Joining a club? Chapter 2 (Revised)

Printer-friendly version

Please note there is another revision to the first chapter posted, not much changed except correcting the wandering tense. I did make a few significant changes to this one, though

And so, I soon find myself sitting in the grass near the hopscotch grid with the girls at West Elementary School in Mountain Home, Idaho. I am still in a daze from all of this, but at least there is strength in numbers, Numbskull Ned and his gang of knock-kneed nogoodniks are not about to cause me trouble with so many witnesses. All I have to worry about now is Tiffany and her prison princesses, it has been my painful discovery that her words hurt far worse than Ned’s noogies. I must admit, my mouth does get me in trouble, but all I can say is they started it first, so nyah, nyah, nyah!

“Why hopscotch?” I ask.

“It is the only place that the bullies won’t want to take away from us. Besides, it is Molly’s favorite,” says Gwen. Gwen is from Taiwan, a little overweight, and has very wealthy parents. She never has an attitude about it, though, in fact there are a couple of kids that she spends her money on to buy them lunch each day.

After a bit, when I had finished my turn at hopscotch, Deanna asks me, “Jackson, why did Tiffany say you were now a member of our club? Has she just found someone new to torment, or?????” as she lets the sentence hang.

Before I could crawl away, Molly, who was the red-head that was behind me at that table earlier, grabs my ankles and says, “Not so fast mister! I think that question is worth an elucidation, it is a very pertinent question.” I end up pulling her several feet since she is very slender, with beautiful emerald green eyes. Molly is one of the class brains, and last year’s winner of the State Spelling Bee. She’s also one of the nicest people in our grade, although I’ve never really had the chance to get to know her well. Gwen and Stephanie I have rarely talked to and I really don’t know much about them. Hanging out with the girls in 6th grade is a sure-fire way to tempt the plug-uglies, but by this time, what else can they do to me? I’ll be glad to get to know Deanna’s friends.

“Well, I have PE last period, and last Friday we were playing tag and my shirt got pulled nearly off of me. Needle-nose Ned came over and started to tease me…” and I start to cry.

It’s a strange experience to all of a sudden be surrounded in a group hug by a bunch of girls, let me tell you! I tried to pretend it bothered me, but that lasted all of two seconds.

Once I’ve pulled myself together I explain, “Since I’ve started to gain weight, I’ve started to develop a bit of a flabby chest and…” I sniffle and continue, “Ned said I had tits!!! I guess it took until today for that to get around the school and for Terrible Tiffany to find out.” I can’t help it, I swear, those names just come out of nowhere! When I saw Ned shove Deanna once, I tried to get in the way, and called him Nowhere Man Ned. He’s had it out for me ever since.

“Dea-” I cut myself off and start over, “Deanna, I’m sorry I haven’t been spending much time with you here…”

“Don’t you dare! I’m not about to let you apologize for that, we get plenty of time together out of school. None of this is your fault!” she interrupts. “Now say it with me – ‘None of this is my fault’ - come on now.”

“None of this is my fault,” I repeat along with her. “But…”

“Nope! Not going there Jackie! Whoops, sorry about that!”

“Watch it Deanna, I know a name you don’t want me to use!”

“What, Dean? They already know you call me that, in fact my nickname in our club is ‘The Dean’,” she replies. “Molly is the secretary, Heather is the treasurer…”

“You can have that job now Jackie, I’m not as good at math as you are,” interrupts Heather, a bit too loudly.

“Then you are now vice-president Heather, we have been needing someone to be that officially. The school wasn’t happy we didn’t have one. And Heather, careful with the name!” I think she would have had more to say, but the bell rang for the end of lunch. My next class is English, and the only club member that will be there with me is Molly.

As I start to head to class, I am ambushed with another group hug – I think I could get to like this, maybe. “IBTC, together, we are stronger than bullies!” they all chant before heading off to go to classes.

“By the way, most of the school personnel only know our club by the initials, and if anyone ever asks what they stand for, tell them it means ‘Intermediate Budokon Training Club’, oh, and by the way, we are meeting tonight with my dad for instructions.” says Stephanie as she skips away. “And you are required to be there!”

“Molly? What’s Budokon?” I ask as we head to English.

“Budokon is a martial arts form that combines Yoga with combat techniques from multiple styles including Japanese Karate-Do, Korean Taekwondo and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. It focuses more on defensive postures than offensive. We started taking it from her dad after Tiffany started bothering us. Stephanie is already a Purple belt, all the rest of us are white belts, although Deanna is testing for Red next week.” Both Deanna and Stephanie are very athletic.

“Molly, I’m more confused now, but let’s drop it for now, my brain feels like it is a County Fair funnel cake. Just one question, why does Stephanie’s Dad teach that?”

“He is an Air Force Special Warfare, Para-rescue member and he has been training in martial arts since he was three. He started Steph on it when she was 7,” she says as we arrive to class.

After English was Math with Deanna and Gwen, which I always enjoy, in spite of Ned’s Problematic Presence. I’m not going to bore you with my academic day, I’m sure just about everyone reading this went to 6th grade. PE… Well….

Coach Murowski catches me at the door, “Jackson Phillips Brown, come with me!”


To be continued

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you,

I'm glad you like it.

Sneaky Muse

Teek's picture

Those sneaky Muse's putting in surprise elements just as we plan on stopping something. My muse drives me nuts when she does that. :)

Your story has some good potential. Chapters 1 & 2 combined give enough of a foundation of character development and possible story directions to keep the readers wanting more. Thanks

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Cute!

erin's picture

Welcome to the club, Holly. LOL.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

You know,

that's kind of how this story came to be.

Liking this so far

Very short and sweet, wonder how the budokin will work out.

Cute Ninja Nerds!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

I like it! Nice job, Holly.

Emma

Joining.

I'll be interested to see where this story goes. Not being familiar with American grades, classes and ages, it's difficult to track so soon. A few age indicators would help the story cross the culture gap across the pond.
Keep up the good work though.
Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Grades in the US start with

Brooke Erickson's picture

Grades in the US start with 1st grade. You have to be 6 before a certain date to enter first grade. Some places it's before school starts, other places, it might be as late as October.

So 6th grade would be 12-13 year-olds

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Adding it Up...

If the math comes out to grade = age minus five -- as shown -- sixth grade would be ages 11 and 12. But for various reasons -- for one, parents got increasingly concerned about their kids being the youngest, smallest and least socially capable in their grades, and preferred to delay their entry -- the ages have crept up since the 1950s and 60s, and now most first graders are seven and sixth graders are 12.. (Or so I'm told.)

High schools are grades 9 to 12, aka freshman, sophomore, junior and senior years. (Some high schools, though fewer than in the past, start with grade 10.) The "junior high schools" of my day were grades 7 to 9, or 7 and 8; the "middle schools" that succeeded them are usually grades 5 to 8 or 6 to 8. Elementary schools run from kindergarten (the year before first grade) up to there. Some schools, especially private or parochial schools, go all the way from K (or even "pre-K") to 8.

Eric

I think I'm a bit older than Eric,

in my day, middle school wasn't a thing, it was 1-6 in elementary, 7-9 in junior high school and10 to 12 in high school.

Good point,

I will work on that.