Something to Declare 53

Printer-friendly version
 A Fiddle]

Something
to
Declare


by Cyclist

 Violin Bow]

Chapter 55

The final part of my tale.

It was a glorious summer morning in August, and I was rushing. Those of you who have regularly worn proper stockings will laugh at my discomfort, but I was determined to be as feminine under my gown as I could manage outside it. This was my thank-you to the most wonderful man I knew, and my entry to a world I had once seen only through a cracked window and from afar.

I wore the bandeau, as an old item, white satin court shoes with a modest heel as the new. My locket was around my neck, and some blue knickers mismatched the rest of my clothes for obvious reasons. A bracelet of small pearls was on my right wrist, borrowed from Naomi to complete the rhyme. Jan, Kelly and Naomi had spent all morning working on my face and hands, putting my hair up in a style similar to that I had worn at the rugby dinner, centuries ago. I had a veil pinned to the top of what seemed like an awful lot of hair, and I smiled at the memory of Kelly’s demand that I never cut it

It had turned out that Stewart, in his retirement from the Corps, ran a specialist car hire company and had managed to source an antique Rolls Royce for the day. I smiled at the memory of him returning Geoff the morning after the stag night, grey-green in the face and not appreciating my offer of a Full Welsh breakfast with bara lawr a chocos, as for some reason the thought of a plateful of seaweed and shellfish seemed to cause him distress. Poor lamb.

Mind you, my own hen night was pretty much a mystery to me the next day, until the ambush memories started kicking in. By far the worst was of a whole string of friends and colleagues, and colleague-friends, INCLUDING c-m-V, lining up to inspect the surgeon’s work n the ladies’ at Bar Two. Oh dear. And the pink furry cowboy hat and learner driver L-plates I found next to the bed, and the fact that my bra was with my knickers in my handbag.

Extreme blushing, even for me. Naomi called me to let me know the car was ready, and that my life was ending. How fortunate was I, then, to have a new one ready and waiting for me a short ride away. I had a thought about Melanie, and how she had lost everything, but I couldn’t help a smile as I realised that she would literally be at my wedding.

Sleep well, girl

Sally, Naomi and Albert rode with me, the two girls fussing over me the whole journey, and we arrived at the same gate we had carried poor Melanie through. I was helped out by my entourage, all in matching lilac gowns and looking gorgeous. Kelly was almost dancing in excitement, and before she could speak I held out a manicured, if wiry, hand to silence her.

“If you say ‘Aunty Steffy’ just once today I will find them and burn them. And don’t pout, you’ll spoil your lips”

Naomi confirmed all was ready, and Albert, in a spiffy morning suit, took my arm and dropped my veil.

Deep breaths, girl. Walk tall, walk smoothly, imagine the book on your head, and whatever you do don’t fart.

As we entered, the organist made a valiant attempt at the Widor toccata from his fifth organ symphony. Not bad; I had asked for anything other than the usual dirge about coming brides, and the Mendelssohn was a little hackneyed.

The church was packed. Geoff was at the altar with Dave, both fully and formally attired in the same style as Albert. As I passed down the aisle I saw colleagues and friends, many in the OLD uniform rather than the new rubbish, a phalanx of bootnecks, several coppers I knew from work, the Grahams with little Ashley in a really extreme party dress, Jerry and his wife, a seemingly unlimited number of Chandrasekhars around Raj, and the family.

My family. My joy and my delight, my saviours and my life and my amazing good fortune.

I looked to the other side, and there was Naomi, crying happily. Geoff turned to look at me, and that smile hit me like a warm breeze, the smile I had first seen nearly two years before. I remember what I said, about how he makes the world’s dark places illuminated with that smile.

I took my place, and Simon’s smile almost rivalled that of my beautiful man.

“Dearly beloved…..”

“Do you, Stephanie Bronwen Jones, take this man…”

“ Is there anyone here who knows of any just…”

“I now pronounce you man and wife. Kiss her, Geoff”

The organist played “Jesu, Joy” as we walked arm in arm out through double lines of uniforms to begin the round of photographs and bride kissing, and it came to the point where I had to hurl my bouquet to the ladies.

Do you know, I swear I saw Sally stick an elbow in Sue’s ribs as she took the flowers. Stewart had a very appraising look on his face as she grinned at him, and then cracked a smile.

“What the hell, neither of us is getting any younger. Shall we?”

I rather think my proposal was a touch more romantic, but from the way Sally tackled him I don’t think she cared. They were so obviously good for each other I felt painfully happy.

“Penny for them, Mrs Woodruff?”

“Just remembering trying to get out of a tent in a dress two years ago, husband of mine”

“ I would prefer to think of getting you out of that dress, wife!”

We adjourned to the church hall, where Dave made his speech as best man.

“Ladies, gentlemen, cussers, bootnecks, rozzers, trick cyclists, sky pilots and stray punters looking for the toilets. Thank you all for coming here to share with my best friend and her new husband the joy and delight of their nuptials. I find myself in an odd position here, as the stories I should be telling about the groom are actually more applicable to the bride!”

After a roar of laughter, he continued.

“Besides which, despite Steph’s earlier medical issues, I doubt my wife would be too happy to hear some of the better ones. Perhaps, when we have lubricated our tongues and minds I may be able to deliver the goods in private sessions. My fees are reasonable, but not negotiable, unless that involves a decent single malt”

More laughter.

“The journey to this wonderful day has been long and hard, especially for the happy couple themselves, but we are now here, the past is the past, and the future is unlimited. Ladies, gentleman, tools of the fascist oppressors, please raise your glasses. I give you that fabulous rhyming pair, the bride and groom, Steph and Geoff Woodruff!”

A roar went up: “Steph and Geoff!”

Albert and Big Bill said their bits, and I saw Naomi and Angela cuddling and crying again, and when the music started I got to do my “backwards in heels” thing. The various bridesmaids made bee lines to selected uniforms, jackets and ties were discarded and food was inhaled. I had come a long, long way and fully intended to keep going, and with this man beside me I could see nothing ahead that could frighten me.

I passed from partner to partner, Dave, Albert, both Johns, Stewart, even Raj and Simon, till I was back with my darling, fe fyddwn i dy garu di am byth, fy nghariad, am byth..

We left in the van, with walking gear, bikes and rock kit, and headed off for our hotel, a rather comfortable one in Llanberis. I took my wedding and engagement rings off several times, but only so as not to damage them on the long routes we did at Cyrn Las and Gogarth in gorgeous late Summer sun, the joy of balance and grace at height above watching seals followed by more Earthbound pursuits back at the hotel. We shared a hot flask in the shelter on Foel Grach, and a passing walker took our picture on the Cantilever rock on Glyder Fach.

We made memories and took photos, and we even went to a local indoor swimming complex where I got to try out the minute bikini I had sneaked along without telling Geoff, and it pleased him so much on me that he had to try it off me that evening, and it was all very, very newly-wed. Even now, as I write this, my eyes look into the distance and I smile at the memories.

And then….and then we were back at the festival, our third together, meeting up with our family. The woman who issued the wristbands recognised us, and I let her see my left hand, and she squealed. Bill laughed, and said

“We have five tickets booked. A junior for Miss K Woodruff, two adults for Mr and Mrs W Woodruff, and two adults for Mr and Mrs G Woodruff”

And we danced.

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

They say...

...that all good things must come to an end, and so is the case here.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this story, and I sincerely hope it won't be your last.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Positive Support


Bike Resources

Continuation

I have an idea in mind

Something to Declare 53

Me, I am wondering if Steph will continue her story in another book.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Seconded!

If I may I should like to second that!

A wonderful tale, and a useful reminder that people in those sorts of jobs are also human beings, have feelings, fall in love, etc etc.

Briar

Briar

Thank You

littlerocksilver's picture

... for a very enjoyable, passion filled story. The story may have ended, but we know there is a wonderful life ahead for two wonderful people and their friends.

Portia

Portia

Not a good story ...

... an excellent story and extremely well told. The slightly soppy sybaritic sequence that signifies the end of this super saga is well deserved. All that remains is a heart-felt thank you.

Robi

Sop

The whole thing is soppy! I am a sentimental old fool, as I have many times said. Allow me my small moments of girly saccharinity. Unless, of course, you mean the litlle bit of cymraeg....I shall leave its translation as an exercise for my reader.
Thank you all for your kindness.

The cymraeg is much easier to translate than to pronounce.

Thanks for the story, and now that it has run it's cycle (The pun, if there is one here, is intentional. That that one word could fit this story in so many ways is all a part of the story's grace.), all we can hope for is that the talent that told it here for us will deign tell more stories of this great family, or others in the same vein, somewhere it the future.
Bob

Bob

Pronounce

Actually,that bit is very easy for an Anglophone to pronounce. Giving it a South Walian twang is easier on tthe Sais, and it would sound something like:
Vay vuthoon ee duh gary dee am beeth, fung harry ad, am beeth

Good story?

It was bloody fabulous!

One I will always remember.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Perfect!

What a lovely story with a perfect ending!

Thank you!

Sean_face_0_0.jpg

Abby

Battery.jpg

Wonderful conclusion.

Thank you sincerely for a wonderful contribution. I'm glad and hopeful that you have intimated an idea for further contributions but I will not pressurise you into commiting to something that may yet prove too difficult.
If you do choose to write on something else, take your time, think it through and may I pray that the muse comes upon you.

Have a happy life.

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Thank you for a wonderful,

Thank you for a wonderful, amusing and heartwarming tale;

D

A Great Story!!

And so well told! I enjoyed it thoroughly and look forward to more of your work.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

I'd just like to say...

... I have spent the last two days reading all of Uniforms, followed by Something to Declare.

I love your style of writing, the things that the gentle reader isn't told make the auto biographical style so much more believable. There is also so much more in the telling than the average TS tale, the music, settings, and shared activities.

Really looking forward to the next story - please tell me there will be more?

Audrey

Appreciation

The two stories were a necessary catharsis and I am glad that they seem to have touched some people. Thank you.

Coming Late To The Party

joannebarbarella's picture

What everyone else said. A lovely story just doesn't cut it. It had its moments of nastiness and horror, bleakness and despair, struggle and hardship, and transcended by joy, true happiness and finally, exultation.

Did I say I loved it?

Joanne

Thank you

For all your comments

some story

kristina l s's picture

This little saga covers a lot of ground. I'll try and cover things as I remember them. I play guitar a bit, used to be a lot and saw Eric Bogle some years back in a little pub here in Sydney. Just him and a backup guitarist, the guy can wring it. I may not be a folkie perse but I can relate and have been to a few festivals if only as a day visitor. Have done Byron and Tamworth though, ostensibly Blues and Country respectively. Generally pretty well behaved gatherings.

Rugby? Hmm played in High School, wing or full back mostly, lean and quick, pretty used to the high bomb. Never liked running down the wing though...hated being smashed on hard dry ground. Ummm, at the time locks as you call them were second rowers, #8 was the lock and flankers were breakaways. Also the fly half was the five eight, shrug I dunno, guess it changed somewhere thereabouts. Oh I was chatting with a pommy acquaintance a few days before that World Cup final and commented that we had snipers in the lighting towers just in case Wilkinson looked like trouble...shrug, I guess they fell asleep, so it goes huh. Quit worrying about sports much after school but I do keep a vague awareness of what's going on.

There is so much in here, all that humour usually dry and sometimes self deprecating and now and then dark as. Some recurrent themes too which is fine, I trust the writing helps work through whatever demons are in play. It has helped me to do so.

There were too some classic one liners or triple liners in one case like (vague semi quote here) 'he was good to have around when I cried. Well good at other times too. Not so much after eating curry.' Says it all really the smile in the words going from warmth and love to wry teasing. I was sorry to be proved right about Melanie though and that got me crying a couple of times, damnit. Sigh. A couple of flinty eyed moments of anger there too and a gentle smile at the marines not pressing charges for assault.

Great stuff, maybe a pinch idealistic here and there, but hey why not, optimism's a good thing. Power of positive thinking or something. Light from Dark, at least we hope so. May we all be as strong as we need to be.

I'm sure I forgot things along the way that I meant to comment on, but... Thanks for this one.

Kristina

Thank you

I try hard for optimism, and I am an idealist, but recognise that this world will never be perfect. Trite but true. I suppose the idealism I really wanted to get across was in how the Woodruffs took an awful family event and turned it round. I know people just like them.
It was my first stab at an extended piece of fiction, and it shows, particularly at the start, but it has a lot of very personal stuff in, and I am quite happy with it. The one that really got to me, writing it, was Melanie's story.

That nightmare,that awful horpital, that poor, ruined old air gunner, that's all real.

funny..err

kristina l s's picture

I was talking with a friend recently, we got onto war movies as the dad was in the air force and died a few months back. Your remark about the old air gunner... I made some comment about never having seen the movie Battle of Britain. It had been on telly a few weeks earlier. I remember as a kid all the boys talking about it, excited about how a pilot got shot in the eyes. I never watched it, still haven't, probably never will.

I see the reasons sometimes, beyond politics and pettiness. Sometimes you have to stand and fight. But even so, war has to be the single most insane and disgustingly wasteful thing in the history of human beings. I guess it's like that scene on the pontoon in Catch 22. Some watch with a bloodthirsty thrill, some wince with horror and distaste. I ponder on where the majority lie at times. You might question my optimism, I know I do.

Kris

War

I tried very hard to address those issues, and the fall-out, in the parallel story.

Rugby

The first and second 5/8 is very much an Antipodean thing, never in the UK. Locks are still second-rows, and I remember 'lock' for number eight being a regional thing in the UK. Flankers were wing forwards when ah were a lad,'appen.

two?

kristina l s's picture

Base of the scrum was the half back. Between the forwards and the backs. I know it's changed, just not sure why or when. Never really thought it might be diff anywhere else. But like I say I didn't follow it much once I got 'out' in the late 80's.

Kris

Five eigtths

The pattern I remember from down under differed from the Northern hemisphere. In the North, number 9 was the scrum half. 10 was the fly half or outside half. 12 and 13 were inside and outside centres.

In Oz, 9 was the halfback, 10 and 12 the first and second 5/8.

I made it through again

It was a wonderful trip, laughing, crying and wondering all the way.

I come here and to some of your others when I can. I like stories that have things happening, draw on emotions, and are complete. It bugs me to see old stories with no conclusion. I like yours. it leaves a good feeling.

Thanks,

Much Love,

Valerie R

I don't cry at weddings

Podracer's picture

Until now (cringes a bit.) Well done.

"Reach for the sun."