Emma's Story: School Days: Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version

## 4 ##

Abby, Nicole, Rachel and I were in the aquarium watching the fish in the large tank. Nicole and Rachel were near the front watching the fish swim to and fro, getting excited when they saw one they'd not seen yet.

"What do you think our parents are talking about?" I asked Abby, who turned to look at me.

"Probably what to do with all of the stuff..." Abby replied.

I glanced down at our sisters as I saw movement near the large glass wall that separated us from the fishes. "What stuff?"

"Well, we're not going to need three couches, two dining room tables, two washers and dryers, etc..." Abby smiled at me. It suddenly clicked in my head what she was talking about.

"Wait," I said, my eyes getting wide. "Are you saying what I think your saying?"

"Well," Abby giggled. "That depends on what you think I'm saying..." She gave a shy smile and then brushed a few strands of her hair back behind her ear.

"Do our sisters know?" I asked.

"I don't think so..." Abby said, glancing at Rachel and Nicole. "Pretty sure Rachel doesn't know; Nicole might depending on how much she listens to Dad's ramblings..." She stood, gave a little stretch, and then looked at me. "What do you say we go see if those two," She tipped her head toward our sisters. "Want to go see the penguins or the otters or something other than here in the dark... I'm about to fall asleep..." I stood and followed her to where our sisters sat. When we got there, Abby tapped both the younger girls on the shoulder. They both turned to look at the two of us.

* * * * *

After watching the kids walk away, Daniel and Sharon had walked around the pond to the other side, it was a slightly different view, but with less people. Daniel wanted some people around but not the amount of people that were milling around the front gate to the zoo.

"Ya know," He said, smiling at Sharon. "What are we going to do with two houses and the contents thereof?"

"Are you trying to lead the witness, councilor?" Sharon said, laughter escaping her lips.

"No, but," He dropped to one knee and reached into his pocket, Sharon's hand floated up to her mouth. "Council would like to ask the witness if she would be his wife..." He opened the box he had pulled from his pocket, exposing a ring. It wasn't a diamond set in the ring, but an opal, Sharon's favorite stone.

"Yes," Sharon said, starting to tear up. The small group of people around them all clapped. "I'll be your wife." Daniel slid the ring on Sharon's finger.

* * * * *

At eleven forty five, the alarm on Abby's phone went off. The four of them had made it through the manatee exhibit, down through the otters and penguins and finally up to the African continent and were presently looking at the large, majestic giraffes that the zoo had.

"Let's go meet our parents back at the entrance..." Abby said. "I set the alarm to give us 15 minutes to get up there. That should be enough time." And so the four of them headed toward the entrance to the zoo. When they got there they found Sharon gazing at her finger, taking in the sight of the ring on her finger. She glanced up as the four girls approached, smiling at them.

"Hi girls!" Sharon said enthusiastically. She was still excited and it showed.

Abby noticed the ring first; she shared a glance at Emma, and grinned. "Pretty ring."

Sharon beamed. "Thanks, your dad got it for me."

"Abby doesn't miss a beat, does she?" Daniel said, appearing behind Abby. "So, we have some news... Emma and Nicole, Today I asked your mom to marry me. She said..."

"Yes." Sharon said, still beaming.

Rachel and I looked at each other and grinned. Somehow I had known that this day was coming and Abby and Nicole were about to become my stepsisters... There was going to be much to do in the coming days.

up
144 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Much

to do indeed, Hope the girls all get along.

Happy feeling.

WillowD's picture

I have a happy glowy warm feeling right now. Thank you.