Perspectives: 18

Printer-friendly version

Josie

Introducing Josie’s voice
Perspectives:
a novel with eight voices

by Louise Anne Smithson

Josie — sister of Jenny (Saturday 30th July 2011)

In retrospect, I was quite pleased that the others had accepted the invitation from those lads, as we all had a good time on Saturday morning. It was also nice to put on my costume once again and I’m getting used to the different feel of the clothes. The high heels still make my calves ache, but they do make my legs look so nice. I’m even getting used to the new plumbing arrangements down below, and now think nothing of having to sit down to go to the loo like the others. Likewise, I wasn’t unhappy when Jenny suggested that Karen and I should share a room since she seems more empathetic towards me than the other two. She also seems to treat me just like any other of her friends and I like that. Once I’d got over the bout of nerves yesterday evening, I told myself that I would forget about Joe and his problems until we returned to Crawley, and rather concentrate on enjoying myself as Josie for the weekend. So far it seems to have worked very well.

We stuck around with Tom and his friends for most of Saturday morning and must have posed for hundreds of photographs both individually and in groups. We were also photographed by the organisers of the convention, who wanted to add our pictures to their website. They were quite a lively group of lads, but nobody tried anything on, or made me feel uncomfortable, so when they suggested that we should meet again after lunch none of us had any objections. We found Mum and Aunt Jean in their room at 1.00pm, having just returned from their shopping trip.

‘So, what are you planning on doing this afternoon girls?’ asked Aunt Jean over lunch.

‘We haven’t finished going round the stalls yet,’ said Karen.

‘Are you going to continue to be dressed as the ‘Spice Girls’?’ asked Mum.

‘It’s ‘Angelica’ if you don’t mind, and since most other people seem to be wearing their costumes from last night, I don’t see why we shouldn’t stay as we are until it is time for us to get ready for this evening,’ said Jenny.

Sue and Karen both agreed with the suggestion

‘What about you Josie, is that alright with you?’ asked Mum.

‘I suppose so,’ I answered, ‘as long as the others remember that I am only gradually getting used to walking in these high heels.’

‘Well at least you won’t have to wear high heels for the 1890s fashion parade this evening, they didn’t wear them in the 1890s,’ said Karen.

‘I know but I am not looking forward to having to wear that corset,’ I replied.

‘Remember that you will need some extra time to get yourselves ready for tonight, so I suggest that you should come back to your rooms to get showered by about 5.00pm.’ said Aunt Jean

‘Alright then,’ said Karen.

‘Carol and I have agreed between ourselves that I will help Josie to get herself ready tonight and she will help the rest of you.’

Jenny and the twins had already received advice from Aunt Jean about their makeup and knew what to do with their respective hair styles and so there was no argument. The others got up to leave, but I waited behind for a minute.

‘Aunt Jean I’m not sure whether I am up to entering the competition as an individual tonight; it was different last night because then I was part of a team.’

She smiled and took my hand.

‘Josie, of course it is up to you to decide but if you were alright last night, then I’m sure you will be fine again tonight. In fact we’re all looking forward to seeing you wearing Denise’s dress this evening. Believe me, by the time I’ve finished with you tonight you will look so lovely that you will make all the other competitors jealous, so please say that you’ll enter.’

She said it with such conviction, that I felt I could hardly refuse.

‘Alright then, if you’re sure I will be alright’.

‘Is there any way you could come back an hour earlier than the others, I should like to wash your hair and then put it up in rollers before I try to style it?’

‘I could always make the excuse that my feet ache and come up to your room at 4.00pm,’ I replied

‘Good, please do that and I’ll see you then’.

Two hours later I knocked at the door of Mum and Aunt Jean’s room. They were both in and appeared to have been discussing some documents that Mum had downloaded from the internet.

‘Before you come in Josie I’d like you to go and change out of your existing clothes and just put on a dressing gown and slippers,’ she said. When you’ve done so bring all your clothes for tonight to this room.

I did as instructed, returning five minutes later.

‘Carol, as I said, I’ve something special in mind for your daughter this evening and so I wonder whether Josie and I might have exclusive use of this room for the next hour or so?’

‘Alright then, replied Mum appearing a little surprised. ‘I’ll take my things through to Josie and Karen’s room and get ready there.’

Five minutes later she’d left us.

Getting ready for the previous night had taken forty-five minutes, but this was nothing compared to what Jean had in store for me.

‘Once you’ve showered and washed your hair, you can put on your knickers, bra and a bathrobe for the time being. I,know that bras didn’t exist in the Edwardian period, but you can change again later,’ she said.

I had to take care to avoid getting the tape holding my penis in place from getting wet. I then dressed as instructed and sat down in a chair in front of the mirror. Aunt Jean started to put large rollers into my hair, before covering it with the hood of a hairdryer.

‘Whilst your hair is drying we’ll have another look at your finger nails,’ she said pushing back the cuticles, and then replacing my nail polish with a delicate shade of pink.

She then made a start on my complexion, using a variety of creams, powders and wands to create an even tone

‘I’m now going to have to shape your eyebrows a little’ she said.

‘Be careful, remember I’ll need to go back to looking like Joe soon,’ I cautioned.

Worst luck, I thought to myself, but of course didn’t say so.

‘Don’t worry Josie, the changes I do make won’t be too obvious.’

‘I should also like to stick on of some false eyelashes, but don’t worry they are not the kind that will make you look like a drag queen’.

‘How will I get them off?

‘If you leave them in place they will probably stay on for about a week and then come off in the shower, but I can take them off for you whenever you want. If you wish I will do so when I come to remove your breast forms and hair extensions’.

‘Alright then, I suppose I’m in your hands,’ I said.

Before we do your hair, I think it’s time for you to put on your Edwardian style underclothes and get used to wearing the corset. ‘I am afraid it will feel constricting for a while, but you will get used to it,’ she commented as she pulled at the laces.

‘But Aunt Jean I can’t breathe’

‘Take short breaths for now, you’ll gradually get used to it in half an hour or so’.

I sat very still whilst Aunt Jean expertly made up my face and eyes and then piled up my hair into an elaborate hair style incorporating some flowers and ribbons. As I looked in the mirror I was amazed at the gradual transformation that was taking place in front of me. Eventually she helped me to put on the dress and the matching shoes and finally added a necklace, bracelet and some earrings of pink garnet.

‘Can you breathe ok now?’ asked Aunt Jean.

‘Yes, just about’ I answered.

‘How about the shoes?’

‘I can’t say that they are comfortable, but I expect I’ll be able to cope with them for this evening, and they do look nice’

‘Alright then, you can come and admire yourself in the wardrobe mirror’.

I stood looking at myself in amazement. Everything about my face looked just right, from my long eyelashes and shaped eyebrows, my beautiful complexion and elaborate hair style and beautiful earrings dangling from my earlobes. I then admired my shapely figure and beautiful dress.

‘Well, young lady, so what do you think of yourself?’

‘I think I look lovely, thank you very much’ I said.

‘So do I’ added Aunt Jean. ‘I must say that I’m rather proud of my efforts this evening. So let’s now go and see how the others have been getting on.’

Each of the others had made an effort to look her best and had acquired an Edwardian style costume of sorts, but no-one could compete with me in that beautiful satin dress and little pink flowers in my hair.

‘Josie, you look unbelievable,’ said Karen when she caught sight of me. ‘Denise will be absolutely delighted when she sees the pictures.’

‘I am afraid none of us will stand any chance in the competition now,’ commented Sue ruefully.

‘I suppose we only have ourselves to blame, for bringing her here in the first place,’ added Jenny.

However I got the impression that they were also quite pleased for me.

‘It is alright for you three, but I can barely breathe in this corset,’ I commented.

‘Good! It will teach you an object lesson. If you are going to look so beautiful you must be prepared to accept some discomfort,’ said Jenny laughing.

Mum came in at that point, having changed her own dress for the evening. She took one look at me and audibly gasped.

‘You look absolutely gorgeous dear. I’m really proud to have two such lovely daughters’.

Next time: Josie’s triumph
up
180 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

PERSPECTIVE 18

I have been reading this story since part #1 ,,, it and BULLETS & LIPSTICK on SUNDAYS . . . LIKE IVORY SOAP is 99.44% PURE ... I LUV THEM BOTH 99.44% ... ITS JUST I AM GREEDY and WOULD LUV THEM BOTH 100% IF THEY HAD PHOTOS or ILLUSTRATIONS TOO STRENTHING THE IMAGES, BEING DESCRIBED ...

LOVE YOUR STORIES and ALL OF YOU ... THANKS FOR THIS WONDERFUL GIFT >>>

Perspectives: 18

If Josie does win any competition, what will be his male self's reaction to knowing how pretty a girl he makes? Is he simply a brother comfy at being a girl, or is it much deeper?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

There Can Be No Doubt

joannebarbarella's picture

That Josie appreciates herself and revels in it. Joe is fading into a shadow.