Holly Potter - Heiress of Slytherin Chapter 36

Printer-friendly version

The sun was just about to set when we arrived at Hagid’s hut. “There you two are. I was about ta send the search party out looking fer ya!” Hagrid said, already holding several lanterns in one hand and a very large crossbow in the other. “But since you showed up on time you can help search instead of being searched for.”

My fellow students were all hidden behind his very large frame, so it wasn't until he started handing a lantern to each of us that I saw the entirety of our group. Hermione was expected, but I was surprised to see Draco here. Ron Weasley was here as well, so I could only assume the two of them finally had an altercation that warranted punishment.

“Let's see. I guess Susan, you can come with me. Holly and Draco, you go to my left and that leaves Hermione and Ron on my right.”

“Um. Mr. Hagrid?” Hermione asked.

“Oh, just Hagrid is fine. No need fer formalities.”

“Okay, Hagrid, what exactly are we looking for?”

“Right! We're going into the forest ta look fer unicorns. There have been a few with pretty severe injuries lately, so if you see one injured just give a holler and I'll come an’ take a look.”

“But it's night time! We can't go into the Forbidden Forest! It's forbidden!” Ron said quite loudly and nervously.

“Bloody hell Weasley. Get over it.” Draco said with more disdain than normal. Yep, something definitely happened between them. I'll have to get the story once we separate into our groups.

“Everything will be fine, Ron. Just don't go wanderin’ off too far. There is a small clearing nearby where they tend ta gather, only a couple hundred meters in at most. Everyone got their lanterns?” He paused momentarily to make sure there weren't any more questions or comments. “Right then! Off we go. Stay with me and I'll let you know when to spread out.”

We made our way through the woods at a moderate pace, too fast to actually be looking for anything. Hagrid of course was leading, followed by Ron, then Hermione, then me and Susan, and Draco taking up the rear. We had only been walking for about five minutes when Hagrid stopped and squatted down. I was too far back to tell what was happening, but it looked like he had found something.

“Eww. What is that?” Hermione asked.

“Unicorn blood.” Hagrid said with a mix of sorrow and anger. He stood up and turned to face us as we had already gathered around him. I saw a silver liquid glistening in the light of our lanterns coating his fingers. “It is a fowl thing to kill a unicorn, it is.”

“But how do you know someone killed it?” Susan asked.

“And where is it? Could it have just been injured?” I asked.

“Aye. That's what we're here ta find out.” Answered Hagrid.

“And who or what could have injured it? Don't they only appear to those who are pure of heart?” Hermione asked.

“Then Malfoy will be certain to scare them away.” Ron interjected.

“Shut it, you bloody git.” Draco retorted.

“Alright, children, that's enough of that now. Attitudes like that are why yer both in detention tonight.” Hagrid put a quick end to their exchange. “And that's not exactly true, Hermione. But they do have an uncanny ability to avoid those that would mean them harm.” hagrid took a brief pause before continuing. “Right! So there's a clearing straight ahead, about 100 meters further on.” Hagrid pointed in the direction we had been walking. “Holly and Draco, you two head off that way.” He pointed off towards the left. “Hermione and Ron, you two head off that way.” He pointed them to the right. “And Susan, you can stay with me. Everyone stay alert, and give a holler if you see anything or if you need me.”

Our three groups started off in our respective directions. After I was sure we were out of ear shot I stopped and turned to Draco. “So! What happened between you and Weasley?”

Draco chuckled as we resumed walking. “I told him my dad just bought the latest Nimbus 2001’s for the entire Slytherin team and even if he tries out for the team next year there is no way Gryffindor stands a chance at winning the quidditch cup.”

“You really should stop provoking him. But how did that get you detention?”

“But it's fun.” I rolled my eyes at him. “And it didn't. He got mad and tried jinxing me with a slug vomiting spell, but he missed and hit Longbottom.” He was laughing slightly as he recalled the events.

I couldn't help but laugh a bit at that myself. “Ewww.” I said with an involuntary shiver. “That is one jinx I can go my whole life without experiencing.”

“It's not as bad as it seems.”

“Sounds like personal experience.”

“Yeah… It was a few years ago. After a pro quidditch game. I got one of the beater’s bats in exchange for him casting the jinx on me. I think I still have it.”

I rolled my eyes again. “Sooo not worth it.”

Draco just shrugged his shoulders.

“That still doesn't explain how you ended up with detention tonight.”

“McGonagall wanted to teach me a lesson about instigating violence or something like that. And on the topic of what happened, what happened to you Friday? Nobody will say anything.”

“I'm not entirely sure. Pomfrey put me to sleep for most of the time I was there. But there was a healer from St. Mongo's that came and evaluated me, so I was told…” My attention was drawn to a rustling sound up ahead and I stopped walking. “Do you hear that?”

“It's probably just Hagrid and Susan.”

“Hello? Hagrid? Susan?” I called out to the darkness ahead. “Something is very wrong. It's too quiet.” I pulled out my wand and took a guarded stance.

“What do you mean ‘too quiet’?”

“I didn't notice it because we were talking. But there's no ambient forest noise. Lumos!” I focused the light into more of a beam and scanned the surrounding area.

Draco pulled out his wand as well. “I don't like this.”

“Shhh.” My light passed over it at first but we both saw it. There was a dark figure hunched over something on the ground. I immediately moved the light back to the spot but it was gone, but we saw what it had been concealing. A unicorn lay still on the ground, its blood, glistening in the light, was smeared all over its side.

A twig snapped to my left. I spun around and the light barely caught a glimpse of a black, tattered cloak. Rustling from behind me. I spun around. “Stupify!” My spell seemed to pass right through it, and it was flying straight at us. It impacted with Draco and sent him flying back several feet. “Carpe retractum!” I saw the cord of light wrap around its foot, but when I went to pull, nothing was there.

I didn't hear it this time, I felt it, with every fiber of my being, and it was close. I spun around once more. “Depuls…” I've never been hit so hard. Time seemed to slow. I felt the weight of the lantern leave my left hand. I felt my wand roll off the tips of my fingers of my right hand. I felt my hair tickle my ears and my cheeks and my robe wrap around me like I was standing in a strong wind.

I knew the solid impact with the ground would be coming, but it was still unexpected. It knocked what little wind was left in my lungs out of me. It was quickly on top of me, pinning me to the ground, its solid weight on my stomach and its hands on my shoulders. Its face was mere inches from mine, but I couldn't see it. All I could make out were the eyes, eyes that were glowing green. I opened my mouth to take in air and do the only thing left to do, which was scream as loud as I could. But the moment I opened my mouth it spit something into it. It was a viscous liquid and it tasted metallic.

I was in the middle of sucking in air when this… vile creature violated my mouth, so my body had no choice but to swallow most of what it had spit out. “You're welcome.” Its voice was both a whisper in my ears and an echoing shout inside my head. “You must tell no one of this. It had to be done this way. You will understand in time.” I was kicking and flailing and coughing and crying. “Lyra.”

That last word he spoke. That name. I closed my eyes and swallowed hard. I took a breath and felt a tranquility wash over me. I opened my eyes and he was gone. I heard Susan calling my name in the distance. I heard Draco’s name being called as well. I rolled over onto my stomach and pushed myself up to my feet and brushed myself off. I walked to where my lantern lay on the ground and found my wand.

Draco let out a moan and a cough. “That hurt.”

“You okay?”

“I'll be fine. Feels like I just got hit by a bludger.” I was about to walk over to him to help him up but he was already getting on his feet.

“Holly!” I was nearly tackled for a second time tonight as I was embraced in a hug by a slightly shorter than me redhead. “Why didn't you answer us?” She asked.

“It was all over so quick.” I responded

“Oh I'm glad you two are okay. I was worried there fer a moment.” Hagrid said as he joined us, with Hermione and Ron right behind him. “What was over so quick?” He asked

“We were nearly killed! You can bet my father will hear about this!” Draco said, throwing another one of his ‘I hate almost all the teachers and anyone Gryffindor’ tantrums. It really is his one bad quality. I hope he can learn how to relax and handle issues with a little more tact, then he'll be a real threat to his enemies.

“We were not almost killed. Just knocked over by whoever or whatever that was.” I clarified. “I hit it with a stunner and a retractum, I know I did, but they went right through it. It slammed into Draco first and then me.”

“What was it doing?” Hermione asked. “Before it attacked you?”

“That.” Draco said, pointing at the slain beast. It was about 50 meters away, too far for everyone to have noticed yet.

“Oh dear, oh dear. I was afraid of this. Let's get ya all back to the castle. Holly, I'm gonna need ya to talk ta Professor Dumbledore about what happened.”

We made our way back to Hagrid's hut to drop off the equipment. As soon as we had cleared the forest Hagrid dismissed Susan and Draco so they could get back to the dorms before curfew. Susan gave me a hug before she ran off, saying she'd see me tomorrow at breakfast. We would be passing the Gryffindor common room on our way to the headmaster's office so Hermione and Ron stayed with us to put everything away.

“Um Hagrid? We need to use the restroom.” Hermione said as soon as we were in the castle, and stepped in front of me.

“Okay. Off ya go. We'll wait right here for ya.”

Hermione nearly yanked my arm out of its socket as she literally pulled me into the restroom. “Colloportus!” She said, pointing her wand at the door as soon as it closed.

“Okay, okay! What's going on?” I asked, rubbing my shoulder.

“You might want to look in the mirror.”

The changes were subtle. My skin was a shade lighter, my hair, while disheveled, now had more of a healthy shine and was a bit darker in color. Most noticeable were my eyes. They weren't quite violet, but they weren't brown either. The last thing we're my lips, they looked more plump with a more defined cupid's bow. Speaking of lips, there was just a hint of silver in the corner of my mouth. Better get rid of that.

“Hermione? Do you know any spells to change eye color?”

“Fortunately for you, yes.” She walked over to me holding her wand up to my face. “Ocular colovaria.”

I was momentarily blinded by a bright red light. “Ooo, that stings a bit.”

“Sorry. I've never actually cast that one before.”

“It's fine. It was just like looking into a very bright light.”

“I remembered what you told me before detention. I don't think Dumbledore will notice the other changes. They're quite subtle. I didn't even notice until we were in decent lighting.”

“Yeah, but you noticed like the literal second we walked in the castle.”

Hermione was blushing. Does she like me? Like like me, like me? “Umm. We'd better get going. Everyone is waiting on us.” She said sheepishly.

Now I was starting to blush. “Well thank you.” I said and started walking towards the door. As I passed her I leaned in and whispered “For everything.” and kissed her cheek, letting my lips linger there much longer than a friend normally would before continuing on. I heard her take a shuttering inhale before I removed my lips from her cheek. “Alohomora.” I do wish I could see the exact shade of red she must have turned, but sometimes things are better left a mystery.

up
31 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Woo hoo. Another chapter.

WillowD's picture

Thank you. This one was a particularly exciting chapter.

Thank you! I had been looking

Thank you! I had been looking forward to the unicorn scene since I started writing. I hope you felt Holly's (Lyra 's) suspense.