The Road to Haifa - Chapter 21

Printer-friendly version


The Road to Haifa
Chapter 21 — Sweet Dreams and Nightmares
by Alyssa Plant
 
'Eli looked curiously at her sister. “Why would there be men following you?”
“I...” Sarah began, wondering how much she should tell her sister, or if it was even relevant. “Some people don’t like me, It's a work thing...”'

Chapter 21 — Sweet Dreams and Nightmares

The sun beat down onto the town square casting a glare up from the stone surface polished to almost a mirror finish by the thousands of feet that traversed it daily. Sarah took shelter in the shade provided by a wizened old tree.
She couldn’t begin to wonder where she had gone wrong. Was her mother right? Was she even HER mother? Sarah kicked a dusty pebble away from the base of the tree and sighed. What if everyone was right? She had been born a boy, maybe that was right? What if she was just confused? She had heard the view many times, and her mother’s reaction couldn’t have been more certain.

She knew she was a girl, it was almost certain in her mind. As certain as she needed air, and the wind that blew down from the heights. It was her soul, she felt it. But surely the mad felt as certain as this? The old man down the road from her parents house, that had gone around professing his ability to talk to animals... had he felt as certain of this? That everyone was mad for not believing him?
God, she wished she knew. The uncertainty hurt her more than anything.

“You know, you can’t stay here for the rest of the weekend little one.” Eli called softly from behind. Sarah started suddenly, feeling guilty she had allowed her guard to fall so far.

“Maybe I want to.” She replied quietly, turning to face her sister.

Eliana looked worried. “Ima didn’t mean it Sarah.” She whispered clasping her sisters hand in hers. “Please come back, she’s worried about you... Upset that she hurt you.”

Sarah frowned. “She called me a boy Eli, she pretended to understand.... I... I can’t...” she whispered softly, a tear rolling down her cheek...

Eliana pulled her sister to her as she cried. “Don’t worry baby, you come home with me, I’ll not let them hurt you.” She soothed stroking Sarah’s hair.

Sarah found herself in the driveway of her parents house once more, feeling as apprehensive as the last time. “Cant you just get my stuff and take me back to the station?” she asked quietly, more of herself than Eliana.

“No baby.” She whispered gripping her sister’s slightly shaking hand. “Come on, I’ll look after you, I promise.”

For the second time in as many days, Sarah stood before the door to her house: The chime of the doorbell struck like a knife into her beating heart.

The door opened and Sarah came face to face with her mother once more. “Sarah?” she asked quietly, almost fearfully.

Sarah looked into her eyes. Her mother looked drawn, and tired, weak, she had been crying. “Ima.” Sarah replied quietly looking anywhere but at her mother.

“I’m sorry chid, she murmured cautiously.” Reaching out to touch her daughter’s cheek. “I was wrong.” She whispered, lifting Sarah’s chin. “I couldn’t see you... For my love of you... ah, for him, my son; I could not see you my darling.” She sobbed. “I, I... Please forgive me,” she asked quietly looking into Sarah’s eyes.

The jolt struck Sarah deep within her core; love; a love she had not felt in years. Her mother truly cared for HER. In that one moment, things became so firm, so sure... Sarah knew who she was right then. Smiling through her tears, she hugged her mother.

“I... When I left this morning, I thought you hated me, I thought you believed I was a boy still... that you had lied to me last night. It... It just terrified me, it was rash I’m sorry.

“I got confused.” She admitted. “I was still thinking of you as my boy... my baby boy that had grown up with Ari Weismann as a friend... Not as my daughter who had fallen for charming young man.” Their mother replied.

“I think we ought to start fresh, Sarah’s past won't ever go away, but we do need to let go of David... He was a good brother, and a good Son.” Eliana began. “But in his stead, we have Sarah, a new sister for me, and a new child for you Ima. It’s time we got to know her.” She beamed, hugging her sister.

The next morning , Sarah walked with her sister to the station in town. It felt strangely normal. Taking a cigarette from her bag, she slipped it between her lips and fished for her lighter: Finding it, she lit the cigarette and took a deep drag. As the nicotine rushed to her head, she felt strangely aware that morning. A veil had been lifted from her eyes, the world seemed more colourful.
There was no pretence anymore, no lies, no deception. The people she loved most in the world knew about her, they knew their daughter. And she was happy. Happier than she had been in a long time.

Entering the building, she scanned the board for her train, and the pair made their way up onto the platform.

“I’m going to miss you.” Eli smiled, squeezing her sister’s hand.

Sarah hugged her sister. “Me too...” She began feeling her body tense up. Behind her sister several men were walking, they seemed out of place, and entirely focused on them. Her impromptu hug had caught them off guard and they had not been able to blend into the surroundings in time.

The Four were of Arabic origin, and their drab clothing and rucksacks looked entirely out of place on an early Monday morning. Pretending she hadn’t seen the men, Sarah broke off the hug and took her sister’s hand pulling her onwards.

“What?” Eliana asked twisting her head around the way they had come “What’s wrong?” she asked innocently.

“Nothing, come with me, please.” Sarah urged quietly, hoping the men had not noticed anything.

“What is it Sarah?” Eli asked again, beginning to look worried catching the determined expression on her sister’s face.

“Look, don’t react Eli ok? There are some men following us ... following me ... I think ...”

Eli looked curiously at her sister. “Why would there be men following you?”

“I...” Sarah began, wondering how much she should tell her sister, or if it was even relevant. “Some people don’t like me, its a work thing...” Sarah sighed dragging her sister around a concession stand on the platform towards a departures board.

Looking up, Sarah pretended to search the trains on the computer screen, she watched the reflection of the platform behind her.

The four men were not alone, and were clearly watching her. Sarah’s heart began to beat faster. A switch in her flipped into combat mode. She was unarmed, accompanied by her sister, and outnumbered. The numbers didn’t look good. Her only hope was to run, fast, and get her sister out.

Sarah checked her watch, the train was due in moments, and the men hadn’t made a move yet, she had to assume they were waiting for her to board.

Sarah’s pace quickened as the train pulled in, this was where her hopes hinged. Eliana had been quiet and Sarah gripped her sister’s hand tight. “Come on, I’m not leaving you here.” She whispered.

“I don’t have a ticket.” Mumbled Eliana weakly. Sarah looked at her sister; the vivacious girl was pale and subdued. She had never seen her sister look like that.

“I don’t think that matters, honey.” Sarah muttered half to herself, squeezing her sister’s hand tightly.

The train rolled into the station and came to a halt. In the bustle of boarding and alighting passengers, Sarah pulled her sister with her into the nearest coach. In the sea of human waves, 8 men boarded the 10.25 to Beersheba. All for business, none for pleasure.

Note from author: Sorry guys, Its been a while, and i know that, But i lost my computer, and ive only just got a new one, Consider this a late christmas present, I hope you all like it, Lots more Haifa to come soon, and for a long time!
Alyssa

up
97 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Since When

Since When is
"The Gift That Leaves You Hanging"
a christmas present???
ROFLMAO... good one! Welcome back, I love this story.

Glad to see it again

I was afraid you'd left us hanging.I hate suspense stories that NEVER answer the questions left at the end

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

Great to see The Road to Haifa and it's authoress back

Hope things are better for you now.

Must be a bitch to lose your computer, who'd have thought they would become so important in our lives.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

The Road to Haifa - Chapter 21

It will be most interesting to see what Sarah does about the perceived threat.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

haifa

good to see its back

more
more
more pleaaaaassssseeee

The Road

Alyssa: Are you doing this on a laptop and lost it or did your computer crash and was not recoverable. I know I pickup a bug in mine and had to reload it and lost everything a week ago that I needed now trying to rebuild it and all my ID's and pass words for everything. And haven't been able to get into my bank accounts to transfer or pay bills since I hadn't done backups like I should. Listen learned the hard way. Welcome back with a wonderful story, please keep it coming we enjoy it! Richard

Richard

Tch, tch, tch

That girl is going to have to start carrying a purse-sized pistol. A 9mm would go a long ways towards improving the odds right now, one with a silencer would be even better. But she should have sent her sister off straight away, now she's stuck. Without the sister, 8-1 odds wouldn't be too-o-o bad, as long as these guys aren't "Glory of Allah" types. Hard to fight a bomb in the hands of someone willing to die for their cause.

Hmmm, don't know enough about Israeli trains to know what kind of tools she may have available. Automatic weapons are so messy in a crowd. :-(

KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Pistol?

.45 Auto, or .50 Desert Eagle. :)

Oops, I did it again. Strike that please?

Gwendolyn

Sorry to hear about your

Sorry to hear about your computer. Thank you so much for this new chapter, it is filled will both love, Daughter to Mother, Mother to Daughter, Sister to Sister and then jumps to a dramatic scene of danger for Sarah and Eliana. I pray that both will be okay. Perhaps Sarah is hoping she can find some security personnel on board to assist her.

Great Story... I love suspense!

TiffQ's picture

Alyssa... I was beginning to wonder if the story had ground to a halt. I love it. As some people are discovering, I love suspense. Keep it coming. Glad to see you back.

OXOXOXO

Tiff Q

Tiff Q

Aaarrrgghhh!!

How could you?! We have to wait so long for this episode and then you leave us hanging WAAAAAAAY over a cliff?

Sorry about your computer situation. Congrats on the new one! Anxiously awaiting your next installment!

This is good stuff. Loving it.

Merry Holidays!

Thanks for the present! Hope all's well & looking forward to more!

YW

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Readers' anguish

Robyn B's picture

Hello Alyssa, welcome back.

I like others had thought that you had left us. Which is what you did in a way, but not by choice.

I am glad that we will be able to see a continuation of this story. But you are naughty in leaving us hanging so precipitously so soon after having returned.

I understand the joys of breaking in a new computer and rebuilding an old one after an FDisk hard drive wipe. Not an activity I would like to have to do very often.

Keep the story coming...

:)

Robyn B
Sydney

Robyn B
Sydney

More to Come

terrynaut's picture

I'll hold you to that! :)

I love the intrigue. Naughty men! :p

I'm very glad Sarah made up with her mum. What a nice Christmas pressie. :)

Thanks and please keep up the good work.

- Terry

Glad to see you back

This story has been a wonderful read with its mix of TG and spy issues. I always look forward to more installments.

better late than never

laika's picture

glad i found this. without regular access to internet these days i go alphabetically down favorite authors to see if there's anything since my last perusal of BCTS. Situation getting dicey again for our heroine (and her sis) but I'm really relieved that Mom really does understands her horrendous error of two chapters back. Good parents at heart. Glad u got another computer, I know the feeling. Hope to see the next chapter here soon!
~~~hugs, LAika

Wow, I love this story.

Wow, I love this story. Sarah is so brave, even though she doesn't know it, standing up and doing things that scare her, because they're the right thing to do. I hope we see a new instalment soon.