Boys' School - Chapter 9 Finale

Printer-friendly version

Boy_s_Graphic.png

Finale

 
 
 

     With the dance at seven, and my own appointment scheduled tactically at four-thirty, everyone else was just too busy to worry very much about what I was doing. I spent the early afternoon in the tub trying to relax, and trying some of the other little bottles that I'd found in the bags that I'd brought home from various places. They smelled nice, but from what I could tell, most just made the tub really slippery.

By the time I started to leave at three, none of the ladies in the office were any more interested in checking me out than they had been the day before, so with a call I was able to walk out the side door, and directly to the bus. No one else seemed to notice, and this time of year, it would be dark well before I got back.

I still breathed relief as the bus pulled away.

 
 
 
 

"Chris, have a seat." Rachel said. Jessie was there, but she was ‘dealing with’ a girl about my age. It was several minutes before she came over to take me from the magazine I'd just opened.

"The rumpus room, Chris." She said pointing, and once there she gestured to the seat. "Do you know the real difference between you and the girls at Saint Mary's, Chris?"

I could only shake my head.

"You are much nicer." She said flatly, running her fingers through my hair. "Ok, where is the hat?"

"Ma'am?" The hat had been in my pocket since I sat down on the bus.

"Good job not getting beat up. I told you not to, and you didn't, but I want the hat." She held out her hand.

"I'm sorry, I thought…"

"Hat!"

I hurriedly pulled the knit cap out of my pocket.

She took it and threw it into a drawer.

"Good thinking," she said. "You can have it back at the end of the semester."

She ran her fingers through the cut again. "It came out really good, if I do say so myself. I love the color. Thank god you came in yesterday, 'cause now this will be so much easier. Now, watch what I do."

Watching was a waste of time. I had no earthly idea what she did, but once it was styled it really looked very nice. Much like the girl in the picture, and perhaps even just a little better than I'd hoped.

I was admiring it when I noticed the girl from the cosmetics counter at the mall, Donna, watching from the curtain. "Pretty." She said, and pushed in a little cart.

Jessie said, "I believe you've met. Donna, this is Chris. Fortunately he's really easy to work with, because at least three of the last four girls have changed their minds and want your help."

"Jess, I have to go to the store. I can't do three. They'll have to come there, and there is no time left."

"I know. Don't worry about it. I'll pick one…" Jessie said, and was gone.

Donna moved to look at me.

"Donna, if I said anything the other night…" I felt I should try to explain, but I had no idea how exactly, so I shrugged a little and tried at least to look apologetic.

"What do you mean?" She asked, looking between me and her cart, more to look at the colors and things she'd need, than to really consider anything I said.

"Well I just thought you were not happy with me." I finished weakly.

If she even frowned slightly, it wasn't enough for me to see. "Chris, I thought you were great. You looked at one or two things, and then bought just about one of each type you had me pull out. I can see you even listened to what I had to say. You may be the best customer I ever had."

"I didn't want you to think I was rude." I said, as she lifted my chin.

"We were probably rude to you, me because I was tired.” She told me, still not paying much attention to what I said. “Did you do this?" She asked, and I nodded. "It's better than it was when you came into the store."

"I've been practicing." I didn't feel like telling her that Miss Lynn had done the makeup that first night, and that I’d been too nervous to sit still for her.

"It's better. That first night the colors were off, and it looked like you rushed. Hold still…"

She never smiled until the very end when she stepped back to watch my face as I turned back to the mirror and stared... and stared.

 
 

Boy_s_zip.png

 
 

     I was watching out the partially closed blinds of my window. The lights were shining brightly in the center of the Crystal Hall, with the lights around the walls dimmed. Even so, it reflected on the frost along the ground, looking like glowing silver and gold paths through the trees, leading in every direction.

The kids were filing in, and there were several buses sitting in the long drive adjacent to the reception hall.

It was time.

I was ready. I had been for over half an hour. Little touches of makeup fixes with what I’d bought off the cart to thank Donna were all I felt I needed. I didn’t really need those, because I’d been feeling mostly calm and only a little nervy.

At least five people had seen me outside, but none had been close enough to see me well enough.

I turned and began to release the dress from it's hanger.

Tucked inside, I found a wrap that Anna must have slipped in. It was very sweet of them, but it proved to me how much my hands were shaking as I loosened it from where it had hung inside the dress.

I lifted the dress high, and let it fall quickly to the floor to spread the skirt as much as possible before stepping in, but then the realization hit me that I might not be able to manage the restroom so well in the dress, so I had to do it over again, after a visit and a last spray of perfume in the bathroom.

The gown was much harder to pull up than it had been to drop over my head, and that was only barely possible if I pulled the zipper all the way to the very bottom, but I was too afraid I'd mess myself up, so I struggled, and finally the dress slipped up.

Reaching around behind myself, I felt for the zipper and tugged, only to have it move about an inch and stop. I tried again, and then again, but it was no use. I carefully slid the dress down, and turned to look at it. Using both hands, I was able to hold the sides of the dress together, and with a few tugs the zipper slid to the top.

I lowered the zipper to just above the point where it had stuck, and turned around to lift the dress back into place, but it was too tight, so I lowered the zipper fully once more, and pulled the skirt back over my hips before I reached back and tugged again.

I felt like crying.

I didn't even know why this was so important to me. All I knew was that it was. I wanted to do this, and I needed to go to the dance. Perhaps it was only to prove to myself if the dreams were real. I had to go, because I had to know. I leaned against the desk trying to think, and it was only my frantic thoughts that prevented me from crying right then.

I slipped the dress off and looked at the zipper again. The hole it the tab was too small to put the end of a hanger through.

Despite all the practice I'd had lately, I still hate it when I cry. "Don't cry you goof," I whispered to the mirror as I squinted my eyes, and looked at the reason I did not want to cry. "Think." I breathed.

I opened the desk drawer looking for anything that I might use to help, but office supplies held no hope. A paperclip, maybe, I thought, but I only had three really big ones, and they didn't fit the hole either. I began looking around in my other drawers, until I found a small sewing kit that my mother had included in some care package at some time in the past. At the time, I remember thinking I really had no clue which end of a needle to stick into myself, and that it was the one thing that all boys on their own must surely need.

I picked it up from where it had lain for over a year, apologizing silently for my lack of faith in my mother, before pulling out the small spool of thread. I fully unzipped the dress again to carefully loop the thread through the hole several times, making as many loops as I had thread on that tiny spool before I readjusted the dress to try again.

The zipper seemed to move, as I held the sides of the dress together as best I could with one hand, but it was hard. several times I tried to pull a little harder, even letting the slide down a little before trying again. Of course, the thread finally broke.

I looked around the room, in between glances at my clock, but there was nothing else that might help.

I tried twice more like that, with the white spool and the black spool, looking at the girl in the mirror, but it was no use. I looked again. A hanger just wouldn't fit in the hole, and I had nothing else.

That's where I was, still looking at myself in the mirror and struggling desperately not to cry, when a loud bang from outside my door brought me rushing over to peek.

"Come on, we have to move!" I heard complaining coming from just outside.

"You in a hurry? Twinkle toes?" I was already moving the door, and I quickly cracked it open to look carefully around the edge.

"Girls, you fool. Women! You probably like going to an all boys' school you loser."

Coming down the hall behind the others was the boy from the corner room, Benny Jackson. Unmistakable, because he had the darkest skin of anyone in the school. I called softly "Benny!"

"Chris?" He looked at the door as I pulled it back in front of me. "You better get a move on. I had to show those guys how to do a bow tie, and…"

"Benny, I need your help. Please?" I called softly, from just out of sight.

"Sure, Chris, but one shot at the tie…" I stepped back behind the door, and pulled it fully open. "… and you are on your…" Benny stopped mid stride, but I was between him and the door, which I let go to face him, while holding the front of the dress at the breast. "Chris? What the hell?"

"Benny, I'm so sorry. Please don't freak out on me." I pleaded with him. "I need your help. The dress is old, and I need help to get the zipper up."

"Is this a joke? You don't have time to change!" His mouth moved again, but only soft guttural sounds came out, when his eyes suddenly grew wider. "Hey, now. Look'ie here Lady. I have mace, and I'm not afraid… I'll scream."

"Benny! For God's sake, just pull the zipper up for me, please. We have to go." I turned my back to him, not sure if I was trying to give him access to the zipper, or keep from crying if I looked at him any more.

"Chris, what are you doing?" He said, still standing there, and not moving an inch.

"I don't know, Ben, please. I can't get it up, and I'm going to be late."

"This doesn't mean we are going together, man."

Finally I felt his hands at my back, just as I was sure tears would slip free. Instinctively I tipped my head forward to keep my hair out of the way, even though it was surely too short to get stuck.

He tugged several times.

I tried to help. "You have to hold it together, Ben, but be careful it's very old."

"Yeah, Chris. Thanks. I thought that zippers on dresses worked a different way. Man this one is going to take the… cake" The zipper slid to the top, as the dress conformed itself to hug me firmly from hip to breast.

I gasped out loud in relief. I'm sure my eyes were still dewy when I turned to thank him.

"Thank you, Benny. I owe you big time."

"Chris, what are you doing?"

"Don't freak on me, Ben. Please."

"Look who's talking? Now let me get the hell out of here, but first turn around let me wipe my fingerprints off the zipper. I want no part of this if Pierce decides to dust for prints."

"Don't tell anyone, please?" I had the instinct to reach for his forearm, but I was sure he'd jump out the window if I did. "Everyone will see anyway in a few minutes."

"Tell them what?" He asked. "This is all you baby. I want no part of it, except for the fact that you need to tell me which door you are going to walk in, because I'm going to set up a chair right in front of it, man."

"Thank you, Benny. Thank you, so much."

"No problem, Chris, now let me out."

He walked around me to the door, and pulled it open, only to turn and look at me again. Shaking his head at me, he let the door go without saying anything else.

No sooner had I turned to find the stole, when I heard a loud knock, before the echo of the closing thump had even faded away.

For several seconds I thought it might be Mrs. Pierce or Miss Lynn, even though I had been sure they would be too busy to worry about me. Looking around, I'd never fit in the closet in this dress, and the bathroom was no hiding place at all, so taking a breath, I walked to the door and slowly pulled it open.

"Benny?" I asked, relieved, and surprised he was still there.

"Chris, you Okay?"

"I'm fine now, Benny. I just couldn't get the zipper up. I'm sorry." The frustration still made me want to cry.

"You need a date? As long as you don't expect my pin or anything, I'll walk you across if you need me to."

He actually looked worried.

"No." I said, this time placing my hand on his forearm. "But, thank you, Benny - for everything."

"You sure?"

I nodded, much calmer now as I took a deep breath.

Benny did something then that I just didn't expect. He complimented me.

"You look great, Chris," he said in parting, and chuckled to himself all the way to the stairs.

"Ben?" I called.

He turned.

"I'm using the same side door as the rest of you guys. The one on this side."

I’m pretty sure he chuckled to himself all the way down the stairs as well.

 
 

Boy_s_zip.png

 
 

     I needed the cold air to help with my jitters. The butterflies were still there too, and the cold on my chest and shoulders and back made me shiver gently despite the wrap that I was using to cover my bare skin for the short walk to the hall, but my head was clearing - a little.

Ahead of me, the lights in the hall grew suddenly brighter in the center of the dance floor, even as the lights over the tables dimmed further. I had to hurry.

One of the caterers was at the door, moving some forgotten item in, and he stopped me and said. "The door for you girls is over near the buses." He was just being nice.

"I know." I said, and just stood there waiting for him to move, not knowing what else to do.

"Have it your way, Miss." He said opening the door further for me. "Enjoy the ball."

I grinned, and thanked him as I walked into the outer hall between the inner and outer glass doors. There was a table that had been placed there for the boys to leave their top hats, gloves, bicycle pumps. I was surprised. There was actually a hat there. I left my stole and a small drawstring bag that held a few cosmetics and tissues beside it.

The inner doors were open, and I stood there for several moments. I took several deep breaths before I realized that people had looked in my direction. No one noticed yet. They would.

My mind was unnaturally quiet, and I took one more deep breath, as I gently lifted my skirts and slowly walked into the brighter light at the end of the line of my classmates, who being generally smaller, were lined up in front of the upperclassmen. I stood there, folding my hands in front of me, I think outwardly calm.

It was done.

The boy beside me, whom I had not even looked at long enough to recognize nudged my arm softly.

"Hey. You're on the wrong side. The girls are lined up over there."

"Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen." Mrs. Pierce's voice rolled from the end of the dance floor, and the end of the hall in front of a small microphone that had been placed there in front of the small orchestra for the conductor.

I took another deep breath, and slowly turned to look the boy beside me in the eye. It was almost two seconds before I saw his eyes widen, and his complexion fade. I was sure mine was doing the same, and I had to force myself to breathe deeply again as I tried to settle the butterflies once more, because I could see several other guys heads turning toward me or worse popping out of line to see.

All I could do was to turn forward, again, letting my eyes rove over the rows of beautifully dressed girls across from me. About half were in more modern gowns, and about half were dressed as I had, but they all looked lovely as my eyes moved slowly over their line. They were doing the same.

"Let me just say how happy I am that so many of you could be here for me to welcome you to your Winter Ball." She paused as several people applauded politely.

I thought I heard the murmur of an earnest conversation off in the darker area near the tables where the adults stood, but I couldn't hear any of the words.

"Thank you. Now let me just say, that the first obligation of all of you here is to have a good time, and enjoy yourselves and each other's dress…"

I glanced at her long enough to see her eyes grow wide as she lost it looking at me.

"God." I whispered, and tried to let my mind go blank. Someone touched the bare skin on my back softly, but I barely noticed them. I was too unnerved over how badly I’d unsettled Mrs. Pierce.

"I'm… Excuse me, each other's hair." She took a deep breath, which everyone heard over the microphone, but I don't know where she was looking at that point. I was too afraid to even glance in her direction, and I couldn't take my eyes off one tall girl who was staring directly at me, as many of the other girls now were.

"I beg your pardon. Your first obligation is to enjoy each other's company. So enjoy yourselves, and if I see too many hiding along the sidelines, both I and my counterpart, Mrs. Lang of Saint Mary's, will be happy to make introductions. So, especially for all you ladies - Welcome to Saint Andrew's."

There was some polite applause, but this time I definitely heard some words off to my left through the noise, but I couldn't look that way either. I had known there was a good chance that I would be escorted out, making this the most expensive ball gown on a per minute basis since Katharine the Great had worn one to an orgy, but I so dearly hoped not.

The noises from the adults came a little louder "… I don't care." "You can't. He can wear what he wants…" "Don't you think I know..." There were shadows of movements to my left, and to my right I could see Mrs. Pierce smiling at everyone else as she made her way calmly but inexorably in my direction. "He'll always be the boy who showed up… dress, for the rest of …"

Mrs. Pierce had nodded to all the ladies across from us, more than one of whom, were nudging their closest companions and nodding in my direction instead. My eyes found several of the girls who were just looking, and the few more who did not seem to notice anything unusual, but most already had.

"Chris?"

I jumped at the voice right behind me, as I was turned by my shoulder.

I found myself staring up at Tom, unable to move or think.

"Did you come to dance?" He asked, glancing repeatedly over my head, but smiling down at me.

I nodded somehow, unable to tell him he didn't have to do this, but he had my hand already, and I still couldn't speak.

He led me toward the dance floor before any other couple had a chance, which signaled the conductor to announce a request for the Rogers and Hammerstein waltz.

The opening bars of the prelude music were already sounding as he led me past Mrs. Pierce.

Tom shifted to be between she and I, and said in passing, "Good evening, Mrs. Pierce."

I couldn't tell if she was frowning or smiling. I could see her in stark relief, but my mind would not process the information my eyes were trying to send it.

Behind her, even the girls who had been nudging, or even pointing, had stopped to watch me being led to the floor. Some smiling, some curious, and some practically expressionless, but all were watching.

Tom took my hip, waiting for the orchestra.

"Someone told me you are supposed to breathe, Chris." He said, smiling down at me. "I can actually see your heart beating in your chest."

I didn't laugh, I couldn't, but the spasm that went through me rekindled the process of moving air in and out of my lungs just the same.

"Tom?" I husked weakly "Why?'

He grinned again. "Are you kidding? We're friends. You're also one of the prettiest girls here, even though I'm going to do most of my dancing with Angie." He grinned broadly down at me as we heard the piece begin to play. "Mostly though, Chris. When I'm eighty I'll still be telling folks: 'What do you think I did? I asked him to dance'."

He laughed at my expression as I stepped into the pull on my hip.

The lights on the side were dimming more, and for several seconds, when I was not looking at Tom, I was conscious of being watched by every eye. We were all the way around the floor before the second couple joined us. I couldn't muster the breath to ask Tom to stop grinning, and I was too overwhelmed by the lights and faces that were sweeping past us anyway.

When he paused and let go of my hip, and I instinctively held out my freed hand as I continued in a circle around him, he laughed again at the cooing noise that rose form the girl’s side.

There were by then at least a half a dozen couples, one of whom was grinning at me more widely than anyone else. Jerry.

As the waltz ended, my heart was still intent on beating its way to freedom, but the butterflies had finally cocooned themselves into a warm tingle that filled my middle.

Tom stopped us at the far end, near the orchestra, and as far away from the adults as possible. I could only look at him in awe and gratitude.

"Thank you, Tom." I said softly but clearly, even though I could have as easily cried as I released my gratitude to him.

"No, Chris. Thank you." He said as he leaned down to peck my cheek! Several folks nearby gave a good-natured chuckle of approval, and there was a softer cooing sound from the girls on my right. It didn't keep my expression from telling him how grateful I was.

"Excuse me?" He asked. I laughed and patted his chest to let him go. He turned toward an amazing looking blond girl, who I assumed was Angie, and who was walking toward us grinning and shaking her head.

I looked away as soon as I could, just as the next waltz was beginning. I tried to stand calmly and watch the couples joining on the floor, but I could not help but glance at the other end of the hall.

I was at first relieved to see that Mrs. Pierce, and Miss Lindsay were standing at the edge of the dance floor with their backs turned toward me, obviously not intending to snatch me right out of the middle of the dance. My relief wavered, though, when I realized that Mrs. Pierce was standing facing one of the governors - one of the important ones. One look at how straight her back was told me all that I needed to know.

Miss Lynn was with the head, talking to another group.

"Wish I'd thought of it too. Could have charged them double."

I laughed, mostly with nerves, before I even turned to face Freddie.

"Chris, may I just say… Wow!"

"Oh, knock it off, Freddie, please? I didn't bring any money with me."

"I'm not kidding, Chris. I almost dropped that first day I saw you in the hall, but this. It's amazing. If my mum and dad had come, I'd be introducing you to them right now."

I grinned painfully. "Oh, Freddie, give it a rest."

"You look absolutely beautiful, Chris."

"Thank you, Fred." I said this while reaching out to brush the silky lapel of his jacket. "You look very handsome too. This is much better than that stupid skirt." I tried to giggle, but couldn't. He did look much more handsome.

"Thank you. Come on." He held out his hand.

I blushed then. "Freddie, knock it off. Okay? I mean it."

"What? I'm not good enough to dance with?"

"I'd rather dance with Mrs. Pierce." I said grinning now.

"Why you stuck up little…" He started to laugh.

"Ass." I said, the giggles finally escaping my tight insides too.

"Tease."

"Jerk."

"Bitch. Come on."

"Freddie, do you remember last year when you jumped into a bed full of peanut butter?" I asked him, sweetly.

"Don't remind me, I still… Hey! That was…? Awe, Chris. No way that was you, man, you wouldn't say boo to Vladimir Putin."

"No, I wouldn't." I admitted. "But I'm not on a scholarship either, and I can buy a whole lot more peanut butter if you keep it up." I smiled as sweetly as I knew how, and looked at the girls again, trying to get up my courage.

"Yes you can,” he said beside me, “but I'm bigger…"

Freddie had somehow moved in front to take my hip, and I instinctively followed his lead easily enough for him to put us back onto the dance floor again.

He grinned at me the whole time, even though he was the only dance partner I had that night who I didn't stare back at. I had to look at the other faces, or anyplace other than Freddie.

However, I had somehow forgotten that he was also one of the best dancers in the school.

Then I could not help but to look at him.

We danced for the rest of that waltz, which was only for a little while, but it was really nice just the same. He was a much better than me, I realized.

As the waltz ended, he grinned again, and said "Thank you, Chris" and did that little peck on the cheek thing making me close my eyes and go more than a little rigid as I gently squirmed from the assault.

"Freddie." I whined softly. I was now giggling and shivering inside and out.

"Thanks, Chris." He grinned broadly, and then stepped over to ask one of the other girls to dance.

Girls!

I turned quickly, but it was already too late. I was a lost gosling, being surrounded and drawn into the center of the flock.

I spun back hissing. "Freddie! You dirty bast…"

"Hi. You must be. Chris." I heard.

I looked back for the girl who had addressed me, and quickly had to look up. She was wearing a modern gown, and was tall. She was the girl who'd been staring fixedly at me. She was also awfully strong looking… It threw me a little. My god, she was pretty, with a pretty shape, but you could still see that she had actual muscles in her arms.

"How…Hi." I stammered.

She laughed, I think because I was completely surrounded and completely cut off at that point.

"How beautiful." I heard whispered just behind me, and: "So pretty for a boy…" "Too pretty, you mean..."

The big girl laughed again, and said simply. "I'm Beth. I ride the bus to our field meets with Tom, who told us about you helping out."

"I. I, he?" I responded boldly, clearly taking charge of the conversation. Oh, God.

Her smile didn’t waver. "When he said you were actually very cute, we teased him something fierce. Now I’ll have to apologize."

"What did he say?" I managed, in English, one of the three languages I thought I could understand.

A girl beside me pulled my shoulder gently. "Do you go to Saint Andrew's?" She asked staring at my eyes and face before she looked down at my gown, where even another girl reached out and whispered to others beside her. "Look. it's hand painted…” “That’s a boy?" "So Beautiful..."

I nodded to the first girl, which caused the cooing sound again, but this time it came from all around me.

Another girl leaned in and asked "Are you the Headmaster's granddaughter or something?" She was staring at me in disbelief. This girl was very pretty, and it made me blush as I struggled to sound normal. I found almost enough air in my lungs to say "No. I just go."

"How long?" Someone else asked.

"Two years." I told her, to softer cooing and louder murmurs.

Suddenly behind me another girl said loudly. "Well enough of this. I need to find a man before they all go poofy on us."

"Jesus Jenny." The pretty girl said to her. "You have to be such a slut all the time? You were already voted most likely three years running." She did not look happy with Jenny.

The rude girl said "Whatever." and kind of stalked off.

Beth took my hand, forcing me to look at her, even though there were still soft comments and questions all around. They all ignored the rude girl too.

"So," Beth asked, "would you like to dance, or did you just plan to dance with all the cute guys so none of us had a chance?"

"What?" I was stammering now "No! I wanted to dance with you guys. Guys?" Oh, god. And I was worried about asking a girl to dance.

"Good." Beth said, and practically pulled me through the rustling of feathers, as she made a path through the center of the flock to the edge of the dance floor.

There were over a dozen couples now, including some of the ones who were far less confident, but no one had run over anyone yet.

Instinctively, I guess, I reached up to put my hand on Beth's shoulder, and she only laughed when I blushed because of it. She wasn't offended, because she grinned and shook her head, as she drew me onto the floor.

Beth wasn't a great dancer, but she was at least nice enough to realize fairly quickly that she had to slow down and take smaller steps to keep me from having to run around the floor after her. She would have been better if she hadn't been asking me so many questions about what Tom had told her on the team's bus.

I myself almost tripped us once, when Freddie flew by grinning, and I mouthed the suggestion explaining his parentage.

She was really nice though. When the dance ended, she and I were back on the girl's side, so she held my hand as she escorted me off the edge there.

"He was right about you being a good dancer too." Beth smiled at me, and then to the chuckles of most of the girls, she did the cheek peck too, and laughed at me as I blushed, resisting the impulse to rub my cheek.

"Hum! Makeup!" Beth grinned making smacking noises. "That's definitely an acquired taste I guess. Thank you for the dance, Chris. Perhaps later?"

I could only nod, too in shock to do more than murmur something polite.

"Well, Thank You, Chris. Now if you'll excuse me, I'd really like to get to some of the boys before Jenny contaminates them all."

I nodded to her, and turning realized that Mrs. Pierce was dancing with her husband. I smiled and nodded as she briefly caught sight of me, but it gave me the instant courage to turn back toward the girls.

That's when I saw her.

I was not surprised that I had not seen her before, because she was small like me. She was quite possibly the prettiest girl I'd ever seen. Not like the blond girl, who looked like a model, but more like a doll.

She had dark eyes, and black curly hair down to her shoulders, in a fine ringlet perm I guess you'd call it. She was wearing a cream gown, of an older style that made me think of it as a vintage gown like mine. It was almost a golden color, and had a little ribbed pattern running up and down the bodice and sleeves. The bodice and skirt were both covered in small colorfully embroidered flowers.

I could only stare.

"Hi, Chris." she said softly, as she smiled politely. "Would you like to dance with me now?"

"Hi." I answered her, not able to take my eyes away. "You know my name?" I asked, sounding rather silly.

She seemed to be staring at me as much as I was staring at her.. "I'm Millie." She reached for my hand.

It was only a couple of steps to the floor, but one of the other girls did manage to say "Oh, Gosh. She caught up with him." Another answered that one with: "Careful Chris."

Millie only smiled and laughed at them before she turned fully to face me.

I guess it was because she was actually a tiny bit smaller than I, that I got a little confused, I reached for her hip, but she just smiled and took my hand, and moved it to her shoulder. "Who do you think taught these behemoths to trot?" She said, smiling broadly now at the look on my face as she took a step on the next beat.

Unlike Freddie, I had no trouble keeping eye contact with Millie.

I danced with her for that entire waltz, and another after, when one of the girls cut in. I danced with Tom again, and he introduced me to Angie, who also asked me to dance, before Millie was back again. Jerry, and the very pretty girl, Deborah... and even Benny. In the short breaks for air, or a sip of water from tiny bottles, several of the girls continued asking about me, but more and more about the handsome boy's I'd been dancing with. It made me laugh to tell them who, and how nice, my friends truly were. It was all so wonderful, but my head was spinning when the chimes sounded that it was coming time for us to start moving toward the tables.

Millie took me by the hand, and I followed. I'd have never gone near the adults had it not been for her leading me to a table. However, I really needed to sit now because we'd both danced almost all the dances so far, and the silk dress was really heavy.

"Chris?" Mrs. Pierce said, as she appeared from nowhere beside us.

Millie surprised me by stepping up to press herself into my side, as if she was afraid that Mrs. Pierce would snatch me right off my feet. I sort of thought she might as well.

Mrs. Pierce actually almost smiled the human smile at her. "Miss Goldman, nice to see you. May I talk to Chris."

Millie squeezed my hand, and said. "Chris and I were just going to get a table, Ma'am. Chris has asked me to eat with him."

It wasn't true but the caterers were now scurrying about the tables, and some of the other couples and kids were drifting up behind us, so it seemed a little truthful.

"Would you step over here with me, Chris? There's someone who wants to say hello." With that, she turned and walked away from the floor.

"It's Okay, Millie.” I sighed. “Mrs. Pierce is… my friend." I tried to reassure her, hoping that the person she wanted me to meet didn't have a net.

I started to walk to follow Mrs. Pierce, but Millie wouldn't let go of my hand. She came along.

Several people were standing back away from the tables, and along the wall, while I approached slowly, because I was so afraid that I was about to be forcibly ejected, or worse.

"Good evening, Headmaster." I said, quietly, while holding Millie's hand more tightly than she had squeezed mine. I was about say something about the nice dance, when another man stepped toward me.

"Hello, Chris."

"Dad!"

He looked a little confused, but I wasn't at all. I just grabbed him.

"Dad." I said more weakly, wanting to laugh, but crying now just the same. "You, came."

He was hugging me back tightly, almost lifting me. "As soon as I could, Chris." Even though he squeezed me like he meant it, he all too quickly pushed me back to look at me.

I had to ask, “How long have you been here?"

"I got here about fifteen minutes ago, as quickly as the limo could make the trip from the airport."

"I'm so glad to see you, Dad... I…" I was going to tell him how happy I was, but the look on his face held me back. He just stared, and there were tears in his eyes.

Oh god, Dad.

"Dad, I didn't mean to upset anyone. I'm sorry. I just wanted…" All I could do was to compare all their shoes for several moments.

"Chris, Would you come back here with me for a moment."

Oh no, I thought suddenly. I had been thrown out of school after all. I took a deep breath, and steadied myself as best I could. I didn't look at any of the men and women who standing near us looking at me. Too few were smiling, anyway. Most just looked worried or confused. They weren't the ones I'd miss.

"Yes, sir." I mumbled very softly, and began to follow him.

Mrs. Pierce and Miss Lynn were standing near the front side door that the girls had come in waiting for us. It looked like they were talking to Saint Mary's headmistress.

When we were close, Dad reached out for the woman’s arm, and she jumped visibly at his touch, and turned...

"Mom?"

My first thought was that she looked older, and so very tired. My second thought was that she felt just like I remembered as we held on to each other.

She didn't push me away to look like Dad had.

I hate it when I cry, usually. This time, I just whispered 'Mom' every time she said she was sorry.

It was several minutes before I felt mom stiffening up suddenly, and when I looked back, Millie was there dewy-eyed, but, so were several of my friends who'd come to make sure they weren’t dragging me away.

"Guys." I said too quickly, having trouble speaking, but holding up my hand for them to stay back.

Poor mom looked like a frightened child.

"Please. You're frightening her. Please move back a little. I'll explain it all to you later. It's Okay, I promise. This is my mom."

The guys didn't understand, but Millie did instinctively, and Miss Lindsay did as well, because they both moved in to pull my friends aside, while Miss Lindsay explain to them exactly why I was crying, and why they had to hang back.

Millie was the only one who returned to me, and stood with Miss Lynn.

Mrs. Pierce spoke up then. "Mister and Mrs. Morgan, may I present Miss Millie Goldman. Her family is Goldman Trust."

My father nodded and said something cordial to Millie, but my mother just smiled absently at her, before she spoke to me again. "You look different Chris."

I lifted the sides of my dress, and let them fall. "I'm so sorry if I've embarrassed you again."

My mother spoke even more softly. "That's not what I meant, Chris. You look… happy."

I didn't know what to say. "How long did you watch, Mom?"

My father answered, because my mom was just staring at me, and tears were flowing from her eyes again.

"Long enough." He tried to smile, as he said. "If you were so unhappy here, Chris, you could have said something."

It was funnier than it sounds, but Mrs. Pierce actually rose up on her toes, and I thought sure she'd swing, but even she quickly realized he was only joking with me, and he probably just didn't know what else to say.

Neither did I, which is why I couldn't really explain any better than I finally did.

"No." I said shaking my head slowly. "That's not it at all. I love it here, and these people are really nice to me every day. Mrs. Pierce, Miss Lynn, and Doctor Pope, they treat me like I'm their family. The guys… Dad they're just the best you can even imagine. They’re more like big brothers."

"You still like it here?" My mother asked, sounding both relieved and confused.

"Yes, I do. Don’t you understand? I just missed you guys, so much. That's all."

My father looked confused, his eyes trying to take all of me in again. "Then what's this all about, Chris?"

I felt the words coming together inside of me, but I couldn't make them move further than my stomach. "I don't know, Dad." I told him, dabbing my eyes with a tissue Millie slipped into my hand.

"It's just…" Looking up at their faces, the words poured out. "I don't think I'm supposed to be in a boy's school."

 
 

Epilogue.png

 
 

     "…Thus, there are several changes that we had to add as a supplement to the student handbook. The new issue of the student handbook will be issued in a few weeks, and I'll make sure you get one of the first copies."

"Thank you Ma'am"

"One big change is that we have instituted a casual day, which has for the time being been set for the first Friday of the month. It's only temporary, so we can see how it goes, but I expect you girls in particular to read the rules regarding the acceptable modes of casual dress very carefully."

"I will ma'am. I promise."

"I know you will. Just as I know you will make sure that your daily uniform conforms as well.

"Now, you all know where the designated bathrooms are, which you'll share with the ladies on the staff, so that leaves only one other point. I want to make it very clear, because it's a big one. The shuttle van that will take you back to Saint Mary's will be here at various times depending on class schedules, and extra curricular activities. It is your responsibility to keep track of when and where you are supposed to be. I don't expect problems. However, if the unfortunate happens, you are to let me know at once. I can't have one of you girls going missing on me."

"I understand."

She sighed. "I'm sure you girls won't be a problem at all."

"Thank you, ma'am. I know that I speak for all of us when I tell you that we appreciate this opportunity, and all the trouble you've gone through to make it all work."

She smiled. "Not at all. I believe that the decision to allow students to commute from Saint Mary's so that they can take selected classes under the instructors here is a very wise one. We have some of the best teachers anywhere, and Saint Mary's has many students who are second to none. It's a good mix. Besides, five students in ten classes can hardly be considered a logistical nightmare. In any case, it's just the beginning."

"I appreciate the opportunity, ma'am. Very much."

"I'm sure you will make the most of it, just as your record proves you always have, but if there are any problems at all, what should you do?"

I couldn't help grinning. "I come and see you immediately. Neither delays nor excuses to be tolerated."

"I can see we are going to get along just fine. Now, I'd like to walk you to your first class with Doctor Hammond."

"You don't need to do that, ma'am. I'm sure I can find my way." I was still grinning like anything.

"Believe me, it will be my pleasure to make sure you get there on time, and it's only just down the hall." She ushered me out of the chair, and then out of her office.

The girls in the outer office smiled in a friendly way of welcome, making me feel really good as well.

Before we reached the outer door, though, A rather loud distinctive voice sounded behind us in an abrupt tone. "Miss Morgan?"

I turned to face him, to find that his tone not withstanding, he was smiling like everyone else.

"Good morning, Headmaster."

"And, a very good morning to you, Miss Morgan. The Saint Mary's kilt and blazer looks like a nice complement to the usual around here…"

"Thank you, Headmaster."

"… but I wanted to remind you, that I've managed quite well these last thirteen years not having to carry weapons of any kind with me as I walked our hallowed halls."

"Headmaster?" I asked, assuming this was the speech about hormonally challenged teenagers again.

"A ruler, Miss Morgan. It's my understanding that the uniform kilt length is not to be higher than three inches above the knee…"

Mrs. Pierce tiredly said. "Four inches."

"… And I fully expect my girls to show the same sense of restraint and decorum that I expect of all my students; however, if we are given reason, we will be checking to be sure that that two-inch rule is scrupulously adhered too."

"Thank you, Headmaster."

"No. Thank you, Miss Morgan. We've missed you."

"I missed all of you too, sir. Very much"

Mrs. Pierce had me by the shoulders again. "If you'll excuse us, sir. I want to make sure that Chris is not late for Doctor Hammond's class, not to mention, that she's not forced into wearing a bustle skirt for the rest of the year."

“You’re just happy you finally got your own way, Mildred.” The headmaster grinned like one of the guys. "However, tardiness can not be tolerated, and please give my fond respects to Doctor Hammond and, as for you Chris, please do try an remember that the one inch rule only exists to make your stay with us more enjoyable. Besides, knee length skirts can be quite, fetching, that is to say lovely. I even seem to recall that one student here made a most favorable impression in much longer togs."

His concessions to gravity, and the irresistible slide toward my ankles was only halted when Miss Lindsay interrupted him by handing him a message slip.

"Huh? Oh the governors, quite right. Thank you Miss Lindsay. Is that all quite clear, Miss Morgan?"

"Quite clear, sir. My mother is equally concerned, Headmaster. She already has several new rulers at the ready."

"Excellent. A most sensible woman to have raised such a charming daughter. Now if you'll excuse me… important headmaster stuff." he grinned again. "And don't forget you owe Mrs. Pope and me a dinner next week so that we can catch up on developments."

"I very much look forward to it, sir."

Mrs. P. and I were laughing half way down the hall.

"The only things I never thought would change around here were the jokes” She continued to chuckle freely with me. “So, how does it go with your family?" She asked me more quietly in the not quite empty hallway.

"Wonderful, ma'am. Really just wonderful. My parents bought a new house an hour away, so I'll be spending most nights and weekends with them.”

She nodded that she knew the Board of Governors had waived some of the residency requirements for me as well.

“The place is really too huge for just the three of us, and The Third Armored Division, but it really is very nice."

"I heard. I was so glad they will be so much closer. How is your mother doing?" She asked even more softly.

"She's much better, ma'am, thank you. She still gets uncomfortable going out, but as long as my father or I are with her, she seems much better. Her new doctor thinks it's because she and I got to spend so much time together over the Summer. It's made a huge difference in how she was feeling about things with me, and that means she's feeling better all around. We had a blast."

"And Miss Millie?" She grinned at me.

"She's wonderful too." My cheeks burned. "They wouldn't let us be roommates, though." I giggled. "I have a private room with barbed wire, and Millie has one with mines and a burglar alarm outside her door."

We both giggled.

Mrs. Pierce nudged me. "That sounds like something special. I'm so happy for you."

"It is. I can't even describe the feelings. When I think of how things might have gone on feeling so alone... Dad showed me some of the letters, and diagnoses he got from that silly doctor. He had pages of stuff that said that if he tried to get mother and me under the same roof, mom would just collapse in an irreversible catatonia. Really scary stuff."

"I'm sorry about that guy, Chris." She frowned for the first time.

"Me too. The first week we were back here though, all three of us threw them into the fireplace. It was a late family Christmas gift."

"And what did I read about this 'Anna Jessie' Foundation?"

"That's just me getting back at my dad still." I felt so embarrassed.

She smiled too, but pulled me to a stop. ‘Okay, I got the message. No getting away this time.’

"I suppose, I just realized that one big thing I like about having so much, is that sometimes you can actually help." I don't know if my blush was the same color as it usually was, but it felt different. "My mom and dad get the credit really. Their lawyer did all the work setting it up. Donna is going to school. The others, Anna and Jessie, lent their names and time, because it turns out they’ve been helping people all along. Not much to do with me, really."

She patted my shoulder again. "I'm so glad you are back. The picture of you and Millie we hung in the dressing room was a poor substitute. The place was not the same.”

My smile was all the answer she needed as she pulled opened the door to Doctor Hammond's class just before the bell rang.

"Chris!" Millie called out from her seat in the first row where she sat in an identical uniform kilt and blazer. It stood out rather starkly against all the boys, who had fearfully left rows of seats around Millie empty, even though that meant some of them had to share two to a desk, which had obviously given Millie the giggle fits.

Doctor Hammond was watching Mrs. Pierce as if he had been cleaning out the lion's cage at the zoo, and had mistakenly left the screened door unlocked.

I grinned back at Millie. "Hi Millie. I’m so glad you'll be in here too."

"Chris, I'm starting to have serious doubts." She said over her shoulders at her distant classmates. "Are they always like this?" She asked in between giggles.

"No. They're on their best behavior. What can I say? If you ignore them, they calm down pretty well, and then they kind of grow on you." I promised, grinning as much as she was, and all while nodding at a bunch of the guys who were waving and making faces at me behind her.

Just then Freddie strode into the room, causing Mrs. Pierce to loose her cool for the first time ever, covering her mouth with one hand trying to muffle a small shriek. Well, perhaps the second time.

"Oh good God. Freddie." She said, and then she cracked up.

Freddie was wearing a leather mini that was at least three inches above poor Doctor Pope’s minimums. He also had a Hooter's tee with a stuffed animal in it, some weird pink boots, this huge blond wig done up in oversized pigtails and bows, not to mention enough makeup for a whole circus of clowns…

I could only groan. "Oh Freddie…" Then laughed along with everyone else..

Freddie took my hands in his, grinning, and started jumping up and down. "Here you are, Girlfriend. I've been looking all over for you, and I'm so happy we have Home Economics together, and then we have naked volleyball, and then we can like make fudge, and… Oh! Oh! I got the little Mermaid on Blue Ray!"

I couldn't contain myself. "Oh my God, Freddie. You've lost it so bad you don't even know where you saw it last." I giggled helplessly.

"Mister Thomas." Mrs. Pierce tried for stern, and failed miserably.

"Oh, Hello Mrs. Pierce. I didn't see you there! Do you like fudge, too?"

“Do we need a private talk now, Mr. Thomas, or are you going to change in time for your next class?”

"Yes, Ma'am. Gotta go Chris. Bye! See you at the slumber party!" Then, he honest to god, as I was peeking through the fingers of the hand covering my own eyes, skipped out of the room.

One of the boys mumbled "Dumb bastard."

"Yeah, but it was funny." Someone else said.

"You think Mrs. Pierce is going to make him run around the whole school with a pack full of rocks?"

"Yeah. In that outfit."

Everyone, except Professor Hammond was laughing as I looked at Mrs. Pierce, shrugging just as helplessly.

"I'm sorry ma'am." I told her, still laughing. "I hope I won't always be this much trouble for you."

She smiled the human smile, the only one that she ever used with me now.

"Nonsense, Miss Morgan. You've given me something else we needed much more around here than peace and quiet, and I think that's worth much more than a little trouble."

"Ma'am?"

Over her shoulder, she said, "Girls, Miss Morgan. Girls."

 
 

Fin.

 
 

 
 

Thank you for reading. I hope that you’ve enjoyed reading along as much as I’ve enjoyed presenting Boys' School to you.


My very special thanks to Geoff for his invaluable time and advice.

 
 
 
By

Sarah Lynn Morgan

[email protected]

 
 

If you like this story, please, click in the vote box to the lower left.   Comments are always welcome,
and appreciated!    Including our Guests, who may login as guest reader, password topshelf.

up
267 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Belle of the Ball

terrynaut's picture

We have a new Belle of the Ball here, and her name is Chris!

Go Chris! She found her path and took it.

What a wonderful wrap up of a wonderful story, Sarah.

The dance was dreamy. I loved all of Chris' dance partners, especially the last one. Isn't young love sweet? *sigh*

The epilogue was especially delicious. That last line is perfect. :)

Thanks so much for this story.

- Terry

*swoons*

As expected, a purrfect ending to a purrfect tail.

I am hoping we might see more of Chris and Millie, but then again, everything has sort of been wrapped up already. Well, transitioning, convincing the doctors maybe? But i dont think that'll take too much convincing.

Anyways, a million thanks,

Love,
Amber

Wonderful

Yup, wonderful. It's snowing heavily outside, I have to leave for work in 20 minutes, and it's going to be a bitch of a night wrestling with rusty screen and wet burlap, but I'm happy because I got to read the last chapter and it was wonderful. Thank you.

Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue

Black mini, pink boots, blond hair, OMG it's Ditz Barbie

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hey Sarah,

Thank you EVER so much, a VERY cute fun ending. I sort of suspected the Chris/mom interaction, BUT, that does NOT mean I would have wanted it to be, in ANY way, otherwise.

I eagerly await your next efforts.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Boys' school

Hi

Thank you so much for writing such a superb story, and thank you also to your editing team for their hard work too. A great tale with a superb finish, with everyone happy.

I was so glad that not only Dad made it to the ball, but also Mum. They were able to see their child happy and themselves were happy enough to not be prejudice. Thank goodness Chris had the guts to let them know that he wanted to go to the other school.

I look forward to your next masterpiece.

Hugs

Karen

A Really Sweet Ending To A Really Sweet Story

jengrl's picture

It was so beautiful the way things turned out for Chris. Her parents came back to see her and to finally settle down nearby.It was wonderful that she found a really beautiful girlfriend in Millie and that she loves Chris so completely. It was great the way Mrs. Pierce and Dr. Pope welcomed her back and accepted her for who she is. A really sweet story written by a really wonderful author! Thank you for taking us on this wonderful ride Sarah!

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

There Really Is Such A Thing As Magic

Hello Sarah,

Sorry that I waited until the end to comment on this one, but I'm not sure if I have the words to do it justice. Just when I thought your last effort had reached unattainable heights you come along with this one and just blow me away and push the bar way out of sight. It seems that I had good company along the way with rarely seen numbers of both reads and votes as well as great comments that leave me little to add. I don't know how you do it making your stories come alive and sing to us but I am very glad that you do it and continue to share your special gift with us the lucky readers. Until next time when you share the magic with us once more, I wish you and your muse all the best.

Kindest regards,
talonx

WONDERFUL!

Sarah, Thank you so much for a wonderful ending for an extraordinary story. You go Girl!

Hugs, Rianna

Thanks Sarah

I feel complete, that warm fuzzy, all is well feeling. Nice wrap up.
Not to say I would not mind to hear more adventures but I don't feel like I'm hanging on for it.
Thank You!

Sweet ending except we never see the Swiss doctor get cruxifed

Or drawn and quartered, burnt at the stake, Chinese water torture, type-A school lunch ... no, that last one is tooo cruel.

Finally the parents overcame the self-serving Swiss doctor's nonsense and did what was really needed to heal the family, get it back together. Throwing his nasty, fear-mongering letters on the fire was good but they forgot to throw him on as well.

I had a nasty feeling from that phone conversation and Chris’s memories of the few times he heard from mom that all they did was drug the shi* out of her. TWO and a half years institutionalized was going to cure someone who’s core problem was she had grown up too much in isolation as a child? This was warehousing her, nothing more. This was doing nothing to reduce her fears, nothing but line the doctor's pockets with gold. I imagine she would have been declared cured within minutes of, say, the father’s business failing and thus the money train ending.

Dad has come around too and realized too much time away building his business was wasting time better spent on his family, IE all the money in the world is so much paper without love.

I don’t know if the boy will fully transition or not but it looks like Tom, the loony Freddy and many of the staff will be lifelong friends and Millie, bi, lesbian, whatever will be Chris’s sister/lover whatever.

What matters is he or she has found love and family again.

Oh, the bit with Headmaster and the skirt/kilt length was a hoot. Also liked the charity angle Chris set up to help the talented makeup artist and her child, sweet.

And as for you Karen_J, getting an early copy, and not sharing … Meanie!

-- Sniffle, sob, bawh!!!!!!!! --

-- snicker --

Um, Sarah Lyn, you can tell I liked it.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Awwww..

And as for you Karen_J, getting an early copy, and not sharing

You're not the only one, John!

I think it's all been said before by the countless comments, so all I can add is a simple "Thank you Sarah..."

PB

Okay, you managed...

to surprise me. Millie was not expected. I figured Chris would hae a great time, and the family (at least the Dad) would be there to see her debutant ball. And that Chris would be at St. Mary's the next year. I even figured Tom would dance with her. I didn't realize you were going to give Chris a girlfriend as well. Nicely done.

As to how you took care of Donna. Not a bad solution. She was too old for Chris. :-)

The epilogue was fun. And, Freddie was a nice way to cause things to end with a big laugh. :-) It was also interesting how you had him do things throughout that made the last scene "fit"...

Thank you very much.
Annette

Brava

Ms Morgan,
Thank you! I truly enjoyed 'Boy's School'. It was beautifully crafted and a pleasure throughout. Memories and laughs and tears make a heady read.
Michelle

Almost speechless

I'm almost speechless; and legions of friends will tell you that's quite an achievement.

Nothing I can say does this justice; I am, as ever, stunned by your story-telling ability, and the humour in this final chapter was masterful (mistressful?).

"They wouldn't let us be roommates, though." I giggled. "I have a private room with barbed wire, and Millie has one with mines and a burglar alarm outside her door." is just one of the laughs I had whilst reading.

The dance was spectacular, not only in the scene-setting, but also in the description of the event. And the reunion with Chris' parents was so sensitively written.

I could go on but what's the point? I merely preach to the converted!

Thank you again, Sarah and editors.

Love,

Susie

A highly enjoyable read

Really enjoyed this! I really liked the humour in the dialogue it made the characters more "solid" and really helps to differentiate this from the other stories in a similar setting.

Very well written and obviously carefully edited. Thank you for posting it.

I loved this story so much.

I loved this story so much. Thank you Ms. Morgan for yet another masterpiece of storytelling. I look forward to your next work of art.

Eclipse

What can I say?

What can I say that hasn't been said already.
I thought there were too many threads to tie off in just one chapter, but you did it in style, and added some beautiful new threads to the tapestry while you were at it.

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Boys school what a wonderful series

Sarah,

I finally started to read your adventure last night and finished chapter 8 at 6:30 AM this morning.

It showed, when I had to get up to go to work after 2 hours sleep. I could not put your story down. It was simply wonderful.

I was so happy to see the finale today. But sad that it is finished.

I have one question though, and I might have missed it in the story someplace, Who is Millie, and why did she know Chris? Is she a genetic girl? I'm confused?

Should we know her from somewhere? Was she a previous Boy that left the school to become a girl? I guess I'm just curious for she was introduced to her parents, but never really was told the connection or I was to tired to make that connection.

I would love to see more of this story, or an addendum, but some people think I'm too selfish that I want everything. I just see it that there would have been a lot of story left to tell with the parents getting back together and the things that happened before the epilog. I also would have liked to see more of the ball scene and how it finished, that seemed to be so short and concise. It is like you rushed to finish the story, when you had so much detail in the rest of the story.

It is very well written, and very riviting to read. Please continue writing, I loved your story immensly. (obviously because I lost lots of sleep because I couldn't stop reading it.)

Hugs
Joni

I waited

to comment on this one until it was finished. Apologies since I have been reading it since the beginning but just didn't want to say much until I'd read it all.

Chris is a remarkable individual and great character. Same with your supporting cast in the story. This one was enjoyable, in part because of it's gentle approach to things that are often portrayed in a much nastier way, and because it also showed a young person learning about him/herself and those around him.

Good story.

story

Oh I am going to miss this story....I love the way you wraped everything up and Chris got his family back.....Chris going to the girls school and returning to his old one was also a nice touch. Thank you so much for this wonderful story.

A most excellent

story. Very well told, well written and well edited.

PeterT

Fin

I thoroughly enjoyed the story. Thanks for sharing it with us. I only have limited time to read and have a stack of a dozen books crying for my attention. It takes a good author to cause me to invest the time. This was a good investment.

DJ

Overpromised and *still* Overdelivered

Sarah,

earlier you said

  You see. When I wrote this story, the last line was the very first
  one I put on the screen. All the rest were simply to get me there.

which made me very curious. I know you meant the last line of the story
itself, excluding the epilogue. And it was worth the wait. Just superb, and
exactly on target. I expected it to be something special and it still bowled
me over.

But the last line of the epilogue isn't bad either. So you gave us two
wonderful last lines in a story. This is theoretically impossible.
But the impossible is now just what we will expect from you every time.

Thank you Sarah, I enjoyed the whole story tremendously.

- Moni

It's a girls' world; we just let boys live in it.

Great Story

Thanks! I enjoyed this one very much.

A Truly Happy Ending

Sarah,

As with all your writing the characters are so alive. Chris has a will of iron but is also a very caring person. We can all only hope that the acceptance he received can someday be reality. I epecially liked the part about the Anna Jessie Foundation. It was very heartwarming.

I can't wait for your next story and a new hero/heroine to embrace and cheer for.

As everyone else has said, thank you for a wonderful story.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

The loveliest of all thoughts

As with all dreams, it's better to have nicest ones
possible, but that one Dru, I think should be a prayer.

When I sat to write this, the thoughts for how many
of our friends are struggling so courageously just to
survive was never far from my heart. I wanted to write
a happy story, but one centered around one simple thought:
People around you may be the best, but sometimes it’s the
courage to take up the leading role in your own life that brings
true happiness. Sometimes, even when things seem darkest,
that can make things better.

Thank you, Dru, and Thanks to all of you. As I've tried to tell
everyone I could, most sincerely, the pleasure was truly mine.

I only hope Geoff enjoyed it half as well, as he tirelessly polished
the story for us, making it that much more enjoyable. He was just
great.

Sarah Lynn Morgan

WOW

Thank you so much for a wonderful story. I had a hard time waiting for each chapter
I loved it

I wish you enough Mickie

MICKIE

Oh My Gosh, Sarah!

Thanks for posting the final chapter early. It was really a pleasant surprise when I saw it this afternoon. I wondered if Chris would have a problem getting the dress on by herself, but I knew it would be resolved somehow. A very uplifting story. I was crying tears of joy during the reuniting of Chris and her parents.

Just lovely Sarah. Thank you so much.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... SARAH, for awonderful story and two great characters, Chris and Freddie; I can identify because I'm half one and half the other :-)

PS - I like to think that Chris's dad danced with her before the end of the dance.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

a school girl in love

I must thank you very much for such a wonderful kind touching sweet story that made your heart fell warm and put a smile on my face will you do more ?? I mean what about our love birds ? did chris make more of a change then just putting on a skirt ?? hormones and more ? will she get/have SRS? will she marry her cute pixy girlfriend ??

A lovely story from beginning to end

Sarah,

I have to admit that I didn't start reading until the 4th section was posted. To many disappointments with other stories set in a similar context.

Then I read the first 2 chapters and fell in love with the story. Your characters sprang to life and this story quickly became one that I looked for every day.

And I the loved the scene at the dance! :-)

Janice

It is like I had said,

the wheels of life move ever so slowly, but they keep moving. This last chapter was what I had hopd it would be. The dance images were very vivid, and I could see all the faes looking at Chris as she entered the ballroom. I could see the girls that danced with Chris having a good time. Even Tom and Jerry...LOL...had fun also. Sarah, you have written a very acceptable and real life story of acceptance, love, understanding, and friendship, the most important things we look for in our journey to womanhood. This story is so life like, and the dialogue so real, I felt I was right there with everyone else. This story made me smile chapter after chapter, and I am grateful that you shared it with us. Thank you.

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"With confidence and forebearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

The ending felt a little

The ending felt a little rushed, though it probably wasn't. Could be tat so many things happened and they were packed one on top of another. The Epilogue was lovely and it was nice to see that Chris is going to St. Mary's and that Millie is still with her. That was a lovely bit.

Keep up the good work.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

This has been an amazing

This has been an amazing story, I have tears in my eyes and a huge smile on my face, the end was probably the best possible. :) The only thing I could have wanted to see would have been a longer story, but that might have made it too long.

I wish I would have had the courage Chris have, when I was in school. I hope Chris will have an equally happy life after this story. :) Stories like these have helped me get through a lot of years before I dared to come out. I always wonder what it would have been like to transition before the male hormones destroyed my body. At least a story like this can help you dream and I'm finally on the right path in my life. But it's hard not to wish things would have gone easier, and as I said these stories bring hope and dreams. Some day I might even try to write something myself because this is so inspiring.

Thank you for all your hard work and for sharing this with us. :)

Love
Johanna
=^.^=

Perfect...

A perfect ending to a perfect story. I laughed and cried and laughed again.

Thank you so much for sharing this with me (us).

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja

Boy's School

Nice to see how everything worked out. Will be interesting to see them in a few years down the road too.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Boys' School

This has been such a refreshing story. It is hope and fulfillment wrapped into one. Would dearly love to see another story with the same characters. I've read so many "forced feminization" stories with dour consequences that this really stands out. More, more!

Love
Sharonn

The School's Forced Feminization

In this story's hilarious twist of genre, it's Chris who force-feminizes the school! Well, that is, an all-boys school ends up admitting a few coeds, at least to a few classes. And, we know that's not the end of anything, just the beginning. As Mrs. Pierce said, it is so nice to have some girls around the place.

Pippa nailed it

I never thought of that. Wow.

That's probably the biggest twist you could do to that cliche.
And Sarah pulled it off without catching her breath.

*starts thinking about major twists to other cliches*

- Moni

It's a girls' world; we just let boys live in it.

This story...

I have to say this story probably ranks somewhere in my top five favourite books of all time. And I don't mean just "book-length online fiction", I mean books. Beautiful job.

Boys School

Sarah,

What can I say that hasn’t already been said?

As soon as I started to read it, I was hooked. I loved the detail and the characters that were well rounded and very real.

The build up of Chris’s frustration with himself and his ultimate transformation into a beautiful young lady, almost like a caterpillar miraculously changing into the butterfly that she was always meant to be, was wonderful and very powerful.

The interactions with the teachers who seemed to really care about their pupils was sensitive and well written. The problems that Chris had regarding her parents was very realistically and well painted. Also, thank goodness, for once the lack of bullying at the school made this a pleasant read and a change from the norm.

I sometimes worry about the somewhat formulaic tendency for stories to be transgender boy equals lack of acceptance equals bullying in a school environment. This was a refreshing change for which I applaud the author.

Boys School was one of the increasing numberof stories that I eagerly waited for whenever I go on the site. I was never disappointed with the quality and the authors’ knack of drawing me into wanting more and more.

In short, Boy’s School was a tour de force and one that is a keeper.

Well done Sarah.

Wonderful

Sarah, An excellent story. It brought tears to my eyes when Chris was reunited with her Mom and Dad. The emotional tug was huge. And Millie, a great ending. Thanks and hugs,
Wendy Marie

Wendy Marie

Picking Favorites

It seems silly to try to pick a favorite line out of this story, and I'll probably change my mind several times in the near future, but I've locked onto one particular one right now:

He grinned broadly down at me as we heard the piece begin to play. "Mostly though, Chris. When I'm eighty I'll still be telling folks: 'What do you think I did? I asked him to dance'."

For me, this line captures so much about this story that's wonderful. Tom is not just a friend, he's completely self-confident, respectful, unconditionally accepting, has a great sense of humor, a heroic streak, and an enthusiasm and outright sense of pride in participating in this caper-cum-metamorphosis of Chris'. You gotta love it!

The same, by and large, is true about the bulk of characters who matter in this story. In this scene, though, Tom is the proxy for them all! For me, it's as good a focus for the turning point of the story as any, and very powerful.

Pippa nailed it again

Fine, I'll stop doing this now.

- Moni

It's a girls' world; we just let boys live in it.

10Q...10Q...10Q!!!!

I love it!!! Thanks for the great story!!! It was LOL!!! Lots of Laughs!! and Lots of Love!!!

Hello Sarah!!! ^_____^ ;-D

Everybody else responded to the story very fast before I had a chance to read it and comment myself. I'm glad the Swiss doctor got the boot. This is really a great turn around for everyone. Now if we can just get everyone else see the truth of the matter. I was almost hoping for more details on the ball. I know it was cut short. Then when the Epilogue came next. I had to switch gears to figure out what is going on and whom is talking to whom. I wasn't sure to bite my nails while I was reading this. It moved too fast to think about it.

Well, we will wait patiently for the next story. Have a wonderful week Sarah.
Rachel

You drew me ii.

mikeva
Ive read a lot of great books over the years,all the great authorshave a way of drawing one into the story.You did that for me,thanks for a great read.

-

mikeva

Please, Sarah Lynn, who is Millie?

Please, Sarah Lynn, I am having a “Blonde Moment” and am confused about Millie, who she is (or was) and where she came from.

This is a great story.

In a hazy fog,

Norma

Millie Is..

...a girl from St. Mary's, attending the dance with other girls from St. Mary's, who is taken with an instant crush-love of Chris. (And vice-versa!) She does not appear earlier in the story.

Mrs. Pierce recognizes her, most likely because she's already familiar with her family. She may, for instance, have brothers who are present or former St. Andrews students, or perhaps the families share a social circle.

Mrs. Pierce May Have Met Millie...

Alternately Mrs. Pierce may have met Millie when she visited St. Mary's to review dance preparations. Millie told Chris that she had been involved with teaching her classmates to dance. She would likely have met her when Mrs. Pierce visited St. Mary's.

As far as we know it was love at first sight between Chris and Millie.

Millie and Chris

Okay, I’ll wade in here. This relationship was something that was planned from the first line, but it was also something that from Chris’ perspective happened very fast. Love at first sight.

Millie was a way to resolve some of the crushing loneliness for Chris. Every boy or girl needs their mother, but most of them would also love someone like Millie, who is extraordinary. The problem with telling this more or less from the perspective of Chris, was that you can’t see her coming, because Chris never sees her coming.

What you do know, however, it pretty substantial.

First of all, you know she loves Chris right from the start, and with the confident way she approaches him, she is the type of person who will be strong and supportive. You also know, based on what the other two girls have said to Chris, about her finding him finally, that she has already told her friends exactly how she feels, which is enamored.

Also, in the way she both smiles at the girls good natured teasing of she and Chris, and in the way Millie refers to teaching the other girls to ‘trot’, it’s clear she does feel a little apart from the other girls, even though she deals with it in humor and genuine affection. She is rife for someone to bond to who is also nice and sweet, someone just like Chris.

I have known girls who think that boys who look pretty are very desirable. I even met one who thought a ‘girl’ like Chris was just the most perfect life partner you could have. I can’t speculate if Millie was bisexual, or a lesbian, or just an anime fan who likes boys who are so darned pretty. I only know that she fell in love with Chris the moment she saw him, just as he did with her, and that’s all that mattered to me.

AS for Mrs. Pierce. The name chosen for Millie was kind of important. It’s similar to a real bank on Wall Street that has been remarkable in that it was so well managed it has actually done very well in the recent crisis. If any such young women did exist, she would be wealthy beyond most of our understandings, and in the setting here amongst the adults who have raised the children of these particular families, she would be ‘recognizable.’

So you see, not only would Mrs. Pierce have known Millie from the dance preparations, it is certain sure that any of the people running these schools would be very well aware of exactly who she was. I never thought of the male members of her family going to St. Andrews, but that makes a lot of sense too.

I confess that given the speed with which I posted this, that I didn’t foresee Millie catching people quite so much by surprise. Chris and all of his friends wanted to meet the girls at the dance. As such, the Character of Millie was quite carefully thought out, but like I said, in a story that is mostly first person to Chris, it would really be a different story if it had shifted to other characters perspectives in order to elaborate on such things. Either way though, I just love Millie to pieces. Reason enough for me to torture you poor guys with her!

Thank you everyone. Your responses and support have touched me deeply.

Sarah Lynn Morgan

So, now you're going to write...

Millie's story for us? :-) It doesn't have to be all THAT long, but... :-)

Annette

Yay Millie!

Millie seems like a wonderful girl that I barely got to know before the story was over. I'd love to read more about her if you're willing to share her story with us. :)

Sorry, but...

...as much as I >don't< want to put pressure on anyone, I want to read about her, and more about Chris too, now that she's had her life turned upward again. :-) So, one more "Me too!"

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

WoW - I should not have started this last night ;)

KristineRead's picture

Since, I had to work today, and I did not finish till 4am....

I waited for the final, and read it all night long. God what a long day today was on little to no sleep.

But it was absolutely worth it! Wonderful story! Thanks you Sarah.

Hugs,

Kristy

Great Story!

The magic of TG stories is they can both make you cry and laugh. I cry too often, but when I laugh heartily I rate the read with five stars (*****), my highest rating. It's not a Pulitzer, but it's the best can I offer.
.
It was truly a great read Sarah and I am sure I will be reading it again and again, thank you.
.
.
I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

My oh My

that was some ride! Chris is going to St. Mary's with Millie --and it looks like a mine detector and wire cutters will be a standard issue.

Thank you very much for a very loving story. Too many others have stated ideas that I'm a little too late to say! If you please, this really should be continued, as this couple sounds adorable. (Freddie could also be a story by himself, that's for sure.)

Annie in PA

Annie in PA

WD-40

joannebarbarella's picture

That's what Chris needed for that pesky zip. Stops doors creaking, loosens jammed nuts and bolts, etc, etc. Actually Sarah, I used that as a device to catch your eye after 50+ other people have heaped their superlatives on you and I can only balance mine on top of the pile. Loved it, loved it. I turned on BC on Tuesday morning for a peep before I flew off on business and nearly screamed. There was the finale and I didn't have time to read it, had to rush off to the airport. I was computerless and internetless for 3 days and just got back and first chance I had I read it. Well, you certainly didn't let us down. Beautiful ending and epilogue. While one part of me begs for more I think on balance the best ending would be;

AND THEY LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER

Joanne

this was so lovely

Thanks for this wonderful story. I read it all today and enjoyed it immensely. Chris finally got what a lot of us wished we could have had. Still its great to live a bit of that through great stories like this one.

Thank you very much Sarah Lynn for writing it and sharing it with us.

hugs

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

Memories are made of this

I enjoyed the whole story, there were no flat spots. I have taken a few days to let it settle and even went and read Emily. I liked Chris and hope her spirit comes back to us if even in another story. Take care and thank much for an enjoyable and memorable story.

I am crushed.

I absolutely loved this story!!!!!!!!!! However, it was much to short! How about a sequal? You could tell us more about the teachers at the school, and what happens after Chris left. Maybe explain more about Miss. Lynn.

Again, a great story.
speedycard

speedycard

sorry to see the end

This is without a dought one of if not the best stories I have read and enjoyed inso long , i must say thank you and of course thanks Chris. my only problem is i did not want to see the end come, was hoping to read of more adventures in school for chris aand the staff and studants but guess alll good things do end thanks again

Patty

Wonderful

I have finally arrived at the end of this story. I just wish the story could have been longer, but the ending was just perfect. You write so well. I would like your story(s) to gone on forever. I can't wait for your next effort.

To prolong that last chapter, I stopped reading several times and took my dog out for a walk she didn't need --- three, four, maybe five times. She appreciated the walks, but didn't have a clew why I was being so attentive to her.

Aechel.

Aechel

Awesome ^^

Yes your story was awesome. The ending was great. I could identify with Chris pretty much all the way, except maybe being absurdly rich, or being in an all-boy's school (always been in co-ed public schools, with no uniform requirements) or having residency at school. Notwithstanding not identifying with the circumstances, I could very well identify with the character, the emotions, thoughts etc, even the politeness and shyness.

I never tried ball gowns or been to formals though, so I wouldn't know the first thing about full-length dresses. I've also never worn (or owned) a slip. One thing for sure, I don't like the modern style dresses, be there bridesmaid, wedding, prom...they all scream "sexy", and that's not what I want. I don't want a strapless dress. I don't want a low-cut dress. Even less a cocktail dress. I want a cute dress that's really nicely done, with nice trimmings and stuff, worn with a petticoat and/or a full-slip. Finding those is apparently a nightmare unless you can make them yourself.

Unfortunately I never learned to sew.

Little Sara

What can I say

Thanks Sarah for allowing me to entranced by your beautiful story!

You will always be my favourite TG author.

LoL

Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

X-D

I'm laughing my head off in delight. Thank you once again! :-D

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

Just great!!!!

Pamreed's picture

Oh Sarah you did not disappoint me, the finale was superb!!
I cried and laughed and had a big smile when I was done reading it!!! You snuck in the help for Donna thanks!! No body else who commented seemed to notice. I am so happy for Miss Morgan!!! It is the same I feel when called Ms Reed!!
I am going to be happy all day because of this!!!

Now I am going to have to read more of your work!! And yes you have inspired me to try my hand at writing. I started a story I am calling "My Journey". It starts when I am in my hospital bed recovering from SRS and remembering how I got there. I already see how difficult it is to write. That makes me appreciate your efforts and all the authors here!!

Hugs,
Pamela

Third time through is just as good as the first time.

Sarah,

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the story. As the subject line indicates this it the third time I've read through the story and I enjoyed it just as much as the first two times. Normally I would just click on the vote button but since the code for that is broken I thought I would drop you a note to say thank you. Since I read all 9 parts in one sitting I'm only commenting on the last one to avoid saying the same thing 9 times in a row. Once again I would like to say thank you for your stories. I look forward to reading more from you.

V/r Jeff B.

Thank You

Thank you for sharing your gift with us in the form of this beautiful story. It was very sweet and has become one of my favorites.


Vita est brevis. Occupo quis tripudium vos reperio.
-Life is short. Seize what joy you find.

Brilliant!

Who cares if it's another superlative, I would have jabbed the "Kudos" button multiple times if I could... :)

The setup in this chapter for that final line is magnificent - everyone (parents, teachers, boys, girls) gathering around for the big announcement - and a much more original opening line to the unseen ensuing conversation than directly explaining his feelings. And it's telling that even some of the girls were unsure as to Chris' gender - the "headmaster's granddaughter" comment in particular!

So, skipping forward a couple of terms, and what a lot's happened! Chris' parents have moved to within reasonable commuting distance of the school (presumably dad's also taking a more hands-off approach to running his company), Chris has started at St. Mary's, further developed her relationship with Millie, and even set up a charitable trust to give Donna a hand (and others in similar situations). Then presumably a few weeks after term starts (it's apparent she's already settled into St. Mary's by the time the epilogue starts) some girls at St. Mary's are starting to take a few lessons at St. Andrew's (not mentioned, but I wonder if chemistry is one of them...). It wouldn't surprise me if Chris was somehow involved in getting that arrangement started...

And finally, the comic relief of Freddie - it wouldn't suprirse me if he tries it in a few other lessons before the joke gets really old, really quickly!

Once again, brilliant work! Well done!

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

You are too kind.

Not sure about Brilliant, but it was a fun story for me.

A while back I read in an interview with a famous author, whose name I can’t recall, but who you too would surely recognize. He felt that it is a cardinal sin for any writer to withhold information from the reader. In this story, you know exactly where it’s going from the very first page, which was fun for me, but every time you expect someone to take Chris by the hand, as in so many stories of this type, you blink and find that she’s already a couple of miles up the road you're still looking down.

I particularly liked the moral here too, that no matter how well intended the people who want to look out for you are, sometimes you just have to be the author of your own story if it’s ever to get to where you need it to go. Big steps or small, it's only your own two feet can get you where you are going.

Thank you, Mittfh. May your own journey be at least as kind.

Sarah Lynn

This is one of my favorite

This is one of my favorite stories here in the BCTS and I agree with mittfh. This is a brilliant story.

Hugs,
Andrea

I have to commend the authoress on a great storyline

this was a story that needed telling and you've done a wonderful job telling it. I'll bet if we ever got around and did some detective work, we'd actually find a real life story simular. the fact I bring this up is I found it that good.
I only found one minor hitch (for me at least) was just how Richard was spending his summers and not discovering anything - aka it sorta implied he was father part of time,but the question never answered. It's a minor detail, but with all the emphasis on not being with parents on christmas, it left me wondering about all the other breaks one has in a school year.

great story & I'll recomend to anyone I know that deal with topics.

(smiles)

Boys School Finale

It has been an excellent story from the beginning. A story
about a boy attending an all boys school who starts a journey
of discovery and finds romance and love.

When he meets Millie at the dance she knows his name and has
been looking for him. They have a lot in common. She has
taught the girls to dance and Chris has helped the boys to
learn to dance. She has a protective attitude towards Chris
and it appears her name carries some influence. It is the start
of a love story.

Good isn't enough. There should be a "GREAT STORY" button.

Ole Ulfson's picture

Sarah,

You're amazing! The story, characterization, and execution are perfect. You are right up to par with many of my favorite mainstream authors. I see bits of Robert B. Parker, Stuart Woods and W.E.B. Griffin in your writings.

A SUPERB story!!! You've done what an author should: A step forward, then an obstacle, obstacle overcome, another step forward then another conflict, and so on. No conflict; no fiction! Another requirement of a good story is that the protagonist changes/grows during the story. He does! And thank you for not revealing the resolution until the last chapter.

A NOTE TO READERS: If, like me, you sometimes check the comments before reading a story or author, SARAH LINN MORGAN is among the best on this or any other site or, indeed, in an the bookstores! DO yourself a favor: READ HER STORIES!

'nuff Said,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

What can one say?

Loved the story, especially the humorous touches.

Thank you very much for such an enjoyable read.

Hugs and Kisses

a wonderful story

Sarah, I loved your story. Your style of writing caught me and held me through the entire story. I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next.
I wish I were smaller as I would love to wear one of the Victorian,Edwardian gowns with all the trimmings
Hugs,
Stephanie

Stephanie xoxo

Boys' School...

...A very good story; I like how time is taken to savor new experiences.

Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Laughing all the way

Teek's picture

I love the humor in this. The story is just over 200 pages long, and I hardly noticed the length. You had me going the whole way.

Thanks.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Favorite.....

Just finished reading AGAIN, and, wanted to comment that it is one of my favorite stories, and, you are one of my favorite authors.
Your writing is wonderful and your character development outstanding.
Thank you so much for sharing your talent.

Wonderful Story Telling

BarbieLee's picture

Sarah Lynn Morgan has a perfect sense of how to handle her characters and bring them to life. The little innuendoes tossed in as one liners were above class act. Such a simple story told a thousand times of a boy who wore a dress but it was from a fresh perspective. Never once did this story lose my attention as it was paced perfectly to the very end.
She has the gift of a true story teller from someone who has experienced life and brought that knowledge to her writing.

always,
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Boys school

Once again a beautiful evocative story of a lonely boy finding himself and having the courage to act on it.
I loved the dialogue especially between the school leaders and the students.
It was a warm and loving story
Thanks again Sarah Lyn for another wonderful tale.

Alexi

Alexinu

Happy I read this

Beoca's picture

A comment on another story lead me to this one, and I am happy it did. A fun tale that was well worth the time spent reading it. Well done, Sarah!

This blew me away

Another excellent story from a brilliant author who has an uncanny talent to make me feel. Wry at first, the tale turns into a wild ride, then into a heartfelt and dramatic expression of a heart's desire. It's a story that pulls the reader in different directions. Towards the end, I felt like a sunshower must feel, grinning and sniffling simultaneously.

Chris is a nexus of opposing forces. He remains Chris even as his switch flips into girl mode, he's bold and uncertain, foolish but smart, rich yet poor. He follows his heart on his own terms but with consideration, and hides the truth but is never dishonest. He's a crazy beautiful boy in a crazy beautiful story.

I want to read it again right now, but I struggled today due to lack of sleep (it was worth it though), so I'll have to wait for the weekend. Thanks again, Ms. Morgan!

Wow

Loved this story Thank you so much

MICKIE

Several excellent twists & turns ...

and the number of similar 'excellent / wonderful story' comments means I can only echo what has already been said.
An interesting spin-off might be how the five other nearly-girls coped once they left school?!
Thanks
AP

Many new readers

From all the comments I see that so many have found the nice story. I had to go back to the earlier published story to see that you had not changed it. I still remember the laugths and tears that your story brought me when I red it. I think it was back in 2005 or so. The story is still as moving as it was back then.
Ginnie

GinnieG

Magic, sheer magic...

I felt the words dancing through my mind and my heart. They were a great comfort and counter point to my wifemates harsh and cruel words of yesterday. thank you for sharing your particular brand of magic with us on here. T.

I am a Proud mostly Native American woman. I am bi-polar. I am married, and mother to three boys. I hope we can be friends.

Oh Captain, my Captain

Lucy Perkins's picture

Just to add to the chorus of approbation at this wonderful wonderful tale....
I have never been educated in an exclusive school, my only experience of such establishments is from enjoying "Dead Poet's Society" and yet this story grabbed me and completely took over my waking thoughts for a good week.
Perfect after the week I have had, and perfect too as a lovely story of redemption and love, one to make a sad middle-aged person sob into her morning coffee....
Thank You.
Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Loved it!

RobertaME's picture

Just wanted to write and let you know that even more than a decade after you published this story that people are still loving what you have crafted here. I absolutely ADORED the final chapter! Millie was SO cute the way she instantly clung to Chris... it reminded me of my lovely wife and the way she stuck to me and with me from the very first day we met. Brava! You've made a fan of your wonderful work. Thanks for all that you've done!

Happy ever after!

Glenda98's picture

That was an incredible feat tying up all the loose ends and a very happy conclusion. One of the sweetest stories I ever read. I could have wished for more but I think you got it right. I hope that there was an official photographer at the ball so Chris has a fond momento of dancing in the beautiful dress. Many thanks Sarah Lynn for a wonderful tale.

Glenda Ericsson

Oh, this was such fun!

I enjoyed this one very much, and the sense of humor had me laughing out loud frequently. Chris is a hoot! So very different from Samantha, you have such wonderful range.

I had never read this story before…….

D. Eden's picture

Until I recently saw it in a list of recommendations from Karen Page, who happens to be one of my favorite authors. Soooooooo………. I decided to look it up and read it.

Lo and behold, once I started reading it I couldn’t stop! What a truly wonderful story, even if it did have me crying repeatedly for the main character.

Chris was an unbelievably well developed and real character. Miss Lynn was also a good character - but I kind of expected to see more of her in the latter chapters. Mrs. Pierce was a revelation, and the true hero of the story. She seemed to be more of a mother to Chris than administrative head of the school. Reading how the author wrote her reminded me of a lioness protecting her cub. The indignance she showed at the way Chris was abandoned by his parents, how she protected and cared for Chris, and especially her reaction to the doctor on the phone……..

She made the story as much as Chris. Add in the comic relief from Freddie, especially at the end of the story, and you have a real hit on your hands. The kind of story that you are sorry to see end!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus