My Super-powered Diary: Chapter 34

Printer-friendly version
Merida.png
My Super-powered Diary
Chapter 34
Soul Train

By
Amethyst


When Maddock Ainsley gets involved in a rescue operation with his unit things go horribly wrong and his life is forever changed. Can the newly minted Merida cope with being a girl and a teenage super hero?
“So what do you think is making Mei pass out when she’s creating permanent creatures anchored to our reality? And why did Merida pass out instead when she created Peaches?” Vanessa asked in concern.

 


 
Author's Note: Here's chapter 34 of MSPD, I'm sorry that it's a few minutes late, but I've been a little under the weather. I hope you all enjoy, and thank you for supporting my stories. ~Amethyst.
 


 
Chapter 34: Soul Train

Mom’s eyes widened at Jordyn’s hushed comment? “Yuir certain Jordyn?”

The four-armed girl nodded very slowly. “My Mom is a Contractor Medium too, so she and Woodwynd, the nature spirit that she’s contracted to, were able to give me a good handle on my Medium abilities before I came here. We may not be Souldancers, but we can sense and manipulate spirit energy to a small degree, and see when someone else is doing the same. It actually makes sense and explains a few things about both Mei and the Fairies.” She looked at me and Peaches for a moment. “I’m guessing that when she created Peaches that she wasn’t the one who passed out, but Merida?” It was a question, but she seemed pretty sure of the answer.

“Aye, bu’ how dae ya ken tha’?” I replied, not quite sure what all of this talk about Souldancers was about.

“Every soul I’ve seen since I Activated has had a unique feel to it, a different flavor I guess. I was wondering why all of the Fairies seem to have the same flavor, I mean there are slight differences between them all, but mostly their souls feel a lot like Mei’s,” she explained. “Fawn feels like hers too, but there’s this really strong connection to Merida that I can’t really explain that makes her feel like a blending of the two. Peaches feels more like Merida, with slight differences, but I don’t sense any of Mei’s flavor.”

“Well Fawn an’ Merida are quantum entangled, so that might explain that,” Mom offered with a thoughtful expression. “I was actually hopin’ to get a sensitive Medium to watch Mei usin’ her powers, since we ‘ave yet to discover a way of accurately sensing spirit energy manipulation, an’ I didn’t want to rule tha’ out. So what else does tha’ explain about Mei? Ya said there were a few things.”

“Yeah, the other thing was when she healed Lindsey. I could sense that Lindsey’s soul was weakening and ready to leave her body while Mei was trying to heal the damage, we almost lost her twice. It was like Mei forced her soul to stay in place and infused it with ambient spirit energy to strengthen it. I thought it was some sort of magic based healing ability or spell.”

“So what do you think is making Mei pass out when she’s creating permanent creatures anchored to our reality? And why did Merida pass out instead when she created Peaches?” Vanessa asked in concern.

The young Medium looked thoughtful for a long moment. “I think that when she’s temporarily summoning creatures that she’s using ambient spirit energy to create temporary artificial souls for the bodies she creates. It’s really not much different than a Souldancer placing ambient spirit energy in an inanimate object and controlling it, except she’s giving them a degree of free-will. Ambient spirit energy is easy to change since its very nature is change, but it wouldn’t stay in that form long for that same reason, unless she’s focussing on keeping it that way. It wouldn’t work for permanent living creatures, so I think that she’s using fragments of her own soul to create them and that would be really taxing on both body and soul, since they’re intertwined. Her soul needs time to heal after that. Merida, was she touching you when she created the egg that Peaches was in?”

I thought back, trying to remember and then quickly nodded. “Aye she was. Fawn tol’ me when I woke tha’ Mei didnae mean fer me tae pass out, bu’ she was tryin’ tae link Peaches tae jus’ me instead o’ her.”

“Then she must have used a shard of your soul to create Peaches,” Jordyn said with a nod. “I don’t even think she’s conscious of how she’s doing what she’s doing.”

“She’s giving out pieces of her soul, and Merida’s? Won’t that be a problem for them?” Andy asked with a look of concern on his face.

“Not really, at least I don’t think so,” the Medium replied after a moment’s thought. “Souls grow stronger as the person lives, they start off small, like the piece she just gave to create Vidia. It may be a shock to the system, but souls are kind of like a spiritual muscle, sure there’s short term discomfort when you strain them, but they can heal and grow stronger after being strained, though not many people get a chance to exercise their soul. I’d guess that Mei is going to feel less strained each time she does this.”

“The data does seem t indicate tha’ so far, she’s been unconscious less an’ less time wit’ each occurrence,” Mom agreed. “Yuir probably right about her no’ realizin’ what she’s doin’ either. Wi’ wildcards it’s often several different abilities workin’ together to make one new ability, bu’ they often can’t use those abilities separately. Or need to be trained to. Mei is usin’ her abilities instinctively, bu’ maybe you can help her learn to sense the spirit energy an’ souls like you do. If she really is a Souldancer then she should be able to sense as well as manipulate.”

“I can try Dr. Ainsley maybe I can work with her a bit over the long weekend before school starts,” Jordyn offered with a smile. “I need to practice anyway, but I am still a beginner myself.”

At least it didn’t sound like there were any serious long term effects from our soul transfusions, and we knew a little more about how Mei was doing what she was. Still, I wanted to be as informed as possible and asked, “Wot exactly kin ya tell us aboot Souldancers Jordyn? I think tha’ I go’ the gen’ral idea, bu’ I dinnae really ken much aboot Mediums, an’ tha’ could be bad if’n we e’er need to fight one or sumthin’ supernatural.”

Jordyn gave us a quick guide on Mediums. Whereas most people aren’t very sensitive to spirit energy or souls, Mediums can sense them and choose to host spirits in their bodies. Channelers can only do this for a short time and it isn’t much more than communication and giving the spirit a short-term place to stay in the world of the living. They’re sort of like a hotel for ghosts. Contractors like Jordyn are a little bit more sensitive and can host spirits permanently by making a contract with them and gaining some of that spirit’s powers, though they have to be careful when making the contract.

Souldancers like Mei though are even more resistant to possession than normal humans, who can only be possessed if their souls are weakened for some reason. They can also sense and easily manipulate souls and spirit energy more naturally than other Mediums. It’s a pretty scary power actually. They can move souls from one body to another, absorb spirit energy, and some can even send it into non-living objects to bring them to life. This was sort of what Mei was doing, although she was also creating living bodies for them with the Generator aspects of her power.

She had just finished her lesson when Brooke, Shu, and the Fairies came out of the lab, with Vidia now dressed and sitting upon Brooke’s shoulder. The newest Fairy had her dark violet hair in a ponytail and was wearing a purple vest with pink feathers, purple pants, and black ballet flats. Mom quickly reminded Brooke of their busy schedule tomorrow and that now they’d not only send the adoption papers to Tara, but now also ask Tara about an identity for Vidia while they were doing that. The idea was that Vidia could have been another college student-turned-fairy created by the Matriarch for another girl who didn’t Activate or survive the experiments. There was enough truth in that, since there were a lot of girls who hadn’t survived the Zeta Bomb.

Mom called Dr. Edwards to make sure that she would have school ID bracelets for both Brooke and Vidia in the morning. They would start their day the next morning with picking those up and then go see Sam Jackson and Tiny about the weapons safety and certification class for the pair. That would be followed by a visit to Toxin for some tests and to work out their class schedules and dorm assignment and a visit to the Taylors for a new wardrobe. When all that was finally done they would head downtown to go to the bank, get Brooke a phone, and to go get the pair their licenses for hero work and carry permits from City Hall, the last of which they would need to do in costume.

Mom would be getting up extra early though, both to see me off before I went to meet with Hana and the others, and to call Tara on the east coast to get the adoption papers for Brooke fast-tracked and an identity for Vidia. Mom had already filled out, signed, and faxed the adoption papers to her not long after getting home and getting the details about Brooke’s parents, birthdate, and place of birth. She had also warned Tara of the possibility of a new Fairy when she had talked to her earlier in the day and apparently the HPP official had mentioned preparing an identity for one, in case Brooke should accept the adoption and a new Fairy should appear. As soon as the details were worked out in the morning, Tara would have the document packages couriered to our home.

Since we had such busy days planned tomorrow we didn’t stay up too late. Jordyn hung out for a while and she seemed to hit it off with Brooke and Vidia as well as she had with the rest of us, though with Vidia it was a bit hard to tell. We talked about the upcoming long weekend, the barbeque at Hana’s place, and the upcoming school year as we played a game of Monopoly. Since Mei was out cold, Tink offered to team up with Jordyn and the Fairies moved the pieces along the board while we humans rolled the dice. Around ten o’clock Andy gave Jordyn a ride home while the rest of us prepared for bed.

~”~”~

I was Maddock again, in my stone cell and trying to open the thick steel door, but try as I might the door wouldn’t budge. I called out over my radio, “Can anyone read me? Grizzly? Hammer? Tank? Spitfire? Reaper?”

“They won’t answer,” Reaper’s voice replied. “They’re dead, we failed them. You need to get out of there before the bomb goes off. Come on Mac, you’re a big strong guy, so get that door open and get to safety. I’ll wait for you, maybe afterwards we can get together like we did after that mission in Orlando. Just you, me, a good bottle of Scotch, and a hotel room.”

I yanked at the door as hard as I could, but it still wouldn’t budge. “Tha’ was a mistake Tabby, we both know tha’. It shouldn’t ‘ave happened.”

“Yeah, it shouldn’t have happened those other times either Maddock, but you and me, we always were like gasoline and a match. A quick hot and uncontrolled blaze, leaving only ashes and regrets behind. A little like that room if you’re still in there when that bomb goes off. We always had the passion, but we never could have made it work long term, we both knew that. It’s why we called it quits before things got serious and concentrated on our careers and keeping the team safe.”

I struggled against the door, kicking it in frustration. “Why are ya bringin’ this up now o’ all times!”

“Well I figured I’d give you some advice since you seem to have gotten over me and are going for the newer model. A bit young for you isn’t she? Or is she?” The bomb went off and once again my body was on fire, changing, becoming younger with the agonizing pulling of flesh and cracking of bones. I knelt there, breathing heavily, and tears falling to the stone floor beneath me, a thirteen year old girl once again. “You’re not exactly an old man any more Maddock, don’t worry what people will think so much. The two of you seem to get along well enough, and it’s more than just attraction and pent up lust and sexual frustration like it was with us. Maybe you could be happy, if you live long enough.”

That was when I heard the foot steps coming ever closer to my cell. A voice called out, echoing off the walls. “Hey big boy, did you survive? I’m interested to see how you turned out. Come out and play!” It was Phantom. My heart raced and I was shaking in fear. I kept trying to pull the door open, but it wouldn’t budge and the walls were closing in around me, leaving nowhere to run or hide. Her face suddenly appeared in the tiny window of the steel door grinning and licking her lips as she looked me over. “Come make yourself useful brat, you’re one of us now!”

I stumbled back from the door, but there was nowhere to go, the walls had closed in around me so tight that I felt like I was in a stone coffin. I couldn’t breathe. I was taking great gasps of air, but none of it seemed to help. She opened the door, reaching for me and I fell to the floor to roll up in a ball and wait for the inevitable while pleading, “Please, nae, ya dinnae wan’ tae dae this…”

“Someone’s going to control you brat, it could be me…”

“Or it could be the Shadow Syndicate,” a new voice said. I looked between my fingers to see Quartz giving me that crazed smile of hers. “I’m here to tell you all about our wonderful organization. We have this great health plan. If you join us then you, and maybe even the rest of your family, get to live. Your powers are too tempting, people are going to keep coming after you, and you can’t stop us all. You can’t protect your sisters all the time either.”

I could feel the power rushing through me. “Nae! I’ll protec’ them! I’ll ne’er help ya or le’ ya ‘ave them!” More and more energy seemed to rush through me, my force field expanding around me and getting ever hotter and brighter, bubbling with unstable energy until the cramped room, Phantom, and Quartz all disappeared in a blinding flash of light.

I opened my eyes to see that I was in the center of a massive crater that I could barely see the rim of. All around me there was the rubble of buildings and the remains of vehicles, people, and a once proud city now reduced to nothing but a painful looking memory. In front of me I saw a mangled mess of wrought iron that had once been a gate set in a brick wall and I shuffled toward it unthinkingly, stubbing my bare toe against something as I went. I looked down to see a blackened bronze plaque, the letters stating clearly for all to see; Pacific Seaside Academy. I was in Costa Verde, or what was left of it.

“Nae! This is a dream, another nightmare! I need tae wake up!” I collapsed to the floor, hands clenched so tightly that my nails drew blood and my chest tightening as the tears flowed and I began sobbing. I couldn’t breathe and I clenched my eyes shut, trying to keep out the scene around me, but then there were the voices. They called me a freak, accused me of killing them all, and some asked why. I think those were the worst, because those were the voices I recognized. Mom, Andy, my sisters, Hana and her family, the other members of 4-Ward, and other people I knew from the school.

I opened my eyes to see them all, a whole city of dead people surrounding me and shuffling closer. They were all there; strangers, family, and friends. The accusation in their eyes, the anger and fear as they came for me. I could feel their hands on me and I screamed.

~”~”~

I awoke screaming as once again my power lashed out, only being contained by the energy shield that Mom had built into the frame of my bed. I’m not quite sure how long I laid there, curled up in a ball, shaking, and sobbing as Fawn tried to comfort me, but when she had finally managed to calm me down I saw that the alarm clock’s display said 4:11 am. I wiped away the tears and took a deep breath to calm myself and took Peaches from her basket, holding both her and Fawn close like a pair of stuffed animals. I didn’t plan on going back to sleep, since I had planned on being up soon anyway, but I was pretty sure that I wouldn’t have been able to sleep again anytime soon, even if I had been willing to try.

As we laid there, all huddled together under my blanket, Fawn asked, “Another bad one huh Merida?”

“Aye,” I replied, not wanting to go into anymore detail than that. My two companions didn’t need to know the content of those dreams to comfort me, and Fawn knew that recalling them sometimes only made it harder for me to shake them off. It was bad enough having to recall them well enough to write them all down in the dream journal that Toxin was making me keep for our counselling sessions. I had seen her twice already since moving to Costa Verde, but I was due to see her again on the first day of classes as well. I wasn’t really sure I wanted to show her that journal, since the dreams seemed to be getting worse rather than better. It was like my trauma and all my worst fears were conspiring against me.

When the alarm went off at four thirty I reluctantly climbed out of bed, wrote down the dream in my journal, and then Fawn and I started to get ready for our day. There wasn’t really much to do once we were showered, had our hair done, and had gotten dressed. I had already packed bags and they and all of our gear for the trip were packed in my portable pocket dimension. I was bringing all the training stuff for Peaches, extra clothes, the camping gear that I had bought, my surfboard, hiking gear, my bikini, the Mythrilex sleeping bags, and the tent with the built in energy shield that Mom had made for the occasion. All I really needed to do was put all the food and drinks that I had bought, with some ice, into the coolers inside the portable portal.

Mom was up to see us off, reminding us to be careful and not get into any trouble, as she helped me load the coolers. Once that was all done and Fawn, and I double checked that we had all of our supplies and gear, I picked up Peaches and we flew over to Paul Bunyan’s Pancake House to meet the others for a quick breakfast. Well, since I was eating, it wasn’t as quick as we may have liked, but once we had all finished Hana’s parents wished us all a good trip, hugged us all, and sent us on our way. Then, once we had stuffed all their gear in my portable pocket dimension and Fawn had dusted Michelle and Lindsey, we all took to the skies and followed Michelle as she led us to the private little cove up past Coral Bay and far away from the city. It was going to be a trip that none of us would ever forget.

 

Merida's Corner.jpg

 

‘ello agin e’eryone an’ welcome agin tae Merida’s Corner. Today I will be teachin’ all o’ ya aboot Wildcards. There’s no’ really much tha’ I kin say aboot Wildcards, ‘cept tha’ they’re basically anyone whose powers dinnae fit intae the other types or whose powers work in ways tha’ cannae be easily deciphered.

Wildcards are usually mutants who ‘ave a power that’ cannae be easily categorized. Usually this is ‘cause they ‘ave one or more diff’ren’ abilities from separate classes tha’ are workin’ in conjunction tae create a power tha’ is diff’ren from anythin’ seen afore. Mei is a good example o’ this. Mei kin gather magic energy like a Mystic, she’s a versatile Generator able tae create livin’ matter, and she’s a Souldancer Medium, able tae control an’ manipulate spirit energy an’ souls. She doesnae really ken ‘ow tae dae any o’ those individually though, instead instinctively usin’ them t’gther tae heal or create livin’ creatures. She kin probably learn tae use the abilities separately, bu’ it will take trainin’ an’ time. Fer now, her powers combined are versatile enough tha’ she could be a force tae be reckoned wit’ if she really tried.

Well, tha’s all tha’ I ‘ave tae say aboot Wildcards today, so tha’s all fer now an’ I’ll see all o’ ya nex’ week when I’ll start answerin’ questions from the readers.

Copyright © 2019-2020 Amethyst Gibbs
up
154 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

nightmares

the nightmare makes perfect sense with the stuff she's been through, but its a good sign that she knew she was in a dream. That's a skill I've never mastered, in fact, if I ever say, "I must be dreaming" I know I'm awake.

DogSig.png

nightmares

Amethyst's picture

They were bound to happen with Merida, given the trauma she's been through and the things she has on her mind. She wasn't really sure if she was really dreaming, and wasn't able to make herself wake up regardless. It was more that she was really hoping it was a dream because they alternative was just too hard to face. I really wish I could lucid dream or force myself awake when I get dreams like that.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Dreams

I wish I could remember my dreams. It has to be a second blue moon following a red super moon on the 32nd day of the month during the 13th hour of the night for me to remember one.

Okay, maybe not that bad, but it's dang rare that I ever remember one.

- Leona

Well that last sentence

Well that last sentence sounds rather ominous for the next chapter, can't wait.

lol

Amethyst's picture

Why do people always assume when I end a chapter with a line like that, that it's going to be something bad? ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

"And that's all I have to say about that!" lol

And "nobody puts Merida in the corner"!
Interesting take on Mei's abilities, and pretty close to what I thought. I see you're giving your finger nails a break this time? (No real cliffhanger here). Nice Ame's, Loving Hugs, Talia

putting Merida in the corner

Amethyst's picture

I do that at the end of each chapter ;)

Just a small pseudo cliffhanger this time, since broke a nail earlier. lol
Thanks Talia

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Hope

TheCropredyKid's picture

Here's chapter 34 of MSPD, I'm sorry that it's a few minutes late, but I've been a little under the weather.

One hopes "under the weather" is all it is...

 
 
 
x

Nothing major

Amethyst's picture

Just a bit of a cold I think, nothing too major. We've been staying pretty well quarantined with my poor immune system. I've been fighting depression and I haven't been sleeping well again the past two weeks, so it might just be catching up with me.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

I feel so much better about Mei as a souldancer now

Nyssa's picture

I was a little worried about where or who the fairies souls were coming from, but this was such a nice explanation (even if it wasn't delivered in Merida's unique voice). Speaking of whom, she reaaaaallly seems to be beating herself up. I don't think she's dealing with it properly when she's awake, so her dreams are where it gets dealt with (at least that's how I interpret what you're putting her through). I'v never really been in a situation where I'd feel survivor's guilt, but I can see how insidious it could be. Combine that with danger that could still affect those you care for and you have someone who could impulsively go rogue or collapse in PTSD. Serious stuff for such a fun story (which it truly is). Thanks Ame! Feel better (practicing my souldancing).

Mei

Amethyst's picture

She's really not the type to allow another to come to harm, even subconsciously, and she felt pretty bad about Merida passing out after Peaches' egg was created. She wouldn't do that to someone knowingly again without their consent. As for Merida, yeah she's holding on to a lot of guilt, she's terrified of what she might someday do if she loses control completely, and there seem to be a lot of people who want her and her sisters for their abilities. She's going through a lot, and doesn't really like to talk about her feelings or look weak, and she's used to burying those types of emotions, which is why Toxin has her doing the dream journal. I like to keep the story fun but the characters have been through a lot and the trauma and PTSD should be taken seriously, though I try not to bog down the story with them.

Thanks Nyssa, I shall certainly try.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Need a breakthrough

Jamie Lee's picture

Someone getting their hands on Mei would not be good. With threats, they could get her to create just about anything. Anything that could devastate cities.

Mer needs to let go of the guilt she feels of being the survivor when that bomb went off. Yes the girls died, but it wasn't Mer's fault they died and she lived. She also needs to let go that Phantom died, it was a piece of crap anyway. Pink, why would Mer give a hoot about her? Or is it what Pink says in Mer's dream?

Jordyn's idea why Mei passes out after creating a being is more information than they had, but doesn't explain how she does it.

That last bit in this chapter, a trip none of them would forget, can be taken two ways. One is that it was the most fun they'd ever had. Or, two, oy vey, more trash needs their butts kicked. Now whether that trash is hypers or normals is anyone's guess.

Guess we won't know the why's and wherefore's until the next chapter is posted. Which will be...?

Others have feelings too.

Mei in the wrong hands could

Amethyst's picture

Mei in the wrong hands could be disastrous, though she's smart so I wouldn't want to be the one who tried to use her loved-ones as hostages.

Mer has a lot of survivors guilt packaged in with her PTSD. Phantom has kind of become the embodiment of her darker thoughts and doubts. Merida was scared of her, even as Maddock, and she wasn't used to being scared of anything, that as much as her transformation shook the foundation for everything that she thought she was. She doesn't really care about Pink, it's more what Pink says and that she's a recent representation of the danger they could all be in.

Jordyn can explain things, but it really doesn't help anyone who's not a Medium to actually understand.

As for the trip, yep, people always think I mean the worst when I pull a last line like that, but they could just have a really good time, it could be a mix of both even. We'll find out on Saturday ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Alfred

TheCropredyKid's picture

One of the Batman "Adventures" comics - comics telling original stories in the style of the animated series {and probably my favourite Batman books, taken as a whole} had Alfred being kidnapped and Batman, Robin and Nightwing and Batgirl not worrying about it and going on with other things.

As i recall, it happened twice in the same story and Alfred dealt with it quite satisfactorily on his own,

 
 
 
x