The Transit of Venus, Book 2 - Ch 26

Printer-friendly version
image_31.jpg

Book 2, Chapter 26

Proper classes don't run on Easter Saturdays for a host of reasons but when the staff are unpaid there are ways around that as long as you can pressure the key-holder to let you into the hall. As far as those taking part were concerned it was situation normal until I let slip that we were holding an Easter Bonnet race starting 11am next day at The Millenium Centre. Once said of course it was another reason why I couldn't pull out and on Sunday morning I was having my bonnet secured.

Serena's logic was impeccable - from Easter to Easter eggs to chickens; one of which was perched on her head. From there via my first television appearance it was but a small step to my parrot inspired bonnet. In truth I rather liked the hat, other than the parrot and the fact it was nailed to my head as we raced around the city centre.

Serena had been economical with the truth in describing the event as a Charity Half-Marathon as there were no facilities, the publicity had been by word of mouth and there were a mere 30 runners plus 10 can-rattlers involved. Regular City Events don't, it seems, just materialise out of thin air and somebody has to be first to whip-up local enthusiasm for an idea which was why our course was 4 times around the areas where tourists concentrate and included climbing a ladder - not the brightest of ideas as, although popular with spectators, after running 13 miles in just under 2 hours, climbing it on the 4th occasion almost finished me off and certainly left me no energy to gloat over Serena's exhausted much later finish! The winner I did not recognise but I was certain he wasn't local as a full lap ahead of me he flaunted his prowess with a victory dance. unlike when I crossed the line and my Down's Syndrome dancing partners had to hold me up (having seen them on the dance floor I insisted next time it was their turn to run).

* * * * * *

In one of my better moments of forward planning I'd asked to borrow Bill's magic bus so we would have somewhere to wash and change after the race. What eventually happened was the whole family came into town and congregated at the bus which Bill and Grandma drove into the city but at least Serena, Penny and I got turns in its shower cubicle while Jenny, Gwen and Martina made arrangements with a nearby restaurant owner (I don't know and don't really want to know what the boys did if in fact it was any more than donning jeans and jumpers).

Wales once had a strongly religious culture which linked to the choirs and the rugby but only the rugby seemed to be holding its own in changing times, with Evan and George still playing yesterday (Andy and Gareth attending as spectators). The fun run was just that, fun, not being connected to the religious Easter in any real way but the pleasure it gave was undeniable. There seems to be a deep human need for events to mark the passing of time which I thought would probably outlive any religious institution's attempt to highjack it or the efforts of business to turn it into a pure money making opportunity and, more by accident than design, a very good crowd was there to cheer in the last of the 'official finishers' at 2:15 pm

22 of the 30 starters completed the course by the cut off time including all my friends but for Gwen who I don't imagine expected to finish dressed as a chicken! Waivers were given to the majority who had the commom sense to bypass the ladder and Philip was the only one of my friends who didn't run claiming he could raise more for charity with his race photos which we only allowed as long as he matched or surpassed the average tin-rattler's donation. Martina wanted him to wear a tutu and bonnet but she was voted down on the grounds of homophobic stereotyping - a decision I regretted when I later found out he'd taken some photos of the women runners, including me, very much oriented toward the male market!

* * * * * *

Easter 2001 was special in many ways not least of which was the weather but mostly it was to do with my family and friends. Bill and Grandma's happiness was infectious of course but I think Mum and Dad were aware that there were likely to be an increasingly fewer chances for us all to be together. I won't say LItara was in love but Simon was at the run and the two of them disappeared for 3 hours together on Monday afternoon. Beth seemed to have adopted me as a big sister, at least as far as using my hard-won modelling experience to give her an image makeover. So all-in-all it was a huge success until Monday evening in the marina restaurant where I'd made sure the whole of Arianrhod Development including the Dougan's, Penny and Serena were present because I'd had an idea…

"When I was at school I was frustrated that there wasn't more to do during the summer holidays. Now I'm director of Arianrhod Development I want you to make an Arianrhod's Day race in July or August. We have a trophy because Arianrhod is the goddess of the silver wheel and there's a stainless yacht's steering wheel on the wall in the workshop and to make it about steering it can be a dinghy race with one person calling instructions and one person rowing in a blindfold…"

* * * * * *

"Why?" was the word on everyone's lips but my answer was simple.

"It's not my job to say why! Directors say what, where and when. That done they leave others to decide how and why."

With that I took my temporary leave to do a circuit of the marina by myself until I got back to the restaurant door where Bill was waiting.

"What was all that about Venus? It was a great deal of fuss for a small event."

"It's because of you Bill. You joining the family has pulled us together in a better way than ever before in my memory. I like it and I don't want us to lose that feeling, but it will fall apart unless we make a continued effort to encourage the things that unite us"

up
161 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Parrot Hat!!

Christina H's picture

Very colourful but even though it was 'nailed' to Venus's head not awfully practical to run and climb ladders - certainly a must to get you noticed though!

It appears that Venus is worrying about straining her ties with those she loves, but as a budding yachtswoman this is part and parcel of the job.

I don't know what the hen costume was but I got an access forbidden - it wasn't a plucked chicken was it??

Keep up the great work I look forward to my fix of Venus (think about it)

Christina

Me too

I got that "Forbidden error" too :(

Joanna

Hmmm, I would think.....

Venus finding more to do over the summer wouldn't be a problem! (It hasn't been as of yet!).
I think it's sweet that Penny's adopted Venus as her big sister!
Bill and Tina are forces of nature and will go on seemingly forever!
Now as for the "Mid-Summer Classic"(dingy race), this should prove to be interesting if Venus has anything to do with it!
Yet another lovely chapter Rhona dear! Loving Hugs Talia

"I don't want us to lose that feeling"

Good for her for realizing that those kinds of feelings dont stay unless you do stuff to encourage them to.

DogSig.png

Thank you for the encouragement and Curious chicken link

Rhona McCloud's picture

A necessary sentimental period in Venus's life before it turns gung-ho I think.
I removed the problematic link but for those who are curious you might google
person-in-chicken-costume-waiting-at-bus-stop

Rhona McCloud

missed the chicken suit

That looked like a parrot eating flower. I hope it wasn't windy that day.
That hat could make you sail away

Kevin