Holly Potter - Heiress of Slytherin Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version

Dinner was insane. More food than I thought possible filled the tables, from hot dogs to prime steak and everything in between, which was a very good thing since the only food on the train was a sandwich and some snacks, and that was at least five or six hours ago. I should've known there would be dessert, made me wish I saved some room. I still couldn't help but grab a slice of peach pie, but I was unable to finish it. Once the tables were cleared, Professor Dumbledore released us to our house prefects, and the entire student body left for our respective common rooms. A girl named Gemma took charge of us "baby snakes" as she called us first year Slytherins, and led us to our common room in the dungeons. She led us to a dead end in the corridor and, taking a look around, told us that our common room has a password, and it changes periodically. She also said that ours is special, and our door will respond to parseltongue. Also, it is rumored that all of the snakes in Hogwarts will come alive and respond to parseltongue, but that has never been confirmed and the last parselmouth to attend Hogwarts was he-who-shall-not-be-named. She spoke the password "copperhead" and the wall moved away allowing us access.

The common room was beautiful. The lights were all green, as was the fire in the fireplace. Windows floor to ceiling covered one side of the room, that right now we're pitch black, but show an underwater view of the lake (thank you Hogwarts: A History for that bit of knowledge). All of the couches and chairs were black or burgundy leather, all of the wood mahogany. After giving us a moment to take everything in, Gemma told us that "Professor Snape wants a word with all of you, so stay put, then I'll show you to your rooms."

It was about ten minutes before Professor Snape walked in. His face showing a constant sense of contempt. "Welcome to Slytherin house. While you may be individuals in here, our there," with a nod of his head, he motioned to the door to the rest of the castle, "you will present as a united front. Slytherins are looked down on by some of the other houses. The Gryffindors especially will try to provoke you. They are quick to rush into things, but you are cunning. Use that cunning to your advantage. If you have a problem with your housemates, solve it amongst yourselves. If you break the rules, you will be punished. So if you must break the rules make sure you are not caught. But if you are caught, it better be me that catches you. We have won the house cup the last six years in a row. Do NOT be the reason we do not win it again." With that said, he left just as quickly as he had come in.

Gemma took over again and led us to our rooms, and then left us to ourselves. The girls room was one large circular alcove with three individual rooms within. Each of our names was already on a nameplate on each door, so there wasn't any fighting about who got what room, or who we would be sharing rooms with. We were listed alphabetically.  Milicent Bulstrode and Tracey Davis in the room on the left, Daphne Greengrass and Lia Moon in the middle, and that left Pansy Parkinson and myself in the room on the right. We all entered our respective rooms, and it seems that I was more surprised at what we were provided with than Pansy. And I could swear there is a lot more space than one would think. We each have a queen-size four post canopy bed with thick curtains for privacy, an armoire, a dresser, a vanity, and a night stand. Each room has its own bathroom. Oh, how I wish we had a tub instead of just a shower, but with that being my only complaint, I'm really happy with everything so far. Pansy and I chatted for a bit while putting our things away, but soon enough it was curfew and after the long day, we both wanted to get to sleep.

The next week wasn't so much busy, as more time filled. Not only did we have our classes but we were herded around 'so the little snakes don't get lost', which I admit was very helpful, as Hogwarts has a lot of ways to get lost. Between a seemingly endless number of corridors and unused rooms, we also have to contend with both moving AND vanishing staircases, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. 

Monday was Transfiguration with Professor McGonagall, the History of Magic with Professor Binns. McGonagall, while stern, was able to keep us entertained. Binns on the other hand, droned on about goblin wars and I think the entire class at some point or another fell asleep. The fact that he is a ghost makes me wonder if it's actually possible to bore someone to death. If it is, how much harder would it be to bore yourself to death? I tried to read through the book on my own, but his droning made it too difficult to concentrate.

Tuesday we had charms with Professor Flitwick which I really enjoyed. I'm not sure what it is, but I have the feeling there is more to the man than just an entertaining teacher. Herology on the other hand was tedious. Professor Sprout is cheerful enough, but the subject matter just doesn't appeal to me. Maybe having to pull weeds bare handed so many times at the Dursley's left a bad impression on anything close to gardening.

All of our classes have been with the Gryffindors, so I haven't had much of a chance to get to talk to my friends other than a few minutes between meals. Other than some snide comments from a few students, primarily an annoying redhead, and he usually targets Draco for some reason, I haven't had any problems with any of the students. So it came as a surprise that my first "altercation" if you will, came from a fellow snake.

After dinner I was walking into the common room with Pansy, Draco was already there talking with Crabbe and Goyle, his lackeys from day one, and said "I don't know how they let a half blood in our house. She should have gone to Gryffindor like her blood traitor father." The three of them started laughing. Pansy was furious and it looked like she was about to say something in my defense, but I put my arm in front of her to stop her.

Draco looked over at us and said through his laughter "What's the matter Potter? Can't fight your own battles?" Which had the three of them laughing even more. By this point Draco had gotten the attention of all of the students in the common room.

"Leave her alone Draco!" Pansy shouted. 

"What, the half blood raised by muggles can't talk for herself?" Draco said as he walked towards us, wand now in hand.

Now was the perfect time for me to put legend to the test. Quite loudly a yelled to the various snake statues littered around the common room "Grab them." 

As soon as I said that, every snake statue in the common room broke free from where it had been and moved to subdue the three boys. Before anyone could react, Draco had the largest of the snakes coiled around him staring him in the eyes, and Crabbe and Goyle were pinned to the floor. Needless to say, everyone was speechless including Malfoy. I sauntered up to him and pet the snake on the head. My focus stayed on the snake as I said to Malfoy, "As you can see Malfoy, I don't need my wand to beat you. I was meant to be here. Maybe more so than you. So we can either be friends, or..." turning my gaze to him I continued, "we can be enemies."

In parseltounge I said "Squeeze." And Malfoy let out a yelp as the snake squeezed him tighter. 

"I yield!" He said just loud enough for me to hear due to the compression on his chest.

"Release them and go back to sleep. All of you." I spoke in parseltounge. As the snakes withdrew back to their "homes" Malfoy slumped to his knees. Walking to the stairs to my room I shouted back to him without looking back "Remember this feeling Draco. A little humility in front of your betters will serve you well." I knew I was provoking him, fully aware of the pureblood view of half-bloods. I slid my hand into my pocket and gripped my wand. I heard the word I was ready (and hoping) to hear, Stupefy!

I whipped around, drawing my wand "Protego Duo" as the spell was cast back to Draco. Caught off guard, he went flying backwards. Crabbe and Goyle had their wands drawn as well, but with Draco hit by his own spell had them looking at him flying backwards instead of at me.

Three quick flicks of my wrist and the word "Expelliarmus!" had all three of their wands lying at my feet before Draco even hit the ground. I might have overdone it with the Protego Duo spell, as I was now feeling drained, and in sudden need of sleep. The basic Protego would have been sufficient, but I wanted to prove a point, and I think I did that nicely. Without saying another word I walked up to my room. Silence filled the common room save one set of footsteps running after me. From the sound of shoes on the stone floor, I knew it was one of the girls and figured it was Pansey, which it was. 

"That was amazing! First the snakes, then the shield! I've never seen anything like that!" Pansy said when she caught up to me. I turned to her with a smile and saw a puzzled look on her face. "What happened to your eyes?"

"What do you mean, what happened?" I asked now just as confused as she was. She grabbed my hand and pulled me to my vanity mirror. Looking back at me were violet eyes.

"I think they're beautiful. Very unique." She said, resting her chin on my shoulder.

"I don't know, but they've done this once before and I thought I was going crazy." 

"Well, you're no crazier than me then." She paused, her face and inflection taking a tone of mock concern. "One thing's for sure though, you might have made an enemy today, and it hasn't even been a week. At this rate, you'll be by yourself against the entire school before the year is out." I love that little sly grin of hers when she's teasing people.

"Ha, ha. Now if you'll excuse me I'm a little tired and I think I'm going to lie down for the night."

"Ok. See you in the morning then."

I got undressed and snuggled up under my blanket, falling asleep with happy thoughts.

up
116 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another chapter!

Yay, another chapter! Thank you for sharing. Im definitely curious about the violet eye situation and the eventual reveal of her true parentage but Holly being slytherin is definitely interesting!

Glad you enjoy

All will be revealed in time. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Take your time!

You've definitely got an interesting story here. Your writing keeps getting better and better as well. I'd rather see you put out a story you're happy with than a rushed one.

Seriously giggling right now

WillowD's picture

This is an AWESOME chapter. Thank you for writing it.

And she definitely spent a lot more time studying than Harry did in his early years.

As excited as Harry was in

As excited as Harry was in finding out he's a wizard, he doesn't really do anything with it in the first movie (at least what we saw anyways), and that really bothered me. If I were him I'd be learning all I could and use it often.

Studying magic

WillowD's picture

I guess you and I are a lot more like Hermionie than Harry when it comes to studying things. We like to study for the sheer thrill of figuring out how things work. But I can see why Harry was not interested in studying. He spent his first 10 years being severely mentally abused, including being kept fairly isolated from people and ideas. And then, when he went to Hogwarts his best friend hated studying. Not to mention that there were all sorts of new things to distract him.

I would love to have had Hermionie as a best friend.

Not surprised!

She studied more than Harry? Well, after all, she's a girl.

My, . My, . . !! Yours' is a gift !!

. . . . so glad you've finally shared it with us. [ more gad that I finally tasted of the good ! ] jjc

johncorc1

:)

:)