The Past Comes Knocking Part 4

Printer-friendly version

The Abbey, St. Ives, Cornwall, England:
Edith walks into her daughter’s restaurant and was immediately seated. She loved coming to her daughter’s restaurant and knew Amelia worked hard to maintain it. Her daughter worked hard to make a name for herself as one of the best restaurants.

Even when Covid hit, Amelia kept her business going and helping her people. She spots Clair walking towards her with a wine glass filled with her favorite wine.

“Amelia said she will be a few minutes, Mrs. Young.” Clair sets the wine glass on the table before Mrs. Young.

“Thank you, Clair.” Edith smiles at the young woman.

A smile appears on Clair’s face as she walks away to tend to some of her customers sitting nearby. She liked Mrs. Young and how she cared about her daughter’s employees. She walks over and sees what her customers want.

After a couple of minutes, Amelia manages to leave the kitchen. Her line chef could handle everything while she talked with her mother. A smile forms on her face as she spots her mother sitting at her favorite table.

Edith spots her daughter walking over to her and smiles. She couldn’t believe how successful Amelia had become.

“Hi, mom.” Amelia hugs her mother.

Edith hugs Amelia back. She looks at her daughter as she releases her “What is on your mind, sweetie?”

Amelia sits next to her mother and looks at her. She pulls her cell phone out and looks through the pictures she had managed to capture from the web. She looks at her mother “Mom, do I have a twin sister?”

Edith looks confused and wonders why Amelia is asking that question. She looks at her daughter and notices she is holding her cell phone “Why do you ask, sweetie?”

“Because my friend Charlie found a woman on the web that looks identical to me.” Amelia shows the picture to her mother.

Edith takes Amelia’s cell phone and looks at the image. After a few seconds, she looks at Amelia and back at the image. Aylin couldn’t be alive.
She had learned that Aylin committed suicide when she was just eight years old in the mental hospital she had been sent to.

According to what she heard. Aylin had slit her wrist and bled to death. Her father even had a funeral for her. She wasn’t there, but the dead girl in the casket looked like Aylin.

Amelia has been watching her mother and notices several different emotions cross her mother’s face. She loved her mother and had been told that her birth mother had put her up for adoption because of her father’s plan to kill her.

“So, it’s true, Mother. I do have a twin.” Amelia wonders why this had been hidden from her.

Edith looks at her daughter “We all thought she had died from suicide. Your birth father put your twin in a mental hospital. According to what I heard, your sister had caused your birth mother to fall down a flight of stairs, killing her in the process.”

“And they put my twin in a mental hospital for that?” Amelia looked skeptical.

“Your birth father said your twin suffered from mental problems.” Edith had heard that Amelia’s father was spreading rumors that Aylin had gone crazy.

“Why did my parents keep my twin sister and not me?” Amelia wanted to know why she was sent away.

“It was for your safety, Amelia. Your birth mother knew your father was going to kill one of you. He thought your mother was going to have a son and a daughter. So, your mother asked me to take you, raise you as my daughter, and keep your twin. I told your father that the other twin died at birth.”

“So, what happened to my birth father?” Amelia was curious about that.

“According to a newspaper article. A criminal known as the Mad Hatter broke into the mansion where you were born and killed him. You have a half-brother as well. Your birth father got remarried after the death of your twin and your birth mother.” Edith wasn’t going to hide anything from her daughter.

“So, it seems my twin didn’t die but somehow escaped the mental facilities.” Amelia looks at the picture of the woman.

“It would appear so.” Edith couldn’t believe that the woman she was looking at was Aylin Christian Green. Everyone thought she had died.

“You said my birth father remarried after my sister and birth mother died. Do you know who my half-brother is?” Amelia was curious.

“Unfortunately, I don’t, dear. I wanted to keep you safe. If your father knew you survived, he might have come after you.” Edith didn’t know why Amelia’s birth father hated girls so much.

“Why would my birth father come after me?”

“I don’t know, sweetie. I know I promised your birth mother I would keep you safe. Your birth father was abusive towards your mother in private but nice to her in public. I know he wanted her family fortune because he squandered his family fortune.”

“Did he ever get my mother’s family fortune?” Amelia wanted to know if her bastard of a father managed to get his greedy hands on it.

“No, your mother ensured that only you girls could get it. Since Aylin was classified as dead, her share went to you.” Edith used a little of it to help Amelia to build her restaurant.

“And my birth father never realized this?”

“No, as far as he was concerned. Your mother donated the money to a private fund that your father couldn’t touch unless he had her signature, but because he killed her off. There was nothing he could do. He got the mansion and the grounds but not the money or family antiques. Those are yours.”

“I know this question is a little jealous of me, but why did my mom keep my sister instead of me?” Amelia was curious about that.

“Your sister was born five minutes before you. So, your mother decided to keep her, but she did hold you when we switched you for your sister for a little while. Even your father didn’t realize we switched you two. Your mother loved you very much and always called me about you.”

Sara walks over to Amelia. They needed her in the kitchen for a second.

“Amelia, we need you in the kitchen.” Sara looks at her boss.

“All right, Sara.” Amelia looks at her mother.

“Go, sweetie. When you can, I’ll try the day’s special.” Edith loved her daughter’s cooking.

“I’ll send it out right away, mom.” Amelia gets up and follows Sara back to the kitchen.

up
129 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I wonder....

Samantha Heart's picture

What will Amela say when she finds out that Arlin WAS the "Mad Hatter" that killed her father & why & how she excaped the mental institution.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.