Letters from Sky - Part 16 & Epilogue

Printer-friendly version

"...how can Sky not live happily ever after?"


Letters from Sky


By Jan S

Part 16 & Epilogue

 © 2008 by Jan S


Monday, May 26th (Morning)

Hi, Marsh
It's your Sister!! :)

You around, Marsha? I still haven't heard from you, I guess 'cuz of the holiday, and things come up.

Anyway, I did call Dr. Ross and started to leave a message on the machine at her emergency line, and before I even got done she called on my cell, and said that my revery thing made sense to her!!

And that it might be an epiphany, which is like when you realize something for real all the sudden, and at least it is enough to give being a girl a try full time, and I can even start taking pills to be a better one. They aren't the pills that will make me grow like a girl, but just to stop me becoming more like a man for now. And Kaezee had told me about them because I can't start the others for a while, until I'm sixteen or almost am probably. But these will stop me from getting a low voice and big muscles and all that kind of junk at least. Kaezee even said it was good about being a year behind in school, because it will be less noticed that I'm not growing up for right now too.

But Dr. Ross wanted me to get a physical first and have to wait, but I told her about all the test with the stomach doctors, and she is going to get the results faxed tomorrow and, if it's the right test and OK, she will have the pills for me at her office on Wednesday morning!!! Which is still two whole days of becoming more like a man, but the best we could do.

And when I told Daddy what I had realized he was happy for me too. And he agreed it meant getting a fancy dinner to celebrate, and I even got to wear my high heels at last last night and, because we couldn't get a reservation 'til late, he took me to the Mall, and I got my ears pierced while we were waiting!!!

And most days that's two things that would have been huge headline for me!! Right?

And for now I have to only use these studs for forever and do lots of cleaning stuff for almost all summer, but Daddy bought me two other pairs to use as soon as I can. One is little gold loops with a little diamond (only looks like one, probably) right at top. And one is real diamonds in a star shape that we got at better store than just Clair's. But the ones I got for the training period are OK too; they're flowers with fake diamonds and emeralds.

So a third thing that would have been a headline too!! I get to go swimming today!!! Remember? I don't have to just sit and watch, and lots of the kids were like they didn't want to go today, because it is too crowded and with lots and lots of olds around that have the day off. But I asked them too (OK, I begged and, maybe, pretended to pout a little.) and Lisa and Amanda and Wendy are going to come, they think. And Zack said he was going to try real hard to, but he was still in trouble, and had a hard time getting to come Friday. But, and he said he wanted to "baptize me." As if!!!

Daddy, made me show him all my suits this morning, and I don't think he liked the butt-dents one, but he's letting me keep it, and it's what I'm wearing today. The yellow one I have to take back, because he says that from across the pool that color would make me look like I had nothing on, and because the sheer stuff would let me burn too, and sales people don't know how easily I do that. But I can keep the cover-up for it if they will let me.

OK, bye. Write real soon, OK?

Hugs and Loves and More,
Your sister!!! :)
Sky



>>Monday, May 26th (evening)

ZACHERY PHILIPS!!!!
You do NOT OWN ME!!!

I can't believe you would do that, Zack!!! You know it's a secret!!!

Besides I have spies!! I know you brother's girl friend, dummy!! And if anyone ever hears about my screaming when I got my ears pierced, everyone will know your middle name isn't Jonathon; it's worse, Ignatius!!!

Besides, I didn't scream that loud and lots of people do it anyway, and the piercing girl said I was at least third in loudness ever, Iggie. :-P

Ohhh, your initials are Z-I-P; that's cute! Eww. It might be worth it. So there.

Bye, Zippy.

Can you say PWNed? I knew you could. :-PPPPPP (that's a real long tongue sticking out btw)

Smiles,
Sky

P.S.: Are you going to be able to come to the pool again tomorrow? I'll probably have to leave about three; my 'rent has some big mystery thing he wants to do.

But know what? He said he was going to apply for membership there this week. bye



>>Monday, May 26th (evening)

Hi, Mike!
You think I'm pretty and cute!!!! Really????? Of course, you have to say that, being a big bro and all, but I'm glad you did -- now say it lots, lots and lots more, so I believe you believe it, OK ;-)

I didn't even know Daddy sent the fishing pictures to Marsha that she sent to you. Did he send the ones in my gypsy dress? It's my favorite, I think. And she never told me she had told you, but I'm glad because it is hard to explain.

And, Michael, I'm real, real, real happy you aren't all flipped 'bout it and all. I was scared you would be, you know? But you still have it wrong though.

I don't pretend to be a girl, ever -- ever, Michael. I am one, and always was. C? I know that. I know it now a lot!!!

If you don't believe in that, I guess it is Ok, and you can just pretend that I'm pretending, I guess. That's alright and lots better than telling me I'm not. But can you tell me if you're only pretending, or if you know the truth? OK?

And see, I don't really know how it all happened, Mike, at all really. But out here I think I just met lots of peeps who didn't mind me being me, and maybe because they know there were peeps like me already, and that made it OK. And I thought it might be a plot, but everyone says no 'bout that, so I think it wasn't, and I don't even care now, because it is so much right. OK???

So tomorrow!!!!!!! I Can't Wait I Can't Wait I can't wait I Can't Wait I Can't Wait I can't wait I Can't Wait I Can't Wait I can't wait I Can't Wait I Can't.

But I got to warn you, Mike!! When I see you tomorrow, I'm going to run and jump on you and give you the biggest hug ever. Michael, girls can do that to their brothers, C, and don't have to act all cool and stuff when they're happy. So be ready for a ninety-two pound cannon ball right in the airport!!

And, Mike, You BETTER hug me back almost hard enough to hurt too!! Because if you don't it will hurt me a lot, and I'll show it right there in front of everybody. Because girls can feel things and show it too. And now I can. OK?

So you better! :-)

Love you lots, Big Bro!!
Sky

P.S.: It's been sooooooooo long!!

P.P.S.: I can't wait!!!!!! (did I say that already?) :-P



>>Monday, May 26th (night)

Marsh???
Are you OK?? Really. Maybe it's a 'puter thing, but try to write me. OK, maybe I'm just being silly again and all. But please. I sent you lots of important things and haven't heard back. Please be OK and me stupid. There's tons and tons of really great things more to tell, and I've no one to say it too!!!!

She scares me, Mars.

Hugs and Loves and Kisses,
Sky



>>Monday, May 26th (night)

Michael,
Can you get in touch with Marsha, Michael? She hasn't written in two days almost, and I think she would have, and Daddy doesn't want to call her or me to, because she is at that house and everything. Try and call, I know it is real late there and you're not getting email much and all but please see this.

Let me know, OK?
Hugs,
Sky



>>Tuesday, May 27th (early morning)

Hi, Mike,
Did you ever try to get Mars? I still haven't heard from her. Please, just go to Panera's or Starbuck's already!!! Please, check you mail, Mike.

Love,
Sky



>>Tuesday, May 28th (afternoon)

Dear Mama,
Hello. I sent you something last Friday, and they said you would get it today. I hope you have already, and I hope you like it. I made it in a pottery class.

I sent it to let you know that I still love you, Mama.

I still remember all the times you were nice, and when you took care of me when I was sick and things.

Daddy also told me that you named me Jude after your aunt named Judith, and Skyler after your Mother's last name. I think your giving me names from your family shows you loved me once, and I've decided to use those names.

We live a long way away now. We moved here on March 20th, and I have made lots and lots of friend's. They really like me and know lots of things about me and still like me, Mama. They like me the way I really am. I hope that makes you happy that it is like that for me.

I just still love you, and I wanted you to have the rose, and I wonder if you still love me too.

If you do, please write back.

With love,
Your Child,
Jude
a.k.a., Judey; a.k.a., Jesse; a.k.a., Sky; a.k.a., Jessie; a.k.a., Skye
(They are all me, Mama. And I have to be who they are.)



>>Tuesday, May 28th (Night)

Hi, Marsha
Again!! I so glad, Mars!!!!!!!! Daddy told me to come and write you because I was no good for some one to talk to all night, and he couldn't even watch TV with me there. He said he's going to call Mike and leave a message to tell him to tell you to look at your email when you're waiting in Denver, and so maybe you will get this if Mike turns on either his laptop or his cell.

And because so he won't go deaf from my talking the whole way back from the airport and others might get a chance to say something sometime too. He can be real mean to me sometimes with stuff like that, did you know that? Did he tease you like that too? I mean, I can't help being happy, can I? Right?

At least she didn't try and lock you up or something, Marsha. Or do anything like that. And Daddy said that, if you kept the pieces, the hard drive might still be good, and that tech peeps can put it into another 'puter and get all the stuff off of it, or a lot at least, but you probably know more 'bout that anyway. And I'm glad you knew the Sterns next door already and could go there too.

Marsh, was it because she got something from me? Because I sent her something, and it wasn't supposed to get there 'til today, but I guess it couldn't have by Sunday if that was when she went off.

Marsha, do you think she will always be like that? Do you think there might be some way to make her get better? I mean, Zack has changed a whole, whole lot, right? Do you think something like that might could happen with Mama? It would be nice if something would work, wouldn't it?

But anyway there is tons and tons I could tell you and I couldn't say it all on the phone, or Daddy says what I said I said so fast you couldn't have understood anyway. And it was so great to hear you! Do you know it's been since August that I haven't heard you? Or maybe a couple of times when I was at her house, but not very much. And I'm going to see you tonight!!!! !!!!!! So, YEA!!!!! !!!!! !!!!!! !!!!!

Do you know that Daddy tried to think he could make me wait at home again when the planes were changed, just because it's not here 'til after midnight!!! I mean he really did. And he also saidf he's going to fill up the swimming pool just because it's shaped like a kidney!! But, oh, you don't know yet. But Daddy bought a house!!!

And Marsh it is THE house. The one with the round tower on it that I told you about and everything, and he hadn't even told me at all, because he said he didn't want to until he had heard from the bank. And he told me that was because I don't know what "maybe' means, and he said if I do, then I forgot when it was a maybe about something I really wanted, and he didn't want my hopes way up, so he didn't say anything, but he was the person that had made the offer to buy it last week!!

And he waited 'til heard from the bank before he told me, and we are going to move into it just next week too. And I didn't know where we were going, and I felt like that girl in that Santa Clause movie, the real old one, when we drove up and Daddy said it was our house and it was my house too!!!!

And the round part downstairs does have a window seat, sort of, and it goes all around most of the room, and we're maybe going to put the piano in there, which will almost fill it up. But the upstairs round part is a sitting part of the master bedroom, the one with its on huge bathroom and all, and Daddy says I can't have it. But I'm going to use this room that is in the attic which has those windows that stick up on the roof, you know? And they have real, real window seats where you're like in away from the room, you know what I mean? But you will get to see it all tomorrow too, and see what it's like, and it has two bedrooms and a bath in the attic part, and two small and the giant bedroom on the upstairs, and it doesn't have a basement at all, but it has a room off to the side that will be like a rec. room, and it has a pool.

But it's a kidney shaped pool, and Daddy say that, because he's a nephrologists, he doesn't want to spend all day long taking care of people's kidneys and then come home and try to relax in something that shape, and so he's going to fill it in! And I know he's just kidding, 'cuz he's got to be, but he kept a straight face the whole time about it, so be on my side, and we can't let that happen. OK?

But anyway you will see the house tomorrow!!! Oh, and Daddy says it's not because of the trust funds or anything that he could get it, but because he sold the old cabin and found a renter for two years on our house. But it's not terrible, because the buyer is that guy that is really Daddy's cousin but wanted us to call him Uncle Joe and Aunt Kate, remember? He used to come there sometimes. And they're going to build a new house to retire in, and the cabin will be a guesthouse we can use anytime we want.

And, I really, really haveta tell you about yesterday because one real important thing happened at the pool yesterday, and one thing that might be real nice too. So, to keep it all in time order. (Remember when I had to used to do that all the time, along time ago?)

OK, so to start. Ms Y was over talking to Dr. Ross, so I went to say hi, and Dr Ross gave me a giant hug right away, because of the revery thing and everything, and then we told it to Ms Y., and Ms Y. asked if that meant I was going to go to school as a girl and all.

And I had thought about how great it would all be to do that, and Dr. Ross nodded to say she thought it would be good too. But I hadn't thought about how to get the school to let me. But Ms Y. said the middle-school dean for the Hall was at the pool, and I should talk to her right then and took me over, and she was the lady that had interviewed me, and she recognized me even though I was wearing my teal one-piece, and Ms Y. was standing there, but I had to do all the talking, and had to say I wanted to go to the hall as a girl, and I said it was because that was what I really was too.

And the lady smiled and said that was great news, because there were going to be three more boys in the seventh grade than girls, but now there would only be one more. And so just like that I am a girl at Westcott Hall, Marsh!!!! Because I knew they allowed very special kinds of girls there, because of Kaezee, and Ms. Herman did look over at Dr. Ross before she said that too. Ms. Herman is the dean person.

And so then the other real good yesterday thing, Marsh. At least I hope it is. Zack got to the pool later, and yeah he "baptized" me, three times, even though I had been in the pool a lot before he got there, but he wasn't mean, and didn't hold me under very long, and then he stopped after three. But here's the good thing, I took Zack over to Dr. Herman and told her that he was on the waiting list for eighth grade, and she remembered him, and I said he was real nice and would be real good for the eighth grade.

And she scowled at me and said, "Miss Eliot, we do not accept students based on how good a boy friend they will make for another student." And of course, I was real embarrassed and figured I'd messed up royal and more, but then she smiled and said, "However, knowing that Zack Philips is a nice boy is important information for us to consider."

So, do you think I helped and all? Do you think he's going to get in, Marsh?

And so one more thing, and it was today, and don't let Mike read this part!!!!! Delete it or something. But today at the pool there weren't very many people, but Amanda was there and so was Zack, and so was Jeff, that's that boy that was in fishing. But Lisa and Wendy were both at a special long dancing class, and couldn't come today, to get ready for their recital, which is on Saturday, and you can probably come too it if you want to.

But anyway, last weekend I'd tried to get Lisa with Jeff at the movie, but he wound up sitting with both her and Amanda, and talking to Amanda mostly. And then yesterday when he saw Amanda in this purple two piece with like a skirt around the bottom that's lace, and lacey stuff at the top too, he said, "That suit just looks totally gay," to Amanda.

And Amanda smiled and said, "Thanks." Like it was a compliment and now I think it probably is when Jeff says that to a girl. Right? And Amanda says she can fix that part of him, no prob.

Oh, and also, yesterday Lisa talked to this boy who was in her class a lot, and he has real big ears and braces, and someone should tell him or his mom that long hair or short hair is OK now, but not hair like he gets it cut. But anyway I think Lisa likes him, and he was nice too. So it's OK that Amanda is going with Jeff.

But here's the thing that happened, Marsh. There are these tall bushes over beside the tennis courts and between the pool, and on Friday I saw Becky and a boy go back over there for a long time, so they must be kind of famous. And this afternoon Amanda pulled Jeff's hand and they went back there and, then when she came back, she wouldn't say what they had done or how far, but just giggled. And when I looked at Zack, he just blushed, but I knew he wanted to go too or that Jeff would rib him about not going. And so we went back behind those bushes, and we made out!!! And he hugged me and we kissed and he rubbed my back, but he didn't try to put his hand into my suit at all except right on the top of the bottom. And he was real nice. Real, real, real.

So don't tell that to Daddy!! Because I don't think he thinks I'm old enough yet. And be sure Michael read about it either, OK?

And, also, Zack put his tongue in my mouth, but I don't think we did that part right, because it was a lot nicer when we just kissed lips and hugged, so do you think that you could tell me how to do that sometime?

But, actually we just spent most of the time talking about things to make people think we were doing it more than we did, and that was almost the nicest part of being back there too.

OK, so I can't really think of other stuff to tell you. And now I won't have a thing to talk about when you actually get here. :( But I guess that'll make Daddy happy, huh?

If you flap your arms while on the plane, will that make it go quicker?? :-P

HappyHAPPYhappyHAPPY HAPPYhappyHAPPYhappy HappyHAPPY happyHAPPY HAPPYhappyHAPPYhappy HAPPYhappyHAPPYhappy

Do you think she will ever, ever be better?

Your plane should almost be in Denver now. 4 HOURS!!

Oh, wait, gosh, I almost forgot!! I have a babysitting job on Friday, and it will probably be my last one for the summer, because they're going to their dad's, and then their beach house, and then camp. And I won't get money because I owe Ms Y. a bunch, but here's the important thing about it!! She's going out with Daddy to dinner! AND it is Not a group thing or anything, just the two together alone!!! ;-))

And one more thing, I think I'm going to get this swim suit, to replace that orange one I have to take back, that is a two piece but the top comes almost down to the top of the bottom part, and only a bit of tum shows, and it has ruffles at the bottom of the top and for the shoulder straps and is a real pretty blue, and I think Kaezee thought it was to kiddy-ish, but I'm only starting seventh after all so it will be cute, and that store has some broomstick dresses on sale, and I might get one that is red and blue plaid and about three sizes small and use it for a cover up. What do you think of that idea? We can go and try it at the store first, OK?

OK, so bye for now, CYL, HURRY!!

Oh, yeah, Lisa and Wendy invited me to their beach house too, and Daddy says he won't let me go, because he can't afford that much sun block!! But we will see about that, right? And maybe you can come too, if you want.

OK, bye.

Loves and Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!
Sky

PS. I'm so happy!!



>>Tuesday, May 28th (Night, five minutes later)

Hi, Mike

If you open this on the layover, could you give the 'puter to Marsha and tell her to check her mail?

It's mostly just girl stuff that you wouldn't be interested in, so don't try and look over her shoulder and like that, OK? And she can tell you all about the new house and things too.

BTW, Daddy isn't mad at all about you missing the other plane to go and help Marsha. Because he said you were actually apologizing about it, and that made him laugh that you would.

4 HOURS, Bro!!!!!!!!!! Don't forget to get all set for the cannonball when you get here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours --- go sit on the wing and flap your arms, Michael. I can't wait!!!

Loves,
Sky



>>Wednesday, May 28th (afternoon)

Dear Mama,
I tried to read your letters, all three.

I wish I had not hurt you so much. I never, never wanted to, but you didn't let me do anything else and stay me.

I'm sorry you didn't like the rose I sent. I know that most of the petals were broken off, I thought that made it look sad, but still pretty.

Mama, I'd hoped that when I said in my letter I still loved you, you could find some love still too.

Because love has to be returned for the magic to work. And things become people again. Because I'm not a thing, Mama.

I only am to you, and that is because of you. And that's, maybe, what started all the bad stuff.

I had hoped the rose would help you see that I still remember the good things, and you would see that they can all fall away. And I hoped that you might want to save some of those good things still. I guess not.

See, Mama, even with all that you did and stealing the money too, I still love you. You've got lots of money still from grandpaw, and that should be OK, just not rich. And we aren't going to want you to get sent to jail still at all either, Mama.

Mama, if anything ever does change, and you want my love again or want to love me again, write me, but from now on you have to send it to Daddy's lawyer, and he will send it to a lady I know, who will read it first.

I just don't want to hear you growl and snarl and swipe and claw at me anymore anymore, Mama. I just don't ever again. So the lady will make sure that is not what any letter from you is.

Only five people have ever sent me things at this email, and I've given them all my new address. Don't bother sending things here, Mama, because I'm closing it down forever.

Goodbye, Mama
I still love you,
Sky


 § § §

EPILOGUE: In spite of that last letter, I held out hope that I'd get some more Sky letters. I hoped the account would be left open after all, and Sky would find a reason to use it; a change in the mother, or maybe just a letter from that boy at the fishing resort; or, maybe, that the gremlin that sent these letters to me was lodged in Sky's computer or IP address, rather than the email account. But it's been three months; Mike, Zack and Lisa have all been at camps or on vacations; Sky must have written someone, and the letter didn't come to me, so the gremlin must have been in the address, and now it's gone.

I guess I -- we -- will never really know what happened with Marsha that weekend, but I think we know enough.

And since she clearly breached her fiduciary responsibilities, I'm sure Sky's mother has already been removed as trustee of their trust funds, and the guardian of the life estate will be alert.

There is one thing I think Sky missed, however, one very important thing. The Beast let Belle leave once; Zachery once let Sky go; but Sky's mother never gave Sky her freedom. I hope Sky never, never thinks that the failure to break that curse was within her own heart.

I think, even with all that baggage, all that past, Sky is going to do all right, but I will never really know. I mean being who she is, how can Sky not live happily ever after? Or at least as much so, and for as long as, any of us can hope to in real life. But I confess, I believe that of many people, and it seldom works out. This time, though, it will.

Seek Joy,
Jan.

up
60 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sweet and a Little Sad

terrynaut's picture

Awwwww. I got a little misty eyed when I read Sky's letters to her mother. It's too bad the mother can't overcome whatever problems she has but I'm glad that it looks like that won't stop Sky from thriving.

I hope the email gremlin comes back someday to give us an update of Sky's life.

Okay. I've pretended that I've been sleeping and dreaming long enough. It's time to crawl off to bed and dream about reading the story of Sky's future.

Thanks for this story!

- Terry

Clap, cry, clap

SO good! So many emotional highs and lows from beginning to end, a joy to read, and even though it hurts to end it, it feels good to know that no matter what, Sky is loved.

Melanie E.

Congratulations Jan

...on coming up with this unique way of telling a story. I found it very effective seeing everything from only Sky's point of view, in her own language.

And leaving it where you did, with questions still unanswered, means I will be thinking about this story for some time to come - wondering how things turned out.

well done!
Pleione

Sky

Ver well done.

I see difficulties in writing a story this way with only one side of all of the letters, but you seemed to handle them well. If it really was this way the letters wouldn't have read that well at all. For it is obvious you added a lot of stuff to the letters for clarification of the subject matter.

Hugs
Joni

One of the best stories in

One of the best stories in BC theses days; believable, sweet and a great read. I'd have loved to have known more of the background and future but it all meshed well so while it'd be nice to know it doesn't detract from what I do know.

The Legendary Lost Ninja

Really Really Nice Jan

Everything's tied up pretty well. You can almost envision "and they lived happily ever after except for their mother who died lonely and bitter". It was fun to guess what was going on as the story progressed. I'm pretty happy that I was mostly right.

Thank you, for a really unique and fun story.

Nice way to wrap it up, Jan

Bitter sweet, what with the mom and her apparent attack on Marsha, or at least on her computer, but then attacking a computer can be justifiable. Ang of AEAFOAB fame seems to have a love/hate realtionship with hers.

Shy is too sweet and nice to want her Mom to be punished but after what she has done to her kids, and Sky in particular, Mom needs time in jail or better, in a mental hospital. There is something seriously mentally wrong with her and it’s getting worse overtime. Is it a family trait Sky and her siblings need to watch out for –IE schizophrenia that gets worse over time, is it a slow growing brain tumor, is it early onset dementia/Alzheimer’s, whatever Mom needs help.

I hope she can be cured and some semblance of a relationship can be rebuilt but the assault, the abuse, the theft need to be addressed and I’m afraid Mom will need to pay it all back plus penalties and spend time in prison. What a fool. She had a comfortable life, a hard working husband, loving kids and threw it away.

A different way to tell a story, all one voice. It was like an old Bob Newhart comedy routine but expanded and turned into a drama.

Nice balance of telling us just enough yet making us wish for more. If you ever want to revisit this, you picked an excellent place to stop. The story is compete as it stands yet allows for more. Nice work.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

It's a curse

You know I didn't actually write these, just found them in my inbox and all, but I think it is a curse she is under, John, not anything genetic. And one she became susceptible to because she treated people like objects, defined by their roles. And then the curse led to the greed and other beastly acts. Just MHO. (then again, maybe not. If the story didn't tell it, it isn't true.)

Joy; Jan

One last question...

You know I didn't actually write these, just found them in my inbox and all

Suuuuuuure, you did!! :D I'm still waiting to see the headers from some of those emails, so that I can help you to figure out why your mail to Sky's address bounced, when everyone else seemed able to write to her.

There is one thing I think Sky missed, however, one very important thing. The Beast let Belle leave once; Zachery once let Sky go; but Sky's mother never gave Sky her freedom.

The key to Iron Jane's {giggle!} cage is hidden underneath the mother's pillow. Sky will need to sneak into her bedroom and steal the key in order to gain her freedom; mom will never just give it to her. This is not true just for Sky, but generally so for nearly all of us.

I can't recall offhand the early SciFi pioneer -- was it Aldous Huxley in Brave New World? -- who introduced the idea of "feelies": each seat in the movie theater has a metal sphere on each armrest; grasp the spheres to experience the other sensations that go along with the sight and sound. Jan, you have succeeded in causing me to experience what Sky was experiencing -- all of the bafflement, confusion, surmises, questions half answered (or not at all), and final emergence into the clarity and centeredness of knowing who she is at last -- all along with her, as she was experiencing them. You even satisfied my curiosity as to why Sky's letters suddenly stopped arriving.

I only have one question left: where the heck can I find a layered gypsy skirt with fringes and handkerchief hems, like Sky's??

Molly

"Sometimes, I just can't help myself!" -Babs Bunny

Molly

"Sometimes, I just can't help myself!" -Babs Bunny

“Letters from Sky’ is wonderful to the last line!

Once my skeptical mind accepted that a quirk in cyberspace did indeed redirect the e-mail correspondence of a boy on the verge of girlhood into your own in-box, Jan, I was hooked. You found Sky’s ‘authentic voice’ and he found his way to happiness. This beautifully crafted story has reached a very satisfying conclusion. Congratulations on a damn’d good read! Now get cracking on the next chapter of ‘Tales from a Life.’ Hugs, Daphne

Daphne

I think I agree Jan

kristina l s's picture

Sky is gonna be just fine. Friends and family are a good start and despite the mother she has those. This was an unusual take on a simple story and I'm glad that gremlin let us have a peek. Lovely.

Kristina

Awwww

I'm impatient, so sometimes I prefer to start reading a serial only after it's finished, so I don't have to wait for the next part. I just went through all of these in a couple days; it was just too hard to put down. Thanks for sharing this wonderful story, however it found its way to you.

One more Sky Letter

I got this letter last night and am just passing it along to everyone.

>>Monday, August 25th (night)

Wow -- you mean all those letters got posted up and people liked reading them too? I guess that is kinda neat -- I mean, I hope no one starts asking me for my autograph, or starts telling the world about me and stuff, but it's OK that they liked knowing about the story and things. That really was a weird and a half time and all, huh?

But now I'm back to the same ol', same ol', I guess. School starts Wednesday, and all that stuff, and I've had orientation for today and tomar. Blahhhhh.

The summer was cool though. I just about lived in my swim suits, between going to the club and the pool in the yard, and we can't skinny dip at my house, because of the bike path going just behind it. But Daddy isn't going to fill it in at least and might make it bigger and round instead. And we went to the Grand Canyon and rode mules all the way down into it and stayed down there for a day too, and that is like really cool. All you peeps should do that some day if you can.

And I spent two whole weeks at Lisa's beach house. And I did get real burned and things, and now have about a million more freckles, especially on my legs and butt parts that never used to show when I wore all yucky cloths all the time. And Daddy is mad about that, because he worries about that a lot, but you know he says he doesn't have freckles at all and is just one giant freckle (well, it's a joke he says about himself, so I can repeat it.), and that's sort of true, they all just hook up there's so many, and I don't come anywhere close to that, so why should he always be giving me a hard time about it?

But so anyway, summer is mostly over now, and it's all school again, and even at the orientation stuff Zack is kinda being a jerk, like an eighth grader is just way too cool to go with a seventh grader and all like that. Marsh says he will get over it and tenth graders don't mind freshman girl friends, but that is forever. But he isn't being mean or anything; just, you know, not like letting people know we're together, and there are some cute seventh graders too, but they are pretty immature.

Mostly the teachers at Westcott Hall seem OK too, and my English guy is the guy that was my tutor last year, and I like him. And in our science class we're going to do frogs and a baby pig; I think that is sooo cool, but some peeps were like; "Eww, gross", and stuff too. And this one girl was like it is way cruel and all, and maybe so, but it is for learning and I might be a doctor if I'm not a writer, so I need to know what things look like on the inside, right?

OK, I guess I went way too long like I do sometimes, but I thought some peeps might want an update on "The Incredible Life of Sky" and all, since they liked my letters.

And so anyway, I am happy you got to read them and that you did like them, OK? But I probably won't write again, because I don't really want to be famous really, at least not for that stuff, and not until I write my books and things. OK? Bye.

Smiles,
Sky


So it sounds like Sky is doing real well.

I'm very happy that so many of you enjoyed her letters too. Thank you for reading, even thank you for enjoying them and, especially, thank you for all the truly great comments. I couldn't be happier with the response if I had actually written them myself.

Seek Joy,
Jan

PS: OK, I confess, I didn't really get another letter last night. I just made this up. I don't know how Sky could learn the letters were here, but I do think Sky would be happy all of you were so interested.

I did do a pretty good job of sounding like her though, didn't I?

Replys

Comments on this comment, when it was posted as a blog:

Nice Sendoff
Submitted by terrynaut on Tue, 2008/08/26 - 8:02pm.
Thanks Jan. I needed that. I just got back from a long technical interview. Ugh.
I'm sure Sky is well on her way to being a happy and healthy girl. This last letter was nice but not necessary. After all, if you kept it up, it might feel like I was reading diary entries or something. I just couldn't do that! *giggle*
Thanks again. I look forward to reading more of your stories so you'll have to keep writing.
Hug
- Terry

Jan, amazing how you did that ---SPOILER --
Submitted by John in Wauwatosa on Tue, 2008/08/26 - 8:05pm.
I mean, you faked a letter from Sky absolutely convincingly.
If you are right and it was a curse that is destroying the mom, I wonder what she did as a child or as young mother to earn it? The problem with the curse is innocents are being hurt and I find it hard to believe she was that bad to deserve this. My guess is she likely was a selfish teen, as many are, and was slow to grow out of it, maybe a pampered sole child. Somehow, she said or did an unkind thing to a witch/sorceress and thus the self-reinforcing curse to make her to more and more violent and material to the point of selfdistruction..
The problem is the rule of three that often governs Wicca magic. Unless the gods agreed with the punishment, whatever is happening to her will happen to the spell caster triple. That and the curse seems not to allow for any redemption on the mother’s part. Poor Sky, forgiving in the extreme, yet vilified by her mother, even to attempting to steal from her children’s trusts. And Sky in the wrong body for her mind or so it seems. A very nasty curse and that spell caster has a lot to answer for.
A great story.
John in Wauwatosa

Letters From Sky

I just discovered the Letters From Sky By Jan S. seven years after they were posted here on BC. This series is a real gem that deserves a look. Once I began reading the first posting, I could not stop until I completed the final posting of the series. (16 in total)

There were several plot twists which I did not anticipate. I had a few happy tears while reading it. Most who read this story will be glad they did!

_Bev_