Childhood Friend 2

Printer-friendly version

{NOTE: Images and links are used only as the reference to the character in the story}

Chapter 2: Past & Present.

“What! When?” I asked my mom

“A week before I met her mother in the market yesterday. She told me that She & Shalini are moving to their old house.” Answered my mom. (My Mom and Shalini's mom are good friends.)

Me: Did you know why?

Mom: I think it was because Shalini got a Job in the town or something.

Me: She got a JOB....where?

Mom: She didn't tell me that & don't you think it's better if you ask her yourself.

Neha: Yeah, mom's right you know.

Me: Hmm...I don't know if I can. The last time we had a conversation was 5 years ago and that too ended in a big argument.

Mom: That was 5 years ago. I am sure she misses you.

Neha: She must have forgotten about it by now and things like this are common between friends.

Me: (sigh) I hope you are right. (hesitatingly)

Neha: Don't worry about it too much little brother. Now tell me about this close friend of yours. (grinning)

Mom: It's getting late for both of you. Now go to your room and sleep now.

Neha: MooooM!!

Mom: Let him rest now. We didn't let him relax the whole day.

Neha: Ok! We will talk in the morning. Good night both of you.

Me: Goodnight.

Mom: Goodnight.

Me: Ok Mom I should go too.

Mom: Son are those braids comfortable or want me to...

Me: This is great mom don't worry...GOOD NIGHT MOM!

Mom: Good Night Son.

I went to my room turned off the lights adjusted both of my braids and laid on my bed.

"They are still here!" I said while looking at the star-shaped radium stickers on the ceiling. Looking at them I also remembered the talk I had with Mom about Shalini.

"So, she is back," I said to myself and started thinking about her. I still remember her like it was yesterday.

I met her when I was 11 years old. I was new in the town and was playing in the garden near our home. My sister was at home to play with her new friends so I was alone today.
As I was going towards the slide a boy pushed me. (I was very frail when I was a child.) "Hey watch out Idio...!" I said to him. "What did you just say!" said the other boy.
I then had a good look at him. He was big and older than me.

Me: Sorry! (scared)

I got up from the ground.

Boy: I heard you.

Me: I said sorry...

He punched me in the gut.

Boy: Looks like you need to be taught a lesson!

When he was going to punch me again, I closed my eyes and that's when I heard her voice

Girl: WHAT do you think you are doing!?

I opened my eyes and saw a girl standing before me and the boy.

Boy: You!

Girl: You never change do you.... looks like I need to talk with aunty again.

Boy: Hey if you talk about Mom again...

Girl: What will you do bully me as you do to the other kids. I like to see you try.

She said that while standing in front of him. He was quite scared looking at her.

Girl: Go now!

He went away while giving me a look which I think meant "I'll see you next time."

The girl gave me her hand and said...

help-removebg-preview.png

Girl: You hurt?

Me: No, I am fine and thanks.

I said while having a good look at her. She was the same height as me and had long straight black hair. Her face seemed familiar.

Girl: No problem, by the way, I am Shalini.

Me: OH...hi I am Ankit.

Shalini: I know we are in the same class.

Me: (that's why she seemed familiar.) What were you doing here?

Shalini: I was waiting here for your sister. Do you know where is she?

Me: Her friends came today so she is still at home.

Shalini: Well, she seems busy...Umm, will you play with me?

Me: (With a smile on my face!) WHY NOT!!
.
.
.
.
.
Remembering my memories of her I fell asleep.

~~~~~~AFTER 2 DAYS~~~~~~

--- From the Point of View of Shalini ---

Shalini: Mom are you ready yet, it's already 5:30 PM.

S Mom: Just give me 5 min.

Shalini: Please mom faster.

S Mom: I know you're excited to meet him but calm down...Damn these locks are old!

Ever since I heard that Ankit is coming back today, I was quite excited to meet him. I wanted to surprise Ankit today.

S mom: Done let's go.

Shalini: Finally! let's go.

I said while both of us closed the gate and started walking towards Ankit's house. His house was only 2 blocks away. We arrived here a week ago but were so busy cleaning and setting up the house that we didn't have time to meet anyone.

As we were walking, I realized that it's been more than 5 years since I last saw Ankit and Neha face-to-face. Thinking about Ankit made me nervous.

S mom: What happened now? you were so excited a moment ago and now all of sudden you are quiet.

Shalini: I'm kinda nervous facing him after all this time. I mean last time I talked with him we got into an argument and since then we haven't had any conversation.

S mom: It's been 5 years Shalini he too must have missed you and haven't you heard "Time heals all the wounds."

Shalini: Yeah, you are right I shouldn't think about it much.

I think I last heard about Ankit was through Neha that he is studying B.E in Pune. On the way, I was having so many thoughts like...
Has he changed or is he still the same?
Will he still be angry? What should I say when I first see him?

While these thoughts were coming to my mind, we were near his house. Just then my mom distracted me by saying...

S mom: is that Neha?

Shalini: Where? (Looking left and right.)

S mom: Up there at the balcony of their house.

I saw up there and was kinda surprised.

S mom: Just look at that Hair. I can't even see the ends.

Shalini: Damn just how long is it, I am Jealous. She didn't even tell me that she was growing her hair. (It looked like she was talking with someone over the phone.)

S mom: She must have her reasons still; it looks so pretty.

Shalini: Yeah.

S mom: Well now let's go, you can talk with her there.

We both reached the house and my mom rang the doorbell.

Aunty opened the door.

Shalini: Good Evening Aunty.

Aunty: Good Evening Shalini & Reshma. (Shalini's mom) Come inside both of you.

S mom: Sorry to surprise you like this...I know I should have visited sooner.

Aunty: Don't worry I understand.

As soon I entered the hall...

Aunty: Neha look who is here!

She came out of the kitchen and as soon as she saw me, she hugged me.

Neha: I missed you Shalini!

Shalini: I missed you too Neha di. (di = sis)

I had a quick look at her and I was confused because the girl I saw didn't had her hair in a ponytail and it was way longer so I asked her...

Shalini: Do you have a friend over?

Neha: No why do you ask?

Shalini: I just saw a girl with very long hair on your balcony.

Neha: OH, wait I'll get her here. (Smilingly)

She quickly went and a few minutes later she brought the girl with her.

At first, I didn't recognize him because the hair was covering his face and then I heard a familiar voice...

Ankit: Hi there…Shalini!

MY JAW DROPPED! When I heard this voice. (No way I said to myself.) Then he tucked his hair which was covering his face behind his ears. Then I realized and stood up from my chair and said...

Shalini: OH MY GOD! Ankit IS THAT YOU? (I said that out loud.)

Ankit: Yes. (shyly)

CB02-removebg.png

I still couldn't believe that standing in front of me is Ankit. I looked at my mom and she was shocked too. (She had her hand on her mouth.)

His hair was so long that it not only covered his back but his butt too. It was till his thighs, few more months and it will reach his knees. The length was not the only thing that was great the quality too. His hair looked like the hair we see in shampoo ads.

Neha: Both of you sit down first then you can talk.

I didn't realize that I was still standing and staring at him for more than 2 min.

As I sat down, I watched Ankit shifting his hair to the front as he sat on the chair. (Still surprised seeing the length.)

There was silence in the room. Both I and Mom were so shocked that we had no words until Aunty brought us glasses of water and said...

Aunty: We both had the same expression when we first saw his hair 2 days ago.

~~~~~~30 min Earlier~~~~~~

------Ankit's Point of view------

It was 5 PM I had my evening tea and was in my room watching videos on the Internet on my old computer. I took my hair out of my ponytail to let them down. Just as I was about to play a song, I got a call from my friend from college.

I picked it up...

Ankit: Hello.

College friend: Hi Ankit, did you reach your home?

Me: Yeah. I wanted to surprise them so I left the hostel 2 days before.

College friend: WHAT??

Ankit: Ahh wait a minute.

I closed my computer and went to our balcony.

Ankit: Is the audio better now.

College friend: Yeah. So how did they take the surprise and did they like your hair?

Ankit: They loved it! let me tell you...

balcony.jpeg

I didn't even realize it was half an hour until I saw some familiar faces.

"Wait a minute is that Reshma aunty then the girl on the right must be Shalini." I thought to myself

"OMG, she is here," I said.

College friend: Who is she?

Ankit: It's Shalini I told you about her.

College friend: Yeah, I remember.

Ankit: Looks like they are coming here.

Just then, when I saw aunty looking over here, I instantly turned my back towards them.

Ankit: Thank God...I don't think they recognized me.

College friend: Why are you worrying about something like that?

Ankit: It's been years since we last saw each other and I don't know what she will think of me when she sees me like this.

College friend: OH, don't think about it Ankit, be strong!

I heard the doorbell ring; I quickly went to my room.

Ankit: Hey I will talk with you later.

College friend: I understand, Well all the best.

Ankit: Thanks.

I was having so many thoughts which were making me nervous.
A few minutes later I heard A bang on my door. It was my sister.

Neha: Hey Ankit, come out quickly SHALINI'S HERE!!

When I heard this, I took the brush and quickly adjusted my hair then opened to door.

Neha: She saw you on the balcony but didn't recognize you. Now, let us go down. They are waiting.

Me: Sis, I am a bit nervous.

Neha: Hey don't worry, you look great. I am sure she will be surprised but will never hate you. Let's go she is waiting.

We quickly rushed downstairs and went into the room. A soon as I saw her, in a state of panic I said...

Me: Hi Shalini! (In Panic)
(Because I rushed down the staircase some strands of my hair fell on my face, so I tucked them behind my ears.)

She was so shocked that she stood up from her chair and said...

Shalini: OH MY GOD! ANKIT IS THAT YOU?

She said that so loud that I became quite embarrassed.

Me: Ye...Yes! (I said embarrassingly.)

Then I finally had a good look at Shalini.
Every memory of her came rushing back.
She was wearing a black t-shirt with jeans her hair was tied in a ponytail that reached her waist. She was grown taller too. DAMN! she became so beautiful.

Neha: Both of you sit down first then you can talk.

Then I realized that I was staring at her a bit too much.

I adjusted my hair and sat down. No one spoke for what felt like hours so to break the silence, I turned to Aunty to say "good evening." but she still had that shocked expression. Looking at that no words came out of my mouth.

Finally, Mom came into the room with glasses of water and realized the situation, and said...

Mom: We both had the same expression when we first saw his hair 2 days ago.

From the next chapter onwards this style of dialog will change into paragraph style.

up
83 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is a fun story,

I usually enjoy stories set both in North America and England. This makes a nice change as well. The pictures add a lot too. Looking forward to the next part.