Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1201.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1201
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“What’s happening now?” I asked returning from the cloakroom.

“Their camera van went up in a puff of smoke, so we don’t know what’s happening.”

“I need to get there.”

“How are you going to do that–the roads will all be blocked by traffic, police or sightseers.”

“My children are in there?”

“You think.”

“I know.”

“Why have terrorists attacked a Portsmouth bank and not the railway or the power station or even the refinery at Fawley?”

“How do I know, I only work for them not sit on the board.”

I grabbed my jacket and the key for the bike workshop. Two minutes later, I was on my mountain bike and pedalling as fast as I could towards town. Jim agreed to stay and watch the house and the others. I presumed Stella was upstairs–she rarely watched telly.

Twenty minutes later, I met the traffic jams and wound my way through it until I could see the smoke and flames ahead of me and the police cordon. “Excuse me officer, I have to get through, my children are in that building.”

“Sorry, Miss, no one’s allowed through–it’s too dangerous.”

“Oh, if you say so, could you hold my bike a second while I move my bag.” I let go the bicycle and as he grabbed it, I dodged past him ignoring his threats as I ran on towards the fire.

As I neared the centre of the action, I could see several burnt out cars and vans, including an ambulance. The helicopter was still trying to fan the flames downwards and another was trying to winch people up. It looked like a naval chopper–I suppose they only are down the road. A couple more began circling waiting for the first one to leave.

It was painfully slow and I died a hundred deaths watching the little I could see from the road. The fire service were doing a sterling job trying to contain the fire, but I needed to be up where the action was to check on my family. I slipped into an adjacent building and began the slow climb up the stairs towards the roof. It seemed to take an age, even with all the adrenalin flowing through my veins, and by the time I got to the top floor and then found the roof access, which was locked, I was exhausted and almost ready to cry.

Then a group of firemen came rushing up carrying hoses and connected them to the hydrant in this building and then opening the roof access, climbed up, trailing their hoses behind them. I sneaked through and standing well back watched them playing their hoses on the flames as they licked against the outside of the building.

There was a loud crack as several windows exploded and the fire tried to gain access through their broken panes–the firemen immediately responded and hosed down the offending area. They were working flat out, but only just managing to hold the flames which were threatening to engulf the entire lower parts of the building and presumably then on, the whole thing. Despite the heat I felt my blood run cold.

I approached the senior officer on the roof, “Where are they taking the evacuees?”

“Back the naval base, why?”

“Why couldn’t they land them here and get in ten times as many flights?”

“What if this one catches fire?”

“It won’t.”

“How d’you know?”

“I’ve watched all the Superman films.”

“Thompson, get rid of this woman, will you?”

“Look, Chief, or whoever you are, those are my children in that mess over there.”

“So what, Thompson get rid of her.”

“C’mon, Luv, let’s be ‘avin’ yer.”

“Please, Mr Thompson, let me stay.”

“C’mon now, I don’t wanna hurt you.”

“Nor I you.”

He laughed, just before I dropped him. He wasn’t hurt, just stunned.

“Get me some police up here, we’ve got a woman lunatic running riot, she just decked sixteen stone of fire fighter.”

I grabbed his radio, "Hey you, up in the choppers, bring the evacuees to this roof, I’ll take them down to the street.”

“Give me back my radio, you bitch.” He started to chase me round the roof. However, the chopper started to move to our roof, and we both ran to stand against a wall as ten people jumped out and as promised, I led them to the stairs.

Another, bigger copter was hovering just feet above the bank building and people were diving into it. Two minutes later it was hovering above us and evacuees were emerging from it; I pointed them to the stairs, where a policeman was directing them earthwards.

For the next hour, we watched as the helicopters carrying twenty or so people at a time dump them on our roof and they all managed to walk down the stairs although some looked very distraught.

Finally, a chopper disgorged my children and we hugged and wept together. “Where’s Daddy?” I asked and a tearful Trish answered me.

“He’s stayed behind to help the injured, to load them into the helicopters.”

“C’mon, we need to get you down from here.” I led them to the stairs and slowly we descended holding hands. I offered prayers for the safe delivery of the man I loved overwhelmed by his courage in holding back his own fear to help others. Safely on the street level we were led away and a paramedic checked them all and gave them some oxygen to breathe.

“Have you any helium?” asked Trish, “it makes your voice go like Minnie Mouse.” She had to make do with oxygen.

We waited, light blue blankets wrapped round us, for Simon. The hovering stopped and there was another huge bang and we had to run to avoid glass from the exploding windows. These firemen really earned their money.

A woman was dragged on a stretcher to the paramedic, who shook his head after checking her vitals. I nodded to Trish and as soon as the lady was covered up, we started to blue light her. I tried to enter into her world and see where she was, while Trish concentrated on shifting the clot which had formed in her coronary artery.

In twenty minutes we were nearly there, and just as the paramedic was about to put her in a body bag, she coughed and he paused in shock for a moment then leaped into action to attend to her.

A group of firemen came from the roof and with them the last of the evacuees. Simon wasn’t there. I ran up to them, “Where’s Simon, where’s my husband?”

“Sorry, Lady, this is all there is.”

“But it can’t be, my husband was on that roof helping the injured.”

“There’s no one left there now, please clear the area, the fire is worsening.” There was an enormous boom and the ground shook and the flames shot higher into the sky.

“Where’s my husband?” I screamed at them and they just shrugged.

“That’s her,” said a loud voice. “Arrest her, she countermanded my orders.” The fire chief pointed at me and two policemen walked towards me.

Just then a man with a white helmet walked between us, “Walker, I think we’ll forget it this once. Look, Luv, take your kids and get off home.”

“I want to know where my husband is, he was with the children until they got in the helicopter.”

“What’s his name?”

“Simon Cameron.”

He picked up his radio, “Any news on a Simon Cameron, was on the roof of the bank?”

“Not yet, okay, thanks.” He looked at me, “Sorry, luv, I don’t know where he is.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
264 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh Lumme!

Poor Simon. I (we) hope he will be okay. And where is Henry? All these suspenders every night are stretching it a bit, aren't they, Ang?

What a narrow minded little fire officer wanting Cathy arrested because she had a better idea than he did. MEN!!! Honestly what a w*nk*r.

Love,

Hilary (and the fruit of her womb).

Where're the Camerons?

Henry went to pick up the children.

Presumably he took them to the bank.

So, where's Henry? And, where's Simon? [Just as well you don't have a 'Wally' in this series, and I'm not disparaging Simon, either.]

Thanks A+B: this series continues to go from strength to strength. Why do I sense the hand of the South Bank lot in all of this?

Pyrogenic Secrets


Bike Resources

What a Cliffhanger !

I hope we don't have to wait too long to hear and that it comes out well.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

First of all

Angharad belated congratulations on reaching 1200 episodes of Bike .... And what a journey its been, More often than not exciting , Always interesting, Sometimes educational, But always always a must read ...

Good to see the girls all safe, But what has happened to their Daddy?.... I guess we will have to wait until tomorrow for the answer to that question (hopefully!)

Kirri

Bike pt 1201

Cathy needs to take the family back to the castle once things are settled back down.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

More of a cliff hanger than most

Simon should have one or two lives left. Really can't have both Cameron men gone and Cathy running the bank. She's ruthless when protecting her family but way too nice otherwise.

Suspects

This isn't the modus operandi of the South Bank bunch - after all, they've historically targeted Julie, who's not involved in all this. However, targeting the branch of the bank where Simon works, just at the time Henry turns up as well - that's more the style of the Russians, who've kidnapped Simon and shot at Henry before in an attempt to gain control of the bank.

I'm a little puzzled as to how everyone was evacuated from the bank building though - I'm sure we were told in an earlier episode a helicopter rescue was unfeasible due to transmitters / mobile phone masts on the roof...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I'm channeling Bonzi here

"I'm a little puzzled as to how everyone was evacuated from the bank building though - I'm sure we were told in an earlier episode a helicopter rescue was unfeasible due to transmitters / mobile phone masts on the roof..."

I'm channeling Bonzi here.

A copter lowered firemen to the roof who used chop-saws to take down the towers and guy wires. The larger Royal Navy copters then were able to hover with one skid on the edge of the roof while evacuees scampered aboard.

Now I'm going to find that little squirt Izzy and play footie with him - he's the ball.

Kris

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Changes.

Just another day for our heroine.

I'm wondering where the masts and stuff went but I suppose if there are dozens or hundreds of lives at stake then the choppers will find a way. It's very dangerous putting choppers near fires because of the unpredicatble thermals and it's doubly dangerous having 2 chopperts in close proximity. Speaks volumes for the skills of the pilots.
And where is that stupid man!!!?

Still lovin' it an' this one's exciting.

Love and hugs.

Beverly

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

interesting but

then again 'copters get used for forest fires a lot and one can imagine the weird thermals they might encounter during those operations. So it IS possible to do so though it is riskier. Point is, it is a calculated risk. If the 'copters don't ferry enough people in time, they will die. Whereas if a helicopter tries to land closer, it is a calculated chance the risk is very dependent upon the skill of the pilot. I believe therefore what Cathy in this episode had done whereas the alternative is not conscionable.

I hope Simon does not get killed off though.

Kim

I just knew it

After all, 1200 had to be involved with a cliff hanger of some sort.
But try to keep them down to one or at most, two per century, okay Bonzi?

Perils of Pauline this ain't. IT'S MUCH BETTER!!!

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Where is Henry and Simon ?

Cefin warned me about your cliff hangers. This is two in a row.
Angharad, you're outdoing yourself to celebrate # 1200.

Karen