Perspectives: 20

Printer-friendly version

Josie

Where do we go from here?

Perspectives:


a novel with eight voices


by Louise Anne Smithson

Carol — mother of Jenny and Josie (Sunday 31st July 2011)

It was with a mixture of emotions that I caught my first sight of Josie last night after Jean had finished with her, and then later watched her go up to collect her prize. Part of me was very proud that she could look so beautiful, but I had to be careful not to make Jenny and the twins jealous. Another part of me was amazed that she could have changed so dramatically in the space of a week from an awkward and depressive young man into a very feminine young woman. There was little doubt in my mind that my son was transgendered, and this had been the root of his depression, but I was still unsure what, if anything, I should seek to do about it. I was also a little bit afraid for Joe’s future. All the same, I could see the sense in Jean’s suggestion of providing further opportunities for Joe to spend time as Josie, if he or she chose to accept them. At the same time I must not lose sight of my elder daughter who still has a bit of growing up to do. Most of the time she is mature enough, but there are times when Jenny can say upsetting things that she doesn’t really mean. That is why I don’t object to her friendship with the twins who are a fairly good influence on her (although Karen more so than Sue). I suspect that Jenny was nearly as shocked as I was by Josie’s appearance last night, and also perhaps realised that there might be more to this than her younger brother helping them out at the Convention.

We all had an early breakfast this morning. Jean had promised to help Josie with her hair again and so Josie came back to our bedroom afterwards. This seemed to be a good opportunityfor me to have a talk with her.

‘Josie, I get the impression that, in spite of your original concerns, and your nerves on Friday evening, you have enjoyed spending the last week as a young woman,’ I began.

‘Oh yes, Mum, it has been good fun learning how to be Josie. Jenny, the twins and Aunt Jean have all helped me,’ she replied with disarming honesty.

‘Jean and I have been noticing how much happier and more relaxed you have become over the last few days. I was wondering whether you might wish to spend a few more days as Josie next weekend?’ I asked.

Josie didn’t answer at first but I couldn’t help noticing that her eyes seemed to brighten involuntarily.

‘What do you have in mind Mum?’ she asked after a pause.

I explained about my forthcoming trip to Southport and why it would be more straightforward and a lot cheaper if I were to take four girls rather than three girls and a boy with me.

Jean, who was working on Josie’s hair, added that she would be happy for her daughters to go, if they wished to do so, but they had both thought that Josie must be the one to decide whether the plan went ahead or not before the others were told about it.

‘I’d be happy to go, but I think you’ll need to talk to the others as well to make sure they would also be alright with the idea. After all, I’ll need to borrow their clothes once again,’ she replied.

‘So you would be prepared to dress as a young woman again next weekend?’ I asked.

‘Yes, if the others are happy to have me with them once again, I would be prepared to do so,‘ she replied.

‘In that case I’ll go and talk to the other three now, and see what they think, about the idea,’ I said leaving her in Jean’s hands.

I found the other three girls in Jenny and Susan’s room. I carefully explained about the proposed trip to Southport, stressing the cost saving and convenience aspects of taking Josie along, rather than any wish to provide Joe with another opportunity of expressing his feminine self. Somewhat to my surprise, they all three accepted the plan without question.

‘Oh yes, that would be great, I’ve never been to Southport, and it will be nice to have Josie around again,’ said Karen.

‘That’ll be good fun, won’t it Jenny?’ said Sue.

Jenny hesitated, but then agreed

‘Would you all mind if Josie continued to borrow the clothes that she already has?’ I asked.

‘I suppose she can keep those items that I’ve loaned her as I have already outgrown most of them,’ said Jenny.

‘I don’t mind, but she might find that she’s a little bit limited in her wardrobe now that she is used to looking so good. But I suppose she would be able to buy herself some more clothes with that voucher that she won last night,’ added Sue.

Karen was likewise happy for her to keep the clothes. I therefore returned to convey the news to Josie and to Jean, that the following Saturday I would be taking the four of them to stay in Southport until the Tuesday night.

The last session of the convention went equally well, and included photographs of all those competitors who were still in their costumes. Once again Josie was the centre of attraction and seemed to enjoy the attention she received. However, at twelve o’clock it was time for us to think about leaving and so the girls went to change into clothes that were more suitable for travelling. Jean and I helped Josie to get changed, and took charge of packing her borrowed dresses.

‘I am so relieved to get out of that damned corset and wear something a little more comfortable,,’ said Josie as she put on a turquoise dress that she’d brought, ‘but now I’ll have to change the colour of my nail varnish.’

‘It is only for the journey home,’ I said. ‘It won’t matter.’

‘I can’t go out with pink nails and a turquoise dress.’

‘In that case you had better do them quickly yourself as we don’t have a lot of time.’

‘What do you want to do about your hair, Josie?’ asked Karen.

‘I think this style is a little over the top for the twenty-first century, would you mind helping me to take it down?’ she said.

‘Alright then, you do your nails and then I’ll sort out your hair whilst they are drying’ Karen answered.

Once the girls had all changed and carefully packed their costumes we checked out of our rooms and left the luggage in the lobby whilst we had some lunch before beginning the journey home.

‘All told, it has been a pretty successful weekend,’ commented Karen. ‘Thanks Aunt Carol for taking us, and Mum for all your help. And thanks again, Josie, for filling in at the last minute and making our weekend possible, even if you did end up winning the competition.’

Josie smiled.

‘Thank you all for asking me, I’ve enjoyed myself over the last week, and I’m also looking forward to next weekend, as well,’ she answered.

‘Mum, if we’re going to be away again next weekend then I’ll need to spend the next few days at home,’ said Jenny. ‘There are quite a few things that I need to do and some people I want to see before going away again. Would it be possible for Karen and Sue to come and stay at our house for the next few days?’

‘As far as I’m concerned it would be alright, if Jean is agreeable. I’ll be based in the office all week and so will be home each evening.’

‘Will that be alright with you then Mum?’ Sue asked Jean, enthusiastically.

‘Hold on a minute,’ said Karen, ‘I’ve already promised to spend a couple of days with Denise before she disappears for the rest of the summer, it will be much easier for me to do so from my home, and so I’d prefer to return with you, Mum.’

‘In that case Sue can stay with Jenny and Karen can come back with me,’ said Jean. ‘But what are your plans for the week, Josie?’

‘Well I can’t very well go home dressed like this,’ she answered, ‘it would be all round the village in no time. I’d better change back into Joe until next weekend’.

I hadn’t really thought about what Joe/Josie might do over the next few days until we went away again, but Josie did have a point that it would be difficult for her to return home dressed as she was unless, she were willing to stay inside the house all week.

‘I’m afraid you might have a slight logistical problem on that front,’ said Jenny smiling. ‘If you remember, Mum took Joe’s clothes home with her last weekend.’

‘Oh yes, but perhaps I could borrow a pair of jeans and a sweater for the journey home. I should be alright once these hair extensions and false boobs are taken off,’ she said.

‘Remember there are your false nails and those eyelashes to consider as well,’ added Sue.

Jean changed the subject.

‘Josie, do you remember that we were talking about the state of my business records last week, and you said that you might be able to offer me some advice about automating them?’ she asked.

‘Yes’

‘I was wondering, if I brought my records home sometime, would you be interested in going through them with me and advise me what I’ll need to do?

‘I’m sure that I could advise and perhaps even set something up, if you wanted,’ she answered.

’If you wanted to do so, and it was alright with your mother, you would be welcome to stay with Karen and me for a few more days next week.’

Jean looked across at me as she said it, and I nodded my assent.

‘Would that mean that I could remain as Josie if I stayed at your house during the week?’

Once again Jean glanced in my direction and I surreptitiously nodded. I was seated slightly behind the line of sight of the others and so nobody else was in a position to see our exchange of glances.

‘Would you like to remain as Josie next week?’ she asked.

‘I just thought it might be easier for everyone if I’m going away as Josie again next weekend’, she answered, colouring a little.

‘As far as I’m concerned you would be welcome to stay with me either as Josie or else as Joseph, as long as your mother is agreeable. But I do agree that it would be easier for me if you were to stay just as you are until next weekend,’ said Jean

Josie turned towards me.

‘Mum, would you mind if I stayed at Aunt Jean’s for another week and helped with her book-keeping system?’

‘No I wouldn’t mind, if you wish to do so, but are you sure you want to stay as a girl for another week?’

Josie thought for a moment before answering.

‘As long as you nobody minds, and the others are willing to continue to loan me their clothes, I will stay as Josie. It will save the bother of my having to change back now and again next weekend.’

‘In that case I don’t mind either,’ I replied.

I noticed Sue and Jenny exchanging glances with one another but they said nothing.

‘Alright,’ said Jean, ‘Jenny and Sue will stay with Carol, and Josie and Karen with me’.

‘That’s good, now I’ll have someone to talk to after Denise has left,’ said Karen.

‘Josie, what are you going to spend your prize voucher on?’ asked Jenny.

‘I ought to give it to Denise as a consolation prize since it was her costume that caused me to win,’ she answered.

‘But Denise’s parents are rich, she has masses of clothes,’ commented Sue.

‘I know, but I still think that we ought to offer her the prize.’

Next time: Back to Crawley
up
176 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Perspectives: 20

Questions are: Is Joe truly more comfortable being Josie, or is it the attention that she got? what if Joe meets a girl that he likes? ill Joe give Josie up?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

If Josie meets a girl she likes?

Andrea Lena's picture

...two girls together works for me.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Do not look a gift

Equine in the mouth. Success will foster more success and to argue with it would be like snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory. So just do it, give the child a break and stand back the super power girl transformation casts off a lot of light and sparkles. he he he he he he

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Corset is

Couldn't logon n comment while away but was able to read BCTS occasionally n great to be able to keep with Josie this story is right up there with your best Louise n I eagerly await each episode hope there's lots more to come xx k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

I have just read everything

95.png

I have just read everything writen so far. I think you do have a point, I think both mums should be careful, Josie has went from a "loner" to the center of attention. But if she really does want to be a fraulein then I say YOU GO GIRL! Very good story!

Laurie

Laurie

No Time Like The Present

joannebarbarella's picture

Josie has to grab this opportunity with both hands. Her only hesitation so far is the worry about what the village will think. I'm sure that can be taken care of. Half of the inhabitants won't notice anyway.