Heavy Lies the Head

Printer-friendly version

Some months ago there was a "Reluctant Princess" contest and I started writing this for that contest... but I hit one of those little "Sleeping policemen" and haven't really written anything since. Here is the beginning of the third book in the series that began with "Murder in the Holy City" and continued with "The Masque of NeverMore".

You might want to read the first two if you haven't already or this bit might not make a great deal of sense.

On with the story!

Heavy Lies the Head

“They did WHAT?!? How could they possibly disqualify practically the entire line of succession?” Charlotte was trying to come to grips with the abrupt change in her life.

“But Cherie… there was no way to know! I never thought such a thing possible! Who could ever imagine the independence vote would mean a new monarchy? And then this… I know as much as I wanted to be your Prince Charming I never in my life imagined I would actually be a prince!”

“Yves…” Charlotte trailed off and shook her head. “So I’m a princess? I don’t even believe in monarchies!”

“Democratically elected monarchy which is mostly a figurehead while parliament does the actual governing. They actually wrote a constitution around it, all sorts of checks and balances… you should read it. Its one of the more interesting hybrids I’ve seen when it comes to governments and constitutions…” Yves tried to keep his attention on the conversation but was entranced with the sight of their daughter suckling at his wife’s breast.

“You’re such a geek” she smiled at him, seeing the subject of his gaze. “Send me a copy so I can read it when I get a chance.”

Yves bent over and kissed her gently, careful not to disturb their daughter. “Any preference for food?” He’d learned to ask ahead of time during her pregnancy.

Charlotte thought for a moment. “You know I could go for a steak, maybe an egg or two? Nursing makes me hungry.”

“As you wish…” Yves moved away before he spoke “Princess.”

She glared at him but not terribly hard.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Some while later they polished off the last of a truly delicious meal which did indeed contain both steak and eggs.

“Thank you love, that was delicious and just what I needed. I never expected to eat quite so much while nursing but at least the baby fat went away pretty quickly… except a couple of places.” She patted her hip and Yves leered.

“I happen to think that little extra is quite beautiful. It makes you even more sensual and I didn’t even think that was possible.”

“Awww, that’s sweet. You get the next diaper change and midnight feeding.” She giggled at the face he pulled. “But right now I think I’d like to get a little exercise in and I need a partner. Come on, dishes can wait!” She got up and took Yves’ hand, leading him toward their bedroom.

Some while later after some fairly noisy exertions she lay with her head on his chest, listening to his heart. “You know you’ve always been my Prince Charming. You had the patience to wait until I was comfortable every step of the way and I can’t imagine most guys would have done that. You’ve been right by my side doing crazy and dangerous things purely because it was the right thing to do. I can’t imagine any man being better, as a husband or as a prince and I’m glad to be yours even if it means I have to be a princess now.”

A light snore was her answer and she giggled to herself while drifting off.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

When she woke she was alone in the bed and could hear their daughter laughing and cooing through the partially opened door as her husband babbled in baby-speak and made funny noises. What was she to do about being a princess? Would her life become public? Would she have to stop taking on missions, doing the work she loved? Would she even be accepted by the people who’d voted for this monarchy?

Charlotte lay there for a while pondering the future until biology forced her to get up and make her way into the bathroom. After doing the needful and taking a shower she stood in front of the large floor to ceiling mirror that covered one wall looking at her reflection. ‘About an inch more around the hips, a cup and a half bigger on the boobs’ she mused to herself. ‘It looks like so much more and I do like it but the boobs get in the way.’

She turned her attention to hair and makeup, going for a breezy afternoon look with a floaty top and skirt along with some medium wedges. Her top and bra were both designed for easy access to allow for nursing although it wasn’t apparent, being quite well designed to hide their true nature. Scooping up her large purse and the diaper bag which sat at the ready she made her way out into the living area to find man and baby ready to go except for the fact that their daughter lay on his chest as he leaned back on the sofa, both of them asleep with his arms around her.

After taking a moment to snap a few photos she gently woke him, then picked up her still sleeping daughter and secured her in a baby carrier for their trip. They made their way through the corridors into the craft bay/garage, securing first their daughter, then themselves before closing up. A quick taxi over to the lift and Firefly rose into the light, turbine coming to life as soon as the early afternoon light shone through the windscreen. Fans spun up until Charlotte changed pitch on the blades and they lifted off smoothly but quickly, rising to a height of several hundreds of meters before the transition to level flight took over.

Clearance had been obtained on the ascent and she soon pushed the throttles to 50% as they rose quickly, careful to avoid any significant g forces. By the time they reached their cruising altitude of 30 km she had engaged the scramjets and their speed was well over 3,000 knots. After some time she turned things over to the onboard systems and relaxed a little, reaching out to hold Yves’ hand across the console.

“So what does your mom think about becoming a queen?”

Yves snorted a laugh. “Dad said he’s pretty sure he learned a few new curse words. She was not happy…”

“I can well imagine! Oh well, at least I have another princess to commiserate with…”

“Yeah… Lissa kinda bailed. She and Francois are off in the Alps somewhere lying low and hoping to avoid all the attention.” He grimaced. “After hearing some of what the next week will be like I can’t blame them!”

“Oh we’ll see about that!” Charlotte turned to the controls, altering their heading somewhat. “If we have to do this coronation thing they have to as well!”

Yves began laughing in earnest, finally subsiding to chuckles as she stared at him frostily. “Oh this is gonna be awesome! I can’t wait to see you dragging my sister into the car and strapping her down!”

“Pfeh! We’ll deal with it like reasonable women. No dragging and strapping unless she gets stroppy about it!” Charlotte gave in to her own laughter and it was a few minutes before they stopped cracking little jokes to each other, keeping it going. By the time she began descending over Switzerland they’d both subsided to the occasional smirk or snort and Charlotte was focusing on flying down into and then between the towering mountains, finally landing on a small pad beside a vehicle similar to her own.

As she powered the car down the front door of the large chalet opened and the figure that emerged came walking toward them, stopping just a few feet away as Charlotte and Yves both unstrapped and got out to give Lissa a hug, followed by Francois and another exchange of hugs.

“Here to drag us out of our retreat, I take it?” Lissa inquired.

“Well I was hoping there wouldn’t be any dragging, just the offer of a ride and a shoulder if you need it.” Charlotte gave her sister in law a quick squeeze as they held an arm around each other’s waist.

“No, no dragging… I just… I’m a little scared of the whole thing. I have no idea how to be a princess! I mean, mom as a queen? That’s not even a stretch but me?” Lissa returned the squeeze as the two men went inside to gather the necessary things and a sleepy little girl.

“I know how you feel, Liss… I can’t help being apprehensive, especially with my past but its not like we can turn it down, at least I don’t think we can…” The shorter woman’s head leaned on her shoulder and Charlotte leaned her cheek against her hair. They stood there like that until their husbands came out with bags and a child carrier and got everything loaded. “Now come on, we’re expected for lunch.”

A bare 30 minutes later they were unloading in the courtyard of a medium-sized castle and being fussed over by two sets of grandparents, making Charlotte wish sadly there was a third pair there to share the day. Yves was quick to spot her mood and came over to offer a loving hug and a kiss, standing there with her apart from the hubbub until the others noticed and dragged them back in with hugs and kisses of greeting and love.

“I wish they could be here too love.” Bianca murmured into her ear. “I would love to have known the people who produced such a fine woman. But they are not and they would want you to be happy, I think. I know Esperanza and I can never take the place of you mother nor Henri and Philippe your father but we will do our best to make sure you know you aren’t an orphan.”

“You are our daughter every bit as much as our own blood daughters and every bit as much as Elissa. You will never be alone as long as we are in this world!” Esperanza offered her own hugs and kisses and the four women stood there for a few moments contentedly watching their husbands fuss over the two young girls.

“Giselle came over to deal with meals for the week. Lunch should be in 30 minutes or so and then we have to meet with a few ministers and other assorted officials to go over a few things about the coronation and parade before and after so we should probably go get ourselves together. The men can take care of the girls for a little while.” Bianca led them indoors where the four separated for a few moments, meeting in a lounge just off the private dining room afterward where they awaited the summons to lunch.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

“So she says to me “You’re my queen and there’s no way I’ll have you thinking about what to serve at your own coronation! I’m taking over and that’s final!’ I tell you, she should be the queen instead of me. Talk about forceful personalities!” Bianca laughed and the other two joined in. “Anyway, I’m relieved to have one less thing to deal with. This whole thing is so insane I wouldn’t have any idea what to do half the time so knowing someone I trust is doing it is worth quite a lot and I’m glad for her help. I wonder if I can confer titles, like knighthoods or something?”

“Well as a matter of fact…” Charlotte began, only to be interrupted by the high, pure sound of a singing bowl. “you can. I think I hear the sound of lunch. Shall we?”

As they were enjoying a cold cucumber soup Bianca brought the subject up again. “Charlotte said something about me having the ability to confer knighthoods in recognition of service and other things because I was asking about a way to recognize Giselle for all she is doing for us. Could you tell us about that please dear?”

Charlotte dabbed at her lips with a napkin and explained this aspect of royal power. “According to the constitution the monarch can confer honorary titles, something like an OBE or knighthood to individuals who have done some extraordinary service for the nation or are worthy of such recognition in other ways. Just like an OBE it is not a hereditary title and it doesn’t convey any lands or economic benefits so its mainly about prestige and being able to call yourself Sir or Madame such and so.” She went back to her soup.

“Well then my first use of that power will be a knighthood for Giselle. She deserves it on several fronts!” That drew general applause from the group. “Seriously though, I’m eternally grateful for everything she is doing… and to you, my family for being here with me. I’m told many little girls dream of being queens or princesses but I never did… I wanted to be an engineer and astronaut and so many other things instead! Then I wound up becoming a model and famous… and all the while I just wanted to be tinkering and building in my workshop. Now I have this new thing on my plate and as much as I want to I can’t turn it down, can’t pass it to someone else… can’t escape it…” Bianca fell silent.

“We’ll help any way we can. I never dreamed of being a princess either but here we are and we all have to learn how to deal with it.” Charlotte paused while their bowls were taken and the next course was served. Once they were alone again she continued. “Yves and I talked about it and if you want we can stay here for a while. I’d like to have a chance to review security, bring some of my team in to help out and plug any holes we find.”

“I’d like to have you both here and you know your apartment is always ready for you. It will be nice to have my family close… and I’d be grateful for your security review Charlotte. If you find something that needs fixing you have full authority to deal with it as needed, without asking anyone. I’m sure the official security force is quite competent but where my family is concerned that isn’t even close to good enough.”

The family enjoyed the rest of their meal with jovial conversation and they all went back to their own apartments after. Yves found himself once again admiring the sight of his wife nursing their daughter.

“I thought you were against the very idea of monarchy and princesses? You seem to have accepted it rather quickly.”

“Oh I am… I guess you’d have to call me a reluctant princess but I don’t really have much choice in the matter, now do I?” She paused to break the suction with a finger and transfer her daughter to the other breast. “Besides… there’s something odd about the whole line of succession being disqualified… I can’t imagine what that would take. Whatever the reason I don’t think they will all take it lying down and I want to make sure it doesn’t hurt any of us. I have some investigation to do and I’m going to get the girls and some of the team over here as soon as possible.”

“You really think there might be some danger? Should I get some of my old team on it too?” Yves suddenly realized he was almost growling at the thought of someone trying to harm his family.

“Maybe, love. We’ll see what we can dig up first, then we’ll know what we might need. Right now there’s just no information to base any kind of action on and its possible we may need them right where they are.”

They lapsed into a comfortable silence until nursing was finished, then she passed their daughter over to Yves with a towel so he could burp her and then change her. As soon as they were settled she kissed him and went off to begin her contacts.

up
55 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

“We’ll help any way we can...

Andrea Lena's picture

“We’ll help any way we can. I never dreamed of being a princess either but here we are and we all have to learn how to deal with it.” More than merely practical, bu an approachr that seeks for better than just an accepatable outcome! Good show!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena