Sam and Del -18- Del isn't such a bad guy after all.

Printer-friendly version

Both my braids were between us, so I pushed them back.

samanddel-cov4-001_0.jpg
Sam and Del
18. Del isn't such a bad guy, after all.
by Erin Halfelven

After we got off our phones to our respective parental units who were going to meet us outside the restaurant in ten minutes, Del asked, "So what are you doing Friday night?"

"Gah," I replied. He grinned at me, making his sad eyes crinkle up. We were only waiting for the server to return with the charge slip for Del to sign.

"I'm not allowed to go on solo dates," I managed. At least, that had been the rule when Hannah was my age. "I mean if that's why you're asking." I made a face, too, like I was apologizing.

Did I want to go on a date with Del? That question buzzed around in my head like an Amazon delivery drone looking for 334 Olive St. I'm not sure I heard the next thing he said.

"Huh?" I said. Well, it works for other blondes. I pulled at one of my braids to enhance the image.

"You've got a sister, right? Maybe we could double date with her?"

"Uh...." I considered how that would work. I shook my head. "On Fridays, she goes to the gym to watch her boyfriend commit assault on opposing wrestlers." It wasn't football season.

"Perfect!" he said.

I laughed at him. He looked and sounded so absurdly pleased.

"No, seriously," he said. "She can be our chaperone, and then we can go get burgers or pizza with her and Gronkowski after the match."

"Bronkowski," I corrected him. "He's the Gronk because of some cartoon character, but his name is really Bronkowski."

"Is he sensitive about it?"

"Uh...." I giggled at the thought. The Gronk was about as sensitive as a slab of asphalt. It escaped before I could think about whether I should be giggling.

Del still seemed pleased. "I don't know him well," he explained. "He's a senior, and we don't do the same sports."

"Hmm," I said. I thought of something. Mom and Mrs. D had already talked about setting me up on a double date with Hannah. I started to feel a bit trapped.

Del smiled at me, and I smiled back. It was like automatic. I couldn't help it. Somehow, we were holding hands again, my two dainty mitts covered by his huge ones.

We stared at each other for a bit, long enough for the server to return for the signature freeing us to leave. I don't know what was going through Del's mind, but I had been considering how to get out of a Friday night date that seemed foreordained.

And secondarily, did I really want to get out of it? We seemed to do a lot of staring at each other, not saying anything, just staring. His eyes were a warm dark brown with glints of gold and green and even blue. I think I said that before.

What did he see when he looked into my eyes? The server came back with the card he had used just then, and I blinked as he took his hands off mine to take the clipboard she held out for him to sign.

I gathered my purse, surprising myself by remembering it, and Del helped me stand. It was an odd feeling, especially since he kept hold of my hand as we left the restaurant.

I heard him thank the servers and the hostess, and I nodded and smiled at them. They did the same back. Was this some sort of girlfriend protocol? Did I not have to say anything because he took care of that?

What was happening to me? With my long hair, people had been mistaking me for a girl for years. But this was different. Del, and everyone else, were treating me like a girl, and I was just going along....

Was I liking it? I decided I might be, as play-acting, it was kind of fun. But when my two weeks were up, I would naturally go back to being a boy.

Wouldn't I?

We found some shade under tall trees that must have been planted when the mall was new. A green-painted steel bench that was only long enough for two people to sit close together waited there for us.

Del held my hand while I sat, brushing my skirt out from under me, exactly like I had been doing so since kindergarten. Then he sat beside me, smiling with his sad eyes and still holding my hand. He'd said a few things as we left the restaurant and found our resting place, but I hadn't heard a word, just the sound of his baritone murmur.

"You're quiet," he observed.

I considered answering with a terse, "Yep," but decided to just nod instead.

He grinned, and another giggle may have escaped me.

He put an arm around my shoulders, and I—I leaned against him. What am I doing? I wondered. He felt so strong and solid. Reliable? I wasn't sure.

"I think I like quiet girls," he said aloud. 

"Oh, now you've spoiled it," I said in a light voice. I'm teasing him. Am I flirting?

"I know I like you," he said. And he bent his big head toward me. I turned to face him, and he kissed me on the forehead.

I couldn't breathe! I'd just been kissed by a boy! My face felt hot, my middle felt cold, and my brain was being freeze-dried between them. What would happen if he were to kiss me on the lips?

I made to pull away from him, and he instantly let go of my hand and took his arm off my shoulders. He still smiled down at me, though.

"It's a good thing you're so tall," I said, my heart thuttering in my chest like a bird against the high windows in the multi-purpose room at school.

"Why's that?" He murmured the question so quietly I had to lean toward him again to hear.

Both of my braids swung around between us, so I brushed them back. I turned my face up toward his and whispered back, "Because you missed." I did something with the tip of my tongue. "My lips are down here," I said.

What the heck am I doing!?!

His sad eyes announced his intent to kiss me again, and I tried to brace myself for the impact. Then he straightened up and leaned away from me again. "The parental units are here," he said.

I almost landed face down in his lap! How embarrassing would that have been?

I heard Mom's voice announce their arrival. "We got here as quickly as we could, and none too soon, I see." She sounded more than amused.

Mrs. D chimed in. "We're using your father as a pack mule, Del. Come take a few packages off him, please." She sounded neutral, if not slightly disapproving.

"Do," grunted Mr. D. "You can see how your girlfriend tastes later."

Ack!

The adults laughed, but for me, mortifaction had begun, and I sat unmoving and certainly unable to speak.

"Sam's not my girlfriend," Del announced. "Yet," he added after two beats. He turned to smile at me and offered a hand to help me up from the bench.

My heart had started beating again, so I took it and stood.

Del and Mr. D juggled packages while Mom slipped an arm around my waist. "I talked to your sister," she said quietly. "She's down with being your chaperone. Did Del ask you out?"

I nodded, afraid of making squeaking noises if I opened my mouth.

"Hannah even seems eager for the chore," Mom observed.

Oh, jeez! She's already plotting how much she's going to tease me!

up
156 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Gotta love those moms...

That push for kids to get "together," then disapprove when they do!

Love the chapter, as always. Wish it were longer, as always!

HUGS!
S

Seen it so many times :)

erin's picture

I try to make chapters within a story about the same length. So Pete has a bit longer chapters, SFX and Queer a bit shorter. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Wonderful writing

Angharad's picture

Thank you, Erin. 'You can taste your girlfriend later' is a wonderful line which I might have to borrow sometime. I hope you have recovered from your illness and thank you once again for this lovely, gentle, quirky tale. Oh, did I say I like it?

Angharad

LOL

erin's picture

Yeah, sometimes I crack myself up while writing. :)

Thanks for the nice comment.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Gah!

Parents! I mean, I know it's sorta their job to embarrass you, especially around somebody you like ... but still! ;)

Payback

erin's picture

It works both ways. :) No one can embarrass you like your kids. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Sam

I wonder if she is intersexed at all that she hasn’t entered male puberty yet.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Mostly

erin's picture

Mostly, she's confused and Del is being super nice to her. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.