Antonette's Story Chapter 16 (Final)

Printer-friendly version
Ballet 1.jpg
Antonette's Story

A novel by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2020
 


Chapter 16   Kate's wedding

The wedding day dawned warm and sunny – perfect! It was eight o'clock and there was a knock on the door to let us know that breakfast had been delivered. We had plenty of time as the wedding was not until two o'clock and the church was only about ten minutes from the motel according to Mrs Dundee, the manager's wife, who really ran the business.. We decided to take a taxi to the church since, while both of us are very temperate in our drinking habits, what's a wedding if you can't have a glass of champagne?

I went to the office and asked Mrs Dundee if she could organise a taxi for us.

“I can do better than that, I'll get 'Croc' to drop you off.”

“Croc?” I asked

She laughed. “When your name is Michael Dundee, what else are they going to call you but 'Crocodile'? Over time it got shortened to 'Croc'

“Well please thank 'Croc' very much,” I said.

“No worries,” she replied.

Jack let me get ready first, knowing that it would take me a lot longer than him. It wasn't a 'black tie' affair, so I had brought along a beautiful tea-length dress in dark pink. I was going to wear a petticoat under it to make the skirt flare out slightly, and of course, stockings and four-inch heels were a 'must'. Jack was wearing a charcoal-grey suit with a white shirt, a striped tie, and black shoes.

'Croc' knocked on our door at one o'clock as arranged. We had some things to drop off at the reception centre first before we went on to the church, including a rather unique wedding present for them.

Before we set off on our own honeymoon to the Lake District, I confided our destination to Lucy, one of my special friends in the corps.

“Richard and I went there on our honeymoon too,” she said. “One of the places we visited was the Honister Green Slate mine near Keswick, the last working slate mine in England, They have a gift shop and we bought a slate sign there printed with the name of our house 'Cherrywood'. It's attached to the wall, right beside the front door, and a lot of people comment on it.

As it turned out, we never did get to the Honister Pass, but when I was thinking about a special wedding present for Kate and Bruce, the idea of getting them a house sign suddenly occurred to me. The only problem was that they didn't yet have a house and when they did, I had no idea what they would call it. I rang Kate's mum one day when I thought Kate would be at work (and she was) and discussed a wedding present with her, mentioning my idea of a house sign. I asked if she had any idea what their house would be called when they finally bought it and she laughed.

“That's easy,” she said, “It will be called 'Eaglehawk' because that's the name of the old goldmining town where Bruce was born.”

“Brilliant! Thank you so much Mrs White. We are really looking forward to flying over and seeing you again.”

We had a few days' break from rehearsals and so drove to the Lake District again, and this time we visited Honister Pass and the famous slate mine. It is a very interesting place and we joined an underground tour to see where the slate is mined, and then went to the café and the shop and ordered the bespoke house sign for Kate and Bruce. They would be getting a little bit of England, carried all the way to Australia. The slate is cut into fairly thin pieces so it wasn't too heavy to carry and I certainly wouldn't have entrusted it to the mercies of the postal services..

Now, the house sign, carefully enveloped in loads of bubble wrap was delivered to the reception centre, wrapped in 'wedding' paper and with signs on it saying “Fragile, do not drop!'.

There were quite a few guests already milling around by the path leading up to the church door, waiting for the bride to arrive. They seemed to look at us a bit curiously, having never seen us before. I'm sure they were wondering who we were. As I've already mentioned, Jack is very handsome, and I scrub up reasonably well if I say so myself.

I didn't see the groom and his supporters so presumed they were already in the church. The photographer and videographer arrived which meant that the bridal party couldn't be far behind. At five minutes past the hour, the conventional late arrival, two white Rolls Royces drew up outside the church lych gate. The bridesmaids and flower girl got out of the first one and gathered at the second one where Kate's father stepped out of the car and walked around to the nearside where the chauffeur opened the door and Kate alighted. She looked absolutely amazing, wearing the beautiful dress she had shown us at the hen party. It had looked great then, but now she was wearing it, the effect was stunning. Then the bridesmaids fussed around making sure that the dress and veil were perfectly adjusted

Now we had seen her arrive, all the guests had to hurry into the church where the organ was quietly playing. We settled into our seats, and then the vicar walked out of the vestry, followed by Bruce and his groomsmen. A few minutes later the organist struck up the traditional wedding march 'Here Comes the Bride', and we all turned to watch, first the flower girl, then the bridesmaids and finally Kate on the arm of her father, walk up the aisle.

Then followed the traditional wedding ceremony and finally, the happy couple walked down the aisle to the strains of Mendelssohn's 'Wedding March'. We followed them out to the church steps where the photographer started organising photos which concluded by all the guests being asked to arrange themselves on the church steps behind the wedding party. After that, the wedding party was taken to a local park for more photos and the guests made their way to the reception rooms. Kate's parents had very kindly offered us a lift.

Jack and I drank mineral water and ate a few canapés as we chatted to other guests and waited to be shown to our table. I saw Gary and his wife Wendy and I'm sure he saw me but he made no move to come over and say hello. I decided to let him play things as he thought best. We were finally shown to our table along with six other guests, introduced ourselves and waited for the bridal party to enter to a rather strange version of 'Here Comes the Bride', played by the small band.

I'm sure the majority of readers have attended multiple weddings and this one followed the conventional program. Only Jack and I knew that there was going to be something slightly different at this one. After the speeches and the bridal waltz, with everyone joining in, Jack and I slipped away to a small room adjoining the main reception room to get ready. Then we waited at the door for the announcement by the MC.

“Ladies and gentlemen, if you would all clear the dance floor, we have a special treat for you today. Two of our guests, Antonette and Jack French have travelled all the way from England to be present with us today. They are both ballet dancers with the Imperial Ballet Company in England, one of the nation's premier companies. Antonette has been a special friend of Kate's for many years, and at Kate's request, they have agreed to entertain you with the romantic Balcony Pas de Deux from Romeo and Juliet.”

There was a smattering of applause as the recorded music started and we ran into the middle of the dance floor to gasps from the guests. This pas de deux is a very dramatic one with plenty of occasions when Romeo lifts Juliet into the air, which produced cheers from the guests. In some pas de deux, the male dancer almost seems almost a prop for the ballerina, but not on this occasion; I think everyone was impressed with Jack's strength and there were more gasps as he easily lifted me onto his shoulders and spun around. When the music finished we took our bows to a standing ovation from everyone present.

I gave a little speech at the end; “Ladies and gentlemen, it isn't often that you hear a ballet dancer speak, but this is a special occasion. Kate and I have been great friends since before she migrated to Australia with her family. Just before she left, she made me a present of her favourite and prized bride doll, something I've never forgotten.” I was interrupted by a cheer and applause at this point and Kate blushed as she acknowledged it.

“I have taken great care of Jemima ever since and I hope that the day will come when I can pass her on to the next generation of Kate's family.” More cheers, and more blushes from Kate.

“It has been our great pleasure to entertain you today, and I'd like to conclude by wishing Kate and Bruce a wonderful life together. Thank you.”

With that, we both bowed again and left the dance floor to change back into our wedding guest clothes. When we returned to our table the other guests were very complimentary.

“That was such a wonderful surprise and you are so good; are you principal dancers?” asked one lady.

We laughed and I said: “Far from it, I am a senior dancer in the corps-de-ballet, and Jack is now a soloist, something I hope to achieve one day. The main thing is that we love what we do.”

“And it shows,” said the lady. “You were very good.”

“Thank you very much,” Jack and I said in unison.

A few minutes later when the band started up again, Jack excused himself and left me sitting at the table watching the dancing. A familiar voice said, “Excuse me, may I have this dance?”

I looked up and smiled at Gary. “You may indeed,” I said, taking his hand.

We slow-waltzed half-way around the room in silence before I broke it by saying: “This is where we came in. By the way, you are still a good dancer.”

“Not as good as you,” responded Gary.

“Well I do it for a living,” I replied with a smile. Changing the subject, I continued:
“I hear that you are now an astronomer working at the Parkes Observatory, well done.”

Gary smiled: “I'm a radio astronomer,” he said. “There are certain advantages, we can work in the day as well as the night. However, I do still have my little optical telescope and take it out occasionally. The night sky at Parkes is quite dark.”

“There's one thing I'd love to ask you. I saw the film “The Dish” and remember the scene where the staff play cricket on the dish; did that really happen?”

Gary smiled. “It's the question we're most often asked. In the film, that's the real dish you see the actors playing cricket on, but with a tennis ball to avoid damaging it. In real life, the staff has never played cricket on the dish. It was a bit of artistic licence.”

I smiled too. “What a shame.” Then I said, “Maybe Anthony will be interested in astronomy when he grows up? Congratulations of your marriage and your son by the way.”

“I don't suppose there's much Kate hasn't told you?”

“Not much,” I agreed, “But anything confidential stays that way, I don't even tell Jack.”

Now it was Gary's turn to change the subject: “Kate told me that you have danced at the Royal Opera House, just as I predicted on our final date.”

“Yes, that was very clever of you.”

“Well anyone could see that you are not only talented but very determined, so I had little doubt that you would achieve anything you wanted to. What is your ultimate ambition?”

“I want to be appointed a Soloist,” I said, “Jack is one already, and I want to catch up. Realistically, I don't think I'll make Principal, although I may get some understudy work for Principal rôles, and the occasional performance. When we retire, Jack and I may open a ballet school.”

The music had finished and Gary escorted me back to the table where Jack was sitting. I had little doubt that he had absented himself just to enable my encounter with Gary to take place. The two men shook hands and said they were pleased to meet. Then I asked Gary to bring Wendy over to meet us if she'd like to. He walked back to his table and returned shortly afterwards with his wife.

Wendy was a pleasant, pretty woman, and rather shy, blushing as she was introduced to Jack and me. I could tell from the way she looked at Gary that she adored him.

“I thought your dancing was amazing,” she said, and we thanked her.

“I must congratulate you on your marriage to Gary, and also on your son, Anthony,” I said, which caused further blushes. “Who's looking after him today?”

“He's with my parents. He loves being with them,” she said. “Would you like to see a picture of him?”

“Yes please,” I replied. I was genuinely interested to see him. He looked a bright little chap and the spitting image of Gary. “Maybe he'll be an astronomer one day?” I said.

The chairs at the table were almost empty as people mingled, so they sat down and we chatted some more. At one point Wendy and I went to the 'Ladies' together as women tend to do. While there, Wendy said, “Gary told me that you were his first real girlfriend.”

“And he was my first real boyfriend,” I said, glad that it was out in the open. “I'll be frank with you, I was very upset when he left for Australia, but of course we were both very young, and so we gradually drifted apart and stopped writing. I've been friends with Kate ever since I met her, and we correspond to this day. I hope that doesn't stop now that she's married.”

“I don't see why it should,” said Wendy. “We're not owned by our husbands the way things were in the old days.” She hesitated. “Do you think you'll have children someday?”

“I'm not sure,” I replied. “It's difficult to mix parenthood and ballet dancing. We have to devote so much time to it and there's touring as well. However professional dancing is not a long career, so perhaps we'll have children after we retire. We are thinking of starting a ballet school. Girls are always interested in ballet, but an increasing number of boys are nowadays as well.”

All four of us got on extremely well and as a result, we swapped email addresses and promised to stay in touch.

When the reception was coming to an end, all the guests formed a circle and Kate and Bruce went around giving everyone a hug and kiss, before heading off on their honeymoon in their car with tin cans rattling along behind as is the tradition.

We took a taxi back to the motel.and were asleep almost before our heads hit the pillows.

We had until the end of the week before flying back to England. Kate and Bruce were off to Queensland on their honeymoon, Gary and Wendy were driving back to Parkes, so we took ourselves on some outings around Melbourne and in the countryside beyond. I had seen the film 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' and since it is only about an hour's drive north of Melbourne, we drove up there to see it. It's the remains of an ancient volcano and had become quite a tourist attraction since the film was made. The rock formations are amazing and I'm sure some people find it quite eerie too. I wonder what Harriet would think of it!

When we flew back to London we had a very pleasant surprise, we were upgraded to Business Class! Far be it for me to speculate why, perhaps we were a young fairly handsome couple, well Jack certainly is, and we were well dressed for the flight, him in a sports coat and blazer and me in a pretty floral frock. Whatever the reason, we have now been totally ruined for travel in 'cattle class' again. What a difference all that extra room makes!

Back at the IBC we were soon into classes and rehearsals again and one day, Miss Higgins told me she wanted to see me in her office in a break between classes. I don't know what it is about Miss Higgins, but I always feel like a naughty schoolgirl being called to the head mistress's office. When I arrived there she asked me to take a seat facing her desk. I confess that my heart was pounding. Then her face broke into a smile.

“Antonette, I am pleased to inform you that at last night's meeting of the executive and committee of the ballet, it was unanimously decided to elevate you to the position of Soloist.”

I gasped. “Oh Miss Higgins, that's wonderful news. Thank you so much.”

“There's no need to thank me, young lady, it's very well deserved. You are very talented and your work ethic is second to none. As you know, our next production will be 'The Nutcracker' and I have you in mind to play 'Columbine'. Well now, I expect you will want to go and tell your husband and friends.”

“Oh yes! And thank you again Miss Higgins.”

It was such a shock, but a very pleasant one, and it turned out to be even more pleasant when I found out that Jack was going to play Harlequin.

And that, dear reader, is where I will leave you, for now. My life, I hope, is far from over, but I do love a happy ending, and following our wedding and Jack and my promotions to Soloist, this seems to be the perfect way to finish this part of my story, except perhaps for that traditional finale which I hope applies to Jack and me

“And they lived happily ever after.”


The End

Author's note: As Antonette points out, there will be more to her story, so after a few month's break, I hope to entertain you once more with the story, this time of Antonette and Jack.
B.W.

up
174 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Snap!!

Christina H's picture

The name plaque on my house is from Honister slate mine, it's a really interesting place and if you are brave enough there is a zip line across the pass!
Perfect place to end this part of the story, all the loose ends have been tied up perfectly - now back to Harriet???

Great side story as usual well written with great characters.

Christina

“And they lived happily ever after.”

Lucy Perkins's picture

..but even better we will have the chance to find out exactly how!
Thank you Bronwen for this absolutely magnificent story. Antonette is a glorious heroine, every bit as engaging and interesting as her friend Dame Harriet, and it has been a joy and a pleasure to read of her life.
You portrayed Kate's wedding so beautifully, that I am afraid to say I cried almost as much as I did at Antonette's wedding. I am so glad that we got to see Gary again, and that he and Wendy seem happy together Moving away at his stage in life must have been a terrible wrench, and he deserves the happiness that he seems to have accrued.
And Antonette made soloist? Fantastic!
By the way, I loved your description of the Honister slate mine. It is in one of my favourite parts of the Lakes, and just reading about it made me smile.
Thank You, Bronwen.
Love Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

I don't normally comment on my own stories but...

I must acknowledge Lucy's suggestion about the mine providing a wedding present. I've been to the Lake District three times, but never visited the mine. In fact I'm not even sure I've heard of it before. How interesting that both Lucy and Christina, two of my regular commentators, have house names on slate from the mine!
Bron

Lovely

Thanks for sharing.

May She Live In Interesting Times

joannebarbarella's picture

That "happily ever after" is unjustifiably hyped and totally boring. We want to see more of Antonette in situations that will capture our hearts and minds (but with happy endings naturally).

I'm sad that this series has ended, although of course I knew it must. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it's like the proverbial Chinese meal. It leaves me hungry for more.

What a great story

Jamie Lee's picture

Every time Jack and Antonette perform outside the Company they are essentially ambassadors not only for their Company but for ballet. Ballet is not everyone's cup of tea, but by Jack and Antonette giving an up close performance some may decide to attend a performance.

All of Antonette's hard work finally paid off, she has become a soloist. She achieved her heart's desire. And perhaps if her work ethic continues, and as she gains experience as a soloist, she might become a principle.

This is a story that's well worth the time to read and enjoy. The characters and situations seemed like those people face every day. And the detail given made it easy to visualize each event as it was described.

It would be a pleasure to read another story.about the further life of Antonette and Jack French.

Others have feelings too.

Excellent work!

I haven't been to this site for a while and was lucky enough to come across this story today! I read the whole thing from start to finish in one sitting (with minor breaks for lunch etc.). I have to say how impressed I am with this and how well you've handled crafting such a wonderful story!

I must say, I've laughed out loud in a few places and had to get a box of tissues for others. I find your writing filled with love, hope and kindness and done in a masterful way.

Thank you for posting this, you've made my day! I hope to see more of these two as suggested at the end of the story! Who knows who might enroll in Jack and Antonette's dance academy...

Thank you

Thank you so much for your very kind review of my latest novel, I am so glad you enjoyed it. I have made a start on the sequel but it will probably take me a few months before I start posting as I've discovered it is much better to write the whole story first rather than write a chapter at a time and post it. With the whole story written, I can go back and make adjustments to previous chapters when necessary to make the story flow better. I love writing and would do it even if nobody read my stories but to hear that someone has really enjoyed one is an added bonus.
With Best Wishes,
Bronwen