Education in the Hills - chapter 9

Printer-friendly version

What do you do with a sick Munchkin?

I would like to thank my dear friends,
Angel O’Hare, Karen Page, Joni W. and Holly Logan
for their kindness, help, support, and input.

Education in the Hills
Chapter 9

By Penny Reed Cardon

We had quite a rough night. It started very late and ended way too early, considering everything that happened yesterday. Not to mention that Mary Beth kept me awake for, I don’t know how long. It was my fault, after all. She cried more than that first night in the hospital. I couldn't do anything for her other than to hold her close, and show her that she's loved.

A girl’s swimsuit, another first for this little Munchkin. I was assembling everything needed for some time in the pool and hot tub, into a small bag I found. I wondered if I should use panties under my swimsuit, to keep my little appendage tucked away, or if the suit would do the job without any assistance. With no prior experience I decided the best thing to do was ask someone with more experience.

After sending a note to Beca, I thought about more information that might be important to have. Sending Dr. Harris a note, I explained our intention and asked if there were any precautions Mary Beth and I should take.

"Hey Munchkin, are we going to come back here after breakfast, or do they have some place for us to change into our swimsuits?" Mary Beth asked, as she came in for her daily wrapping.

"Oh, I'm sorry, yes there's a locker room with private changing rooms, and each one has its own shower. There's a bunch of small lockers to put our regular clothes in while we’re in the pools," I explained.

My PDA beeped as I was getting started on the elastic bandages. It was Beca's reply. "Well, it looks like I'll need to pack some extra panties in my bag."

"Extra panties, why?"

"According to Beca, the swimsuit doesn't provide enough support. I'll need to wear panties underneath to keep things in place."

"Matilda, I've heard you talking about keeping things in place before, but just what are you talking about?"

"First off, I'm not going to give you a demonstration. All you need to know is that they taught me a way of hiding my boy parts so that I can look like a girl, even when I'm wearing a swimsuit. Being that you don't have the same parts, it's something that you'll never have to worry about," I explained.

"I was just wondering, that's all. It seemed to be such a secret," she timidly replied.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like I'm hiding something from you. I'll tell you anything you want to know." With some embarrassment, I went on to paint a word picture, explaining just what goes where and how I use two pairs of panties to keep everything in place.

After I'd finished, Mary Beth thought for a while before responding. First, she hugged me, then she kissed my cheek, then she whispered in my ear, "I didn't mean to embarrass you, but thank you for telling me. Never again will I complain about dressing like a boy for a day. Wearing boy's clothing is nothing compared to what you have to do every day." Mary Beth continued to hug me, in silence, for a few seconds. It might have been longer, but we were interrupted by another beep from my PDA. It was the expected reply from Dr. Harris, with an unexpected complication.

"It looks like it's your turn to be embarrassed," I said apologetically, as I handed her my PDA. The note from Dr. Harris told us that limited activity was okay, no diving, no water polo or volleyball, and no distance swimming. The problem was that Mary Beth had to keep the elastic bandages on under her swimsuit; a dry set would be in her room when we returned.

"As I see it, there are a couple of options," I explained. "The first option would be to wear your camisole and bandages under your swimsuit."

"That would look funny, white lace sticking out from under my dark blue swimsuit. I think I'll pass on that one. What are my other options?"

"Well, when we go down to the lounge, you could have one of the other girls wrap the bandages around you, in the restroom."

"That would work, except for one thing."

"What's that?"

"I haven't figured out which of the other girls are girls, and which of them are special, like you."

"Thank you for that compliment, I'm sure the others will thank you too ..."

"Don't you dare tell them I said that."

Giggling, I agreed, "As you wish. So what do you want to do about the bandages?"

To answer that question Mary Beth started removing the bandages.

"What are you doing?" I asked, just a little nervously.

"There is another option you failed to mention," she replied, as she finished the removal process. She handed me the bandages and pulled her camisole out of her pants.

I quickly turned around, asking, though I’m sure it sounded more like squeaking, "Mary Beth, what are you doing?"

"I’m just getting ready for you to wrap those bandages around me."

"But, but, I can't ..."

"Matilda, would you just turn around and get busy."

"But Mary Beth, you know I've never seen ..."

"Stop stepping on your tongue, just get over here and get on with it, I'm starting to get cold. Why do you keep your room so much cooler than mine?"

"It's just what I'm used to, I guess." I replied, still refusing to turn around. I just knew that she was standing there naked from the waist up.

"Matilda, turn around," she commanded.

Reluctantly I turned around. However, owing to the fact that she didn't say my eyes had to be open, I kept them tightly shut.

"Matilda ... why are your eyes closed?"

"Because I'm not supposed to see you topless," I replied timidly. I'm sure I was blushing.

"I'm glad you feel that way, because I have no intention of letting you see me topless. Now open your eyes and get those bandages on me."

I felt the warmth radiating from my face. I slowly opened my eyes. I was greatly relieved to find Mary Beth holding her camisole in a way that revealed her stomach and most of her ribs, but still covered her breasts. I'm not sure but I think she heard me sigh in relief.

"Don't just stand there, get those bandages on me so I can get dressed," she commanded, breaking me out of a trance.

I quickly wrapped the bandages around her. When I'd finished she dropped the camisole, over the bandages, and kissed my cheek once again. Then she disappeared.

'She can be really confusing sometimes; she gets mad when I kiss her on the cheek, then she kisses me, not once but twice. So if it’s okay for her to kiss me, is she going to get mad if I kiss her again?’

After she left, I collected the last few items and finished packing my bag. I hadn't been in the locker room before, so I didn't know if there were towels available for our use or not. Just to be on the safe side, I put one in my bag. Ready at last, I knocked and waited for permission to enter.

"Entre' my friend."

"Ready to go?"

"I guess. Are there towels in the ..."

"I don't know. I'm taking one just in case."

Mary Beth grabbed a towel and we were off. She carried both our bags on her lap as I pushed. As usual, we were greeted by a barrage of questions as we entered the year lounge.

"Why are you wearing a skirt?

Today is Saturday you know?"

"What are the bags for?"

"How come you two are always the last to get here each morning?"

"Are you coming down to the workshop today?"

"Yeah, it would be good if the project manager helped with the project once in a while."

"Why are your eyes blood shot?"

"Are your classes that tough?"

"They must have a ton of homework."

"Yeah, you two look like you haven't slept in a week."

"Why weren't you two at choir practice, last night?"

"You weren't at dinner either."

"Are you two planning a jail break?"

"Count me in; we need a little excitement around here."

"You two look like death warmed over, what's up?"

All right, some of them were statements, not questions. However, they've taken a turn and are going down a road I'd rather not go down this morning.

Mary Beth motioned for me to bend down, and then she whispered into my ear, "What do you think of our adopted family now?"

I smiled as I replied, "Not exactly what I would have chosen myself, but not bad for a bunch of black sheep."

This had Mary Beth giggling.

"What's this, a private joke?"

"Hey, no private jokes. Tell us the joke."

"Tell us, ... Tell us, ... Tell us, ... Tell us, ..."

I held up my hands to quiet the unruly mob, "Let me see if I can remember all those questions. One, Yes I know that today is Saturday and I'm wearing a skirt because I want to. Two, swimming and hot tub. Three, we're not late, you're early. Four, after swimming. Five, that was a statement not a question but I hope to have more spare time soon. Six, too much crying. Seven, not too tough. Eight, another statement. Nine, far less sleep than were accustomed to. Ten, I'll get back to the next two later. Eleven, sorry no jail break planned. Twelve, I'm sure we can arrange some excitement without resorting to something that extreme. Thirteen, no one has died and therefore there is no need for external warming. Finally, Mary Beth asked me what I thought of our adopted family, and I replied with 'Not bad for a bunch of black sheep.' Although sheep usually travel in herds not bunches."

Everyone sat and stared at me for several moments. Suddenly, someone started clapping and before we knew it, everyone had joined in.

As the applause was dying down Jenny came up beside me and gently asked, "And what about the two you were going to get back to?"

I sighed before saying anything, "Oh yeah, ... um, a three hour session with Ellen, and ..."

"Three hours? What on earth did you do?"

Jenny prodded me to continue, “And?”

“And, we apologize ahead of time if they’re a little short on the Mint Chocolate Chip, tonight.”

“You raided the ice cream?”

“At the time … it was the right thing to do,” I replied sadly, as I rested one hand on Mary Beth’s shoulder.

“And what about that three hours with Ellen?”

“Well … let’s just say we had a lot to talk about,” Mary Beth replied softly, she started sniffling after that.

I leaned down and hugged her, whispering, “At least we have each other.” It was almost two weeks since Mary Beth had used that line on me. It seemed appropriate at the time. She looked up and smiled.

Jenny tried to take my hand. I noticed and pulled it back, “Sorry Jenny, not this time. I need to learn to control my emotions just a bit better." I turned to the group, "Who’s up for some time in the pools?"

"When are you going?"

"What about the workshop? I've run into a snag with getting two separate keyboards to act as one. I need some help with the system," Aaron complained.

"We were planning to go swimming after breakfast, for about an hour. After that we’re going to the workshop," I replied.

"It is not a good idea to go swimming immediately after eating breakfast." Jenny pointed out.

"Oh yeah, I remember mom wouldn't let us go swimming for about an hour after we'd eaten," Mary Beth added. "I guess I forgot about that."

"Perhaps a slight change in plans is needed," I added, maybe this making decisions can be a good thing. "From what I've heard you've all been working very hard. So, as the project manager, I think everyone needs some time off. Here's what I propose, everyone go grab your swimwear and we'll all enjoy some fun and relaxation. After that, we'll join years D - H for breakfast, and then it's on to the workshop. Does that sound like a plan that will make everyone happy?"

The room fell silent, after several moments at least a dozen voices were screaming, "POOL PARTY!" It was utter chaos as everyone jumped up and headed for the door, to get their swimwear.

"This is a good thing ... I think," Jenny said with a smile. "I will send a note to Mr. Peterson explaining our plans."

"I'll take care of that Jenny. After all, it is my idea," I replied. Jenny nodded her acceptance, allowing me to take that responsibility. I didn't tell her that I'd also have to alert Ellen, just in case she had any concerns.

"Matilda," Mary Beth asked, once we were alone, "what about, you know who?"

"Are you referring to the counselor that happens to looks like my Mother?"

"Matilda, what are you trying to do?"

"I worked it all out while I was in the shower. This time I'm going to do the right thing, at least ... I think it’s the right thing. Anyway, nobody here gets to see their family so why should I be any different. Just because my mother happens to work here, doesn't mean that I should be treated any different or have special privileges. I'm going to pretend that my Mother isn't here. Of course, I may need some help from time to time. Can I count on you to help me remember to be a tiny adult, when I want to be an average child and give my Mom a hug?"

"Matilda, you know don't have to ask me that. I'll do anything I can for you. You do realize that I'll need similar help from time to time. I do have one more question, what do we do about Rachael?"

"We don't do anything about Rachael."

"What do you mean?"

"It's simple, we see her every day, just like we have been. She's almost as smart as I am and she'll know that something is wrong if we change our pattern. Of course, we don't tell her anything about what we know. That's a burden that you and I must keep between the two of us."

"Well, would you do me a favor; just stick to finding a way to take care of Bart and leave the school servers alone?"

"All right, I'll try to be a good girl. Um, when would you like to talk about the rest of what I found?"

"WHAT!!! THERE'S MORE?" she cried out, almost yelling.

"Well … I opened several folders before I found the no contact rule. Neither of us was in any condition to talk about anything else last night."

"Matilda, so help me, if you get us into any more trouble, I'm, I’m ... I'm going to hide Nellie and make you sleep alone."

"But I don't mean to get into trouble," I timidly replied, sinking lower into the couch, next to Mary Beth. "It just that trouble ... well ... it sort of follows me around and jumps out when I'm not looking."

When I looked up at Mary Beth, she had such a scowl. After staring at me for what seemed like half the day, the scowl broke into a smile, “Come here Munchkin.”

It didn’t take me long to hop into her lap and give her a hug.

It also didn't take the others long to collect their swimsuits and trunks. Soon we were on our way, to the pools.

Mr. Peterson met us as we were about to go down the stairs to the pool area. "My, my, the whole year is going swimming at the same time. That's unusual."

"It was Matilda's idea," George volunteered.

"Is there a problem with us using the pools this time of day?" I asked.

"Only that none of you have been through our life saving course, and there isn't a lifeguard on duty this early. Not wanting to put a damper on your activity, I've arranged for a volunteer from one of the other years, actually two. They should be downstairs by the pools, by the time all of you have changed. One other thing, seating in the cafeteria with years D through H is a little scarce. You’ll have to spread out, sitting wherever you can find empty seats. The other option would be to use one of the small dining rooms, that way you could all sit together, the choice is yours."

"Thank you for making the arrangements," I replied, on behalf of the group. "You don't have a problem with us joining years D through H?"

"Should I?"

"No, I guess not. Thanks again," I smiled, as I pushed Mary Beth towards the elevator and the others started down the stairs.

"So what was that all about?" Mary Beth asked, after the doors closed, and we were alone.

"What was what about?"

"Asking Mr. Peterson about us being in the cafeteria with the older students."

"Very simple, his reply tells me that Ellen has talked with him about yesterday. They've already started changing the school’s policy about staff members that have a student here. The new policy may not be perfect, but at least other students won't have to go through what I've been through, this week."

"Well, I'm sure that's a good thing."

As the doors opened, we were met by a happy crowd. After we entered the locker room, Mary Beth announced with a giggle, "I just realized, for the next hour or so I don't have to be in this silly wheelchair! We should do this more often."

With the whole year going swimming at the same time, we used all of the changing rooms. Of course, some were faster at changing than others. For future reference, there was a large set of wire shelves loaded with towels, along with a large plastic tub for the wet towels. There were also several tiny washing machines, at least, that’s what they looked like. When I asked Tina about them, she called them spinners. By placing your wet suit inside, closing the lid and pressing the single button, the small drum inside would spin really fast. It would remove almost all of the water from your suit, before taking it back to your room. When I asked about leaving the suits with the towels, I was told that the laundry personnel requested that we not do that.

As we started out of the locker room, a hand on my shoulder startled me. "You're not going in the pool like that, are you?" Christina asked gently.

I looked at her and then I looked at myself, thinking that I wasn't property tucked. Relieved to see no evidence of my male appendage, I again looked into Christina's eyes.

Fortunately, she read the question in my eyes. "The chlorine in the pool will ruin your wig. You need to leave it in the locker with your clothes."

I giggled with relief, I was afraid that I'd broken some new rule. "Thanks for reminding me. I've gotten so accustomed to the long hair that I forgot it isn't really mine."

"I know how you feel. I wore a wig until a few weeks ago. I've finally got enough of my own hair to have it styled in a way I like."

"So, how long did it take to grow?" I asked, wondering when I'll be able to give up the wig.

"I guess the last time my hair was cut was last December. Dad has a family picture taken every year before Christmas. I guess it'll be a few years before he can have another picture taken of the whole family."

Not wanting to reveal anything I shouldn't, I simply nodded in agreement that it would be quite some time.

The next hour was enjoyed by all. We spent about forty-five minutes frolicking around in the main pool, under the watchful eyes of two year H students, before relaxing in the hot tub for fifteen minutes. After a quick shower, we gathered together to discuss the option that Mr. Peterson had given us.

"Does anyone have preference as to the seating arrangements that Mr. Peterson offered?" Aaron asked.

"Well, I for one think we should sit together," George volunteered.

"But if we spread out among the rest of the school there's a chance of learning from the older students," Misa added.

"That's true," Tina agreed. "We could ask questions about the mystery group, the field trip to Toronto and the sudden addition of Quebec, not to mention what happens around here for the holidays."

"I do not think any of you will feel like asking questions about the mystery group or the trip to Quebec," Jenny interjected. "Remember, even though there is enough space for us to filter in, there will be a psychiatrist or counselor at each table. I doubt any of you will feel comfortable asking those questions with them there. As to the subject of the upcoming holidays, I'm sure we will be informed soon. If not, then Aaron and I can ask Mr. Peterson."

"If we use the small dining room, it'll probably just be us there. I don't think they will have scheduled anyone to be there with us," I added.

"Hey, that's right. This whole morning has been so different from any other, they're still probably trying to figure out what we're doing," Wally chuckled. "I vote for eating alone."

"A vote sounds like a good idea," Vikk added.

"Very well, a vote it is," Aaron conceded. "All those in favor of sitting as a group, possibly without any adults around, raise a hand."

"Well," Jenny giggled, "it looks like everyone likes the idea of having a meal without adult supervision. It is agreed, we sit together."

With that settled, we went up to the small dining room, which had been prepared with two long tables. After selecting our places and leaving our bags by our chairs, no need to carry damp swimwear around, we all headed for the serving area. As most of the school didn't know about our unscheduled activity, they were surprised when all of year A suddenly appeared.

Knowing how upset Lizy was yesterday, I looked for Beca and Lizy. I was relieved to see both of them, although they looked like they hadn't slept much. On the other hand, Mary Beth and I didn't get much sleep last night either, our morning swim helped us look less wiped-out.

"Hey, there's a new face," Morgan pointed out. "Did the school hire a new psychiatrist?"

Looking in the indicated direction, I sighed to myself. Then, without skipping a beat announced, "That's a new counselor, her name is Edith. I understand she is very kind and understanding."

"And just how do you know that she's a new counselor?" Tina inquired.

"Ellen introduced us, when I was going through girl training," I replied simply, not volunteering any additional information. A little white lie that I hoped wouldn't come back to haunt me later.

By the time Mary Beth and I had gotten our breakfasts and returned to the dining room, I'd received a new message.

Morning Munchkin,
I hope you and Mary Beth are feeling better.
You two look better than Lizy and I do.
The early morning swim must have done you both
a lot of good. Maybe we'll join you next time.
If either of you need to talk, you know where to
find us.

See you around.

Love, your big sister, Beca.

P. S. Try to behave yourself and stay out of
trouble. :-)>

I was giggling as I thought about Beca's last sentence. Of course, Mary Beth wanted to know why, so I showed her Beca's note. She didn’t understand what was funny about it. By now, those around us were curious as well.

I told them about the note, but only read the last line to them. I then explained, "It's funny because I always behave myself, and I'm always in trouble. Perhaps I should reverse it, that is, try not behaving myself, maybe then trouble wouldn't follow me around all the time."

"But Matilda, you're not in trouble all the time," Misa pointed out. "In fact you've kept the rest of us out of trouble."

"True enough," Em added. "If it weren't for you we'd have probably done something silly after the Halloween Ball."

"Yea, If it wasn't for you we'd have been the one's wearing them pink dresses, instead of those three from year C," George confessed.

"Yes, Matilda's an angel," Mary Beth agreed, and sarcastically continued. "If you ignore the part about taking a few too many sleeping pills, playing the part of a long lost princess, sneaking out of the hospital, doing a little sleep walking, possibly having a split personality, hacking the computer system, and let's not forget, being out after curfew."

I could have offered a rebuttal. After thinking about it for a second, I shrugged one shoulder and gave a silly smile, "Oh well, nobody's perfect." Everyone giggled at my response.

After everyone leisurely finished their breakfasts and returned the wet things to their rooms, several of us headed down to the workshop.

The problem Aaron was having had to do with trying to interface two wireless keyboard systems into one computer, even though we were only using half the key inputs on each system. Aaron couldn't find a way of setting up for simultaneous keyboard inputs. It seems that Aaron’s skills didn't go as deep into machine level programming as mine did, at least not at that time. I logged into the network with my PDA and worked my way into the test computer that RJ had provided. I spent the better part of two hours trying to find a way of doing something that was never intended. Aaron and I decided that we needed input from RJ. For our first prototype, we would have to run wires between the two keypads, so both keypads fed into one wireless transmitter. Our final design would have both keypads wireless, but in the meantime, we would accept a wired version or two. By Sunday afternoon, our first design was ready for field-testing, that is we thought it was ready.

Mary Beth and I went to visit Rachael at our customary time. Following our visit, we went to church and then to the workshop. Aaron, George, and Tina had finished wiring the keypads together. Not wanting the wires to be in the way, or accidentally pulled out, they made the wires long enough to follow the traction ropes that support Rachael's arms to the ceiling and back down. I quickly joined in and the four of us began testing our invention.

As lunchtime approached, the four of us were deep into the throes of troubleshooting and on the verge of success. Not wanting to abandon our project when we were so close, the four of us decided to skip lunch. We sent our study partners to lunch, figuring there was no sense them just sitting around starving while we were working, they on the other hand had other ideas. The four of us were surprised when the doors of the workshop opened and our study partners returned, shortly after they'd left. Across the arms of Mary Beth's wheelchair was a large metal tray, covered with a selection of breads, meats, cheese, and other sandwich fixings, along with an assortment of bottled beverages. Not only did they fix our sandwiches for us after asking what we wanted, but they cut the sandwiches into bite size pieces and fed us. Being fed, bite by bite really felt funny, but kind of nice at the same time. Later that night I found out that the whole lunch idea had been Mary Beth's doing.

Once the system was working, we shut it down and loaded everything onto the tray, which had been used previously for carrying lunch. As we were walking to the hospital, I logged into the schools secure server and accessed the locator system, just to make sure Rachael didn't have another visitor.

"What are all of you doing here?" Rachael asked, surprised to have so many visitors show up at the same time.

"We have a present for you sis. Meet your computer," I replied with a smile, stepping aside so Rachael could see better. "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts. We've made some special modifications ..."

"Hey guys, this is an historic moment," George exclaimed. "She's not quoting Star Trek."

"Yes, historic," Jenny agreed. "But she does not do a very good Han Solo."

"So who was trying to do Han Solo?" I asked. "I was doing Leigh, doing Solo."

"But Leigh wasn't in that scene," George shot back.

"True, but they're right; I do a very bad impersonation of Han. It was just my turn to be goofy; I haven't done anything crazy for about, oh let's see, thirty-six hours."

"Yes, well, goofy is okay," Mary Beth started. "You do anything that crazy again and I'll, I'll ... well ... whatever I do you won't like." She found herself stumbling over her words, trying not to spill the beans.

I was tempted to give her a hug but decided that wouldn't be a good idea with the others around. I settled for my sad puppy dog face and a promise, "I'm sorry, I promise, I won’t go out looking for trouble anymore."

"But, Matilda never tries to get into trouble," Rachael said, figuratively rushing to my defense.

"Of course she doesn't," Aaron joined in. "It only seems that way."

"Yes, it only seems like she gets into trouble on a daily basis," George added with a chuckle.

"All right, that's enough heckling for now," I giggled, as I shook my head. "Let's get this computer hooked up. Aaron, there should be an Ethernet connection in here someplace. You guys start putting the system back together and I'll round up a tall cart or table to put the monitor on. It won't do any good if Rachael can't see it. George, Tina, please get started electrifying Rachael's casts."

"WHAT!" Rachael cried out.

"Relax, it won't hurt ... much," I teased, as I left the room.

Marie let me take one of those adjustable table / carts things, you know the ones that stand by the bed in hospital rooms, from one of the empty rooms.

"Electrify my cast," Rachael echoed sarcastically, as I entered her room. "You keep teasing me like that and when I get out of here I'll get even. I'll arrange for you to spend some time in here so I can tease you."

Everyone was giggling as Rachael was trying to threaten me.

"Oh come now, you know that I'd never, knowingly, let anyone hurt you," I passed the cart to Aaron and gave Rachael a gentle hug.

As soon as the monitor had warned up, I started to show Rachael how to log into the system so she could access the on-line library.

Mary Beth interrupted me as soon as I got started, "Matilda, maybe you should let Aaron teach Rachael how to get what she needs. I'm not sure you can log into the network without, well ... without being you."

I stopped in mid sentence and looked at Mary Beth, shocked that she would say something like that.

"After all Matilda, Aaron is our year’s computer systems specialist," Jenny softly reminded.

"Matilda isn't the computer specialist?" Rachael asked.

"No," Jenny replied, as she put an arm around my shoulders to calm me down. "Matilda's assigned specialty is security systems. While, it is true that most security systems are computerized, there are many that are not. Learning the non-computerized systems will be one of her challenges."

I knew that Jenny and Mary Beth were right. This was Aaron's responsibility, and after thinking about it for a moment, I realized that Aaron and RJ would have discussed where Rachael should and shouldn't have access. "Sorry Aaron, I guess I did get carried away. If you would be so kind as to teach Rachael what she needs to know."

I moved so Aaron could take my place next to Rachael. Slipping behind everyone, I decided to take the opportunity to visit with Mother Nature. After I'd finished, and exited the bathroom, I leaned against the bathroom door listening and thinking.

'How could Mary Beth do that? Rachael's my sister and I should be teaching her the system! ... although, Aaron is doing a good job. It looks like he's done some teaching before, probably the others in year A. Maybe I should listen to Mary Beth more often ... wait a second, Mary Beth, maybe, Mary Beth, maybe, maybe, no not maybe , its may be, or rather May Bee. Bee's are always busy, like Mary Beth usually is. By dropping the r from Mary you get May. I think I've just come up with a nickname, May Bee, say it fast and you've got MayBee. I like it, I'm sure that Mary Beth will be okay with it. After all, it's innovative, original, and in no way derogatory. The only question is, what would be the best way to announce this to everyone? … ummmm … I've got it!'

I got out my PDA and created an announcement. Then I accessed the network. Maneuvering through the network, I worked my way into Rachael's computer as a remote administrator. While Aaron was teaching in the foreground, I went into the background. I downloaded my announcement and set it up as Rachael’s desktop background. I couldn't help myself, I was giggling at my cleverness.

"Matilda, what's so amusing?" Tina whispered,

"Just a little surprise for a friend," I snickered.

It seemed that Aaron spent hours with Rachael, teaching her what information was available and where she could find what she needed. Waiting for them to discover my note while having to stifle my giggles was like waiting for a pot to boil, it was excruciatingly painful.

Eventually Aaron finished and they closed all of the open windows. Suddenly, big as life, filling the entire screen was my surprise announcement for all to see.

Attention one and all.
It gives me great pleasure to announce
that after four years, I have finally come up with the perfect nickname
for my dear friend and study partner,
Mary Beth.
Henceforth her official nickname will be,
MayBee,

if she accepts.

Your ever loveable Munchkin.

"Matilda, what's this?" Aaron demanded. That wasn't quite the reaction I'd expected.

"What's, what?" I replied shyly, trying to hide in the corner. I wasn't hiding from Aaron's boisterous response to being surprised, but rather from Mary Beth. Seeing how Aaron had responded, I suddenly wasn't sure how Mary Beth would react.

"What's this on the screen? While I've been teaching Rachael; you came in through the network and have been playing in the background," Aaron complained.

Jenny placed a hand on Aaron's arm, "Relax Aaron, she has not caused any harm, nothing that cannot be changed. Have you read the message? I think Matilda chose a rather ingenious way to making an announcement."

Slowly Mary Beth rotated her wheelchair to find me, as those behind her moved out of her way. She giggled when she saw me in the corner, trying to hide in a shadow. Gently she commanded, "Come here, Munchkin!" indicating that I should stand before her.

It's hard not to look like a scared little girl, when that's exactly what you are. It didn't help that everyone in the room was taller than I am. It seemed to take me an hour, as I nervously crossed the six-foot expanse that separated me from Mary Beth. It’s odd how time seems to stand still when you think something bad is going to happen. Eventually, I stood in front of Mary Beth with the others looking on.

"All right Matilda, tell me how you did that," she requested.

I started to describe how I'd gotten into Rachael's computer through the network, when Mary Beth stopped me.

"Not that! I'll never understand how you do what it is that you do with computers. I want to know how you came up with such a strange nickname as MayBee." The others nodded, agreeing with Mary Beth's request for an explanation.

"Oh that, I was just thinking that maybe I should listen to you more often. Then ‘Mary Beth’, and ‘maybe’, kept going around and around together, in my mind, until maybe became two words, may, and be. Well, May is a beautiful month, flowers blooming, birds singing, and bee's buzzing around. Then I dropped the ‘r’ from Mary and the ‘th’ from Beth and I had ‘may’ and ‘be’. Then I added a second ‘e’ and it became MayBee."

The scowl on Mary Beth's face told me she wasn't exactly happy with what I'd done. I decided it was time to play dot to dot with the random pattern of speckles in the tile floor. I'd created a dog and a cat, and was working on a dragon when a hand crossed my field of vision. Gently, it lifted my head via my chin.

I was again looking into Mary Beth's eyes, and she was smiling. "It's okay, Munchkin. It is a good nickname and I'll accept being called MayBee."

"You will? I mean, you really like it?" I asked excitedly.

"Yes I like it, once you explained how you came up with it. The reason I was upset was that you announced it without talking to me first."

"I thought it was clever," I mumbled.

"It was clever," Tina agreed.

"But Mary Beth is correct. You should have talked with her first," Sue added.

"I'll remember next time. We do talk about almost everything. It’s just that this was a spur of the moment inspiration."

"There's nothing wrong with spur of the moment inspiration," Aaron admitted, with a caution. "It's the spur of the moment actions that get you into trouble. Isn't that right George?"

George didn't exactly reply to the rather pointed question. He kind of growled as he checked the time. "Shouldn't we be getting to choir practice?"

"Oh my, yes! With everything that has taken place, we have almost missed practice," Jenny exclaimed.

We quickly said our farewells and rushed out. It isn't often you see anyone running between the buildings, however, the eight of us made the trek from the hospital to the administration building in one fourth the time normally required. The only one that wasn't exhausted as we rushed into the theater, and in any condition to sing, was Mary Beth. We expressed our apologies to Mrs. T, explaining that we'd lost track of the time while visiting Rachael.

The rest of the evening was uneventful. Well, choir practice and dinner were uneventful. As we were going back to the lounge, I received a note from Ellen. She wanted to see both Mary Beth and me just before six o’clock.

"What did you do now?" Mary Beth scolded, as she read Ellen's note.

"Who me? I haven't done anything … well, not today," I professed my innocence. "I thought perhaps you'd snuck in some mischief while I wasn't looking."

As requested, we appeared at the appointed time, knocking on Ellen's office door.

"Come in," Ellen called out. Mary Beth turned the knob as I gently push her forward. "Good evening girls, I'm glad you were able to see me on such short notice."

"You mean we had a choice?" Mary Beth asked, sarcastically.

"Well, technically, yes. I can't force you to see me," Ellen responded, as she got up from her desk, inviting us to sit on a couch. "I do hope you trust me so I may help when you have needs or challenges."

I'd noticed a change in the arrangement of Ellen's office, the moment we entered. In the corner behind the circle of couches was a large television. There was a remote control on the coffee table, which I assumed went with the TV.

"Of course, we trust you Ellen," Mary Beth replied. "After all you've done for us in the last two weeks … has it only been two weeks? Anyway, I was just being silly."

"That's a relief, for a moment I thought that you two might be startling a rebellion," Ellen was obviously doing a little teasing of her own.

"A rebellion? Us? How could you suspect such a thing? I'm wounded,” I professed very over dramatically. “Pierced to the heart by such an accusation," I replied with mock surprise, clutching my heart with one hand and falling backward onto a couch as if I’d fainted.

Laughing, Ellen requested of Mary Beth, "Would you be so kind as to revive your overacting, study partner?"

"Sure, the only question is how to do it, these things must be done delicately," Mary Beth’s chuckle, was reminiscent of the laugh of the Wicked Witch of the West. "Let’s see, Goldilocks was revived when she heard the bears. I don't look or sound like a bear, so growling won't work. Snow White and Sleeping Beauty both had a handsome prince wake them with a kiss. I don't think I qualify as a prince, even if I were dressed as Hunter. Perhaps we could get Joseph to come wake her."

The two of them were giggling. Me, I was enjoying the show, with both of them playing off each other.

"I'm sure that Joseph would be all too happy to kiss our sleeping princess, but we simply don't have the time to wait for him to come over," Ellen laughed.

"Well, there is another way to wake our small sleeping princess, although it might have some negative side effects."

'Uh oh, what is she up to?'

"And just what would that be?”

"What would which be? The other way of arousing our sleeping princess, or what would the negative side effects be."

"What would be the other method of waking our fainted princess?" Ellen inquired.

'Don't say it! Don't you dare say it!'

"Oh, that's easy, we tickle her," Mary Beth stated, with an evil chuckle.

'I'll get her for this. She knows how ticklish I am. I guess I have a choice; stay here and hope they don't, or put an end to this little melodrama right now. Hmm, sometimes decisions can be hard, is there another option?'

"I see. Knowing our Munchkin's other challenges, I think I know what the negative side effect would be. When is the last time she ..." Ellen was obviously considering the option when Mary Beth cut her off.

"Just before we left the lounge, to come see you."

"Perhaps we could risk it this time. Would you like to do the honors, or should I?"

'That’s it, I'm doomed.'

"Oh, I think on this occasion we should make this a joint effort. However, before we exercise our fingers in an attempt to wake her, do you have any ear plugs?"

"You're telling me she's a screamer."

"Deafening!"

'Just try me. You think you've heard me scream before, you just wait.'

"Well, it's almost six o'clock so we don't have time to send out for ear plugs. I guess we'll just have to risk it. Perhaps tickling with one hand while holding our other hand over one ear, that way we'll only go deaf in one ear."

As I heard them approach, I rolled off the couch and dropped to my hands and knees. Amid giggles from both Ellen and Mary Beth, I scurried behind the next couch, an action that was hard to accomplish while wearing a long dress.

"Well I must say, you played that as long as you could," I heard Ellen say, with a smile in her voice.

"Just having a little fun," I replied, as I poked my head up from behind the couch. "What's so important about six o'clock?"

"Come sit down and I'll explain," Ellen answered, as she picked up the remote and turned on the TV. After we were all seated, she continued. "There's something on tonight's newscast that I think will be of interest to both of you."

We were quiet as the newscast began:

"Good evening, this is your Eye Witness News at Six.
Tonight's top story comes out of West Valley City, where yesterday, local police and FBI agents, in a coordinated effort, made a late night raid on a small estate in the foothills of the Oquirrh Mountains. A dozen men and four women were taken into custody. Evidence found at the estate indicates that all sixteen have been involved with, and are all charged with, multiple counts of child abuse, child pornography, the distribution of child pornography, and involvement in the child slavery market. Also found on the estate was a large drug lab with large quantities of hallucinogens, tranquilizers, and something called 'Lights Out.' We've been informed that 'Lights Out' is something new on the illegal drug market and child pornography syndicates; it's used to cause limited amnesia in their victims so, if caught, they can't testify in court because they can't remember. Last night's raid also succeeded in freeing twelve children, ranging in age from five to thirteen. A group of local psychiatrist's, headed by Jill Morgan, have volunteered to help with the long term care that the children will require. As for the . . ."

Throughout the report, they showed numerous photos of the estate, some of the interior, the drug lab, the small rooms where we guessed the children had been kept. Mary Beth gasped when a photo of the garage was shown.

"Ellen, Matilda, that's it, that's the van," Mary Beth cried out.

"What van?" I asked.

"The white van!" Mary Beth exclaimed. When I didn't respond she went on, "The white van that Bart and his thugs threw you into, three times a week, during lunch."

I looked back and forth between Ellen, the TV, and Mary Beth, trying to remember the events as she had described them. In the end, I just stared at my partner with a puzzled look.

"MATILDA!" she cried out. I could see the anguish in her eyes. "You have to remember."

"Mary Beth, please relax," Ellen cautioned. "Matilda, would you come here please."

I slowly got up and moved to stand in front of Ellen. She took my hands into hers and looked into my eyes for several seconds before she spoke. "You honestly don't remember anything about being in that white van, who was there, or what was or was not done to you?"

I stood motionless for a time before slowly shaking my head.

"That's all right dear," Ellen said softly, letting go of my hands. "Matilda, I'd like to have a look at the back of your neck if I may, would you turn around please?"

I complied with her request and slowly turned. Ellen gently pushed down on my shoulders, indicating that I should drop to my knees. Tilting my head down, she moved my hair so she could examine my neck, from my shoulders to my skull. After a few moments, she gently put my hair back in place.

"Thank you dear," she said sadly, as she straightened up and sat back in her chair. "Matilda you may return to the couch to sit with Mary Beth."

After I sat down Mary Beth put her arms around my shoulders, pulling me close, I think she was crying. It was several moments before anyone spoke.

"Matilda, as I suspected, you have been a victim of those monsters. The evidence is clearly visible."

"What evidence?" Mary Beth asked.

"The track marks on the back of her neck," Ellen softly replied.

"Track marks?" I inquired.

"Sorry, that's a slang term. It’s used when referring to multiple puncture marks in the skin. The term is most commonly used by drug addicts and diabetics."

"But I've never ..."

"Of course you haven't," Ellen interrupted me. "These puncture marks are in a location that couldn't be self inflicted. You’ve received multiple injections, from someone else. There's no medical reason for injections at the base of the skull. The only other explanation is that you were injected with 'Lights Out.' Presumably, after each episode in the van, just before you were dropped off at your school. The only question in my mind is why … why did they release you each time, instead of taking you back to the estate."

"Well ... I'm actually happy with how things turned out," Mary Beth confessed with a sniffle, adding a little humor to what was turning into a rather gloomy conversation.

"Oh I agree, we're all very pleased to have Matilda with us." Changing her focus, Ellen turned to me, "Unfortunately, because you can't remember who was in the van or what did or did not happen, I'm afraid that you'll need to be tested. I’m sorry; we put this off as long as we could. I was hoping that you would remember more, and then these tests could have been avoided."

"Tested? Tested for what?" Mary Beth asked.

I looked up into Mary Beth's eyes. Sadly, I said "HIV."

“That’s one of the things you will need to be tested for,” Ellen added solemnly, she never took her eyes off me.

“One?” squeaked Mary Beth.

“Yes, HIV is only one. There’s a variety of sexually transmitted diseases that she’ll need to be tested for.”

“But … I’ve been in the pool … with the rest of the year,” I said, moving away from Mary Beth. “I don’t want to … well, infect anyone else.”

“Matilda, none of the infections we’re worried about can be spread that way. Certainly not through normal contact like touching, so there’s no need to shy away from Mary Beth. If you’ll come with me, we need to see Dr. Harris.”

“What should I do?” Mary Beth wondered aloud.

“There’s no reason that you can’t accompany Matilda. I know that she was with you after Dr. Harris examined you.”

We got up and I went to Mary Beth’s wheelchair. She stood by the couch, looking at me.

“What?” I asked.

“It doesn’t seem right for you to be pushing me around,” she sadly replied.

“What are you talking about? You still have cracked ribs and your activities are restricted, Dr. Harris’s orders.”

“I know, but … well it’s just that, ... with you having …”

“Hold it right there MayBee. I pushed you around last week, yesterday, and today; and I’m pretty sure that pushing you back to the hospital one more time isn’t going to kill me. So get over here and sit down.”

"But?"

"That's right, I want you to come over here and gently put your butt in this chair."

"Ellen?" Mary Beth called, trying to recruit some support.

"Don't look at me! Matilda's correct, you have the more immediate need. Whatever Matilda might have won't cause her any problems, at least not until you're fully recovered."

Slowly, and while shaking her head, Mary Beth sat in the wheelchair. To my surprise, Ellen asked me to open the door as she got behind the wheelchair and started pushing Mary Beth. After we'd left her office, Ellen stepped aside and allowed me to resume what I'd accepted as my duty. Admittedly, a very pleasant duty, one that I gladly accepted as it allowed me to be of service to my dear friend.

As we were making our way to the hospital, we were obviously missing choir practice again, Ellen asked, "Matilda, what did you call Mary Beth, while we were in my office?"

"In your office? ... Oh! It was MayBee. That's her new nickname."

"Yes, my good friend, the mischievous munchkin, came up with that silly nickname," Mary Beth moaned sarcastically.

"But you said that it was a good nickname and it was okay to use," I replied, defending myself. "If you want we can go back to Pinkie."

"No, no, MayBee is fine. In fact, it's a great name, and yes, I did say it was okay to use. I'm just teasing a little."

"Oh you," I complained, as I patted the top of her head. "What am I going to do with you?"

Ellen was chuckling as Mary Beth and I went back and forth. Finally she asked how I'd come up with such an unusual nickname. I related the story from earlier that day; of being in Rachael's room setting up her computer system and how I came up with the nickname. Ellen seemed impressed with both my reasoning, in the creation of the nickname, and that in just over a week we had a working system for Rachael.

Dr. Harris was waiting for us, "Good evening ladies. If you'll come with me we'll take care of the business at hand and you can be on your way."

I looked up at Ellen and quietly asked, "He already knows why we’re here?"

"Yes, Dr. Harris is involved in the health of every student here. Naturally, he was informed that you might have a problem. He wanted to run the tests the first day you were here. I convinced him to wait, hoping that you could provide information that would make these tests unnecessary."

"Sorry I wasn't more helpful," I mumbled softly.

"That's all right Dear, nothing to be sorry about. We'll just run the tests and then we’ll deal with whatever we find."

Dr. Harris led us into a small examination room. He had his back to me as he washed his hands, as he told me what he would be doing, "All right Matilda, if you would please take off your coat and hop up on the table, I just need a couple of tubes of blood, from your arm, to send out to be tested."

"I guess I'm not exactly dressed for this occasion," I giggled as I removed my coat, revealing the long sleeve dress I'd worn to church.

Dr. Harris chuckled when he turned around, "Well, it is a very nice dress. Getting to your arm is going to be a bit awkward, though."

I knew that the end of the sleeve was too tight to push up past my elbow. At that time, I only saw one option.

"Oh well, everyone here has seen me undressed before," I stated, as undid the button at the back of my dress, and started fumbling with the zipper.

Ellen moved behind me to assist, and commented, "Not so fast, young lady, it's not proper to get completely undressed if it isn't necessary." I turned my head to look at Ellen, questioningly. "Let's try extracting one arm before we resort to disrobing."

With Ellen's help, I was able to remove my right arm from the sleeve of the dress, revealing only a portion of my silk camisole. Dr. Harris was very professional. He extracted blood into three different test tubes. Oddly, he labeled them Jayne Doe 92994. When I inquired about the labeling, Dr. Harris informed us that the school didn't have the equipment or supplies to perform the needed tests, owing to the fact that they'd never had the need until now. He would be taking the samples to a clinic in Ogden and they would relay the results back to him in a day or two.

After Dr. Harris had finished with me, Ellen escorted us back to our rooms. I picked up Nellie, along with her trunk, before sitting on the couch with Mary Beth. Ellen pulled the desk chair over and we talked while I changed Nellie's clothes and brushed her strawberry blonde hair.

'No, I didn't revert into the personality of a six-year-old like I did that first night, but I sure wished I could have. We didn't discuss anything important, trivial things like life and death, goals and dreams, the choices we make in life and their consequences … Like I said nothing important. I wish I didn't know about the "no contact rule." I really, really want to climb into my Mother's lap, to be held by her, and cry for a day or two. Talking with Ellen just isn't the same.'

Ellen eventually left me in the care of Mary Beth, who'd changed into her nightgown while Ellen and I talked. After Ellen left, Mary Beth helped me put away Nellie's things, then took off my shoes and stockings. Without any argument on my part, she led me into my bathroom and removed my dress and slip, leaving me to attend to, more personal matters. She returned about twenty minutes later to find me sitting on the toilet, panties around my knees, crying.

I realized that I was no longer alone when a towel landed on my lap. Looking up I saw a very concerned Mary Beth peering at me from the door. "Cover yourself," she instructed gently. After I rearranged the towel, covering myself, Mary Beth came over and stood next to me. Taking some tissue, she wiped away my tears, and then with some dry tissue she covered my nose and said "Blow." Then she slipped a nightgown over my head and worked my arms into the sleeves.

Putting her arms around me, she whispered, "Were you planning on spending the night in here?"

I shrugged my shoulders, as I sniffled and tried to push her arm away.

"Now what's that about? You think you can push me away so easily? Well, think again! I'm not going anywhere."

"B, But I d … don't want to in … infect you."

"Would you answer a question for me, who has been sleeping in whose arms for the last two weeks?"

"B … But ..."

"No buts! Whatever you might have, and I repeat MIGHT have, I'm probably already infected with it, IF it’s that contagious. I wonder if they know that we're still sleeping together. ... Probably not, if they did, they would have had Dr. Harris test my blood as well. Oh well, I guess that doesn't matter right now. What does matter is that you finish up in here. Nellie and I will be waiting on your bed. If you're not out in ten minutes I'm coming in after you." With that warning, Mary Beth left me alone.

About twelve minutes later, I slowly emerged from the bathroom. True to her word, Mary Beth was sitting on my bed, holding Nellie and Samantha. “Come here best friend. You look like you need a hug.”

“I could use something a little stronger than a hug. You wouldn't happen to have some laughing gas, would you?"

"Sorry, no."

"How about a small time machine, or perhaps a magic mirror?”

“Now there’s the Munchkin we all know and love. Let’s get some sleep. You’ll see; The sun'll come out tomorrow.”

"Don't you start singing."

"But I thought you liked my singing voice?"

"I do, I think you sing like an angel. Just not right now, and not THAT song."

Chuckling, Mary Beth consented to my request, "All right, but I still want you in bed."

“But it isn’t even eight o’clock.”

“Well, you have been complaining about not getting enough sleep, time to catch up. Come on, get under these covers,” she commanded, as she stood by the side of my bed holding the blankets.

“Oh all right, but I’m not tired and I’m not going to sleep.”

“Of course you’re not. Just lie down and hug Nellie while I pull the covers up. That’s a good girl. I see you left your bathroom light on; you know, it makes a pretty good night light. I’ll turn off the bedroom lights and crawl in … Z Z Z z z z z

* * * To Be Continued * * *

Comments will be gratefully accepted, either left below or sent to me at
[email protected]

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

MayBee I am confused, Matilda needs one more answer.

Hello Penny!! ^___^ ;-D
I can tell this chapter took some time to write and get it to flow right. Congratulations on a well written chapter. A lot going on in this chapter. The impromptu pool party, Rachel getting wired up, the expected heckling along the way, and a little bit of everything else thrown in. Then we have one part of the mystery solved about the white van. Of course we hope the tests come back negative. Now it is just a matter of taking care of Bart and his dad's attitude problem. Of course it might be convenient for Matilda not to remember. But will she be in a better state of mind if she remembered some details? That remains to be seen. But maybe, MayBee...oh I am getting confused...waiting patiently for the next chapter...MayBee!! arrghh...Have a wonderful week. Halloween is here. Don't get too frightened and look out for the little goblins and princesses on the streets. swlambs!!! (Sealed with laughter and MayBees.)

::catching breath::

Wow...another serious roller coaster ride. I've been wonderin' (and kinda dreadin') when what happened with that white van would start catchin' up with Matilda. Part of me just wants to hold her an' just make all the hurtin' go away. Another part of me wants to find them people ... and make them hurt ... a lot. *sighing*

I really hope things work out good for Matilda and Mary Beth and everyone else. I know (okay, I'm hoping) wrongs is gonna be righted and things will work out, but it's still hard bein' patient.

Thank you so much for sharing such an amazing story, Penny. It kinda helps keep up my hope that even when bad things happen, that doesn't always mean the bad people get away with it.

{{{warm huggles)))

Heather Rose Brown :)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Almost There

Hey almost there Your in the 40 marks almost 50 at least for this part of your stories.

After the raid...

...how long will it be before we find out how Bart's dad avoided detection and maintained immunity from prosecution for him and Bart for so long...?

Only one way to find out - read on!

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

It just hit me...

...I wonder if that no contact policy is only applied to students? You might also apply it to faculty as well. If this is the case then matty's mother is separated from her two oldest children. It would seem prudent to have at least as stringent a hiring policy as they do a recruiting policy. That also might play into my supposition that Rachel is already earmarked for the school (probably the next cycle).

Drug induced memory loss

Jamie Lee's picture

Rachael's computer project has kept year A rather busy and out of trouble. With that project completed wonder what they'll come up with next?

Finding out that dad and son finally got busted has to be a great relief, especially for the school Bart terrorized. But while that's good news there is now a waiting game to see if Matilda will need a regular course of medication because of being a victim of Bart's.

Maybe something else is happening not yet known. Maybe having her memory blocked by that drug is affecting her current actions.

Others have feelings too.