FTL-7...Faster Than Life.

Printer-friendly version

FTL-7…Faster Than Life.

Chapter 7

By the time the second shot is into me Stillwater’s strapping my sword to my hip. I’m not used to drinking and these shots are this stuff called reactor core which doesn’t bode well for me. It burns and kind of sucks the breath out of me.

Home alcohol isn’t a popular choice having gone seriously out of favor with most people since we all started having On-Body-Computers it and most drugs don’t mix well when you live in the networks and stuff so much.

Here though it’s different, there’s a cultural thing with being in the military itself but also there’s all the other colonial cultures where it’s see and used differently. Home it’s a smattering of light beers and a decent amount of wines and very little hard liquor.

This stuff I’m drinking is some kind of hot pepper and agave fermented product from Aztekina colony. I’m not sure why each time we do a shot of it people are yelling “Ole!”

There’s a lot of drinking and a lot of older and higher ranking people telling war stories of their own and I’m being passed a glass of beer between shots fairly regularly.

At first there was a lot of drinking and talking, then that and playing pool or darts. Then there’s a few times those of us who fly are in the simulator games. Booze is a funny thing for people some it turns their TTV to utter shit and others can actually do better while flying smashed.

I do a’right… I didn’t crash the fighter, I didn’t score all that well but I didn’t barf either.

***

I suck at pool and darts.

***

Whoo-hooo! I can drink beer upside-down!

***

“I likes Patrick, I really, really like Patrick….I like how hard he is…(Giggle)…no I mean like…like all musclelly and junk…junk…”

“Yeah….I like his junk too:)”

“I don’t get how much I can like…like…like him and how all like…like… (Hic) how like all muscle yummy good dick he is and not have ever liked the way I wuz born…”

“I mean that just kinda proves I was always a girl right? (Hic) ‘scuse me.”

“Y’know my family thought that I shoulda got my head fixed to make my brain work they way that they though it should have y’know?’

“They SUCK!!!”

“God made me and if he…huh?...gods a she?...oh that makes more sense…what? Sky pixie? Wait… wait you guys what’s the flying spaghetti monster?”

“Okay…anyway that why I’m me and why I’m me and why Patrick’s sooooo hawt.”

“Ooooh! Fries!” “But they taste better when their not mine.”

***

“Ooooh, hey Patrick, C’mon lets dance…”

***

“OH!!!, More!...More!, Harder, Patrick!, Harder!.......Ooooooooooh!!!”

***

……………………………… I wake up and I hurt, everything hurts even my implant hurts. There is this taste in my mouth that…I have no idea what it is or the left over’s of who knows what I did late night but it’s bad…vomit bad…which I can smell pretty well throughout our bunkroom.

The door pops open and there’s Stillwater there in her dress blacks in a garment/dry-cleaning sheath and she’s lighting something about as long as my thumb and three times as thick.

“Morning ladies, time to get up and shave your pussies you’ve got two hours before the funeral detail…Stone you’ve got one.”

With that she leaves and tosses in the firecracker and in our small bunkspace the boom is loud, but hung over it’s pure evil bitchiness. It brought tears to my eyes but poor Bree rolled over and grabbed her pillow and hurled into the pillowcase.

I’ve never had a real hangover in my entire life…no...well I tried a simulated one once. Oh…there’s no comparison.

Sitting and getting up my vagina hurts, and I’m examining myself and finding myself a little sore and raw and bruised with a little remaining semen making it’s way out now that I’m upright.

I get a bit of a flashback in the shower as I’m brushing my teeth of Patrick and I dancing and me trying to dance all sexy whore like bump and grind like the other girls…then there was kissing…and we were just about having sex there on the dance floor and somehow we made it into the storage room for the alcohol and I pulled him down ontop of me.

Hard plastic beer boxes…Okay that explains the bumps and bruises and scratches.

The memory does get me excited though. I’m not a rough sex person, I’m pretty sure of that but there is just something about having a man that you really want ripping your clothes open and taking you when you want it, really want it that’s like this sort of… crazy stamp on being a woman.

But god did it ever satisfy something primal inside of me, and that was something utterly woman.

I know it’s not exactly classy but I uhm rub one out there in the shower replaying that part of last night…it started as getting cleaned up but kind went off on a dirty tangent.

There’s one thing I have to say. It helped my hangover.

Two mild soy-café’s and I’m feeling better, the caffeine helps a lot and the protein in the soy helps with my stomach so by the time I’m in my dress blacks and sword strapped on I’m drinking slowly from a bottle of very cold water.

I’m met in the halls by Stillwater and she looks okay or mostly okay. I think she has a high threshold for hangovers as well as alcohol.

“You look alive Stone.”

“I’ve had better mornings Corporal but given what led us to this here this morning I’ve had a lot worse days too.”

“Good attitude Stone, I do the same anytime life decides to give me a break and I start thinking stupid. I just remember some of the things I’ve seen and late night paperwork doesn’t seem so bad.”

“My thought’s exactly Corporal.”

“Right, now you’re one of the survivors of the attack and the one who took out the Technarch so you’ll be a wreath bearer alright?”

“Yes Corporal will I be shown what to do?”

“Yeah, here you’ve got your sword belted wrong for this kind of thing.”

***

There’s close to seventy of us in the funeral procession into the hangar where they’d been killed and the fight had happened. Everyone who warranted being there was there in attendance in full uniforms.

The ship was at full stop outside of a large blue sun and seeing it and space beyond through the force field was so.

I’m at a funeral and holding this wreath made of black roses and white roses and something called Mistletoe and Holly. And there’s part of me that thinks it’s oddly beautiful? I’m crying just because… just because and were in the lead right behind the standard bearer and ahead of the musical escort.

I match steps with the march as the drums and the pipes start to play this ancient timeless song we play it home at some of our funerals and didn’t think that I’d hear amazing grace played here by a military band.

The Ex-O is giving the commands to the honor guard/pall bearers and it’s mostly them lining up and there is a sort of church like thing like when you sit or stand or kneel or stuff like let us pray from home but here it’s “Attention!” “Salute!” “About face!” and so on.

Once the caskets are laid in order of rank. It begins with the least in rank getting sent off first and as the casket was placed into the tube of the torpedo ship to ship torpedo launcher they use for funerals “at sea.” the Colonial Union flag is folded up as they play starting with drum then the bugle the song called “Butterfield’s lament.” Or as most call it Taps.

I place my wreath into the glass compartment built into the casket’s top where it rests on another flag that’s just for the fallen along with medals they’ve won or were awarded in death. They send other medals with the folded flag to the families if that was in their wishes.

I lay the wreath in the compartment and linger my fingers a moment before saluting the casket personally like the other wreath bearers before returning to the like up.

Taps ends and then the casket is fired into the sun. The path of each comes up on our implants and through a link to astrometrics and several probes that were set up we all get to see them burn up in the blue-white shimmer of the star.

Part of me loves the strange warrior poetry of the whole thing even as there’s tears running down my face. Part of me is just saying I’d rather this than being buried into the deep dark ground.

There’s speeches by some of the officers and the Commander for each one and honestly it takes a long time, close to three hours but no one is short changed their honourable funeral.

***

I’m hung over sore and tired but then so are a lot of people as we work out regular duty shifts but do this rotating attending of the wake. There’s more drinking and I’m off duty so I have a few but spend most of my time in the message booths recording my condolences for the families that will be getting things sent home.

I’m more than ready to crawl into my bunk by the time I’m done.

I’ve got a lot of thinking to do of whom if any in the family that I’d have my things sent to. It hurts thinking that they might not want anything to remember me by. They might have already written me off as dead to them.

up
210 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ohhh Bailey Hun!

Inflicting Mescal on a new drinker... that's attempted murder ;). I tend to recall a few Margarita parties where some suicidal fool brought Mescal instead of Tequila... and we all got stupid drunk... and paid...and paid...ow

Love the Ceremony and the precision and that Patrick is treating her well (and occasionally, when warranted Fu**ing the hell out of her) Giving her what she needs... and she needed the Drunk, the F**k and the ceremony.
Well Done Bailey,
Thank you,
Hugs,
Diana

I Love both Tequila and Mescal but

I know what you mean:) Don't try saki and watermellon liqueur BTW and especially when snowboarding.

I'm happy you liked the gritty part of this and the why of just needing that cutting loose thing. I tried to keep the military off duty part of it.

Thanks for reading and commenting Dianna:)
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

military drinking

there are times in your life that you drink like that. on the night we pulled into Rota Spain after a six month deployment, I drank more than I have at any other time in my life. the next morning when I had to do turn over with my counterpart on the relieving ship was not fun. I did feel better after I through up in his trash can though.
you rally nailed the spirt here.
great job, thanks

Ooooh really good really dangerous hard ciders in Spain.

I've drank like that on more than one occasion in my youth, I'm barely a social drinker now but I'm more about what I'm drinking than how much as a general rule. Going back to work or on duty after a bender isn't fun but it's a sort of thing you have to do/experience really.
On a ship though...ouch.
I'm glad I caught the whole spirit of the experience for the party and the funeral.
I'm so glad you read and loved the comment:)

Thanks LoneWolf.

*Hugs and Howls*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

FSM

How can you mention Pastafarianism without mentioning PIRATES? YAAARRR!

Good Stuff-

Bailey!
hugs
Grover

Thanks Grover!!!

*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Hail to the flying spagetti

Hail to the flying spagetti monster, or something.

I hate funerals... Especially unexpected funerals... It only get's worse if they do the brass band thing.

Must have been horrible sad for her. I'd bawled my eyes out in her place.

Thank you for writing this interesting story.

*noodly hugs*

Beyogi

Full Band it was a killed in the line of duty funeral.

While she wasn't breaking down and sobbing Erin did have tears streaming down her face through the whole thing. I had this image of the band playing Amazing grace as everyone could watch each casket flaring out as it got to the sun/star through the uplink to the probes.

Thanks for reading and the great comment.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Without a doubt I hate

Amazing Grace. Never, ever, want to hear it again. Not to mention that the bagpipes (along with the accordian) should be banned internationally.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

It's official:

Extravagance's picture

Women get drunk quicker than men, hence the lower recommended daily max alcohol for women. I cannot help but wonder if I will notice a reduced capacity for alcohol after I get my paws on some estrogen...
Alcohol simply accentuates one's personality though. Maybe I will become even more affectionate even faster than before. =)
*HuggleSnugglePurr* <3

- - -

Vampire Catgirl. I love huggles, and drinking blood out of a saucer on the floor! ^_^
Vampire_Catgirl.jpg
HAPPY HALLOWEEN! :D

Catfolk Pride.PNG

I'm not sure?

The recommendation seems to haven't made it's way to the notice of the female students here in town. A good 85% of our drunk students here are the girls. I've nothing against the odd party or two but really, really drunk get's old really quick.

*Huggles and your saucer of blood is nice and warm.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Mmm...

Extravagance's picture

*Kneels down and laps it up with her tongue* <3

- - -

Vampire Catgirl. I love huggles, and drinking blood out of a saucer on the floor! ^_^
Vampire_Catgirl.jpg
HAPPY HALLOWEEN! :D

Catfolk Pride.PNG

drunk sex and a funeral

both kinda reinforcing her femininity, in their own way.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

I know huh.

that something like both of those things would actually do something like that but it's right there.
Thanks for the great Comment Dorothy.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

I've never had a hangover

I've also never partied that hard (I've always been the designated driver/responsible party), so I can picture the scene, but not the feelings. Still, it isn't hard to imagine someone doing their best to see if it is possible to party too hard. This one sounds like a really good party!

Dealing with the death of your comrades and friends has got to suddenly make death a personal reality. Knowing that it could have easily been you...it would both make me feel fortunate and sad, maybe even a bit guilty that I didn't die with them. It may be inevitable, but no one really looks forward to facing that.

So you dragged our emotions around with this, making us laugh at their antics and cry with their grief. Good work, Bailey. That's quality storytelling.

Wren

Thanks Wren:) You're always such a sweetie.

I'm glad that this came around with the full gambit of emotions. I was trying to get that whole military vibe going with this story and it seems to have come through. I'm really glad that you liked it and thanks for the great Comment:)
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Drunk!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Want something that will sneak up on you and get you drunk instead of burn going down, Mead(wine made from honey), you can drink it down like soda pop without realizing how dam wasted you are getting.
Yes I have done that. *giggles*

Good chapter!

Mead...good stuff depending on the maker.

You can get it here imported from nearby Nova Scotia, it's also great to use to cook with. i had honey with mead and rosemary glazed suckling pig at a fall wedding when I first moved back here, it was really good.
*Big Hugs for Pixie Dust.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Hurting? You're alive

Jamie Lee's picture

While drinking parties are in honor of lost comrades, it's also for those still alive. How bad everyone feels the following morning depends on how inebriated they became the night before.

And the pain they feel in the morning let's them know they're still alive. Still able to sail on and gather more experiences. And likely to again morn more losses. Or be the one others morn for.

Others have feelings too.