Perspectives: 27

Printer-friendly version

Josie

Taking soundings
Perspectives:
a novel with eight voices

by Louise Anne Smithson

Jean — mother of Karen and Sue (Thursday 4th August 2011)

Karen and Josie arrived back from their visit last night laden with several carrier bags containing some expensive looking clothes. I was about to ask them for an explanation, when Karen volunteered that that they’d all been given by Denise to Josie. I think Carol may have a point in her belief that Denise and her mother have more money than sense when it comes to buying clothes, but at least it solves the problem of what Josie can wear over the next few days.

The weather was really fine this morning and Josie came down wearing one of Denise’s summer dresses with bare legs and open toed sandals; clearly chosen in order to show off some newly painted toenails. I must say she looked really pretty and appeared to be aware of the fact. She’d already put on some makeup but checked on herself in the hall mirror and quickly touched up her lipstick as if she had been doing so for years. I exchanged glances with Karen, who just smiled and shrugged her shoulders. I do wonder where it all may be leading, but on the other hand, I must say that Josie has turned into a helpful and attractive young lady.

Karen received a phone call from her friend as I was getting ready to go to work. I was just on the point of leaving the house when she came off the phone and said to me.

‘Mum I’ll be going over to Ifield this morning to see Denise off. If you like, I’ll walk in to town with you.’

‘Alright, as long as you are ready soon,’ I said. ‘What about you Josie?’

‘I’ve already said goodbye last night, and would prefer to stay home and continue working on the database,’ she replied

This also suited me.

‘I have some business to do at lunchtime and so I suggest that everyone should make their own arrangements for lunch. There is plenty of food in the refrigerator Josie.’

‘If you like I’ll see to dinner once I get back this afternoon,’ said Karen.

I can always tell when one or other of my daughters wants something from me — they volunteer to do jobs rather than waiting to be asked,’ I thought, as I thanked her.

I was right. Karen and I had barely left the house when she turned to me.

‘Mum, how would you feel if Josie and I were to be invited to spend a few days at Denise’s parents’ cottage in North Wales next week?’

‘When, and for how long?’

‘Her father will be coming back to Crawley for a meeting tomorrow week and would be able take us there following day. Then he would be returning on the Monday 20th, ten days later.’

‘So it is more than ‘a few days’.’

‘I guess so, but that way we wouldn’t be faced with the expense of travelling by train.’

‘Do Denise’s mother and father know about Josie’s true identity?’

‘No, and Denise thinks it would be best that they do not do so. Josie and I would have to share a bedroom and her parents might be unhappy if they thought that Josie was really a boy.’

‘How does Josie feel about it?’

‘She doesn’t know that we’ve been invited yet as I thought it best to speak with you first. I get the impression that she likes Denise and would be happy to go.’

‘What about Sue, and Jenny?’

‘They haven’t been invited as there’s no way that the family could accommodate all four of us. Denise is my friend and the other two are always happy to spend time together. Also I get the impression that they have been having a good time seeing some lads from school over the last couple of days and so they would probably be quite content to go stick around in Crawley.’

‘Hmm, well don’t say anything to Josie or the others until I’ve had a chance to discuss it with Josie’s mother and also to speak to Denise’s mother. It also sounds as if I‘ll also need ring your sister later this morning to find out what she’s been up to,’ I said.

‘Well please be careful what you say to Denise’s Mum and don’t say that I’ve said anything about what Sue and Jenny have been doing.’

I called Carol during the course of the morning to see if she was aware what our two daughters had been getting up to.

‘I don’t think you need to worry, Jean, it seems like an innocent enough friendship and the two lads concerned are quite well behaved.’

I then told her about Denise’s invitation to Karen and Josie.

‘Josie doesn’t know of the invitation yet, but Karen thinks that she would be happy to go. Of course it would mean her living as a girl for another two weeks, but at least she now has plenty of clothes to wear. What do you think?’

‘I don’t know what to say. How have you found her over the last few days?’ asked Carol.

‘What can I say? She acts like a polite, helpful and cheerful young lady. I’ve had a look at what she is proposing for my business, and at first sight it looks wonderful. In fact she is an ideal house guest.’

‘Would she able to cope living as a girl for another fortnight without us around to keep an eye on things?’ asked Carol.

‘I get the impression that it would be one of the main attractions of the invitation,’ I replied.

‘I can see the advantages of her being away in Wales for a while, I could also offer to take Jenny and Sue with me to stay in London for a few days. But would we be taking a risk by not telling Denise’s parents who she really is?’

‘Yes we would, but apparently Denise would rather that her parents were not told.’

‘I’ll have to think about it,’ said Carol. ‘I’ll see how she gets on with the others during this trip to Southport before deciding. Why don’t you call Alice to discuss the possibility of Karen going, but say that you will have also to speak to Josie’s Mum and so you won’t be able to give her a final decision for a few days.’

‘That’s a good idea.’

In the meanwhile I rang Karen to tell her what Carol had just suggested and that we couldn’t give them an answer one way or the other at present.

‘You can tell Denise that Josie’s mother hasn’t turned down the idea, but will need a little time to think about the implications.’

‘Alright Mum,’ she replied sounding a little deflated.

‘In the meanwhile, it might be better if, for the time being, you didn’t mention the invitation to Josie or to the others. There’s no reason why you shouldn’t go and stay with Denise on your own if you want.’

‘Alright Mum, but I’d prefer to have Josie’s company on the journey to and from Wales if I can.’

‘We’ll have to wait and see. Where are you now?’

‘I’m on the bus going home. Denise’s and her family were just packing the car ready to leave for their holiday.’

‘In that case I’d better ring off as I want a quick word with Denise’s mother before they go.’

I called Alice to confirm the details of her invitation and caught her before they’d begun their journey.

‘I’d have no problem with Karen coming to stay, but I can’t speak for Josie’s mother so cannot give you a definite decision.’

‘I hope Josie will be able to come, she seems a sweet well-behaved girl.’

I wonder what you would think if you knew the whole story? I thought.

‘As long as you can let me know before next Thursday,’ continued Alice.

‘That shouldn’t be a problem. Josie’s mother will be returning from Southport on Wednesday, so I will speak to her then and phone you during the course of the evening. In the meanwhile, I hope you all have a good holiday.’

‘Thanks.’

Next time: Josie again
up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sure Hope Josie

Gets to go and be with her friends. Im worried about Denise's Parents causing an uproar ><

Sheesh! Josie will have to be very very careful at the get together.

Sephrena

Louise Anne, I am enjoying

Louise Anne, I am enjoying Perspectives and how each chapter focuses on a different character. It gives the story a unique flavor as we see Josie and her friends deal with her unique nature. But wonder if she will experience any downfalls.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Won over

Ahhh thank you my Perspectives fix will settle my shakes the small doses thankfully reliably delivered n another great voice Josie is winnin everyone over but her sis n Karen seems well on the way to BFF given her keenness to take her to Wales will be interestin to see if the adults go along with the deception as am sure if they come clean Alice will baulk at the two friends sharin a room n might there be trouble ahead for the two big sisters? we certainly seem set for a summer of Josie n its not just what my initials stand for that has me so enthralled with your story Louise it may be your best yet n I hope there are many more voices still to be heard x k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

Such Sensible Mothers

joannebarbarella's picture

And all sympathetic to Josie. She now has a heap of clothes so there is no impediment to her remaining as herself for an extended period. It's a good idea to get everybody on side before any final decision on going to Wales, but I sense that the vote on that will be favourable.