge in some hugging here, for I was in a roomful of women so the proprieties were maintained.

“You seem less careworn than the last time you were here, Legbato?”

“Indeed so, and much of that is due to YOUR influence for you have managed to make us a SMALL travelling troupe in LARGE demand in the villages and roadhouses from here to Tranidor. We actually have some coin saved nowadays!

“But you yourself have changed greatly, Mistress. You have become an adult and a woman within that short and swift passage of time. You have an air of authority and one of purposefulness. And yet still retain your innate grace and poise. An even more wonderful combination than before. But I deem you also look tired. Are you pressing yourself too much?”

Now I remind you that he said all this in full earshot of all the other women busying themselves in this large room, so ’twas no surprise I blushed to my roots. We talked on for a little longer, however I was in one way pleased when he said he had to dash off. I was by then getting upset at all my blushings.

But I confess ’twas a delight to see him and his colleagues again - and to know that he had made a special effort to track me down gave me a warm and fond feeling deep inside. His companions were all also most sincere and fulsome in their thanks to me for, as they said, ‘kick-starting’ again their careers.

Once the door had closed behind them, I got back to slicing and dicing and stirring and ladling and stoking fires and all the rest. Slicing bread and making with the slices many of those little pie-like things I had now determined to call ‘Brets’. There was little time to be wasted after all.

I was the one who spent most time throughout that day in those kitchens and I observed that there were distinct waves of demand for our basics. But fear not, I had not forgotten myself, and I too managed to get out a couple of times to see for myself the joy with which the day was celebrated by all.

The afternoon was fading, but not yet into the latter part of the evening. ’Twas well before the true darkness set in when we opened the Salon; on that day ’twas done especially a little earlier than usual for we had THREE seatings scheduled for that night. We had carefully timed them to straddle the play acting and the singing, the main display of which was coming once again from the Miners’ Chorus. I confess we were almost rushed off our feet.

But ’twas only almost.

This meant that we had a few moments of crisis as we all rushed to get everything done, then cleared up again ready for the next session. A pattern of behaviours that repeated itself each time. I was immensely grateful that night for our policy of asking that people ordered their food in advance, and for the fact that I and the others had worked so assiduously throughout the day. The Appreciation Pot received a noticeable amount above the norm that night.

Everyone, and I mean everyone except young Venket who had volunteered since we had to have someone guarding the fires alight in the kitchen and to keep stirring the sauces and the like, went up to the former Parade Ground to hear His Honour’s speech, which was once again encouraging and energising and full of hope for the future. We workers in the Salon then had to scamper back down to deal with the final seating that night, which took place as most of the Town sang, swayed and danced around the huge bonfire they lit after Captain Bleskin’s stirring words. That would not last too long we knew, for the foreseen shortage of beer was about to make itself felt. A bac had been sent, with Mistress Kalket, to ‘liberate’ the earmarked barrel from the Stoop.

Amongst the diners in the last session that night were some people I had invited for a free meal, three couples in fact: Swayga was with Papa of course, then there was Pomma with Waldan. Em was escorted by, no surprise there, Quadrant Ponstib. They were all seated at one table and were to be the last to leave because of that something that Master Schild had said, the subject I promised earlier to return to. Sookie and Brydas too had been at another table, enjoying an evening alone as it were. I realised that they could be valuable witnesses to what was about to occur so I asked them to tarry a little longer.

As soon as the dining room was deserted of all but this required group of eight, I announced: “Thank you all for staying here when there is so much more happening outside. It is indeed much appreciated. I shall be swift in my delivery this e’en.

“A few weeks ago now, Master Schild strongly urged me to do something for the times when I might be somehow incapacitated, for whatever reasons. I have semaphored Epp and Shemel and they agreed with what I am about to do so ’tis time for me to arrange it all. I have learnt that I could be struck down with illness, or injury, and that would leave a large problem.

“I deem you all know that I am to travel down to Dekarran, departing very early on the morrow, so I have to beg of you all to recall that I have little time now for any prolonged discussions, if I am to get any sleep this night.

“I should be back in less than two weeks so I doubt that these emergency measures I am about to enact will be required. To cut it as short as is possible, I wish to appoint a triumvirate of Mistresses Swayga, Pomma and Michet to act in my place should I be prevented somehow from taking up all my duties. I am deliberately making this announcement in front of the partners of the three and also with Mistress Sukhana and Master Brydas as witnesses.

“I have interests in Meglina Accommodations, Blackstone Wagons, Blackstone Rail, and – newly – Blackstone Brewery as well as here in the Salon. I have invested heavily in several other businesses too. I deem that with all your expertises and sense, you will be able to keep those enterprises functioning – hiring and firing as it becomes necessary, recognising extra business opportunities and so on. I have signed documents to the effect that you three shall, together, be able to draw upon my funds and so on, fully capable of acting in my name. These documents have yet to be lodged with Master Schild, because I do not yet have your agreement to this cooperation. Can I in fact count upon having such an agreement?”

Discussions immediately started and, at one point not too far in, I had to get firm: “This is about three of you agreeing to my proposal, NOT about why or what could happen to delay me from returning from Dekarran. ’Tis but a simple request. After all is agreed, THEN we can discuss hypothetical reasons as to why it might have to be invoked.”

They all realised the truth of my statement and ’twas but a minute later that we had done all the ‘heard and witnessed’ stuff and an agreement was signed. This was handed to Uncle Brydas for safekeeping and for registering with Master Schild and with the Assembly as soon as he could.

Then they started up again about the reasons that might incapacitate me. I knew I had to let them have this discussion, for they needed to sort it all out in their own heads. In mine, ’twas already patently clear.

Finally, all was done and I could escape, leaving the others to do all the tidying up. Papa, Swayga and I walked home, did the usual night-time preparations and headed for our rooms.

And so, at long, long last my weary body could go and climb into bed. I tried to ignore quite how soon I would have to reawaken.

… … …

Papa, Swayga, Kords and Kissa Tai Chied with me, Davvy and Surtree in the last of the dark. It made it clear to me how concerned my family was with my long journey, a concern that made me once again somewhat uncertain, but I could not afford to let a hint of that escape. But we disturbed the silence not; just the small grunts, whistles and gasps that were a natural product of our bodies as we twisted and turned, stretched and contracted our way through the forms.

I noticed two things that morning:
– one, that somehow we had split into two groups, which was very unusual for us nowadays; my blood family were all together, while Davvy and Surtree were off to one side, Surtree though remained close to Kissa, which I confess was by now very usual
– second, that Davvy and Surtree seemed to be more noisy than the rest of us, not something I had at all previously noticed. And not that it actually mattered at all.

There was one other noticeable difference that morning – in the recent weeks, led by Surtree, four of us - Kords, Kissa, Davvy and I - had been gently practicing the unarmed combat moves for a half bell or so after the Tai Chi. Today, we did not do that, not simply because ’twas still dark, but because Davvy, Surtree and I were due to leave within a quarter bell. Parry had been good enough to send across to us three of the pack frayen we would be taking and they had been loaded before we started the Tai Chi. We were travelling light this time, very, very light. Only just enough to get us through a week, after which we shall have to do a deal of washing!

The young lad who had delivered the animals to us told us that the same arrangement had been made for Gyth and her mother. Which made me wonder with a small part of my brain at the amount of assistance we were getting from others.

Finally, we were finished and I saw Davvy’s eyes fill as both Swayga, and then Papa, gave her a most affectionate hug, something they hadn’t really done before. Surtree swelled with pride as Papa gave him a most manly hand-grasp and gruffly said: “Look after my girls, lad, for Davvy is surely a part of this family now.”

“I will, Master, that I will.”

So it was that we collected the animals and walked to the back entrance of the Claw. Just as we got there, the four Rangers appeared so we knew at least we would not have to wait for them! They were carrying sacks with their belongings in them.The seven of us turned into the courtyard and I was relieved to see the other four travellers there, all with their pack beasts packed. We twittered and mumbled our far-too-early-in-the-morning greetings. We four women disappeared for a last pre-emptive natural break, and then we were ready.

The men in our party were mounted already, each with a pack animal behind them. The belongings of the soldiers had been split across our beasts of burden so that the soldiers were unfettered if it came to a time they needed to fight. I helped Davvy up onto her mount whilst Gyth and Waxerwet scrambled up themselves. Their baggage animals were then attached to their saddles and Parry held the leading rein of mine.

So far, there was nothing at all too unusual in anything anyone did. The sky was noticeably lightening off to the east, but ’twas still basically dark. Perchance that was the only unnormality. ’Twas after all the very shortest night of the year.

As I said, ’twas nothing unusual as I swung my leg over Trumpa’s back. A simple bodily movement that passed by everyone’s notice in total normalcy.

And yet one that changed the whole world.

*** End of Book 2 ***


up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Probably were...

Sandwiches that is were probably in the SEE harvest festival arc. I'd hate to try to track all the various developments in this wonderful series!

Not quite!

From SEE #35:

No utensils were used for this meal, which meant that Garia had to be very careful not to get anything on her white gown. Every diner had a napkin on their lap but attention was still required. Most of the food was in bite-sized portions or could be held and chewed, only the bread needed to be torn first.

ok wow, though I suppose it

ok wow, though I suppose it makes sense, while its hard to trace their true beginning sandwiches became popular as work lunches as people began working in factories,

I thought the origin of the sandwich

Was attributed to Lord Sandwich who apocryphally said to the effect of slapping some meat between two slices of bread because he was in a hurry to eat.

Or was it...

Because he refused to leave the card table? That is one of the tales I've heard!

Wax Paper

I recall that wax paper has been developed, but of course that's in Palarand City. It will (eventually) solve the short term freshness problem.

Thanks for the new posting. I'm looking forward to the next posting.

Yes and no

No, there is no formal supply of it yet. But, Garia left behind a whole bunch of paper and as we know, they are all wrapped in wax paper to keep moisture out. Julina may very well have noticed the paper in the course of using it for her teaching.

She needs to get a supply of it but who knows how expensive it is.

Ah!

Much better memory than mine; Thanks. She will have to see the wax paper and then make the connection, but she's already been shown to be very adept at that.

Her Empire is growing

At this rate she will need to incorporate into another entity, perhaps call it ‘Alphabet’ and promise to ‘do no evil’ ^_^.

I wonder if she will become the first woman owned megacorp.

It seems to me she is figuring what is possible to do in creating a management staff to help her run things.

Finally, I think this whole situation of decision stress is caused by a massive management faux pas on the part of the Prince. He should’ve considered ways to ease such a transition and provided concrete ways for her to have her cake and eat it too. Instead, he almost as an aside mentioned that she had these enterprises she is developing but ‘oh I have something even more important’ to offer you, without really giving her enough detail to cinch the deal.

I think the Prince is still young and not yet have all the fine management skills yet.

Own a mega corp?

At the rate Julina is going? She will be a mega corp within about another year or two, I don't think she has actually sat down and listed everything she has a finger in at least. But lets see; Wenders, Bac-bats, Blackstone wagons, Blackstone rail, Megalina, The Salon are the ones she mentioned, I'm sure I missed some, but those are the ones she has direct dealings with, she also 'invented', the hand mirror, and the beam lantern as well. I'm thinking she has part of a couple of other developments like ceiling hung movable walls. Those are just the ones I can think of off hand, but unless she does something very wrong, she is strongly on an arc to become a mega corp.

You forgot brewing

But yes I got your point. Of course, she may very well get first dibs on Earth knowledge as she may be in the first wave of people learning English and be reading it first.

If I were to guess, in 4 years time she could rival Garia’s wealth.

My notes tell me ...

Julina's sources of income (so far known about! There will be others):

1) — the 'Salon', an exclusive restaurant in Em's house
2) — Private remuneration from Papa and Master Pocular, for hand mirrors and beam lanterns
3) — the Wender operation run by Master Tanon's company in Tranidor and who are also helping BW up in Blackstone. Also J gets a cut of these operations when Tanon opens them up in other cities.
4) — Bat Bacs; Blackstone and Tranidor Bacs — equivalent to a taxi company; operated by Master Tanon's Company down in Tranidor, operated by Julina up in Blackstone, using mostly Master Tanon's resources at first. Also J gets a cut of these operations when Tanon opens them up in other cities.
5) — Blackstone Wagons; in conjunction with Shemel, commissioned by the Blackstone Assembly, associated with Master Tanon's Company, particularly in the wender/bac/shipping areas
6) — Meglina Accommodation; in conjunction with Megrozen (hence the name); starts out as a B and B operation
7) — Hanging doors that slide on 'rails' a joint Exclusivity Licence with “Em, Uncle, Sookie, Sethan and we four girls”
8) — 1/20 of tall flat mirrors made in Tranidor and Blackstone
9) — Wheelwright services based in Brayview
10) (eventually) — The Consociation of Caterers
11) (eventually) — Blackstone Wagons rail operations
12) (eventually) — Invested in Bray and Palar Navigation
13) — Top Heaters
14) (eventually) — Invested in Blackstone Brewery

Transport

Of all of these, the Wenders/railroads is her best bet for income growth as there is pent up demand and due to increased population, the income will continue to rise. Beam lanterns may saturate and eventually be overtaken by electric lighting eventually of the portable nature (torches) and lead acid powered ones for vehicles.

Bacs will get competition soon enough so I don’t think she will be the only service soon enough.

Julina is already involved in ...

Julina is already involved in the following;

15) Real estate investor (just needs to view it as merchandise)
16) Real estate developer
17) Commercial property management and rentals.

17

Wouldn’t Meglina already count towards 17?

Yes and no

Not always, while currently the rentals are in relation to Meglina, this is unlikely to always be the case, if its being leased to live in or for use as anything other than service industry rather than as short stay than it would not be Meglina

With Senidet?

The scales/crane?

Downvalley dash thoughts

makes sense with the time that she has, but she isn't leaving much room for inevitable business happenings to and from, perhaps she could figure out how to make rushed travel into a service but she will undoubtedly miss opportunities on her travel.

Return Trip

Perhaps the return trip will be a bit more leisurely. This trip has every sign of being a really big deal for Julina based on the end of posting teaser and that it is a new book (several more postings on the topic likely).

Security thoughts

She may eventually hire her own security detail. Ideally they should be female for practicality sakes.

OTOH, why not make a deal with Tanon for some of his wagon guards ? I doubt they are busy all the time.

If she thinks about it...

Or hears how Princess Eriana got sent off with a detail of two female guards from the palace guard, I'd bet that Julina will be raiding prince Keren's guard force. For a while he may well have to form a specialized company that trains female bodyguards. I bet even Garia hasn't thought that one through yet!

Not necessary

I believe Countess Meritzel had female guards?

So it should occur to her soon enough.

Merizel Not Travelling Easily

I'm surprised no one has commented on this. While it's a good reason to continue the slow pace of the prince's party, I hope that nothing really bad happens to her. She is very popular.

kick-start

I must first say thank you for another wonderful episode of this series. Tell Penny that I thank her also.

You are f*ing* awesome.

Now ... on to my critique ...

But I confess ’twas a delight to see him and his colleagues again - and to know that he had made a special effort to track me down gave me a warm and fond feeling deep inside. His companions were all also most sincere and fulsome in their thanks to me for, as they said, ‘kick-starting’ again their careers.

The phrase "klck starting" has a specific connotation related to the internal combustion engine.

At this point in the (ADVANCED) development of the Anmarian civilization, this concept is still at least several years, if not a decade or two, in the future.

Quible quible quible.

Thank you for a GREAT story line.