Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1383

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1383
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

At the instant that Simon told me Stella had gone into labour I wanted to rush to help her and simultaneously pretend I hadn’t heard anything, drink my wine and soak. Simon however, wasn’t going to let me adopt plan B.

“What’re you gonna do?”

Sit here and sulk? Sadly it didn’t seem to be an option. “Is there any problem anticipated?” I called back.

“I dunno do I? I leave that sort of thing to you women,” he replied in a typical male cop-out.

“I mean does she actually need me there?”

“The woman who called is her midwife, she seemed to imply that it was a good idea.”

I could just slash my wrists I suppose–one day the Cameron clan will be able to stand on their own two feet–presumably after I’m gone–but for the moment, it seems I have to mother them all.

“Okay, give me ten minutes and I’ll get out.” The last thing I needed was to drive to the clinic–or would it be the local hospital? I’m quite tired and feel more like drinking the wine and falling asleep in the bath.

I slooshed the water over my body again, wiped myself all over–especially in those nooks and crannies that we women have–and taking the shower, rinsed myself off, taking care to keep my hair dry. I pulled the plug and drew the bath towel round me. One day I’ll do what I want instead of everyone else, however, I had a vague recollection of a promise to be with her when she birthed. I hoped Gareth would be there–had she sent for him?

I dried myself, dabbed on some cream in places where my skin rubs or gets dry, shook some talc under my boobs and in the creases of my hips and groin, deodorant, some clean knickers and a bra and I emerged from the bathroom deciding what to wear for the long drive to the clinic. It had turned cooler but the clinic or hospital would be warmer–possibly too warm. I pulled on a skirt and top with some casual shoes which I could wear all night if I had to. I pushed my arms into the short sleeves of the thin cardigan and after looking at the ridiculous length of the hair pieces–called Julie to come and detach them. She did so very reluctantly.

Of course the red hair made me look different, and I used some reddish lipstick–I looked even more different–slightly more sophisticated? I wasn’t sure, maybe it was just older. Great–just what I needed.

“D’you want me to come as well?” asked virtually everyone from Simon down. Trish asked so did Julie and even Meems.

However, I decided to go on my own, I’d fill up the tank of my juggernaut and get off as fast as I could. I told Simon to look after the kids, I told the kids to look after Simon. I told Julie to help Jenny with the little ones, and asked Tom to keep an eye on all of them. Danny, I asked to cope with all the muddle, he winked at me and smiled.

I took a bag with me just in case I needed to stay somewhere overnight, a book to read–grabbed my phone, car keys and the sandwich I’d just made–then Danny carried my bag to the car for me.

“You don’t ’arf look different with red hair,” he observed placing the bag in the boot of the car.

“Is that better or worse?” I asked.

“Dunno–different–not like my mother. Yeah, quite fanciable, I s’pose.” I don’t know which of us blushed the deeper. Oh well, debating the pros and cons of my son’s Oedipus complex with myself should help the journey.

At least it was still light and I got onto the motorway and chugged towards the clinic. Because they do all sorts of treatment there, it isn’t just for wealthy depressives, the baby would be born there–unless there was need for ICU, in which case it’s an ambulance job to the nearest NHS hospital with a spare bed.

I listened to the radio in the car although much of it was autopilot as I mused about being fanciable to my son. It was a nice feeling but also disturbing because it reminded me that he was fast arriving at the age when he’d be out chasing girls and trying to get past first base. I could understand how his hormones could drive him but at the same time hoped he’d exercise restraint–there are enough gymslip mums and schoolboy dads about now without him adding to the statistics.

I also wondered about how soon we’d need to discuss sending Julie for assessment for surgery; then here was Livvie–she would soon be starting her monthly–which would require some help–from me, a woman who’s never had one–oh well, something new to try.

I wondered about Billie–how she was coping with her transition–it seems quite well, at least I don’t hear any negatives and I’m sure something would feed back to me via Trish, Livvie or Meems. Meems seems to be doing okay at school–she’s quite bright, too–or is it that I’m a bit dim and they all seem bright to me, except poor Billie–if she stays with the role, one can only hope she finds someone who can encourage her to use her mind a bit more–I seem to have failed and I’m paying a fortune to a school who aren’t exactly achieving miracles either–I might have to turn the pressure up–I do them favours–how about some reciprocation?

Crikey, I was at the clinic already–I was fortunate that nothing had happened which required me to actually think about what I was doing rather than think about my family. I parked and went to reception.

I had to wait for several minutes for someone to answer the bell. It was now dark and a heavy drizzle was falling, the sort that sticks to your hair and clothes. Finally, some woman arrived and I had to explain who I was and why I was there. I’d speak to the manager later–sometimes having a title does help.

“We’re a bit short staffed this week,” she said, but all I was thinking was that it’s a failure of management to provide sufficient cover, especially for the rates Henry was paying. She led me to their maternity clinic and I waited while she went to find someone in charge.

“You must be Cathy?” asked a well built thirty something woman in a white tunic with coloured braid–light blue–around the cuffs and pockets.

“Yes.”

“Glad you could come, Stella’s through here.”

I followed my nameless guide into a private room where Stella was with another midwife who was urging her to take deep breaths and push. Stella looked totally fed up and quite tired.

“Hiya,” I said trying to sound bright and breezy even though I felt knackered myself.

“Not another frigging midwife,” I heard her mutter to herself.

“No, I’m your cheer squad.”

She looked over to me and squealed, “Cathy.”

“Crikey, you sound like Heathcliff on a bad day.” I walked over to her and we hugged as best we could.

I sat down and we held hands. “Everyone sends their love, especially Puddin’.” She squeezed my hand. “Where’s Gareth?”

“He’s had to go to a meeting, he’s hoping to get back as soon as he can. It’s good to see you–make it come, will you?”

“Make what come?” I acted stupid.

“The baby–I know it’s another girl–but make her come–please.”

“These things can’t be rushed you know–besides you have two midwives who know far more about delivering babies than I do.”

The two midwives consulted in the corner of the room where neither of us could hear what they said–it alarmed both of us specially when the one seemed to go off in haste.

“Do we have a problem?” I asked the remaining one.

“I think the baby’s turned.”

“Isn’t it supposed to do that?”

“Um–turned the wrong way.”

“You mean breech?”

“Um–could be.” She blushed–I thought they were supposed to check that before the labour started, when it becomes obvious that the baby is getting ready to come and the head engages.

“Does that mean a Caesar?” I asked Stella seemed to have taken a snooze.

“Could be.”

“Can’t you turn her round.”

“Not at this stage.”

“I thought it was usually boys who were breech?”

“It is.”

I laid my hand on Stella’s bloated belly and immediately I aware that the baby was in trouble–and I said so.

She got the foetal heart monitor and it became obvious to her that I was right. She looked very embarrassed and concerned. “The doctor’s on his way.”

“It’s going to be too late–can’t you do the delivery.”

“I can’t do a caesarean section–no–I’m a midwife not an obstetrician.”

“Okay, I’ll try and keep the baby alive, you get a theatre organised.” I focused the light onto Stella’s tummy and to the neo-nate inside it. “C’mon, little girl, hang on in there–the doctor’s on his way.”

“What’s that blue light?”

“Are you still here?–piss off and organise things–now.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
223 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lady Cameron

ALISON

'has taken charge.Things will happen now.

ALISON

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1383

NEVER a dull moment for Cathy at hospitals, is there?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

C-Sections

littlerocksilver's picture

Our good friend is a midwife, and I frequently consult with her about things for my stories. She was a delivery room RN before she decided to become a midwife about 20 years ago. Although she could not do one (C-section) in the hospitals where she works, she says she feels very confident about doing one if she had to. There have been problems with a midwife in her area who was reluctant to get a doctor involved in a difficult home birth. If she'd had the right tools (scull/cranial forceps) or had taken the woman to a doctor when she should have, the baby would not have died with its head caught in the mother's uterus. So sad.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

Timing is everything...

Andrea Lena's picture

...my son was breech and at his due date, but no labor or dilation, so they did an external version, manipulating him to the right position by gently nudging him around in the womb from the outside. And they would have done a c-section if there was any fetal distress. He delivered the following Saturday with no complications. He's twenty-two and about a month away from his radiography degree.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

At seven months...

At seven months, our older kid was breech... Two months of brackston hicks contractions later and the kid was head first and came out "just fine" (though, they had to wake up the obstitrition... He'd checked my wife, broke her water about 11pm (it was stubborn) and said he'd see us in the morning... About 12:30am they had to go wake him up. LOL)

You don't do thing half way - do you... What kind of meeting takes place at night? Must be partially "social" *sighs* Cathy's busy, but someone ought to give the "father" a call... Wonder if it'll occur to anyone back at the house... Hmmm. MAYBE. Wonder if he was actually there at all. Stella'd been trying to push him away. Perhaps she was just TELLING Cathy that so Garth wouldn't know about the birth, so wouldn't try to be there... THAT sounds in character for Stella. Might be nice for him to find out, and get there in time to be some help!

There I go, over thinking things. LOL

Thanks,
Anne

And Cathy steps up to the plate...Again!!

With power comes these odd calls at night. Cathy would not be there if she was not needed, she is very needed. So again Cathy steps up to the challenge. By the Goddess I love this woman, I wish I could meet her.

The only bad question is the one not asked.

The only bad question is the one not asked.

Somehow I think...

...Puddin' Mk. II is going to start off life with a healthy dose of BLH, just like her half sister. Unsurprisingly, the midwife forgets what she should be doing and gawps at the blue light instead.

Meanwhile, Gareth adopts the typical bloke approach - prefers to go with his original booking than race over to be with wife and daughter, probably intending to turn up after the birth rather than during.

Then en-route to hospital, I hope Cathy was getting ahead of herself when thinking about Livvie having periods - she's seven, which is a little on the early side (apparently the onset of puberty typically happens at around 9-10 years old).

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

9-10 years?

Well.. That's where things start happening - but a period that young isn't normal (from what our pediatrician had to say)... That said, there were times we wished the girls would "get on with it" and have their first... It's like the pressure builds over about two years (starting in that 9-10 age)... And, it builds until it finally "bursts" the dam and you have a period... But, ooo the tween angst while they build to that first period... *shakes head* Let's just say, it's almost like two years of PMS without the cramps.

I was thinking Livvie was a tad young, myself. But, maybe it happens to kids younger over in the UK. :-)

Anne

Onset of puberty

Annette,

I have noticed that girls start getting periods younger and younger, with successive generations, and i wonder whether you have to? Also what could be the reason for this?

My younger sister and I were 13 (in her case) and 14 (in mine) before we started. My own daughters started at 12 and at 11. My Granddaughter began whilst in her last primary school year, at age 10. "Sprouting" also came earlier at about the same times, just a wee bit sooner. It was VERY unusual in my childhood that a girl at primary school had breasts, and girls were not provided with any information about periods or facilities at school even.

Now why is this happeneing? Well, we know that our environment is polluted with chemicals from plasticizers that are used to make plastic packaging flexible and so on, and that these chemicals seep onto and into prepacked foodstuffs, and that many of them have oestrogenic properties. Also there are all manner of sprays used on crops, some of which have not been that well investigated for similar effects. And water supplies these days often come from recycled water, which has at one time received waste water, from places where ladies taking The Pill are living, and urinating, so some oestrogens get recycled along with the water. We know it can have biological effects, for example changing the sex of frogs that live in the ponds and rivers through which it passes on its way to be re-used.

Others have suggested that it may all be down to better nutrition these days than before. Well, young girls get more calories than we did, and get fatter, generally speaking, these days, so that might also be true. I think it is probably both factors, plus possibly others. Humans are also getting taller with each generation it seems, just like the Dynosauers did shortly before their extinction!

Briar

Briar

I don't think

Angharad's picture

she was contemplating any timescale on this - just the future.

Angharad

Angharad

Bloke approach

My wife went into labor with our 1st child very early in the morning and we had to take a cab to Yongsan Garrison (8th Army HQ, Seoul Korea) from Uiejongbu. I was present for that delivery. However, when our daughter was born I was stationed at Ft Riley KS. When my wife went into labor this time I was out in the field (prep for Desert Shield/Storm) and because of my idiots for Battery Commander, First Sgt and Platoon Sgt I missed the delivery. I was a section chiefand had a vehicle that could take me back to Garrison. But no, my superiors told me I would wait for the Mess Truck to take me in. Four fricken hours later I was finally given permission (after my daughter was delivered) to go back to Garrison in my own M-998 (Humvee.) I had already arrainged for another NCO to take over my duties as Survey Chief in the event I had to go in early.

Obviously, Cathy was needed

I sure hope this is one instance where she is supposed to save a life. I can't imagine how devastating it would be to Cathy and Stella if they lost the child (or the mom). I too have taken driving trips where suddenly I was there, wondering what happened on the way. Kind of surprised Cathy didn't bring her assistant and sidekick, little miss Trish along.

The midwifes

need to wake up and do their jobs!