Jessica's Story - Part 5

Printer-friendly version

Jessica's Story - Part 5

Things are settling down in the Smith household, following Adam's departure. The summer holidays are upon them, and a week in Blackpool is soon followed by a shopping trip with Sally.

Jessica's Story – Part 5

Anne was still slightly worried at times for her daughter Jessica. The fear of her being found out hung around like a shadow. But as for behaviour, there was no need to fear. Jessica was every bit a girl in the way she dressed, looked and talked. Only her nether regions could betray the truth about her.

With a holiday to the seaside on the horizon, Anne found herself needing to buy some bathing suits for the girls. She was wondering if one for Jessica would be okay: would it conceal her penis? There was only one way to find out, so with less than a week to go, she took the girls shopping.

“Okay, you can choose the one you like but please not too pricey!” she said to them when they arrived at the swimwear section.

Anne was soon regretting her decision, for the two girls were not in a hurry to make up their minds.

“Can you please decide! And Jessica, I want you to try yours on.” she said as the two continued to mull over the choices. It appeared they wanted to out do one another in the “pretty” stakes.

“Oh, just pick that one, yes, it suits you!” said Anne, getting frustrated.

Jessica had finally decided on a pink suit with a rainbow design. Anne took her hand and led her to the fitting room.

“Sorry, but we haven't got all day, and I want to make sure yours fits.” said Anne, pulling the curtain across. “Okay, lets try this on.”

Jessica took all her clothes off and just grimaced at the unwanted part of her anatomy. Anne just offered a sympathetic hug. “You'll say goodbye to it one day.”

The costume was put on and Anne had to feel round to make sure that it wasn't noticeable.

“It seems to be okay. Have a look in the mirror.” she said to her.

Jessica looked at herself and smiled. It did appear to be “gone”.

“You look very pretty in that. Now lets get your clothes back on and we'll pay for this.” she said. “Have you decided yet Sandra?” she called out.

The curtain opened “Yes, I've decided.” said Sandra, showing an almost identical costume. This one was light blue rather than pink.

“Don't pull the curtain like that. Thankfully Jessica is dressed again.” said Anne angrily. “Okay, you want to try yours on, come on in!”

Eventually they arrived at the till to pay for the costumes. As they were leaving, Anne had a thought and lead them back to the swimwear department.

“Free and single again. Why not?” she thought to herself and headed to where the bikinis were. She soon had found and purchased a new bikini.

“Ok, I know somewhere else where we can get your sandals, sunglasses, sun tan lotion, hats...” she said as they continued down the high street.

After getting all the necessary beach gear, they stopped for lunch at a cafe before heading home.

“Did you get everything?” said Helen as they entered the house.

“Yes, the hats, the swimsuits, the lotion, the sandals, the whole bloomin' lot!” said Anne, dropping the bags on the floor.

“By the way, Sally called and said they can get that garment for Jessica. They just need to order one. I gave her the size, it will take a couple of weeks.” said Helen.

“Oh, that's great. At least she'll have it in time for school.” said Anne.

“Oh, what's this? Sick of the single life already?” said Helen emptying the bags and noticing the bikini.

“I'm more or less taking advantage of the situation. I thought I'd relax a lot more with that.” she replied.

Helen gave a sly smile. The bikini wasn't going to cover that much!

The next few days saw Anne getting ready, packing away all the things she deemed necessary to take.

“Ok, everyone ready?” said Anne on the day they were set to leave.

Jessica and Sandra were standing around waiting for something to happen. Both were wearing t-shirts, shorts and sandals. They were also wearing pink framed sunglasses.

“I think these two are!” said Helen, who was leading Edward along by the hand.

Anne took the suitcases to the car and came back to put Edward in his seat. Soon, everyone else was seated and raring to go.

It wasn't far to the M6 from their house. They stopped off at a service station along the way, for toilets mainly. They spent little money due to the usual hefty prices that these places charged.

The girls were entertained by having some music CDs played, and Helen leading a game of I-Spy.

Having turned off for the M55, the game of I-Spy turned to a game of “Spot the Tower”. It took a while, for the girls hadn't seen Blackpool Tower before. Helen noticed it first from a distance, but decided to give the girls a chance. After being given a quick clue to where on the horizon it was, Sandra had the honour of seeing it first.

As they got nearer, the tower became clearer and larger.

“If you want to, we can go to the top of that.” said Anne to the girls.

“Go to the top? It's very tall!” said Jessica.

“You can see for miles on a clear day!” said Helen. “I haven't been here in ages.”

They ended up heading up the promenade when it came to looking for the guest house.

It wasn't on the prom, but on one of the side streets. Helen decided to tell them a few things about the town as they went. Unfortunately, the illuminations were only on during the autumn, when the early nights came.

“We can get down to the main town and the tower on a tram.” said Helen. “They used to have these nearly everywhere when I was a young girl.”

They noticed that the tower wasn't the only tall structure – the “Big One” rollercoaster dominated the skyline at the south end of the promenade.

“No going on that for you two.” said Anne “Besides, I don't fancy it myself. Too high and too fast.”

After finding the guest house car park, Anne quickly went round and signed in. Helen started to unload the suitcases.

“Got the keys. We have two rooms: one with two singles and one with a double and single.” said Anne.

“So, how you gonna work that?” asked Helen.

“The girls and I will take the larger room while you and Edward have the one with two singles.”

They all went in and made their way to the rooms. As they unpacked, Anne told the girls where they'd be sleeping.

“You girls can have the double bed, while I'll have the single. Gran is next door with Edward.”

“Can't see much, just houses.” said Sandra, looking out of the window. The window only looked across the street.

“Not much to do in here.” said Jessica, noting that the beds and a few empty cupboards were all that filled the room.

“Well, they don't want people staying in all day.” said Anne. “We have our breakfast in the morning and dinner in the afternoon.” Other than that, we can go and see all the shops and sights.”

They finished emptying the suitcases and met down in the reception room. They were met by the owner.

“Mrs Clark, these are my daughters: Sandra and Jessica, my son Edward and my mom-in-law Helen.” said Anne, introducing them all.

“Nice to see you all. By the way, just call me Pat.” said Mrs Clark. “Just to remind you, dinner is at 1:00.”

With that time close at hand, they decided to stay close by, looking at the shops at the south end of the promenade.

They headed back to the guest house for dinner and said hello to the other guests in the process.

For the remainder of the day, they decided to walk along the promenade and just watch the waves.

“Can we go on the beach?” said Jessica.

“What about tomorrow? We have got all week you know.” said Anne. “Lets go and get an ice cream shall we?”

They sat on a wall, eating their ice creams, watching as the tide started to come in.

“You see, this is why I suggested going on the beach tomorrow. Soon the beach will be underwater.” said Anne.

“We could go paddling instead!” suggested Sandra, brightly.

“You haven't got your costumes on. I left them in our room.” said Anne, now starting on the cornet.

“So I hear you are going to have a hair growing contest?” said Helen, noticing Jessica playing with hers.

“I want my hair longer than Sandra's” she said bluntly.

“My hair will be longer!” said Sandra, starting the argument again.

“Okay girls, I shouldn't have said anything. But Jessica, your hair is still a little short. It will look better long.” said Helen.

Jessica agreed, it just covered her ears. While she envied Sandra's length, Sandra herself now envied Jessica's curls. With Kelly's hair also curly, this made her the odd one out.

“Can I have curly hair?” said Sandra to Anne.

“If you want. You'll have to wait till we get home, but I'm not talking about that yet.” said Anne.

“Edward's hair is long!” put in Jessica. Edward's hair had appeared to have been ignored. It was wispy and blond, and getting a little long. Anne was half expecting his hair to get darker. Sandra had started life with almost blonde hair. Her hair was now medium brown, like Anne's. Jessica had been the exception with her hair being a darker shade of brown all along.

“So it is.” said Anne, pretending that she didn't know. “I've been busy allowing one boy to grow his hair so why not Edward too!”

Jessica shot a dark look Anne's way.

“Just kidding! We know you're a girl. No, its just that long hair looks good on infants, boy or girl.” she said.

They sat on the wall a while longer before walking down the promenade towards the South Pier. With two girls disappointed about not being allowed in the amusement arcade, they turned and headed back in the opposite direction. As they neared the Pleasure Beach, they stopped to watch a car climb the lofty first drop on the “Big One”. The screams of those on board were audible from where they were standing.

“I'm certainly NOT going on that.” said Anne repeating her earlier comment.

“Is that a fun fair?” asked Sandra.

“Yes, sort of. There's loads of rides in there. I'm certain there are some in there suitable for you.”

“Can we go there?” asked the girls together.

“Lets go have a look. I suppose we could check the prices.” she said.

When they got there, Helen found that things had changed since her last visit.

“You have to pay to go in now?” she said. “Since when?”

“We introduced the admission fee just over a year ago. Its omitted from the price of any ride tickets you buy.” said the person at the entrance.

“We're here for the week anyway, we'll be back.” said Anne. “Maybe tomorrow, or Monday” she said to the girls.

With that, they turned and headed back onto the promenade.

“Nothing's free nowadays, Helen.” said Anne. “I remember it being free to go in too.”

They walked around the shops outside the Pleasure Beach, till it started getting late.

“I think we'll have some time on the beach tomorrow.” said Anne, as they made their way slowly back to the guest house.

* * *

One of the things that the girls couldn't get during their stay was lie-ins. Breakfast was at a set time each day and if they missed it, tough. Anne made sure they got up in time. Having checked the weather through their window, she had them put on their swimming costumes under some normal clothes. Anne had put on her bikini and too, hid them under some outer wear. With towels, sun lotion and buckets and spades, the family made their way to the beach.

Helen had decided to stick with just a t-shirt and trousers, topped off with a hat and shades. Anne laid the towels out and lay on one. She called the girls over.

“You'll need this!” she said, rubbing lotion into their arms and legs. She went on to doing herself.

The girls decided to start building sand castles, followed by burying a certain little brother. Helen had to rescue him when they nearly buried him completely.

“Almost gave Edward an early funeral! By the way, you're in luck, no men around yet!” said Helen returning with Edward. She added a sly smile to the last bit. Anne's bikini was multi-coloured and certainly eye-catching. She just looked to see if Edward was okay and paid no attention to the latter comment.

The next hour went quickly and with the girls now without a brother to bury, they just tried to build better sand castles than the other. Helen decided to give both help, equally if possible. When they got tired of sand castles, they decided to have a paddle in the sea. Helen decided to follow them, just to make sure they didn't come into difficulties.

“Thanks! I didn't need that!” said Helen as Jessica splashed her.

“Just have some fun!” said Sandra, who was now splashing her sister.

“Can't mommy join in? She hasn't done anything yet!” said Jessica.

“I have an idea!” said Helen.

Anne was still idle, soaking up the sun. She didn't notice the two girls sneaking up on her.

“What the..!” she spluttered, as a bucket of water rained down on her head.

She looked unamused and soaked, with two girls and Helen having a good laugh. She soon saw the funny side and chuckled too.

“We are here to enjoy ourselves!” said Helen “Not to advertise!”

“Okay! Let's have some fun!” Anne said, drying herself. She playfully chased the girls towards the sea again.

“That was fun!” she admitted as they went back to the towels a while later. “Being single does have other pluses.”

The girls were about to start on more castles when Anne intervened.

“Blimey, time has flown! Dinner in a hour. Time to leave girls.” she said, looking at her watch.

They reluctantly dried off and headed back to the guest house. Once there, the girls were ordered to take a quick bath.

“You're right Helen, this holiday is for the kids, but I need to let my hair down too.” said Anne to Helen as they headed for the dining room.

Speaking to the other guests, Anne went on to explain that she was now single again, but didn't say anything about Jessica. To her, Jessica was every bit a girl. After dinner, they decided to catch a tram and head to the northern part of the town.

“I suppose its not too bad, you do get all these extra things inside, you'll be in there most of the day.” said Anne. They were looking at the admission to the tower. With loads of other things to do, especially for children, the high price wasn't too bad.

“We can come down in the week and spend all day in there. We can always have a dinner elsewhere. At least you'll have a choice then.” said Anne to the kids.

The north part was Blackpool proper. All the big shops were up here and some stayed open late. The two girls had their eyes on the clothes shops mainly, which prompted Anne to rethink their ages.

“You are still in primary school and yet you already have an addiction to clothes?!” she said to them. She looked to Helen, who just smiled. “I'm going to have to buy a new wardrobe soon!”

After looking around the shops a few times, they decided to have a look in one of the big arcades.

“I'm not spending too much time, and money, in here.” she said to the girls. “Now lets see what we can find on these coin fall machines.”

“I need the toilet.” said Jessica.

“Ok, lets find it for you.” said Anne. She lead Jessica to the ladies and waited inside for her.

Jessica was aware of the “sit down” policy, though there was no other option. Anne had just gone in to make sure she was okay.

They went back to the machines and found some with keyrings on them. They had various celebrity photos on them. Some were official, some were cheap knock offs. They suceeded in getting two off, with Jessica and Sandra getting them as presents. It had took some money to get them. The girls had just had fun watching the keyrings near the edge, willing them to fall.

When they went back outside, they headed up the promenade looking at the shops along the front, interdispersed between more arcades.

“Care to walk back from here?” she said to the girls. The distance was great. It wasn't nicknamed the “Golden Mile” for nothing. The idea was dropped when it was clear that Edward couldn't walk that far. They opted for a tram ride instead.

Monday saw them head for the Pleasure Beach. Anne and Helen opted to not buy ride tickets, but let the children have the fun. They did relent for the miniature train ride however.

Jessica was walking along with the others when a boy around her age just ran past and pushed her over. Jessica got up but was seething: her knee had been grazed as a result and needed first aid.

“That young lad needs his bottom spanked!” said Helen, seeing what had happened.

“I don't think it was deliberate, but all the same, it was just careless of him. You okay sweetheart?” said Anne.

“It hurts!” she said holding her leg.

They found an assistant who showed them where to go to get help. Helen had a tissue on hand to wipe it. They found the first aid area and soon Jessica was back outside, though she now sported a plaster on her knee. She was still sore.

They headed back for dinner and returned afterwards, the ticket being an all day pass too. When not on rides themselves, they watched other people enjoying themselves, especially those who went on the rollercoasters.

“They must be mad!” said Helen as another car went up the Big One's 235ft initial drop.

Tuesday was spent going round the shops again, this time with the girls getting some new skirts and tops (after pestering Anne).

Wednesday saw them go to the Tower. Anne was glad they had decided to forgo dinner at the guest house as the queue to go up the tower itself was long. At the top, Sandra made it plain that heights were not for her: her face went pale and she felt dizzy. Jessica also felt dizzy looking out across the Irish Sea but she didn't feel as bad as her sister. Anne decided to take some photos anyway, looking down towards the Pleasure Beach. Sandra was feeling much better when they returned to the building below.

One of the many areas was a huge indoor activity area with climbing frames, ball pool, slides and the like. It gave Anne and Helen a chance to put their feet up. Jessica didn't seem to be having problems with her knee, the pain had eased. It was showing as the various parts of the activity area didn't slow her down.

“It has been just a few weeks and already I am forgetting Peter. Jessica has fitted in so well, I can't find words to describe it. Her hair, her dress sense, its like shes been around for ever.” said Anne to Helen.

“I think it fair to say that she always has been around. You've only just noticed her, and now that you have, you love having her around.” replied Helen

“I do, I very much do.” said Anne. She went off to find Edward, who was in an area for toddlers.

* * *

Like the Pleasure Beach, the tickets for the tower lasted the day, allowing one to leave and come back later. This proved handy as they found a cafe in one of the larger amusement arcades. Compared to the eatery in the tower, it was much cheaper and Anne was thankful of it.

On returning to the tower, they looked at the other areas. Only when Sandra and Jessica were finally satisfied, did they leave and look around the shops again.

Thursday: Another open ticket attraction – the Sealife Centre. This entertained the kids more, after the Safari Park back in March, they liked all things to do with wildlife. Likewise, they came out with items from the gift shop. Jessica was more pleased this time, for she got to choose something that was designed with girls in mind: hairclips and ponytail loops, all with dolphins on them. Sandra had settled for a soft toy turtle: she had a soft spot for soft toys. Anne had taken a few more photos which included the children in most of the shots. On the way out, she stopped off at a shop to buy the traditional sticks of rock.

Friday was the last full day. Anne decided to give the girls one more day on the beach, and this time she decided to be more involved with them, though she still wore that bikini. She decided to take more photos and even had Helen take a few so that she could be in the shots.

Saturday was obviously the day they went home. After breakfast, they packed their belongings and made their way to the car. A quick stop off for petrol and the journey home had begun.

Anne again avoided buying food from the service stations, though stopping for a toilet break was necessary. She stopped off at a chippy nearer home and bought fish and chips for all.

Once home, they had their dinner before unpacking. Sandra decided sooner rather than later and started to pester Anne.

“You said I could have my hair curly? I want it done now!”

“I'll see what I can do next weekend. Remember, I'm at work during the week and the hairdresser is shut tomorrow.” said Anne.

Sandra wasn't pleased with this, but Anne hadn't broken her promise. Still, for now, Anne got on the phone and asked Julia if Kelly could come round. Within the hour, Kelly had arrived and Julia decided to hang around too for a chat.

The sisters spent no time wasting in telling Kelly about their holiday.

“So, the girls are still fine?” asked Julia.

“Yes, never better. Just got to visit the hairdresser to keep one happy.” said Anne.

“Which one?”

“Sandra. She's been jealous of your Kelly and her sister for having naturally curly hair. Besides, I wouldn't mind something new.” said Anne, fingering her own hair.

“The benefits of being single!” said Julia. “Got your eye on anyone yet?”

“Not yet, I'm in no hurry. Besides, I need someone who will accept Jessica for who she is.”

“Well, hopefully you'll find someone. You're an attractive woman, someone will want you.” she said, putting an arm around Anne's shoulder. Anne suddenly felt a little tense.

“You ok? I'm not offending you, am I?” Julia asked.

“No, I'm fine!” she said, looking Julia in the face. “I'll go and start supper.”

Anne was trying to figure out what was wrong. When Julia had placed her arm around her, it felt good. She was now afraid and confused. She had never felt this way about another woman before.

Julia soon decided that it was getting late and almost had to drag Kelly out the house.

Sandra and Jessica came down to have their supper: jam butties. After that, they were told to go to bed. Anne went to bed with thoughts of Julia on her mind.

“Julia is just a good friend, that's all, nothing else to it, though she is attractive!” she thought to herself before falling asleep.

Sunday arrived and the sisters were watching a DVD. There was a knock at the door and Anne answered it to find Sally there.

“Why, hello! Great to see you again.” said Anne.

“I've got that item for Jessica. Came in only Thursday.” she said. “Where's mom?”

“Oh, she went round to her house to see if she's had any post while we were away.”

“Hi girls!” said Sally entering the living room. “Sandra, I'm sorry but Jessica is going to get a bit more attention again. I really am going to have to spoil you one day.”

Anne had arrived to see what this garment looked like. Sally took from her carrier bag what looked like a pair of panties, though these were skin coloured.

“These are slightly different to the adult ones, for those have pouches inside them to help tuck it away. These are just meant to fit snuggly and conceal the area. She'll still need to pull them down when going to the toilet.” said Sally. She gave the gaff to Anne. Anne noticed that the front had a some sort of detailing on the front.

“It looks as though theres a.....” she began.

“Yes, you're right. It helps with the illusion. She'll look just like a girl with this on. It is also water proof, so she can wear it under her swimming costume.” said Sally. “Shall we see if it fits?”

Jessica was still a little unflattered by the garment but was ready to try it on. Sandra just watched as they removed Jessica's lower garments and put the gaff on.

“It feels a little tight!” said Jessica.

“It's meant to be. It's designed to keep it hidden, remember. Besides, adults have more to hide and are therefore more uncomfortable. Don't worry, you'll get used to it.”

Jessica looked at it and felt the front. “So whats this?” she pointed at what looked like a thin slit.

“It's your vagina. You look like a girl now. You'll get a real one when you're older.” said Sally

“It's always when I'm older. Won't anything happen now?” she complained.

“Don't wish your life away yet. You've still got some growing up to do.” assured Sally.

The front door was heard. Helen soon came into the living room.

“Sally, wasn't expecting you!” she said.

“Hi Mom!” said Sally, giving her a hug. “Just come to give Jessica her new gaff.”

Helen looked over to see Jessica still half naked. “Blimey, it looks realistic.”

“You can put your clothes back on now, and leave that on.” said Anne to Jessica.

“I'll put the kettle on. Want a drink, Sally?” said Helen.

“Yes please.” she replied. “Now, what did you two do to your mother on holiday?”

“Just relieved me of plenty of money! No, it was fun. They enjoyed it and that was the whole idea.” said Anne.

“Well, I'm heading north tomorrow to spend a week with John and his family. Fancy going out shopping with me on the following Saturday? Besides, I need to get something for Sandra.”

“Well, I'm almost out of money. I need a break from shopping. Besides, how much is that gaff?”

“Nothing, it's my treat. As for refusing shopping? No, no, we can't have that. You're coming, purse or no purse.” said Sally.

“I was going to take Sandra to the hairdresser on Saturday, she wants her hair curly like Jessica's.” said Anne.

“We can do that too. My hair needs a touch up, come to think of it.” she replied. “Haven't thought of having your hair done, Anne? It looks like it needs a new lease of life.”

“I have thought of that. I'm even considering changing the colour.” said Anne.

“Good, we can all have our hair done then.” said Sally.

“Teas up!” called Helen, bringing a tray of cups in.

“So, it looks like the hairdresser is going to get some custom. What about Jessica?” said Sally.

Jessica looked at her, a little apprehensive.

“Jessica is still growing hers. It might help to have the ends trimmed, but having had her hair short for so long, its understandable why she doesn't want to see the scissors just yet.” said Anne.

“Jessica, theres no need to be scared of the hairdresser. You'll learn that a visit to the hairdresser is great way to relax, and I really do want to see your hair longer.” said Sally.”

“So what are you going to get me, auntie?” asked Sandra, eager to get a word in.

“I'm not saying, you'll just have to wait and see.” Sally said.

Sally stopped around for another hour or so. Her company was certainly welcome. The shopping trip with her now seemed like a very good idea.

“So, I'll see you a week tomorrow. And Anne, you'll find someone eventually. Not everyone is like Adam.” said Sally as she prepared to leave.

“Have you ever dated?” asked Anne.

“Me? I did date a woman once. I've had flings with men too, but since they were gay men, it never worked.”

“You dated a woman?” said Anne. “And gay men?”

“I did. She was a great friend. I lost contact with her after returning home. As for the gay men, they only wanted one thing, the thing I wanted to get rid of.”

“I see. Well, thanks for coming by. We are looking forward to Saturday.” said Anne, and with that Sally left and headed back to her car.

* * *

With Anne at work every day, the kids were left with just Helen for company. However, Wednesday saw another visit from Kelly, after arrangements were made with Julia. The young blonde girl was now almost like an extra sister, such was the relationship that had been formed.

“Do you miss your daddy?” Sandra asked her that day.

“Not really.” she said. “I was just 3 at the time so I don't remember him that much.”

“We don't miss our daddy that much. He hated me because I was a girl and not a boy.” said Jessica.

“And he remained in the front room all day, never seeing any of us. We were used to not seeing him before he left.” added Sandra.

“So, when we go back to school, I want to sit next to you in class!” said Kelly brightly.

“Of course I will, us girls together.” answered Jessica.

Jessica was looking forward to her first year at school as a girl, but the fear of being outed still hung over her. She didn't make it known at this time. Kelly stayed for the rest of the day and even for dinner. When Julia decided to have a quick chat inside before taking her daughter home, she sensed that tension again in Anne. She just glanced and then smiled.

After they went, Helen went up to Anne and asked what was wrong.

“I'm not sure how to put this, but I think I'm attracted to Julia.” she said quietly.

“What makes you think that?” asked Helen.

“The last time, she put her arm around me and I felt strange, but yet comfortable. I admit that I've had similar feelings while at college, but never like this.” answered Anne. “Call me crazy, but I think I'm crushing on her.”

“Well, I won't say that, but are you certain? She just gave you a hug, that just suggests friendship, not love. I shouldn't say anything to her, in case you offend her. She has been a good friend these past few months, don't ruin it.” said Helen.

Anne was left to mull over her mixed feelings for Julia again. At least when Saturday arrived, it offered some distraction.

“Ready to go?” asked Sally. Just her, Anne and the two girls were going. Helen was staying put and looking after Edward.

“Ok, where first? Hairdresser or shops?” said Sally.

“Why don't we do the hairdressers first?” said Anne. Then we can choose clothes to compliment the hair.

“Good thinking, hairdressers it is!” said Sally. Jessica was still nervous, and was stroking her hair more than ever.

When they arrived, the head stylist was there to greet them.

“Morning ladies, what can we do for you?” she said.

“Morning, I'd like to just go a little more wavy, and go a shade darker.” said Sally, who then gestured Anne to speak next.

“I was thinking of having some curl to my hair too, though I fancy going red.” she said.

“And for the young ladies?” said the stylist.

“They just want styling, thanks. Sandra wants to have curly hair like her sister. Jessica is still growing her hair and just needs the ends trimming.” said Anne.

Jessica wasn't pleased with the “trimming” part. She wanted her hair as long as possible and it had seemed like forever to get it to its current length.

With only two stylists at the ready, Sally and Anne went first, especially as they wanted their hair colouring too.

Sandra and Jessica sat down and watched. Jessica was not looking at ease.

“What's up sis?” asked Sandra.

“They're gonna cut my hair!” she muttered.

“It will be alright. Mommy trimmed my ends from time to time, or so she says. Something about spilt ends?”

“Split ends!” said Anne from her chair. “They hinder growth. Your hair grows better with out them.”

“I still don't want my hair cut!” said Jessica in a huff.

The girls watched as Anne and Sally had their hair covered in paste and then put in sheets of foil.

Eventually both got up and sat to one side.

“Funny look mommy. Certainly suits you!” Sandra chuckled.

“Ha ha, very funny. We have to wait for the dye to set first. While they wait for us, they're gonna do you two!” said Anne, seeing the funny side of Sandra's comment.

One stylist called Sandra over, while the other called Jessica. The latter was still reluctant to go over.

“Come on, we are just going to tidy it up.” she said.

Jessica slowly walked over and climbed into the chair.

“Okay Jessica, I'm just going to trim the ends for you. I presume you've never had it long before?”

“Never.” said Jessica.

“She's decided to end her tomboy ways!” called Anne from the other side of the room.

“Well, you're making a good choice. I think it might help to style it a bit more, so that it frames that pretty face of yours.” said the stylist who saw that Jessica was still proving hard to please.

“Don't worry, I promise you that when your hair continues to grow, it will look better than ever.”

“You promise?”

“Very much. I see your sister is having her hair curled. Jealous of you?” said the stylist.

“I think so.” said Jessica, who looked across and saw Sandra having rollers put in her hair.

“Well, her curls won't last. They'll come out eventually. You've got them forever.” said the stylist now with scissors in her hand.

The snipping sound filled Jessica with dread. It didn't last long. Then came the styling. She noticed that her ears were now being covered completely. This was some comfort at least. Her hair did look slightly shorter though. She had been given a bob style.

“It still looks short!” she said deflated.

“Trust me, when it grows, it will cover your shoulders. Wouldn't that be nice?”

A small smile from Jessica was the only answer she got.

Jessica was the first to be finished. Anne came and took her place and waited for hers to be styled.

“You look wonderful!” said Sally, who was still waiting. “I know how you feel, just to have your hair flowing down your back. It always seems to take ages, but once its reached your shoulders, its all good from there. It'll be there before the year is out.”

“But I want it long now!” said Jessica.

“You have to be patient. Things come to those who wait. But look on the bright side: you have a hair style that shouts girl. No one will think of you as a boy. You are a girl now, you don't need long hair to tell me that.” she said, her voice low so that only Jessica could hear her.

“Wow! You look great sis!” called Sandra as she was lead to one of the driers, her hair full of rollers.

“See, your sister thinks you look great.” said Sally, just before she was called over to have her own hair finished.

Jessica just sat back for a moment. She looked on the table to see if there were any comics amongst the magazines. The walls were covered in photos of women sporting different styles. She took a dislike to those with shorter styles, prefering the longer styles.

“Well now, you look really pretty.”

Jessica looked up, recognising the voice. She didn't at first recognise the red haired woman that came with it.

“Mommy! You look.. wonderful!”

“Glad you like it. I thought red might suit me. You look wonderful too, it looks better round your face.”

“It's still short though.” said Jessica glumly.

“Your hair will grow, and thicker too. But I'm right in thinking Sally has given you this talk already?”

Jessica nodded.

“Well, you won't need it styling again for a long while. All the more time to grow it. Now, I think I saw you looking at the magazines.”

“I was looking for comics, but I can't find any.” Jessica replied.

“Well, never mind. We've got some clothes shopping to look forward to.” said Anne, giving her a slight hug.

“Just something else – what did you mean by tomboy?” she asked Anne.

“A tomboy is a girl who dresses and behaves like a boy. They like short hair. Most grow out of it and start acting girly. In a way, you've been a tomboy of sorts.”

They sat waiting for the others. Sandra was first. Her hair looked wonderful with curls and even Jessica had to smile.

“If my hair is like this when long, you're so beaten!” she joked.

“I might have to admit defeat sis when that day happens. I still lead on length though.” said Sandra.

“You both look wonderful. Sandra, curls do suit you. I think we need to come back here often for you.” said Anne.

“Well, if it isn't my twin sister?” said Sally responding to Anne. Sally's darker auburn was not too dissimilar to Anne's new red shade. She went to the till and paid.

After they left, Anne turned to Sally.

“I know we're sisters in law, but I don't mind dropping the in-law bit.”

“Thanks, I like that. You've been kind to me since we first met.” said Sally. “Ok girls! Lets attack the shops!”

* * *

Sally took them to the huge shopping centre on the outskirts.

“Nothing more enjoyable for women than a day shopping!” said Sally.

“I agree, though I never got to do much with Adam. Unless there was any shops up his street.” said Anne. “You're making me feel young again doing this.”

They headed for the first clothes shop they noticed. Sally was looking for something for Sandra. The thing was that Jessica was also taking a keen interest. Sally had to point out that she owed Sandra after getting her the gaff. However, she noticed that Jessica had taken a keen interest in one particular dress, that she bought it her anyway. To compensate, Sandra ended up with a new pair of shoes too, to go with the dress she had been bought.

“I want a few more dresses.” admitted Jessica.

“Spoken like a true girl. However, your mom and I need to treat ourselves now.” said Sally with a smile.

After Anne and Sally had chosen new clothes, they headed for the food court to eat.

“Jessica and Sandra are getting the bug for this, Anne. You'll have to rake in more money at this rate!” said Sally.

“I've already admitted to myself that I need to get a bigger wardrobe to put their clothes in. Thanks for this, I'm really enjoying it.” said Anne.

“Sure, it's just my way of saying thanks for being my friend and for helping young Jessica. Not forgetting Sandra, I'm sure she has helped her sister plenty.” said Sally

Sandra blushed at this. “I love my sister to bits, I'd be lost without her.” she said.

“I know you would!” said Anne, chuckling.

“Well, I would like to make a habit of this, I'm sure my wallet would disagree, but shopping is in our blood.” said Sally.

“How was your week up north?” asked Anne.

“Oh fine.” said Sally. “I really like staying with them. Wonderful family.”

“So, John has a family, but what are they like?”

“Wonderful, two sons and a daughter. All born up in Newcastle. They are getting the local accent while John and Liz still have our accent.” said Sally. “But you'll love them. Very down to earth.”

“I suppose they've been asking about us?” asked Anne.

“Of course, but I haven't mentioned anything that I know you wouldn't approve of. You needn't worry about Jessica, they are keeping it quiet from their children for now.”

“Just like you?” said Anne.

“Well, it's out of safety for them and for me. They could just happen to make my past known to someone and well, you know what Adam was like.” said Sally. “I don't think they would ever have a problem, as John is bringing them up to respect others for who they are.”

“Well, Jessica has a friend in the know already, but she won't tell.” said Anne.

“We made her swear on her pinky.” said Sandra.

Sally just smiled. “I just adore kids.”

Anne was finding it hard to believe that Sally used to be male. She spoke and acted like a woman, there was nothing remotely masculine about her at all. She found Sally to be the sort of person whose company she could never get tired of.

Afterwards, the girls insisted on going to a toy shop.

“I want a dolls house!” said Sandra. Jessica nodded in agreement.

“Well, not today. Maybe Christmas. I presume it would be for both of you, not one each?” said Sally.

The girls gave a look which seemed to point to the latter.

“Just the one. You can share, just like you do over at Kelly's.” said Anne.

“So you'll get us one?” they asked together.

“Christmas!” said Sally.

After leaving the toyshop, they were heading down one corridor when Sandra pointed out.

“Is that daddy over there?”

Anne looked over and sure enough, it was him. He had a young blonde woman with him. They decided it would be best if they avoided him. However, it seemed he noticed them. He had started walking towards them.

“Anne? Is that you?” he said.

“Yes, it is. What do you want?!” said Anne, not at all pleased to see him.

He looked over and saw Sally and the girls. His look became sour.

“So, you're planning on doing a freak show?” he said to Anne. Sally threw an evil glance at him.

“If you don't like my company, then just please go away!” said Anne, looking at him with disgust. “This woman is your sister and has been more of a friend than you ever were these past few months!”

“I'm not his sister anymore!” said Sally, confronting her brother. “I wanted a truce with my family. You were the only one who turned it down. Now, I'm disowning you, you stuck up pig!”

“I can deal with that! I only associate with proper people!” he said, walking away, his girlfriend looking to him for answers.

“Well, if you want to associate with with 'proper people', I suggest you look for them in a pig sty!” shouted Sally.

This got a chuckle from Anne. Adam just looked back in disgust.

“And while you're at it, find a time machine and go back to the Victorian era where you and your opinions belong!” shouted Anne.

“You were right to divorce him, stuck up cow!” said Sally. “I was ready to forgive him, all these years, I was. Having heard about Jessica, I knew he hadn't changed.” Anne decided that the language was forgivable, in front of her two daughters.

“I've changed.” said Anne. “I was like him, but I know better now.”

“You don't need to say sorry Anne. You've already done that by being my friend and helping Jessica.”

“You too.” smiled Anne. “Shall we go home?”

“Come on then, my purse is feeling lighter.” said Sally.

With that, they headed to the car and set off for home.

up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Liked Sally's and Anne's

Liked Sally's and Anne's comment to Adam. Although in my very humble opinion, they were not as harsh as they should have been.

I think they would have

I think they would have turned the air blue, but for the fact that they had the girls with them.