The Male Girlfriend

Printer-friendly version

At a relatively nice restaurant off campus, Kathy Peale was trying to explain her proposal to me, a virtual stranger, and I was having trouble grasping it.

“See, what I really want is a girlfriend who’s a boy,” she said. She was sitting across the booth from me.

“Um, what? I don’t understand. Why?”

“I’m not exactly sure. I’m attracted to the way girls look, and, well, some of how they act, but I’m not a lesbian. Also, I’ve gone out with guys before and they just don’t do it for me. I like to be the one in charge, so I’m thinking of a blend of sorts.”

All right. Kind of odd. But everyone is entitled to their odd notions.

“So what you’re looking for is like a…boy lesbian?”

She considered that. “Yeah, that actually puts it pretty nicely.”

“Ooooo kay, but… why choose me? You don’t even know me.”

“Are you kidding? You’re small and cute, and you’d make a perfect girl.”

Both those things I was unfortunately aware of, since people were always harping on them. But I didn’t feel girly in any way. I kept waiting and waiting to bulk up and grow tall, but it didn’t seem to be happening, even at eighteen, and I was beginning to wonder if it ever would. But the question right now was, did I want to be this gorgeous girl’s… girlfriend? What would that even mean?

“This is all kind of a shock. I mean… do you actually like boys?”

“They’re okay, as long as they don’t act like macho asses, but I just prefer girls for looks. And girls are graceful, not lumbering. The ideal boy, at least for me, would be a girl.”

Probably a small comment about how graceful Fred Astaire was, at this point, wouldn’t be welcome.

“That’s kind of confusing. And how do I fit in? What’s so special about me? I’m not sure I want to be a girl.”

“Courtney, I’m sure you don’t realize this, but you’re already pretty girly. You even have a unisex name bordering on the feminine, and I’ve seen you getting grief about all of that from obnoxious guys here at the college. I’ve been observing you and I think you’d make a fabulous girl. And remember: you wouldn’t be a girl, more of a boy who just looks and acts like a girl.”

My mind was so boggled I didn’t see how I could un-boggle it. Kathy Peale was, in my opinion, one of the hottest girls at the whole college, and I had never even thought about approaching her. She was five or six inches taller than I, and certainly looked stronger. She had beautiful, wavy auburn hair and sparkling green eyes. We weren’t in the same social class at all, and no actual scholastic classes. But she had actually come up and talked to me! In one of the college libraries she had come over to my table and asked me out to this dinner seemingly out of the blue, and I was too shocked to say no, or to think there might be a hidden agenda. “I have a proposal to make to you,” is what she said. That was pretty intriguing.

But as intriguing as this all was I wished I could run the two scenarios through a sci-fi computer simulation: what would happen if I gave in to her; and then one about what the consequences might be if I turned her down. She was known for getting her way, (although I understood people usually seemed happy to oblige her) so if I said no, would she act like the proverbial ‘woman scorned’ ?

So here we were this evening at this restaurant. She was watching me mull this over. I couldn’t tell if she was impatient or not.

“Kathy,” I said, very earnestly, “you’re one of the most popular and beautiful girls in the entire school, and even talking with you is beyond anything I had ever imagined, but… you don’t even know me! We might be totally incompatible.”

“Thank you Courtney, but actually, I know more about you than you might think. I’ve done my research, talked to some girls in your classes about you, and I think you’d be perfect.”

That was very flattering, not to mention a little creepy, and I blushed. I had hardly talked to any of the girls in my classes, so what could they know about me?

“You even blush very prettily,” she said, smiling.

“Um, Kathy—crazy thought here—what if we, like, just tried to get to know each other before rushing into anything involving gender?” I asked, not really realizing that the question meant I was not totally opposed to her nutty idea. Actually, nothing I had said indicated I was dead set against it. I just wondered if we could even have a “normal” kind of boy-girl relationship.

“That sounds reasonable, but before we even start, I’d like to get you all dressed up to see how right I am about you. Of course if I decide you don’t cut it, then the rest of the deal is off the table.”

That should have made the whole thing very simple for me. It was sure very business-like, almost brutal. And after all, I didn’t actually know her, didn’t have any time invested in her. All the same, to come so close to a friendship with a beautiful and popular girl was a heady experience for someone like me, and having her just cut it off would probably hurt. Well, it would probably hurt even if there was some other reason.

“Okay, I guess that makes sense, but I’m going to want to know a lot more about what you expect to happen in this ideal relationship of yours.”

She grinned at me, a bit lasciviously, I thought.

“Oh, I do have plans for you, my little pretty!”

Was it hot in here? It seemed hot…

-o0o-

A few days later she drove me to her off-campus apartment right from school. It was a good-sized, nice-looking place, and indicated there was money in her family.

“Is this all yours, Kathy?”

“Yeah, my parents didn’t want me to have to put up with a roommate.”

Hmm. That seemed like a red flag. How would she “put up” with me?

We went right into her bedroom and she got out a measuring tape.

“You wouldn’t mind taking off your shirt and pants, would you? So I could get a really accurate measurement?” She didn’t exactly bat her eyelashes at me when she asked that, but somehow I still felt as if she had.

“Ummm, well. If you really think it’s necessary.”

“Oh, I do!” she smiled.

Reluctantly I shucked them and stood there self-consciously as she smilingly took in my hairlessness, as well as my magnificent underdeveloped-ness. She was kind enough not to say anything about either.

She went to work with the tape measure, wrapping it around me here and there, writing down numbers, and measuring in places I wouldn’t have dreamed were necessary. There was a lot of gratuitous touching, in my opinion. I liked it, although this whole thing still seemed like an idea from the Bizarro World.

“Okay, you can put your clothes back on—if you want.”

I looked up at her to see if she was joking, but she seemed like she wouldn’t mind at all if I stood there more than half naked. I quickly redressed.

“Thanks, Courtney,” she said as I tucked in my shirt. “I’ll be getting some things for you to try on for our little experiment. But there is one little thing I’d like to try before we go any further.”

“What’s that?”

She leaned down and kissed me. I mean really kissed me. My legs almost buckled, especially when her tongue entered the act. She sensed that and wrapped her arms around me, continuing the kiss until I felt I had just about reached my happiness quotient. Then she released me and took a step back to look at me. I had a wide, silly grin pasted over my face, and could hardly think straight. Kathy wasn’t built like a weight-lifter or anything, but somehow, standing right next to her like that I felt…well, delicate might be the word.

“Yes, I think this could work out very well!” she declared.

I wanted to say something, but I still couldn’t put a sentence together. My first kiss, and it was from the hottest and one of the most popular girls at college! And it was a doozy as far as I was concerned. It was all I could think of.

She put her arm around me and walked me back to the door, saying, “I think you are exactly the kind of girl I’m looking for.”

Somewhere in my brain a message was flashing, “Warning, warning. Did you even understand what she just said?” But I was having trouble paying attention to anything other than the feeling of Kathy’s arm around me. She seemed to get that I was in a daze, and very docile.

Outside she walked me to the passenger door of her car and made sure I was in, closed the door and came around to the other side.

“Where do you live, Courtney?”

In a fog I gave her my parents’ address and she drove us there. Our house was about a mile from the college.

“We’ll do our experiment on Friday night, if you’re free,” she said.

“What? Oh, Friday? Sure, I never have anything going on on Friday evening,” I said.

“Well, I’m really looking forward to it, cutie,” she smiled, leaned over and gave me a peck on the lips.

In a dream I grabbed my school bag and got out of the car, then watched her drive away. What had just happened? Did I agree to something?

-o0o-

My parents were surprised to learn I had a date. They’d heard of Kathy’s parents and knew they were a lot more well-off than we were. I’m sure they were puzzled about how we had connected. (Well, so was I!) And on Friday when Kathy came to pick me up, she came inside and I introduced her. Naturally she made a very good impression on them. She had on a nice blouse and skirt, and looked terrific, as always. I had the impression that at least my dad was wondering how I rated a girl that beautiful. My mom, well, I couldn’t tell what she was thinking.

When we left the house Kathy took my hand, and I felt an excitement just from our skin contact. In the car she put a hand possessively on my thigh. I didn’t know quite how to feel, but above all I felt happy to be with her. I was not thinking of what we were about to do at all.

At her place she once again took my hand and led me in.

In her room there were a number of garments laid out on the bed. Oh. Yeah.

“Here,” she said, handing me a pair of panties. “You can go change in that bathroom. And try and see if you can kind of flatten out your ‘equipment.’”

I felt pretty self-conscious coming out of the bathroom in nothing but panties and a t-shirt, not to mention my flat front, but she got right to work, putting a bra on me, with some kind of pads in it, panty hose and a dress which was shorter than I would have liked – a little bit lower than mid-thigh. She had a very cute look of concentration as she worked. Zipping the dress up she took a look at me and smiled.

“Looking good so far, Courtney!”

Then she spent some time making up my face and doing things to my longish brown hair. I have very light-colored eyebrows so I was happy she didn’t come at me with tweezers. I didn’t really approve of those teeny tiny lines of eyebrow some girls left themselves.

When she was done she looked me over.

“A masterpiece, if I do say so myself. You look just as fabulous as I had imagined.”

After helping me into some delicate-looking one-inch loafers, she directed me to the mirror and my jaw dropped. I’d be interested in that girl… if she wasn’t me, that is. Probably I wouldn’t have had the courage to approach her. Kathy’s having told me I was small and cute suddenly came back to my mind. It was almost scary how good I looked.

Kathy was watching my reactions, my astonishment was plain to see.

“Well? What do you think?”

“I’m…I’m just amazed you could make me look like this.”

She smiled. “It wasn’t really very hard. Let’s try that kiss again, Courtney.”

No problem there! So we did. It brought out the same, happy feelings in me as the first time, but further than that it made me want to…submit to her. I draped my arms around her neck and enthusiastically returned the kiss. When we were done, I put my head down on her shoulder and held on. She kept one arm around me and petted my hair with her other hand. I wasn’t exactly sure what was happening to me, why I felt this submissive.

“Preview of coming attractions, cutie,” she said. “Now, why don’t we get to know each other, as you suggested?”

-o0o-

She led me into her kitchen and we each got something to drink. Then into the living room, where she sat down next to me and put her arm around me. She really seemed as if she liked being next to me, and I wondered how much was The Plan, and how much was her actually liking who I was.

Looking at her, I asked, “Kathy, can you tell me how you think this would work? Am I supposed to have an alter-ego for when we’re not at school?”

“That’s certainly one possibility.”

“What’s another?”

“Well, you might decide you’d like to just present as a girl.”

My eyes widened at that. “I have to say that’s not something I ever considered happening,” I said.

“You probably also never considered me coming into your life either, did you?”

“Um, no, never.”

“When I go after something, Courtney, I usually get it. From talking to your classmates I found out you were a nice guy, and a gentleman. Dressed up you look just as perfect to me as I had imagined. So that leaves behavior. I’ll have to teach you about how to act like a girl for when we go out, but right now I’m so excited that you turned out so well, and that we already know our kissing is compatible.”

I couldn’t disagree with that part. But…wait, going out, did she say?

“You…want me to go outside like this? What if someone recognizes me?”

“Of course I want to go out with you! We’re not just going to stay cooped up in my apartment. And if someone recognizes you, you could say, for instance, that you’re trans, or that you’re a cross-dresser.”

This was flabbergasting. “Kathy, a person wouldn’t just come out and volunteer that to everyone! Maybe there’s a way to make me look different enough so no one would know me?”

“There are some things we could do, although I do like this look you have right now. The female Courtney.”

“Oh, and I’d have to have a different name.” I can’t believe I’m even considering this. Why am I considering this? Oh. Yeah. Because the most beautiful girl around has taken an interest in me.

-o0o-

We spent some time there talking about our lives, likes, dislikes. We had differences of opinion here and there, but basically seemed to agree on a large number of topics. I found myself unconsciously snuggling up to her. In no time two hours had passed. I needed to get home soon, but I had a couple more things to say.

“Kathy, if you know anything about me, you probably know I’m not much of an extrovert, and I don’t have many friends. You, on the other hand, are one of the most popular people I can think of. So far I’m really enjoying your company, but I don’t want to cramp your style.”

“That’s sweet, Courtney. Yes, I did know that about you, but I may be outgoing enough for both of us. You can be, like, my arm candy,” she teased, then added, “This relationship is probably going to be good for both of us.”

She moved my head towards her and we had another amazing kissing session. Did I really need to get home? Why did I still live with my parents??

Another half hour slid by.

“I should really get home,” I mumbled into Kathy’s neck.

“That’s too bad. Want to introduce your parents to the new Courtney?”

Oh! I’d already forgotten what I was wearing.

“Um, I think it might be too big a shock for them without some kind of preparation.”

We got up and undid all her fine work on me, and I was back in my own clothes, feeling a bit more fortified against life. She drove us back and at my driveway I said to her, “I still really don’t understand how this is going to work, Kathy.”

“Well, don’t worry about it. I bet we figure it out as we go along.”

We kissed again, and I was very sorry to leave her, but I got out and waved to her as she drove away. ‘A male girlfriend,’ I said to myself. ‘What have I gotten myself into?’

-o0o-

The weeks that followed were full of intensive instruction at her place, when we weren’t in school. How to move, how to use my hands in conversation, how to use my voice differently, how to apply makeup and do different hair styles, how to walk in heels. I’m sure there are lots of women who know how to be women, but I’m equally sure that not all of them are able to explain how to do it so well. Kathy was really good at it, and, of course, was really enjoying herself, working on her ‘project.”

She bought me a lot of clothes and my own makeup kit. She made her spare bedroom into my changing room.

One day while we were working on this I brought up the subject of names.

“Kathy, do you know yet what you’re going to call me?”

“I have it narrowed down to Chloé and Christina. I wanted to at least keep the hard ‘c’ from Courtney, because I like that name.”

“Huh. Well, they both seem fine to me.”

She tried each of them out for a couple days and decided on Christina, and then called me by that name whenever I was dressed up.

-o0o-

As this time was passing we got more familiar with each other, and I found myself really enjoying her company. Yeah, she came from money, but she seemed like a genuinely nice person. In spite of my earlier misgivings we did seem to be quite compatible and I really looked forward to seeing her.

I had the idea for us to stay away from each other when I was in boy mode, so we didn’t really speak at school. Besides, I didn’t need the extra grief I was likely to get from some of the jocks if they saw the two of us together. Conventional wisdom said that if a jock sees a little, girly guy (yes, I admit it now) like me with a hot woman like Kathy, for some reason they get really annoyed. Yes, things were better than they had been in high school, but there were still juvenile idiots attending college.

Kathy didn’t really like this plan of mine, but I was very concerned about being outed, and the less we were seen together the less chance of that there was. So she was kind enough to go along with it.

Once she got me into shape for going outside, she started taking me to restaurants, movies, events. The first few times almost made my heart stop. I really wasn’t used to being looked at like a real person, not to mention the looks I got from males. If Kathy saw one of them eying me, she’d put her arm around me possessively so they’d, in theory, know I was off limits. The way she protected me and showered affection on me was very endearing, and I was really getting to where I was considering calling what I felt Love.

-o0o-

We had to agree on some ground rules, the first of which was that I wasn’t ready to be exposed as a cross-dresser. I felt my life was already hard enough looking the way I did. But by the time Kathy had trained me and gotten me relatively comfortable being outside dressed, I think she may have forgotten about this rule of mine. We were at an opening at an art gallery one evening and ran into a friend of hers, Serena Hamilton.

“Hey Serena! Great to see you. Oh, this is my girlfriend, Christina.”

We shook each other’s hands limply and smiled at each other.

Serena said, “So, Kathy, looks like you gave up on the whole finding a boy who looks like a girl thing? Now you’re a lesbian?”

My blood started to freeze at those words.

“No, I was really successful.”

“What? You mean this little girl is a boy?”

Kathy smiled. “You’re darn tootin.”

I couldn’t believe she had exposed me like this, and after agreeing to my terms. Shows how much she considered my feelings! I icily picked her arm off my waist and without a word I left the two of them, still talking, wading into the crowd. My guess is that Kathy thought I had gone to the restroom. There was a little money in my purse—not enough for a taxi, but I could get the bus home. I just knew this was going to be a mistake! How could I have been so lulled into this strange situation?

As I sat on the bus, feeling very self-conscious all alone (this was my first experience alone and all dressed up) I was sad and humiliated. I really thought Kathy cared about my feelings. I know I cared about her. How many others had she told about her little plan?

As we got closer to my stop my thoughts suddenly turned to my parents, who still were in the dark about my double life. How would they react when I walked in wearing a nice dress and hose? I guess I was going to find out! Or would I be able to sneak past them somehow? I just couldn’t imagine what they would say.

-o0o-

Back at the gallery Kathy had indeed assumed Christina had gone to the Ladies’ Room, but after ten minutes had passed and she hadn’t returned, Kathy, uneasy, went into the restroom and was unable to find her in there. She glanced around the gallery, confused about where Christina had gone. Back with Serena she informed her she was unable to find her girlfriend.

“What? He’s just vanished?”

“Hey, don’t call her a him!” she snapped—

—and then realized she had broken the first rule they had agreed upon. She had outted her girlfriend.

“Oh my god!”

“What? What happened?” asked Serena.

“When she and I started this relationship I agreed to her terms not to out her to anyone, and I just betrayed her trust with you. I feel terrible.”

“Are you sure it’s a big deal? No one would ever know.”

“Yes, of course it’s a big deal. I betrayed her. You know, and I’m begging you not to tell anyone. I have to find her and apologize.”

As Kathy made her way out of the gallery she couldn’t help thinking that Serena did not seem very sympathetic. She knew Serena was a bit of a blabbermouth. Would she keep the secret? Well, that issue would have to wait.

Where could Christina have gone? The only place Kathy could imagine her going was to her parents’ home, but they didn’t know about Christina’s existence. She got in her car and started out for their house.

“God, I’ve put her in a tough situation. Will she be able to forgive me?” And she fretted all the way there.

-o0o-

At my bus stop I got off and started walking slowly toward my street. In the twilight the few dog walkers who were out paid no attention to me other than a polite nod. On my street my steps became even slower. I started to take deep breaths and brace myself.

I dug into my purse for the back door key. Maybe I would be able to go right to my room if I came in the back. Softly I walked to the back and let myself in. Pushing the door closed as quietly as I could, I turned around, and there was mom, standing there watching me. She gave me a very strange look, as I was trying not to have a heart attack in front of her.

“Well, Courtney, care to explain, um, young lady?”

“Uhhh. Why don’t we go sit down?” I suggested weakly, my heart racing.

We went into the living room, where my dad was watching TV. Mom took the remote from him and turned it off, startling him. He looked at her and then at me, very confused.

Before he could say anything, mom announced, “Our daughter has something to tell us,” and sat down next to him.

Guess mom was getting with the program! I gracefully swept my skirt and sat down as I had been taught, across from them. Dad really wanted to say something, but mom kept shushing him.

“Okay, so… it’s like this…” I nervously tried to begin. “Kathy approached me one day at school and told me she had a proposal for me. You probably don’t know this, but she’s one of the most popular girls there, not to mention the most beautiful.”

They nodded. I guess maybe they suspected that part.

“So she took me to dinner and told me she was looking for a boyfriend who looked like a girl, because she likes boys, but prefers the way girls look—I think that’s what she said…”

Three of their four eyebrows raised simultaneously. (My mom could do the Mr. Spock eyebrow thing.)

“So I agreed to a test, and apparently passed. Then she spent some time teaching me about being a girl and we’ve started going out together. And it was nice, and fun—well, after the first few times. But this evening we were at an art opening, and she admitted to some friend of hers that I wasn’t what I appeared to be!” I said, getting upset again.

“The very first ground rule we agreed on was that she was not to expose or out me to anyone! So I just turned around and left, and took the bus home. I am not happy with her!”

Now that the immediate pressure was off I could feel tears coming to my eyes. Mom saw my distress and came over and held me.

“So, Courtney,” said dad, clearing his throat, “is this something you’re enjoying? Or did you feel forced into it.”

Sniffling a little, I answered, “Well, I was enjoying it until this evening. Kathy can be a lot of fun, and she actually seems to like me—or, I thought she did. And no, she didn’t force me.”

“Try not to judge her too harshly until you find out the whole story. I must say, dear, you look very nice, completely natural,” said mom, kind of changing the subject. “Are you thinking of switching teams?”

“No, I hadn’t thought of that at all, really. I did notice that when we’re out I don’t get the same kind of looks as I do as myself, and that’s a relief.”

“What do you mean?”

“Condescending looks and sneers, because I’m small and, let’s face it, girly-looking. As a girl I just look natural, and being small is no big deal. The guys who sneer at me act as if I’m being small on purpose, to spite them or in order to give guys a bad name or something.”

Just then the doorbell rang. No guesses as to who it probably was.

“Do you want to face her by yourself, Courtney?”

“Ugh, I suppose I should, but thanks for offering, mom, and thanks for being accepting.”

She smiled, gave me another little hug and nodded at dad to indicate they were vacating the room. They got up and I went to the door.

Of course it was Kathy standing there, looking very unhappy. She could barely meet my eyes. I tried to maintain a stiff, detached demeanor but was finding it difficult.

“May I come in?”

I opened the door and she walked in past me. I followed and indicated a seat for her. I sat down opposite and just looked at her.

“You have every right to be angry with me; I broke the first rule. I am so sorry.”

“I did everything you wanted, Kathy. This feels like you stabbed me in the back; like you were just using me.”

“Really I wasn’t, but I sure got too cocky about my success with you.”

“Just how many of your friends did you discuss this ‘project’ with? How many are going to be looking at me like your friend Serena did?”

“Just two or three,” she mumbled.

“Kathy,” I began, “I don’t really have much of a reputation, but I’m not sure that the little I have can survive being dragged through the gutter once more people know about this. I know you said I could just announce that I’m trans or something, but, as a popular, well-liked person you likely have no idea what it’s like to be at the bottom of the heap, and how little it takes to be brought even lower than that. I really like you; you’re exciting to be with, but I don’t know if I can survive the trip.”

She looked really miserable now, as miserable as I felt.

“Why don’t you go home now?” I said gently. “I’m going to go to bed,” I said, getting up. She reluctantly got up and I showed her to the door. She turned back, as if for a kiss, but one look at my face told her that was not an option tonight.

“Good night,” I said softly.

“Good night, Courtney,” she said, and went down the stairs.

As soon as the door shut I found the tears flowing again. (When did I become a crier?) I didn’t want things to end with her, but I wasn’t sure how I could trust her now. Moving back into the living room, mom approached and held me again.

“I’m sure that was hard to do, dear, but I admire the way you handled it. I would like to talk with you more about this, but perhaps tomorrow would be better.” She looked at my face. “Do you have any makeup remover with you?”

“Oh. No, all of that stuff is at Kathy’s.”

“I have some you can use,” she said, smiling at me and patting my back. I gave her a big hug.

“Thanks, mom.”

“You’re a good son, but I’m already starting to love my daughter too,” she said.

Believe it or not that made me cry again.

-o0o-

As I lay in bed that night I went over the events of the last few hours. I’d been outed by my girlfriend and I’d kind of been forced to out myself to my parents. I have to say that last part went exceedingly well. No one threw a fit or got angry. And let’s face it – they had to know what I looked like, and what the consequences were of looks like mine.

Didn’t they?

In the morning we sat down to breakfast together. I was still feeling pretty sad, and both parents were gentle with me.

“How ya doing this morning, Court?” my dad asked.

“Oh, I’m managing,” I said. I looked at him and said, “Thanks for not freaking out on me last night, dad. I had been thinking for a few weeks on how to tell you two about this part of my life. And it wasn’t going to be like that.”

He chuckled. “There probably is no good time to say, ‘Oh, guess what? I’m masquerading as the opposite sex.’”

That got a thin smile from me, and soon he excused himself to go to work. My first class wasn’t until 11, so I was planning on moping around the house for a while.

Instead mom sat down with me and started to ask me about my alter-ego. I told her all about the prep work as I learned how to move and act like a girl, and about the lessons in makeup.

“So were you enjoying yourself as—oh, were you using a different name? Courtney works for either sex.”

“I didn’t want people to connect me to me by having the same name. So she was calling me Christina, and yes, I actually was enjoying things. I really thought her idea was bizarre, but I was so amazed by her even talking to me that it wasn’t all that hard for her to persuade me into this. What?”

Mom’s eyes had widened when I said the name. “You may not believe this, but Christina was the name we had picked out for you if you had been a girl.”

Now it was my turn with the wide eyes. “That’s really kind of freaky.”

“Courtney, I’m sorry I didn’t know people were treating you badly.”

“Short guys always seem to get, well, the short end of the stick. We’re like bully bait.”

“You never said anything,” she said, looking a bit reproachful.

I rolled my eyes. “Mom, what were you going to do? You know that reporting those kinds of people just makes them more determined. Instead of hassling you at school they just wait and attack you off school grounds. They never broke anything, like my bones; a lot of it was attitudes and unkind words, which I learned to ignore. But it’s a whole new world as Christina. People think short girls are cute, not an affront to masculinity. But last night I have to admit I was kind of nervous coming home on my own.”

“I’m not surprised. If you’re going to continue to do this you really need to learn how to defend yourself against unwanted male attention and possibly against attacks.”

“Well, I just don’t know if I will continue. I love Kathy, but she kind of betrayed me.”

“I understand, honey.”

Just then the doorbell rang. Mom went to get it and came back with a bouquet of flowers. She handed me the card with it.

Courtney, I can’t apologize enough. Please forgive me. Love, Kathy’ “it says.”

I looked at mom. “It’s really hurting just to be emotionally apart from her, mom. I know I’m no saint; I’ve certainly made mistakes, so I guess I’ll forgive her.”

“I guess that means I’ll get to see my daughter more often, eh?”

I smiled at her. “Yes, mom. I guess Christina can come home now.”

-o0o-

Well, I couldn’t meet Kathy at school, due to my own rule about keeping my secret identity, so I phoned her.

“Courtney? You got my flowers?”

“Yes Kathy. Thank you; they’re beautiful. And yes, I forgive you. As I told my mom, I’m not a saint, and I’ve made mistakes before.”

“Thank god! And thank YOU. I am so sorry for what I did, and I swear no one else will hear about you from me, unless you give me permission.”

“I appreciate that. What about Serena? Do you think she’ll tell anyone that her friend is going out with a boy who looks like a girl?”

“I did ask her to keep quiet about it, but I think I might have to have a more in-depth talk with her.”

“Good, I’m glad.”

“Hey, you must have had to come out to your parents last night. How did it go?”

“Actually it went remarkably well! No one got angry or threw a fit. My mom seems really great with it. My dad seems understanding, but I can’t tell how deep that goes.”

“I’m happy for you, Courtney. I was really worried about it the whole way over to your house… So, can I take Christina out for an apology dinner?”

“Um, I think she would really enjoy that. She told me she loves you.”

“Aww, that’s very nice to know. I love her too.”

“What about me? Do you love me too?”

“Well, you’re okay, for a guy.”

“Hey!!”

“Just kidding. Love you too! I’ll see you at the school!”

-o0o-

I went back into the kitchen with a big smile on my face.

“I take it that that went well,” said mom.

“We’re good, and she’s going to take me out for an ‘apology dinner,’ she said.”

“Well, well. That sounds expensive!”

“I don’t care where it is, I just want to see her again.”

“Sounds like my little girl is in love.”

I blushed. “Yes, I suppose I am.”

Fin

up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sounds like my little girl is in love.

Lucy Perkins's picture

Awwww.
This is a really really lovely story.
Thanks so much for posting it.
Luc xxxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Short and sweet...

RachelMnM's picture

Nice little story and a fun read. Very well done! Thank you for sharing!

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...

Thats amore !!

SuziAuchentiber's picture

Fin?... FIN?!!! . . . but they were just getting started !!!
I guess like all good stories leaving us wanting more is a sign of success. We can all have our fantasies about what happens next - whether it works out or nor and so forth. So many stories I have loved stopped appearing before there was any form of conclusion so at least I know this one is complete ! Beautifully written and beguiling too !
Hugs&Kudos!

Suzi

Yes, Fin indeed.

And, by the way, I have no idea why Fin appeared instead of The End. You'd have to ask my fingers.

People have asked me several times to make my story longer, but I just am not very good at longer stories, and definitely not at sequels. Thank you VERY much for your nice comments.

I'm disappointed...

...that I never met a girl like that in college. Oh, wait....I'm neither little nor cute. Oh well. Thanks for a fun and VERY well written story.

Janice

Fin?

I agree with Suzi. You have the start of a great story.
You have spent so much developing the character's,
you shouldn't just bin them. they have great potential.
I love the story.

Polly J

Not binned!

But not in the queue for anything more either. At least now. If someone explains to me how to write a longer story maybe I could bring them back for an encore.

Thank you!

so much more to tell

lisa charlene's picture

it was a wonderful start would really like to see more chapter

Cute story

Good thing Courtney/Christina has understanding and supportive parents.

Love it

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

A great story and a great girlfriend to have. I'd have loved to be in a relationship like that at that age. Somehow, I think my Dad would have been OK with it. He was in later years when I turned up at his doorstep en femme. After that, I went to see him about once a month en femme and he never really acted like it was any big deal. The only comment he made was when he noticed I'd chosen to park on the street rather than in the parking lot of his apartment building. He said that I didn't have to park on the street, but that I could park in the lot. As if to say, "I don't care who knows my son the cross-dresser is visiting me. The only guest parking was over a block's walk where as on the street I was about a quarter that distance.

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

Your dad sounds like a triumph already

He didn't yell at you like some of the nasty dads we have in some BCTS stories. That right there is a wonderful thing.

Thank you, Patty. It was sort of fun to write.

A Nice Little Bit

joannebarbarella's picture

Of dominance and submission, with Christina drawing her line in the sand and Kathy metaphorically eating her words and grovelling.

I would have loved to be Courtney but I'm too tall and not pretty enough, besides being far too old!

I also think that there are lots of legs left in this story if you are inclined to continue.

Lots of legs

Thank you for the comment. As usual, I promise to think about more story, but I usually disappoint myself when I try.

Come to me Softly

BarbieLee's picture

Sometimes words aren't enough so we look for an example of what we wish to say.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIivzJ90M0s
It's even better as I have Scratch in my lap as I read this beautiful tale of shared interest and love..
Eight days earlier I opened the door at two thirty in the morning and there was this tiny little Calico kitten less than eight weeks old. Nothing but skin and bones. She's filled out beautifully.
Noname, your writing skills have become exceptional as well as your talent as a story teller. How good?
If I was still an editor, I wouldn't change a thing before sending it to print.
Hugs, Noname
Barb
We only get one try at this life. Don't plan on standing in judgement with an F on my scorecard.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

That's nice, about Scratch

He was sent to you because you need each other.
And thank you as usual for the compliment. I'm sure my glowing red cheeks are visible all the way from here in the north to Oklahoma. (where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain)
BTW, I've always liked that song in your link, but I think I might like the Roche's version better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-B70HfIUeM&pp=ygUZY29tZSBzb...
Blushingly yours,
NN1

She

BarbieLee's picture

All calico cats are females. There isn't a single male calico been born yet. A quirk of nature?
Hugs NoName
Barb
When we have it all figured out, it's too late to use the information.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl