Michelle's Story - Part 2

Printer-friendly version

Michelle's Story - Part 2

Michael may still be in the closet, but he has been able to let his hair grow into a style that is still boyish (though a shop assistant does mistake him for a girl, despite his boy attire). A holiday in Skegness and another visit by Aunt Sally follow, before he finally begins school, and gets to make a friend. Meanwhile, John hears about the events involving his estranged brother Adam.

Michelle's Story – Part 2

It was June, and James and Emma were looking forward to the summer holidays. Michael was too, even though he had been spending every day at home. For him, the summer holidays meant that starting school was drawing nearer.

John had decided to give Sally a call, just to see how she was getting on.

“Hi sis, how's things going?” he asked her.

“Fine. Business is well, mom is coping, but I do see her often. I know I'm speaking in advance, but I've got some time off in August. I'm thinking of visiting.” said Sally.

“Well, you know you're always welcome.” said John. “What days in August would they be?”

“Got something planned?” she asked.

“Holiday booked up in Skeggy, first week. Seeing that James and I are getting season tickets, we booked up dates prior to the season opener.” he replied.

“Skegness. Not bad. But first week won't be a problem, as I've got the second week off.” said Sally

“Ok, will do. Nothing more on Adam or is he still as stubborn as ever?” asked John.

“Haven't heard anything, or at least mom hasn't said anything.” said Sally. “But if you actually think he'll apologise to me, forget it. Never happening.”

“Oh, I seriously hope his family don't end up like him.” said John.

“If mom had her way, they wouldn't.” said Sally. “Well, got to go. Send my regards to Liz and the children. Bye now.”

“Bye.” said John.

“Any news from Sally?” asked Liz, as he returned to the living room.

“Mom's okay.” he said. “Plus she plans to visit in August.”

“Oh, the kids will be pleased.” said Liz.

Meanwhile, James was on the home computer. John had bought it to do some work at home. When the children arrived, he decided to allow them to use it when they were old enough. James had learnt to use computers at school and was learning how to type.

“How's it going?” asked John.

“Okay. Just doing an essay for English.” he said.

The computer was in the corner of the living room. It meant that the children could be monitored as they used it. He had recently taught Emma how to use it, though she still needed some help from time to time. With schools making more use of computers, it was becoming almost necessary for children to have regular access to one.

Liz had also learnt some of the basics and from time to time would browse the internet with Michael. Michael would get to choose which pages he wanted to go to, and Liz would find them. Whether it be playing games or looking for educational sites, Michael was put first.

This was leading to a problem. Michael was becoming very close to his mother and loved her company. Though he somewhat looked forward to starting school, he was going to miss his time with her.

His hair by now, was halfway down his neck and styled in the boyish bob he had seen so many American boys wear theirs. His hair was cut so that it remained short in front of his ears. As much as he tried, he couldn't get it to cover them.

For James, this was something he couldn't apprehend. He believed he was acting in Michael's best interests when he advised his brother to cut it short before starting school.

“I like it this way.” said Michael offishly. He was getting tired of James' complaints.

“Will you leave him alone.” said Liz. “Nobody has said anything bad about his hair.”

“But the boys at school will tease him!” said James.

“Who are you looking out for? Michael or yourself?” asked John.

“Michael of course.” said James, rather unconvincingly.

“Firstly, when Michael starts in September, you'll be starting 2nd year juniors. So you'll be in a different part of the school. So, there'll be no chance of your brother embarrassing you in front of your friends.” said John.

“I guess so.” said James.

“Look James, I know its all the go to be liked by your friends. If one of your friends suddenly appeared with long hair and was suddenly liked for it, would you follow his lead just to be as popular too?” added John.

“If it was fashionable, I would.” said James.

“Then you are just an attention seeker. Don't follow trends just for the sake of making friends. True friends like you for who you are, not what you look like.” said John.

“In other words, just be yourself.” said Liz.

James said nothing more and just watched as Michael began to finger his hair nonchalantly.

“Oh brother!” he said under his breath and went to his room.

When July came, John was at St James's Park getting himself and James season tickets for the new season. Michael and Emma went shopping with Liz instead.

“How can I help you and your two daughters?” asked one shop assistant.

“Sorry.” said Liz, realising what the assistant had said. “That one happens to be my son.” pointing to Michael.

The assistant looked at Michael closely and realised her mistake.

“I'm so sorry. He just looks cute with his long hair.” she replied.

Emma couldn't help but giggle.

“No, it's a trend from the States. I have seen other boys with similar styles.” said Liz, not too offended.

“Can I help you anyway?” said the assistant, hoping she hadn't ruined her sales opportunity.

“Yes, my daughter, that one, she needs some new shoes. Her old ones are getting small and I thought it would help if she had her feet measured.” said Liz,.

“Of course, will you just step over here please.” she replied, relieved.

A few minutes later and Emma was sporting a new pair of shoes. Liz thought it best that Michael have a new pair too, and bought him a pair from the boys section.

“She thought you were a girl.” smiled Liz as they left the shop. “Fancy that.”

“Yeah bro. Your long hair looks real cute!” giggled Emma, impersonating the assistant.

“Ok, leave him alone. Besides, his clothes are clearly boys ones.”

Michael wasn't sure whether to take the joke or not. He actually liked the assisitant's mistake.

“You sure you want to keep it this length?” Liz asked him when they stopped for something to eat.

“Yes.” he replied.

“Okay.” she replied. “But you do look cute.”

Her smile reassured Michael that she was just having a bit of fun.

They were joined by John and James later in the day.

“Got your tickets?” asked Liz.

“Got the receipts.” said John. “The tickets will arrive in the post.”

“Yep, good seats too.” said James. “Behind the goal.”

Liz decided to explain the misunderstanding with Michael, but just to John.

“Really?” he replied. “How did he take it?”

“Sort of embarrassed. But when I offered to get it cut, he refused. To be fair, he does look cute with his hair as it is.” said Liz.

“Well, he knows he has to have it trimmed every now and then.” said John. “But let him decide. He'll probably want it shorter at a later date.”

* * *

July was almost over and the children were on holiday. It was one weekend when John finally got some serious news from the rest of the family. It was Helen who called.

“Oh, hi mom.” said John. “Where have you been?”

“Long story.” said Helen. “You want to know, I've moved in with Anne and her children.”

“Anne? You mean Adam's wife? What is going on?” asked John.

“Plenty. Adam is gone, he broke up with Anne in June, the divorce has only been formal for a few weeks.” said Helen.

“Well I never.” said John. “So what happened between them?”

“He started an affair and got caught out.” said Helen. “But that is only half the story.”

John listened with interest. The next part caught him off guard.

“His oldest son is transgendered. Peter is now living as Jessica and recently went full time.”

“Oh my God. This is Sally again, isn't it?” said John.

“I'll put you on to Anne if you like?” said Helen.

“Please do.” said John. “If I see that brother of mine, I'll kill him for sure!”

“Anne Smith here, hi John.” said Anne.

“Hi Anne, sorry about your son, or I should say, daughter.” said John. “Taken your maiden name I see.”

“Yes, sorry about Helen, but she wanted everything kept quiet until Adam was out of the way.”

“So, how is your daughter now?” asked John.

“I presume you mean Jessica? She is getting along fine. Took to her new life like a fish to water.” said Anne. “Adam was so determined to stop this happening, but after I heard about Sally, I sided with Jessica. I can only think that he started this affair to get even with me for doing so. I'm happy now, Jessica is happy, as is her sister.”

“So, you know about Sally then?”

“I'd heard so much from Adam, but then Helen told me a bit more. When Adam rued her failed suicide attempts, I felt my relationship with him start to fail. I put my entire support behind Jessica from then on.”

“I'm sorry about that.” said John. “I just hope you can find someone who will understand your daughter for who she is.”

“No hurry for that at the moment.” said Anne. “But, my children would like to meet the uncle they've only heard of. They've met Sally already and even I think she is wonderful.”

“She is, isn't she.” said John. “But if you want us to visit you, I think we can arrange that. My children would like to say hello.”

“We would like that. Thank you. Bye.” said Anne.

“Bye.” said John.

“News from home?” asked Liz.

“Plenty.” said John. “Adam and Anne have divorced. Their eldest son is now living as a girl.”

“What?!” said Liz. “It certainly hasn't been quiet then. Does Sally know?”

“Yes, she's been to see them.” said John. “That brother of mine, if I ever get my hands on him!”

“Was he at fault for the divorce?” asked Liz, though she guessed he was.

“Yes, he had an affair, though having a transgendered child must have been the main reason.” said John.

“So, what's happening now?” asked Liz.

“Mom has moved in with Anne and her children. Their new daughter is enjoying her new life.” said John. “Though they won't see their uncle, our children can now meet their Aunt Anne and their cousins. We're free to visit them.”

“Wonderful. They'll be thrilled.” said Liz. “Should they know about the transgendered child?”

“Best not. At her age, they won't know, unless they catch a glance somewhere.” said John.

“But, they'll be just be excited to know they can visit them.” said Liz.

They soon got their children together and told them that they could visit their cousins in the Midlands.

“Wow, we can get to meet our Uncle Adam at last!” said James.

“That won't be happening.” said John. “Your Uncle Adam doesn't live with your Aunt Anne anymore.”

“Why not?” asked Emma.

“He did something bad. He found another woman.” said Liz.

“He had an affair.” said James. “Some friends at school said their parents did that. Now they don't see the one.”

“Well, that is what happened. But you can see your Aunt Anne and your cousins.” said John.

“How old are they?” asked James.

“Around your age. There's three of them, 2 girls and a boy, I think.” said John.

“Great, 2 girls!” said Emma. “At least I won't be bored when we visit.”

“You pleased?” asked Liz to Michael, who was yet to say anything.

“Yes.” he said. “New friends for me, I suppose.”

* * *

The season tickets arrived at the end of July. By then, the fixture list for the new season had been announced. They had booked up their annual holiday at the beginning of August, so as not to miss the first home game of the season. They needn't have worried, for Newcastle didn't play at home until the second week in.

It was a quiet day with Michael and Emma once more reading books. James was admiring his season ticket, or more so, season card. A lot of clubs had switched to using plastic cards with electronic chips on them.

“Ok, you've admired it long enough.” said John, taking the season card. “I'll hold on to it for you.”

“I'm really looking forward to the first game.” said James.

“Well, we've got a holiday first, so look forward to that instead.” said John.

“I'm just wondering when we should go and see Anne.” said John later that day.

“What about over Christmas?” suggested Liz. “You know we usually see Helen then. We can make it a real family affair.”

“Good idea. But I'll leave that for now. Just got holidays to think about.” said John.

The days went by and August arrived. The week in Skegness was upon then and the children were asked to go to bed early, just so they could get an early start the next day.

“We always go to bed early when going on a long trip.” grumbled James.

“Stop complaining. You want to go?” said Liz.

“Yes.” he replied.

“Then do as you're told.” she added.

John and Liz had spent the day getting packed, sorting out clothes for everyone, plus all the essentials that one needed when going away.

“You're not taking that?!” remarked James next morning. Michael was holding his teddy.

“Teddy wanted to come, so he's coming.” said Michael.

“Good grief!” sighed James.

“Stop complaining James. He'll get tired of teddy soon enough.” said John.

“Not soon enough.” said James sulkily.

When breakfast was over, they took the suitcases to the car and double checked everything.

“Note for milkman. Check. Back door locked. Check.” said Liz.

“Put Teddy in dustbin.” added James. “Ouch!”

Michael, who still had Teddy in his hand, had directed a kick at James' ankle.

“Stop it. Not like you Michael?” said John.

“He wanted to put Teddy in dustbin.” said Michael.

“Did not.” said James, clutching his ankle.

“If you don't stop complaining about Michael's teddy, I'll put yours in the bin!” said Liz. “And don't tell me you haven't got it. I've seen it on the top shelf.”

James was feeling small. His sense of pride tarnished. He didn't think his parents knew he still had that bear.

“You've still got your teddy?” asked Emma. “I'll look after him if you don't want him.”

“Shut up!” he said, dejected. He felt bad for the first hour or so of the journey, with Michael asking him if he wanted to speak to his bear instead.

When they arrived at Skegness, they found their hotel and headed for their rooms. They had two rooms which were adjoined. One had a double bed and the other had 3 singles. They unpacked their things and decided to make some drinks with the facilities that were provided.

“I'll take the middle one.” said Emma to her brothers.

“Fine with me.” said James. Michael hadn't quite finished teasing him about his bear.

At least, James wasn't pestering Michael over his teddy.

With dinner looming, they left the chance to explore after they had eaten. They were glad that the menu had more than one option for children as Emma didn't like peas but did like baked beans.

With dinner done, they headed out and explored the shops on the front. There were quite a few to look at, plus numerous other things besides. The seal sanctuary and pleasure beach were certainly on the agenda for later in the week.

While the children naturally looked for toys, Liz was already looking for souvenirs of her own, ones that could be used, such as tea towels or dinner mats. John was outside the entrance, perusing the postcards and having a chuckle at the same time.

* * *

They left any souvenir purchases for later, and decided only to buy ice creams instead. They then spent a short time in an amusement arcade looking at the fruit machines. John and Liz were not avid gamblers but enjoyed fruit machines whilst on holiday. They stuck mainly to the machines that offered prizes such as coin falls. They would look around, deciding which looked best, which had more prizes near the edge. Some however, seemed more keen on taking your money than pushing prizes over the edge. Therefore, they spent a brief period of time on one machine to see whether it was worth staying on it for longer. At least the children were kept interested as they watched in eagerness for any prizes that may soon fall.

They stayed out fairly late, returning to the hotel at 8:00pm. The children were promised a day on the beach if the weather stayed fine.

“I don't know why you stopped sleeping with your bear if you still like him?” asked Emma to James as they prepared for bed.

“I'm too old and so is Michael.” snapped James.

“Michael isn't too old for a teddy.” said Emma. “So stop having a go at him over it.”

“This is a boys thing and you don't understand it.” replied James. “Goodnight!”

“Don't listen to him.” whispered Emma to Michael. “I think your teddy is nice.”

Michael smiled appreciatively at her and went to bed.

Next morning, they awoke and got prepared for the day ahead, with Liz making sure they all washed and brushed their teeth. Once that was sorted, they went downstairs for breakfast.

The weather was sunny as hoped, and so they headed to the beach with buckets, spades and wearing swimming clothes under their normal clothes. As they were early, they didn't have trouble finding a spot.

James was interested in burying Michael but never got the chance. He had started on the hole but Emma and Michael, sensing his intention, pushed him in instead and he found himself buried with just his head poking out.

“This isn't how it was supposed to be! Michael was going to be buried!” he shouted.

“Well, you are now.” said Emma. She started to write in the sand beneath him.

“What're you writing?” he asked.

“Never you mind.” said Emma. “Mommy, can you take a photo of James please?”

Liz came along with the camera and looked down at James and smiled.

“Yes, this will look good in the photo album.” she said. “Say cheese.”

James didn't answer but got his photo taken nonetheless. He was eager to be freed from his tomb and see exactly what his sister had written. Before he was though, John came along and looked.

“Oh, very good you two.” he said to Emma and Michael. “Will have to show this photo to his friends at school.”

James was now worried. “Get me outta here!”

He was freed from his tomb and brushed off. He demanded to see the photo on the camera.

“You can see it when I've had it processed.” said Liz. She was aware that he intended to delete the photo upon seeing it.

“Not fair!” he sulked. “I bet it's embarrassing.”

He went over to his brother and sister with a bucket of sand and threw it over them.

“What did you do that for?!” shouted Liz.

“She wrote something embarrassing.” he replied. “I know she did!”

“No need to do that though.” said Liz. “Now say sorry to your brother and sister.”

“No.” he sulked.

“Say sorry!” said Liz. “Or you will not get any more ice creams for the remainder of the week.”

“One little word will not hurt you in the slightest.” said John.

James gave them a stern look, went back to his siblings and quickly apologised.

“Ok, I've said sorry!” he said.

“You need to control your temper!” said John.

“He needs to lose some pride too.” said Liz. “All because he can't cope with us knowing about his old teddy bear.”

“So, he does still have it?” asked John.

“Yes. I do go and clear out their room from time to time. It's on the top shelf.” said Liz. “Doesn't he realise that there are people much older than him who still value their old teddies?”

“He's becoming too image conscious.” said John. “Too much like my brother.”

Liz looked at the photo. She admired Emma's writing: 'I like teddy bears'. There was a simple picture of a teddy underneath the writing.

“I'm going to hold onto this photo.” said Liz.

“Good idea.” said John. “Plus I think he needs to know why he never sees his Uncle Adam.”

* * *

As they headed back to the hotel, John called James to one side and got him to sit on a bench.

“James, I don't like the way you're bossing Michael about. If Michael is doing something that is deemed wrong for his age, we'll let him know, not you.” said John.

“Ok dad.” replied James.

“I want a promise off you that Michael will not be bullied into doing anything because you feel it's right.” said John.

“Why do you stick up for him? He's not a toddler anymore.” said James.

“That may be the case, but he is still young, and you're no adult. Please don't be like your Uncle Adam.”

“I don't even know what my uncle is like!” said James.

“Then, I'll tell you.” said John. “Your uncle is very much like you at the moment. He likes having things his own way. He thinks he knows better than everyone else. Well, he decided that his way of thinking was better than mine. We had an argument and we've hardly spoken to each other since.”

“So, you think you are better than him?” asked James.

“Yes, but there is a reason. My way of thinking involved thinking about others. Your uncle only thought about himself.” said John. “Now, your brother likes his teddy bear. Yes, you think he's too old, but he doesn't. Let him decide when he's too old.”

“Yes dad. But what has this got to do with my uncle?” said James.

“He thought he knew best for someone, but he was thinking only of himself. As a result, that person nearly got hurt badly.”

“Who was that?” asked James.

“I'll just say that that person recovered and is now among friends.” said John.

“Who?” asked James.

“You'll know when you're older.” said John. “But please lay off Michael. Your brother is a good lad, he doesn't need to change, not just yet.”

James thought about it and nodded. “Ok dad. I'll leave him alone. But he needs to toughen up.”

“Leave it to us. We'll help him if he needs it.” said John. “Anyway, let's catch up with the others. Almost time for dinner.”

Though James took his father's advice and left Michael alone, he still felt that his brother needed his help too.

The rest of the week went without trouble. They spent a good many hours on the beach during it, as well as going to the local Pleasure Beach. Emma especially enjoyed the visit to the seal centre. The place looked after seals and sealions, and shows were put on for visitors.

On the last day, they went around the shops and all three children were bought souvenirs. Michael stuck to his love of Ben 10 and made sure that any items he got bore any of the characters.

“I see James is keeping his word.” said Liz. “Do you think he'll keep it?”

“I'm not sure.” said John. “I just have a feeling that he'll still try to get Michael to behave more boyish.”

“I'm sure school will help Michael. He just needs to make friends with boys his own age.” said Liz.

“I think so too.” said John.

The children were sad to be going home after their stay in Skegness. They were all smiles though when they were reminded of their Aunt Sally's visit the very next week.

* * *

Sally arrived on the Sunday after they came back and was all set for a near week long stay. She always used these week long holidays from work to stay with her brother. Her mom lived local to her, so visits to see her were easily made.

John always made her welcome and so did the children. They considered her like a second mother and she would have welcomed such a title, though they knew not why.

With John back at work, Liz was left with 3 children to look after for most of the day. With Sally around, the burden was lessened.

“So, still into Ben 10 and long hair, are we?” asked Sally to Michael.

“Yes.” he said softly.

“Still shy too.” added Sally.

“We're hoping school will cure that. Only a few weeks to go till then.” said Liz. “Still got to get him his uniform.”

James was in charge of the telly and watching some of his favourite shows. Emma and Michael had resorted to their other favourite hobby: reading.

“Nice to see them reading.” said Sally. “Most kids nowadays go for computer games.”

“We try to get them started on books early.” said Liz. “Though James is keen to get a Nintendo DS.”

“Friends at school have one, I suppose?” said Sally.

“You've got it.” said Liz. “Though we might get him one for Christmas.”

She said the last bit in a whisper since James was nearby.

John and Liz were keen to know a bit more about Anne and her family, especially Jessica. But seeing that they wanted the truth about Jessica hidden from their children, the subject wasn't brought up until the late evening when they were in bed.

“We were thinking of saving our first visit until Christmas.” said John. “I might phone them to let them know.”

“I can always tell them.” said Sally. “I visit often now.”

“So, what are your impressions on Jessica?” asked John.

“Plain and simple, she's a girl.” said Sally. “She loves clothes and dolls and can't wait for her hair to grow down her back. A bit like me when I was younger.”

“So, how old is she?” asked Liz.

“She is 6. Had her last birthday in March.” said Sally. “Though she'll be happier at her next birthday for sure: first as a girl.”

“So, she's just a few months older than Michael.” said John. “So, about her siblings?”

“Older sister called Sandra, almost 2 years older to the day. Long medium brown hair which she now wears curly, jealous of Jessica whose curls are natural. Then youngest is Edward, now the man of the house. He has just turned 4.” said Sally.

“Well, they seem a nice lot.” said Liz.

“Oh, they are nice.” said Sally. “Very close too. I promised to go shopping with them on Saturday, so I'll have to cut my stay here short.”

“Well, I'm glad to see you've become friends with Anne. Hopefully, we can do the same.” said John.

Talk about the Smiths was dropped for the remainder of her stay. For now, the children wanted to make the most of the remainder of their summer holidays. They didn't like the way the shops promoted their end.

“They were selling the 'Back to School' stuff before the holidays had even begun.” said Liz to Sally.

“Isn't that the case with everything?” replied Sally. “Easter eggs on sale in December, the Christmas items will be out in a few weeks.”

“Don't remind me.” said Liz. “I have 2 birthdays to deal with in the weeks leading up to Christmas.”

They were out shopping and they had the children with them. One of the reasons was to get Michael a few items for school. Even though James had a few old items that would do, Liz felt it necessary to get Michael some new clothes too.

“How about getting your hair trimmed?” asked Sally. “It is getting a little long.”

Michael gave her a dirty look and walked off.

“I've tried to ask him, but he won't listen.” said Liz. “I suppose you had that problem though?”

“It wasn't till college that I started to grow my hair, but just down to my shoulders.” said Sally in a low voice. “It wasn't until I started transitioning that I got to grow it longer. But, as you said, my parents did have a few complaints about it.”

“He should have his hair cut.” said James. “It's too long.”

“Is my hair too long?” asked Sally.

“No, but women and girls can have long hair.” he replied.

“Is that so?” said Sally. “I see loads of men with long hair now, but no one says anything.”

“It's not cool for long hair on boys.” he retorted.

“But Michael thinks otherwise. He saw some American boys on telly with long hair.” said Liz.

“Any way, who says it isn't cool?” asked Sally.

“Friends at school. They don't have their hair long.” said James.

“We've done this argument already.” said Liz. “You shouldn't depend on others for choices that are yours to make.”

“Meaning?” asked James.

“Be yourself.” said Sally. “And leave your brother alone.”

“He has been like this for a while.” said Liz. “And though we told him to stop it whilst on holiday, he still tries it.”

“He'll learn one day. Maybe he needs a hard lesson to show him.” said Sally.

“Maybe, it just needs Michael to become less shy.” said Liz. “But he is no harm. As I've said before, he just needs to make friends and become involved with them.”

Because of her proposed shopping trip with Anne and her children, Sally made her way home on Thursday, giving her a chance to rest before seeing her other relatives.

As ever, the children were sad to see her go.

“You know I visit as often as I can.” she told them. “But it is a long way to come.”

“I don't think you've been loved as much as this?” asked John.

“I don't know. But from a family point of view, life has been just getting better.” she replied. “See you bro.”

“Bye sis.” said John, hugging her.

* * *

As the summer holidays drew to a close, the children were gearing themselves for the return to school. Though James had left Michael alone for the most part since the holiday in Skegness, he still thought Michael was treading on thin ice with his sensitive behaviour.

“Lets make that hair of yours look more boyish.” said Liz as she prepared Michael for his first day at school. “Cheer up. With your cheery attitude and smile, you shouldn't have any problems finding friends.”

“Don't worry bro, you should be ok.” said Emma.

Michael looked at her and smiled. Her hair had been plaited and it looked really nice. He could only dream for now of having his hair like hers. John wasn't there to say goodbye, having had to go to work early.

James never said much and just followed them out to the car.

Upon arriving at the school gates, Liz decided to escort Michael to the entrance. She wasn't the only one as there were plenty of parents giving their children some first day advice.

“Now, take care. I'll be back for you this afternoon.” she told him. “Look, there are other boys, just as nervous as you. You'll be fine. Now just enjoy yourself.”

“Bye mom.” he said, giving her a hug.

“Bye sweetie.” she said.

He watched all the way as she headed back to the car. She was right. He was nervous.

When she was totally out of sight, he turned and looked around. Emma had gone to find her friends. He could see her chatting with them, and she clearly was ignoring him.

“Hi. You new here too?” came a voice.

Michael turned and found a boy speaking to him.

“Yes, just nervous, that's all.” he said in a low voice.

“My name's Robert. What's yours?” said the boy.

“Michael.” said Michael.

“Nice to meet you Michael.” said Robert. “You got brothers and sisters here?”

“My brother started juniors and my sister is still in infants.” replied Michael. “You have long hair?!”

“Oh, yes.” said Robert matter of factly. “My mom thinks I look ok with it like this.”

Robert's hair was also down to the base of his neck.

“My brother wants me to cut mine.” sighed Michael.

“I don't have a brother. Just an older sister.” said Robert. “But why does he want you to cut it?”

“Because it's not cool.” said Michael.

“I think you look cool.” said Robert.

Michael smiled. In Robert, he appeared to have found a friend.

This proved good too, as Robert and Michael found themselves in the same class. They sat together and got along fine. If either of Michael's parents had seen this development, they would have been proud.

For now, Liz was getting used to a new chapter in her life: a day all alone. She had housework as usual, but no longer was there any of her children for company.

Back at school, Michael's friendship with Robert was growing quickly as they soon exchanged interests and hung out during breaks and at dinner time. Emma was quick to notice this, and smiled at the sight. She then went back to talking with her own friends.

She met him on the way out after school and smiled. He was walking back with Robert, talking as they had been all day. After saying goodbye to Robert, Emma spoke to Michael.

“You've made a friend, I see.” she said. “I'm glad you have. But he has long hair too! Oh, James is going to find that annoying!”

Michael smiled at the thought. “He is, isn't he!”

James joined them moments later but they had reached the fence and met Liz before he could say anything.

“Mommy, Michael has got a friend!” said Emma.

“Has he now?” said Liz, a smile on her face. She looked to Michael, whose own smile confirmed it.

James looked over and stared in amazement.

“Shy? Insecure?” said Liz to him. “Yet, here is our Michael and he has found a friend.”

“And he's got long hair, you drip!” said Emma into James' face.

“No surprises there then.” said James.

“But he's got a friend.” said Liz. “Now, get in the car please.”

It was clear that Michael had enjoyed his first day at school. He happily talked about his new friend to his parents all afternoon. Both looked at each other and smiled.

“This Robert has brought him out of his shell, it appears.” said John before they went to bed.

“It appears so.” said Liz. “I'm so pleased for him.”

The next day, Michael was more keen to get to school and renew his friendship with Robert. All appeared well as the two boys continued to get on. If only others in the playground would tolerate it.

Billy was in the the final year of infants and had already established himself as a bully. Though he still had victims to pick on, he was always on the lookout for more. Two new first years with girlishly long hair seemed like a good choice.

“Hello girls.” he said, as he walked up to them, his 2 cohorts flanking him.

“We're boys if you don't mind.” said Robert.

“Sissy boys to be precise. And I don't like sissy boys.” said Billy. His friends guffawed

“We're not sissies either!” said Robert. “Who do you think you are?”

“Someone who doesn't like smart arse idiots like you!” said Billy. He went and grabbed Robert by the collar.

“Leave him alone!” said Michael.

“Oh, and why should I?” said Billy.

“Because I'm going to do this!” said Robert. He swung his leg and caught Billy on the shin.

Billy let him go and cursed, rubbing his leg. Robert took Michael by the arm and led him to another part of the playground before Billy's mates could grab them.

“Why did he do that?” asked Michael.

“He is a bully.” said Robert. “He obviously doesn't like us.”

“But why? We haven't done anything to him.” said Michael.

“You don't have to. Bullies are like that. My sister told me about them. They just think they are stronger than everyone else and hurt anyone they consider weaker.”

“But we're not weaker?” asked Michael.

“He thinks so, and he'll be back.” said Robert. “We'll just have to keep out of his way.”

Michael took Robert's advice. During dinner, they hung out in a busier part of the playground. It gave them some sort of protection.

When it came to going home, Michael didn't mention the encounter with Billy. He just smiled as he got in the car. For now, he seemed ok, but Billy wasn't deterred.

up
134 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Glad Michael has a new friend

Glad Michael has a new friend that won't be cowed by a bully. I do believe that when the two families finally get to meet, Michael and Jessica will hit it off, and Michael will really come out of his/her shell. Shoulb really be interesting to see how all the other family members take this.

You're on the money that

You're on the money that Michael will hit it off with Jessica. But there is a lot set to happen before Christmas, and well, it involves the bully.

a new friend

that's good for him/her, but I suspect more trouble with the bully is ahead ...

DogSig.png

true friends

friends stick together. they are like a extended part of your family.

Wolf_0.jpg

Ever thought of doing a backstory on ...

Ever thought of doing a back story about Aunt Sally growing up and her relationships with the family? Also, a story about John after he left so he can do some serious thinking and maybe he will find a TG wife with a TG son who was born a girl.

Of course, you don't need my crazy idea...

TGSine --958