Whatever happened to Aaron Smith? - Chapter 7 of 19

Printer-friendly version

ajs.jpg

"Ma'am, I take it that Anne-Jeanette wasn't supposed to be sparring with me?"

"Sparring?"

"Basically it was test fighting."

"That elbow to the face you threw at my daughter didn't look like practice."

"Mom!" I said, the embarrassment flooding to my face.

"Ma'am, Let me first assure you that your daughter was perfectly safe. I am in full control and would have pulled it had she not moved. I teach this for a living."

"What is your name?"

"Felipe DesJardin."

"Well, Felipe, I thought Anne-Jeanette only went in here to look around."

"She said that Shawn Harris sent her."

"Don't you remember when we first saw him in the hospital, Mom?"

Mom took a deep breath, calming herself before she continued, "Well, is she good enough for you?"

"Truth be told? No, and not because of her skill. She's too short."

"What?!" I couldn't believe it. I was being turned down because of my size.

"MMA is a cash business, Anne-Jeanette. That means that without customers, the fight doesn't happen. People want to see two people who are visually similar fighting. Overt underdogs are for performance art like professional wrestling."

I wasn't going to argue with him over whether so called professional wrestling was real as I'd never personally watched it. I accepted his statement and let him move on.

"You're good, Anne-Jeanette, but I wouldn't feel right putting you in a ring with anyone else. You have a lot of natural talent, and some training. Tell you the truth, given a couple of years and you might equal me in skill.

"So, I have a proposition for you."

"What sort of a proposition?" my mom asked.

"A job offer. As I mentioned to your daughter my self-defense instructor is on her honeymoon. Now, I don't know how good Anne-Jeanette would be as a teacher, but I'd like to at least try her out with a couple of personal training sessions. If it works out then I'd like her to teach the class while the regular instructor is gone.

"Her experience with street fighting, if Shawn is to be believed, will give her an advantage with the types of situations that the women she will be teaching are likely to encounter."

"Don't you think Shawn can be trusted?" I was a little worried at this. Felipe had known Shawn a lot longer than I had.

"He has a tendency to be a little...over enthusiastic where women are concerned."

I blushed.

"I can tell that you do have some skills, but like I said, I need to see if you can teach as well. The next self-defense class is Saturday morning, so if I'm going to have you sit in on one of my personal training sessions we only have two days."

"Can I, mom?"

I don't know why, but the thought of teaching fighting really excited me. This was what I was passionate about, after all. And if I could help other women so that they never had to feel as helpless as I had in the past...

Yes, I was still broken in places, but they didn't have to know that.

"We're trying to get you out of this life, AJ."

"What life? Mom, I am good at this. I'm really good. I stood my own against eight people who outweighed me and had a much longer reach."

"You got arrested for that."

"But I didn't get killed. Mom, I love this, okay? It is the only thing that makes me feel alive. I'm trying to use it to find a real reason to live."

The blood drained from my mom's face, and I shut my mouth. I wanted to tell her more about what fighting meant to me, but at this point it just wasn't appropriate.

"I need this, mom. I need to know that something I've devoted my life to can build instead of destroy."

She threw her arms around me and just hugged me. I held back my tears, but only barely. I could feel my mom sobbing into my shoulder.

"AJ, I'll let you do this. Please, be careful. I don't want you hurt. Promise me?"

"I promise, mom."

"Okay, Felipe, what do I have to do? How do I authorize my daughter to work with you?"

"Just get her here tomorrow at four."

"I'll be here, Felipe."

.-.. .. -. . -... .-. . .- -.-

They got me into Victoria's Secret, which is not something I'm going to share with you. I wouldn't walk around in nothing but my underwear, so don't expect me to parade through these pages in nothing but the same.

They got me in some skirts, and then we tried on formal dresses for the fun of it.

Strangely, I started to enjoy my time trying on clothing. It was more fun watching my friends parading their clothing, but I enjoyed my turn on the catwalk.

We ended up stopping by the car a couple more times, and by the time we were done, I was in a comfortable thick strap tank dress. It was a pretty olive color in a loose cut. I wore a white t-shirt under it.

Dad said he wanted me modest after all. I was fine with that, as I wasn't really ready to show off my body for everyone yet.

I wore a pair of white leggings underneath it. Sure, the hair I had on my body was fine, but it was noticeable when I wore that dress.

The white and olive didn't look too bad, and it actually made me look a little less pale, at least I thought so.

I kept the leggings on under most of the skirts and dresses we tried, and by the end I'd decided that I didn't like shopping. Sure, I loved watching the others try on clothing, but I wanted clothing that fit the first time I tried it on, had colors that complemented my complexion and hair color, and did not want to have to try it on. In short, I wanted my mom to make my clothing.

Sure, in any other situation, that would make me the kid everyone laughed at.

In this situation it would likely make me the envy of every other girl in my class.

We bought both Kelly and Jasmine a number of new outfits, and they were happy to spend the time.

"Mom, I think it's about time to call this trip done."

"Okay, Anne-Jeanette."

"But we haven't even gotten halfway through the mall."

"Kelly, I love you, but this isn't for me. Too much time doing nothing."

"AJ, you sit in your room for hours staring at the ceiling," my mom said.

"Actually, mom, I lie on my bed for hours, but realize that I'm itching to do something even then. Although, the changing light, and the ever changing scene outside my window is enough to hold my attention. No two days are ever truly the same..."

Jasmine looked at me strangely as I was talking about the view from my window. I'd have to figure out what was going on in that mind of hers, and sooner rather than later.

"Well, AJ, we'll see you at school tomorrow," Kelly said, "Jasmine will give me a ride home, so..."

I gave each of them a hug, and got in the car with my mom.

"At some point, and soon, we need to teach you to drive, AJ."

"Mom, not this argument again."

"Well, if you'd just learn to drive, there'd be no argument."

"I like having you or dad drive me. And anywhere you won't take me I can walk or ride the bus."

"Yes, but wouldn't you like the freedom of your own car?"

"And the hassle of keeping the tank full, and worrying about registration, and paying for tickets...it's just not for me, mom."

"Well, hopefully, someday, you'll realize that everyone should know how to drive."

"Maybe I'll just take up bicycle riding."

My mom snorted at me, "As long as it's not motorcycle riding, then I'm fine with whatever solution that you come up with. Just realize that a bicycle saddle will be uncomfortable after any sort of surgery down there."

"Then, while I'm recovering, I'll just have you or dad drive me."

Mom just shook her head at me, and I stared out the window as we drove.

.-.. .. -. . -... .-. . .- -.-

The next morning, I decided it was about time I took my new self-image out for a spin.

The first thing I did was shave. Still nothing on my face; at this point I doubted I would ever have facial hair. My legs took me a little while, and I got a couple of nicks. They weren't anything serous, and almost before I knew it my legs were smooth and clean.

Next it was a simple matter to get on my under things and pick out something to wear.

I went with a skirt and a peasant top today. While I expected to feel something after putting on my clothing, it just felt like clothing to me. Sure, it was different material that I was used to in my everyday life, but it was just clothing.

Next, it was time to put on some makeup. I still had the supplies that Kelly left with me, so I set to work trying to get my look perfect.

It would take me a little while to get 'perfect' unfortunately, and I settled for good enough. Every time I cleaned it all off and started over again, I went with a lighter covering until even I could barely tell they were there, and I knew exactly where to look.

Enhancement is all I was worried about at that point, and they did their job. I smiled every time I saw my earrings in the mirror. It's silly, I know, but those two little bits of base metal seemed to improve my mood more than most of what I was doing this morning.

I asked AJ to wish me luck, and then logged into my first class of the day.

Whatever I was expecting to happen, it wasn't what did happen. At the end of my first class, and while we were waiting for the people physically at the school to change classes, I got a couple of requests for private chats with some of the guys in my classes.

I couldn't even tell I was wearing makeup, and I know that most of my outfit would be out of the camera range, since we were required to keep the camera focused on our faces for school, but somehow I was attracting attention.

I really didn't want to be rude, so I tried to give each of the boys a little time, but that only seemed to encourage them. By the end of my third period the number of people requesting chat sessions with me had hit values that even I couldn't believe. I didn't have the time to chat with even a few of them, so I decided that this had to stop.

Linking them all into a single session, I began to speak before any of them had a chance to realize what had happened, "I really appreciate that you all want to spend time with me in chat, but I don't have time right now to talk to all of you. Thank you for your attentiveness and thank you for making me feel really special today. I needed it more than I knew."

I probably shouldn't have ended with an air kiss, but I did and signed off before anyone could respond.

Jasmine cornered me before Chemistry started, "Dang, girl, what did you do?"

"Not much, really."

"There are guys talking about you in every class I've had today. We've already had warnings about inappropriate chatter."

"Apparently all I needed to do was dress like a girl and wear makeup."

"Or, it's your earrings."

"What?"

"They're picked up really well in the camera, and for some reason they're glowing a little bit. It's really strange and pretty at the same time. Probably has the male libido going in overdrive."

I blushed hotly and looked down. What was I supposed to do now? I didn't want the new holes in my head to close up, but wearing these for the next couple of weeks was beginning to feel like it might be torture. I loved these earrings though.

"Look, AJ, you're a pretty girl. Sure, it took a little jolt for the guys to really realize it, but this was going to happen regardless."

"I'm...pretty?"

"If you weren't my friend, I'd be so jealous of you right now. I only call you pretty to keep from wanting to send my huntsman out to kill you in the woods."

"First Rapunzel, then Cinderella, now you're placing me in the role of Snow White. What is it with you people and your need to cast me in the role of a fairy tale princess."

"You are a princess, Anne-Jeanette. You picked the princess name for yourself. Your parents are rich..."

"They're not rich. We're just well off."

"Anne-Jeanette, I've talked to Kelly. You have a quarter mile drive from your front gate to your house. You have a movie theater!"

"But we only have two rooms."

"From what I hear your house is huge. Who cares if you don't have tons of rooms? You have tons of room."

"But there's no formal garden out back."

"Okay, I don't have any answer for that. Regardless, you aren't hurting, Princess Anne-Jeanette."

Mr. Smoot broke into our conversation at this point, "Ladies, if you'll please join the rest of the class, we're ready to begin."

"Sorry, Mr. Smoot."

There was no visit from Shawn today, for which I was exceptionally disappointed, but I survived.

.-.. .. -. . -... .-. . .- -.-

"Anne-Jeanette! You look so much more...I don't even know how to describe it."

"It's probably the earrings. They seem to have attracted the attention of all the boys in school today."

"So they made comments about your earrings?"

"Well, not as such, but they did talk to me more than usual. I actually had to ask them to stop sending me requests for personal chat sessions."

"You liked the attention though?"

"Yes, I did. I like being noticed. My friend said I was pretty today."

I think Mr. Reiss picked up on an unstated feeling because he simply sat there and waited.

"I like being noticed, but I don't really believe that I'm pretty. I'm more willing to believe that it was the jewelry that caught attention than that they really want to speak to me personally."

"Anne-Jeanette, you need to realize something. No, you are not classically beautiful. Your nose is crooked, and you've got a few small scars on your face and neck. Your ears are too big, and your mouth is too small. But you knew all of that already.

"You won't ever be beautiful, but you might eventually be considered gorgeous."

"I don't understand."

"You are unique, AJ. You have a presence that draws people to you. They'll blame it on your clothing, or your jewelry, or your hair, because they'll never admit that your personality captured them. They'll overlook your supposed flaws because they can't call you plain, and they just don't know why."

I blushed and smiled at his words. "Is it entirely professional that you're saying this?"

"Yes, because all I'm doing is stating the facts. You're not my type, anyway."

"Really?"

"I like my men with muscles."

I couldn't help myself and laughed. There was a wackiness to Mr. Reiss that I was only just now starting to recognize.

"Also, you remember, I told you yesterday that I am recording all of our sessions. This keeps me honest and protects both of us. The only other alternative is to have someone sit in on all of our sessions, and you didn't want that."

I shuddered at the thought. No, I didn't want to tell my parents all of the things that I'd told Mr. Reiss.

I talked to him about Shawn after that, but he didn't have any good advice for me on that front. We finished up the session and it was time to head over to the mall for my first personal training session.

I'd packed a bag with some workout clothing that I'd picked up yesterday, including a sports bra that fit properly, and left it in the car during my session with Mr. Reiss.

I arrived at the gym with about ten minutes to spare.

"Get changed and meet me in training room three," Felipe said as I walked through the door.

"Hello to you too, Felipe."

He just smiled at me and I went into the postage stamp that they called a women's locker room. This was one of the larger spaces at the mall, and they were shoehorned in here. I wondered why they didn't move to another, larger, location.

I was dressed in my black shorts and white tee and into training room three in about five minutes. I was surprised to see that there was already another man in the room with Felipe.

"AJ, I'd like you to meet William."

I shook his hand. He looked me up and down in an appraising manner.

"What can she teach me? She is so small."

"First, I can tell you that you stand with your legs too far apart, but then most men do. It leaves you open to a primary target strike."

"I always thought that a body blow was a primary target strike."

"In a ring, maybe, or on the exhibition floor. In a real fight, you want to put your opponent down as quickly as possible, and if one well-placed kick or punch will do it, then you take that strike."

"Well, I don't think..."

I snapped out a kick to the primary target. I kicked him in the thigh just below the area we'd been talking about to let him know I was there.

"What in the hell do you think you're doing?"

"Proving my point."

"Listen, little girl..."

"William, you can call me Anne-Jeanette, AJ, or Teacher. I don't like being disrespected, and I hate pet names."

"Yes, AJ. I understand."

"You're not going to crush anything if you keep your legs closer together. All you have to remember is that your thighs don't have to touch, they just have to make the passage of foot sized objects impossible."

We went over basics for another half an hour, and then got into some slow sparring. I could tell that he had some skills, but that he was unpracticed.

I made use of Felipe for some faster-paced demonstrations. It was only after about forty minutes that I realized I never asked what we were supposed to be training.

While William was practicing some improvised katas, I pulled Felipe aside.

"What were we supposed to be training him in? I just realized I never asked." I began to blush as I said this.

"You've done well. William thinks he has what it takes to become a professional MMA fighter. Learning your style of 'anything goes all out fighting' will help him to understand that sometimes it takes more than money to do something."

"But, won't that hurt him when he gets in the ring?"

"Only if I ever allow him in the ring. At his present rate of progress, I expect him to be ready in five to ten years."

We went back to William after this, and spent the rest of his hour session speeding him up. He was so slow in all of his motions.

"William, you really need to realize that fights aren't like you see in the movies, where every blow is telegraphed so that they can be seen. Here, I'm going to use Felipe to demonstrate."

I knew some of his tricks, since I'd sparred with him yesterday, so I showed him some of mine. I felt alive and laughed a bit as we got into it.

"Damn, Teacher, you're scary. I wouldn't want to run into you in a dark alley."

"Don't worry, I only beat up bigots." It was a half truth, but who cares?

"See you next week, William," Felipe said.

"As long as I get my normal session with you, Felipe. She is too intense for me."

I blinked at him, but let it go. I was barely beginning to sweat. He was drenched. I'd been moving at least as much as he did today.

"So, how'd I do," I asked Felipe after William had changed and left.

"I still want to see you here tomorrow, but I think you might just work out. You are able to explain everything you know in a way that at least William can understand. Tomorrow, I have a savateur who is trying to get some experience fighting people using other styles. Since your style is the most other I know, I thought it would be a good experience."

"Savateur?"

"Means he practices savate. Savate is a French martial art that uses kicks and punches."

"So, it's like Muay Tai?"

"Not so much. Savateurs always wear shoes, and aren't allowed to strike with their knees or shins."

"Okay, interesting. Well, see you tomorrow then."

"Good night, AJ. See you tomorrow."

up
197 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Since nobody else has commented yet

I'll just say this is great so far.

It's also nice seeing the way you laid out the fight training scenes. I often feel annoyed when reading stories with fighting because the authors get so caught up in making it cinematic. "Flying crane kick" this or "monkey sumo super-punch" or whatever, naming moves without thinking about the real point of a fight, ending it as quickly as possible. AJ's style does exactly that, and it's something refreshing to see.

I might get your help in the future with fight scenes in Switcheroo, if the quality of these ones stays up :P

Melanie e.

Perspective

I was bullied a lot in junior high. By the time I got to high school, however, something changed: the bullies had developed a healthy fear of me.

I do not say this with pride, but with shame. I got in a lot of fights in junior high school. Nothing on par with AJ, but bad none the less. I only ever lost one fight, and that was because I was getting cocky and picked a fight with someone bigger and meaner than me. I was tall but scrawny. That was my one and only concussion.

Ramble aside, having actually been in fights for my health, if not my life, I have a different perspective than people who have only seen fights by other people. I talk about motions of bodies, because that is what I remember.

I was facing 12 to one odds in elementary

and junior high. needless to say, I lost those "fights". I probably could have held my own given anywhere like decent odds, but that was never the style of the kind of people who picked on me.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

I am enjoying this series

I just want to let you know, I have really been enjoying this series. I rush to read the next part as soon as I see it on the site. AJ is so refreshing a character.

Morse Code?

So, OK you have something on your scene dividers that looks like Morse Code, but I can only get a few letters. What's up?

-.- .... .- -.. .. .--- .- .... :)

Me too...

I was thinking (wondering) the same thing. But I had no idea if it was morse code or braille.

it says

Line Break. Loving this story too. :)

Morse Code

I wondered how long it would take someone to recognize this one. I was seriously considering creating an ARG at one point. This is similar one of the tricks I was thinking of using in one of the puzzle pages.

HTML limits displayed white space. But, the source of the page preserves it. Because HTML requires a < br > to denote a new line, you can actually set up codes using the HTML. Vertical text is my favorite. Ending the lines at different points lines up the code different in the HTML.

Regardless, the proper Morse code spacing is in the HTML, and as Sheri stated, it is LINE BREAK. Well, it is an approximation of the proper spacing. :)

And for the uninitiated, or less geeky than me, ARG stands for Alternate Reality Game. The simplest forms of these games are a single web site. The site itself is set up as if it were a real web site, but the information there differs from what you can expect on a real world site. Companies that don't exist. Political situations that never were. Basically, the site is a real fiction.

Clues to the game are spread through the site, it's code, and even in the pictures on the site.

Well crafted ARGs can even include phone calls and locations in the physical world.

Huh?

I checked online and found a different translation. First, there are only codes for 8 defined characters in the line break so...NOT "LINE BREAK." Second, standard Morse Code translates it as, "kadijah"

Pulling one over on us, are you?

SuZie

SuZie

Strange

According to the online translator, ".-.. .. -. . -... .-. . .- -.-" is "linebreak" in the Morse. Aren't you the one pulling one over us SuZie? :P

Faraway

P.S. No, you aren't. Apparently you mistakenly have taken Morse signature that Khadijah used in her post, instead of the line break in the actual story.


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

No leg pulling here.

The line break dots and dashes were originally: -.- .... .- -.. .. .--- .- .... which is what Gwen Brown posted above. Someone edited this chapter and changed that. I've looked back and the code for "line break" is in at least one earlier chapter, but I swear I didn't just take Gwen's word for it. I looked at the chapter and saw those dots and dashes. Honest!

SuZie

SuZie

Or maybe, to keep this chain going

I was--just possibly--lazy and used Gwen's little moniker, thinking that it was the same as what I'd seen up in the chapter!

SuZie

SuZie

To tell the truth

I made the same assumption, and I put the line breaks in the story :)

I've found that, as a rule

I've found that, as a rule of thumb, as a writer's output increases, the quality decreases. You, my friend, are breaking that rule. You're pumping this story out at an amazing pace, yet the standard is staying consistently high.

Bravo!

Lora123falle.jpg

Whatever happened to Aaron Smith? - Chapter 7 of many

Like the way that she is opening up. All that she needed was this chance. Now, she will one day soar like an eagle.

l

Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Pearl of many facets

This story sat in the menu for the longest while - I didn't start reading it til this episode was posted - I wasn't sure I would like the way it was moving - sort of not another forced to be a girl thing -
I read a few comments and they were very positive so I thought I'd give it a go - I read from the beginning to here in one go - and I have to say - it's moving forward very well - I like the people and the writing style too.

Thank you.

Jennifer Christine

This stoyr, um story is on my don't miss list

Chapter seven was a quieter one but I suspect it sets things up for later -- IE her teaching self defence, her emerging womanhood and sexuality. Will she will fall for the handsome Shawn or ...? And will she find a way to make amends to those she fought with, at least the ones who didn't deserve it.

-- grin ---

And there is her growing relation with her mother that sure looks like may lead to her being a fashion model for her mom's clothing.

I love how the child is trying to take the fighting, a negative, and turn it into a positive.

I worry she won't get her needed opperation before she is outed.

But still she is a fighter in the good sense of that so she will suceed... probably. Even be a mother someday.

How we get their only our writer knows.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Stance

While what AJ says about standing with legs close together makes a sort of sense, it is in fact very poor balance wise - a stance involving presenting as little front as possible - with one leg to the front and the other behind with the angles designed to be stable and allow good mobility is ideal. Standing in the manner described to William will end up with you being easy to push over.

I still like this story though.

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

Stance

It is possible to bring in your knees, especially in a more crouched posture, without loss of balance, especially if you drop your center of gravity.

Unfortunately, all I can do is give the basics of the description here, and it would be better if I was knees, and not legs. As far as twisting your hips in relation to your target, then you are going to loose some of the strength in your punch, which should start in your hips. Using your full body to punch gives you more strength and prevents self-inflicted injury.

Mostly what you're describing, though, is a style issue, and not an absolute. Simply accept that the author sucks at describing what she was trying to describe, but that it works in real world situations and has been put to the test.