The Teacher: An Illustrated Story - 1

Printer-friendly version
The Teacher
An Illustrated story by:
Raine Monday

busdriver_001.png

Hey there!

My name is Allan Rogers and I teach at Sunnydale Community College. I am an easygoing teacher, my students generally like me and I’ve always wanted to be a teacher. My dad was a teacher, my mom was a teacher, my older sister and brother…we’re a family of teachers. It’s a decent job and while the hours are long at least the pay is lousy to make up for it. I sometimes wish I could do something else, but then I see the look on my students smiling faces each day and I’m happy I’m doing what I should be.


busdriver_006.png

07/29

Today starts a new school year so I’m eager to get to class and get things set-up. I like the time before classes start so I can get things prepared and have my lesson plans figured out. Lack of planning causes lots of stress in my life and for my kids so I make sure I have every day well prepared in advance of class. I like to bring in new and creative tools and those always take time to test and develop, so this time is crucial for me to get things together.


Allan3

07/29

It’s been a few days now since school started and I’m enjoying my new class. I teach Evolutionary Medicine, which is basically the ongoing evolution of human physiology and metabolism through time. It’s a growing academic subject area taking an evolutionary approach to understand disease as a consequence of anatomical and physiological ‘trade offs’ that develop to facilitate survival and reproduction. It’s fundamental that we understand this field since physiology is crucial to human health and disease.

Sounds complicated doesn’t it? I love diving into research and data of a new field. I stay up late at night searching all the hidden corners of the internet for more info and new and unique perspectives. I research a lot of things from politics to the mating habits of seaturtles. If I’m not teaching, I’m probably holed up somewhere researching and writing up my research into my online science blog for other scientists to find.


busdriver_012.png

10/14

In my spare time I like to help out with physical education. While I’ve never been a ‘big guy’ by any stretch of the imagination, I can throw a football and I’ve been helping the Sunnydale Lions with their offensive line. I find it fascinating how human anatomy has evolved to the point young people can play this sport in a more intense fashion than ever. Muscles are always getting stronger, bones are growing denser, and overall the human body can take a great deal more punishment than it originally was designed for.

The Lions aren’t the greatest team in the world, but it’s not about winning or losing, it’s about stats, passing yards, rushing yards, completions, touchdowns and the likes. You can be on a team that doesn’t do well, but if your stats show different, there’s a chance you could still play big league ball if you get your numbers right. I love helping players understand stats and use them to their advantage.

One thing that bothers me is half-time. I’ve never understood the need for cheerleaders or pom-pom girls. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love a well-toned female form, but when there’s more important things happening, why waste time?


Hey Everyone!

I recently started working on graphic novels, so I thought I'd post my first little experiment into it, here. This is more of an illustrated story but if you'd like to visit my Amazon page, I have posted my first full length graphic novel. You can find it here:
Amazon US
Amazon UK
Amazon CA
Amazon AU

It has 73 pages and over 400 illustrations. It's not perfect, but we all start somewhere.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this little fun illustrated story I put together! Chapter two coming tomorrow and Allan starts his journey to the feminine side!

Cheers!

Raine Monday

up
92 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos