Education in the Hills - chapter 17

Printer-friendly version

Hills_title.jpg


"Revenge is a dish best served cold.”
But, Justice doesn’t leave a bitter taste in your mouth.

I would like to thank my dear friends,
Angel O’Hare, Karen Page, Joni W., Annette MacGregor and Holly Logan
for their kindness, help, support, and input.

Education in the Hills
Chapter 17

By Penny Reed Cardon

It had been about five weeks that Mary Beth, Rachael, and I have been at this rather remarkable school, but it seems as if five months had passed. I finished my research concerning Bart and his family. Now I know more about them than anyone would ever want to know. It took us a while, but Mary Beth and I came up with what seemed like a good plan that should cover all the bases.

With the research done and a plan made, it was time for me to talk with Ellen. I knew she’d had something to do with rescuing the children from the estate in West Valley City, along with the arrest of those who were connected with the white van that came for me while I was at Whittier; I just wasn't sure how she had been involved. The way I had it figured, if she couldn't help with this, at least she could point me in the right direction.

'Now I know it’s possible to be both excited and scared at the same time. After all, I've spent all my free time for the last couple of weeks collecting information and devising a plan. I guess I've been obsessed with the idea of stopping Bart. I have to wonder, how much does Ellen know about what I've been doing? I mean, RJ knows about a lot of the information I've collected. I know that the staff get together in the evenings to discuss the students, I wonder how much he has told the others. It's odd that no one has said anything about what I've been doing or made any attempt to stop me. I wonder why? I guess I'll find out soon enough.'

"Come in," Ellen called out, when I knocked on her office door.

"Hello Matilda," Ellen greeted me with a smile, from behind her desk. "Please, have a seat."

Because she didn’t get up from behind her desk, I started thinking that perhaps I was in trouble for something ... again. I was about to sit in one of the chairs across from her, when I paused before I sat down.

Ellen interrupted me, before I sat down, "Oh Matilda, I’m sorry if I gave you that impression. Please, have a seat on one of the couches. I'll join you in a moment."

‘All right! I'm not in trouble, that's a relief.’

I sat on the couch to the right of Ellen's chair and nervously waited as she finished what she was working on. Fortunately for my nerves, and to save a few of my fingernails, I didn't have to wait very long for Ellen to finish what she was working on.

“There we are, with that out of the way I can concentrate on what you want to talk about,” she said, as she joined me. I don't mean she sat in her chair; I mean she joined me ... on the couch.

'Oops, maybe I'm in trouble after all.'

"Well, Matilda, I was wondering when we'd be having this talk."

"What do you mean?"

"You've come to see how I’ve been doing, haven't you?"

"What?"

"You do want to know how my research is progressing, if I’ve found a way of stopping Bart, don't you?"

"Well, sort of. I mean I -"

"I've been expecting you to come see me for some time. I wish I had better news, but I haven't come up with very much useful information. Every avenue I went down ended with a brick wall. Once I mentioned the Roberts by name, every contact and source of information, I had, went silent. I couldn't even call in any favors on this one. It seems that every string I pulled broke. I'm hoping you've found something I couldn't."

‘Well, that confirms that she knows what I've been doing, at least part of it. I wish I’d been watching her, rather than my feet. I wonder if I can really get away with anything they don't know about. Wait, I did surprise everyone with the PA system, so maybe they don't know everything.'

"So, you know about the research I've been doing?"

"Some of it, I was a little confused, wondering what may have lead you in the direction you did. Why don't you tell me what you were thinking, and where you’re planning to go?"

"Well, mostly I've been thing about Bart, and how to put a stop to his reign of terror. After all, it’s one thing for him to pick on me, but what he did to Mary Beth was uncalled for. And what he did to Rachael ..." I paused for a moment to wipe my eyes; as I remembered the first time I saw Rachael in the school’s hospital. While fighting to keep control of my emotions, I continued, softly, "What ... what he did to Rachael was unforgivable. He cannot be allowed to go on abusing and attacking the other children. He must be punished for his crimes. His victims deserve to know that some justice has been done"

“Why is it one thing for him to pick on you, Matilda? Is it alright for him to hurt and humiliate you, but not others?”

‘Uh, oh. Maybe I am in trouble again.

“Well, um, no, I mean, I didn’t mean to say that I deserved to be beat up and humiliated. It’s just that ... well, I’m different, and bullies seem to be attracted to people who are different.”

“That’s very mature of you, Matilda. You are correct, just because someone is different doesn’t mean that they should be persecuted. Unfortunately, it does happen all too often.”

I nodded, confirming that I understood and agreed.

"But, yes, attacking an eight year old with a club is certainly unforgivable. Unfortunately, my research has indicated that his parents have far too many connections. I don't think there is anything we can do about Bart … legally …"

'Perhaps I should shock Ellen a bit, just for fun.’

"You're right about the legal system not being able to help us, that's why I think we'll need to take matters into our own hands. What I'd like to do, is for Mary Beth and I to suddenly appear on the school grounds at Whittier, Bart would be so surprised that a group of friends could surround him.

"A properly applied handkerchief, soaked with chloroform, and he'd be sleeping like a baby. We could take him to a secluded location where we would change Bart's clothes. After he's diapered and in a frilly, toddler style, dress, we'd give him a shot of something that would make him need to wear diapers for a long time. Then we load him into a van and have someone drive him to a sleazy little reform school I found in Kansas. For the right price they'd keep Bart in diapers, short frilly dresses, and they'll see that he has a different roommate every night, until he's twenty-one."

The look on Ellen's face could only be described as horrified. I'm sure she was shocked and amazed that I'd come up with such a dastardly plan.

Eventually Ellen found that her voice still worked, "Matilda, I ... We ... I don't ... you can't ... I mean ... we could never be involved with, or condone such a plan. I don't know-"

"But he deserves it! Someone that treats others the way he does should be locked away where they can't hurt anyone."

"I agree that Bart shouldn't be allowed to hurt others, but we can't take the law into your own hands. That would make us as bad as he is."

"But the law doesn't work in this case. You said so yourself 'there nothing we can do legally.' Did I misunderstand your words?"

Ellen sat quietly for a few seconds. It was obvious to me that I'd shocked her. She didn't know what to say. As she opened her mouth preparing to speak, I interrupted.

"Ellen, please forgive me. That was just my evil streak sneaking out again. I know that we could never do anything like that." The look on Ellen face was priceless. It was somewhere between horrified, shocked, and relieved. Slowly I continued to explain why I said what I did, "You have to understand, that as one of Bart's victims, and knowing over a dozen of his other victims, including MayBee and Rachael, it's what we'd like to see happen."

Ellen looked somewhat relieved, but still apprehensive. "So that isn't the plan you want to propose?"

"No," I replied sadly. Part of me was sad that Bart won't get a taste of his own medicine, but on the other hand ..., "Like I said, it's what my evil side would like to see happen. However, after RJ and I talked about not using my talents for personal reasons, and the difference between justice and revenge, I did some more thinking. Then MayBee and I talked about it for a long time before we agreed that it wouldn't be the right thing to do with Bart. I came to realize that what my evil side would want is revenge, not justice. Besides, I don't think I would be happy with myself if we did that. Perhaps for a moment, maybe, but not really."

"And what about the school in Kansas? Was that part of your evil fantasy?"

"Actually no, that’s not a fantasy. I did find a place that would do just what I described. I found it before I talked with RJ and MayBee. Now I didn't exactly promise RJ that I wouldn't use my skills for personal reasons, I just told him I think about it and talk with MayBee."

"And have you?"

"Which? Talked about it or thought about it?"

"Yes."

"Well, I have thought about it. That's when I realized that what I wanted was revenge, not justice. MayBee and I really haven't talked about how and when I should exercise my nimble fingers."

"I guess that's a start. Shall we get back to what you think we can do to see that a little justice is done?"

Slipping back into the real world and ignoring my evil streak I continued, "Okay. I still have to agree with you, as long is Bart hiding behind his father's protective coat tails, and the witness protection program, there's nothing anyone can do. Therefore, I think we'll have to attack both problems at the same time."

"So what are you suggesting we do, and what did you mean when you said witness protection program?"

Temporarily ignoring the second half of Ellen's question, I continued, "As you said in the beginning, there is nothing the legal system can do with Bart, right now. As long as his father is protecting him no, one can touch him. However, if Bart and his parents are separated, that is if they are separated electronically, we will have a very good chance of seeing justice done in both arenas. The way I see it, someone created new identities for them once before to hide them. I think it's time to change their names again; this time so they can pay for their crimes. I'm pretty sure that Bart's parents would know something is wrong pretty fast. Most people access their bank accounts one way or another every other day, but when their cell phones are turned off they'd notice right away. His parents would be so preoccupied in unraveling their own problems they’ll probably overlook the fact that Bart was missing, at least for a few days. That would give us time to set a trap for Bart. When I'm finished there won't be any trail to follow, no clues left behind, no electronic records, no evidence to lead anyone to Bart, or back to us. All his parents will have left of Bart will be memories of their evil child. Of course, they'll be so busy with their own legal battles; they won't have much time to worry about him."

"Matilda, have you been sneaking into the year G political science classes?"

"No! Why would you think that?"

"Because you been talking a lot, but you haven't said anything," giggled Ellen.

We both laughed for a little while, before I responded, "All right Ellen, from the beginning, I can change all of the electronic record systems, birth certificates, social security, bank records, and credit cards, to give Bart's parents new names. Then the local authorities can deal with them. As for Bart, I'll make him an orphan. While his parents are scrambling to figure out what happened; Mary Beth and I, along with beta team can go after Bart-”

"Matilda, how do you know about beta team?"

‘Well, obviously they aren't keeping as close an eye on me as I thought they were. I guess RJ was right when he said he can't track my activities. I wonder how much I should tell Ellen? According to Mr. Peterson, she doesn't know about Joshua, but she does seem to know about everything else. I wonder how much trouble I'll be in if I do tell her everything I know, versus how much trouble I will be in if I don't?’

"Ellen, I'm not sure how much I can tell you."

"Matilda, I expect you to start at the beginning, I expect you to tell me the truth, and when you come to the end ... stop" Ellen replied sternly.

"Oh well," I sighed. Spreading my arms, I looked up towards the heavens and offered the challenge, “Here I am, Mr. Trouble. Come and get me." I took a deep breath, turned back to Ellen and continued. "Yes, I know about the Beta team. I also know who the members of the team are. I know about the extra training and information they receive before each field trip. I know that you're the psychiatrist for everyone on beta team. I know about the alpha team, that is their names, but not their faces. I also know about their recent activities. I know about Hayfield Hall, in England. I know that Hayfield is a smaller school than the Manor. I know about their Alpha and Beta teams and the names of the beta team members. I know that where we have a choir and orchestra, Hayfield only has an orchestra. I remember you mentioned someone named Katherine after I took the tests, before I was admitted here. I know that she’s your counterpart at Hayfield. I know about a school in Canada named Wardenclyffe, not to mention their alpha and beta teams. I know that their field trips are centered around theatrical performances of various styles. I found references to some other schools, but I couldn't tell if they are directly connected or not. I know that Mr. Peterson is being replaced. By the way, does he know yet?"

"No he doesn't, and you shouldn't know either, unless ..."

"Unless what?"

"Never mind; please continue."

'Oh shoot, that came from Joshua. Her reaction isn't what I would have expected, though. It's like she knows about Joshua ... I wonder. Oh well, this isn't the time.'

"Anyway, I also know that the choir's concerts are a cover, and the reason for the field trips is so the alpha team can collect information for the S.P.A. Obviously that means I know about the S.P.A. I know about the underground facilities here and in the valley to the north. I know that the S. P. A. has a safe house in whatever large city is near one of their schools. Lastly I know that ..." I took another deep breath, or was it a sigh? I shook my head as I finished, "... I'm probably in a lot of trouble ... again."

Ellen waited for more than a few seconds before she responded. I felt like a condemned girl on her back, for over an hour, looking up at the executioner, waiting for the blade to fall. "Well, as to the question of you being in trouble, that remains to be determined."

'I knew this was too good to be true.'

"I know you haven't been completely honest with me, but we'll discuss that another time," she continued.

'She's right about that, but how does she know? I wonder if she knows more than Mr. Peterson thinks she does. Could she be part of the ...'

"Yes Matilda, I did know about your research before you walked in here, at least part of it. That’s why I was so surprised by your first recommendation. I’m curious about the extent of your information, how you obtained it, and how you intend to use the information now that you have it."

Ellen must have read the bewilderment on my face as she started laughing.

A few moments later, still giggling, she asked, "Would you please show me the information you've collected? Then we'll discuss what you plan to do. I'm not sure I understand why you think that you and Mary Beth should be involved. Also, I don't like the idea of faking records and taking Bart from his parents; that’s not something we like to see happen."

I looked up at Ellen with surprise.

"What?" she asked.

“But … you have the no contact rule which keeps us away from our families, even though my mom works here. How is that different from taking someone like Bart away from his parents?”

Ellen obviously got the connection as she sat up straight and glared down at me. "Another time perhaps, for now let’s stick to discussing Bart."

'It's a good thing I've kept the some of my research on my PDA; at least Ellen won't see me access the files I stored on Joshua.'

I started by going over the public information, school and hospital records, the stuff that would normally be found by the casual onlooker.

"That's exactly what I'd found during my initial investigation, leaving us with no avenue of recourse to pursue," Ellen commented.

'I thought Ellen's research skills were better than that. I wonder if she's hiding things from me or testing me. Could be either one, after all I'm not supposed to know everything I know.'

I went on to explain how the statistical information I'd collected, didn't agree with the creation dates on the files. After that explanation, I showed Ellen some of the bank information. After Ellen had digested the preliminaries, I offered her my speculation that Roberts were the recipients of special allowances from the local authorities.

"Matilda, I'll admit that everything you've shown me indicates that the Roberts are living under assumed identities. I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe that the local authorities would ignore a reign of terror running through the valley?"

Reluctantly, I accessed my directory on Joshua. I showed Ellen the records from the Salt Lake City Police department, the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office, and the Country Sheriff's Office. All of which clearly indicated that whatever the Roberts did, everyone who should have been protecting the community had been told to look the other way.

"I don't believe it, not around here. I've known the District Attorney for a number of years. He's always impressed me as an honest man who sincerely cares about people he serves and seeing that justice is done."

"I don't know about the District Attorney himself, but according to computer records, his office hasn't acted on a single complaint against the Roberts. I found the same thing with every law enforcement agency in the area. Like you, I thought that it was more than just a little strange, there had to be a reason for it. The only explanation I could come up with was that the Roberts are being protected by someone. After eliminating several possibilities, I thought of the Federal Witness Protection Program. This meant I had more work to do; I still needed proof. If I was right the best place to find the proof I needed was the computers at the US Marshal's-"

"MATILDA, you didn't?" Ellen interrupted.

"Ooookayyyy ... I didn't."

"MATILDA!"

"What?"

"Did you, or did you not, hack your way into the network at the US Marshal's office?"

"Well ... Which way will I be in the most trouble?"

"You'll be in trouble if you don't tell me the truth," she scolded.

"From down here, it looks like I'm going to be in trouble either way," I mumbled. Hesitantly, I looked up. Ellen was waiting for an answer. "Oh, all right, yes I did! But it was the only way to find out if the Roberts were under their protection, and it was the only reason I could come up with that would explain why they got away with everything they did," I blurted out, defending my actions.

"Does RJ know what you've been doing?"

"Well, I talked with him a few days ago, but that was before I dug into the US Marshal's system. ... He just didn't seem to understand what I was showing him."

"Matilda, you're wrong about RJ. He understood everything you showed him and knew what you were implying. Why do you think he told you what information you needed to prove your theory?"

"He told you I talked with him?"

"He didn't give me all the details, but we have discussed it. He is disappointed that you don't feel like you can trust him."

"But ... He ... I mean, he didn't -"

"Perhaps you should reconsider your position regarding RJ."

"Are you telling me I should-?"

"I'm just saying ... you should think about it. Now then, what is it you think we can do about Bart and his parents? … And you still haven't convinced me that you and Mary Beth should be involved."

Slowly I went over the details of what I could do to distract Bart's parents. This would also give local law enforcement the opening they needed to take action against them. According to the data from the county District Attorneys office, both of Bart's parents have arrest warrants on hold for a number of minor crimes. They are also suspected to be involved with child slavery and in marketing of child pornography. I also informed Ellen that, according to the information I found at the US Marshal’s office, the US Department of Justice no longer needs Mr. Robert’s services, as a witness.

Then I explained the diversion I had in mind so the Beta Team could collect some incriminating evidence against Bart. I told Ellen everything we had planned for Bart. There would be enough evidence in place to get him convicted of at least some of his numerous crimes. We hoped we could use Ellen's contacts at the District Attorney’s office to recommend to the judge that Bart serve his time out of state, for two reasons. First, to help reduce the overcrowding in the local juvenile facilities, which are small. Second, to make it harder for anyone who might try to locate him. We found a lovely, privately run, youth detention center in the middle of the Nevada desert, white buildings, blazing sun, blistering sand, and no shade outside the buildings.

"That's some plan," Ellen conceded, once we'd finished. “First, I'd still like Bart to stay with his parents, as long as possible. Second, I know I don't like the idea of using you as bait. I'd hate to see anything happen to you."

"Well, I don't think keeping them together for a few extra days will make much difference. Bart's parents will be in the Salt Lake County jail, and Bart would be in one of the juvenile detention centers. Besides, I don't think the Utah Division of Corrections is set up for family oriented cells. Of course we could always go back to plan "B."

"You're right about the family jail cells," Ellen giggled. "Would you like to tell me what plan B is? That isn't your evil streak fantasy, is it?"

"Oh no, we started out looking for someone who had enough influence over Bart to get him to stop being the bully that he is. We sort of changed the plan after we had all the information about the Roberts."

"So who is this 'We' you keep referring and did you find anyone that could persuade Bart to stop his evil ways."

"The we is MayBee and me. The only Plan B we came up with would be to send word to the Delkor family in Philadelphia; they're still looking for an Aric Marsh. He was one of their accountants, until he embezzled twenty million dollars and disappeared, along with his ledgers. To keep from being wasted he made a deal with the US Attorney General and turned state’s evidence. According to the information I've gathered, Aric had a wife, Sylvia, and a son, Carson. It seems that Carson was kind of small for his age and would now be fourteen, instead of a large ten that they're passing Bart off as currently."

"And just what would happen if we sent word to Philadelphia?"

"Well ... the Roberts wouldn't be hurting anyone," I replied, light heartedly. "After all, it's kind of hard to do anything mean from the bottom of the ocean with your feet planted in concrete. Of course they wouldn't learn anything from it, well, not in this life."

"Exactly. Because everyone should have a chance to learn from their mistakes, I think we'll forget about plan B for now. If I remember correctly, in plan A Bart and his parents died in a plane crash in China two years ago, with someone else taking their place for the next two years."

"Yes, the plane crash was very tragic-"

"I can see how upset you are at the loss of your friend Bart," Ellen teased.

"Oh yes, I was devastated by the news. It took me an eternity to get over the loss."

"Zero point six five seconds?"

"At least." We both took a moment for giggling; as we reminisced over the reference to First Contact.

"I think I would also suggest we forget about plan A."

"What?" I sputtered. "You want to go back to the revenge plan?"

"No, of course not. I think we need to come up with a plan C. You see, your plan A has you changing files and records across most of the country so that one family took the place of another. Let alone the fact that everyone knows Bart and his parents by sight. There's no way for your plan to work."

Sadly I sank down into the couch. "So they're going to get away with everything they've done?" I mumbled.

"Not at all my dear. You have the right idea, you just need to go back a little further in time. I mean, you can't take someone who's been living in the same place for four years and change their identity halfway through that time. You have to go all the way back to the beginning."

"I'm not sure I understand what ... Oh, I get it. Go back to when the Witness Protection Program placed them in Salt Lake."

"Now you've got the idea. The only system you need to make changes to is the US Marshal's. So tell me, can you get back into those computers and change all the records that relate to the physical characteristics of the Marsh family? You know, physical descriptions, fingerprints, identifying marks, dental records, and DNA records, if there are any."

"Oh yes, I can get in. I've been into them more than once. So what you're suggesting is that we change things so it looks like the Witness Protection Program created new identities for the Marsh family. Only someone else stepped into that identity."

"That's it exactly. It would appear that someone killed the Marsh family and then took their place, after the Attorney General no longer needed them; the alternate identity having already been established. All we would need to do is get the local authorities to do an identity check. They'd find out that the Roberts aren't the people that were being protected and -"

"The rest, as they say, is history. And the Roberts, who have a long list of complaints against them, will get the privilege of spending lots of time at a state run institution of higher education, thinking about what went wrong. I like it, there are a lot less records to be changed, fewer chances for mistakes, and less of a chance that anything could tracked back to us."

"You seem to know a lot about how computers work for someone so young. I'll have to talk to RJ about his classes and what he's teaching."

"To be honest, and fair to RJ, I learned most of what I know before I came here."

"Really?"

"RJ showed more surprise than that, when I told him."

"Yes, well, I guess I had the chance to get over being surprised when RJ told me about your internet tutor several weeks ago. That doesn't explain his teaching you how to infiltrate secure systems, like the US Marshal's Office."

"RJ's just taught me how to not leave any traces when I go into a system. He didn't teach me how to, what did you call it, infiltrate?" Ellen nodded, and I continued, "Anyway, getting into a system is just something I ... well, I just kind of feel my way through."

“I see. Well now, with this new plan I don't see a need for you, Mary Beth, or the beta team to have any involvement. Wouldn't you agree?"

"No, I don't see that at all. Someone will have to tell the Roberts that they've lost their protected status."

"I think an anonymous letter will be enough for that, one to the Roberts and one to the DA's office."

"I agree that a letter to the DA's office will start the ball rolling on their end, so they could make the needed inquiries. I think we should give the DA a couple of days to work things out before Mary Beth and I tell the Roberts."

"You want to go head to head with Mister Roberts?" Ellen exclaimed, in shock. "Are you crazy?"

"I've been accused of many things; including being crazy, but this is not one of those times. I have no intention of being within five miles of Mr. Roberts, I plan on telling Bart. You see, if we send a letter to the Roberts, they would take their money and disappear overnight, never to be seen again. They can't know anything has changed until one of them does something to get noticed by the police. The way I figure it, Bart will become rather excited when I give him the good news, that he and his family aren't protected anymore. Beta team will have to be close by so they can video Bart throwing the first punch, along with the rest of the incident. The rest of the team will be responsible for keeping me alive and calling the police. That should be enough of a catalyst to get all the local agencies involved."

"You don't honestly expect me to approve of using you as bait, do you?"

"The real question is, do I like the idea of being a punching bag? Of course not, but someone has to tell them. I think of it as one last act of protection I can give my friends. Besides, I want to see the look on Bart's face when I tell him that one of his victims has arranged for his downfall and eventual punishment. That alone will be worth whatever happens to me."

Ellen thought long and hard before she responded, slowly shaking her head. "After a time you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting."

"It is not logical, but it is often true," I whispered, as I completed the quote.

"Very well," Ellen sighed, "I still don't believe you've completely proven why the Roberts have a free ride. Even the Witness Protection Program won't give them complete immunity.”

“I didn’t think so, but that’s all I’ve come up with, that and all the money they have. I think it started with the Witness Protection Program. Then I think they used their money to buy someone very high up. I just haven’t been able to prove that part.”

“A good possibility, in any event, you’ve given me more avenues of research to pursue. Let's call the plan that we've came up with a preliminary and I'll add my recommendation. We'll need to discuss this some more, after I do some additional research. Tell me Matilda, do you think you can repeat everything we've just come up with?"

"Yes, but why?"

"Very simply, I can't approve this kind of operation. It's true I have a lot of influence around here, it just doesn't go quite that far."

"Sooo, who do I need to talk with and how hard is it going to be to talk them into giving their approval?"

"You're going to have to present your proposal to two people, Mr. Peterson-"

"That's it; I might as well forget it and give up now. There's no way I'll convince Mr. Peterson," I interrupted, shaking my head. "A snowball on the sidewalk in Phoenix has better odds than I have. He's still mad at me because I couldn't keep his secrets, and had to tell MayBee about Jooo ho, ho, ho, ... um, never mind."

'That was close; I'd better pay more attention to what my tongue is doing when my mouth is open.'

Ellen gave me the strangest look, before she continued. It was as if she knew what I almost said and was surprised that I stopped myself. "Nonsense, what makes you think Mr. Peterson is mad at you?"

"Oh, just the way he looks at me in the mornings, at breakfast. Maybe I should have Jenny hold his hand while he's looking at me," I giggled. "I'll bet that would give her with some interesting emotions to read."

"Oh, I don't think that will be necessary. He's just got a lot on his mind. Someone else has made a request for some students to assist with a problem outside the school. Making that decision is causing him a lot of stress."

"You said I'd need to talk to two people, who's the second one?"

"He's the one that would ultimately make the decision to approve or deny your request-"

"Ellen, you're not building my confidence," I mumbled. "Will you go with me?"

"Sorry, this is something you'll have to do on your own. However, from past experience, I think you have a very good chance of winning them over. Just remember to smile, and be yourself."

"Smile and be myself? Oh thanks a lot. … That's a big help," I muttered sarcastically.

Ellen was chuckling as she called Mr. Peterson and set up an appointment for me to see him the next day.

I had a long talk with Mary Beth later that night explaining all the changes Ellen and I had made to the plan, and why.

"Matilda, didn't you tell me, that Mr. Peterson told you, that only four people know about this Joshua, computer, thing?"

"That's what he said; course counting you there's five."

"Right; but from your talk with Ellen and from the things you shouldn't have said, it sounds to me that she knows lots more than Mr. Peterson thinks she does."

"I've been thinking the same thing; the problem is I don't know how to find out for sure. I can't ask her straight out, I guess I'll have to try to do a little fishing."

"Fishing? You can't go fishing now, there's almost three feet of snow outside."

"Not that kind of fishing, silly. I mean fishing for information. By asking the right but seemingly innocent questions we can discover what we want to know."

"I get it; you want to get information from Ellen and Mr. Peterson without them knowing that's what you’re doing."

"Exactly, my dear Watson."

"Oh, so I'm Watson again, would that be Mary Beth Watson or Emma Watson? I guess that makes you Miss Matilda Holmes."

I had to stop giggling so I could reply, "Not quite, I would be The Munchkin Holmes and you would be my MayBee Watson."

We continued our friendly teasing for a while, before continuing our talk.

"So, what are you going to tell Mr. Peterson?"

"Just what Ellen and I talked about, I guess. I'll probably throw in a little more detail, but not much."

"Are you going to tell him he's going to be replaced?"

"Nooo ... I don't think so. Ellen did say he didn't know about it, and I really don't think it would be right for me to be the one to tell him he's being reassigned. You know who I need to talk with? RJ! That is, before I talk with Mr. Peterson. He's the only one that I know of that should have all the answers."

"Can you trust him?"

"You know, five days ago I'd have said no, but today ... today I'd have to say yes. At least, I trust him almost as much as I trust you." I took Mary Beth's hand as I answered her last question.

"Are you trying to get mushy again?" she sarcastically asked.

"Not at all. I'm just telling you that I trust you and I'm emphasizing my point with a little tactile contact."

"Uh, uh. So answer me this, my little munchkin. Why are your eyes sparkling."

"I'm sorry," I apologized, letting go of her hand. "I always feel this way when I'm around you. The fact that you don't think of me the same way doesn't change how I feel."

"I know, I know, but don't get carried away," she commanded. I'm sure I looked like a sad puppy dog, as I looked into her eyes. "Oh, come on you nut, let’s say our prayers and get to bed. It sounds like you're in for another rough day, tomorrow."

"You're right about tomorrow. You want to come with me when I talk with RJ?"

"Umm ... sure, why not? Just don't ask me to go with you when you talk with Mr. Peterson, you're on your own there."

"Your kindness and support are overwhelming," I sarcastically teased.

"I know, I know. Being kind to everyone is a flaw in my character," she replied jokingly.

After some more joking and teasing we settled down, read our scriptures, and said our nightly prayers. After we were finished I crawled into my bed. Mary Beth, as she'd done for the last several nights, went into her room, leaving the door part way open. Try as I may, I couldn’t stop myself from shedding a few silent tears, each night as I was left alone. What made me wonder about Mary Beth and how she truly felt about me is that I’d hear the muffled sound of someone crying, coming from her room. I suppose I should have asked her about it, no secrets and all that, but I didn't. After all, I think I know how she feels; she just couldn't seem to admit it or understand it. Besides, I didn't want her to be embarrassed.

* * * To Be Continued * * *

Comments will be gratefully accepted, either left below or sent to me at
[email protected]

up
168 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

My appologies to my dozen or

My appologies to my dozen or so fans (I think there's really only about 16). I know you've been waiting a long time for this chapter, it's been a very busy summer). A lot of changes went into this chapter, I hope it was worth the wait.

For your enjoyment and to say thank you for your encouragement, chapter 18 is completed and I'll post it as soon as this one scrowls off the front page. So if you want to see it sooner, get more stories posted (I'm sure Erin won't mind).

Huggs & Giggles
Penny

fan count

Well, you can count me in as a fan as well ;)

Love your work and very glad to hear more is coming shortly! :)

Love,
Amber

Great Chapter!

Piper's picture

This is another GREAT chapter in a wonderful series. We see another hint about this Mysterious Wardenclyffe.... I hope people get posting soon, I can't wait for the next chapter.

-HuGgLeS-
-P




"She was like a butterfly, full of color and vibrancy when she chose to open her wings, yet hardly visible when she closed them."
— Geraldine Brooks


I'M a Fan But don't write very often

mostly I read & enjoy. Most of my reading over the years (about 3 to 5 books a month) has been from the library or purchased and then exchanged with other readers. Recently I have discovered the on-line sites for stories, and find my self getting hooked.

The stories here on BC, as on Sapphires Place, Stardust, Spearfish lake, and the MORFS have really caught my interest.

I'm sorry I never thought to write a reply to any of the stories, but think that i should change that.

I won't write after every submission, but at least once in a while, just so you will know that you have many admirers out here.

Actually I am probably envious [sp?] as you can write & I can't

Anyway PLEASE KEEP UP THE GREAT STORIES.

You Should Never

You should never judge by the voted count especially if you don't keep an eye on it. It is up in the 40's as well as another part of yours well others are in the 30's you should judge more by the number of readers count that is listed at the bottom of the story.

The Munchkin Strikes Again!!!! [:::-)

If she were to ever team up with David in Hayfield Hall and Eugene Tucker of Saga Of Tuck, they could take over the world!! I just wonder what career she will have when she graduates. I seriously doubt that she'll ever grow up.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

EITHills

WOW
Another great posting of eith.
Who knows what about whom.
Plan a. Dress Bart in a pink dress and stand him up in front of his piers
at the school then to jail.
I hope the Munchkin does not did to deep of a hole for herself.

Don't sweat it , Penny

I am not exactly Mr On-time myself.

You post when you post and that is not predictable, so what? This is all gone for fun here and to exorcise or is exercise our demons so it's not like any of us is on a set schedule. The quality of what you post is high so a bit of a wait is no big deal.

As for me I have a huge chunk of Timeout undergoing a test read ... Janet, how are you coming on that?

But then I owe Paula_D a test read on a new story, looks good by the way, and I am horridly overdue on a review of something Angela Rasch sent me over a year ago. See, you're a piker when it comes to procrastination, Penny.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

We ARE still here!

Thank you, Penny, for another chapter. I think your fan base is much larger than you realize---I just think that most to not reply and forget to vote. Having to sign in to the site before votes register, eliminates you knowing who is a fan.

Anyway, since your last post, I have re-read all the previous chapters as I tend to forget what the current Matilda is up to. I love the story, and I am desiring that Mary Beth will show a little more love for the Munchkin.

Please continue with your postings as often as you can 'cause we ARE here waiting.

Your are GREAT.

Number thirteen

on your fan list.

I think that you should post this story more often -- I'm an old fog(g)ie, and kinda forget what happened in the previous chapter.

Em, ten only? That's about (100 X 1200) squared too few.

Also, what programming language(s) does the school teach? An inquiring mind wants to know.

Annie in PA

Ahh.. a new chapter to wet the whistle

It is drooling so much, I can't whistle a good tune now. I'll have to wait and finish reading this chapter to do it. Get cleaned up and then I can whistle ... giggle....

Hello Penny!! ^___^ ;-D

Yes another long time, no write. But at least we are patient and drooling for the next chapter when it comes out.

I see that Matilda has considered many options on how to 'nail' Bart. Perhaps cherry red nails might do for starters. giggle... What ever the outcome is, I'm sure it will be a dish served ice-cold!!! Don't forget the appetizers and desert for this meal. They should be just as good. I wonder how Bart's mom feels about all this? Is she disgusted by her husband and son's attitude and shennigans? Does she want a divorce from him to finally get away from the two monsters? She is probably pressured to stay married because of the complicated mess. Then she is real victim of this whole sordid mess. But... but... if she is whole heartedly involved in this. Then she deserves the ice-cold dish as well.

Well take care Penny. Thanks again for another great chapter. Waiting patiently for the next one. Sealed with lots of drooling whistling laughter!!! swlodwl!!! Ooooh, now that's a mess. Excuse me while I go clean up... giggle...

2nd the Very Interesting Wonderful Story

Penny; I must be number seventeen of the fans if your counting. I love this story and what someone else said I'm a senior also and sometimes haveto go look at the previous chapter to catch myself up so, But I will wait until you post the next chapter and don't rush it for us seniors! Richard

Richard

29 votes and counting,

Our dear author doth delude herself in thinking she has only a dozen fans. 29 votes nearly triples her estimate, and there are those who still read and say/do nothing.

Another good chapter some things explained, some still to be explained, like what the heck is SPA standing for?

Maybee next chapter?

Many thanks for sharing, I did enjoy it.

A

Education in the Hills Chapter 17

Hi Penny, I for one always look forward to your next story and Karen's. Like many others we eagerly await the next chapter.

SHARPHAWLAD (Sharp)

SHARPHAWLAD (Sharp)

Reactions

Hello Penny!
I like to see another chapter of Munchkins story. Its interesting what our little Munchkin will do at the end about Bart. If it would be on me, I probably would act earlier than I would say anything to others on principle that what they don't know, don't hurts them. The Ellens reaction to comparing "not ever seeing again" rule with Black Bart is also thing that very interesting and one wants to see, what will happen next. In one sentece: your way of writing is very addictive. So keep it on!
Your fan
Robin

Smack the nail on the head

Jamie Lee's picture

Ellen and others still haven't realized how Matilda's mind works. She learns as much by what's not said as she does by what they do say.

Ellen is the latest to be on Matilda's 'they know more' list. She's also basically giving Matilda permission to continue with her searching. And upon hearing where Matilda has searched, she hasn't said anything about reporting Matilda to Mr. Peterson or security.

Matilda doesn't realize she's being guided by the staff to do exactly what she's doing. She hasn't figured out yet that she got in trouble for messing with the PA but not for the US Marshall's service, the DA, the banks, and what other systems she's been into.

It possible the staff have gone about this all wrong, and they'll know for sure when Matilda figures out she's been used by the school.

Others have feelings too.