Holly Potter - Heiress of Slytherin Chapter 24

Printer-friendly version

"In all my years of teaching I have never seen such havoc caused by a single action. I don't think that a simple detention does justice to the crime." Minerva McGonagall was clearly agitated at the seeming lack of care shown by her colleagues for the event that transpired mere hours ago.

"And what would you suggest then, expulsion?" Filius Flitwick asked. There was a moment of silence as everyone took in the words of the up til that point silent professor.

"I think expulsion is out of the question. After all, save a few bumps and bruises, no one was injured. And Pomona, didn't you tell me that the mandrake root that was used was one of the youngest of the stock?" Albus Dumbledore kept his emotions in check, which was difficult for him even with his years of occlumency practice, both as a Gryffindor himself and as the person overall in charge of the student's safety.

"That is correct." Answered Pomona Sprout.

"Then that would show that the perpetrator meant no actual ill will towards any of their fellow students." Albus said plainly.

"Or that they just got lucky." Minerva said, still quite heatedly.

"The fact that this prank was pulled off at all shows that the culprit or culprits were meticulous in their planning. I would wager that they knew exactly which mandrake root to take." Severus always enjoyed getting under the skin of the Gryffindor head of house. Somewhere in the deepest reaches of his subconscious he still wants to get revenge for how he was treated by his Gryffindor classmates all those years ago, and being able to further rile Minerva did just that.

"Academic probation and forfeiture of Hogsmeade trips, in addition to detention should be enough of a punishment, I would think. Now, I would like from each of you a short list of students to start looking into. If nothing turns up, we can widen our nets, so to speak." Albus nodded to Minerva for her to start.

"Fred and George Weasley. As you all know, they both consider themselves pranksters. It is obvious that the first year boys dorm was the actual target for the prank, and I wouldn't put it past them to have targeted their youngest brother. However, I do not see them spending the money required for the invisible rope or sheet."

Albus nodded to Pomona next. "Nymphadora Tonks, Susan Bones, and Hannah Abbott. It's easy for Nymphadora to get a bit carried away at times, let's not forget the incident with the Venomous Tentacula, and she does have a propensity for mischief. As for Susan and Hannah, I don't think they were directly involved, but they have both been very secretive lately."

Filius took his turn without prompt from Albus. "I don't think it was any of my Ravens, but if you need me to provide possible names, then Cho Chang, and Roger Davies."

All eyes moved to Severus. There was a brief pause as he thought over one more time who in Slytherin could have planned this, and still only one name came to mind. "Potter."

__________________________________

Breakfast was delivered to the common rooms, where we were confined. I took the time to read what would have been covered in potions class, as I doubt Professor Snape will accept 'but classes were cancelled' as an excuse for not knowing the material. It seems that most of my fellow Slytherins took queue from me and soon we were gathered into small study groups.

"I have to say, Holly, you are terrifyingly brilliant, you know that?" Pansy said, taking a seat next to me and opening her potions textbook.

"Why, I have no idea as to what you are implying." I said with an overly dramatic air of sarcasm.

"Oh, I'm sure. Leave it to the girl-who-lived to pull off what I'm sure is the biggest prank Hogwarts has ever seen. Cheers on getting classes cancelled, by the way." Tracy said from across the table. "Just remind me to stay on your good side. So, how long do you think it will take them to figure out it was you?"

"Tomorrow at the latest. I think Professor Snape already suspects me, and I'm sure they'll be able to trace the invisible rope and chameleon cloth back to me. And if you want to stay on my good side, fetch me some more bacon."

Tracy and Pansy were both in a minor state of shock at my demand. I'm sure a life of servitude to me went flying through both of their heads. It was too much for me to keep my composure and I started giggling. Tracy scrunched her face and stuck her tongue out at me. Pansy gave me a little smack on the shoulder.

"The look on your faces was priceless. I'm sorry, I couldn't resist." I said after my giggles stopped. "Today is still the first of April, you know."

"Evil. Terrifyingly brilliant and evil." Pansy said to herself as she started writing notes on what would have been today's lesson.

_________________________________

It was just prior to lunch when Professor Snape returned to address us. "One of you failed to cover your tracks. Miss Potter, report to the headmaster's office, the rest of you are no longer on lockdown."

There was an applause and a few cheers as I stood up and walked towards Professor Snape. When I approached him I turned to address my fellow Slytherins and said, "Sorry, everyone for the points I'm about to lose us. I hope you all agree it was worth it." I gave a deep curtsey and turned around and started my walk to my date, leaving behind a larger applause and some laughs. It seemed that even Professor Snape wanted to applaud my actions as well, as I caught the briefest upturn of the corner of his mouth.

_________________________________

I often forget how quickly news spreads among my fellow students. By the time I was released from receiving my punishment lunch was already well under way. With classes having been cancelled lunch operated much like it does on the weekends where at least half the students wander in at their convenience, usually within thirty minutes of lunch actually being served. I, however, was walking into the Great Hall with only thirty minutes left, so all eyes were on me.

Heading the advice that Professor McGonagall gave me earlier in the year after the Rita Skeeter smear article came out, I decided to own the stage. I sauntered to my place at the Slytherin table and gave a curtsy before taking my seat, which got a few applauses as well as a few jeers.

"So how bad is the damage?" Draco asked me as I sat down across from him.

I started filling my plate as I replied. "Well, we only lost fifty points. I, on the other hand, have five days of detention with each of the house heads and then with Hagrid as well."

"Five days isn't bad. I'd've thought it would be worse." Said Pansy, handing me a glass of juice.

"Each!" I corrected.

"Five days with each of them!?" Draco asked.

I just shrugged and started eating. "It could have been worse, my detention starts when we get back from Easter hols. Professor Flitwick actually fought the hardest for leniency. If it weren't for him I'd have been stuck here over Easter and I'd have started detention tonight."

"Merlin's bloody beard." Draco said. "I would have thought that Professor Snape would have helped out more than that hal.."

"Don't you dare finish that word, Malfoy." I interrupted, giving him a hardened stare. "If you keep up that pure blood shite I'll march straight up to the head table and tell them exactly who my coconspirator was."

Draco gulped, took a moment to gather himself, and continued, "I'd have just thought that Professor Snape would have been more help, is all."

"I failed to do what he told us on day one, which was 'don't get caught'. The fact that I wanted my name attached to this prank aside, I got caught. So I think he left me at the mercy of the others."

It was about the end of lunch when two Gryffindors approached. I was still focusing on eating so I didn't notice, but Pansy did and she lightly kicked my foot and motioned with her eyes. I had been expecting retribution for my prank, and assuming this was it, I moved my hand to my wand and focused my attention behind me, listening for the billowing of robe sleeves and waiting for that slight pull that happens when targeted by a spell. I was ready for anything except what actually happened.

"Miss Holly Potter, we tip our hats to you." "Or at least we would if we were wearing any." Two similar voices alternated between sentences.

Relaxing, I turned around to see a pair of red heads standing before me. "He's Fred." "And he's George." "And we just wanted to congratulate you," "on your most excellent prank. You actually stole the show." We had something planned for breakfast today, but you kinda made it so that didn't happen." "We would be honored if you would consider a partnership with us" "in matters pertaining to pranks and mischief." The twins kept alternating between them like a well rehearsed troupe, making it harder than normal to pay attention to either of them.

"Do you two always complete each other's sentences?"

"Not always." "But usually."

__________________________________

Minerva and Filius watched as the Weasley twins made their way to the Slytherin table, and started talking with Holly. Soon the three of them and a few others were laughing, and the twins both gave Holly a hug before leaving.

"This can't be a good thing." Minerva said to her fellow professor.

"Look at the bright side, at least they haven't declared a war between the houses. Do you honestly think this scene would be playing out had it been any other Slytherin to have pulled that prank?"

Minerva's only response was a sigh.

up
94 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm seriously giggling right now.

WillowD's picture

I am seriously giggling right now. Thanks. That was an awesome prank. And I like the punishment as well. Among other things it may give Holly some serious one-on-one time with the various house heads.

And I love it that Holly has made friends with the Weasley twins. From what I remember this is not the first female Harry fan fiction I've read where Potter makes friends with the Weasley twins and thinks Ron is a twat.

I can promise you that there

I can promise you that there will be at least one interesting conversation while she serves her detention. As for the twins, I'm not sure how much they'll be appearing, but I couldn't have them not acknowledge the prankster. As for Ron being a prat... well there's not too much I can do there. (Sorry to any Ron lovers out there, but the kid was a total prat the first year. I can't forgive him for making Hermione cry their first Halloween.)

Mischief Mismanaged?

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Love that you included Fred and George. Those two are a must in every fanfic. I'm pretty sure if Moody was there, he'd be agreeing with Dumbledore, that the prank was meant to only incapacitate the students, he'd have realized that the Mandrakes were the youngest stock too. Glad they went that route, as well as glad she protected Draco...... I'm liking this version of him, something I didn't expect.

Was she protecting Draco, or

Was she protecting Draco, or was she taking sole credit? Did she 'need' to target the boys dorm, or did she present a target to tempting for Draco to turn down? Did she need any help at all, or did she want a fall guy incase someone was still awake or woke up to pee while infiltrating enemy territory?

Anyways, I'm glad you are pleasantly surprised with how I am writing this.

A shiver runs

Podracer's picture

down Professor McG's spine at that last scene. They would make an awesome creative alliance, Holly and the twins. Interesting and good to read a Potter who isn't a tortured little angel; do carry on please.

"Reach for the sun."

Indeed. I kept thinking of

Indeed. I kept thinking of that famous line from Lethal Weapon "I'm getting to old for this shit." when I was trying to write that final scene. I don't think even I am truly ready for the sort of escapades that the three mischief makers are going to be getting up to.