Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 3341

Printer-friendly version
The Weekly Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3341
by Angharad

Copyright© 2021 Angharad

  
023_0.JPG

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.

####

Sometimes being with Trish that I am with a superior being and other times it's like she is a teenager with all the faults inherent that go with it. I reflected upon my own teen years and I suppose I was lucky to stay sane, the pressures to conform were enormous and enforced by a father who knew no better and who seemed to be blinded by his faith, as was my mother.

How anyone can believe in this day and age baffles me but then most people are a bit dumb and seem to need a mental crutch to carry them through, if they only knew that if it gets tough no-one is coming to help them, least of all some omnipotent sky- fairy, and they have the resources they need if they only believe in themselves. We are all more capable than we think and friends and family will normally help.

Are gender-confused people extra strong? I don't know but I suspect not, we are just good actors and good at hiding things, sometimes for many years, like how we feel and what we feel. I know I hid it from my peers in university, but not as well as I thought and some guessed the right answer and some were way off beam. Murray should have referred me to the educational psychology service but didn't because he was convinced I was poof, because in his small world there were only two types of individual; straight and queers. He was very wrong as we now know, there are many types and that refers to sexual orientation and snowballs when you add gender identity to the equation. Even today we have trouble which is ridiculous. In America, it seems half the country wants to kill the other half and because we are so visible, we are an easy target for Republicans, many of whom seem to be Trump clones, and not only talk through their arse, they also think with it or seem to. Why are trans kids such an easy target - because they can't fight back, that's why. Why do generally sane people have a need to carry guns -you tell me, but I shall dismiss you answer because no ordinary person needs one most of the time, if ever. They still have a wild west mentality and may become civilised one day, but I'm not holding my breath.

We are not much better, only it applies to knives, and it seems people stab each other and ask questions later. It's stupid, but so are most young men, and with a knife, they feel safe. They are not, in fact, they are more likely to be stabbed than those of us without a weapon, the same probably applies to guns for a similar reason.

The only times I carry a knife is either when I am going to eat or my good ol' Swiss army knife. I always thought that they were only dangerous to the user, folding on them etc. but is appears you can stab someone with one and suddenly, my penknife becomes an offensive weapon. The rest of us have to suffer because one idiot used one to kill someone. I believe the story was the youth was slashing a man's tyres. He got a bit angry and rushed out with a hammer and the youth stabbed him with a SAK and the man died. Why he was slashing the tyres, I don't know, probably he didn't know, as I believe he was high on drugs or booze, which I keep away from. So, although I am not superior I am less stupid as drug use eventually will lead to one's downfall. Perhaps I should have been a preacher as I do so as seemingly default mode.

Perhaps I am just a parent who wants their children to mature without substances or weapons. I once saw the blood from a stabbing, it was awful, like a bucket of it had been spilt in the street. I later learned some young bloke had killed another who he thought was laughing at him. He wasn't, but the one who did the killing was convinced he was and did for him, the wits and inhibitions lost to booze. Again should we stop selling booze, I doubt it, because large numbers of people seem to need it to function, it's nonsense, as they can do without it, but prefer not to, demonstrating their stupidity, as it gets harder to stop as they progress down the slippery slope to dependency.

Simon still drinks too much and every so often it worries me. Do I have right to stop him? No, I don't but I do have one to say it makes me uncomfortable because it does. I don't drink much and could stop easily, others can't or don't see why they can't have a tipple, a while ago they used to get drunk as a skunk and drive home without seeing they were being stupid, now they wouldn't think of drinking and driving. One day they'll see the light and life will be more boring but safer.

George Monbiot is trying to improve the river Wye, which used to be a major salmon river, but because of the run-off from poultry farms is now eutrophic with phosphate poisoning everything and the lush vegetation is just a bit of algae and viruses, nothing else grows there. Obviously, the answer is to stop more poultry farms, so what do they do bit give permission in Powys for a big processing unit for poultry which will bring extra poultry farms to feed it. The reason being that jobs are worth it. I have news for them we have more vacancies than jobless so they won't be able to fill them, and the poisoning of the rivers is just the start of the poisoning of the system - they'll discover it when there are no more wild salmon, bloody Tories, they'd sell their granny.

The environmental lobby doesn't have the pull of money and never will so until they notice that there is no more wildlife, the people won't act. It's like people complain about air pollution until you tell them to travel by bus, they shut up then, bloody hypocrites. When it comes to doing something themselves only the young seem interested, vested interests will kill off the rest.

I took my misery into the kitchen where David was preparing salmon for the evening meal, I couldn't face him so pretended I had something to do, so I greeted him and disappeared. Farmed salmon causes all sorts of problems in the sea with pollution and pests just some of them, but we have to eat something. It would be better if we got used to main meals of pasta and legumes as they use less land but I don't think they would tolerate it for too long, they like their meat and fish too much. I must speak with David and see what we can do as we have the occasional meat-free day, we'll have to extend that to two or three days a week and meat substitutes are getting better all the time so it is a real prospect for the future and David is so good at making tasty meals, I'm sure he'll relish the challenge he usually does.

I went to my study and shut the door, now I have to work out how to get the rest of the family onboard, do I ask for their cooperation or do I work with David on the quiet? Then there's Tom, can we win him over with vegetable curries, I doubt it and I suppose he will have a point and it will be all that he's tae auld tae change. I may have to prove he isn't and perhaps involve the children in doing so. It's like mounting a campaign only harder.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
143 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I certainly understand the dilemma

Robertlouis's picture

….and these days am pretty much pescatarian. Most of my diet is vegetarian, often vegan, but I do eat a lot of fish and make sure as much as I can that it’s from sustainable sources. As part of my recovery strategy from Long Covid (27 months of continuous misery and counting) I’m also on a gluten free, dairy free and caffeine free diet.

So my diet is healthy but Covid makes me feel like shit all the time. Oh well.

A thought provoking chapter, Ang. Hope you’re bearing up. I’ll drop you a DM soon. Big hugs. xxx

☠️

Falling off a bike

Tom give up his curries, we might as well invest in porcine aviation.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Environmental disasters.

Such disasters seem to be arriving thicker and faster while the indicators seem to be invisible to all but the most aware. As you say Ang, people wont notice until it is too damned late. Farmers are the worst culprits but many of the the subsidies they receive seem almost tailor-made to drive the catastrophe. Thanks and congratulations on continuing to write. I'll catch you soon.
xx

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Cathy, hmm...

Cathy, you have more evidence than most of us for something divine - private conversations with a Goddess, and your Blue Light healing. Oh, and you have not taken Her flowers, or visited Her at Her "last known address", Billie's grave, for what, years now? And never alone, and never without being 'bludgeoned', or when you need favors...

We don't have to !Believe! in some things, we don't have to think they are true ... but acting as if they are can be of benefit anyways.

If you don't like the chicken farms poisoning the rivers and Mother Ocean ... ? That's obvious: stop eating chicken.

Don't like the (GMO) fish and salmon farms polluting, spreading what is it, fish lice, into the Ocean ... ? Don't like the World Ocean being (sc)Raped bare of Life to feed farmed fish ... ? Again, the answer is as plain as the dead fish on your plate.

Don't like the fence-wire to fence-wire croplands raising food, most of it to be wasted feeding so-called "food animals" ... ? And don't like fence-wire to fence-wire croplands leaving no havens for dormice and countless other species ... ?

Don't like badger culls to protect cows from tuberculosis ... ?

Don't like having the risk of BSE re-emerging ... ?

Prefer not to be the one who starts the next COVID ... ?

Want to slow, ever so slightly. Climate Disruption (formerly called global warming) ... ?

Cathy, >>in every case<<, the answer is the same. Stop paying for what you do not want. Stop paying for carrion, teat-suck, and bird butt-droppings (flesh, dairy, eggs) to land on your dining plates.

I bet David would love the challenges, and you'd have lots of stories to tell us of his (mis-)adventures with food prep in "veggies land".

I stopped, for the environment, 14 years ago. Everything else has been a Cool Bonus. You have https://www.vegansociety.com/ much closer to you, than to me (Chicago, USA). On "my side of the pond" we have https://www.pcrm.org/vegankickstart, and all of the https://www.pcrm.org/ site. From Dr Greger ("How Not To Die") we have 2,000+ topic-searchable health videos at https://nutritionfacts.org/.

Sure, you have billions of Pounds in the Bank ... but all three sites are completely free.

Tom - tofu and veggie curries are a perfectly Fine Thing.

Simon: Getting dead things off your plate and out of your life can remove some stress and health worries. Then maybe, you won't need to drink as much and scare your Wife ... Environmentally responsible investing is increasingly A Thing. Individuals and Corporations are dis-vesting from Big Fossil. Your bank needs to know and support these movements.

David: Take up The Veggies Way. Leave off having a Giant Slab-O-Death in the middle of the plate, surrounded by "token" veggies and greens. You really can feed everybody with all veggies. I hope Cathy shares this with you.
---
Strength? We who leave off the killing of animals are going against the oldest religion there is (https://carnism.org/ (*)). It's at least 10,000 years old, three times older than any religion you can name. We are going against centuries of our personal cultural tradition. We are going against two, maybe 5, decades of family tradition and indoctrination. We are going against one of the strongest known social forces: peer pressure. We come to See, and we can not un-See, that our world is drenched in blood ...

And against all of that - family, friends, advertising, every grocery store - we stop killing. And we mostly stay functionally sane. >That< is strength. Most people can't, or they won't, and most never will, stop killing.

(*) I've had the very great good luck to attend Dr Joy's talks, and to have dinner with her.
---
PS: Going to a Whole Foods Plant Based no/low oil (WFPB) diet, or to a proper vegan diet, will start to clean out y/our arteries, reducing chances of stroke, heart attack, high blood pressure, diabetes-II, and more.

Getting off of dairy means we stop screwing with our hormones, we stop messing with our fertility, and reducing our chances of breast, prostate and other cancers.

You have a house full of healthy young Girls and Women. It would be nifty to help them stay healthy? And some are about to bless you with Grandchildren ...

We Are Omnivores

joannebarbarella's picture

I doubt that we will ever be able to move to a totally vegan diet. We need protein. This can be obtained with (for instance) dairy, and I cannot see how eating the occasional egg and drinking milk really upsets the balance of nature.

It is the disposal of our wastes that causes the biggest problem. If we're going to have chickens and fish then we must find ways to contain the crap that goes into the waterways. It is easy to be "pure" and eat only vegetables but they are grown with fertilisers, pest-control chemicals and artificial nutrients which ultimately end up in seas and oceans or in the food-chain. Vegans happily consume these products so actually share in the common guilt.

We are only just coming to grips with the polluting qualities of plastics. It would not cost too much to go back to packaging goods in paper and taking them home in old-fashioned shopping bags rather than the plastic served up in supermarkets. Fifty years ago we would not have dreamed of putting everything in plastic bags but now we can't do without them because it's so convenient. How many people remember when all bottles were made of glass, which is recyclable? That is unless they are wine drinkers.

Let's face it....the main problem is US. We love cheap and convenient and there are far too many of us

Guns in America

are always going to be a problem, Quite simply there are far to many in circulation in the States for any sensible legislation to have a great deal of effect, You would like to think a solution is possible but many so far have tried to date and have made little progress in stopping the senseless random killings, Education obviously helps but it only takes one person with mental health problems to access the far too easily available guns for all the rest of the States and the rest of the world to ask why and how can this still keep happening.

Cathy mentions food and drink .... i guess in some respects i;m lucky alcohol does nothing for me, I don't like the taste of beer/lager and most spirits bore me , Food however is a different matter and whilst i could eat more vegan foods i do tend to find myself wanting to eat things i know vegans cannot touch, I guess the realty is yes i do sympathise with those who choose to go down that path but you would find me taking a detour to a cafe offering a good old fashioned English breakfast.

Kirri

Cathy is off on another rant

Julia Miller's picture

But, I always seem to agree with most of her points. However, there is one thing I will never give up on, and that is eating meat. If we weren't supposed to eat cooked meat, why the heck does it taste so good? Have you tried a veggie burger? Yeck! Tofu has no taste but if you want to eat it, I won't stop you.